Treatments for Thyroid Disease
By Mary Shomon, About.com Guide
- Hypothyroidism Treatment
- Hyperthyroidism / Graves' Disease Treatment
- Autoimmune Thyroid Disease Treatment
- Goiter/Thyroid Nodules Treatment
- Thyroid Cancer Treatment
- Alternative and Holistic Approaches to Thyroid Treatment
Hypothyroidism is treated by replacing the missing hormone, a hormone that is essential to the body’s key functions.
- Hypothyroidism Treatment, with Dr. Ted Friedman
- 15 Ways to Feel and Live Well With Hypothyroidism
- Is Your Hypothyroidism UNDERtreated?
- Consequences of Not Taking Thyroid Medications
Hyperthyroidism / Graves' Disease Treatment
Hyperthyroidism is treated by reducing the excess hormone levels, which is accomplished in various ways.
- Treatment of Graves' Disease and Hyperthyroidism: A Look at Key Options
- Radioactive Iodine Treatment (RAI)
- Antithyroid Drug Therapy (ATD)
Autoimmune Thyroid Disease Treatment
Autoimmune thyroid disease includes Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and Graves' disease. Autoimmunity is usually indicated by the presence of antibodies.
- Thyroid Antibodies
- Treatment Can Help Those Who Test Positive for Thyroid Antibodies
- Do You Need Preventative Thyroid Treatment? Treating Antibodies When TSH is Norm
Goiter/Thyroid Nodules Treatment
Doctors may decide to monitor -- rather than treat -- some small goiters or nodules. Some are treated with thyroid hormone replacement drugs to slow, stop, or shrink the growth. Physically or cosmetically problematic goiters are usually treated with radioactive iodine (RAI) or surgery.
- Thyroid Nodules/Lumps and Goiter (Enlargement)
- Thyroid Surgery
- Percutaneous Ethanol Injection (PEI) for Nodules
- High-Intensity Ultrasound Beam Technology
Thyroid Cancer Treatment
There are four different types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic. The treatments are based on the type of cancer, and in some cases, the staging -- how far the cancer has spread to other parts of the body -- as well as if it’s a new cancer or a recurrent cancer.
- Thyroid Cancer Treatment Approaches
- Surgery for Thyroid Cancer
- Anaplastic Cancer Treatment
- Benefits to Total Thyroidectomy and Radioiodine Remnant Ablation
Alternative and Holistic Approaches to Thyroid Treatment
There are a number of alternative, holistic and integrative ways to approach thyroid disease treatment.
- Thyroid Disease: A Natural/Herbal Perspective
- Can Your Hypothyroidism Be Treated Naturally?
- The Top Five Supplements for Thyroid Support
- Vitamins and Nutritional Supplements for Thyroid Disease
- South American Medicinal Herbs for Hormones