1. Health

Mary Shomon

Tirosint Bypasses Coffee’s Effect on Thyroid Drug Absorption

By February 21, 2012

Most thyroid patients are aware that drinking coffee with -- or a few minutes after -- taking regular levothyroxine prevents proper absorption of the medication. (See Coffee and Thyroid Medication.)

But new research presented at the American Thyroid Association meeting in 2011 reported on the softgel capsule formulation of levothyroxine known as Tirosint -- the newest entry to the levothyroxine market -- evaluating whether patients could drink coffee around the time they took Tirosint, and still not suffer impaired absorption.

What the researchers learned was that the Tirosint softgel capsule appears to be "coffee-resistant" and according to the researchers, can be used to achieve a target TSH level -- and proper medication absorption -- in patients who are unwilling or unable to change the way they take their levothyroxine.

Interestingly, even in patients who do not drink coffee within an hour of taking their medication, TSH testing suggested that patients were achieving better absorption using the Tirosint, as compared to levothyroxine in tablet form.

Learn more about Tirosint now.

SAVINGS TIP: At Tirosint's patient web page, you can print a coupon that will get you your first 28-day prescription for Tirosint for free.

Sources: S. Benvenga, et. al. "A Novel Formulation of L-Thyroxine (L-T4) Solves Problems of L-T4 Malabsorption Caused by Coffee in Patients Under Replacement or TSH Suppressive L-T4 Therapy with Conventional Tablets," Abstracts of the American Thyroid Association Annual Meeting, 2011

Comments
February 21, 2012 at 8:03 am
(1) Ducklady says:

What about tea? I drink strong tea every morning, when I take my levothyroxine. Being on thyroid hormone, synthetic or not, after 25 years of misdiagnosis has been like rising from the dead.

I also take 2000 IEU of Vitamin D and a multivitamin. I’ve often wondered if this causes any problems with interactions. There’s not much chance I’ll remember to take all this if I do it separately. I can barely remember to take the stuff once a day. The thyroid med helps hugely, but the Vitamin D is what really puts me over the top.

I do avoid eating grapefruit, just to be on the safe side, since it seems to conflict with so many meds.

February 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm
(2) Linda Skipper says:

I have not found any insurance that will cover Tirosint. It is a lot more expensive than any other thyroid drug but gives me the least amount of side effects. You do not mention it is gluten free and dairy free, which people will want to know.

Does anyone know an insurance that will cover it?

February 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm
(3) M Wilson says:

I have no problems with adverse reaction from foods or drinks when taking my levothyroxin and the answer is simple, take it at bedtime with water and it has all night to do its job with nothing to interfere with it.. Changing my time from morming to bedtime dose has had a good effect on my TSH and T4 levels.

February 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(4) Judith Auerbach says:

Tirosint was a godsend for me. Within 2 days of taking the pill for of levothytroxin, I was getting cramps, diarrhea, etc. I have tried taking the pill form at night and I slept horribly, awakening every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Tirosint works like a charm.

Linda, Tirosint isn’t covered by insurance or by Medicare but I’ve found that Prescription Solutions seems to have the best price, I don’t understand why insurance companies do not cover Tirosint unless it’s because the other levyothyroxin drug makers are so afraid of this new competition that they have pushed the insurance companies ?? It’s very unfair to those of us who just can’t handle the piill form. It seems that there are lot of patients who react to the fillers and dyes in the pill form. Fortunately, my endocrinologist gave me a sample of the Tirosint and told me that he thought it would work where the others hadn’t.

February 21, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(5) Shelley says:

I take Tirosint and it is covered by BCBS. I am allergic to the fillers in Synthroid. So Tirosint & Cytomel are working great for me.

February 21, 2012 at 6:47 pm
(6) Sarah says:

I’ve been taking Tirosint for the last year, in place of Synthroid. Although I always wait an hour or so to have my coffee, I am feeling a lot better after switching to Tirosint. On Synthroid I used to have somewhat decent test results, but still had all the symptoms of Hypothyroid, including continual fatigue. weight gain, hair loss, freezing hands and feet, etc.Tirosint has definitely helped alleviate most of those symptoms.

February 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm
(7) Frannie says:

I can tell you exactly why insurance companies don’t cover Tirosint: because it costs more and they’re too cheap to shell out the money for it. They use the argument that because synthroid in pill form is cheaper and the majority of doctors believe it works just fine, why should they pay more money for the liquid version of the medicine? As an emergency room RN of 12 years, I have frequent interactions with all of the major insurance companies, and they all follow the same basic premise: only cover the cheapest treatment/procedure/medicine available in order to produce a higher profit margin. This is an excellent example of the strangle-hold insurance companies have on our healthcare. The next time you can’t get your MD to order a test or refer you to a specialist, blame your insurance company because that’s who is controlling the purse strings, so to speak.

February 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm
(8) shane says:

It’s unsettling to me that I’ve been taking Synthroid for almost 12 years (after a thyroidectomy for papillary cancer) and somehow had never been aware of this interaction between it and coffee. Yikes.

February 22, 2012 at 4:59 am
(9) Skirmisher6 says:

Tirosint gelcaps sound like just what I need since I have an allergy to Magnesium Strearate and yellow dyes.

February 22, 2012 at 7:24 am
(10) Lynne T. says:

My endo recommends waiting an hour after I take my T4 in the morning, and it really works. I just take the pill the second I get up and usually it’s about an hour by the time I leave the house with my coffee in hand.

My endo also recommends waiting 4 hours for calcium and other supplements.

I noticed a difference when I started waiting and I notice a difference now if I don’t wait.

February 26, 2012 at 11:25 am
(11) Peter says:

Tirosint is covered by Cigna’s Home Delivery Pharmacy. It’s slightly cheaper than brand-name Synthroid. Now I need to convince my stodgy doctor to let me try it!

March 1, 2012 at 8:51 am
(12) Betty says:

I will just crush my levothyroxine and it will be the same as powder from a capsule.

IMO its not the coffee that interferes, but the creamer you put in it, such as soy coffee creamer.

March 1, 2012 at 9:18 am
(13) Mary Shomon says:

Betty, the Tirosint capsule contains liquid, not powder.

And the research has shown that it’s the coffee itself, the acid in it makes it difficult to absorb the levothyroxine. It has nothing to do with creamer, the studies were done with black coffee…

Just need to clarify this, because it’s important for people to realize that coffee can and will interfere with thyroid medication if taken too close together, and Tirosting liquid capsules can bypass that side effect.

March 1, 2012 at 10:07 am
(14) Anthony says:

I’ve been taking the lowest dosage of Tirosint and it works. However, I have these side effects, metallic taste in my mouth and anger issues.
Has anyone else had these side effects.

March 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(15) bea says:

good information, Mary. also, i liked your article on being in tune with your pharmacy/pharmacist. that is so important. yes, it is the coffee, just like you said that interferes with the absorption of levothyroxine. on the negative side, i have not seen an insurance company ( that i have dealt with as a pharmacist in north carolina) AS YET, that will cover the tirosint. unfortunately, it is very expensive.but if it means getting good absorption verses not, and better TSH, T4,,etc, levels then it might just be worth it.

March 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm
(16) Avis says:

At 81 years young, and taking thyroid meds for 40 years, I am so confused by the TSH test. I feel so much better on a higher dose but my doc refuses to raise it. My numbers are 1.48 and 3.34 and wonder about your bloggers quoting much lower numbers. Are LOWER numbers better or HIGHER numbers? I have gained 10 pounds since going from Levo @75 down to 50. I am going to try a 50 at night and split a 50 to take in the morning. I feel so heavy and bloated on the lower dose and will adjust it myself if my doc will not. I believe I know my body better than a chart on suggested dosage.

March 10, 2012 at 10:45 am
(17) Betty says:

I have been drinking coffee for 22 years with my levothyroxine without problems. It is probably because I have drank coffee for so many years after taking my levothyroxine.

March 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm
(18) Christine says:

Hello Avis, it sounds like your doctor will not raise your dosage, lowering it in fact because there is concern with Osteoporosis and Synthroid higher dosages. I’ve had the same conversation with my doctor who when lowered mine i felt worse, my hair fell out in clumps and i cannot lose any weight plus fatigue. He raised it but not without pressed discussion.

June 17, 2012 at 11:04 am
(19) CHER BLANCO says:

TIROSINT IS MOST DEFINANTLY COVERED BY MEDICARE, AND ALSO, YOU CANNOT SPLIT TIROSINT AS IT IS A GEL CAP. ALSO, IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO SPLIT ANY THYROID MEDICATION AS THYROID MEDICATIONS TEND TO SWELL UP ONCE IN YOUR THROAT OR BODY AND THAT IS WHY IT IS NECESSARY TO TAKE WITH A FULL GLASS OF WATER…..I CAN’T BELIEVE SOME OF THE THINGS I READ HERE, ITS LIKE YOUR DOCTORS DO NOT INFORM YOU OF PROPPER USAGE.

June 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(20) Laurie says:

I cannot believe what I’ve read here. I never knew about coffee interfering with absorption of Levoxyl. I’ve been feeling horrible for a year now and gaining weight like crazy.

Until a year ago I’d been drinking herbal tea due to getting an interstitial cystitis diagnosis. I had lost weight and was feeling fabulous up till then but when I’d gotten a huge kidney stone and had it removed my urologist did not notice any signs of IC and I went back to drinking coffee with my morning meds.

Since then I gained 15 lbs, I’m tired and exhausted. I went as far as calling my doc and requesting a change in thyroid meds but now I’m reading this and amazed by the information.

Has anyone noticed taking regular Levoxyl changing the dosage to nighttime do you have difficulty falling or staying asleep?

July 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm
(21) Leslie says:

My daughter takes tirosint. We are vegetarians. Can she eat soy at least 4 hours later like she did when she took Synthroid?

July 4, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(22) Bridget says:

I’ve just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism after taking RAI for graves disease. This has been horrible. I took ( levo) synthroid medication and found out I am allergic to the dyes in them. Now my endo has me on UNITHYOID , I started at 25mcg. wasn’t helping. she increased it to 100mcg. I still feel horrible. I really hate the 25 lbs. I’ve gained in the past 3 months. I feel like a walking water balloon. Bloated body, bloated face, and horrible water bags all around my eyes. I am starting to feel like I don’t want to leave my house. I;m feeling like a monster. Has anyone had the same problems going through this. And if you have SWITCHED to this TIROSINT GEL TABS. Has it helped you with weight loss and bloating ?
And have you had more energy ? I really need to get back to my old self.
I feel so off balance. My legs, feet , hand and now my arms all have been tingling and cold numbness. Maybe this medication can help me. Any input is appreciated.

July 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm
(23) Eva Walters says:

Maybe you should have your T3 checked, this above mentioned drugs, only take care of the T$, but if you can not convert, you will feel sluggish, gain weight, hair falls out, and i must tell you most old fashioned endos do not like T3 therapy even it is a life saver. They are stuck on the TSH only, they should be sick as we are, i bet than they would look for the reason why. If you do not convert the T4 in to T3, you gaining nothing but weight.

Eva

July 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm
(24) michelle says:

i had RAI treatment 10 years ago.after loosing 5 and a half stone weighing only 8 stone. treated for depression for 3 years i felt let down by my GP. moving doctors they picked up on it the first visit. Now underactive i have been put on the shelf,GP not interested in my continual symptoms. Head aches fatigue beyond control hair loss water retention depressive thoughts and moods gruff voice. I am so glad i have read these comments about coffee. I am addicted to coffee and cant go a couple of hours without a large mug. I shall now call my GP and go have a good talk with him… Thank god its not all in my head. THANKYOU

August 20, 2012 at 11:11 am
(25) Liz says:

My endo told me that I can drink coffee with my meds as long as I do the same thing everyday. I wait an hour to eat but I definitely have the coffee with the meds. I’m on Tirosent and Cytomel and feeling great!

February 5, 2013 at 8:01 am
(26) Ducklady says:

I was never told to drink water with my levothyroxin, nor was I ever told to avoid coffee, soy, calcium etc. I was told to take it at night. Period.

Taking it at night kept me awake and wired so I switched to morning. I actually chew the tablet, take it with a lot of strong tea, 2000 IEU Vitamin D and a generic vitamin-for-old-ladies tablet.

I tried taking calcium because I’m kind of a sitting duck for osteoporosis, but after feeling really crappy and tired for two weeks happened to read calcium interferes with the thyroid meds.

In short, I was told basically nothing about how to take these meds, other than to take it at a time of day that doesn’t work well.

I still don’t know if tea interferes with the meds. I’m not going to give up my morning tea and that’s the only time I’d ever remember to take the meds so I guess I’ll stick to what I’m doing.

February 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm
(27) carolyn hunter says:

in May of 2009, Dr Panicker et al, in the “Journal of Clinical Endocrinology”…..described a huge study that was done concerning the ability of some folks to NOT be able to convert T4 to T3.

They detrmined that almost 16 percent of patients tested, lacked sufficient (or some, even any of the necessary enzyme) to do the conversion…therefore….. for those patients only natural dessicated thyroid of porcine origin, or straight T3, instead of the synthetic …..was required to be effective.

Have your endocrinologist look this study up to persuade them to adjust your meds if you are one of those unfortunate folks.

February 12, 2013 at 10:48 am
(28) Julie says:

Tirosint had changed my life!!!! My Anthem Blue Criss PPO covers 100% minus the $5 co pay! I use Medco /express scripts!!!!

March 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(29) Karla says:

I have been taking tirosint for a year and a half now. I was allergic to levothyroxine So they switched me to this and it works great! I lost 60 pounds with it, exercise and diet. I have care first net hey cover it with express scripts, Thank god! It’s bee a life saver but no one ever told me about coffee I usually don’t eat or drink for the dirt 45 minutes so I think I would be okay either way!

April 10, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(30) Lainey says:

Was diagnosed with hashi’s in 2005, been through 4 doctors and not ONE of them EVER told me about how certain foods, drinks, and supplements could interfere with the absorption of thyroxine, I am presently on 137mcg of synthroid, I am 5.5, & my highest weight has never been over 130lbs, now 51, & recently gained 5 lbs, am tired often. Just switched to tirosint. I am shocked at what I’ve discovered about coffee. I just want to say, am SOOO done with doctors who take nutrition lightly, it’s almost criminal!

June 5, 2013 at 6:43 am
(31) Joy C. says:

Julie what Anthem Blue Cross or Blue Shield plan do you have? I have Anthem BC, a PPO plan $2500 deductible, which they changed to $2650, I believe, and I have to pay almost $32,with insurance, for each Tirosint prescription every month. I have to buy the 50 mcg. & 13 mcg. doses every month. When I was taking Tirosint a year and a half ago, it was only about $20.51 per prescription with insurance. Why they have raised the price that much, I do not know, but it is extremely frustrating bcuz Levoxyl is now out of production, and I am allergic to Synthroid, so the most expensive meds are my only choice. Go figure.

June 14, 2013 at 6:43 am
(32) Saige says:

Oh my! So many of you have not been told anything about how to take your thyroid pills…and neither was I, so I talked to my pharmacist and did my own research:
- after taking pill, wait 1-hour to eat
- if you’ve eaten, take the pill 2-hours after you eat
- NO vitamins or supplements within 4-hours of taking the pill (before or after) especially iron, calcium and vitamin d.

Now, switching to Tirosint saved me! I was on generic levothyroxine and they couldnt regulate my levels, i switched between hyper and hypo regularly and never knew how I’d feel day-to-day. It was terrible and it negatively affected my social and dating life (agitated when hyper, a hermit when hypo).

I am also dye and filler sensitive so it could have been the ingredients tha t threw me off. Anyway, i take two 88mcg pills per day to replace my non-existent thyroid which was lost to thyroid cancer.

The best part of Tirosint? My levels were regulated quickly and I feel the same each day…i’ve convinced several people in my life with thyroid issues to make the switch and they are each happier for having done so.

Additionally, I contacted Akrimax (pharm. company) because my local pharmacies were ‘out’ of tirosint one month, and they called me immediately and helped me track down some pills…very helpful, and seemed to actually CARE.

All the best to you, and please ask your docs and pharmacists lots of questions in order to get your needs met! :)

July 24, 2013 at 6:46 pm
(33) Roni says:

My daughter is on 2nd month of Tirosint and is not covered by insurance. The company doubled their price of it this month so now paying $60 for a month, had to call dr to change to something else. I myself take armour and absolutely love it after being allergic to Synthroid.

July 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm
(34) Anne says:

Regarding your medical care and taking pharmaceuticals, always take ultimate responsibility. Here’s a story: When I was taking Levoxyl after many years with no problems or changes to my body, suddenly I found myself about seven or so pounds heavier. I called the pharmaceutical company that makes Levoxyl and spoke to a very nice and informative woman in customer service. Her first question was whether I had changed my diet by incorporating soy into it. (How did she know?) Having recently returned from a long trip to Japan where I ate soy–tofu and such–every morning for breakfast AND on top of that had started dating a Chinese man who was taking me out to lots of Chinese dinners, I realized that, indeed,there was soy in my diet where there hadn’t been before. She went on to say that pharmaceutical companies spend millions of dollars on detailed research and testing and in the case of this drug, studies showed that soy prevents proper absorption. She went on to say that it doesn’t mean you can’t eat soy, but that if it’s going to be in your diet, regularly and long term–and certainly within four hours of your medication then you should request an increase in dosage. She went on further to say that their research also found that walnuts and all cruciferous vegetables similarly prevent proper absorption. (Wait four hours after taking the medication to ingest those things.) She also advised me not to keep the medication in the bathroom where the moisture and heat can reduce the potency as well. Who knew? I was amazed. Fortunately, my doctor had advised me never to eat or drink anything for one hour after ingesting so I did know that much. Did my weight go back to normal after a while? (I wasn’t having Japanese breakfasts anymore.) Yes, it did. Incidentally, I started the Tirosint a few months ago when Levoxyl went off the market. I’ve assumed the same about it and all T4–I follow the advice noted above. If I have any problems again, I will call the Tirosint folks.

August 22, 2013 at 1:52 am
(35) Deb LB says:

To Saige:

RE: Tirosint

You mentioned you take two 88 mcg pills per day. Do you take one in AM & one in PM?

I think I’m going to try this, since I am almost out of Levoxyl; and will see doctor/get labs within a couple weeks.

I, too, had a total thyroidectomy; many years ago. My symptoms have been up and down; compounded now by perimenopause changes.

It’s a routine for me to wait a few hours to eat/drink after taking my prescription.

August 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(36) Linda says:

I am on Medicare and Tirosint is NOT COVERED by Medicare! They gave me a slight discount through Plan B but no more. Tirosint doubled their prices and I have to take two strengths because I am in between doses.
Now I have to pay for double for two prescriptions. How suspicious that it suddenly happens when Levoxyl goes off the market and other thyroid drugs are not manufacturing anymore. I am disgusted as I also shell out big bucks for compounded time-release T3. I will be looking into several things, one will be compounded T4, free of allergens (which others might want to look into). I believe these will be not only free of allergens but cheaper than the prices being charged by Big Pharma. The other thing I am going to look into is raising my T4 so it will fit into the capsule dosage of one pill, instead of two. I am also going to look into a Medicare D plan that will cover Tirosint. We as thyroid patients need more choices.

August 28, 2013 at 10:24 am
(37) kjennings says:

I was tested by Endo and had normal/high TSH of 3.8. She put me on Tirosint (25 mcg) once a day. Its been 8 days, i have SO much energy and the bloating and tiredness GONE. I actually feel so normal again and I love it!!! Before taking this, I could not get up in the mornings and I always felt sluggish like I needed a nap. I feel great!

August 28, 2013 at 10:50 am
(38) Kristin says:

I’m very upset that the manufacturer doubled its prices.
Bad enough to be dependent on a medication at the age of 28, but then having to shell out so much money monthly for the rest of my life… Being ill is expensive & its not fair.

November 21, 2013 at 4:08 pm
(39) seana says:

I have to mention here that the Fluoride in Black tea and green tea can greatly interfere with the thyroid meds as well. Fluoride is a key component in the degradation of the thyroid. It is in your water and your toothpaste and majorly high levels in black tea and green tea. So if you take your meds with tea you are as bad off as the coffee drinkers. Take note.

November 25, 2013 at 10:16 am
(40) JJ says:

I see a reknowned endo in Houston. I have Hashimoto’s and Hyperprolactinemia (for which I take Cabergoline). I had taken Levoxyl since 2008. I would venture to guess the Levoxyl efficacy was questionable since for several months I noticed a marked difference-however, I attributed this to an upcoming move (AGAIN). THE day we moved from our home, my husband went to pick up my medicine & I knew my Dr called in Tirosint. That way May 8,2013. I had been taking Levoxyl 112 M-F & 125 Sat & Sun. The Tirosint was to be 125 M-F & 112 Sat & Sun (I called to see if this was an error but it was not since my #’s had been “creeping up”-hypo. WELL…after 6 weeks of diarrhea, heart palps,”tired but wired”,sleeplessness, weird “pang” in upper stomach) I was put to 112 daily. Weeks later-same symptoms. (Keep in mind I did not know how much to attribute to the stress of a major move). Fast forward…tried Synthroid (allergic). Back to 100 Tirosint-same symptoms rtnd. Stopped all med for 5 days (felt great, then BAM-can’t get out of bed). SO… took 100 Tirosint 2 days ago. Had palps, but no diarrhea. Took nothing yest -felt well & energetic. Nothing today either & had diarrhea, no palps, but woke twice in the night & am anxious & energetic today. Hmmm…I’ve read extensively on this drug & REALLY want it to work for me. SO-QUESTION is…..for those who were on Kevoxyl @ 112 & switched to Tirosint, what did YOUR dose of Tirosint end up to be? Obviously everyone’s diff. I’ve read the bioavailability of Tirosint as compare to other synthetic T4 to be 103%. Obviously my body responds to this. My Dr suggested perhaps 100 every OTHER day, but I think that’s still too much. What to do?? Any suggestions appreciated. Btw-I am fully aware it takes 4-6 weeks to adjust to dosage change. However-the obvious hyper symptoms are immediate & do not warrant the wait. Thank you. This is the 1st I’ve ever participated in any message board.

December 7, 2013 at 8:20 pm
(41) Nikki says:

I also take tirosint 112 mg 4 times a week and tirosint 125 mg 3 times a week due to having papillary cancer. My thyroid was also removed along with my parathyroid . My endo doesn’t want me to have the RAI because he said n 20 to 30 year’s it could cause cancer to come somewhere else n my body . My thyroid was removed n 2011 . I do feel very bloated and I keep gaining weight. He did tell me to take my meds on a empty stomach and wait a hour before I eat or drink anything so I just set my alarm for 5 am and go back to sleep. I’m tired a lot and very fatigue. My levels have to be at .039 so may cancer doesn’t come back .

February 11, 2014 at 11:31 am
(42) Cynthia says:

I feel so uncared for at this moment and I read these posts to try to get some comfort and answers. My Endo is good but makes me feel like I am not feeling what I feel. I took Synthroid for yews after complete Thryoidectomy/parathyroid also. The Synthroid over the years took my hair out and I gained massive amounts of weight, had cataracts on both eyes before I was 45. You name it something weird has happened to me that is not hereditary. I went from Synthroid to Armour which for some reason made me real hoarse but the Endo didnt adjust the doses too much and just assumed it was wrong for me. I then went to Levothyroxine and my heel is sore, my side aches, constipated everyday, anxiety to the max, always thinking something bad is going to happen and the list goes on. For some reason my Endo doesnt think this is thyroid med related. I have been up and down with this for over 25 years. Had a good Endo but changed to Kaiser Insurance and trying to find a Endo that knows whats going on is difficult so I have changed alot. I want to now try the Tirosant and see if this may be the one for me because I am so tired of flipping back and forth. Levothyroxine is generic and it feels generic. Anybody relate to me?

February 17, 2014 at 11:50 am
(43) Debbie Duvall says:

My insurance covers Tirosint. I have been on it for 4 years or so and it’s always been covered.

March 14, 2014 at 5:43 pm
(44) Marisol Cuellar says:

Tirosint is the first and only T4 in liquid gel cap form. This pure formulation consists only of T4, glycerin, gelatin, and water. Unlike some tablet formulations, Tirosint is free of dyes, gluten, lactose, sugar, and alcohol. Ask your doctor if Tirosint could be right for you.

Tirosint is available in 10 dosage strengths housed in blister packs to protect Tirosint from light and moisture. Blister packs are also clearly marked for daily dosing.

Tirosint is unique and has no generic substitute. If your doctor prescibes it, check your prescription before leaving the pharmacy to be sure you are getting the Tirosint your doctor asked for.

Tirosint is administered as a single daily dose, preferably one-half to one-hour before breakfast. Tirosint should be taken at least 4 hours apart from drugs that are known to interfere with its absorption. Due to the long half-life of levothyroxine, the peak therapeutic effect at a given dose of levothyroxine sodium may not be attained for 4-6 weeks.

Tirosint should be protected from light and moisture and stored at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15°-30°C (59°-86°F).

Unlike levothyroxine sodium tablets, Tirosint capsules cannot be cut or crushed.

March 14, 2014 at 5:44 pm
(45) Marisol Cuellar says:

Taken from the website—

April 14, 2014 at 5:08 pm
(46) Regina says:

Deb, What type of insurance do you have?

April 20, 2014 at 10:19 am
(47) Lena says:

Linda, I have had two different insurance companies, and they have both covered the cost of tirosint. One insurance company was Blue Cross, and the other was Aetna. Both companies wanted me to use a mail order pharmacy called Express Scripts to get them.