"I could tell a difference mentally/emotionally the very first day with Nature-Throid…my spirits lifted…that day. And that only got better. I realized in retrospect (dang that hypo brain fog) after starting Nature-Throid that I really had had quite a loss in motivation, trouble concentrating, depression and anxiety, OCD, etc…I thought it was menopause…it was just those pesky psychological/psychiatric hypo symptoms that had returned. The Nature-Throid helped all this immensely pretty fast…the first week or two. The physical symptoms got better too the first two weeks…but it's taken over a month to really start to feel optimized again…and back to where I once was on the old Armour."
"I did horrible on the new Armour -- tried to increase and did worse. I loved the old Armour. My doc switched me to Westhroid (my pharmacy had to special order) and alas -- hypo symptoms GONE!! I will note -- I was on Synthroid for 28 years with VAGUE hypo symptoms. On the new reformulated Armour -- I had SEVERE hypo symptoms -- very pronounced. I was on the old Armour for one year -- I feel the SAME -- if not better on the Westhroid. I noticed a difference on the second day."
How To Switch to Nature-Throid or WesthroidIt's fairly simple for your doctor to convert from Armour Thyroid to Nature-Throid or Westhroid. According to RLC's conversion chart, the following are equivalent doses:
- Armour 1/4 grain (15 mg.) is equivalent to Nature-Throid 1/4 grain (16.25 mg). Westhroid is not available in 1/4 grain size.
- Armour 1/2 grain (30 mg) is equivalent to Nature-Throid and Westhroid in the 1/2 grain (32.5 mg) size.
- Armour 1 grain (60 mg) is equivalent to Nature-Throid and Westhroid in the 1 grain (65 mg) size
- Armour 2 grain (120 mg) is equivalent to Nature-Throid and Westhroid in the 2 grain (130 mg) size
- Armour 3 grain (180 mg) is equivalent to Nature-Throid in the 3 grain (195 mg) size. Westhroid is not available in a 3 grain size.
- See if your pharmacy considers Nature-Throid/Westhroid equivalent to Armour. If so, you may be able to fill an Armour prescription with Nature-Throid/Westhroid. Your pharmacy may have the drugs in stock, or they can order it for you through their distributors.
- If your pharmacy can't get the drugs through their distributor, ask them if they will order them directly from RLC by calling toll-free 1-877-797-7997
- If your pharmacy doesn't consider Nature-Throid/Westhroid equivalent to Armour, ask your doctor's office to call or fax your pharmacy a new prescription for Nature-Throid/Westhroid.
- If your pharmacy can't get Nature-Throid or Westhroid and won't order it directly, then have your doctor call or fax your prescription for Nature-Throid or Westhroid to Knowles Apothecary, 10400 Connecticut Ave, Suite 100, Kensington, MD 20895, Phone: 301-942-7979 / Fax: 301-942-5544. This is a compounding pharmacy that specializes in thyroid medications, and provides mail order service to patients around the country.
For Doctors Who Prescribe ArmourIf you are a doctor who prescribes Armour, be aware that the shortages of Armour are likely to continue. You may want to consider direct-ordering Nature-Throid or Westhroid so that you have it in stock for your thyroid patients who take natural thyroid. (And patients, if you have a doctor who does a lot of work with Armour Thyroid, you might encourage him to also consider stocking Nature-Throid or Westhroid for their patients.) Here is contact information for RLC, manufacturer of Nature-Throid and Westhroid:
RLC Labs, Inc.
28248 N Tatum Blvd., Suite: B1-629
Cave Creek, Arizona - 85331
Toll Free: 877.797.7997 / Administrative Offices: 623-879-8537