1. Health

Mary Shomon

Many Over-the-Counter Thyroid Support Supplements Contain Thyroid Hormone

By July 1, 2013

A new study in the journal Thyroid (published online in June 2013, ahead of print), evaluated actual T4 and T3 hormone levels in ten over-the-counter, non-prescription "thyroid support" supplements. Half the products claimed to be herbal supplements (which would not typically contain any actual thyroid hormone), and the other half were labeled as having bovine (cow) "raw thyroid."

In the assessment, nine out of ten had detectable amounts of T3 hormone, and five of the ten contained T4. Half the supplements studied, if taken at the recommended dose, delivered T3 quantities greater than 10 mcg a day, and four delivered T4 dosages ranging from 8.57 to 91.6 mcg/day.

The researchers concluded that these supplements can potentially alter patients' thyroid levels significantly, and even cause "iatrogenic thyrotoxicosis" (hyperthyroidism induced by overexposure to ingested thyroid hormone).

A few key points relevant to thyroid patients:

• Nine out of ten products had detectable T3, ranging between 1.3 mg to 25.4 mcg per tablet.
  • Five of the supplements, if taken at the manufacturer's recommended dose, delivered T3 from 5.5 to 25.4 mcg/day
  • Five products had detectable levels of T4 ranging from <0.5 to 22.9 mcg per tablet.
  • Taken at the recommended dose, one of the products delivered more than 25 mcg (.25 mg) of T4 per day.
  • Five of the products contained detectable T3 and T4.
  • One of the products labeled as "bovine" raw thyroid had no detectable T3 or T4.
  • All of the products contained varying levels of iodine.
  • All five of the "herbal" supplements contained detectable amounts of T3, and two of them had detectable levels of T4, indicating that raw thyroid has been added to them, but not reflected in the ingredients list.

About Mary Shomon | Follow Mary on Twitter | Facebook: Thyroid Support

Photo: istockphoto

Source:
Grace Y. Kang, et. al. "Thyroxine and Triiodothyronine Content in Commercially Available Thyroid Health Supplements." Thyroid. June 2013, ahead of print. Abstract.

Comments
July 2, 2013 at 6:11 am
(1) trevg says:

These thyroid hormones are very powerful, especially in the over 60 age group ,where they may be readily needed.
Whilst it IS sad that many can’t get a decent diagnosis [esp. in the UK, due to unduly high TSH thresholds [ TSH = 3 is the max in most developed countries] it is courting trouble to let these levels of medication to be self administered.
I would rather see more attention given to the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disease- esp. the hypo type, otherwise known as UAT.
[UnderActiveThyroid].

July 2, 2013 at 9:08 am
(2) Rich Golden says:

i would never trust any over the counter solution to any thyroid condition. my only comment is that being hypothyroid for over 40 some od years i find that a doctor’s rx is the only one i trust. Then, even though there’s alwas an evaluation once in a whue where the amount of synthroid i take i variable. That aligns with my tsh test.
Finally , and this has been rue for a while. i seem tobe sometimes kind of tired, and i have a tendency to want to ask he doctor to decrease my dose of synthrod sice my tsh score is what i think is too low. i have learned over the years that the lower my tsh test is the les synthroid I need. that appears to be a paradox but i am used to it now and believe it accurately describes my need for ether more or ess synthroid ,depending upon my tsh follow-up.

July 2, 2013 at 10:06 am
(3) Janice says:

I would like to know which ones were evaluated. I’ve used nutrimeds without any issue during periods when natural dessicated thyroid was impossible to get.

If we could keep the drug czars out of our business, we’d be able to get our thyroid without issues!

July 2, 2013 at 10:11 am
(4) sky says:

it would be helpful to know which pills did what–as in the UK it is very difficult to get prescribed T3 without going through many many hoops –so an over the counter, temporary hit of t3 would perhaps be helpful for some of us.. could this be done? hope so thanks

July 2, 2013 at 10:16 am
(5) Pauline Seymour says:

The UK needs to change its attitude towards TSH only tests. I now do take supplements as instructed by Peatfield Clinic. I have no TSH level due to Pituitary damage caused by childbirth (sheehans syndrome) & am constantly being told to drop my levothyroxine dose (100mcg) by my GP. I asked for a T3 test & was refused, but Peatfield Clinic says i’m not converting to T3 after 24 years on just Levothyroxine. I feel MUCH better on supplements.

July 2, 2013 at 10:21 am
(6) cruzgirl says:

Since I can’t find a doctor to help with my low thyroid here in Canada, what supplements were the real deal. I need to know so I can get myself feeling better. Thanks

July 2, 2013 at 11:05 am
(7) Julie White says:

These supplements are very valuable but we do need to know the accurate content of them.

Here in the UK, I and many others are forced to self medicate as NDT and T3 are rarely prescribed and these supplements have been a lifeline.

I suspect they don’t publish the content accurately because they would be removed from the market if they couldn’t be classified as food supplements. I really hope this research doesn’t have the negative effect of getting these products removed from sale.

July 2, 2013 at 11:21 am
(8) sheila says:

very frustrating to read such an important article without the names of the supplements and what was found in each one! What is the point of printing it in the first place?

July 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm
(9) Linda Skipper says:

Mary, you need to be specific on what supplements are these active ingredients. Those of us you can’t get a doctor to treat us with T3 need to find out what we could use over-the-counter for a better quality of life.
I do self-dose because of these endocrinologists who believe in a T4 only approach. What choice do we have? It is a matter of quality of life.

July 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm
(10) Hope says:

Why not name the supplements?? I agree with Sheila and Linda… you need to call out the brand names so we can make our own informed decision. Sorry, but this article is useless without specifics.

July 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm
(11) Mel Meister says:

The article is worthless without the naming the products tested. How do we know what to buy or not to buy?

July 2, 2013 at 2:03 pm
(12) trevg says:

Naming the supplements would not help keep them going for those that need them.
They would immediately come under closer scuitiny- if that is the purpose of some research.
Bigg Pharma are always on the march for profits- preferably easy!
It is a risk -and that’s why I said more pure research and attention for the whole topic would be good…

July 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm
(13) stienster says:

Absolutely agree that this article is useless and I would go further and state it’s one more frustration to add to an already frustrating issue. The “doctors” are indeed drug czars of the worst kind: playing God with people who go looking for help and get tormented instead.

I just read an article on Mercola’s site that nitrogen is causing damage to the thyroid. Nitrogen is in fertilizers and so much has/is being used that it’s in the water and air (by various means).

Also, please look into tyrosine and organic coconut oil.

July 2, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(14) trevg says:

Interesting about coconut oil- I’ll check it out.
You’re right about L.Tyrosine- it converts into T3.[Hopefully!]
I took it a few years back whulst trying to see what would help and it lit me up after 4 days lowish dose [with herbs].
It can have a strong effect -but I regarded the warnings not to operate ‘blind’ in hormonal issues- and stopped it.
It did confirm that I was on the right track, though! Now trying Levo via GP.

July 3, 2013 at 12:31 am
(15) old_broad says:

you recently had an interview with a California doctor who talked about leptin levels. the doctor that I took this information to said leptin levels cannot be tested and refused to do anything for me except recommend a diet pill. I looked up leptin on the internet and found several sights that sell leptin-thyroid blends.

This is the sight that I found, but don’t know if it is valid.

If this product would be helpful, what would the dosage be?

Thyroid HelperŪ

Specialty formula to enhance conversion of basic thyroid hormone T4 to active T3. Essential nutrition for anyone with thyroid issues. Helps energy, mood, motivation, and weight management.*

July 3, 2013 at 4:39 am
(16) josie says:

I live in New Zealand. After months of searching for an integrated physician to prescribe T3 for me I found one, all I can say it is changed everything for me. I was waking up before the alarm and jumping out of bed to go running!!!!! The powers that be have now decided that Cytomel can be dangerous and it is now unavailable and I am taking at great expense a new apparently plant based combo of T4 and T3. I do not feel as well as I did but still a lot better than before. I cannot recommend T3 highly enough. Anyone who is still suffering when taking T4 only definitely needs to try it. Incidentally, I did try 6 months of natural dessicated and it just did not do it for me.

July 3, 2013 at 10:52 am
(17) robin says:

Wow just read all these posts..My wonderful.doctor here in the USA moved to New Zealand.Dr.Paul Brillhart.if you can look him up he is fantastic.He did wonders for me with my thyroid.I am sad because the new doctor is not so good..I am taking iodine and D3 now in addition to my armour thyroid..It helps a little.

July 3, 2013 at 8:39 pm
(18) sky says:

very peculiar–this same article ( but with a few changed words ) was published on this same website in feb 21, 2012 both claim to be a new study, at the time, and both credit as source; Source: Kang, G.Y. “Thyroxine and Triiodothyronine Content in Commercially Available Thyroid Health Supplements,” Abstracts of the American Thyroid Association Annual Meeting, 2011 BUT the 2013 article has as source, but notice the date: Source:
Grace Y. Kang, et. al. “Thyroxine and Triiodothyronine Content in Commercially Available Thyroid Health Supplements.” Thyroid. June 2013, ahead of print. — so here is the link to the earlier page –so why is this being presented twice— as if it’s a new study–can someone explain please as i’m feeling a wee bit paranoid to say the least; here is the link for your comparison; http://thyroid.about.com/b/2012/02/21/popular-over-the-counter-thyroid-supplements-contain-actual-thyroid-hormone.htm
p.s. this current page isn’t being presented as a repeat, of a previous article from feb.2012–why isn’t it & on this next link is to the pdf and abstract-of the findings, can anyone or mary please explain this dilemma.. ta

July 3, 2013 at 8:45 pm
(19) sky says:

sorry forgot to put the link to pdf & abstract -notice how the wording is almost the same but not quite– here it is .. http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/thy.2013.0101

July 6, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(20) youniquelikeme says:

In defense of Mary:

Mary is simply reiterating (and refers to her earlier post of last year in the beginning) that it can be dangerous to supplement without your Doctor’s approval, especially with supplements that are not under any inspection and regulated.

Supplements are under no obligation to ensure the quality control that drugs must undertake, so you are taking a huge risk, and even possible heart attack.

I have Hashimotos and an over sensitivity to medication so even the slightest change can have huge repercussions for me… and it is on a cellular level… and believe me people, you do not wish for your bodies to be in the constant state of flux that occurs when you play around with medication.

Mary Shoman has been an advocate for Thyroid patients for many years. I first met her on alt.support Thyroid a couple of decades ago… where she was always helping people. This article was meant to be informative and helpful. You should be grateful there are people like her willing to buck the system and get you what you need to know to be well. (and it isn’t to try every snake oil in your path, it is to keep trying until you find a Doc who will work with you. (it took me over a dozen years but it was worth the effort)

Thanks Mary, for helping me to be my own advocate for health. You helped give me the courage to ask the right questions and be persistent.

PS I am Canadian and have found a Doc who has agreed to let me use T3 (Cytomel) even though they are advised it does nothing to help. Plus she has allowed me to try different endos and now, a newer one because the others do not allow Cytomel to be used. I recommend younger Docs as they are more willing to work with you and read/stay up to date, rather than follow what their association has recommended.

July 7, 2013 at 12:15 am
(21) Pete says:

Regarding the article being useless without naming the actual products – How about someone calls up any of the 7 authors and asks them?

Of course any given supplement might chnage month to month, how do we know that? Call up and ask the company?

July 9, 2013 at 7:29 am
(22) Catherine Tully says:

Has anyone looked into the fact that our medications and supplements are from China. I checked with Solgar. everyone of my supplements had materials from China even if they were manufactured here. I phoned all of the vitamin companies and they were a bit cautious about telling me their product was from China. Of course our foods we know that.
Does anyone know of vitamins manufeactured in the USA with product from USA.
I take Lisinopril that too is from China.
Help

July 9, 2013 at 8:00 am
(23) Blo1 says:

Would love to know the various supplement names! If you aren’t able to print them, then maybe you could email the list upon request?

July 9, 2013 at 8:13 am
(24) Zola says:

I’ve been on Synthroid for over 10 yrs…age 53 now. The last year I’ve continually gotten more fatigued and more weight gain. Finally had more advanced blood work which I had to pay out of pocket but worth it. Found out T4 levels were fine, but not T3. New dr added Cytemal 5mg to Synthroid 100mcg and after 2nd day I have energy again…feel amazing…can work…don’t go to bed at 7pm…no time for naps now! Starting hiking and gym workouts again. My endocrinologist wouldn’t listen…will be interesting on 8/2 on my next visit with her… It feels great to be me again!

July 9, 2013 at 8:35 am
(25) Courtenay says:

74-year old male misdiagnosed until 1972. Prescribed Armour thyroid. Lost 10 pounds, went from 9-10 hrs/night to 7-8. New doc switched me to Synthroid in 2000-09. Switched to another doc since he wouldn’t give me a stress ekg w/ultrasound. Went to doc w/PhD in natural medicine. Supervised by MD. Took me a year before I followed her instructions for the stress test. In 2010 found I had had heart attack, but no clue when. Read Matthew Starr’s, MD book on hypothyroidism. Mind boggling to say the least. Ultra sound showed gland 1/3 of normal size. Taking NP Thyroid, levothyroxine, potassium iodide, tyrosine (L-Tyrosine Ethyl Ester). Keep a spread sheet on all supplements, scrips etc. which she has. She is all about being scientific and I have Medicare-approved tests done quarterly, so she can make adjustments if necessary.

July 9, 2013 at 8:47 am
(26) jan smith says:

need to name the supplements otherwise it is a useless article

July 9, 2013 at 9:08 am
(27) Deb G says:

I don’t take over the counter thyroid supplements. Need to be very careful. I had a total thyroidectomy in 2006 -hyperthyroid and suspcious nodules —turned out to be non-cancerous. I very quickly became 35 pounds overweight and extremely post-surgery. I was on 75mcg levothyroxine and I asked the endo after 2 years of struggling to do something. She added 5mg cytomel to the levothyroxine and I felt better quickly, but after 2 months I experienced heart attack symptoms one morning right after taking my cytomel.

I was very lucky to say the least —my husband was with me and got me to the hospital in time. In the end, it was determined that I was extremely vitamin deficient. I am now on B12 and D supplements, and my levothyroxine was increased to 100 mcg. I finally feel normal, and even though the weight is very slow coming off, it is coming off. I lost 10 pounds in the last 9 months without dieting, and hope to lose the rest over the next year since I’m now on a weight loss plan.

Please be careful, adding T3 is very tricky and can cause cardiac issues!

July 9, 2013 at 9:14 am
(28) suesue says:

Which supplements?I am not sure of what you are writing about.

July 9, 2013 at 10:25 am
(29) Mary ago on says:

The researchers did NOT name the supplements. I am not deliberately withholding the names– they were not named in the research., and I don’t have a list. that said, if you Google “thyroid supplements” I’m sure some of the most popular ones are also some of those studied, but we don’t know which brand had which specific results.

July 9, 2013 at 10:27 am
(30) Julie says:

I agree with Sheila! What is the point of printing this article and then don’t even give the names of the supplements and what their levels were??? I totally felt the same way! Very disappointing!

July 9, 2013 at 10:29 am
(31) Sara A Brooks says:

Liothyronine (T3) – 5 mcg tablets. I added this to my regular Synthroid 0.05 mg Tablets. A subtle, slow difference until after one month of the added T3 (Rx by endocrinologist) I had energy, ACTUAL ENERGY. I found that I lost 7 lbs. without trying. Then I went low carb, no wheat in any form, and immediately lost another 7 lbs. I am now swimming 1/2 hr 4-5 x a wk. I am up to 2 miles walking. Before T3 I could walk 1/2 mile and then drop from exhaustion, go home, take another nap. I kept going to doctors and they said, “Well, your TSH l is fine, you are in the normal range.” I finally asked an endocrinologist to check me and she said I was in the normal range – checking T3, T4, ad nauseum. But, she did say that I was a little low, but in the Normal range. I marched into her one day after reading about T3 supplement, told her I wanted it, and she acquiesced to my strident demands. Best thing I’ve ever done! I had to whine to my initial doctor, also, about Levothyroxine. That didn’t do anything for me either in the beginning and we switched to Synthroid which did help, but I knew I wasn’t where I was supposed to be. I’m on the right dosage now – I feel like a new person. It’s due to me! I read, asked, and demanded change. I hope everyone does – why are we doomed to walk around feeling like crap. We really have to SPEAK UP. I had one doctor yell at me, literally, waving my test results in my face – telling me I was fine! Sara

July 9, 2013 at 10:36 am
(32) Jennifer says:

I do not mess around with my thyroid medication. Our endocrine system is serious business. I do not take anything that my doctor does not recommend.

I started out 20 years ago with a Endocrinologist and was advised that I could be treated with a primary physician. After years of using the primary physician and still being tired, I went to a good DO who ran a blood test for my T3 levels. He increased medications to (150mcg Levothyroxine and added 5mcg Liothyronine tablets 3 x’s daily. I also have a B12 shot 2 x’s weekly and take vitamin C. Recently discovered that my potassium levels were off causing some fatigue. Every time I have fatigue I think it is due to the thyroid…not always true. Even more reasons to leave your medical care in the hands of a doctor,

July 9, 2013 at 10:37 am
(33) Mary Shomon says:

The study does NOT name the supplements. I do not have that information to report. Sorry.

July 9, 2013 at 10:44 am
(34) Denise says:

I have taken Nurtrimeds porcine thyroid supplement in the past. I was careful to pay attention to my bodies reaction and kept the dosage on the low side. I seem to need it during the winter but not in the summer. My energy improved, dry skin improved, clarity of thought was much better.

July 9, 2013 at 11:41 am
(35) D. Magee says:

My doctor told me I didn’t have a thyroid problem. My hair is thin, it’s very hard to lose weight, I was having a hard time staying warm, my outer eyelashes would thin out a lot. Definite signs of a thyroid issue. I started taking an over-the-counter homeopathic supplement. My eyelashes & eyebrows thickened, I didn’t feel cold anymore, & my thyroid visibly got smaller. Also I was very sensitive to light, which normalized. The thing I found out was that I couldn’t take the recommended dose, which was 3 tablets a day. I found 1/2 a tablet to be the right amount for me. I’m grateful for these supplements!!!

July 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm
(36) Shelly says:

The fact you had a dirty dentist is not relevant to those of us who are still struggling with the feeling of being hypo thyroidism many who have had total thyroidectomy which means the thyroid has been totally removed in case you have a problem with small words not found in your Internet reading. No thyroid no hormone, that simple. All the organic vegetables in the world cannot replace the missing hormone or to cause the weight loss that comes with hypo thyroidism and its accompanying loss in muscle strength and fatigue. It can however provide a basis for recovery of strength and efficient systems functioning but ONLY WHEN THE PROPER BALANCE OF THYROID Tx HAS BEEN ACHIEVED AND MAINTAINED. I had my total thyroid removed 1994 and struggling with the effects ever since.

July 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm
(37) Miranda says:

Dear Shelly, I am sorry to hear about your thyroid problem and believe I understand you very clear and all the people that are writing here in this nice block!
I went through more than all of you in these last 4 years , all doctors are shocked how can be I am still alive and without their medications!…..All my blood parameters were in the terrible shape! But I did not gave up! Before four years I never had problems with my muscles strength and fatigue but previous year and now yes, and of course I am working on health very much!
Now I am tired being in computer but soon I will be back and give all the right answeers and the solution of what Iodine our body is missing!
thanks again for all of your patience with my bad english writing, sincerely Miranda

July 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm
(38) Linda says:

I have been taking synthetic thyroid medications for the past 10 years. No weight decrease, until I truly started working out. Until I tried something else, my hair was still falling out, and I was still tired. The necessary dosage of medicine did nothing for me. It’s very frustrating knowing that you don’t feel “normal”, and no one listens. I tried DE (dem earth), it has helped with my hair, nails, energy, and intestinal issues. I am not sure about OVER THE COUNTER drugs, but I only trust natural products.

July 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(39) Sandy Buchanan says:

I take Amour thyroid, I have to pay for it myself because the drug prescription pharmacies on Medicare will not pay for natural thyroid. I’m in between doses, so I break a 60 mg and a 90 mg in half and take a half of each every day and also a selenium tablet to deal with the reverse t-3. I put myself on the selenium because no doctor around here is concerned with reverse t-3.

July 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm
(40) Barbara says:

Miranda – you’re somewhat correct but astonishingly unaware. Try searching for mthfr and you will see that roughly thirty percent of the population have a genetic polymorphism in their methylation pathway. In essence, this means that, no matter how healthily they eat, they are deficient in an enzyme (mthfr) which means their cells do not methylate properly which leads to all manner of illnesses – including hypothyroidism! Check it out and see. The remedy is quite simple however – specific vitamins and co-factors in even more specific forms that provide the nutrients for the methylation cycle to function optimally. I would type the website here for you to learn about the science behind it but I’m unsure whether I am allowed. If you’re a chemistry major you’ll be fine – if not look on Youtube!

July 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm
(41) Martha F. Borchert says:

I take Tri-Iodine it is 5mg.as molecular iodine,5mg as sodium iodine,and 2.5mg as potassium iodine .It is put out by Terry Naturally.I have had no bad affects from it . I also take Armour.

July 11, 2013 at 12:24 am
(42) Loraine says:

I take Thyrostim, a natural product used by Naturopaths. I have been taking 4 or 5 per day. My thyroid was swollen and I have nodules and low numbers and no energy. I feel much better on the pills and lost 3 lbs last month. I have eliminated all thyroid-blocking foods also. I hope this information is helpful to others

July 11, 2013 at 8:42 pm
(43) Sandy says:

A nurse practitioner who specialized in bio-identical hormones and adrenal fatigue told me she thought anyone taking thyroid medication should also take iodine. So, with her recommendation I began taking iodine and L tyrosine. Two years later my TSH was skyrocketing and I was so fatigued I could hardly function. I slept practically all day long. My GP and I were confused as to what was going on. In January I read one of Mary’s articles about taking supplemental iodine if you are hypothyroid. She recommended against it as the thyroid was very sensitive to iodine one way or the other. Oh, last summer I doubled the iodine supplement because I thought if my TSH was so high, I needed to kick-start my thyroid and what better way to do it than with more iodine. Ha! I stopped taking supplemental iodine in January and my TSH is back to normal after my dr. prescribed additional Armour thyroid. I’m now up to 3.5 gr. I also found out I have Hashimoto’s and went gluten free based on recommendation from naturopath. Feeling much better. Don’t take iodine supplements if you have Hashimoto’s.

July 12, 2013 at 6:05 am
(44) alfie says:

help please my doctor will not treat T3 and has told me NO doctor she knows will. After 6 long years of thyroxine treatment only and limping from one blood test to another and never feeling any better I am at my wits end has any one any suggestions as to what or where I can get T3 meds be it over the counter or what ever.Thanks

July 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm
(45) Barb says:

I am similar to Jennifer’s post above. I don’t want to mess with my thyroid though am fatigued. I have been on Synthroid for almost 6 years now. My body had to adjust to it and at times, still have issues with too much or too little T3/T4 combinations depending on the weather/season as well as what I eat (soy and other veggies change thyroid levels). I went to an endocrinologist and then my regular DO took over. I had her perform a T3 test and it was off a bit but she said she did not want to alter anything. I don’t think I’d mess with natural products Mary describes unless my doctor knew exactly what was in them. The thyroid controls how well you feel from day to day and I would not want to take a chance/lose how I feel now compared to then – though would still like to have more energy and less achiness/fatigue.

July 13, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(46) Rosemary says:

A good endo is hard to find. They are so brainwashed that Synthroid is a cureall, and they seem scared of T3 (cytomel.) I’ve had to fire 2 endos. For 2 months I read every book in the library on thyroid disorders plus every blog I could find on the internet I would sit in a 75 degree room wrapped in a blanket, a heating pad under my feet. My hair was thinning, my eyebrows were half gone my fingernails were torn, I had brain fog, slept 10 hours every night, and was still tired during the day, My legs itched until they bled and I had thyroid rash. Now I take 50 mcg Synthroid and 12 1/2 mcg Cytomel daily, and life is good. Like many other Hashimoto patients, my temperature runs low = usually 97 degrees (Wilson’s Syndrome) – I am shocked by the number of MD’s who don’t know this needs to be treated with T3.

December 17, 2013 at 11:28 am
(47) maggie says:

This article is virtually useless without naming the supplements!

January 7, 2014 at 4:15 am
(48) Debbie says:

So what are those of us who can NEVER go to a doctor, EVER, regarding our hypothyroidism (runs in family in my case) supposed to do? I have a psychosis-level phobia of MDs (needles, surgery – I can NEVER have any blood test done, EVER) – I have NO choice for treatment of my serious low thyroid except to try supplements, but the advice on what to try is so conflicting, its hard to know what is worth the money and where to start. But the weight I can’t lose, the constant fatigue, all the other symptoms, get worse every year and its scary. What can I try that has a good chance of working that absolutely does NOT involve a doctor? Help!

January 28, 2014 at 10:25 pm
(49) E says:

Debbie, you might want to give this a try: My friend’s thyroid was affected by a test her doctor did a few years back. She believes more in natural medicine than pharma drugs. so she initially took the thyroid meds, but weaned herself off those and she now swears she has pretty much healed her thyroid by taking:
1) moderate amounts of tyrosine (recommended dose on the bottle),
2) extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil (1-3 T. per day),
3) selenium, by eating a few brazil nuts per day only,
4) Ashwaganda herb (she took recommended amount on bottle),
5) seaweed kelp (for the natural iodine, and she sprinkles small amounts on her food).
6) And recently she started taking vit. A supplement and she said she feels that her thyroid is back to normal.

She was able to stop taking the thyroid meds long ago (that her doctor gave her initially), and continued on with the natural methods. She now feels back to her old self. Try those things above and see how you feel, but use everything in moderation. More is not always better, and each individual’s body is different, so give it a try and see if you feel better. don’t overdo it on vit. A also, because too much can be toxic. I would only use 5,000 milligrams per day and eat things that are vit. A rich (like pumpkin, squash, fish, etc. etc….you can google to see what is vit. A rich).
Continued on next post…….

January 28, 2014 at 10:27 pm
(50) E says:

continued from last post to Debbie…….
Also, not more tyrosine than the bottle says, and selenium only in foods, because you only need a small amount (like 3 brazil nuts). Iodine is always better taken as seaweed (kelp) too. Hope this helps. I Also followed what my friend did, and I feel MUCH better too. Be most careful with the tyrosine, least amount is best and ony take in the morning or it will keep you up at night. Maybe even take it every other day or 2 times per week, (not every day) depending on how it makes you feel. Just pay attention to what your body is telling you, it will tell you if it’s right for you or not.
Hope this helps and I can empathize with you on not going to the doctor. I don’t have a phobia, but I try to avoid them like the plague, because they don’t seem to have any knowledge about natural healing, and look at you like your nuts if you even suggest it. It’s very disappointing and disheartening, so I only go when it’s absolutely necessary. They are good for diagnosing and emergencies, but little else when it comes to chronic ailments.

March 27, 2014 at 7:34 am
(51) karen says:

Re: Iodine and Hashimoto’s
The multivitamin I take has Iodine (Potassium Iodide) 150 mcg. Is this amount too high? Can this “potentially alter my thyroid level”?