If you want to find the best possible doctor to diagnose and treat your thyroid disease, follow these steps.
Time Required: 5
- If you must choose from a pre-approved health plan list, ask the plan administrator if there's a directory of doctors and their qualifications.
- For referral to a conventional endocrinologist, contact the Thyroid Foundation of America at 1-800-832-8321.
- For a board-certified endocrinologist, look for the initials F.A.C.E. -- Fellow, American College of Endocrinology.
- For more holistic thyroid disease diagnosis and management, consider an osteopathic physician, known as a 'D.O.' Contact the American Osteopathic Association at 800-621-1773 for a referral.
- Search for a doctor at the About Thyroid Top Doc Directory. This directory features American and international doctors recommended by other thyroid patients, organized by state and country.
- Ask at the About interactive Top Thyroid Doctors Forum. You can request top thyroid doctor recommendations by state or country.
- Schedule a brief pre-appointment phone or in-person consultation to discuss the doctor's approach to diagnosis, management, and treatment of thyroid disease.
- The Thyroid Foundation of America will refer you to conventional endocrinologists, who will typically rely on the more ore conventional diagnostic procedures and treatments for thyroid disease.
- Osteopaths and holistic physicians frequently make a diagnosis using diagnostic tests, plus other tests, signs and symptoms. They are more likely to work with alternative treatments and drugs.