1. Health

Mary Shomon

Chiropractors See Thyroid as Marketing Cash Cow: Why Thyroid Patients Should be Very Skeptical

By June 13, 2011

Lately, my inbox has been flooded by all sorts of hyped up emails from chiropractors around the United States. They all seem to be coming from the same script, and ask the same questions, such as "Are you Struggling with Thyroid Problems?" Or "Do You Really Need Medication for Your Thyroid Condition?" Or "Do You Know How to Take Control of Your Thyroid Health?" The emails then go on to say that if thyroid symptoms aren't resolved, Dr. "So-and-So" of the "Podunk" Thyroid Center actually has all the answers for "all aspects of hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's disease."

The emails promise free reports, free e-books, and free "consultations" with Dr. So-and-So. Interestingly, these chiropractic "thyroid centers" are popping up all over the place, and with their aggressive -- and cookie-cutter -- marketing efforts, they seem to be the result of a concerted, coordinated marketing effort by chiropractors targeting thyroid patients.

Skeptical? You should be. Because there's a problem...

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
June 14, 2011 at 10:32 am
(1) Erin says:

Thank you so much for this article. For the record I am a Doctor of Chiropractic and Hashimoto’s patient myself. I have been wondering how these chiropractors can be offering a thyroid program when we cannot prescribe medication. In my own experience I suffered for years being the the wrong medication and Armour (or the compound version when it was not available) was what saved my life. (Of course diet, herbs and vitamins are part of my own regimen) In my own practice I will treat that subset you wrote about, the mild cases, with herbs and vitamins, but usually I will just send them to my wonderful M.D. who is a functional medicine specialist. So thank you for clearing this up, and thank you for your website and blog.

June 14, 2011 at 4:19 pm
(2) Dr. Daniel Boggs says:

I am also a Doctor of Chiropractic and a hypothyroid patient. I am indeed a physician, as per my state code and licensing board. The previous response wondered how chiropractors treat thyroid conditions since we cannot prescribe medication, then went on to state that she send patients to her MD who is a functional medicine specialist. Chiropractors are able to treat via lifestyle, nutrition, and proper nutritional supplementation.

I am a testimony to the effectiveness of the treatment methods that Mrs. Shomon decries. I would suggest Mrs. Shomon read Dr. Datis Kharazzian’s book entitled “Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal”. I will personally send Mrs. Shomon a copy of the book, as I keep dozens of them on hand to give to patients. I will also send one to the misinformed chiropractor who orginally responded to this article.

I do assist patients with thyroid issues according to the methods taught by Dr. Datis Kharazzian. In addition to my Doctor of Chiropractic degree, acupuncture certification and physiotherapy certification, I have over 300 postgraduate hours in functional nutrition.

I don’t intend to sling mud, but I wonder how Mrs. Shomon justifies asserting that a chiropractor, with thousands of hours of training in human anatomy, physiology, nutrition, etc. is not qualified to assist a patient with thyroid disease, but she is consulting with patients and writing books and her degree is in international finance.

June 15, 2011 at 9:00 am
(3) Jujube says:

Because, Dr. Daniel Boggs, when you have hypothyroidism you are missing vital hormones necessary for life that you can’t get from anywhere or anything other than medically synthesized or natural dessicated replacements. If you were a MD and were schooled the way MD’s are, you would know this.

The only way non-MD’s can assist thyroid patients is with adjunct therapies, and while valuable, cannot replace the necessary prescribed medicine.

You cannot presume or claim to be able to completely treat conditions that require medication.

June 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm
(4) Dr. Mark A. Scott says:

Mrs. Shomon I Feel your concern has more to do with the marketing methods employed by chiropractors and this is understandable from your view point, but you must understand that for any non MD to compete in the health care market place they must use a grass roots effort that is affordable to reach the public. You must Understand that non MD’s do not have the billion dollar marketing campaign that the drug companies have and that they do not have the whole medical complex to give credibility to their procedures.

I cannot speak for all chiropractors but I can assure you that the Chiropractors such as myself who practice functional medicine and the work of Dr. Datis Kharazzian are highly trained professionals with post graduate degrees and diplomats in nutritional health care. The medical treatment of thyroid conditions is dominated by drug therapies and other more natural and physiology based approaches are not even considered. Functional medicine is the science of understanding physiology and bring the body back into balance with non drug methods.

The work that these chiropractors is doing is greatly needed by the thyroid population we have been able to help patients who could not previously be help by the traditional model. To discredit them in your article without knowing all the facts is a disservice to your readers to thyroid patients and the health care of this country.

Many Chiropractors are fighting an uphill battle against the current status quo medical system. It is frustrating to know that millions of patients are suffering not even knowing that other more effective answers to their problems exist. And this article contributes to the ignorance and continued suffering of these patients.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mark A. Scott

June 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm
(5) Dr. Mark A. Scott says:

I understand the concern with some marketing but again we must look at the big picture and understand why it might be that Doctors would be forced to use those ads to get their message out to the public.

I hope that you will do some more research into this matter and update your article in the future.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mark A. Scott

June 14, 2011 at 6:14 pm
(6) Dr. Blake Crofts says:

interesting that you seem to bash all these chiropractors with their marketing methods when all they are doing is filling a need that the medical profession has failed in. If the “mainstream” medical profession has been doing such a good job then why are so many people still suffering from these thyroid problems. Medication is needed in some cases. I will never dispute that fact but throwing medication at everything without looking at the cause is crazy! The reason why these chiropractors are treating these thyroid patients successfully (yes i said successfully) is because they are looking at the main cause of the problem. Running one TSH blood test just doesnt cut it. i hope you look at all the facts before you run a piece like this again. You could be scaring someone off that probably won’t be able to get help anywhere else. Yes and please read the book Dr. Boggs reccomended because it changed my life.

June 14, 2011 at 9:28 pm
(7) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Thank you Erin, for sharing your perspective as a chiropractic practitioner.

Drs. Boggs and Scott (just to clarify, I am not Mrs. Shomon. I am Ms. Shomon, or preferably, simply Mary).

Dr. Boggs, the fact is, that for people who do not have a thyroid gland, who have had their thyroid surgically removed, who have had their thyroid radioactively ablated, and whose thyroid is non-functional due to ongoing damage to the gland from autoimmune Hashimoto’s disease, there is no over-the-counter nutritional supplement or lifestyle change that is going to replace the body’s essential requirement for thyroid hormone.

I don’t see chiropractors suggesting that Type 1 Diabetics, who, like most thyroid patients, are also missing a fundamental hormone (in this case insulin) that is necessary for suvival to survive, rely on nutritional supplementation or lifestyle changes as a treatment.

As far as assisting patients, since you chose to sling mud, let’s be clear. For the record, I am a patient advocate — which is a role that is easily understood and appreciated by practitioners who are not threatened by informed, empowered patients.

Unlike the practitioners in question, I am not promising to “cure” thyroid patients. I am not a practitioner, and I don’t represent myself as one. I do not treat anyone, or promise treatment. Rather, I help educate patients and inform them of resources and options available, along with the pitfalls of being a thyroid patient.

And at present, the idea of costly nutritional programs being touted as thyroid “cures” by chiropractors who have bought an off-the-shelf practice management program, including a website, ebook, and “thyroid program” — is certainly something that thyroid patients need to know about.

June 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm
(8) Dr. Daniel Boggs says:

Mary,

You are grossly misinformed as to how many of us are addressing these thyroid conditions. We are not simply giving supplements or herbs for thyroid conditions. I am well aware of the implications of thyroid ablations and removals, and I think you’d be hard pressed to find a chiropractor who is offering treatment specifically for such cases.

You are mistakenly of the belief that what most of us are practicing is a “this for that” approach, or what I call “green medicine”. .. Essentially giving a generalized supplement for a certain condition. This is NOT what functional nutrition is about at all.

When patient’s come to my office, they undergo an very extensive lab workup (which accounts for the lion’s share of the outrageous expense that you are criticizing….which goes to outside labs, NOT me or my office). Many thyroid patients are suffering with other conditions, such as autoimmune problems that are causing their underlying symptoms.

And for the record, since your brought up diabetes, I assist patients with diabetes as well, with marvelous results.

I don’t know what practice management system you are talking about, but there are plenty of us out there that are actually highly trained and knowledgable and are making huge impacts in the lives of patients.

There are unscrupulous chiropractors out there, just as there are members of any profession. But, there are also those of us out there that take a responsible approach to helping patients, and also work hand in hand with their family practitioner.

Your generalization of chiropractic physicians who help patients with thyroid issues is quite misinformed and unfair.

June 14, 2011 at 10:21 pm
(9) Dr. Daniel Boggs says:

While on this topic, you mentioned several times in your responses that chiropractors are inevitably going to tell patients to stop taking their medication. I have NEVER told a patient to stop taking their prescription medication. I network with literally hundreds of doctors who practice functional nutrition, and I don’t know one who does that.

I understand your criticism of some of the heavy marketing, and some doctor’s who may take advantage of a desperate patient. However, the majority of us aren’t doing that. We truly are helping people. Marketing is an ugly necessity at times. However, I can tell you that I frequently don’t accept patients who respond to my marketing b/c I don’t think they are a good candidate for recovery. Any responsible doctor will do that.

Another area where you are mistaken is that we are trying to “Fix” a damaged thyroid. In many cases, the goal is to support the patient’s condition and symptoms so that they can enjoy life. I have had patients, for instance, that are autoimmune hypothyroid. I tell patients up front that there is no “cure” for this…but the goal is to essentially help them feel better. And I have patients who have 30/30 bad days a month go to having as little as 1 or 2 bad days a month. That doesn’t mean their thyroid problem is cured, but their body is functioning better and they are better able to live with their condition.

June 14, 2011 at 9:30 pm
(10) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Dr. Scott, I greatly appreciate and advocate for the role of nutrition, lifestyle and functional medicine in thyroid treatment. More than a decade ago, my book Living Well With Hypothyroidism discussed the role of nutrition, supplementation, herbs, vitamins, minerals, lifestyle issues, adrenal support, immune modulation, and other issues. I have also been an outspoken critic of conventional medicine’s approach to thyroid diagnosis and treatment, and typically recommend integrative/functional/complementary and holistic physicians for most thyroid diagnosis and treatment.

But just as I’ve fought against the tendency by endocrinologists to apply cookie cutter ideas and approaches to thyroid patients — i.e., relying on TSH tests, “normal ranges,” and Synthroid, etc. — I’m equally disturbed by the idea that chiropractors have adopted a cookie-cutter approach to thyroid patients that excludes the whole idea of thyroid hormone replacement treatment. And it excludes prescription thyroid medication not because it doesn’t work for some patients, or because there isn’t a place for it, but simply because you are not able to prescribe it.

And yes, the marketing approach IS disturbing. The promises of drug-free treatment, and quick weight loss, among others, that are featured in the cookie-cutter web templates, ebooks, and email pitches are disingenuous and insulting to thyroid patients. The whole website/ebook/presentation process feels more like multilevel marketing than medical care.

June 14, 2011 at 9:31 pm
(11) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Dr. Crofts — no one is suggesting that mainstream medicine has been doing a good job. But integrative physicians, who have access to nutritional, lifestyle AND medications, are doing a good job. There are not enough of these physicians to help all the thyroid patients out there who need assistance, and that is a frustration. But to suggest that thyroid patients are well-served by a “thyroid program” that eliminates thyroid medication from the mix — well, that seems rather self-serving.

If any of you read my books, you would know that I am NOT a proponent of the mainstream thyroid approach. I have always recommended whatever works BEST for the patients. I have been railing AGAINST the TSH worship for almost 15 years as a patient advocate, educating patients about antibodies, Hashimoto’s disease, Free T4, Free T3, iodine status, Vitamin D, use of natural thyroid, T3 supplementation, selenium, B vitamins, etc.

And what works best for most thyroid patients is an integrative thyroid approach — where patients are able to have access to the best of all worlds — nutrition, supplements, lifestyle, mind-body, AND prescription medications as needed — to best meet restore their health and meet their needs.

Again — if a patient does not have a thyroid gland, has had the thyroid surgically removed, has had the thyroid radioactively ablated, or has a non-functional thyroid due to ongoing damage to the gland from autoimmune Hashimoto’s disease, they need prescription thyroid hormone to survive.

I have heard from dozens of patients who have participated in chiropractor “thyroid programs,” and I have heard stories of thousands of dollars spent, lots of promises, and few results. Some of the patients reported being told to stop taking their thyroid medications, and despite following programs to the letter, became profoundly hypothyroid without their medication, and had TSH levels that went above 100.

June 14, 2011 at 9:33 pm
(12) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Ultimately, as a patient advocate, I am obligated to make sure that patients realize what they may be getting into, and to understand that if they choose a pre-packaged chiropractor “thyroid program” like this, they are going down a path that will deliberately exclude thyroid medication from their treatment plan.

And that’s something that patients deserve to know, and need to know.

June 15, 2011 at 11:31 am
(13) Dr. Robert McCarthy says:

Ms. Shomon,
I’m not sure exactly which Chiropractors you are talking about. I for one have never told a patient to stop taking their thyroid meds. However, you seem to be talking about Chiropractic as if we were all the same. If I wrote a post stating that those crazy thyroid patient advocates were unscrupulous, wouldn’t that offend you? If you have specific Doctors that you have an issue with, name names. But please, don’t use the term Chiropractors as a blanket statement.
In Health,
Dr. Robert McCarthy

June 15, 2011 at 11:53 am
(14) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Robert,

If you read the article, you’ll note that I have mentioned that there are particular “networks” of chirorpractors who have apparently purchased practice management marketing packages that include websites, email pitches, etc. that they are minimally customizing and posting on the web, sending out, etc.

I have also listed some guidelines and considerations for thyroid patients who might want to participate in one of these “thyroid programs.”

There are many wonderful chiropractors who provide complementary treatments, nutritional advice, pain relief, etc. for thyroid patients, as part of their regular program of care.

That is quite different than the standardized off-the-shelf marketing package, charging patients several thousand dollars, and that is frequently confusing, and sometimes misleading, thyroid patients into believing that they will be able to stop taking medication, and quickly resolve their thyroid conditions.

June 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm
(15) Dr. Eric Widhelm says:

Mary I truly appreciate the fact that you are helping people take their health into their “own” hands. It is obvious that today’s standard of care is not working very well for people. This does not go to say that medications are not necessary and needed for certain patient populations. Due to the complexity of people’s health status the medications are not able to work as well as they had in the past. Something that used to be as simple as “hypothyroidism” that was easily treated with hormone replacement just does not cut it in today’s patient population. We are dealing with a very complex system, that being the human body and its dysfunctional physiology. When there is a disruption in that physiology as suggested with thyroid disorders and it happens to go beyond primary hypothyroidism the medications in of themselves usually will not do the trick. As you know the conversion of T4 to T3 requires several biochemical processes that take place in many different tissues of the body. If any of these places that conversion takes place are not working properly you will not convert the bodies required amount of T4 to T3. T3 being the active form of thyroid hormone is very much needed and this is were functional medicine really does it’s “magic.” I would never go on a tangent saying that hormone replacement should not be used. It is a common understanding that many of these patients seeking help from the doctors who have written before me are not being advised to quit taking their prescribed hormones. However, it is not uncommon that many of these patients are able to potentially lower their dosage because the rest of their physiology is functioning more closely to “normal” after seeking this type of treatment. Personally I think there is a huge misunderstanding and disconnect of what these doctors are attempting to do.

June 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm
(16) Dr. Eric Widhelm says:

I have a feeling that you and myself have studied a lot of the same material and understand this concept. I would also assume from the sounds of what these other doctors are saying they value the same opinion. Whether you agree with these marketing tactics or not the main point is that we are all helping people regain their lives and live better years than what they would have before finding any of us. Your opinion should valued and taken to heart since you are the thyroid advocate and if the message given by these websites is any way unclear it should serve as constructive criticism to improve what everyone does in accessing the people that need our help.

June 14, 2011 at 11:05 pm
(17) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Thanks Dr. Widhelm. Believe me, I understand that the system is broken, patients deserve better, and running TSH tests and throwing levothyroxine at every thyroid patient is not an effective way of dealing with Hashimoto’s or hypothyroidism. I’ve been saying it for 15 years, and taking quite a bit of heat from endocrinologists as a result.

But I have a serious problem with the idea that someone has decided that thyroid patients are a “ripe for the picking” “target market” and that we are such a lucrative market in fact that chiropractors don’t even need to bother going to the trouble of creating their own website. Just buy the “thyroid program” package, throw up the template, misspellings and all, stick your name and photo in the slot provided, here are all the marketing emails to send out, stick your name in where it says YOUR NAME HERE, and you’re ready to tap into the lucrative market of miserable thyroid patients. Invite them to a free “thyroid program” consultation, which is actually a sales pitch, where you promise them they’ll feel great, lose weight, and get rid of all their troublesome thyroid symptoms, if they sign up for your “thyroid program,” and then get them to sign up for a couple thousand dollar program that includes lab tests, supplements, and visits that shouldn’t cost several thousand dollars.

Truly. It seems rather cynical and about as far from being healing-focused and patient-oriented as can be to me.

If I were a chiropractor, frankly, I would be appalled that some of my fellow chiropractors had gone this route. Because I know that there are many serious, professional, and committed chiropractors who would never in a million years slap up a pre-written “thyroid center” website and expect to be taken seriously.

June 15, 2011 at 2:17 am
(18) Craig Ross, DC says:

I don’t treat patients for thyroid conditions yet. However, judging these doctors based on having a canned website is not a fair assumption. Most doctors don’t have the capability to build a website — having a bad (and I am not saying the sites are bad) does not equate to bad care. In your article you say that chiropractors are good for neck pain and back pain — but you do allow for Dr. Lowe to have a good protocol for thyroid — balancing a patients nervous system, metabolic system, circulatory system, endocrine system is within the scope of almost every chiropractic state board in the country. I am curious, what board do you have to answer to when you dispense advise? How much are your malpractice premiums? What license do you have on your wall? I am not saying you are not knowledgeable… but the most accurate and import lab work IS expensive and necessary — If these women pay a nickel and get no results they have paid too much — If they pay $10,000 and get the rest of their life back it’s a bargain.

June 15, 2011 at 5:44 am
(19) Michael L. Johnson, D.C., D.A.C.N.B says:

Over the past 5 years, I have consulted with over 1500 chiropractors. One of the conditions that I teach them how to successfully manage is thyroid conditions. Our group follows Dr. Datis Kharrazian’s protocols to the letter. For those that do not know of Dr. Kharrazian, he is the author of the book “Why Do I Still Have My Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal.”

I will say from the start that I too suffer from a thyroid condition. My TSH was tested last week (along with all of my other blood work) and it was 1.06. You could say that’s “normal” but if you read Dr. Kharrazian’s book, you will find out that the “optimal” or “functional” range for TSH is 1.8 to 3.0. I have an autoimmune thyroid or Hashimoto’s disease (my TPO antibodies were sky high at one time) so I know what it is like to suffer with thyroid symptoms (along with other serious health conditions). As a direct result of following Dr. K’s protocols (to the LETTER), I am MUCH better. THAT is why I teach other chiropractors how to successfully manage thyroid conditions and why I formed The National Thyroid Institute.

I will say that my health was horrible and my life was a “living hell” until I met Dr. K years ago and began following his protocols. I also teach and follow the neurological protocols of Dr. Fredrick Carrick.

I would like to address Mary Shomon’s article point by point:

(I will post the rest on another post as I am limited with the number of characters)

Dr. Michael L. Johnson
Board Certified Chiropractic Neurologist

June 15, 2011 at 5:47 am
(20) Michael L. Johnson, D.C., D.A.C.N.B says:

I would like to address Mary Shomon’s article point by point:

#1: Mary contends that chiropractors are “treating” thyroid conditions and they promise a “cure.”

A: In my case, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, there is no “cure.” Hashimoto’s is an autoimmune disease and there is no “cure” for autoimmune disorders. As a doctor, we have help the immune system heal by removing antigens or “triggers” such as certain foods (www.cyrexlabs.com) or other antigens like parasites, fungi, mold, bacteria, viruses, or heavy metals. I suffered with 3 of the above (food triggers, parasites and heavy metals). According to Dr. K’s book, an autoimmune thyroid is the cause of hypothyroid in 90% of the cases so there is no “cure” and anyone offering a “cure” should be avoided.

#2: Mary contends that chiropractors are not medical doctors and as such, they cannot prescribe medications.

A: This is true BUT I NEVER tell any of my patients to stop taking their medications and/or to stop seeing their M.D. I contend that IF M.D.s were doing a great job “successfully treating” thyroid conditions, there would be no need for “thyroid patient advocates” or chiropractors like myself and the doctors in my group successfully managing thyroid cases. I tell ALL of the doctors in my group that they should work with the patient’s M.D.

#3: Cookie-cutter websites:

A: All of the doctors in the National Thyroid Institute have the same website, it is our standard template and it is approved my the Institute. Our goal is to provide the highest quality in patient education. You can see a video of me explaining our protocols (Dr. K’s protocols) in detail. I am cutting a new video today and posting it on the site tomorrow in response to this article.

(I will post the rest of my response in another post as I am limited in the number of characters)

Dr. Michael L. Johnson

June 15, 2011 at 5:48 am
(21) Michael L. Johnson, D.C., D.A.C.N.B says:

#4: “Thousands” for thyroid programs:

A: The reality is that thorough testing is NOT cheap, it can be expensive. The problem is that M.D.s DO NOT do thorough testing to get to the “cause” of the patient’s thyroid condition. Since I suffer with Hashimoto’s, I KNOW this first hand. My bloodwork last week alone was over $1000 plus I have had all of the other testing done that I have have outlined in my video. Cyrex testing for gluten sensitivity, intestinal permeability or leaky gut and cross-reactive foods is $860.00. These tests and others need to be done if the chronic thyroid patient wants to get better. Is it the chiropractors fault that these tests are expensive??? Is it the chiropractors fault that the patient may not have insurance to cover these tests??? The answer is obviously no! I have many patients that pay me out of pocket for the testings and my services and I get them better!! The same holds true for the other doctors in my group!

(I will post the remainder of my response in another post as I am limited in the number of characters)

Dr. Michael L. Johnson
Board Certified Chiropractic Neurologist

June 15, 2011 at 9:04 am
(22) Michael L. Johnson, D.C., D.A.C.N.B says:

I see from your twitter account that you feel chiropractors responding to your hit piece article is some kind of a joke.
This is what a thyroid advocate does, jokes about thyroid patients receiving proper care from qualified practitioners?

You recommend Dr. Mark Hyman who charges $1250.00 for a consult, over $5000 for labs and he basically manages the thyroid patient the same way that we do in our group only we ALSO utilize neurological protocols.

Dr. Michael L. Johnson

June 15, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(23) Cindi Straughn says:

Dr. Daniel Boggs writes: If someone has spent 30 years destroying their health, itís going to take time and a financial investment to restore what they lost.

That sentence told me all I need to know. It’s the old “blame the patient” mentality. Dr. Boggs, I told physicians for two decades plus I thought I had a thyroid problem. But the almighty TSH said “no”. But guess what? I was eventually proven right. And now you want to blame me? Physicians destroyed my health, not me! What kind of practitioner are you to be blaming the patient in this manner?

As for a “financial investment” being needed to restore my health, think again. Desiccated thyroid hormone, and enough of it, eliminated DOZENS of symptoms that I’d suffered with for those two decades plus – and did it within six months. And btw, desiccated thyroid hormone is Cheap!

Do I think chiropractors have a place in taking care of our bodies? I sure do. My husband’s back injury was very satisfactorily improved and is currently managed by a chiropractor. But my poor atrophied Hashimoto’s thyroid gland – seriously, what are you going to do for that?

Do I think a chiro could enhance my quality of life and help restore what the physicians (not ME!) stole from me? Sure, if I was inclined to spend thousands of dollars to do that. Or I could just read Mary Shomon’s articles and books and inform myself a lot cheaper. She provides a wealth of information on nutrition/lifestyle/etc. to help thyroid patients. The wealth of free information – and patient empowerment – she’s provided to thyroid patients over the years is a godsend.

June 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm
(24) Cindi Straughn says:

And Dr. Michael Johnson writes: What were your healthcare qualifications again? You wrote a book and graduated with a degree in international finance?

Doc, my degree is in Business Administration – and I’ll put my thyroid knowledge up against every single physician/specialist I’ve ever seen in the last 3 decades. In fact I know for a fact that I am far more knowledgeable about thyroid disease than any of them.

How did that happen? It happened because I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours of study and research and talking to thyroid patients (via thyroid forums/FB) that those physicians did not do. I learned because of necessity (the docs only apparently were taught TSH) because my life depended on it. I learned because it became a passion to help other thyroid patients.

I would imagine Mary Shomon might express some of these same sentiments, with the addition of being so passionate about the subject she made it her career. A successful career I might add, because she continues to invest her time and resources to helping thyroid patients in a far better manner than the vast majority of practitioners. Perhaps you should take a cue from her and stop being so condescending. We thyroid patients have had more than our fair share of that from doctors like you.

June 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm
(25) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Thanks Cindi, for sharing your thoughts. You have been a tireless advocate yourself for thyroid patients, and like me, you thankfully don’t mince words when it comes to your own health, and your right to be an empowered patient.

The sad thing is, in this article, I am not suggesting that chiropractors can’t be of help to some patients. I am, however, suggesting that patients ask questions, be informed, know what they can — and can’t — expect to get from chiropractors, and be aware that there may be significant costs involved. The critics have missed this entirely.

In today’s changing health care environment, as thyroid patients have had to learn the hard way, no one is looking out for us but ourselves, and so information, knowledge, and advocacy are our greatest power and strength. I’m always surprised when practitioners from any discipline — whether it’s endocrinologists, or internists, or holistic physicians, or here, chiropractors — seem to suggest that there is something wrong with patients doing due diligence, having full disclosure up front of what they’re getting into, and being true PARTNERS in our health care.

June 15, 2011 at 11:48 pm
(26) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

The page in question was just taken down for some reason. You can still read the page, and see the marketing approach outlined in detail, as well as participating chiropractors discussing how they are getting people to put $10,000 fees on their credit cards to sign up for programs, and the chiropractors discuss how they are taking in $100k a month, and buying their wives Porsches, and so on — by “shooting fish in a barrel”. It’s all cached on Google at: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3gigibUHO7YJ:www.txchronicpain.com/free-report+http://www.txchronicpain.com/free-report&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com