1. Health

Mary Shomon

The Ten Things A Thyroid Patient Should Never Do

By January 29, 2012

If you have a thyroid condition, you'll want to do everything you can to take good care of yourself, and do whatever possible to stay healthy, and on top of your condition. It's no surprise that we often hear about all the things that we should do. But I thought it might be helpful to take a look at the ten things a thyroid patient should never do.

Have any thoughts about other things thyroid patients shouldn't do? Feel free to comment on the blog!

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
January 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(1) Michelle says:

Please replace “wee” with “we,” in the first paragraph/introduction. Thanks.

January 29, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(2) Karen says:

Very good suggestions!

I found out from my doctor, who is hypothyroid himself so he keeps up to date on all kinds of things too, that smoking kept my Hashimoto’s symptoms at bay. When I quit smoking, it was like my symptoms were Set Free and after all kinds of blood tests for everything thyroid related, I was diagnosed with full-blown Hashimoto’s.

Up until I quit smoking, I was hypothyroid but I didn’t have the problem with the antibodies attacking my thyroid. Those stupid antibodies were set free when I quit smoking.

Not that I’m sorry I quit smoking!!! I think eventually I’d have been diagnosed anyway and it would have been even harder for me to quit; as if quitting after 35 yrs. wasn’t tough enough!!

January 29, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(3) Janette says:

I took a supplement called Thyroid Complex, which I have taken many times in the past, but this new bottle I took only one pill. After 45min. I started feeling really weird, so I had to have my son take me to the emergency room. I was dizzy too. It was scary. They ran tests on me and took a brain scan. All was alright when the pill wore off in the evening. I use to feel great and full of energy when I took the pills, but something has changed and it did not agree with me at all.

So I have had to stop taking this supplement. I do need the iodine, so I will order the Iodine like I use to off amazon.com. I think I will be alright on it. Maybe a little gensauna, that is gentle form of gensing. I can’ take regular gensing as it makes me too jittery. Be careful what ever you take.

January 31, 2012 at 8:50 am
(4) Wanda says:

I have practically all of the symptoms described and even an enlarged thyroid. My mom has hypothyroidism and still I am told that I don’t have a problem. I don’t know what else to do.

January 31, 2012 at 9:27 am
(5) Jessica Williams says:

Re- ten things a thyroid patient should never do:

If you EVER need a CAT scan, do NOT allow radiology personnel (or anyone else) to inject you with radioactive iodine.

This can kill your thyroid, and you with it. Stand firm and do not bend on this.

They will intimate you and threaten you. They will say the scan won’t be clear. News: it will be. I recently stood against 2 doctors, 3 nurses, and 2 radiologists.

I won, and later on, I received several apologies. “You were right!” they said. I guess they had to look it up on Medscape or PubMed. Amazingly, most nurses, doctors, and radiology techs NEVER seem to read patient histories!

January 31, 2012 at 1:02 pm
(6) mishell says:

I have been reading your page 4 many year’s now. Im now 44 but had thyroid Cancer when I was 27 and, in Australia 17Year’s ago, Thyroid Cancer was a really rare Cancer. However, after 2 operations and Ablation therapy, I was made 2 understand that, I was never allowed 2 put my replacement hormone below 200mcgs, ever, regardless of the fact I’m SUPER HYPOTHYROID, they have 2 keep my brain tricked into thinking I have a thyroid, so the Cancerous bits dont start growing back! There is one issue that dosent get much attention and one I have spent 17Year’s going to Psychiatrist’s, mood stabilizers etc, because NOONE EVER WARNED ME, of the effects of being purposely Hypoactive for ever now? Please, let’s let people know what the Psychological and behaviour problems that do affect a lot of people and affects their relationship’s! Lets get this topic out there, so many of us dont spend years getting help and treatment 4 Psychological problem’s like Bipolar, ADD etc? Many, like myself could have not wasted year’s wondering wggy I have developed serious mental problems!

January 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm
(7) brenda monaco says:

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid in 1996 after many Drs said I was depressed. It was treated, over the years it has been up and down, lost the weight once, lasted for 5 yrs, back problems and then Hoshimotos and gained back weight and more. Recently ordered the energy supplement powder just for thyroid patients, it works, new Endocrinologist looked at it and said that it was not a good idea because it has iodine in it, and I am on prescription thyroid replacement hormone. Question is, how do I try and go completely natural for this? Does anybody know or have a dependable site to read on this subject, just email me, also the new diet pills for Hypothyroid patients mentioned on this site, no good info, does anybody know about this, any help will be appreciated, thank you!

January 31, 2012 at 11:20 pm
(8) brenda monaco says:

Hi again, I just left the comment above about natural treatment for Hypothyroidism and more info on the new diet pills mentioned on this site, my email is scaramouche333@yahoo.com
Thanks

February 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm
(9) Tracey says:

Hi Wanda, re your comment : ( “I have practically all of the symptoms described and even an enlarged thyroid. My mom has hypothyroidism and still I am told that I donít have a problem. I donít know what else to do”.)
I have been reading : Solved the Riddle of Illness by Stephen E Langer & James F Scheer, on page 90 & 91 & 242. You can have symptoms but your Thyroid levels can come back normal. Your thyroid hormone levels T4 and TSH can be normal range but your level thyroid antobodies are sky high.
‘Speak with your Dr, to do blood test know as Antithyroid antobodies.

July 16, 2013 at 3:49 am
(10) Amanda says:

I have an under active thyroid (the 2nd one). I am allergic to iodine but really need medication. Can anyone please give advice on which medication I can use???

July 20, 2013 at 2:47 am
(11) Jane says:

Keep looking for a good endocrinologist. I had to have my thyroid removed and went through eight doctors before I found one to help. Made all of the difference in the world. Don’t let yourself get discouraged with some of these mediocre doctors, there are some really good ones out there.

November 25, 2013 at 8:03 pm
(12) Thyroidhell says:

I didn’t know any better 12 years ago. I allowed them to radiate my thyroid with iodine and I haven’t been the same since. I was under 140 lbs then. I’m now 174. Even though I take 120mg of Armour Thyroid I can’t seem to lose weight. I’m so sick and tired of this. I feel absolutely defeated….

January 10, 2014 at 10:17 am
(13) jeni says:

I didn’t know u had thyroid issues until i was 25 and i looked like i had downs syndrome my aunt took me to her doctor and i was told i had 2 weeks to live bc it was killing me.* not true* obviously. They put me in levothyroxine i was told i was never going to have kids due to my thyroid stopping when i was 10. Im 4 ft. 11 inches tall now after taking my meds for 17 years i used to be only 4ft. 6 i weighed 99 pounds, after having both my kids i weigh 210 and its causing more issues* i was told not to have kids* this sucks. Any help on losing it and keeping it off.

February 15, 2014 at 3:30 pm
(14) Lynda says:

Can I stop taking my thyroid medicine and start on something more natural?

April 14, 2014 at 5:18 am
(15) Peggy says:

A thyroid scan can show a problem when tests a showing normal Ultrasound found My nodules when test said normal but My symptoms werent