If I Can do It; You Can Do It.
- My secret is that I take a multivitamin, Drink Lots of orange juice, eat full fat yogurt, take vit D, 1 tbs coconut oil, eat 100 calories of anything I want every day, which includes crackers and 70% dark chocolate, plus walk the dog 20 -30 minutes. I take 112 of synthroid so thought it impossible to lose weight. I did a cleanse for the first time Jan 1st and although have been losing slowly, I am losing. 20 pounds so far which is unheard of from me. I have set myself a very long goal date of another year to lose another 20 pounds so do not feel guilty when I slip, which is often. In fact, I have indulgence days then cut back the next day and I change my exercise program often to include different videos along with walking the dog. I just dropped my blood pressure medicines. I think the cleanse and the vitamins and exercise are the biggest help. I cut out adding sugar or sweetners of any kind. Good luck everyone. See yourself as thin as well - believe it to conceive it!
- —Guest Sandra Girard
- I had to do the radioactive iodine capsule in 2001 and it has been hard to lose weight. I did lose 40 lbs at one point but I had to do an atkins type diet to lose it. I gained 15 back and very frustrated. I take a thyroid supplement every day now.
- —Guest geri
- I know how you feel. I have been struggling with 35 lbs overweight. It's very depressing. My husband says I am plump and that hurts.
- —Guest upset
- I went to a nutritionist and she told me soy interferes with the absorption of thyroid hormone. I was drinking a soy protein shake every morning. I thought I was doing something good for me. I stopped all soy products (be careful it's in everything) and lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks.
- —Guest Betsy L
- This is the only diet that has worked for me. I lost 2 5lbs. in one month. It is like it reset my metabolism. No matter what I eat I stay at the weight when I stopped the drops. It is now time to start the diet again. I hope to drop another 25 lbs in one month because my son is getting married in 6 weeks.
- —Guest Melissa K.
Exercise & Weight Loss
- I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's more than 10 years ago and am now postmenopausal and struggle with my weight. I eat fairly healthy and have to exercise like crazy to lose any weight at all. I do 30-40 min of aerobic dancing, which I like and really makes me sweat. I follow that with 30 min of walking/running between 4.0-5.5 on treadmill. I've been doing this while tracking my calories, eating fresh vegetables, whole grains, and I don't drink anything but water. I've finally lost 3 lbs...it's been a struggle! I get discouraged, but I'm going to keep it up and hopefully it will work.
- I've had hypothyroidism ever since I was about 4 or 5 years old. When I was diagnosed, I was skinny but them over time I became fat. I'm just gonna say it, I was fat for a little kid. Now, I've learnd that you must MUST control your eating portions! Meaning, you must watch how much you eat. If you can't stand watching yourself then you can do what I do, drink 1-2 cups of water before a meal. Since water is just water, you won't gain weight with it and you'll be much fuller than without drinking water. So yeah drink 1-2 cups of water before a meal. I did that and I've lost 4 pounds within a week! I think that's pretty good for me considering I didn't go to the gym.
- —Guest Ann
I have lost 120 lbs
- I lost 120 pounds by doing a low carb, low fat, high lean protein diet. I cut out sweets and processed foods as well. If you can't pronounce the words on a food ingredient label, it probably is not that good for you. Exercising is important as well, even if it is just parking at the back of the parking lot so you walk further to get places. Menopause caused me to gain back 40 lbs which I am in the process of losing now. My old diet did not work as well this time; so I am trying HCG which is giving me great results. Whatever you do, don't give up on yourself. Dieting is not easy, but when you finally discover the real reasons you overeat, or just eat the"wrong" foods (stress, comfort, anxiety, relationship, ect.) It does get a bit easier to get your perspective in line with your desired goals.
- —Guest K.T. Chayse
Exercise is Key
- I have a thyroid problem and it was overactive for years until I had to get radioactive iodine to control it. After that treatment I started gaining the weight and although I did not eat a lot I could not lose the weight. Now I work out 6 days per week. I walk some days and spin 2 days per week and one day per week I take a zumba class and this has helped me to reshape my body. I do portion control and eat as much as possible so that my metabolism is fired up.
- —Guest Susie
- I stopped smoking 7 years ago and started picking up weight steadily even though I was doing strenuous exercise. I also was pre-menopausal as well being 50 years old and living through a life of being a slim and trim 64 kg was something I was used to. What a shock to rise in weight up to 80kg no matter what. So I started studying all about diet and changed my life completely....Did it work? The answer is a big fat NO! Nothing changed but I did find out I have a slow thyroid I also went into strict detox mode, no sugar, no white flour, no white rice and mainly salads, veges and fruit with chicken, turkey and fish as protein. I also joined a beauty salon and went through ozone detox in a sauna pod for 8 weeks as well as slimming pads and somehow that pudgy lumpy look disappeared along the way. I still weigh a lot and so can say do not worry about weight, rather lose fat, concentrate on chopping that soft lumpiness away and use oils to massage.
- —Guest Melody
Do a Fruit Meal Replacement Smoothie
- I am 23 and have two kids.. My friend got me started on this fruit smoothie in the morning and at dinner time. I was 200 lbs and at 5'4 that's considered obese. I have been doing them for about a month now and with regular exercise have lost 22 lbs. I spoke with my doctor and it;s totally healthy. I take my Levoxyl in the morning with a bottle of water and make a shake. If you're the type to procrastinate and complain than this isn;t for you. But when you see the weight drop it becomes addictive because you feel good and see the results! It works with vegaeables too!!!!!! Just make sure you add protein powder and it's awesome. Just know that if you are determined you will get there and dont give up!!!
- —Guest Melissa
Phentermine Worked, But At What Cost?
- Phentermine is the only thing that seems to have worked in the past. I have used it 3 times since diagnosis 12 years ago, and each time the weight slowly creeps back on. Now, I have some other health conditions that make it more dangerous for me to use Phentermine again and I'm at my wit's end. I watch what I eat and have recently stepped up my exercise. I have increased my cardio from 4 to 6-7 times a week for 60 to 90 minutes and follow with 30 minutes of weight lifting. All that seems to happen is that I lose and regain 3 pounds over and over! I need to lose about 30 lbs. to be at the upper end of a healthy weight for my height. I take Synthroid and live in the sticks where I can't get anyone to give me anything else. When I used Phentermine it was the only time I felt like my pre-hypo self. I was always energetic and naturally slim, now I'm just big and sleepy.
- —Guest Susan
30 Lbs Gone
- I have a underactive thyroid and work a 12 hr night shift which makes it easy for me to gain weight and hard to take it off. What I found and that helped me lose the weight was eating more, eating better, and at different times. On my 1st break I have black coffee and a snack, anything from bagel w/cream cheese to an Atkins bar, sometimes even a candy bar from the vending maching. On my 2nd break about 3 am I have my "dinner," could be a sandwhich, steak or chicken, a salad, and then load up with celery, almonds, carrots, peanut butter, tomatoes (I eat alot at this time) then when I get home I eat a yogurt and ride my exercise bike for 30 mins. When I get "stuck" and stop dropping weight I start up on WII Fit cardio or upper/lower body work, if its been awhile I'll do 15 mins of each if I've been good and can hang I do 30 of each. I feel good and have more energy, and the tummy has gone down so much! They say it's the yogurt, helps rid of belly fat and I believe it!
- —Guest Shirley
Finally Started to Lose Weight
- When I started to gain, an endo told me I was on the low end of normal, my cholesterol levels were almost equal and in the 200's but he said I wasn't hypo. I gained 40 pounds before I found a holistic doctor. He first tested and found high levels of heavy metals. He treated my heavy metals problem and my adrenal problem first (from high levels of stress for many years) and then treated the thyroid problem with Armour and Westhroid which worked equally well. When I got up the nerve to try a diet again, it worked! And it worked 2 pounds a week for the first time since I was a teenager. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day - it's key for hypo problems.
Exercise, But It's Not Enough
- I swim 5 different strokes for 30 minutes every day. I started after being put on Synthroid. Didn't have the energy when on levothyroxine. I lost one dress size because of muscle toning, but weight remains at 250. No change in number for 3 months. I am now progressing to treadmill and muscle confusion. Still no change. Now, I'm going back on Atkins diet because in the past I lost on it - the ONLY diet I have lost on and I've tried almost all of them. Low fat, low carb, and finally gout. Going to start back on it today. I'm sick of being heavy. I'm ready to do anything. I feel like the weight is glued onto me.
- —Guest saraabrooks