Many other healing factors might be much more relevant than medicine dose. In thirty years of thyroid practice, I have seen large numbers of patients greatly improve while staying at the same dose of thyroid pills. How did they ever do that? They were determined to try "extra" things like acupuncture, adrenal restoration, homeopathic remedies, reproductive hormone balancing, enhanced nutrition, mercury detoxification, intestinal parasite abatement, herbal medicines, or allergy desensitization.
What a list. What could any of these modalities possibly have to do with optimizing thyroid treatment? EVERYTHING. If you are an informed thyroid patient determined to improve the underlying autoimmune cause of your condition, you may well want to engage in some of the activities from this list. We urge patients and practitioners alike to move toward a vigorous exploration into such cutting edges of healing science. Then, combine that exploration with well-chosen standard prescription medicines. The result of these efforts becomes a journey that will reveal your own optimal thyroid treatment.
Summary of Specific Guidelines from Richard and Karilee Shames
- Optimal thyroid treatment occurs when patients arecarefullyconsidered from many perspectives, their wishes honored whenever possible.
- Optimal thyroid care allows for thepatients' major thyroid symptoms to be relieved to the patient's satisfaction.
- Optimal thyroid care puts the patient in the driver seat, with practitioner as copilot, providing knowledge, suggestions and hope.
- Optimal thyroid care allows for creativity on part of both practitioner and patient, each honored as co-creators.
- Health consumers have a responsibility to be involved and open, to care for their body appropriately, and to communicate effectively.
- Practitioners have a responsibility to listen carefully, to respect client's beliefs and wishes, and to keep client safe.
- Trust is the ideal foundation for optimal thyroid treatment.If you cannot share openly with your practitioner, you might want to find one that better suits your needs.
- Optimal thyroid care allows a perfect teaching opportunity. As the patient seeks answers and improvement, the practitioner provides suggestions and feedback.
Drs. Shames' website: www.feelingfff.com.
Note: Listen to a radio interview Mary Shomon conducted with Dr. Richard Shames, talking about "Hormonal Solutions for Depression, Anxiety, and Memory Loss," streaming online, or download and/or share a free MP3 of the interview.
Source: Email interview with Richard and Karilee Shames - December 2010