1. Health

Mary Shomon

New Natural Thyroid Drug from Acella on the Market: Pharmacies Substituting It for Armour Thyroid

By December 13, 2010

If you are getting a prescription filled for Armour Thyroid, be on the alert that a new generic natural desiccated thyroid drug has apparently hit the market. Some pharmacies are filling prescriptions for Armour Thyroid with this new generic natural thyroid drug, which is made by Acella Pharmaceuticals. The company, which is based in Alpharetta, Georgia, has a customer care toll-free hotline at 800-541-4802. Their website www.AcellaPharma.com does not have any information about their specific products.

I've got a call into Acella (which used to be called Brookstone Pharmaceuticals) to get more information about the Acella manufactured natural thyroid drug, and find out what fillers, ingredients, and such are being used.

In the meantime. however, thyroid patients taking natural desiccated thyroid have been through enough with the Armour Thyroid reformulations and natural thyroid shortages, and the last thing many of you need is a pharmacy substituting yet another medication for your Armour Thyroid. So when you are getting a refill of Armour Thyroid, if you do not want to get the generic Acella product, be sure to have your doctor specify "No substitutions/DAW (Dispense as Written)" on your prescription. And if you're picking up an Armour prescription, you may want to double check your pills before you even leave the pharmacy.

Twitter: Follow Mary / Thyroid News | Thyroid Support on Facebook | About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
December 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm
(1) pat mooneyhan says:

Mary, Please find out for us what is in the new med. I can not take the new Armour and am currently getting a compounded. It is expensive and I need to find another to take. I have tried all the synthetic and natural. This has given me hope….Thanks

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 am
(2) Vicki K says:

Saw your Comment on Mary Shomon’s article regarding Acella being substituted for new Armour.

I cannot take New Armour or Naturethroid because I am allergic to cellulose.

I want to try Acella but am concerned because even tho it does not have cellulose, it has two sugars (dextrose and maltodextrin) and I have candida yeast overgrowth I am trying to get rid of. The sugars scare me, afraid it will keep feeding the yeast and I will never get rid of it, because thyroid med is for life.

Are you taking Acella now and how do you like it?? My compounded sent me obviously manufactured dark purple capsules the last two times and charged me $75, my DH nearly had a heart attack — we are living on a very very small pension, and they were 60, not 65 like the compounded = 1 grain.

Is Acella 60 or 65 mg = 1 grain? Any info appreciated!

Hypo/Hashi sufferer, Vicki K

August 30, 2011 at 8:52 pm
(3) Vonda says:

Vicki K,

I dout the amount of sugars you would get in a thyroid pill would make that much difference. So many things feed candida. It’s impossible to stay away from all of them.

Another alternative is the Canadian Thyroid, but it probably has cellulose in it too. I tried a formulated kind once, but I didn’t have much luck with it. The old Armour worked best for me. I’m about to try the Acella generic, which some have reported having good results with. Good luck to you. It’s impossible to feel well without the thyroid being in balance.

December 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm
(4) Kathy says:

Thank you, Mary!

December 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm
(5) Sarah says:

Great….. I will be seeing a new doctor on Thursday and his drug of choice is Armour. We’ll see what the pharmacy actually doses! Fingers crossed…

December 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm
(6) Janette says:

Walgreens told me about the new generic one which is a lot cheaper than Armour. I told them I wanted the Armour as I did not want to play with my health. I am wondering how good the generic one is. If I have to pay for the Armour this month, I may try that generic one and tell people the results of it. The Canadian one from Erfa works like the old Armour. This new batch I got, I still don’t feel well. I should go back to Canada and pay more, but it was worth it.

February 17, 2011 at 10:22 am
(7) Vicki K says:

Hi, Have you tried the Acella yet? I am anxious to hear how it goes!

I can’t take cellulose (Armour, Naturethroid) and my compounders are sending me something they order (dark purple capsules, not messy and white like they used to, which was 65 mg=1grain. The purple things are 60= so I know they are different!!

Please answer on the Acella. Thanks so much!

Vicki K

December 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm
(8) MaryH says:

This product may be a dessicated thyroid, but it is not a “generic for Armour.” Something is a “generic for” another FDA-approved product after FDA has said that they are bioequivalent. Because Armour is grandfathered in and not technically FDA approved, there can not be any generics for it. That makes it illegal (in my mind, at least) for pharmacists to substitute anything for Armour. JMHO.

December 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm
(9) Geri says:

Hi MaryH,

Unfortunately, Armour isn’t grandfathered as many assumed for years. According to the FDA’s guidelines on their “Unapproved Drugs Initiative”,

“Many older drugs without FDA
approval claim to be grandfathered;
however, FDA believes that very few
drugs are on the market that are actually
entitled to grandfather status because
the drugs currently on the market likely
differ from the previous versions in some
respect, such as formulation, dosage or
strength, dosage form, route of administration,
indications, labeling, or intended
patient population.”

~ http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/EnforcementActivitiesbyFDA/SelectedEnforcementActionsonUnapprovedDrugs/ucm119899.pdf

December 18, 2010 at 7:16 pm
(10) lmoose says:

To All:

I talked with a pharmacist today. She said Acellas dessicated thyroid was not a ‘generic’ at all.

Its listed under Cardinal Pharma distribution as NP Thyroid – that is the name of it, by Acella.

A product is not nessesarily a generic when pharmacists ‘substitute’. They did this with Armour and Nature Thyroid a lot around here, regardless of what the script said.

Lets be positive people, it might be good stuff.

I was on a generic dessicated in 09 made by Time Caps but sold simply as ‘Thyroid’ – a true generic, till it was discontinued (FDA forced costly changes in ’09, I called Time Caps myself). It worked great! The new Armour and Nature Throid do not work for me. Erfa is gold. Maybe Acella will be good too!

Who ever thought we would legally see a new dessicated product in the US – this alone is great news. Think about it.

December 22, 2010 at 10:38 am
(11) jim martin says:

Since Armour (Forrest Labs) has been anything BUT trustworthy and forthcoming about facts I personally welcome someone to come in to fill their void, especially if IT works and is closer to the old Armour formula!! For me the past couple of years have been about LACK of choice. The issue of pharmicies substituting Acelle for Armour is a local issue..I’d love to see a poll asking how many patients are happy with Armour today as compared to 3-4 maybe 10 years ago, I think we know how that would turn out.

December 23, 2010 at 7:15 am
(12) Carolyn says:

I just started on the “generic” version of Armour Thyroid manufactured by Acella about a week to two weeks ago. I was really upset because I have been on the brand name, Armour Thyroid for years now by Forest Labs and have been doing great!! Walgreens said they would not give me Armour Thyroid and that I had to accept the generic.

Since I have been on this.. maybe after a week or so: my eyes are dry, I’m nervous, irritable, very moody, cry a lot, feel tired and fatigued, and to tell you the truth.. I feel very depressed. There’s nothing going on in my life that would cause any of this and I’m not taking any other prescription medications. The only thing that’s changed is that I’m taking this generic version. I want to see if my doctor can force Walgreens to give me the brand name.

Please help!! I’m feeling really bad and nobody understands how this really feels except for other thyroid patients!!

Please feel free to email me at: LooksWithinBear@yahoo.com

June 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm
(13) allison ketchem says:

Carolyn
please know that you are not alone. I have been on armour for many years and managed through the shortage last year.
i was like an addict trying to manuever my doses each month.
A few weeks ago I noticed that I too have been feeling fatigued, had at least a 10 lb weight gain, felt absent minded and thought i was going a bit crazy. I did not think anything about thyroid except that maybe stress was playing with my levels as I have been dealing with a family emergency the past 2 months.
I just happened to notice the pills felt different as i have never had a problem with my pharmacy. i decided to call and ask if armour was having problems again and if they changed something. pharmacy acknowledged they gave me np thyroid and insisted they changed me to a generic. not too happy i called the dr who informed me armour is armour and there is no generic. Pharmacy just went ahead and did it without notifying me. right now im very angry and have to accept some responsiilty as i did not check but my bottle said armour so i thought it was me.
Pharmacy is still trying to blame dr and then they said the shortage was back which is bs. I will never reccommend this np thyroid as it is not an equivelent as far as dose goes and i have not felt this poorly in years. its ashame we have to be our own advocates for health of all things. good luck to you and you are not alone

December 24, 2010 at 10:03 am
(14) imoose says:

Carolyn:

You have to make sure your script says Armour on it, then they cannot substitute. If they still insist, change pharmacy’s and tell them why. Just call your doc, no reason to pay for another appointment.

If they dropped Armour, there are many other places that carry it, you can call around your self.

December 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm
(15) lmoose says:

The scoop:

NP Thyroid (thyroid tablets, USP) for oral use is a natural preparation derived from porcine thyroid glands. They contain both tetraiodothyronine sodium (T4 levothyroxine) and triiodothyronine sodium (T3 liothyronine) providing 38 mcg levothyroxine (T4) and 9 mcg liothyronine (T3) per grain of thyroid (or per 65 mg of the labeled amount of thyroid). The inactive ingredients are calcium stearate, dextrose monohydrate, maltodextrin and mineral oil.

- no micro crystaline cellulose fillers!

January 16, 2011 at 11:13 am
(16) Carol says:

Imoose,
Good morning
Can you tell us where you found this info. I too was getting Armour from Walgreens and a couple months ago they told me they switched to this dif drug.
I do notice some of my symptoms are back but so far manageable. I would be curious how you found this I haven’t been able to.
Are these similar to Armour?

January 29, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(17) imoose says:

then type in NP Thyroid, it tells whats in it.

December 29, 2010 at 8:37 am
(18) lreid says:

Walgreens gave me this instead of Armour about 4 weeks ago. Within 2 days my reaction to it was noticable enough, that walgreens ordered my Armour, and put a note in my file. I was extremely anxious and nervous, my heart was racing, I was jittery. I could not concentrate, I was fatigued, and aching all over. And I was freaking out to say the least.

I understand how Carolyn feels! It was a scary feeling.
This is the only medicine I take, so this is the only med that could have caused this.

January 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm
(19) Joanne says:

I think we are back to the same problems of two drugs being Bioequivalent but not Theraputically equivalent. I’ve had to switch to Erfa. I had to drop my dose down and come back up after the Armour fiasco.

When I get the the “heart” issues of racing, etc. from changing.. I know I need to start at lower dosing and increase slowly.

Good Luck everyone. To many of us are suffering.

January 14, 2011 at 11:25 am
(20) Annie K says:

It would be so nice if doctors and pharmacies could understand that while other drugs work fine on some patients there are those of us who truly NEED what works. Armour has been a lifesaver. Just recently too I was given this new stuff from Acella. I didn’t catch it. Once I started to feel awful I looked at the bottle and lost my mind. Yes, I had paid less for the drug which should have been my first clue but I was never told that this drug was different. Just called Walgreens and they are going to fix this and make sure I don’t get anything but Armour. The Armour website says there are no backorders. Since I started taking this new stuff (I was willing to try it) I have put on 15 pounds and feel like crud. Keep in mind, in this same time frame I have gotten certified and am teaching 9 Zumba classes a week. I hope that this new stuff works for some of you all. But just like with Synthroid I am getting no relief and actually feel worse. I will be picking up my Armour this evening. :)

January 29, 2011 at 2:29 pm
(21) imoose says:

Lets calm down.

In most cases if someone changes brands of dessicated, it takes the body at leat one months to recover. During this period, you most likely go temporarily slightly hypo as your cells need time to recognize and adapt to the hormone.

I have used 5 brands of dessicated in the last two years, this happened every time. Two were ‘generics’ by Time Caps and Major, they worked great but were discontinued in 2009 during the Armour shortage. I finally switched to Canadian Erfa last year to aviod the supply problems of the US brands. Even though Erfa is considered the best, most will feel hypo for at least three weeks when switching to it it.

For those of you on Armour, if it works for you, then you need to stay on it completely or switch to another brand and stay on that brand.

My whole point: For some one just starting and deciding to try a dessicated thyroid hormone, Acella just might be a good option.

And yes, some brands dont work well for some people. As good as Nature Thyroid is said to be, it did not work for me even after three months, labs were chaos on it. But some like it.

Lets not bash it. Its new. Dosing among dessicated meds is unfortunately never equal either, a sad fact. Grain for grain our bodies will and do absorb them differently.

It is unfortunate that many docs and pharmacist are clueless as to what I just pointed out. They should know this. We need to tell them.

February 13, 2011 at 10:21 am
(22) Liz says:

I JUST started, on Tuesday, this “generic” drug…30 mg. Day #2 was tired, BP began to rise, as did my heart rate. Thursday night, I was just sitting in front of the TV, when all of a sudden I got a very tight feeling in my chest and throat and severe chest pain. Took my BP and it was WAY up! I went straight to the hospital, thinking it was a heart attack. I was admitted.

The next day I went thru rounds of heart tests, which revealed no heart attack. Then the rash appeared on my R hand.

My cardiologist immediately stopped the drug. 2 days after coming home, I still have this rash, but my symptoms of heart attack are gone. When I looked up side effects, all of these symptoms are there. I won’t take it again.

October 31, 2011 at 4:01 pm
(23) Kerri Haskins says:

Just thought of this, if the Thyroid NP absorbs better, the dose will be much higher for you if it just got switched over from Armour. Remember Armour reformulation needed a higher dose.

February 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm
(24) Imoose says:

Liz,

Was this the first time you have taken a thyroid med with T3 in it?

If so, that can be a side effect when starting any T3 med for the first time at full dose. We are all different in how our bodies first react to a new thyroid med, some go temporally hypo, some hyper. Some lucky ones (not me) get used to a new thyroid med right away.

High heart rate and sweating can be a sign of medicine induced temporary hyper thyroid – to much med at once. When starting any T3 med, Its best to be ‘ramped up’ to full dose so your body gets used to it. It even says this on Armour’s PDF on the Armour site – but docs seem to be unaware of how to ramp up T3 meds, to bad, we suffer then.

Take care.

October 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm
(25) Kerri Haskins says:

If Thyroid NP is absorbing better then dose needs to be lowered..we raised the dose for Armour new formulation remember

February 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(26) Sherry says:

Those of us without a thyroid are most vulnerable. When Armour changed it’s formula I slowly became more and more hypo until I was near death – my doc couldn’t believe how sick I’d become. I switched to Erfa and the lights came back on. It took a couple of months to feel more normal, but I haven’t been the same since before this Hypo experience. I changed docs last fall and she prescribes “desiccated thyroid” for me so I can switch around at will. But, she has bumped up my dose and finally I’m doing better. I’ve been able to handle the cold weather so much better this winter!

I just don’t understand how docs and the FDA can think that synthetic drugs are better. And Forest Labs MUST change the formula back. Is there any way we can petition them? Erfa is definitely GOLD, but it’s costing me 3 times more.

my 2 cents, Sherry in Colorado

March 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm
(27) pmgamer18 says:

I am hearing that the Erfa not made in Canada is not the same and people are having problems. The Erfa coming from over seas takes longer comes from New Zealand.

I hear they can’t keep up with the orders and the Erfa coming from New Zealand even has a bad taste.
Phil

March 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm
(28) Imoose says:

Hey pmgamer18, just where did you hear / see this about Erfa not made in Canada?

thanks

March 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm
(29) srsontag says:

I’ve been using NP Thyroid for a month now. Although my hypothyroid symptoms have improved somewhat, I still have a long ways to go. Has anyone been getting good results from NP Thyroid? I’m wondering if this new formula of natural thyroid is proving to be as effective as the OLD armour & maybe I need an increased dose, or if I need to find some ERFA. Any updates on if armour will ever go back to their old formula?

April 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm
(30) Trina says:

This is my 3rd month on Acella and I wouldn’t go back to Armour for anything. I think it is a little stronger than Armour, but my hypo symptoms were back and have improved drastically with this new drug. It is like the old Armour to me and I pray that nothing changes about it. it is a God send!

May 3, 2011 at 11:39 am
(31) Laura says:

Hello,
I just started on Acella about three weeks ago. My doctor has been wonderful in listening to me. I totally crashed when they changed the Armour formulation. I have been floundering since. I gained a whopping 25lbs! Now I am just starting to feel a bit better. I will keep you posted but for those of us who couldn’t tolerate the formulation change, this may be the answer.

May 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm
(32) Linda says:

I also just started on Acella about two weeks ago, when Walgreen’s made a substitution for my Armour. So far, I’m thinking it is better. I noticed a difference with the very first dose, and it wasn’t entirely pleasant. For the first 3-4 days, I had heart palpitations and headaches. Not awful, but noticeable. I interpreted that to mean the Acella was stronger than Armour. After the 4th day, I’ve had no other problems, and am feeling better. I have not done well on Armour over the last year. In the last few months, my TSH has gone from 1.0 to 4.4, I am tired, have sleep disturbances and achy joints, have gained 8 pounds for no reason. I’m starting to feel a little better after 2 weeks on Acella. I’m going to stay with it for a month and see how it goes. Acella may be a Godsend.

June 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm
(33) Sonia says:

Thanks for the info do you still feel as good if not better.
I was on Naturethyroid and feel horrible since they added new fillers. Want to give this a shot.

May 3, 2011 at 11:55 am
(34) forestlady says:

You neglect to say that many if not most people who have used Armour for years (myself included) have not done well at all on the reformulated Armour. Acella may be better than the new version of Armour. I had to switch to Erfa.

It also explains why the FDA ordered Armour to reformulate, rendering it ineffective for most users. They probably have some sort of ties or kickbacks with Acella.

Finally, how in the world can it be called GENERIC natural dessicated thyroid. Natural thyroid is just that, different fillers, sure, but Nature didn’t give the natural thyroid hormone a brand name :)

May 5, 2011 at 10:34 pm
(35) Karen says:

I just picked up Acella today… I’ve been on Nature-Throid since last year but have never been able to stabilize since the Armour fiasco. Reading most of these posts, it sounds like Acella is stronger (absorbed better) and they suffered hyper symptoms. I think I’m going to cut my dose back a bit to start and see what happens. I’ll keep y’all posted, but I am one who is happy to see them on the market… it gives me hope! :)

June 3, 2011 at 10:00 am
(36) janelle says:

I was switched from Armour 2G (which I had tolerated with perfect labs for many years, both new and old formulations) a month ago to Acella. I made the mistake of continuing the same dose, and within days had palpatations, sweating – definitely hyper. Tried going down to 1 1/2, still hyper but better, then down to 1G. Now have been on that dose for ~ 3 weeks, still having some symptoms of hyper but less often and less severe. Will see how it goes and post a follow up.

July 29, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(37) Kim says:

I too was switched to Acella, same dose and I have become hyper in 10 days. I have headaches, palpitations, chest pain, and a host of other symptoms. I am going back to Armour since it was working and I did not ask to be switched. Going hyper scares me as it can bring on cardio problems.

October 31, 2011 at 4:05 pm
(38) Kerri Haskins says:

Acella absorbes better so you would need less of a dose.

June 22, 2011 at 11:38 am
(39) Michael says:

I have been on Synthroid 75 micrograms for 18 months after living with severe undiagnosed hypothyroid and chronic fatigue symptoms for over 3 years. A noticeable but minor relief in symptoms as a result. Within the past week I have now been prescribed desiccated and I chose to ask for NP Thyroid from Acella. My decision was based on the formulation for NP Thyroid allowing for sublingual administering of the dose. I also am using a ramp up schedule for my first week on direct T3 exposure of 1 grain NP Thyroid and 1/2 70 microgram Synthroid so as to not drastically lower my T4 dose. Since my previous physician (Synthroid never measured my T3 levels, I have no idea how my body would react to direct T3. After 7 days at this rate of direct T3 my next stair step will be to take 2 grains of NP Thyroid and see if my body allows this dose. If not I will drop back to my 1 grain and 1/2 Synthroid combination for yet another week befor trying to get to 2 grains of NP Thyroid per day (1in morning and one in afternoon).

2 points for your consideration – T3 is better administered through sublingual method so as to slow down its entry into the body. Second, none of the previous posts indicated that you were splitting your daily dose into 2 different times. The NP is easy to disolve, tastes sweet and can take as long as 45 min – 1 hour to disolve under the tounge. This would allow for a more gradual release of T3 into your blood stream and prolong the short 1/2 life of T3.

I hope that this information helps all to remember just how potent the T3 hormone is and to do what you can to prolong the intake of T3 into your blood stream.

Respectfully – Michael

June 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm
(40) Jules says:

I’m new to all of this. Hypo since jan’11 syntyroid .88 for past 14 weeks still hypo by tsh with issues ft4 1.09 went to a new doc willing to try Armour. Should I fill with the np thyroid and ramp up? Dr said oh you’ll do fine on one grain. He does not realize I get rell bad hyper symptoms with dose changes. Had to start synthyroid at 1/2lowest dose and wrk up to the . 88 since Jan.
Why are you taking 1/2 synthyroid and 1/2 np? I don’t think I understand.

June 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm
(41) Livia says:

http://www.npthyroid.com will give you specific information on Acell’s formulation.

Go to the bottom of that page and click on Full Prescribing Information and on NP Thyroid. These two links will give you all the information.

Acella Pharmaceutical’s phone number is 1-800-541-4802
Their website address is http://www.acellapharma.com

When comparing NP Thyroid to Armour Thyroid it appears that the T4 and T3 parts of the formulation is identical. The fillers are different.

NP Thyroid has no wheat fillers; it uses corn.

June 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(42) melissa says:

I have a question about changing thyroid brands. I have been on compounded thyroid, 60 mg twice a day. I was looking at the np thyroid since it has few fillers and I would not have to mess with compounding any more. But I am confused on how np thyroid lists their grains. It says 65 mg equals 39/7 ratio but then goes on to say their pills are 60mg. Does that mean if you get the 60mg that you are not getting a full grain of medication? Don’t want to switch if it is any less than what I am taking.
Thanks,
Melissa

July 2, 2011 at 12:00 am
(43) Patricia says:

Without informing me, Walgreens started filling my prescriptions with Acella rather than Armour since January. I’ve been feeling bloated & exhausted to the point of purchasing vitamin B12 hoping it would give me more energy. Today I went to the doctor & found I gained 15 pounds in 6 months. Acella is not working! I am going to go back to the compounding pharmacy I used during the Armour shortage, the cost is much higher but I hate the way I feel.

September 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm
(44) TxLady says:

I gained 20 lbs in the past couple of years on Armour. I’ve had so many tests with no good conclusion. In fact, doc said I was hyper not hypo. Tell my scale that! It all made sense though when I recently read about the Armour reformulation several years back. So at the beginning of August, I got my doc to change me over to NP Thyroid (acella). Although I feel better on it, I am having some issues with heat flashes and swelling in my legs, ankles and feet swell every day. No weight loss yet :( What should I do now? I loved the old Armour…I didn’t have any issues with it. If I change to Erfa …do you have to mail your presc to Canada, I guess?

July 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(45) backgammon says:

HELP! I picked up my new script of Armour at Walgreens on Friday. Sunday my heart started racing, I am a nervous wreck, my hands are shaking. I got the old & new bottles out and the new one is (in very tiny letters) (Acella).
I take 1 1/2 grams twice a day and have no thyroid.

Today is the 4th of July so I can’t do anything but wait until tomorrow.

Check your bottle before you leave with it.

July 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm
(46) Kym says:

It certainly seems to me that the fillers are making the differences here. New Armour has a cellulose filler, making the T4 and T3 harder to absorb. WHen I was on OLD Armour, my dose was 90mg. On the NEW Armour I had to go up to 180 mg just to be able to absorb anything. However, I once again feel like crud.

Since Acella has no cellulose as a filler, it appears to be more easily absorbed into the system. As such, I would THINK that one should not go from 3 grains of Armour directly to 3 grains of Acella – could end up overmedicating oneself!

Also, as another poster mentioned, when switching from one product to another, there is typically a hypo time as the body readjusts. Might have to give it more time.

Personally, I am excited to hear about Acella and will ask for the switch to be made….

July 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm
(47) Kim says:

I started on the Acella Thyroid NP 2 grains a day 1 am and 1 pm 2 weeks ago when my pharmacy switched me to it without my consent. I was ticked at first seeing the wrong med and feeling they should have asked, but decided to give it a try– it being another natural thyroid. I have been on it now for 10 days and I feel hyper as all get out. I have rapid heart beat, I am hot and then clammy, headaches, and some slight chest pain. I am not going to take another one and I am going back to the pharmacy to switch it back to Armour. Not happy.

August 19, 2011 at 10:02 am
(48) ann safron says:

My doctor retired and the I chose my next doc by the fact he was using biodentical. My first prescription was for Armour, but Walgreen’s gave me Thyroid NP and told me it was the same. The next prescription Walgreen’s filled was Armour Thyroid.(?) The first day I took Armour I had nausea, leg pains and itching all over. My doc told me I was allergic to it. Now I’m waiting for the compounded thyroid to arrive.

My insurance wants all generics now and if it is not, the patient has to pay a higher or full price.

September 21, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(49) Nikki says:

That is one of the biggest issue….changing thyroid doses. Everytime there is a change, the whole system needs to re adjust and it a lot of time.

I am still sticking to Armour for the time being but would be waiting for some feedback on this natural thyroid from Acella Pharmaceuticals.

It’s a shame my GP only wants to give thyroxine and I’ve to source Armour from my own money!

October 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm
(50) works4me says:

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in August
Of this year. I was placed on 0.5GR (30MG) NP
Tablets by Acella. In the beginning, it made me
Hyper and I lost about 20 pounds. I had bad
Headaches , palpitations, nervousness,etc. I
Decided to stick with it after being told by a
Compounding pharmacy to allow myself time
For my body to adjust to it. Believe it or not,
Staying with the same product has yielded
Positive results. Seems like as time goes by, the
More effective it is. I’m a guy by the way. May
GOD bless!!

October 31, 2011 at 1:32 pm
(51) MJ says:

Hi all,

I was just started on Acella. .5 gr/30 mg. I read somewhere to take half in the AM and half in the afternoon! Umm….the pill is really small and hard to get in half! So I end up with different sizes etc. The first week or two I noticed an increase in energy – not much but still…. Anyway…how do all do this with theres? Also, I am reading that taking it at night all in one dose is much better? Does anyone do this? How does anyone get there doc to up the dose?

Another question from a complete newbie! My cortisol levels are way off as well as my T3/T4. My doc won’t do anything about this! Someone told me to take iodine and DHEA at 5 mg’s. So this is what I am doing. The iodine is Tri-odine at 12.5 mg’s by Terry Naturally. Does anyone do anything for this that does not have to be acquired from a script?

MJ

October 31, 2011 at 1:39 pm
(52) MJ says:

PS

I have hyper versus hypo. Have a ton of hair loss and it’s getting worse!

Anyone know about this and how to combat this?

October 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm
(53) Kerri Haskins says:

I did have my Armour dose up by prescription. I used to be on old armour at 2 grains and was on 3 grains for armour and still low results. Got a 1/2 grain increase, and didnt notice till 4 days later that it was thyroid NP..

The doctor said it wasnt the generic of Armour just another brand and the same. Ya right..could tell the difference right away.

I do want this brand but know I need to reduce my dose. Currently on 3 grains of Armour. Should I go down to 1 1/2 grains or 2 grains of Thyroid NP.

December 16, 2011 at 11:48 am
(54) Vicki says:

I started with the generic brand NP thyroid the beginning of November. I had headaches, heart palipations, arrythmias, jitteriness and strung out so bad that I would just explode with each episode. It is the most awful feeling. My doctor checked my TSH and said that it hadn’t changed and that I must be under stress at which I blew up again because I didn’t have any stress or wasn’t feeling this way until I changed from Armour to NP Thyroid. So I stopped all supplements and divided my med into 2 doses. It’s better but I still get occassional heart racing episodes. Doctors – you guys need to start listening to your patients and researching some of the meds you are putting us on. It’s too easy to tell your patients that they are suffering from stress. Glad I found this web site. I thought it was just me suffering from these side effects and being a hypochondriac. :)

January 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(55) kathleen says:

I have the opposite problems of most of the people here. I was on Armour until I had problems getting it (process of switching formulas) once they did switch I noticed a big difference and it wasn’t good. NP Thyroid has thankfully been the answer, until I moved recently and transferred my prescription. Unfortunately they could not fill the prescription and kept sending me Armour (which is not 3x the price of NP). Now they gave me what they said was NP to tied me over until they can get the order in… whatever they gave me (more then likely Armour) is giving me horrible side effects. They just called saying they could not get me NP and would I like the Armour instead… NFW! I am on a desperate search for NP and if I can’t find it I’d rather take nothing at this point. :( I have called four different pharmacies… *crosses my fingers and tries Walgreens that is an hour from here! Wish me luck!

February 7, 2012 at 9:45 am
(56) Merlin509 says:

I started having problems two years ago when Armour reformulated. I didn’t know about the reformulation until late in 2010, but was having lots of hypo symptoms by then, even though labs looked ok. I lowered the dose (originally 120mg Armour), switched to NatureThroid (felt hyper), then to Erfa (felt hyper), then nothing (TSH-35), then Synthroid (just 3 weeks), then Armour (120mg), then NP Thyroid (90mg) in mid-August and had been doing okay. Labs looked great (TSH-1.55, FT3-3.8, FT4-77) for about 4 months, then were low after Christmas (TSH-3.61, FT3-2.8, FT4-67) so I wanted to try Nature thyroid again and went to 120mg NT. Had hyper cardio symptoms so switched to 120mg NP Thyroid and REALLY had hyper cardio symptoms (weird chest pain, shoulder pain, felt like shot with dose of adrenalin) so just cut back to 90mg NP Thyroid a few days ago and am getting better. I determined that the reason I went a little hypo during the holidays is that I started drinking green and black tea for several weeks prior and the fluoride was suppressing my thyroid. I then stopped drinking the tea, got non-fluoride toothpaste and switched to the 120mg dose of thyroid all at the same time, so no surprise that I had hyper episodes. —

February 7, 2012 at 9:46 am
(57) Merlin509 says:

—continued—I’m done experimenting and will stay with the 90mg dose of NP Thyroid long term and stay away from fluoride and other things that might suppress. This roller coaster that Iíve been on for the last two years has taught me a lot about my thyroid. It’s truly amazing what the doctors don’t know about this stuff. My doc rolled his eyes when I suggested that the fluoride from tea was affecting me, but green, black and Oolong teas have very high fluoride levels (plus whatís in tap water) and drinking just 3 cups a day raised my TSH two whole points in a matter of weeks. He also doubted that cholesterol was significantly affected, but mine jumped from 155 to 204 within 3 weeks of stopping thyroid supplementation completely, and returned to 156 within 6 weeks of supplementing. And last but not least, changing brands and doses is a bitch, so try to pick a brand/dose and stick with it, supplement to support thyroid and watch your diet. Good luck to all!

March 19, 2012 at 6:21 pm
(58) Cayce says:

Just got Acella a few weeks ago and think it’s better than the new, reformulated Armour – which is crap. I’m a TT (total thyroidectomy) so very sensitive to dose/brand changes. Nature-throid gave me chest pain and anxiety. As some of you have said, it seems Acella is a bit more like the old Armour.

April 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm
(59) Silvia says:

Moved onto no thyroid from armour. Hair loss has been worse than ever. And after two months of shedding, it’s not letting up.

May 16, 2012 at 10:29 am
(60) Mary says:

Hi everyone!
i have been taking 165 mgs of armour thyroid for over a year now.
i just requested a switch to NP Thyroid.
Is it stronger or more effective than the armour?
will i have to take a smaller dose?
thanks so much!

May 19, 2012 at 11:15 pm
(61) Mike says:

Mary,

I think you will have to try it and see. Many here seem to think that NP Thyroid is stronger than Armour Thyroid. My insurance company strongly encouraged a switch to NP Thyroid ($3 vs. $90 copay). I started on NP, and I’ve been feeling tired. I think I’ll need to up the dose a bit. So it seems to vary for each person.

Good luck!

Mike

June 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm
(62) JackySue says:

Hi! I’m new to the natural & just switched to Accella NP-60 from Levoxyl. I’m also taking a T3 supplement, too. Well I’m so dizzy, light headed, hot & tired! I’ve been on them for a week now & was hoping to be feeling better by now. I hear conflicting views on when it should be taken – w/ or w/out food, sublinguily, etc. I was directed to switch right over – no ramping required. – Thanks!

July 31, 2012 at 4:05 pm
(63) Sally says:

I have hypothyroidism and had lost 30 pounds in 6 months at my doctor’s visit, last week, had not been dieting but eating sensibly. After blood results came back, my doctor lowered my Armour 2 grains, 120 mg dosage to 1-1/2 grains, 90 mg. Walgreen’s substituted the NP Thyroid 90 mg for Armour. I called the pharmacist and was told I’d have to get a RX with no substitutions in order to have the Armour filled, which I could do. I was having no problems with the Armour and am somewhat concerned continuing with the NP Thyroid after reading some of the previous comments, especially with possible heart palpitations. Has anyone experienced this same switch and found the results favorable after a 90 day period? I wish the pharmacy would have called to ask me before making the switch, especially if the absorbtion is different. I have a 90 day supply and no refills before blood work is to be done again. Thanks to anyone who has experienced this scenario and can report your results.

September 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm
(64) Carmen says:

Hi,

I am wondering if any of the people who have been on Acella since it was introduced would recommend it instead of the other dissicated alternatives.

How have you felt on it?

Have you seen any changes in hair loss / weight?

Mood?

Thanks for your input

Carmen

September 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm
(65) M Bourgeois says:

Can someone answer a question? Would I get hair loss from using Amour thyroid.

September 22, 2012 at 5:10 pm
(66) Laura S. says:

I have read every single one of these posts and am more confused than ever! I have a large multinodular goiter that is beginning to affect breathing and swallowing. Doc says TT is what I need, so it is scheduled in a month. I came here looking for ideas on HRT after my TT. Doc won’t prescribe “natural”, so I’ll have to self-medicate. Have never taken any thyroid hormones in my life. My labs have always been “normal” so my doc never said I was hypo, but my goiter continues to grow!!! I’ve tried iodine (too low a dose I’ve now found out) and chinese herbs over the past year, trying to shrink my goiter, but it still keeps growing. Really don’t want the TT, but losing hope for shrinking my goiter. Now back to dosing and brand……. what do you recommend for me? Armour, Acella, or Naturethroid? I don’t have any sensitivies to “fillers” that I know of, no allergies or other health problems. Just this big ‘ol goiter… thanks everyone for any hope you can give!

September 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(67) Kim Taylor says:

Walgreens switched my prescription from Armour to Acella the first week of July. At that point I was on 1.35mg. It was like someone flipped a switch and I started feeling so much better. I didn’t know why until I finally read the label on the bottle a couple of weeks later. I have been on Acella since that time and the only symptom I have left is some lingering edema. I was not getting anywhere on Armour.

Carmen, my hair has stopped falling out, eye brows growing back, all extra weight gone, can think, constipation gone, and skin dryness gone. I still have some edema in my lower legs, though not as bad, and some joint pain that could be hormonal. I may have gotten there eventually with Armour, I don’t know, but I don’t want to experiment. Sticking with Acella.

M Bourgeois, TEMPORARY hair loss is common with any type of Thyroid replacement meds, and I believe much worse with Synthroid. That should ease up in a couple of months (2 or so). If your hair continues to fall out it is more likely you are not taking a high enough dose.

October 6, 2012 at 8:51 am
(68) linda payne says:

Had to switch to mail order drugs at work; I sent script for Armour for a 90 day supply and they substituted NP thyroid. I’ve been on Armour for years and was doing well. After 3 months on NP, I was losing hair (it was coming out in my hands in the shower), I had joint pain return and other new aches, palpitations, sleep disturbance and mid-day fatigue which I haven’t had in many years. NP and I do not agree! I have opted to go back to getting my Armour filled locally and paying out of pocket (since getting it month by month is not an option under my insurance coverage). *The mail order drug company said they were “unable to get Armour – it was unavailable”. However, my Ritzman pharmacy is having no trouble at all getting Armour!

October 18, 2012 at 5:46 am
(69) momnson says:

Try compounded thyroid from ITC Pharmacy. I am using the T3 compounded and it is wonderful! ITC Pharmacy is the best!

December 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(70) Trish says:

Dear Carolyn,
I REALLY feel for you.
I cannot believe your negative reactions to the Acella NP
I am 62 and been on thyroid meds for probably 30+ years.
Synthoid, Armour (old formula), Armour (new formula was like taking NOTHING)
I have NOT felt NORMAL FOR YEARS!!! UNTIL NOW!!! on Acella NP
I learned about it from my sister who was recently diagnosed, and put on Armour, but received Acella at Wallgreens, and never had to experience any of the trial & errors of meds that I went through. I feel SO NORMAL again, I could not wait to tell my Doctor.
She was VERY HAPPY for me and I think will now be recommending Acella to her patients.

December 10, 2012 at 11:55 am
(71) Carol H says:

Laura;
I too had a goiter until I was properly diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. Has your doc tested you for antibodies? If not, before having a thyroidectomy, make sure you are properly diagnosed. In the US the most common cause of goiter is Hashimoto’s as iodine deficiency is rare. If you have Hashimoto’s, explore Low Dose Naltraxone. Wish it had been around when I was first diagnosed as for many people it has completely haulted the progression of thyroiditis AND reduced the goiter. Otherwise, you will be facing the challenge of thyroid replacement therapy that all of us on this blog struggle with. It is a challenge at best, confusing and never the same for any two people. The most important thing is being properly diagnosed by a doc that knows what he is doing and will listen to you!

Good luck.

January 21, 2013 at 8:44 am
(72) Anna says:

Please, can anyone here (or Mary personally) tell me if it’s true that Armour Thyroid was reformulated a second time some time in late 2010?! There have been reports that some recent batches have not been as bad as they were back in 2009…I was put on Armour in December 2011, and I feel OK on it as long as I take enough (which in my case is 5 grains) and chew the pills up. But it does not feel as gritty and cardboardy as many claimed back in 2009, so maybe there is some truth to this rumor? But it seems nobody has been able to confirm it. If it was true, you’d think Forest would want the whole world to know, given the bad publicity the company has been getting since the (first) reformulation?!

February 1, 2013 at 9:31 am
(73) Terrie says:

Carol H, can you tell us more about Low Dose Naltraxonehave , I am at the end of my rope, desparate to lose this extra weight, I diet, exercise like mad but can’t even lose one pound (yes im gluten free and it SUCKS) Please tell me if you know what i can do
I have been on MANY kinds of thyroid meds, Synthroid, compounded, Erfa, cytomel/synthroid, currently on 120 Armour, also, should I be taking my meds twice per day instead of just morning? Thank you ta all who are trying to help other suffers of this curse!

April 29, 2013 at 8:53 am
(74) JanieW says:

I just realized that my pharmacy substituted my Armour Thyroid for Acella without telling me. I am furious. Acella left me sleepless, with horrible ringing ears and joint pain so bad I couldn’t get up off the floor.. I felt better when I wasn’t taking it.

Friends be aware: This is how Walgreens labeled my pill bottle “THYROID ” in big bold letters, then in very small light print “Acella (for Amour)”.

May 19, 2013 at 9:07 am
(75) Evelyn Boesling says:

I have been on L-thyroxine (synthroid) tab 50 MCG for years and have been suffering from heat intolerance. I finally got a dr. to order something different. I’ve been on Thyroid (NP) since May 1. And have not had any hot reactions. I haven’t had my thyroid level checked yet, but it has been heaven not being hot.

May 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(76) D Wood says:

I’m moving my son from Erfa to NP Thyroid, so from what I read, NP is stronger than Erfa? Thx.

June 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm
(77) kristie says:

Hello Everyone, I currently am on 90 mg twice a day and I also take 25mcg of synthroid. I have celiac disease & am gluten free (happily). My insurance is no longer covering armour. So I thought I would at least try the np because I am not 100% happy with armour (I’ve only had the newer one). I still have about 10 armour 90 mg pills left and I started today taking NP in the afternoon. I plan to take armour in the AM and NP in the PM until I run out of armour. My most recent labs (a week or two ago showed my tsh is non existent .009 and my ft4 was 119, my ft3 was slightly high at 440. So I may be a bit hyper. Even when my ft4 and ft4 are on the low end of normal my tsh is always <.010. I am not having major symptoms of being hyper, except for some anxiety. Thankfully my doc is great and says, Just let me know if you are having hyper symptoms and we'll adjust. I am still having edema in my legs. Its so weird, I am thin – always have been and therefore had a hard time finding a diagnosis – but my legs since being diagnosed and on armour are always puffy, cellulite-y. I am starting to think its just going to be my new normal. BTW- it will be 2 years in August since I was diagnosed. In the middle of those 22 months I have had a baby and am currently breastfeeding. So imagine how hard it has been getting regulated. But I know that all my hormonal changes have only made it harder and take longer than most to get regulated. Regarding my stress and anxiety, I do have 4 kids – one only 8 months, just bought a fixer upper, and am busy as ever with life. So it would be strange not to be stressed. But other than the anxiety, I am not having hyper symptoms. Temp is 98.6 and my resting heart rate is between 75-85 bpm, normal bowel function. I am I am a bit concerned though making this switch to NP and hope I don't get hyper. I will try to update everyone in a few weeks so that I may be able to help someone else through my experience.

September 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm
(78) Jack says:

NP Thyroid is NOT manufactured by Acella.
Their flyer clearly states it is “Manufactured for”. So actual manufacturer is not known.

October 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm
(79) terri says:

I’ve been on NP thyroid for two yrs and have felt great till the shortage in july 2013 and since have been feeling sick to my stomach and aching all over. I called Acella and spoke to there person and he assures me no changes have been made to the formula but so did Armour when they reformulated. Has anyone else had a problem?

October 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(80) Hilary says:

Terri, I’ve had the same experience with Acella. I was doing great on it for two years. When the backorder came this summer, I had several months of it in reserve. When that started running low, I called Walgreen’s, who said they got some Acella back in stock after months of being out of it but it was almost gone again. I took what they had and immediately felt the difference. My first thought was they reformulated, just like Armour and NatureThroid. The pills were harder and darker compared with the remaining Acella I have pre-backorder.

October 25, 2013 at 8:20 pm
(81) Terri says:

Hilary, I agree these pills are harder and not as sweet and I feel awful on them I can’t sleep and so tired. My eyes burn don’t know where to go now?

November 4, 2013 at 2:51 am
(82) Hilary says:

Terri,
Unbelievably, I’m now on Armour and doing great. I was super skeptical about going back. Yes, I went through the reformulation in 2009 and it didn’t work for me at all after they changed it. But I started hearing good things about Armour in the last year or so when some people reported that the pills were softer, especially the lower dose pills (I take 60 mg in the am and 30mg in the afternoon). I decided to give it another try and they are actually stronger that the Acella was and I’ve had to reduce my dose a bit. I had luck with Erfa (the Canadian NT) in the past but it’s been hit or miss with me batch to batch and I would rather go to a local pharmacy if possible so that’s why I gave Armour another try and I’m glad I did. Almost a month now and my temps are perfect and I feel great with lots of energy. Best of luck : )

November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm
(83) Terri says:

Hilary, hi I just got your post and was so glad to hear a response from someone who knows there is a change in the Acella. I haven’t tried the Armour again but maybe it is time to. I just picked up my new prescription refill of Acella and it has no smell to it at all so it is worse even then last month. No one else has posted they notice the change and the company won’t be honest about it . So will try Armour once again and hope it works once they reformulated in 2009 they really caused me digestive problems hopefully that won’t happen this time. Thank you :)

November 20, 2013 at 11:55 pm
(84) terri says:

I have to say just got my refill of Acella np and thought that I couldn’t continue to take it but to my surprise I am doing well on it and it has been two weeks. It has changed still harder and not as strong smelling but it works so I am thankful cause just can’t take the Armour. Happy

November 26, 2013 at 5:16 pm
(85) Deb says:

I have been taking Acella thyroid since my doctor was willing to switch my Synthroid to a natural thyroid hormone in March 2013. I was on Synthroid (or a generic) since 1990. I have Never felt well on Synthroid even though my lab work would show that my levels were “acceptable”. I have not felt This Well since 1990. I do have some hair loss and do fight about 8 lbs of weight. For me, I would never take Synthroid again. My daughter, has Graves Hypothyroidism too. Today, her doctor switched her from Synthroid to Armour (she said, please put me on Armour so my Mom will be quiet). I will be interested in finding out if it works as well for her. The hair loss and fighting the 8 lbs. are workable problems, with the hair loss improved with the use of men’s foam hair regrowth treatment and weight solved by diet. I feel So Much Better. Insomnia is also subsiding. Just my experience. Hope everyone finds the right treatment for themselves.

December 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm
(86) Terri says:

I guess I spoke to soon after taking the new batch of NP I started to feel bad bones ached, retained water bad and just didn’t feel well at all. Back on Armour now for 4 days will see how it goes???? Hopeful…….

January 25, 2014 at 8:44 pm
(87) Hey There says:

I was on Levothyroxin from Dec 2012 through March 2013. That’s all that dr would prescribe. I found a new dr and went on Armour in April 2013. I ramped up to 120mg, I think it took till July to do so.

In October I noticed the pills were a bit harder. The pharmacist insisted they were the same, and I looked up the markings on the pill and they matched what Armour was, and what they had been. No one else seemed to have the same problem. In November, after 6 stressful work weeks and poor eating, my TSH had dropped to next to nothing and my HR was elevated, so my dr requested I drop my nighttime dose in half to 15 mg. my HR has dropped, TSH came up a hair, but she didn’t want to raise my dose back up until I gave a no grain/no corn/no sugars/no processed food diet an honest try. Lucky I love meat but this lifestyle change sucks, to be honest.

After 3 weeks I am down a mere 4.5 lbs, at one point was a pound less, in the first week. I’ve bounced up and down 2 lbs since then. 2 years ago I tried a similar “test” but without fruits even, and lost 10 lbs in 10 days then plateaued, so as you can imagine I’m extremely frustrated. To deny myself of foods I love and that make my life simper and not see any results …… GRRRRRR! But I promised I’d try.

Today I went to pick up a new script at at new pharmacy. He told me that he put the order in for Armour, but it came through with a new generic of NP Thyroid. I’d probably have to get a new script written specifically for Armour if that’s what I want.

After reading these comments, I’m wondering if my Armour was substituted awhile ago? Does NP and Armour have the same marks on them?

Is it worth giving NP a try? Seems like results are all over the board here.

February 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm
(88) SunnySky says:

My pharmacy gave me Nature-Throid, 48.75, when the doctor script said, Armour 45. Well, Armour doesn’t come in 45, so the pharmacist decided to fill it with NT—”that is was the same thing.”

With all the hubaloo, I found out another option for Armour would be NP by Acella. I’m not sure what to do! Insist the pharmacy fills with Armour only or to ask the doctor to prescripe NP by Acella.

Thoughts, please?

February 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm
(89) SunnySky says:

Hope this is a duplicate….

Thoughts, please?

February 17, 2014 at 1:00 pm
(90) SunnySky says:

Besides taste, I haven’t noticed any difference between NT and Armour, however I realized I was taking the incorrect dosage… a higher amount, actually. I’m already on 5 mcg liothyronine (2X/day, so 10 mcg total), plus taking the 48.75 NT, and 30 mg Armour (2X/day, so 60 mg total)… all in all, 105 mg natural dessicated thyroid, plus 10 mcg liothyronine. I’ was prescribed total of 90 mg Armour and 10 mcg liothyronine, but I’ve got a smorgasboard now with two different NDT, plus the T3… AND taking more of the NDT than prescribed—105 mg vs 90 mg NDT.

Thoughts, please?

February 20, 2014 at 3:23 am
(91) Karen says:

In May, 2013, I purchased a year’s worth of NP thyroid for a year long boat trip in Central America. It must have been the beginning of the shortage because I had to buy the 30 instead of the 60 pills because everyone was out. I had only been on NP Thyroid for a month but felt better as soon as I switched from the synthetics. Once I return to the States in April, I will reorder.

I am reading these comments and wondering if the Acella NP Thyroid was changed while I was gone, perhaps when they ran out? Does anyone have any recent info on whether NP Thyroid has been changed, and if they are experiencing side effects? Thx!

February 25, 2014 at 11:45 am
(92) Bridschid says:

I had NP Thyroid for 3 Years and feel very good on it,…since Autumn 2013 they changed the fillers and I get hypo… :-/

I take Thyroid-S now but it is too hard to me with its T3 in in it…does anybody know if Armour now can be taken and it is better or not?

thanx a lot

Greatings,

Bridschid

February 27, 2014 at 4:00 pm
(93) Drea says:

Something changed recently with NP. Since my refill on January 26th, I have been really lightheaded, shaky, sweaty, cold sensitive, headaches, joint pains. I called Acella, thy said they did not do a formulation change, but it’s so bad, I’m going to the Dr. on Monday and asking them to re-write my script for Armour. I was on Armour for year, was switched to the “generic” NP without my knowledge, but stayed on it because I felt fine. Now I feel AWFUL. I almost passed out at the grocery store. It’s unbearable. Is anyone else having these issues with refills of NP?

March 3, 2014 at 12:48 pm
(94) Agile_GSD says:

Drea,

I feel your pain! I just started my treatment in December. My doc prescribed 50MCG of Synthroid and 60MC of Armour (for the correct T4:T3 ratio). I feel better than I have in years!!!

For my refill, the PA asked if I wanted her to use a different pharmacy. I normally use a local Walgreens. Not knowing any better, I told her to call Walgreens. Well, they gave me Acella NP Thyroid instead of Armour.

After 3 weeks, I’m not happy. I’m tired, cold, irritable, constipated and have a slight brain fog again. I sent a message to my doctor, then found this article and thread.

I don’t want to adjust my dosage without talking to him first. So, we’ll see what he says.

Agile_GSD

March 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm
(95) JJ says:

NP Thyroid took it for just over a year. Severe side effects – inflammation of skin, Hives, Rash, bloating in mid section, in June of 2013 Hair Loss so severe was scared out of my wits as to what was causing this. Went back to forum on another site and read about bad experiences while people took this drug and found out that one of the fillers in the NP Thyroid is ‘mineral oil’. Did checking on mineral oil and read that it causes Rashes and Hives. Ingesting Mineral Oil on a daily basis did a number on my health.

My skin was blistered as in a second degree sunburn, oozing behind and from inside my ears. No change in shampoo, soaps, laundry detergent, deodorant, diet, etc. Do not use hair sprays, gels, makeup, perfume either.

Wanted to share my experience from using this drug.

Stopped taking NP Thyroid Nov. 2013. Skin slowly clearing up with help of anti-biotic from dermatologist.