If you want to find the best possible doctor to diagnose and treat your thyroid disease, follow these steps.
Difficulty Level: Easy Time Required: 5 minutes
- If you must choose a doctor from a pre-approved health plan list, ask your plan administrator if there is a directory of plan doctors and their qualifications available.
- For referral to a conventional endocrinologist, contact the Thyroid Foundation of America at 1-800-832-8321.
- For a board-certified endocrinologist, look for the initials F.A.C.E. -- Fellow, American College of Endocrinology.
- For more holistic thyroid disease diagnosis and management, consider an osteopathic physician, known as a "D.O." Contact the American Osteopathic Association at 800-621-1773 for a referral.
- Search for a doctor at the About.com Thyroid Top Doc Directory. This directory features American and international doctors recommended by other thyroid patients, organized by state and country.
- Ask at the About.com interactive Top Thyroid Doctors Forum. You can request top thyroid doctor recommendations by state or country.
- Schedule a brief pre-appointment phone or in-person consultation to discuss the doctor's approach to diagnosis, management, and treatment of thyroid disease.
- The Thyroid Foundation of America will refer you to conventional endocrinologists, who will most frequently rely on the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) test for diagnosis, and Radioactive Iodine (RAI) and synthetic thyroid hormone replacement as primary treatments for thyroid disease.
- Osteopaths and holistic physicians frequently make a diagnosis using not only the TSH test, but other thyroid test results, antibody tests, and other signs and symptoms. They are more likely to work with alternative thyroid treatments and drugs.
- Thyroid Top Doctors Directory
- Thyroid Top Doctors Forum
- Finding a Top Thyroid Doctor
- American Osteopathic Association's Doctor Referral
- Living Well With Thyroid Disease