1. Health

Mary Shomon

Research Shows Taking Thyroid Medication at Bedtime May Help Hypothyroid Patients

By January 5, 2011

Doctors usually instruct thyroid patients to take thyroid hormone replacement medication like levothyroxine first thing in the morning, an hour before eating and before drinking coffee, and at least three to four hours before taking any calcium or iron supplements. But now, research is showing that taking levothyroxine at bedtime may be the key to lower TSH, higher T4 and T3 levels, and improved absorption of thyroid medication. Find out about this new 2010 study, which is the larger followup to the study I reported on back in 2007.

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
January 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm
(1) Frustrated Synthroid user says:

Since 2007 this is the only way I’ve ever taken my meds. From the start, my doctor recommended me taking my dose of Synthroid before bed. It’s the only way I’ve ever known, but I still want to rid myself of the side effects from this med. For 2011 I am pursuing taking Armour, etc. with my PCP (have an apt. next week) because above mentioned doctor (Endocrinologist) will not prescribe it for me. If I run into a wall at my PCP apt. I will have to suck it up and pay out of pocket for a naturopath. I am so confused as to why…if we live in a free market society…can’t we “choose” a more natural way to heal ourselves but are instead forced to pick an “in network” conventional kind of doctor? Why can’t naturopaths be in network? Everything else has been deregulated…why can’t our healthcare system follow suit?

January 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm
(2) Terry says:

I also struggled with m doc to “allow” me to choose Armour. In the end I called a compounding pharmacy and asked what doctors prescribed armour through them. : ) ta da! I changed doctors and was able to start on Armour with happy results. Give it a try!

January 7, 2011 at 7:35 am
(3) AnTonia says:

I’ve been on synthroid for almost 20 years and switched doctors several times. I’ve came to the conclusion that no matter what dose of synthroid I was on my thyroid labs came out normal as long as I was on some type of dose of synthroid. I was taken off the medicine then put back on because of the lab results. I feel the medicine is not a complete cure , you will always have symptoms no matter if it’s side effects of the medicine or your thyroid.

If your looking for synthroid to cure you well it will keep your alive with symptons.

This is my experience with different doctors and the synthroid.

February 21, 2012 at 9:00 am
(4) dolores del says:

I HAVE BEEN TAKING SYNTHROID SINCE THEY KNOCKED IT OUT WITH TO MUCH RADIATION, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BEFORE, I HAVE BEEN ON SINCE 1995 WITH HIGHER AND LOWER DOSES. IWAS STARTED WITH88 MG WAS DOING FINE FINALY LOST SOME WEIGHT ,THEN WENT TO THIS DR WHO DROPPED ME DOWN TO 50 I COULDN’T EVEN GET OUT OF BED . SO I WENT TO A SPECIALIST WHO GOT ME BACK ON TRACK, I’M STILL ON 100 BUT NO MATTER WHAT I DO EXERCISE EAT RIGHT HEALTHY CANT LOSE A POUND, I HEARD DR OZ ON TV ABOUT RASPBERRY KETONES , I CHECKED IT OUT IT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT INTERFERING . I WILL SAY I FEEL BETTER I OST A POUND , ITS ONLY BEEN 5 DAYS AND I ONLY TAKE 1 ABOUT 11:00 OCLOCK. I TAKE MY SYNTHROID ABOUT 3 HOURS BEFORE, SO IF THERE IS ANY WAY I CAN GET OFF OF SYNTHROID I WOULD LOVE IT, I TAKE NOTHING ELSE , ONLY VITAMIN C WHEN I GET A COLD

May 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm
(5) Dar says:

I’ve been a hypothyroid patients after having the surgery since I been in my teens. I can’t take synthetic replacements. I have to take a natural replacement such as Armour Thyroid meds. They work a lot better for me without any side effects like the synthetic replacements do.
My question is though after all these years in taking my medication (Armour Thyroid) in the morning and waiting an hour before eatting breakfast,is it safe to start taking my med at night just before bedtime because of now needing to wake up at 3:30am to be at work a t 5:00am. I want to make sure my Armour is helping me in the right way and not messing up my levels/thyroid.Please help! Thank you!

March 23, 2014 at 10:20 am
(6) helen says:

I changed taking 50mg thyroxine from morning to night and I definitely do better that way. My own theory is, if you are a morning person and get tired in the evenings, then taking thyroxine at night is better. if you are tired in the mornings and gradually have more energy and are more of a night person, then morning doses will possibly be better for you. If in doubt just move it and see what happens. That’s what I did and I stopped gaining weight and got my energy back!