1. Health

Mary Shomon

NIH Clinical Trial to Compare Natural Desiccated Thyroid vs. Levothyroxine for Hypothyroidism Treatment

By December 19, 2012

It's an exciting day for thyroid patients, and one we've been waiting for a long time!

The U.S. National Institutes of Health has announced that a clinical trial has just been started at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, in Bethesda, MD, to compare natural desiccated thyroid drugs versus levothyroxine, for the treatment of primary hypothyroidism. In particular, symptom relief, cognitive function, well-being, and quality of life will be the focus of the clinical trial. If you are between 18 and 65, and have been treated with levothyroxine for at least the last six months for hypothyroidism, you may be eligible for this trial. (NOTE: Only active or retired members of the military and their beneficiaries are eligible for this trial.)

Those who qualify and participate in this trial will not only be contributing to crucial research for the hypothyroid community, but may also discover that natural desiccated thyroid is superior to their current levothyroxine treatment.

Learn about the natural desiccated thyroid vs. levothyroxine clinical trial now, as well as information on how to participate if you're eligible.

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: istockphoto

Comments
December 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm
(1) Paula says:

Yay! About time!

December 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm
(2) Patrick Clyde says:

This trial is only for Department of Defense beneficiaries living in the Washington, DC area.

December 25, 2012 at 8:33 am
(3) Anna says:

I am not eligible for the trial but I have been taking desiccated thyroid for about a year and a half. Within a few months my eyebrows grew back. Certainly it works better than man-made replacements.

December 25, 2012 at 9:15 am
(4) Judy W says:

I’ve been taking Naturethroid for about 1 1/2 years and I feel so much better. I lost 20 pounds. Mentally I feel better and my hair doesn’t fall out by the handful

December 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm
(5) Mary says:

Yep, it’s about time. I went through years of “it’s all in your head” on synthroid. No doctor EVER tested my FT3. Now that my thyroid has been removed I am using Erfa natural thyroid. Although MDA writes my prescriptions and admits my numbers as well as vitals are great they continue to insist that using natural thyroid vs synthroid is not recommended…. that the fact that I feel normal again is really all in my head. Sigh……

December 25, 2012 at 6:18 pm
(6) Lulu says:

How would it help those of us without our thyroids? I had a TT due to thyroid cancer.

December 25, 2012 at 6:44 pm
(7) Deirdre says:

AUSTRALIA. I’ve just Read Mary Shomon – About.com Thyroid Disease Guide re USNI of Health is to conduct a study re Porcine Extract & synthetic Treatments re Thyroid illness. But it is limited to US Military personnel. I also note your site states it conducts Clinical trials Worldwide -this is an extremely important study – can it not include World patients not just Military patients? I, & 2 sons – 1 with Aspergers – We ALL would well & truly qua.ify for this study and coud provide much information – tried and tested. by all of us for this trial. Both my sons have Intelligence Quotients of 200 and I am not lacking an IQ++. I await your response. SINCERELY, D……

Name:

Deirdre

December 26, 2012 at 9:49 am
(8) Peter says:

Has anyone checked on the link between asthma and hypothyroidism? By getting my doctor to give me T3 medication along with my Armor thyroid medication has allowed me to completeley rid myself of acute athsma within (3) days. I have now what is called a supressed thyroid. I feel like I’m ten years younger. I have lost 30 pounds and it just keeps slowly dropping off. I have no side effects and my doctor is totally amazed.Please checkout articles by Dr. David Derry and “Air Hunger to Death: Breathing Problems of Hypothyroid Patients” by Dr. John C. Lowe.

December 26, 2012 at 10:36 am
(9) Ann says:

I too am now on T3. Asked doctors, three of them, (male) for 35 years for T3. Jerks wouldn’t give it to me. Now that I have a female doctor and am on T3 I have not lost any weight, however I do have many other positive gains to mention: My horrible gas problem has finally subsided, my cholesterol which has been crazy for 35 years is back to normal, I have a little more energy, not much though. Questions – has anyone noticed that T3 robs you of Vitamin B12. I used to be on injections of B12 at 3 ml per month. Now I am on injections of 8 ml per month. I know it sounds high – but that is what keeps me in balance. Secondly – T3 seems to have affected my eyesight adversely. (Hashimotos thyroid with Sjogrens).

January 2, 2013 at 6:21 am
(10) pattingirls@gmail.com says:

My name is Patti Thomas and I live in Longview Texas. I have been batteling thyroid disease for many, many years now with little to no information from my
“specialist”. I stumbled upon this site one year following the loss of my precious Mother. (Trauma seems to make this much worse). No one I know can relate, so I began searching for someone that can!
I went through a thyroid storm several years ago but the “specialist” didn’t tell me anything! BECAUSE your memory is severly affected….this might be important-after all I too have a family! Sense a bit of frustration? You bet!!! I didn’t choose medical school as my career but I am seeking medical advice on a Computer? NOT all of it though…God has been my guide or I wouldn’t be here! :)
This can frightening when you are losing hair so fast that there is more in bathtub than on your head and your weight is changing so quickly as is your eyesight! Let’s not forget (if you can remember) the mind that has stored so very much information….cannot remember which day it is and oh, by the way “what is your name again?”
Patti Thomas
Longview, TX.

January 12, 2013 at 10:46 am
(11) paul says:

Big deal. Another study comparing an ineffective storage hormone to an effective natural hormone that will only be take until tsh is “within range”. We all know that ndt at an effective dose will supress tsh. So why be excited. I can already tell you results. Let us not forget who we are dealing with. A better study would be one which challenges the tsh.:-)

March 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm
(12) lisa says:

I am paranoid for prescription drugs, when I was told that I have problem whit my thyroid, I wanted the natural pills, the dr told me she do not belive it is good, and would not prescribe it, I asked her why not it is legal drug and I have some problem with the other one. She would not change her mind and dropped me. I went to a more open minded dr and got the pills.
It is very upsetting that most of the dr.s do not care to update the latest news on they field. and this is not the only problem I had regarding using natural ways.

February 26, 2014 at 12:23 pm
(13) Diane says:

I have been on erfa for 3yrs because I could not get armour anymore I am doing great. I was on synthroid and did terrible in every way. I get my armour in Canada and you can get it under the name armour the same as erfa.. I hope this helps. God bless, Diane