From Mary Shomon
ARE YOU A THYROID PATIENT WHO CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT?
Start by reading my article, Help! I'm a Thyroid Patient Who Can't Lose Weight: 8 Steps for Successful Weight Loss. It will give you key information to help you in your effort to map out the best thyroid care, eating, supplements, exercise, and lifestyle for weight loss success.
MY "THYROID DIET" BOOK
My New York Times bestselling book, The Thyroid Diet was recently updated and expanded, and the new edition, The Thyroid Diet Revolution, outlines practical ways to cope with thyroid problems, balance hormones, enhance and raise metabolism, how and what to eat, supplements that can help, exercise dos and don'ts, and other information to help you ensure that thyroid problems don't get in the way of successful weight loss.
THE HORMONAL IMPACT ON WEIGHT LOSS
An excellent article to read about thyroid disease and weight loss, it should be this one -- Long Term Weight Loss for Thyroid Patients: Hormonal Factors That Affect Diets An Interview with Kent Holtorf, MD. Dr. Holtorf has found discovered that while there are many factors involved in the inability to lose weight, almost all the overweight and obese patients he treats have demonstrable metabolic and endocrinological dysfunctions that contribute to weight challenges. In particular, Dr. Holtorf addresses the evaluation and correction of imbalances in two key hormones -- leptin and reverse T3 (rT3)-- to help thyroid patients lose weight. It's must reading for any thyroid patient who is struggling with weight issues.
PATIENT EXPERIENCE AND SUPPORT
- Seven Thyroid Diet Secrets - what 7 things can you do to help successfully lose weight as a thyroid patient? Here's a quick review.
- Patients Share Their Thyroid Diet Success Stories - hear what other thyroid patients have to say about what worked for them in terms of diet and weight loss.
- HCG Diet for Thyroid Patients: Patients Share Their Experiences - does the HCG diet work for thyroid patients? Find out from patients who've tried it.
- WeightWatchers Diet for Thyroid Patients: Patients Share Their Experiences - is WeightWatchers a good match for thyroid patients? Find out now.
- The Atkins Diet for Thyroid Patients: Patients Share Their Experiences - is the Atkins diet the right diet for thyroid patients? See what patients have to say.
- Thyroid Diet Support on Facebook - If you want to connect with other thyroid patients working on weight loss, visit the Thyroid Diet support page on Facebook.
KEY ARTICLES AND INFORMATION ON WEIGHT LOSS WITH THYROID DISEASE
JOIN THE 4 WEEKS TO WEIGHT LOSS FOR THYROID PATIENTS FREE ECOURSE
Is your thyroid making you fat? Why is it so hard for people with an underactive thyroid to lose weight? When you're hypothyroid, the slowed metabolism and changes to your endocrine system can make losing weight seem like a losing proposition. But have hope! Sign up for my ecourse, 4 Weeks to Weight Loss for Thyroid Patients, for just the jumpstart you need to understand what it takes for thyroid patients to successfully lose weight and feel great. Get started on your thyroid diet.
- Quiz: Is Your Thyroid Making You Fat?
- What You Need to Know About Hoodia: Desert Plant is Promising Appetite Suppressant and Weight Loss Supplement
- The Unique Role of Fiber in Weight Loss With Hypothyroidism: Is Fiber the Key to A Successful Diet?
- Do You Need to Increase Your Metabolism? How to Lose Weight by Boosting a Slow Metabolism
- The Cortisol-Weight Loss Controversy: Will CortiSlim Help You Lose Weight?
- Cinnamon: Help for Insulin Resistance and Weight Loss
- Mary Shomon Interviewed
- eDiets: Can It Help Thyroid Patients?
- Weight Loss Supplement Ideas for Thyroid Patients
- Grapefruit and Weight Loss
- Can Chocolate Help Carbo-Lovers Lose Weight?
- Weight Gain Follows Hyperthyroidism Treatment
- Exercise Regimen Can Improve Men's Thyroid Function
- Anti-Obesity Drug to Target Thyroid Hormone Receptors
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid for Weight Loss -- Scientific Info Updated
- Chia for Fatigue and Weight Loss
- The Ultimate Thyroid Patient Exercise Program -- Exercise to Help Hypothyroid Patients Get Fit and Lose Weight
- The Couch Potato Diet
- Green Tea Extract Increases Metabolism, May Aid in Weight Loss
- Updated Information on CLA -- From the manufacturer of the Tonalin formula of CLA
- Should You Get More Calcium to Lose Weight?
- How to Keep Exercising and Keep it Exciting! 17 Tips from Thyroid Patients
- Satietrol: Another Tool in the Thyroid Diet and Weight Loss Battle?
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) Supplements for Weight Loss -- Frequently Asked Questions
- Thyroid Diet Secrets: Are You Eating Enough Calories to Lose Weight?
- CLA Offers Hope for Weight Loss
- Losing Weight With Hypothyroidism
- Hypothyroidism and the Zone Way of Eating
WEIGHT LOSS BOOKS & GUIDES FOR THYROID PATIENTS
- The Thyroid Diet: Managing Your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss -- Note: This book has been written by About.com Thyroid Expert, Mary Shomon, and the link takes you off-site. New York Times bestseller, featuring dietary advice and guidelines specifically for thyroid patients.
- Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health by Richard Shames, MD and Karilee Shames
Diet Cure, by Julia Ross
Solved: The Riddle of Illness, by Stephen Langer, M.D. and James Scheer
The Zone, by Barry Sears, M.D.
Protein Power, by Michael R. Eades, Mary Dan Eades
Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, by Robert C. Atkins
OTHER WEIGHT LOSS ARTICLES
Losing Weight by Finding Time -- How can you make changes in your diet when you have such a busy schedule and so many things to do? Find out why one hour a day is all it takes!
Going Backward Towards Success With Healthier Living -- What do you do when you're making an effort to watch your diet or exercise, and you hit a wall. When you find yourself unable to move forward, go backward!
Paying Attention for Healthier Living -- Are you finding yourself on automatic pilot, and not paying attention to routines and habits that affect your health? Discover these three ways to help make healthier choices.
From Gym to Swim: How to Turn Indoor Exercises into a Water Workout -- So it's too hot to walk or run outside in the summer, you say? Do you want to enjoy your outdoor summer exercise without that sweaty, sticky feeling? Hop into the pool!
7 Days Of Transformation -- Can you transform yourself in just a week? Here's a 7-day program that can help you make lasting changes in your life.
- How to Break Out of a Weight Loss Plateau -- When you're on a diet, but you hit a point where for a few weeks you're simply not losing weight, you're at a plateau. Here are six ways to break through and keep losing!
Thyroid Diet and Weight Loss Support Forum
Ongoing support and discussion to help you lose weight with thyroid disease.
Thyroid Diet Forum
DRUGS AND SUPPLEMENTS
WEIGHT LOSS SUPPORT GROUPS
DIETING CENTERS/SUPPORT SERVICES
Mary Shomon, About.com's Thyroid Expert since 1997, is a nationally-known patient advocate and best-selling author of 12 books on health, including "The Thyroid Diet: Manage Your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss," "Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know," "Living Well With Graves' Disease and Hyperthyroidism," "Living Well With Autoimmune Disease," "Living Well With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia," The Thyroid Hormone Breakthrough, "The Menopause Thyroid Solution," and "Beautiful Inside and Out." Click here for more information on Mary Shomon.