1. Health

Mary Shomon

Popular Over-the-Counter Thyroid Supplements Contain Actual Thyroid Hormone

By February 21, 2012

Researchers recently reported on a study of the thyroid hormone content in the ten most popular over-the-counter (OTC) health supplements that are marketed as ''thyroid support." The selected products were assessed for the presence of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), and the amount of T4 and T3 was measured separately for each supplement sample.

Surprisingly, nine out of ten supplements showed detectable amounts of T3, ranging from 1.3 mcg to 25.4 mcg per tablet.

Taken at the recommended dosage, five of the ten supplements delivered T3 quantities in excess of 10 mcg/day, and four delivered T4 quantities ranging from 8.57 to 91.6 mcg/day.

Among the five thyroid supplements labeled as containing bovine (cow) thyroid tissue, extract or concentrate, one had no level of T3 or T4 detectable; two contained T3 only, and two showed detectable amounts of both T3 and T4.

The researchers concluded that most of the OTC thyroid supplements that were studied contained clinically-significant amounts of T4 and T3, in some cases doses that exceed typical prescribed amounts being used for thyroid hormone replacement treatement.

According to the research abstract, "this potentially exposes patients to risk of iatrogenic hyperthyroidism by taking easily accessible OTC supplements not requiring prescription. The current study results emphasize the importance of patient and provider education regarding the use of OTC herbal supplements and highlights the need for greater regulation of OTC supplements potentially dangerous to the public."

The message for patients? You'll want to be discuss use of over-the-counter "thyroid support" supplements with your doctor, and make sure that you don't end up accidentally overmedicated, by combining your thyroid hormone replacement medication with over-the-counter supplements that contain active thyroid hormone.

Source: Kang, G.Y. "Thyroxine and Triiodothyronine Content in Commercially Available Thyroid Health Supplements," Abstracts of the American Thyroid Association Annual Meeting, 2011

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
February 21, 2012 at 2:09 am
(1) Ellen says:

Mary, are you for us or against us? Some patients have absolutely no choice but to self treat or get no treatment at all. Are you trying to scare the daylights out of them? If so, why? Stop it! You sound like you have sold out to the pharmaceutical companies! I am shocked!

February 21, 2012 at 2:13 am
(2) Regina says:

Mary, thank you for always being so I formative, and empowering those who suffer to make educated decisions.

February 21, 2012 at 2:30 am
(3) Ellen Wilde says:

Mary, have you been hacked???

February 21, 2012 at 3:57 am
(4) Catherine says:

I am thrilled to know this because every patient has had the experience of not being able to get Armour. I never took these because I figured they would not help, but now I think it’s great to know that there is a back up for patients.

Think about all the patients who can’t get insurance because of a pre-existing condition. At least they would be able to get some thyroid support. But I am concerned that this story will send the FDA in to drive these supplements underground and those that need them won’t be able to get them.

I’d also like to know who Kang is and how this research was funded — who paid for it.

February 21, 2012 at 5:14 am
(5) Victoria says:

I’m with Ellen and Catherine. If you were getting too much, your lab tests would show it and the doctor would cut down your prescription dose. I don’t think big pharma needs to regulate any OTC supplements. They regulate too much as it is. There are more medications that have been “approved” by the FDA that are dangerous than OTC meds.

February 21, 2012 at 5:49 am
(6) Amanda (UKI) says:

I wish they’d give the brand names or none of this helps really. I knew about this study already as Dr. Lowe had mentioned it.

I take Nutri Thyroid and Nutri Adrenal Extra (from Nutri, a UK company that uses dessicated bovine glandular from New Zealand), and don’t even know if this was included in the study.

February 21, 2012 at 6:40 am
(7) Genie says:

I used to take Nutri Thyroid and Adrenal support, under the guidance of a private doctor, as he discovered that I make something called Reverse T3 so that although blood tests showed T3 levels as normal in fact they were not. I felt well when taking these supps. but would never take them without supervision – which costs, and can’t afford it at the moment. We have to do whatever we can to try and get ourselves well, but still to stay within safe limits – very very difficult.

February 21, 2012 at 7:21 am
(8) Ginny says:

This little story has the ability to make a lot of people very sick!! I am one of the many out there that can’t find a Dr. that will treat me for symptoms with Natural Dessicated Thyroid medication. I can’t get any insurance because of previous condition, and OTC medicine has helped me live again..Are you trying to get these meds taken off the market?? I thought you worked with patients to help them not make them sicker? Have you turned your back on them to kiss the feet of big pharma?? I think you have done a really big injustice to us suffering with Thyroid disease and need the help of these medications..We do not need the FDA stepping on our toes..

February 21, 2012 at 8:03 am
(9) Stacey says:

I have to concur with those who object to the thrust of this article. Allopathic medicine is shockingly deficient in recognizing hypothyroidism. I have probably had Hashimotos/hypothyroidism for 20 years but was only diagnosed last year by my accupuncturist after my allopathic doctor at a prestigious university medical clinic refused to recognize a TSH of 5.6 as hypothyroidism. I now take quality supplements that not only provide desicated porcine glandular concentrate and Lamb Pituitarty/Hypothalmus complex but many other essential ingredients that support thyroid and adrenal health. I have lost 47 lbs, my cholesterol and blood sugar have returned to normal, I am no longer fatigued and short of breath. All my allopathic doctor can do is lament that I won’t give up these supplements for synthetic T4, only, that others only struggle with as it does not treat all of their symptoms. It is the allopathic clinics that should be investigated for their total disregard for women’s thryoid health while allowing them to develop diabetes, obesity and heart disease. I intend to file a complaint with the Regents of this University Medical Clinic & Hospital and investigate the possibility of starting a national campaign to expose and change this inexcusable disregard for women’s health! My supplements are infinately higher quality than synthetic T4 and women need to take control of their own thyroid health because big pharma will not! There’s no money in it for them.

February 21, 2012 at 8:05 am
(10) Debra says:

I appreciate this valuable information. I don’t think Mary was advocating for or against taking supplements, rather, she was trying to educate people as to the possibility of burning out your thyroid by taking too much of them. I am grateful for this information as I have been wondering if I should be taking supplements and what to look for when choosing them.

February 21, 2012 at 8:06 am
(11) lynn says:

An endocrinologist diagnosed me with a very hyperthyroid condition in 2003. After taking fulvic minerals (not to be confused with with folate – a B vitamin) , my T4 tested in normal ranges within a month and the T3 tested in normal ranges within a month or two. The TSH took longer to return to normal. I have had a healthy functioning thyroid for more than eight years due to taking fulvic minerals, which is being used in Beijing China to support normal thyroid function. I did not use any mainstream medication or have any invasive procedures.

February 21, 2012 at 8:10 am
(12) Bh says:

What is the point of writing the article if you don’t list the thyroid supplements used in the study? That is stupid and irresponsible. I’ve read the article twice, from my phone, and don’t see the supplements named. Name the supplements so readers can at least see if they’re using one of them.

February 21, 2012 at 8:15 am
(13) magaret says:

Firstly, please go easy on Mary. She is just reporting on the study; she did not actually conduct the study, so let’s not shoot the messenger, ok?
Still, it would be good if Mary could give a rebuttal to some of these arguments, if only to let us know that you’re listening.
Secondly, some of us, myself included, live in countries where dessicated thyroid ( Armour) is not even available as an option , so whereas you in First World countries have the ability to negociate with your doctors, we just have to accept and settle for the T4 treatment. Personally, it was only after doing the research that I was able to hunt down the one drug store in my country that supplies the natural bovine supplement ( Solaray thyroid caps). So, please, you are not in such a bad way. Thanks ,Mary, for being a pioneer , and for all the help.

February 21, 2012 at 8:16 am
(14) magaret says:

February 21, 2012 at 8:30 am
(15) Laura says:

I don’t think Mary meant to attack or inflame anyone- she was only reporting about a study. Don’t shoot the messenger.
This interested me because when I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto’s and put on natural thyroid I wondered about taking a supplement of some sort. Thankfully my endocrinologist is very good, and takes vitamin supplements of all sorts herself and encourages it for her patients who need it. We discussed taking thyroid support formulas and she was aware that many of them actually contained some “real” thyroid just like the medication and told me to steer clear until we got my meds settled on the proper dosage.
Had I not had a great Dr like I do and was wondering if I should take an OTC in addition to my medication I’d find this article very informative in helping me decide. I think Mary was just passing on the info to warn those that are already on a medication that taking a thyroid support pill OTC could cause them to veer into hyperthyroidism.

February 21, 2012 at 8:44 am
(16) Michael says:

I’m a bit confused by this comment. In one hand I’ve heard that you are for patients getting better no matter what provided they are informed, intelligent, cautious and dot all their I’s and cross all their T’s. From one perspective it looks like you’re informing people that there is an alternative to T4 or T3 treatment when put against an Endo or Dr that refuses anything BUT synthetic treatment. On the other hand, it almost appears that you are in bed with the Dr’s and big Pharma telling people no matter how educated they become, no matter how much research they do and even if their blood tests, basal temperatures, etc point that they are Under treated etc, that they should always listen to (in some cases) their ignorant pompas Dr’s.. I hope the latter is true and hope that history does not repeat itself in the respect that Power corrupts and Absolute power corrupts absolutely..

February 21, 2012 at 9:08 am
(17) judy says:

I read this site every now and then…it is very confusing to the lay person. It seems to keep going on and on…so drawn out. It is like watching t.v. one week something is good for you the next week…don’t take it. When a person takes any medication, I don’t care who you are, you personally are going to react differently, so when you read sites like this and follow what the “New Thing” is, it can screw you up, even listening to a Dr. can. You, yourself has to make adjustments for yourself, WITH the help of a DR….as with any other medication. I am opting out of these emails..

February 21, 2012 at 9:15 am
(18) Penny says:

I’m disappointed in this article for all the reasons mentioned in posts above. I felt a rising concern over your real message as I read. I wondered if you were receiving something from big pharma to lay off them. You have always in the past stressed empowerment for the patient, now you are not. My trust in this column has taken a hit. It seems nobody is for the regular people anymore.

February 21, 2012 at 9:26 am
(19) Jen says:

I toio would like to know the name of the supplements, as I cannot afford to go to the doctor right now and would like to at least be getting some hormone to help my hashimotos.

Can someone please email me at jennysmi with yahoo and let me know what formulas you take?

February 21, 2012 at 9:35 am
(20) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Look, everyone — as informed thyroid patients, we need to know what is being reported to doctors — and this study was big news at the Thyroid Association meeting.

I am not making a judgement about whether or not patients should or shouldn’t take these supplements — that’s up to you to decide. I know some people who have had borderline issues, and used these supplements in lieu of prescription medication. I also know some people who have been on prescription meds, and took supplements as well, and ended up with levels going up and down and all around because they didn’t realize that the supplements had some active hormone in them.

Patients need to know that while thyroid supplements are marketed as not having any thyroid hormone in them, the research found that they do.

(Also, they did not list the names of the supplement brands, but it was the “ten most popular thyroid support supplements” so I’m afraid I do not have the list of actual brands.)

In any case, some people take these on top of their prescribed thyroid meds, thinking that they are like a supportive vitamin, and end up overmedicated,or fluctuating, and can’t figure out why.

This is information to use in making decisions.

I am reporting on a major study — that I did not conduct — that patients need to know about, because your doctors will know about it.

So why all this killing the messenger, and somehow deciding that reporting on a study is selling out to big pharma? I don’t get it.

February 21, 2012 at 9:50 am
(21) Yolanda says:

I don’t get that kill the messenger mentality either and accusing you of being for big pharma? Wow. Amazing how different people can interpret things so differently. One poster said “every patient has had the problem of not being able to get Armour”. All I had to do was call my Dr and ask for it. It did not work well at all for me. I would much rather go with a natural product but Synthroid is working very well for me.

February 21, 2012 at 9:58 am
(22) Margarete says:

I wanted to take something more natural than the Levoxyl I was using and got Nutri–Meds Porcine Thyroid at 130 mg of whole dessicated gland, and in the month I took it, my level went dangerously low, to the point where my doctor yelled at me and asked if I was trying to die. So I went back to the Levoxyl which I don’t think makes me feel optimum but I’ve gotten so tired of not feeling my best that I’ve just kind of pulled back for a while till I can get motivated again to find a better way.

February 21, 2012 at 9:59 am
(23) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Also, wanted to mention. The FDA reads the medical journals and research. So it’s not as if this information was some sort of secret and only I had it, and that by mentioning it, I’m somehow calling the FDA’s attention to the issue. It was out there in the medical community.

Since the authors of the study are saying they think there needs to be greater regulation of these supplements, this means that if you are a patient who wants continued access to these supplements, and freedom from over-regulation of supplements, you should take action, and get on board with one of the groups fighting against excess regulation — among them the Health Freedoms group:
http://healthfreedoms.org/2011/07/11/action-dietary-supplement-labeling-act-new-fda-guidelines/ — and if anyone has other groups to recommend, feel free to share them.

For those who have a concern that you want to keep these supplements available, then absolutely it’s time go find a supplement advocacy campaign effort and sign on to help.

February 21, 2012 at 10:11 am
(24) Tracy says:

Sadly as much as she’s trying to be helpful. This really was a poorly written article. It never mentioned which ones didn’t contain enough thyriod in them and which had to much.

That’s like having your doctor say , take a few of these and a little of those and call me in the morning. Doesn’t tell you much does it?

February 21, 2012 at 10:12 am
(25) Charyl says:

Can a person over medicate if their doctor wants their thyroid levels to be at 0.01?

February 21, 2012 at 10:13 am
(26) Tracy says:

Plus I don’t trust anything the American Thyroid Association says. If you go to their website they support synthetic thyroid medications. And surgical removal of one’s thyroid. Instead of treating the problem.

February 21, 2012 at 10:18 am
(27) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Tracy, as I have already mentioned: The RESEARCH study itself does not mention the names of the brands. It talked about the “top ten” supplements.

February 21, 2012 at 10:48 am
(28) su says:

I was thrilled to read this article. My Dr., and every Dr. I’ve been to refuses to even discuss my slow and steady weight gain due to hypothyroidism, nor will they acknowledge that I’m not feeling better on Synthroid. So it’s great to hear there are over the counter drugs that I can take to raise my levels on my own, if only for short, experimental periods. Hopefully I can get out there and find something that helps before the legislation kicks in, and buy it in bulk!

Thanks Mary, for inadvertently putting the power back in my hands.

February 21, 2012 at 11:16 am
(29) Terry says:

I had been taking Armour thyroid and later switched to Natur-throid. Both supplements are probably less expensive than buying over the counter thyroid supplements. Plus you know what dose you are getting in the prescription products and the dose should be consistent. The way I found a doctor open to prescribing Armour was to ask a pharmacist what doctors in town prescribed Armour. Then I chose one and went to him and got the Armour. The same doctor was open to switching me to Nature-throid when I asked him. It is very important to educate yourself on your optimal lab results, too.

February 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm
(30) Pegasus says:

Wow 25 mcg of T3 – that is a lot of T3! My doctor and I decided to increase the amount of T3 I take and we did it at 2.5 mcg per WEEK! And with me taking my pulse at different times of the day and meeting with him once a month until my symptoms resolved.
It does make one wonder about what other ingredients that the manufacturers of supplements SAY are not in their products! To me any manufacturer that says thei r supplements do not contain thyroid hormones and yet those supplements DO contain thyroid hormones and not trace amounts either are LYING to the public and should be held accountable. I am not a fan of drug companies, what I do want is to know what is in a product and then I can make a decision with my doctor that is based on real information.

I think the responses jus indicate how badly the medical community is responsing to patients needs and it is very sad that this disease that so many patients have to rely on supplements for medication and treatment.

Thanks Mary for letting us know about this study.

February 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(31) Ruth says:

Interesting article. I know this is true because after being diagnosed hypothyroid I purchased and used one of the OTC products and brought my numbers back into normal range. My cholesterol had also been high prior to using the OTC product and it also dropped to normal range. It is also true, as a previous poster wrote, that OTC thyroid products are more expensive that Rx ones. I currently have an Rx for Armour but it’s nice to know that if a person needs thyroid help and can’t get an Rx there is something they can turn to.

February 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(32) Lyn says:

Responding to (9) Stacey- I have the identical issues with physicians at major university medical centers. Where are you located? I would like to ask if you can share the name of the accupunturist who has helped you to achieve success. I am still looking for someone to help me. Thanks-

February 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm
(33) Tori says:

I’m confused by the crticism of this article. Why wouldn’t anyone want to be informed of what is in These OTC supplements so they can pinpoint what works best for them? Pointing out this out and informing us isn’t negative. In my opinion it’s information to help patients find what works for them to KNOW what is in their prescribed medication AND OTC supplements they take.

February 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm
(34) Sylvie says:

@stacey, would you please share which supplement you are taking, I would like to take one that is high quality and you seem happy with the one you are taking, my daughter is on thyroid medicine and yes it is less expensive than otc supplements, but every time she needs more we have to pay $400 dollars to the doctor. So in my case I would like to try OTC supplements first because I cannot afford to pay the doctor another $400.but I do want to take a supplement that is recommended and good quality.

February 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm
(35) Diane says:

Those in this thread blaming Mary have not taken the time to become educated to know what hypothyroidism is. They don’t realize that Mary is putting powerful information in our hands, that we must be informed about so we can make rational decisions.

To depend on getting T3 from any supplement is no way to get better.

This article was shocking and important. Thank you Mary.

February 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm
(36) JSR says:

Why don’t you tell which supplements they are? Make it easier on the reader?

February 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(37) Lynn says:

Mary,

This information is extremely important – however, it is also equally important to NAME the supplements that were tested, how much they contained, over what period of time were the supplements teste, etc.
in order to prevent overdosing, or to help people who cannot find help through the medical field to guide them with the proper supplementation.

Thank you for all of your information and support.

Lynn

February 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(38) Mare says:

To Diane (35) who said “To say that you can’t get T3 from a doc is just rediculous. Most conventional doctors are mean about it. But when you become educated, then you can figure out a way–using diplomacy–to get it from conventional docs.”
Your comment is as naive as it is insulting Diane! You’ve just essentially told hundreds of thousands of sick, desperate people around the world that their inability to obtain the right help for ‘their’ individual bodies from conventional docs is their OWN fault for being, not only uneducated, but also lacking in diplomacy???!!!! Well done Diane for adding insult to injury for so many who are already suffering! (BTW, for someone purportedly so ‘educated’, please use a dictionary or spellcheck – ridiculous has no ‘e’ in it)

February 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm
(39) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

As noted in response 27 above:
The study itself does not mention the names of the brands. It talked about the “top ten” supplements. They probably were skirting any kind of legal issues with the supplement makers.So I did not purposefully leave out the manufacturers — that information was NOT included in the research findings.

February 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm
(40) Gloria says:

Mary states in her reply to our comments that the study didn’t mention the brand names. Mary should have mentioned that in her article to begin with. I’m not sure why she didn’t. I have to wonder why the study didn’t mention the names. Was the study financed by Big Pharma? It’s total bull that the names of the products are not mentioned in the original study!

I think it’s good to inform the public that there could be “real” thyroid hormone in an OTC supplement, because many people may not realize it. It’s important to understand what you’re taking and how it may effect you. If that’s what you’re going for, great. But if not, you may not realize why your thyroid is getting wacky. And for people who cannot afford to see a doctor, these supplements might help them (as long as the amount of hormone in them is somewhat consistent). I just hope that those self-treating people can afford to get the proper tests to monitor their levels, and understand the lab results. There are many resources these days to help people understand this stuff better (sometimes better than the doctors do).

However, the line about discussing OTC supplements with your doctor is a ridiculous statement. Most doctors have NO IDEA about supplements. How long did it take for doctors to finally agree that people should take Vitamin D? And they still don’t totally understand it. Doctors only know DRUGS, they do not know or understand supplements — no matter if they are vitamins or alternative treatments found in health food stores. Only Naturopathic-type doctors seem to understand these things. Discussing it with THAT type of doctor might give you some understanding. But discussing it with an allopathic doctor — you’d be wasting your time.

February 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm
(41) Diane says:

In response to “Mare” 38: Just the opposite. To depend on doctors to tell you what to do will get you nowhere. You have to fight for yourself, whether you want to or not. That’s how you get what you need. There are many ways to fight: diplomacy is one way. Educating yourself is another way. Strategy is another way. If you don’t fight for yourself, who will?

Firing your doctor (i,e. getting another doctor) is another way. And another doc, and another doc, if need be.

For Poor People: If docs say no, than if nothing else, go see a nurse practitioner with their own shingle out front. Say that you would like a TRIAL of T3–for example, as found in Nature-throid–the smallest dose. Be honest with them, saying you want to experiment and that you will return to tell them whether your experimental trial helped you or not. 6 weeks later, report back to them, how your experiment worked. If it helped, do you want to try a higher dose? Then do the same thing all over again with that same nurse practitioner, at a higher dose. Repeat . It may need to be compounded for time-release–you can experiment with that, too.

Many medical professionals would respect this plan to experiment with trials.

The thyroid supplements with thyroid hormone Mary is talking about, I imagine, are expensive and with slick marketing. Surely, the cost of this dead-end route compared to getting the correct thyroid dosage for YOU for what YOU need through a doc or nurse practitioner, would make better sense. Rather than a willy nilly amount that undoubtedly won’t be consistent with every bottle.

Educate yourself. Fight for yourself. Use strategy. Make use of diplomacy. That’s necessary right now in the world, and especially for poor people. That is what must be done. If you don’t fight for yourself, who will?

February 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm
(42) TJ says:

I understand some of the negative comments on this article. While I’m sure the intent was meant to inform. What bothers me most is what is not said. It does not mention the timing of this study happens to come at a time when the FDA is lobbying to take control of all our supplements, not just thyroid support.
It also doesn’t mention the obvious fact that is NOT really helpful to anyone when it doesn’t even mention what kind of “thyroid support” supplements we are talking about. Herbal combinations or those with glandular in them? Is this about the potency of the glandular or is glandular being added without the consumer knowing?
It’s quite ambiguous. I, like others, have one eyebrow raised in skepticism that the FDA is somehow behind this.

February 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(43) Catherine says:

@Yolanda I was not killing the messenger. Just so we are clear here. I simply stated that I wanted to know who was behind the study. Mary has access to some of the best doctors and I believe that she can find out the answers to the questions asked here.

You also misunderstood my comment “every patient has had the experience of not being able to get Armour” and took it out of context because you probably have not been taking Armour long enough to have lived through the shortages of it and the inability to get any from your pharmacies (I have lived through three Armour shortages in the US — one lasted for 9 months — I had to get my thyroid meds from a pharmacy who mixed the ingredients for me — very expensive and was not as effective). During this time it would have been nice to add in these supplements and see if it helped. I never bothered because I always read that there wasn’t enough in the supplements to make a difference.

Here’s an example from 2008 – http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080711043809AActE59

My concern about the publication of this story (not that Mary published it so we are clear here) is that if enough furor is created, the FDA will step in and if these drugs are helping those patients who cannot get thyroid meds because they cannot afford a doctor. I do want to know who funded the study and who the Dr is who wrote the research paper. I do not think there is anything wrong with asking this and investigative journalists look for these kinds of answers, which Mary is typically good at, so I see no reason to withdraw the question.

February 21, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(44) Barb says:

I really wish you would name the brands. This doesn’t help at all. There used to be a supplement on the market called Thyrin ATC. It was wonderful. I felt like a million dollars taking this along with my Synthroid. Well, it was discontinued and I haven’t been able to find a supplement that comes close. I try to explain to my doctor that I suffer from many symptoms of hypothryodism and she just doesn’t get it. I see on your web page you advertise supplements. Anyone take one that works???

February 21, 2012 at 3:22 pm
(45) Emmy says:

I couldn’t find any reference to the names of the 10 supplement but did fnd this:

The study’s senior investigator, Victor Bernet, M.D., an endocrinologist at Mayo Clinic in Florida is also a Director, Board of Directors, American Thyroid Association, 2010-present

“Because physicians have seen a number of abnormal thyroid tests from patients using over-the-counter supplements, Dr. Bernet became interested in this issue when he heard reports of such cases as chairman of the American Thyroid Association’s public health committee. He worked with researchers including endocrinologists at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where he practiced at the time.”

February 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm
(46) Emmy says:

Bernet reported the study findings in a presentation to the annual meeting of the American Thyroid Association, held Oct. 26-30, 2011 in Indian Wells, Calif

February 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(47) suzie says:

this article is alarmist and useless.

February 21, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(48) Diane says:

Barb: Mary doesn’t advertise anything. Those ads show up on her site and she has no say. It’s the same on most every website and blogsite–unless no advertising is allowed. (about.com requires advertising.)

Mary has stated a few times on this blog thread that the study didn’t mention brands.

Moral of the story: Watch out for thyroid-specific supplements, as they may have T4 or T3 or both. That is against the law, other than a nominal amount. T4 and T3 need to be prescribed … and thyroid pharmaceuticals need to make consistent products.

February 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(49) Bill says:

Without stating WHICH of the T3 & T4 was found in significant quantities we aren’t being told enough. It is my impression that it is only illegal (in the US) to sell T4 without a prescription. Therefore you will find significant amounts of T3 in many. My Armour prescription actually costs less (pure cost, no insurance) than My former OTC because the OTC had to “deactivate” the T4. Unfortunately, those of us having cold extremities also need some T4 as the T3 doesn’t have a long enough lifetime to reach the remote extremities. And out there we also have to battle the chlorine/bromine/florine blockage at the sites needing Iodine to process the T4 into T3.

February 21, 2012 at 7:08 pm
(50) meg says:

One thing some of these commenters seem to be forgetting is that there are NO REGULATIONS for OTC supplements. That means that one bottle of a thyroid supplement can have one level of medication, while another batch of the SAME BRAND may have a different level – either higher or lower – or none at all. The consumer has no way of knowing how much, if any, T3 or T4 they are getting.

This is not unique to thryoid supplements. Studies like this have been done on vitamins, Red Yeast Rice (for cholesterol), and many other supplements. One study of Red Yeast Rice done several years ago, showed levels of statin medication higher than prescription doses. Again, in that study, different batches of the same product manufactured by the same company, showed different levels of statins in them.

Mary is simply pointing out that the study was conducted, not passing judgement on those who were involved in the study, nor the people using those supplements. She is just advising people to be aware of what supplements you take, and that they may affect your prescription drugs.

Any intelligent consumer with a health issue should know that supplements can affect their prescriptions – that’s why your doctor asks for a list of all medications and supplements when you have an appointment. Overmedication or undermedication can exacerbate health conditions, and some combinations of OTC and Rx can kill.

So – consumer beware!

Mary – keep up the good work. If it weren’t for people like you, many of us would be less knowledgeable about this disease.

February 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm
(51) Jean says:

I have mixed emotion’s on this. I know Mary is just stating the fact’s however bye writing the article it does draw attention to it and I cant bet dollar’s to donuts if you googled either Mary or thyroid etc this would show up. I am afraid people would read this and think “All “over the counter thyroid med’s are either too strong or not strong enougth.
Especially if you suffer from sever brain fog on SYNTHORID.

I don’t want the Governement breathing down mine telling me what is better for me or what and how i should go about HEALING myself and that include the FDA..

You can order your own test’s to check if something you are taking is working. YOU DO NO NEED A DOCTOR as long as you are willing to pay out-of-pocket. Some Doc’s and lab’s still do not use the corrected ranges as per the AACE which is 3.5.

February 21, 2012 at 8:24 pm
(52) Jean says:

It would have been nice if the above was mentioned in the Article. You can’t assume someone looking for information know’s this.
. If I did not insist on getting the correct test’s done I would still be so letheragic, and brain fogged I would lose the next 9 yr’s of my life. I am grateful that IN AMERICA I can order what test’s I deem fit.

If we are going to write an article on something the blind Public will probably skim over and not realize there is no brand name mentioned I think we sould take some responsibility to Say that..

I agree it is what is missing from the article that is more impt however sometime’s you don’t even know the correct question’s to ask never mind have enough knowledge to know that there is something missing. You could have drew attention to the fact that maybe write”notice we don’t know which brand the study used and many patient’s have found some of these OTC supplements to work…Give both side’s of the story..

IMO with the new’s as well as journal’s or blogs or whatever a resoponsible one gives both side of the story without letting their own bias be known…The pro’s and con’s, The good and bad’s, both side’s. However this is America so If someone does write an unresponsible artile associated with a study, then so be it…

Studies are only as good as the people giving them…and leave all this big Gov’t out of my pocket and life…Before you know it the Gov’t is going to tell us Who is elegible to be treated or Healed…

February 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm
(53) Linda Rivera says:

To #9 Stacey,
Please give the name of the supplements that helped you!
I have tried for years to get help and different doctors say my tests are fine yet the hypothyroidism symptoms continue to get worse and worse. Like so many others, I am desperate.

February 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm
(54) JEAN says:

F.Y.I. Porcine or bovine thyroid hormon’s are safe and effective. The gov’t has approved some to be such. Just because it’s not synthetic doesn’t mean it doesn’t work..

Where do people think the first medicine’s came from? Nature and then people figured out how to make money on it bye bringing it into the lab, changiing it sturctuerally and waahhlaa big money…

February 21, 2012 at 10:54 pm
(55) Stacey says:

First I would like to say that I have found Mary Shomon’s newsletter and site to be extremely informative, objective and helpful in understanding and addressing my Hashimotos/Hypothyroidism. I did feel that the tone of this article slanted towards discouraging people from taking supplements. However, “please don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater”. To answer questions: I live in Minnesota and I was speaking of the U of M Medical Clinics that refused to regonized a TSH of 5.6 as hypothryroidism. It worries me to say the brand name of the supplements I am taking for fear the FDA will descend upon them. However, I was informed that the FDA approved the supplement that contains Porcine Glandular Concentrate as long as the T4 was removed & that was fine with the manufacturers. So since this group gets approval from the FDA, when needed, I suppose that it is allright to mention their name. “Biotics Research”. I actually take 3 different supplements for my particular symptoms: GTA Forte II, Thyrostim, & NuclezIyme-Forte. And ADB5-Plus for my adrenals. I would recommend that you google Dr. Harry Eidenier. He is an old doctor who has been engaged in extensive research of thousands of hypo & hyper thyroid subjects and now recommends treatment with Biotics Research products. However, the mix is different for each person depending on their symptoms and tests and underlying causes. Biotics has a variety of products for thyroid support. They also have GTA products with lower doses of T3 (porcine glandulars). I have a paper written by Eidenier that I would be willing to share but I am not willing to enter my email address here so I do not know how to do that. We are not all alike and we have to take that into consideration and monitor what is happening with our bodies all the time. No one cares as much about your overall health as you do.

February 22, 2012 at 9:32 am
(56) Bonie says:

I also take GTA from “Biotics Research” and have had good results with it. Sometimes you only need a little T3 to make a difference so start slow. I take 1 pill 3 times a day. The GTA forte product has more T3 if you need more. You should always take T3 broken up several times during the day Morning,Noon and Night) and not all at once. You should be able to google the company and buy it online.

February 23, 2012 at 9:37 am
(57) annette says:

well theres a little tell tale sentence in the report that just confirms the hidden agenda this study is based on .It is well known the both in the US and here in the UK that big pharma are out to discredit supplements in general but herbal medicine in particular ( A huge movement here to get rid of OTC herbal remedies and control practitioners within an inch of their life). The sentence warns of the dangers of the use of OTC herbal remedies – but these remedies are made of glandulars – the T3 and T4 are not coming from herbs but animals! – so just another subliminal dig to get people frightened of using herbs

February 23, 2012 at 11:14 am
(58) Tara says:

This message is for Stacey who left a message.(which I hope she gets) I would love to know what the name of the supplements you take are. Ihave been to several different doctors, and all of them don’t really care. I had my thyroid fully removed, and was once a energetic, normal to skinny at times, and now I am slow, tired, and extemely over weight. I simply cannot do more for myself, I exercise every waking hr I can, I eat as healthy as can be, and ever since the thyroid removed, the pounds keep packing on, They tell me how over weight I am, and I cry that it is NOT me. I can no longer get the natural hormone, thyrolar, or amour as the pharma’s stop that from being avail, and it was the only thing that made me feel human. I struggle everyday, and wish, to just feel slightly normal again. I would love to know what you take, it may be just what I need.

February 23, 2012 at 11:25 am
(59) Steve says:

Thank you for the article Mary.

It was objective and very informative.

I noticed that you put the research paper author’s statement of potential danger in quotation marks. Some readers may have mistaken it as your conclusion. Maybe italics or setting the quote apart from the rest of the text could help readers.

My opinion is that, not knowing what is in the pills you are taking is not good. Again there may be benefits to OTC preparations that we don’t know about.

More objective information is better.

February 24, 2012 at 11:12 am
(60) Heidi says:

Well said Meg #49!

February 28, 2012 at 7:00 am
(61) Stacey Peacock says:

Terra, In my comment on item # 54 I did indicate what supplements I am taking. Keep in mind that my condition is different than yours as I have not had my thyroid removed. So which Biotics products you would take and the dosage would be different. I would be willing to communicate with you if you would like. My name is Stacey Peacock. Check me out on Facebook. I live in Minneapolis.

February 28, 2012 at 10:43 am
(62) Erin says:

Thank you Mary, it’s important information clearly worthy of discussion. It’s incredibly useful, even without naming actual brands. Any information we can absorb regarding the choices we have to make is worthy of discussion. Dr’s who see the benefit of thyroid treatment need to know all our medications, prescribed or over the counter, we ingest in order to make decisions that truly help. With or without insurance it’s challenging to get help, absolutely, not to mention frustrating. Becoming aware of current research & learning there are unlisted variances of these otc options, is extremely useful. Clearly a bit more complicated than reading the labels, I for one am grateful to have this information. What I choose to do with it is entirely up to me.

February 28, 2012 at 10:46 am
(63) Elizabeth says:

I tried several different OTC, including “glandulars”, before finding a dr who prescribed NatureThroid to me. The OTC did nothing for me compared to NT so I find this surprising.

February 28, 2012 at 10:53 am
(64) martha says:

I have been taking synthroid and cytomel for 2 months and yet keep gaining weight and still have trouble sleeping and tired a lot. My skin is still very dry and my hair brittle. I want to start taking OTC treaments but not really sure which ones really work.

February 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm
(65) Brighid McCarthy says:

I find it suprising that I cannot locate the name of the 10 supplements in question anywhere on the internet. Not even the Mayo Clinic site which conducted the study. I already take inordinate amounts of Synthroid and Cytomel (brand names on both – quite expensive) and my TSH still hovers around 20. I would like to try one of the stronger supplements in addition to my meds. Has anyone come across the names of these particular supplements. I used all kinds of search criteria to no avail!

February 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm
(66) marianne says:

I would like to know why after fifty years, no changes in treatment have been provided or studies? Why not pituitary full treatment or hypothalamus. Someone is missing the boat with most of the patients. The master glands have not even been studied and when you look at the information on pituitary, studies show that most people have masses on the gland, but no one checks. If they are removed, the problems go back to normal. So, where are the doctors that truly care and go that extra mile to figure it out. I haven’t ever had anyone check mine, have any of you?

March 1, 2012 at 2:12 am
(67) Tracie says:

I truly do not know how people such as myself are suppose to improve their health when we are told by Health Guru’s, such as yourself Mary, to “seek out another opinion and/or change Doctors if you believe you need thyroid medication. I have been a member of your website for 10 years. I for one, have been to several and each Doctor prescribed a different dosage of thyroid medication. I have chosen the “holistic” route for myself after spending thousands of dollars and not feeling as well as I should. I am not taking any prescribed thyroid medication and have chosen to supplement my condition with Thyroid Support over the counter medication. Although I have only been taking the supplement for 10 days, I do not have the ill effects or other issues I have had in the past while taking Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothyroxine or any of the “prescribed meds” and I also know what dosage I am taking daily on a consistent basis. I believe that many of us depend upon your advice and honesty.

March 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm
(68) AJ says:

I am tired. I am tired from Hashimotos disease and from doctors telling me the weight gain, loss of energy, lack of motivation all the other hypothroidism symptions I have are not from the disease. They say I am depressed — yeah, I am depressed because I am not the person I used to be. I used to be active: run, bike weight train, canoe/kayak, etc. Once Hashimotos disease hit, it has be a constant battle to get out of bed to go to work,so certainly none of my previous activites are part of my life now. I just changed doctors again and get the same story, since I am on medication and my levels are normal my problems must be depression. She sayd the depression caused by Hashimotos disease goes away when the thyroid levels are brought back to “normal” with thyroid medication. I know too many people who are following the same track as I am and we all see different doctors and they all say the same thing: it’s not the thyroid – you need to exercise more. At least three of us are people who faithfully exercised and kept ourselves fit. We have not stopped because we have lost the desire – we still have the desire, we just can’t get it done. I truly think there is way more to this disease and by the best ways to treat it individually than is known by the medicaly field; but they will NEVER admit it because they are the experts. It is cookie-cutter treatment and if the symptoms persist, you MUST BE DEPRESSED. I will continue to search for an OTC T3 only supplement. I do not want to add T4 to the synthroid I am already taken – and the best I can say for the synthroid is that I am no longer falling asleep at work – which is a good thing.

March 6, 2012 at 11:53 am
(69) Britt says:

Stacey Peacock, I am trying to find you on Facebook, with no luck. Would you please send me an email with your FB link? I would really appreciate any knowledge/advice/research you can share with me that has assisted you with your treatment. I created a temporary email address just for you : )

bizkzi@hotmail.com

March 16, 2012 at 10:30 am
(70) monarch says:

I was NOT medicaded properly for 9 yrs; I suffered so badly. IF I had found somthing OTC; then I would have self-medicated. I’ve been thru 7 doctors that did NOT know how to treat HYPO symptoms. It took me a long time to realize that I needed to read a lot about this disease so I could tell the STUPID doctors how to treat me and once I learned, I COULD HAVE BEEN MY OWN DOCTOR. I told them that they were NOT going to tell me, “you’re within range”. WE all are within range–that’s why we ALL cannot function becuz doctors don’t know about the OPTIMAL range that we should all be in. I told them WE were not going to use the ranges set by the lab on the lab results. After suffering for 7 yrs, I finally found a doctor that would increase my dose and I began to want to live again. Then I found a doctor that finally put me on Armour–YAYE!!

August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm
(71) Paul says:

Please, this is just another study to get otc supplements out of the hands of individuals and into the control of big pharma. We need to be vigilant against these guys otherwise well never get our lives back. Now that Obamacare is in place its only a matter of time before they take it all away.
Think I’m kidding? Have you seen the prescription for Omega 3. Something so natural and abundant. Why? For the money!

August 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm
(72) Cat says:

This is for Stacey: Thank you so much for being willing to share your information and personal experience with others. I cannot tell you how many times my eyes have been open to new ways of thinking because someone was willing to share what they know with others. I try to do the same — but often get so caught up in trying to resolve my own issues that I forget that I should try to help others when I can. So thank you for reminding me! :-)

August 31, 2012 at 3:09 pm
(73) Deb says:

Who did the study? Who gave the funding? The answer to those two questions should indicate how reliable the results.

September 5, 2012 at 3:42 am
(74) Tanaia says:

Wow.. It has to be SO annoying to have to repeat yourself 200 times. If you aren’t going to read EVERYTHING, you probably shouldn’t say ANYTHING. I don’t know how many times she had to state that the names of supplements weren’t provided.

October 16, 2012 at 9:03 am
(75) Myalgic says:

No the top 10 weren’t mentioned in the research paper and Mary did state that a few times, BUT I think that through her extensive knowledge of this subject she could write up a list that she thinks are the best supplements. Even if it were just 5! Why all the secrecy?

If you have knowledge of a good supplement and I don’t mean just Mary but anyone why now mention it in public? What’s the big deal? Think of all the others that could be helped. Seriously, I don’t get it.

I’m very new to this, I have a high reverse T3, my dr lantern me to take the synthetic T3, yes I’m one of the lucky ones, but I have big problems with it as any time I take my my heart goes into Tachycardia mode and I have a pulse of 130. So I rather would try something bio-identical

October 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm
(76) Kathryn says:

Are you kidding? You want her to do her own independent research of sales, customer reviews, popularity, etc. just to MAYBE give you an idea of HALF the OTC supplements the study MAY have used to come to this conclusion. Even if she did do that kind of research, there’s still no way to ascertain which brands contained which amount without lab testing. Everyone’s body chemistry is different so there’s no guaranteed that a list of best or most popular supplements would mean much of anything and it could potentially open her up to all kinds of lawsuits. It is completely unacceptable, and more than a little entitled, to expect Mary to go that far above and beyond her duties just to compile a list that could cause more harm than good and open her up to legal ramifications. If you want that information, do the research for yourself and use your best judgement to decide if those supplements are right for you.

January 16, 2013 at 11:51 am
(77) lizziewriter says:

Great little article. I have been on synthroid for over 10 years and my doc is only interested in my cholesterol — finally I’m going to see an endocrinologist (and get a new regular doc) but I did pick up some Solaray Thyroid Caps and it was a little scary the burst I got when I took one yesterday (coulda been the espresso I washed it down with).
I think this is an important reminder that supplements aren’t always monitored. It’s great if those who need it can get desiccated hormones OTC — but you want to know what you’re getting! One of the arguments for legalizing pot, for example, is that it would be regulated. No more wondering whether that bag of green was laced with DDT and Ecstasy.
Especially if you lack insurance and are doing all your analysis and treatment planning yourself (OMG, heavy science details), wouldn’t you want to know that the supplements you spend your hard-earned money on contain what you think they do?
Thanks, Mary.

February 1, 2013 at 7:55 pm
(78) Heidi says:

I want to share my story. I have all of the symptoms of low-thyroid and because I lost my insurance the first of this year I opted to try a bovine thyroid supplement I purchased at a reputable chain vitamin/supplement store. The first evening of taking the supplement with my dinner I experienced a mild thyroid “storm”. For those of you unaware of what this is, it caused immediate and severe nausea, weakness, shallow breathing, profuse perspiration, ear ringing, the whole 9 yards. I’m only 42. Scared me enough I nearly called 911 before it passed. This same reaction occurred several years back when I was put on bovine thyroid by my naturopathic physician.

I understand many do benefit from having this option available to them over the counter, but do not negate that there is a small percentage of the population that can actually have a very strong adverse reaction to its use. This may be non-prescription, but please don’t underestimate it’s power on the body.

February 27, 2013 at 6:38 pm
(79) Peter says:

doctors are notoriously conservative when it comes to dosing drugs. i have suffered for years with hypogonadism with total testosterone just barley withing what was considered ‘normal’ range. what my doctor didnt seem to accept was that my testosterone level was normal – for an 80 year old man. not a 35 year old. anyway after years of jumping through hoops and trying useless gel’s and patches, i finally found a doctor who brought my testosterone levels up to the high normal range, giving me 100mg testosterone enanthate each week that i administer myself at home. never felt better. everything in my life has improved, mood, sleep, energy, libido, body composition you name it!

if docs treat people with hypothyroidism the way i was treated for years with my condition its no wonder people are turning to these supplements for help….

March 4, 2013 at 9:54 pm
(80) Dave says:

Many of you posters are nuts. You criticize someone who reports a study that demonstrates that OTC supplements don’t contain what the label claims. Then you are worried that there may be some regulation regarding the content and labeling of these bogus products. Let me know medical problem you would like a supplement to treat and I am sure I can whip you up something from some spare chemicals I have sitting around.

April 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
(81) Jen says:

Honestly, please read some of the other comments before you post. How many times does it have to be said that no brands were mentioned in the study? How in the world can she give you that information? Would you feel better if she just made something up? Get a grip!

I’m in the same boat as many of you. I have every symptom of hypothyroidism, from hair loss to constipation and everything in between except one. Yet my blood test results are well within normal range. My doctor won’t give me thyroid meds either but she explained that my heart could be affected if she gave me thyroid medication when I didn’t need it, among other organs that can be affected.

I’m already afraid to try the OTC thyroid support because I’m not sure if it’ll hurt or help. I believe the article was good. We all need to be careful of how we supplement anything. I commend all of you who were brave enough to try some of the OTC meds, and I’m glad it’s helping. One day I may be at the end of my rope and try them too, but I want to be cautious about it.

One thing my doctor told me that made a lot of sense – in all but a few instances, thyroid issues are generally caused by something else that’s not right in a person’s body, like low Vitamin D, low B12, low magnesium, etc. I’m low in all three and it could be affecting my thyroid. Before she will pursue treatment with thyroid meds, she wants to bring those low levels up and see what happens. It might be a good idea to ask your doctor to do a few of those tests to see if there’s anything contributing to low thyroid function. It could make all the difference in correcting thyroid issues.

May 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm
(82) Tish says:

The “dire” warning about iatrogenic hyperthyroidism from taking these is greatly overblown. The risk is probably quite low. The reason is that taking thyroid at doses less than your daily needs is not additive. It does not add on top of your normal gland production like a vitamin or something. Any small thyroid dose you take is factored in by the pituitary, which then adjusts TSH accordingly to compensate for it. So in other words, if you take 1/4 grain in one of these supplements and don’t need it, your TSH is going to drop by the amount needed to drop production from the gland by 1/4 grain or more. A person might experience hyper symptoms from taking these on the first or second day of taking them, but the pituitary quickly adjusts to such things, usually in a day or two. So, the only way a person could get hyper from taking these at doses less than daily needs (the average thyroid makes between 2-1/2 – 3 grains equivalent of thyroid a day) is if they were already hyperthyroid. It’s amazing to me how ignorant doctors and researchers are regarding this simple logic of how the endocrine system works.

June 20, 2013 at 9:07 pm
(83) Mark Lisi says:

I have suffered low magnesium levels which as i understand is the means by which calcium and vitamin d is produced. This i understand was brought about by alcohol abuse (i no longer drink) the alcohol apparently washes these metals and vitamins out of the body.
I have lost some 3 stones in weight or 42ibs to be now some 9 stones and have stayed that way for some 3 years. Unfortunately force feeding myself only resulted in about 6 pounds in weight after some 3 months of 6 to 8 thousand calories a day and within 2 days this small gain was lost.
Full blood tests have revealed nothing including urine and bowel samples.
All the usual suspects like cancer, diabetes have been ruled out.
A couple of extra points i also have had yellowing of the eyes though this has not resurfaced. Kidney and liver are actually working fine strangely enough. I wonder if i have a hyper thyroid gland? Any ideas? If it helps I am 43 years of age.

July 2, 2013 at 8:55 am
(84) lpi says:

I have had to fight my way back to somewhat normal levels after my hormones were pretty much depleted…. at age 58 I had the hormones of a 96 yr old… yikes… so on to DHEA and when that didn’t work by itself… I was put on an additional drug… Armour thyroid… then we worked with both to get a balance there….. after many yrs. (I’m now 65) My take from this is that your hormones depend on your thyroid and in order to have balance both are needed. It seems that everything depends on a working thyroid! I was told I could never get off the thyroid med…but I think I’m getting better cause my last blood test showed I needed to be cut back on it… so it does work but I have had a slew of blood tests over the yrs and would not be doing if not working with my Dr.

July 2, 2013 at 11:59 am
(85) Anne says:

Could we please have a citation (or a link) for this study so we can access it ourselves? Even if it is not on line it would be important to read. Even an author’s name or journal name and issue would be helpful. Thank you.

July 2, 2013 at 12:03 pm
(86) Jan says:

Thank you Mary. It’s always good to be informed, we’re able to make wiser decisions when information like this is available. For all the naysayers and haters out there, did you know any of this before Mary reported it? Probably not. So stop bashing Mary, she is our greatest supporter and advocate for a healthier life with this crap thyroid hand we’ve all been dealt. Thanks again Mary!

July 5, 2013 at 8:01 am
(87) trevg says:

The problem isn’t Mary- that’s painfully obvious.
The real problem is vested interest latent threats, lack of treatment making people – and medics unable [or unwilling] to sort out their profession ,from the top, mostly.
Highlighting the actual state of play can only do good- eventually.
Where the bottom layer in medicine try [GPs, Naturopaths etc] they come under heavy scrutiny as they may blow the cover off the whole charade.
Blaming M.Shomon for even discussing the issues seems to indicate the depth of cognitive dissonance about on this topic.
Information is power, after all!
A review of thyroid diagnosis and treatment is long over due.
Can we club together for legal action on this?

July 9, 2013 at 9:21 am
(88) Jenn says:

I think the point here is that ‘natural’ supplements and ‘herbal’ treatments are not regulated by the FDA like RX meds. If you are taking these with no medical supervision, or in addition to RX meds, you are in danger of going into hyperthyroidism, which can cause organ damage, atrial fibrillation and a world of other problems.

July 9, 2013 at 9:47 am
(89) Deb says:

The study was done in 2011 by Dr. Bernet, funded by Walter Reed hospital. See http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2011-jax/6514.html

July 9, 2013 at 7:43 pm
(90) lori says:

So Tanani or what ever your name is, why aren’t the products listed? instead its a list of “4 products had this, 3 products had that” The article is not helpful without specific information contained within it. Or maybe you gleened some really useful information out of it that all of us annoying people missed?

September 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm
(91) KD says:

What are these otc’s?? And which ones had the highest amounts of T3? I am in the unique position of being allergic to fillers in practically every Rx ndt. I am struggling to find a thyroid med that works for me, without adverse effects. Please help!

September 28, 2013 at 10:43 pm
(92) summa says:

the abstract can be seen at http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/thy.2011.2110.abs

Tish (82) made a good point, the danger of making yourself seriously hyperthyroid is overblown. People with Hyperthyroidism feel terrible too, in a different way than those with hypo-, but nobody is going to enjoy feeling bad in either direction. It’s likely if you make yourself hyper- that you will feel something and cut back or stop taking that supplement.

The researchers warning of this dire consequence of self treatment with OTC supplements are probably healthy and don’t know how bad you feel if you are either hypo- or hyper-.

They are also most likely funded by big pharma and know what side their bread is buttered on, too.

October 16, 2013 at 11:53 am
(93) Tracy Wilson says:

@lynn #11 exactly what fulvic supplement do you take? mawbell3 at gmail dot com

December 12, 2013 at 4:00 am
(94) Rosanne says:

This study has no validity as study subject supplements are not named, which means it cannot be replicated by peers.

December 17, 2013 at 3:28 am
(95) Charisse Orendorff says:

I definitely think you should provide a list of the brand names, so we can be up to date on which ones to “avoid”!

April 1, 2014 at 1:56 pm
(96) Buffet says:

Hey good lookin’, you neglected to mention the brand names of the good ones, i.e. the ones with the highest T3 and T4 levels!

April 4, 2014 at 8:48 am
(97) FIFA Ultimate Team Coins says:

I really like the FIFA game, but I’m not coins.