1. Health

Mary Shomon

Tirosint: New Thyroid Medication on the Market Treats Hypothyroidism

By October 21, 2010

Thyroid patients have been contacting me to ask about the drug "Tirosint," which is the newest thyroid hormone replacement drug available in the U.S. market. Here's a brief Q&A on Tirosint.

What sort of medication is Tirosint?

Tirosint is a brand-name for levothyroxine sodium (like Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Unithroid, and Eltroxin). Levothyroxine sodium is a thyroid hormone replacement drug used to treat hypothyroidism.

How is Tirosint different from other brand names of levothyroxine?

The levothyroxine in Tirosint is in a liquid form, inside a soft gelatin capsule. It is the first and only liquid levothyroxine in a capsule. Other brand name levothyroxine drugs are in tablet form.

Tirosint comes with each capsule in a blister pack -- not loose in a bottle -- and the blister pack is marked to help prevent patients from missing doses.

Tirosint capsules contain no dyes, gluten, alcohol, lactose, or sugar.

What dosages are available?

Tirosint is available in 13 mcg, 25 mcg, 50 mcg, 75 mcg, 88 mcg, 100 mcg, 112 mcg, 125 mcg, 137 mcg, and 150 mcg dosage sizes.

How much does Tirosint cost?

Costs will vary, but generally, it appears that Tirosint is priced similiarly to Synthroid, which is typically the most expensive of the levothyroxine drugs. As of mid-October, 2010, Drugstore.com lists a one month supply, 137 mcg dosage, as follows:

• Tirosint: 28 capsule box, $29.99
  • Synthroid: 137 mcg, 30 tablets, $29.99
  • Levoxyl: 137 mcg, 30 tablets, $21.99
Is there anyone who can't take Tirosint?

Parents who administer levothyroxine to infants and children often crush or dissolve the tablets. Unlike levothyroxine sodium tablets, however, Tirosint capsules cannot be cut or crushed. This means they are not suitable for infants, and children or any other thyroid patients who are unable to swallow whole capsules.

Who makes Tirosint?

Tirosint is marketed and distributed by Akrimax Pharmaceuticals, and manufactured by IBSA Institut Biochimique,a privately-owned, global pharmaceutical company headquartered in Lugano, Switzerland. The U.S. contact location for Akrimax is 11 Commerce Drive, 1st Floor, Suite #100, Cranford, NJ 07016. Their website is www.akrimax.com. Their main contact number is (908) 282-7234.

Where is more information available about Tirosint?

You can get more information about Tirosint at their website, www.tirosintgelcaps.com. Thyroid patients can also join Tirosint's "Off to a Smooth Start" program, which provides updates, information, and periodic coupons for savings on Tirosint. Tirosint also has a Facebook page.

Where can doctors get more information about Tirosint?

The product information page for Healthcare professionals is online, and the contact number at Akrimax for more information on Tirosint is 908-372-0506.

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
October 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm
(1) janet allford says:

Will it be avialable in the UK?

October 21, 2010 at 8:55 pm
(2) Linda says:

It is still just a T4 drug and does not supply T3. I wonder if it has hair loss as a side effect like Synthroid does.

September 25, 2011 at 6:19 pm
(3) janell says:

ALTHOUGH I AM NOT COMPLETELY WELL. I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT I HAVE LOST LESS HAIR SINCE FEBRUARY OF 2011 WHEN I BEGAN TIROSINT THAN EVER IN MY LIFE. HOWEVER, THAT MAY NOT BE HOW IT IS FOR EVERYONE. I WAS ALLERGIC TO SYNTHROID AND FOUND THIS OUT THROUGH THIS SITE. SO NOW WE WILL SEE IF MY BODY REPAIRS THE DAMAGE. TY GL

November 11, 2011 at 2:34 pm
(4) rachel says:

So, the tirosint has NO fillers?? Am I correct? I’ve been on natural, desicated thyroid for 3 yrs. and couldn’t get my levels normal. As of today, I’m switching completely to tirosint. Thoughts on natural porcine thyroid vs. tirosint?

November 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(5) Kamala says:

I was told the Endo that I just saw today that he thinks the hairloss (which I had with Synthroid) was due to the ‘fillers’ as he called them. We shall see.

October 21, 2010 at 9:35 pm
(6) Judith Auerbach says:

I’d like to know why Tirosint is not in the Medicare database. I had previously gotten my prescription under my Medicare Part D insurance but now Tirosint is no longer covered.

I’d like to know WHY.

October 21, 2010 at 9:37 pm
(7) Judith Auerbach says:

For some mysterious reason, Tirosint has been removed from the Medicare database and is no longer covered under Medicare part D insurance plans. I’d like to find out why this happened.

October 22, 2010 at 12:10 am
(8) Jane Thompson says:

I just want to know if it works?

April 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm
(9) Judith Auerbach says:

It definitely DOES work and it’s the only form of levothyroxine which my stomach will tolerate.

October 22, 2010 at 1:58 am
(10) Miriam.L says:

Sounds interesting, and wonder if taking it in liquid capsule form will distribute round the body quicker. Do you know if it will ever be available in the UK where I live and at the moment can only get the equiv levothyroxine UK brand.

October 22, 2010 at 4:42 am
(11) penny says:

Will this be sold in Australia

October 22, 2010 at 6:00 am
(12) aly says:

I’m appalled at the cost of levothyroxine in the US. I live in SE Asia and get Levothyrox over the counter (almost everything is OTC) for $1.50 for 28 x 50iug or about $2 for 28 x 75iug. And this is after a recent price hike. The manufacturer is a French company, Merck Sante. I’ve occasionally had problems with consistency of product but that’s probably more to do with the heat here than the manufacturing of it. I’m moving to Australia soon so I think I’ll be stocking up before I leave here! Another thing to add to the of things to do when visiting Asia in the future: get new glasses ($25 a pop), get any dental work done (only a fraction of price in the West for excellent care and the savings would cover the holiday), get any little bits umm…fixed (I have hooded eyes which are starting to restrict my vision) and get my levothyroxine!

October 22, 2010 at 11:02 am
(13) Nancy says:

I had my T4 compounded so the only ingredients were levothyroxine sodium, Avicel (microcrystalline cellulose), and the gelatin capsule. Despite increasing the dose, my TSH went UP and my T4 and T3 were the lowest they’d ever been. I took it with water on an empty stomach one hour before breakfast.

The only thing I can figure is that it was the protein in the gelatin capsule that was binding to the T4 before my body could get at it. I read a post somewhere from another person who put their thyroid pill inside a gelatin capsule and it interfered with absorption.

This new drug sounds great since it’s dye free, but I’m skeptical about it since it’s in a gelatin capsule.

October 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm
(14) Arlene says:

My Levoxyl seems to be working fine–it’s the fast-dissolve tablet and it’s been available to me since about 2002.

October 22, 2010 at 5:54 pm
(15) Betty says:

Would really like to try the new drug, but have to split a 137 mcg tablet to get near the right amount for me, hence, the new capsule is not an option. Bummer!

October 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm
(16) Victoria says:

I take generic levothyroxine (made my Mylan). A 3 month supply costs me $10. I also take natural thyroid because on T4 alone my Free T3 level would not come up.

October 25, 2010 at 8:02 pm
(17) DrEric says:

It sounds like there won’t be much of a difference when compared to Synthroid, so I’m not sure what the advantage of taking this drug would be over the others. I hope most people reading this have at least considered other treatment options, such as natural thyroid hormone, and depending on your specific condition, a natural thyroid treatment protocol to get to the underlying cause of the condition. While some people do need to take thyroid hormone daily for the rest of their life, others can have their health restored back to normal through natural treatment methods. Obviously some conditions can’t be cured, but some can, yet just about everyone with hypothyroidism is told to take synthetic thyroid hormone forever.

Dr. Eric

October 27, 2010 at 5:56 am
(18) Ciara says:

Hi Eric, that’s most interesting. I have hashimotos autoimmune disease amd basically my throid gland has ceased to function but unfortunately there is no natural thyroid treatment protocol in existence to effectively treat this. GThe oly treatment is the scientific medically approved course – so I need to take thyroxine. No cure but thankfully treatment.

October 27, 2010 at 10:20 am
(19) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Eric,

Actually, for those who rely on levothyroxine treatment, but who are sensitive to any of the fillers or other ingredients, like lactose, gluten, etc., the Tirosint is an excellent option. Please keep in mind that many thyroid patients who are on thyroid hormone replacement treatment have had thyroid cancer, thyroid surgery, radioactive iodine ablation, or long-standing Hashimoto’s that has destroyed their gland’s ability to produce thyroid hormone, and so “natural treatment protocols that get to the underlying cause” of thyroid problems, provided by chiropractors and not physicians, are really not applicable to that audience of patients.

For those who are interested, I’d also suggest reading:
Can Your Hypothyroidism Be Treated Naturally?

October 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm
(20) Dr. Eric says:

Hi Mary,

I agree that not everyone can be helped through natural treatment methods, and that some people do need RAI, thyroid surgery, etc. And many people with hypothyroidism will need to take thyroid hormone for the rest of their life. Being a holistic practitioner I’m admittedly biased at times towards natural treatment methods, but at the same time I understand there is place for both conventional medical treatment and natural treatment methods. So yes, there are times when radioactive iodine and surgery not only are necessary, but should be the first line of treatment.

On the other hand, there are people with thyroid conditions who can have their health restored back to normal, but will never have their opportunity because their medical doctor recommended RAI or thyroid hormone right away, without considering that there just might be an underlying cause. When I was diagnosed with Graves’ Disease for example, nothing was done to even determine the actual cause of my condition, as I was just told to take Methimazole and a beta-blocker, and hope I would go into remission. Similarly, many people with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis when first diagnosed are almost always told to take thyroid hormone for the rest of their life, without any attempt to find out why the person is hypothyroid in the first place.

I did enjoy the article you wrote entitled “Can Your Hypothyroidism Be Treated Naturally?”, and agree with a lot of the points you made.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, as I really enjoy your website, and hope you weren’t at all offended by my comment. My goal is not to persuade people with thyroid conditions to stop taking their thyroid medication and switch to a “natural treatment protocol”, but to just inform them that there may be other options out there to explore.

Take care,

Eric

October 29, 2010 at 4:45 am
(21) Jane McFee says:

Just wondering if Tyrosint is similar or the same as Tyrosine which is a supplement available for thyroid patience

Thanks
Jane

October 29, 2010 at 11:46 am
(22) Heidi says:

I am wondering if I can get some feedback from everyone. I was recently switched to Tirosint (88mcg). I have probably been hypothyroid for almost 8 years. I lost significant hair (about 2/3s of my hair), gained weight and my fingernails became rather ‘witchlike’ – grainy with vertical ridges. I initially tried homeopathic remedies. No result. After the birth of my son (at 39), I suffered a major episode. I finally went to an endo and was put on Synthroid. My TSH levelled out within six months and some hair starting growing back. However, a pharmacy made a mistake and I had a major heart episode following 2 mos. of taking a generic. Got back on track, but my hair growth/loss seemed to cycle. Weight loss never came despite a rigid diet and exercise. I finally gave up and quit taking the medication opting to try herbal support. About a year later, I experienced severe throat issues (lump feeling and hoarseness). Gave in and went back to the endo who did full spectrum testing for celiac, autoimmune, thyroid etc. I was put on a low dose Armour bioequivalent (compounded). After 12 weeks, I began having heart palpitations and irregular heartbeats. I have now been switched to Tirosint. My endo will not exactly say on point, but has indicated I may never lose weight or have my hair grow back. I feel tired, achy (joints/muscles) and ashamed of the weight. I take no other medications.

Has anyone gotten better on thyroid meds and, if so, what have you done to address hair loss, weight gain/inability to lose weight, and general malaise? I am at the end of my rope. Tirosint looks like a filler-free version of Synthroid. To my knowledge, I have tried all combinations of Synthroid, Cytomel, Armour, compounded, etc.

January 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(23) marci says:

are you on mary shomon’s thyroid newsletter!!! it is a must. i was able to insist to my doctor that along with my t4 meds, i get on t3 (cytomel). significant difference!! good luck. don’t give up!!!!!
marci

October 29, 2010 at 7:44 pm
(24) Dr. Richard says:

This is a reply to Heidi (Comment #18) who seems to be in there trying and trying for years. I was sorry to hear that you’ve been so unsuccessful amid trying all the different versions of prescription thyroid, plus homeopathic remedies, and likely lots more. I was especially noting that when things finally started getting a bit better, then “bam” – you were beset with heart symptoms of rapid or irregular beats or palpitations.

What you have described overall seems so much like a combined thyriod/adrenal issue that I just had to comment. Undiagnosed or inadequately treated low cortisol has two main effects for low thyroid sufferers. One is that none of the thyroid medicines will work properly or fully for you. The other is that your thyroid medicine starts giving you heart symptoms, often with a perhaps un-standardized dose of generic, and especially with a T3 source like Armour.

Switching to Tirosint, however, may not be the sought-for long-term solution at all. You may need in addition to have some (more – if already on it) adrenal cortex support. This should go a long way to finally getting you free of these persistent low thyroid symptoms, in spite of being on thyroid medicine. Plus, then you might also be able to get up to the dose of thyroid medicines you need, WITHOUT the resultant heart palpitations.

October 29, 2010 at 8:01 pm
(25) compounding pharmacist says:

To Jane of comment number 17

Please know that Tirosint has nothing more to do with tyrosine, than any other levo-thyroxine product. The brand name is likely a play on word sound, inspired by the fact that all levo-thyroxines, including those made in our own thyroid glands are composed of two tyrosine molecules hooked together. Attached to the tyrosine rings are four atoms of iodine. Thus, the designation T4. Properly take away one atom of iodine, and you are left with T3, active thyroid hormone. Do it improperly, and you can be left with Reverse T3, a chokingly inactive form of thyroid hormone.

November 2, 2010 at 6:09 pm
(26) Sarah says:

My endo just put me on a combination of Tirosint and Compounded Armour (no additives). I was on Synthroid and regular Armour for almost two year and with no improvements. I was experiencing weight gain, fatigue, depression and severe headaches daily. Since starting the new medications, I have to say I am feeling more energy and most of all NO headaches. I’m hoping this is due to pure forms of both T3 and T4. Hope this continues! So far so good.

November 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm
(27) linda says:

I was diagnoised with Gluten Int 2009, have been on synthyrod for many years…but was taken off due to Abbott not able to confirm if gluten is in it. I tried Armour Naturethroid but was having chest pain, dizzy etc. Come to find out I have Addison diease also..so the above comment by Dr Richard could be right on for many. For the Addison’s I have had to try several meds HC/ cortef to get the right med that my body will accept. Medrol is the key so far along with now having to try yet again another thyroid med. Me Endo. suggested Tirosint yesterday, so I will now try this. As I cant tolerate dyes, gluten etc… The Levoxly did ok, but caused so much hair loss….and you would think the armour and naturethroid would be the best but bad reaction I guess due to the Addisons…My Addisons was just diagnoised in Oct. so I guess once that is stable, I can try and get my thyroid correct??? Anyone else like me???

December 6, 2010 at 8:50 am
(28) Ellen says:

I have had Hashimoto’s for about 7 years and have tried a number of different thyroid meds. Most recently I was on Levoxyl and it seemed to keep things under control, but suddenly, I seem to need less. My Doctor thought it could be due to raising my D3 levels to where they should be, but he also thought it could be due to the additives in Levoxyl so we tried Tirosint. Within one week, I felt ever so much better. It also seems to work more quickly due to it’s liquid form. For someone who is sensitive to additives this medication will work great!

Ellen

December 11, 2010 at 7:59 am
(29) Grover Syck says:

Same bad drug, just a new name.

December 20, 2010 at 3:01 pm
(30) J. Sudarsky, MD says:

I am very excited about Tyrosint. As an integrative physician who cares for many excipient sensitive patients, I am thrilled to be able to offer this new, risk free alternative. Finally, a pharma company that gets it! Thanks for getting the word out there.

December 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(31) Renee says:

Just started Tirosint. How long does it take to make a difference? Hoping for miracles. :)

December 31, 2010 at 12:24 am
(32) kendra says:

I just saw an endo for the first time today after I felt my family doctor wasn’t treating my hypothyroidism well.

I was taking Armour Thryoid (135mg) and just added 25 mcg of Levoxyl because my T4 was low. My most resent TSH was like 0.3. (usually it’s above 3 and been as high as 12).

The endo started me on Tirosint – 175 mcg daily and to discontinue Armour. I’m nervous about switching because I’ve read so much positive feedback about Armour.

I’m going to take the Tirosint for 6 weeks then get my bloodwork redone and just see. I’ve never seen an endo before and I’m really hoping this will help with fatigue, hair loss, and weight gain issues.

March 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm
(33) Kendra says:

I just got my test results back from 6 weeks on 175 mcg of Tirosint/daily.

My TSH went from .03 to 4.3!!!! Which my new endo said “was normal” but he is increasing me to 200 mcg just on Sat. and Sunday.

I don’t do well with my TSH at 4.3. Plus I gained 15lbs. in TWO months. I wasn’t dieting but didn’t eat enough to warrant that much of a GAIN.

I’m really disappointed. Will it mess up my system to go back to Armour?

His response was my level’s just need to regulate.

Very frustrating!!!!!

January 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm
(34) Renee says:

Been taking Tirosint for four weeks. Escalating muscle tightness, joint pain and nerve pain. Anyone else experience these symptoms?

January 16, 2011 at 2:22 am
(35) Renee says:

Marci,
Latest test: range .59-1.17 free t4 0 .96
range 2.0-3.7 free t3 2.6
.34-4.82 TSH 5.74

Marci or anyone who knows, is these numbers good or bad? I know the TSH is high It is all over the place. Hashimotos ab’s almost 700.

Just curious what comments on these numbers are.

Thank You!

February 1, 2011 at 9:30 am
(36) Dot says:

I’ve put on 20kgs, lost 75% of my scalp hair. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The doctor said I must take thyroxine tablets for the rest of my life. I lost few pounds. Any chance of getting my hair back???

March 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm
(37) Heather says:

I love Tirosint but cant not get my prescription filled anywher. I have been told that it was on manufactor backorder. Is anyone else having this issue? I would love to know where I can get it.

March 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm
(38) Kari says:

I too have been told its on back order, and have tried multiple places to get it filled. Noone knows when they will get it in.
Anyone have an ETA on when the drugs will be available again?

March 14, 2011 at 2:40 pm
(39) Kendra says:

Just as an update – I saw a new endo last week, after my previous endo switched me from Armour to Tirosint (175mcg daily). My TSH went up to 4.3 from 0.389. I also gained 15lbs. in two months and felt tired and achey.

The new endo put me back on Armour (2 grains daily) and said I shouldn’t be on the Tirosint – doesn’t work for me personally.

I also lost a lot of hair on Tirosint.

August 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm
(40) Kathy says:

I’ve been using Tirosint for the last 3-4 weeks. I had my thyroid gland removed last November after 25 years of progressive Hashimoto’s disease…the gland was stuck tight to my trachea, but I had a great surgeon. I have been struggling with getting my thyroid doses straight (T3 and T4), and the Tirosint made a difference I could feel on the first day…the throat irritation dissipated within hours of taking it. Just trying to get my dosing correct, as I have been making a few mistakes with my timing and I am terribly depressed. It works for me, after 35 years of taking synthyroid. We’ll see if my doc keeps me on the tirosint or puts me backj to the synthyroid.

September 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm
(41) Adrienne says:

I’m very confused about the results I’ve gotten on Tirosint. I have been taking Tirosint (50mcg) for about 5 weeks. I was excited to try it after first being on Synthroid (50mcg) about 6 mos and feeling “ok” and then trying Armour (30mg) (in an attempt to feel better than “ok”!) Armour tripled my TSH and lowered my FT4 (dr didn’t test FT3, I know a big no-no, I’m requesting it from now on) not to mention brought all my symptoms back along with gaining 15 of the 20lbs I lost on Synthroid.

So when my dr told me about Tirosint I thought it was the answer considering I was fine on synthroid, and its like a step above that because of lack of fillers and better absorption (in theory). So why do I not only feel worse hypo-wise but I’m also very depressed and anxious (not the jittery kind of anxious you get with hyper though)?

It doesn’t make any sense. Given there’s so few ingredient I don’t understand how I could have these side effects, unless they are a result of switching from Armour, in which case I don’t know if I can be patient enough to find out! I’m so depressed and I almost quit my job last week! Not something I’d ever do in sound mind…

I’m waiting on lab results from a few days ago but I think I’m going to look for old stores of synthroid in the meantime.

September 1, 2011 at 4:12 pm
(42) Adrienne says:

Oh I almost forgot to mention, in addition to continuation (if not worsening) of my hypo symtpoms I also gained an additional 8lbs in the 5 weeks I’ve been taking Tirosint. So I’m fairly certain the problems I’m having aren’t due to the dose being too high.

September 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm
(43) colleen says:

I took Tirosint for three months. No difference in them compared to Synthroid except COST. I take a 225 dose daily, that is THREE pills a day. WAY too expensive for me even with a reasonable co pay. Synthroid I take two tablets a day. Tirosint needs to get a 200 mcg does. Also, the blister pack is annoying. The pills are IDENTICAL to each other, so if you are filling your pill holder for the week, don’t have all the doors open at once, as they could bounce in the wrong slot and then they are all mixed up. I didn’t renew my rx of this drug. Inconvenient, expensive, and not safe. Sticking with Synthroid.

November 16, 2011 at 11:08 pm
(44) susan says:

Tirosint saved me. I can’t take the microcelulose (binder) in tablets. It is the product in tablets that, I believe, makes my hair fall out and doesn’t absorb so that my body can’t make much T-3. I have been on Tirosint for 6 weeks: I am off the couch, brain fog gone, lost 5 pounds and loosing much less hair and body aches are gone (again microcelulose for me. My pharmacist says he uses microcelulose to bind products to make them time released. Armour has a different formulation the 2 yrs ago and yes again more microcelulose so I couldn’t take it any longer. Will never take anything other than Tirosint….been trying different thyroid medications for 20 years, after thyroidectomy, and this is the best for me.

December 23, 2011 at 2:14 am
(45) MAJ B says:

The study cited here dated June 2011 ( Ther Drug Monit., 33(3):355-61) revealed that Tirosint -the levothyroxine soft capsule formulation met equivalence criteria in terms of rate and extent of exposure under fasting conditions to the Synthroid. Clinically, this study does not indicate better efficacy of Tirosint over Synthroid. As a clinical pharmacist efficacy of Synthoid brand has been demonstrated and documented. Attaining therapeutic level of TSH with levothyroxine takes time and patient must work with the provider to find the right dose.
Most side effects with Levothyroxine- rapid or irregular heartbeat, chest pain, leg cramps, headache, tiredness, sleeplessness, tremors, change in appetite, weight gain or loss etc are due to over-replacement (over-treatment) with levothyroxine I have not read any clinical trial that indicates Tirosint is better than Synthroid. Drug manufacturers are very clever at positioning their product in the market. Tirosint-capsule verse Synthroid tablet. Pharmacologically there is no difference between these two agents. There isn’t any magic medication you MUST not give up on your health problem especially obesity. Work with your provider to tailor your medication need to your problem and be patient.

February 21, 2012 at 8:04 am
(46) Jo Arnemann says:

I have been on Tirosint for 6 months. I told my endocrinologist about this drug having learned other forms of replacement can contain wheat. I have wheat intolerance and other food allergies and TIrosint being free of fillers was a Godsend. . My digestion is better since I am on this form as opposed to synthroid.

February 21, 2012 at 2:34 pm
(47) marthaclone31 says:

I use this and am very happy with it. I like how each pill is sealed and has the day of week, so there is no did I take my pill or not problem. I also like that it is pure and has no dyes or fillers. I feel better and have more energy these days. I have been on throid meds for over 20 years and this is the best one, and I have been on a number of the others. I will never go back to them now that I have Tirosint.

March 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm
(48) Susan_Lynn says:

Hi Everyone. I just switched from Unithroid to the new Tirosint but I’m a bit concerned my Doc may have miscalculated the dose. I previously had to take 2x 50 mcg daily because of my sensitivity to dyes and fillers. My new dose for Tirosint is only 25 mcg. It seems to low.
Thxs.

May 4, 2012 at 7:57 am
(49) Jill says:

I was on generic Levo (Sny) 50 mcg for 6 weeks but had to stop due to huge swelling of L Node in neck – and an old allergy to magnesium stearate (it kills my nails to point they fall off). While on it I had rapid HARD heartbeat/pulse and scary loss of breath feeling. Tried to eat to heal and enpower my thyroid but was worse off than before. So tired I could hardly dress – depressed to point it scared me. So I sent my doc a lot of info. From your site and from John C. Low. I asked her for natl thyroid but worried the calcium Stearate may cause same problems. She won’t prescribe T3 let alone natl T4 so I asked for Tirosint…since it contains no fillers. She increased my dose to 75 mcg and after a week (by FIRST NIGHT!) I was no longer depressed and tired. Amazing! However I cannot eat within hours of taking it – I have been huge with painful bloating if I do.

May 9, 2012 at 10:29 am
(50) jean says:

I have been on this product for over one year. It is much better than using Synthroid, no stomach or intestinal side effects BUT
the pain in the joints especially in the wrists and knees. Makes you feel older than you really are. Constant ache.

No sure if it is worth to continue to take this drug. But if you are not having these side effects, it is one of the best on the market.

May 10, 2012 at 6:25 am
(51) Jill says:

On Tirosint 75 mcg 3 weeks – I am gaining weight! I am scared how soft and BIG my stomach is getting! Lev 50 mcg gave me rapid heartbeat but I lost weight and had energy to spare. I had to get off due to lump in neck and nail loss from it’s fillers. Only one person here lost weight on Tirosint???

June 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm
(52) Pam says:

I’ve been on Tirosint for 1 1/2 and my TSH had stayed within range until early this year…when my blood sugar stabilized, I stopped taking fish oil, and reduced iodine intake. All of a sudden, my BP dropped and the diurnal TSH pattern flip-flopped at times. My TSH had been perfect in the morning…but still high, out of range by late afternoon and through the evening (as far as I know from ER testing…the only way to get it tested then!). A couple of months later…my TSH became abnormal high in the morning and normal later in the day. Last I knew, my cortisol level was perfectly normal in the morning. I started taking Tirosint in ‘divided’ doses @month ago and am not feeling well. I take 100 mcg before bedtime (hoping to get the lowest TSH in the morn) and 25 mcg late morn, early afternoon. I do want to have more sodium iodide than iodine…but so far it’s not working out! My daily dose of Tirosint has been increased from 125mcg 3-4x’s/week and 112mcg the other days but now I’m on 125 mcg/day and still getting hypo symptoms. I suspect that Tirosint is not long-acting enough to sustain through the day! Or it’s screwing up my cortisol levels? Any suggestions?

July 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm
(53) sb12 says:

Announcing a new drug is news I supposed. But it would be helpful to know the benefit of this over the others, if there is any. Is it just too new to know if there are any side effects? Additional info with this type of announcement would be helpful.

July 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm
(54) Sara says:

So does this mean that levothyroxine has gluten in it?

August 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm
(55) kate says:

Tirosint and Sythroid both made my chronic constipation worse. I know Sythroid has acacia and lactose in it, but if Tirosint doesn’t have “fillers”, why is it making this issue so bad for me that I cannot take it anymore? Even with added Amitiza, there is no relief.

September 10, 2012 at 9:52 am
(56) Scott says:

Here is more information about the drug Tirosint that If found interesting.

September 25, 2012 at 11:58 pm
(57) Holley says:

I lost 7 lbs in between my first visit and second after taking this medication and am still loosing slowly. Granted, I have been eating gluten free, but I lost that weight before I cut out gluten. It really worked for me anyway. I also have tons more energy and my sleeping patterns improved. I love it. Hope everyone finds what works for them. I wouldn’t wish how I used to feel on anyone (and I know there are others who have had it way worse than me).

October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm
(58) Pamela says:

T3 is 54 T4 2.4 TSH 139.76 I have become allergic to all my Thyroid Meds.

I started Tirosint yesterday 150 mcg a day, I hope this works. Before I took Armour 120 amd Synthyroid 0.75 a day I am allergic to both of them after taking them for 20 years. My Thyroid still never right.

October 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm
(59) Laura Albiento says:

So far so good after 1 month on Tirosint – no allergy to it, which has been a huge struggle for me when taking thyroid meds.

I love that this drug gets absorbed within 10 minutes as opposed to 1 hour and I seem to have more energy. No fillers OR dyes- wonderful!

I started on thyroid meds due to Hashimotos 15 years ago and the biggest and most immediate side effect for me was a state of constant frustration/irritability along with anxiety.

After food journaling for many months I do feel gluten has a huge effect on those of us battling autoimmune thyroid disease.

You can currently get this drug at Costco for about $19 a month.

Good luck and health to all~

November 26, 2012 at 4:47 pm
(60) Hutch says:

Tirosint has greatly improved the quality of my health and my life. Since 2008, I have been struggling to find the right thyroid medication. My doctor prescribed all available medications, and none of those medications worked for me.

Synthroid and its generic version caused other side effects that were unpleasant. Armour Thyroid did not work for me because of the inconsistencies in the batches. I have been on Nature-Throid for the past four years, but my T4 levels were always low. I refused to go back on Synthroid or its generic version because those drugs made me feel really bad.

In September 2012 (about 2 months ago), my doctor switched me to Tirosint. The results are amazing. Both my T4 and T3 levels are within range. My hair is soft and does not fall out, and my nails are no longer brittle and do not break. Also, once I started taking the desiccated thyroid, I quickly gained 20 pounds. Despite hard aerobic workouts and dieting, I could not lose the extra pounds. However, the extra pounds immediately started dropping off once I started taking Tirosint.

December 1, 2012 at 7:48 am
(61) Mia says:

Tirosint has changed my life drastically…for the better! I was on generic levothyroxine for a year (post TT & cancer) and never felt “right” no matter the dose or my blood levels…and I felt different day to day. Felt like I was losing my mind between the insomnia, extreme fatigue, mood swings, hair loss, itchy skin etc. et. etc. etc. I have allergies to so many foods, meds & environmental things that my doctor FINALLY suggested Tirosint (duh!). Within 3 days of switching I began to feel wonderful: even tempered, good energy levels, slept normally and it felt like a switch had turned on in my body. I was still losing hair but that has improved over the past 6 weeks (i switched 4 months ago) and I have tons of new hair growing in. I heart Tirosint and the pharmaceutical company, Akrimax, is quite tesponsive to customers. There was an availability issue last month and a rep responded to my email within 10 minutes, with a phone call…and then tracked down the Tirosint for me. Incredible :) On another note my mother takes Armour and loves it (after negative ex. w/synthetic levox.) Ir’s all very indi idual…best of luck!!!

December 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm
(62) Epi says:

Poeple must be aware that Tirosint is not only a capsule form of the Levothyroxine Sodium for thryroid treatment, it is also gluten, glucose, lactose ,dye free. Something very important for those poeple with allergies . I have a Hashimoto thyroiditis and I am very allergic to gluten, lactose and dyes ,and my Health Insurance doesnt want to cover it. It takes a great fight to get Health Inusrance to understand the need of coverage on medicines that adjust to patients medical needs. Generic medications are truly causing many side effects people arent aware of and it is resulting in misdiagnosis of depression and other conditons as those generic medications could have dyes and certain chemical components that can cause adverse reactions . People with chemical sensitivities or allergies could be prone to develop these adverse reactions with generic medications. It is important for poeple to know their bodies and pay attention to physical or mood changes when taking medications, so youc an identify possible adverse reactions that could lead to depression or changes in the body chemistry as a result of an adverse reaction or side effect.

December 13, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(63) jewelz says:

I am glad to find something without the fillers…I was taking Nature-throid(dessicated pork thyroid) for 3 yrs and synthetic thyroid for about 10 yrs before that. I have Hash. Thyroiditis and have never felt healthy enough on the meds. My levels go up/down and I felt agitation/chemical vibe on the levothyroxine so I switched to natural thyroid….yet after a few yrs of taking it I started having same problems (levels not regulated). I saw an endo doc. and he said that the natural thyroid was not consistent enough so he wanted to put me back on synthroid. I was low so i agreed but hesitantly due to the dyes and fillers(gmo corn/gluten/lactose/dyes) super nasty stuff that i don’t want in my body since I have tried to hone in on my diet. I am now gluten free and try to eat as much vegetables and whole foods, living/raw foods as possible. I would like to also supplement my adrenal glands. I would like to find a good, natural product to help with that. I know adaptogens are good. I drink Holy Basil Tea(Tulsi) and include ashwaganda in my supplements as well as taking Omega 3/6/9′s daily to help with arthritis and inflammation.

December 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(64) veggiegal says:

Does anyone know if its available in the UK ? Thanks

January 1, 2013 at 11:00 am
(65) Lisa says:

I have been on Tirosint for 8 weeks and I have experienced a great deal of hair loss. I don’t see that it is starting to grow back yet, but the loss seems to be diminishing. I have noticed more muscle aches which is going to become a real problem since I often work standing for 8 hours on cement floors. My hip is so sore I can barely sit on the floor and then get back up again. My nails are a mess. I still have the heart palpitations every day. Not so sure this is the best choice for me, but doc says my numbers are better. I can’t say that this is better or worse than my levothyroxine.

January 3, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(66) Landis says:

I agree with the hair loss and aches/pains in hips, legs, arms. Since being on Tirosint for approximately 6 months the only change from Synthroid in which I was on for 3 years is that my sleep pattern has gotten a lot better. My weight gain is out of control. But the theory as presented to me is thyroid medicine does not cause weight gain. I don’t believe that for one second. Now I am in the process of trying the iodine tablet to see if that will help me with weigh loss.

January 9, 2013 at 3:02 pm
(67) Pamela says:

I have been on Tirosint 137mg started 10-18-12
So for all my levels are great. Thats has never happend in 20 years.

January 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm
(68) Kellye says:

Hello all,
I have Hashimoto’s and was on Armour for years. My hair was still falling out, my nails were breaking, my energy levels were iffy, and I had acne on my face, neck, and back. I went to my endo and she put me on Tirosint. Two days after starting the medicine I had a huge lump form on my right knee. Then, more incredibly painful lumps starting showing up on my calves, shins, and breasts. I stopped the Tirosint and after a week all of the lumps were gone. Apparently I am not the normal patient and this is not a normal reaction but this really freaked me out and had me wondering where else lumps might have been that I couldn’t see. Just thought I’d throw out my really weird reaction in case anyone else experiences the same thing.

February 5, 2013 at 9:25 pm
(69) Lindsey says:

Hello, my name is Lindsey and I really appreciated all your thoughts. It has really helped me understand my symptoms a lot better. I am on levothyroxin 50 mcg and have been for about 6 to 8 months. I have been experiencing weight gain which I have never had issues with before. I definately don’t want it to get worse. Other symptoms fatigue but not to the level of some of the other people. Brain fog, which is beyond annoying. dry skin but no hair loss yet. I have been reading about the importance of regulating t3 levels. I’m not sure I understand how that works. Also how often should I be checking my t3 and t4 levels? Thanks.

February 6, 2013 at 4:23 pm
(70) sweets says:

Surprised none of the Doctors nor Pharmacist mentioned this: (most especially the compound Pharm doc.)

Levoxyl .50 mcg. has no dyes or lactose in it. Shocked many of you don’t know this. But, I guess when doctors and Pharma doc’s don’t tell you I can now understand how you don’t know.

I started using the .50mcg (white) because of that, but also it allows me to adjust my T4 med’s as needed. After 15 years you know your body and it’s needs. I take half of my .50 in the evening and the other half with my compounded T3 in the very early morning. (at 5:30 am when my hubby’s alarm clock goes off…then I go back to bed.)

February 10, 2013 at 8:15 am
(71) Janice Parker says:

Tirosent looks like a gel cap. However, when I cut mine it was a hard capsule that able to be cut in half. No liquid inside.

February 23, 2013 at 7:49 am
(72) Bertha B says:

I just started my Tirosint 2/23/2013, im deeply moved at reading all the comments from women at the same journey as me. The hope that this medicine will agree in every way. I felt it as soon as i took it @ 4:30am in my stomach a cramping like, since then i woke up and i do still feel minor different things, not alarming just different. We’ll see what tomorrow will be like. For, here’s to today. Continuing Thanking God for being alive. Grow hair grow.

February 25, 2013 at 1:57 pm
(73) lexi says:

I switched from Armour to Acella NP Thyroid by Acella.. Great.. It is like the old Armour of years ago.. and cheaper..

February 26, 2013 at 4:10 pm
(74) Judy says:

I take this about 4 or 5 am and go back to sleep. It seems to be the only med that makes me feel alive again, not that dead tired I used to feel before the end of the day. It hasn’t helped with any weight loss but I’d never to back to any of the other synthetic ones.

March 31, 2013 at 10:39 pm
(75) Sally says:

I’ve been reading everyones comments with interest. I have been on 50mcg of Synthroid since I was 18. Always overweight. Only 5’2” and 150+ and keep going up. Now at 62 and menopause it has really gotten worse. Have had the same dosage for years ! Went to an Endo last year and was put on .05 mcg of Cyctomel the T3 med really helped my hair and nails, sleep and moods. But not the weight ! Just in Dec 2012 she changed me from Synthroid to Tirosint and feel really good with more energy. I used to drag my self around feeling tired all the time. With 2 exercise classes and careful food intake I finally lost 5 lbs during the holidays but with the Tirosint it went right back on. Anyone know what other hormone issues I should get checked ? Thanks ALL

April 23, 2013 at 9:27 am
(76) Gwen says:

I was on Armour but never felt good, jiggers and palpitations. The doctor kept trying to regulate the dosage, so I saw an Endro and was given levothyroxine 25 mcg. Started in Dec 2012 and was feeling ok until my second refill, now my muscles ache, palpitations are back and not feeling energized, just doing enough to make it through. After reading all of the comments, I am really confused whether to ask for Tirosint from my Endro
Or my Holistic physician. I don’t want to gain any weight, I want what others want; just to feel better, no more itchy skin, palpitations, no weight gain, just back to normal. Help me.

April 29, 2013 at 6:35 pm
(77) jackie bennett says:

After reading all the comments I am more worried. I am extremely
sensitive to most medications. I take a childs dosage of anxiety meds.
I am in the same boat, weight gain, exhaustion, hair loss, poor nails
and mood swings. I can’t help but wonder what all the endosare missing
when so many of us have the same issues. It would be great if a doctor
would comment on our issues.

May 3, 2013 at 12:12 pm
(78) Sue Benton says:

I was on Synthyroid for 30+ years, same dosage .125 and my PCP started changing the dosage because of my blood test results. Since then I’ve had terrible upper leg pain. My dosage was changed to Generic 100 mcg and within 4 days my leg/hip pain was so bad I couldn’t walk. My PCP put me back on Synthyroid 125mcg. With much frustration I went to an Endo and explained the situation. She put me on Levoxl 112 and my leg pain subsided some but has not gone away. With my last lab results my doctor reduced my dosage to 100 and again I had terrible leg pain that I immediately went off this medicine. My doctor has now changed me to Tirosint and after reading all these comments I hesitant to try it. I can not take the chance of losing hair or gaining weight. The weight gain has bee a continued struggle since being diagnosed with Hypothyroid. I am so frustrated and all my doctors are in disbelief that the leg pain is from the thyroid medicine. Anybody else experiencing these symptoms. Some days I can barely stand the pain to walk around my office at work.

May 6, 2013 at 9:00 pm
(79) darla says:

Hi Sue, I was on armour for about 30 yrs and then they reformulated and my body would not obsorb it. So my Dr. gave me levoxyl. Within 4 days wasI hurting so bad in my hips and legs that I had to stop it. I am on tirosint now and I am not hurting at all. I have only been on it for 1 month. so I may heve to adjust the dosage when I get my labs done, but it may work well for you. It is the fillers and binders that cause people pain most of the time.

May 15, 2013 at 3:23 pm
(80) Dee says:

I am wondering if this would work for patients with Graves disease?

I am one of the many i am sure that is being affected by Levoxyl being pulled off the market. I have graves autoimmune disease (treated in 2005 by radiation of my thyroid) and was on Levoxyl for 7 years, placing my graves to go into remission, when my pharmacist decided to save me money by switching me to the generic. This caused my grave to come out of remission, causing major issue for me once again. The Levoxyl seems to be the only thing that levels everything out for me and would love it if this would do that. i have a call into my Endo office right now and will ask if this is an option.

May 17, 2013 at 6:01 pm
(81) J. Shallberg says:

I have been on Tirosint for two weeks and the cost is prohibitive since I need two tabs per day for correct dosage. Costco filled them, $62 for 28 days worth. I ache more than before and am tired, but am very hopeful that hair loss is not happening more than before. Thyroid has been removed for just over a year, wish I had it back as it was working, nodules were huge. Have used generic Rogaine sprayed on hair, which has counteracted some of my hair loss, for years. Nails are slightly improved, but wish I had read about thyroid med troubles before my surgery, I would have delayed it. Weight will not budge even on fasting-type diet. Thanks for keeping us apprised of your reactions to this drug. Much appreciated.

May 23, 2013 at 10:27 am
(82) Barbi says:

I, too, am one who has been deeply affected by the recall of Levoxyl. After years of taking synthroid and only ever feeling “ok”, I tried Levoxyl and immediately felt better. All the anxiety, itchy skin, muscle twitches, extreme fatigue, body aches, shortness of breath, brittle hair , scalp pain, acne and headaches went away or lessened. Now I’m back on synthroid and it’s all slowly coming back. I’m hesitant to try Tirosint, but I already know I don’t do well on synthroid. I’ve also tried cytomel and armour…both caused terrible heart palpatiations and anxiety. Am wondering if I should bite the bullet and ask my doctor for a Tirosint rx. Wish Levoxyl would just miraculously re-appear so I could go back to what I know works.

May 28, 2013 at 2:31 pm
(83) ADEM says:

I just started Tirosint about 5 days ago. I haven’t had any setbacks yet but do feel a little bit of leg cramping/tingling. I asked my doctor to start me at 75mcg (base on readers comments to start off on a lower dosage) – i was on 88mcg for a long time on Levoxyl.
I have Grave’s Disease, been in remission (if you call it that) for 10 years now.
Disappointed that this recall happened but can’t change that. It’s hard that we depend so much on a little pill.

Curious to know how other folks are doing with Tirosint? Do you have to take T3 or are you just surviving enough on T4?

I haven’t been on Tirosint long enough yet and my bloodwork isn’t for another 8 weeks. Fingers crossed!

May 28, 2013 at 6:48 pm
(84) Trish says:

Any updates on hair loss subsiding after a certain period of time?

I have been taking Tirsosint for almost a month now and I am now starting to lose hair again like I did before I got diagnosed with Hashimoto’s. Lots of hair. This is really disheartening. My hair loss had thankfully stopped with Levoxyl which I was on for over a year. Before that I was a hot mess on Synthroid. Good times that included spontaneous tossing of cookies. Can’t tell ya how much I hate Synthroid.

It’s not just the hair loss that worries me, though that’s a really big issue-I’ve had to cut my hair short just to escape some of that creepy feeling of long hair sliding down my back in the shower and coming out in my hands just when I barely touch my head. It’s the fact that hair loss is a sign that my body is not well again. I am desperately hoping that it just takes more time for the Tirosint to kick in especially while I still have some hair left on my head. Any one else go through a period of hair loss and have it stop when starting Tirosint?

May 29, 2013 at 2:23 pm
(85) Becky says:

Levoxyl was great until mfg stopped. I am going to try Tyrosint. Tried synthroid and had side effects of low thyroid.
A word of advise-don’t ingest anything except distilled or purified water for an hour after taking T4. Aquafina doesn’t add anything to their water-Dasani does… No coffee or tea. Wait to brush your teeth. I keep my pill by the bedside in the event I wake during the morning before I have to get out of bed. That way I can have coffee when I’m up.

May 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm
(86) Cindy says:

It has been very interesting reading all your comments. I have been on Levoxyl for 20+ years and was very disappointed with the recall. My endo doc put me on a generic levothyroxine and within 3 weeks I had broken out in a terrible itchy rash. I can’t be 100% sure that the generic was the cause but the timing seemed to correlate. She wants me to try Tirosint and is giving me a sample tomorrow. Some of the comments have made me very hesitant about trying it, but I will give it a go. I have called several pharmacies in my area and most of them have no idea what it is. Our Costco pharmacy said they didn’t carry it, but I noticed a post stating that someone got it at their Costco for around $60 a month, which seems very high to me. I’ve never felt completely “well” even on Levoxyl.

May 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm
(87) Aimlesswriter says:

If your experiencing cramps, rapid heartbeat, or any unusual symptoms that usually means your dosage needs to be adjusted. Call your doctor and get some blood work done.

May 30, 2013 at 2:46 am
(88) Nancy says:

I am 48 years old and I have been on Levoxyl for 8 years now. My dose before it was no longer available (2 months ago here in Washington State) was 100 mcg. My pharmacy switched me to Synthroid 100 mcg and I have been taking it for the last 7 weeks. I feel horrible. I could seriously sleep all day. No motivation, brain fog, so so depressed. My weight was finally under control before the switch and now I have put on at least 10 pounds in the last seven weeks with no change in diet or exercise. Thankfully, I have not experienced any noticeable hair loss yet. However, I would take hair loss over this constant tired, foggy feeling any day. I have no interest in anything. I usually love Summer but am just dreading it this year as I am so tired and sad.

May 31, 2013 at 1:28 pm
(89) Kim says:

I discovered this comment stream and the other one regarding the Levoxyl recall/stop in mfg. because I’m trying to research on my own what to do now. I have to tell you, I am learning things that have NEVER been discussed with me by my doctor. Do I have a ridge in my thumb nail and the loss of one toenail because of a new sensitivity to a filler in the Levoxyl? I felt so much better with the Levoxyl. I blamed thesethings on the fact that I am a woman who is 50 years old and the old hormones are probably fluctuating. Now I read hot flashes may not be perimenopause. How do we distinguish whether its thyroid or other hormones fluctuating? I’ve been on Levoxyl for 13 years. I am very nervous about switching again. It took me three years of serious diet and exercise to get my weight back down and that was after being on the Levoxyl for six years. so, it took nine years total to get my weight back down. Not to mention all the other yucky symptoms of low TSH levels, in my case. I thought Tirosint would be the closest to Levoxyl since it has the fewest fillers, but after reading all your posts, I’m just as nervous about this medication as any generic!

June 5, 2013 at 9:56 am
(90) Dawn Cowan says:

I too have been on many different thyroid medications and found that for me the ONLY drug that has worked has been Levoxyl! I was on Levoxyl for the past 5 years with the best results ever…..i too thought that by taking Tironist since there are no fillers would be the best option as my endocrinologist stated it would be my best option. After only two weeks, I feel horrible!!! i am depressed, anxious, extreme fatigue. And I know that I have to wait 6 weeks to get my bloodwork to see what my levels are. At this point, I dont know if I am overmedicated or under medicated just know that I feel awful. I do know for sure that once Levoxyl comes back on the market and if the pharmaceutical company keeps the same formulation I am definitely switching back to it!!! Im so angry that this has happened and that we have to suffer through changing meds and awful symptoms!

June 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm
(91) chris says:

@ Dawn,
Was curious what dose of Levoxyl you were on and what dose you switched to of Tirosint? I wouldn’t wait for the 6 weeks to test, I would call your doc ASAP and tell him of the symptoms……sounds to me like you’re overmedicated……or at the very least, it is not a good fit for you.

June 10, 2013 at 1:55 pm
(92) ADEM says:

I agree with Chris, @ Dawn, need to get your blood check as soon as you can. I have been on Tirosint for 3 weeks now and I’ve been doing ok so far (knock on wood). Based on reading comments from differet websites, they say to start off at lower doses of Tirosint because it’s more fast acting (gel cap) then the Levoxyl. I was originally on 88 mcg but started on 75mcg with Levoxyl.

Any other folks out there doing OK on Tirosint? Anyone needing to take T3 as well?

June 10, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(93) ADEM says:

Update, sorry I meant I started at 75 mcg Tirosint.

June 10, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(94) Chris says:

@ Adem,
Doing research about Tirosint to see if it would help me. Currently on 88 syn. and 5 T3. Just started lowering my T3, something is causing anxiety, so starting with that. I have a friend who was doing cytomel and a T4 (can’t remember which one), she dumped the T3 and switched to Tirosint. With this med she is doing so much better, and is converting fine.

I have a theory, maybe some of the thryoid drugs actually suppress the conversion to T3. Sure is proving true with my firend.

Have you noticed any difference at all with this med. My friend actually increased her tirosint again. Seems to be the path,”start low go slow”.

June 12, 2013 at 12:12 am
(95) ADEM says:

@Chris, so far I haven’t notice any changes, luckily. Been tired but I think it’s from lack of sleep and work. Lol!
I keep waiting for that muscle cramp and night sweats that I used to get but o far so good. I’ve done well without having to supplement with T3. I was curious because I’ve notice other folks comments that they need to supplement T3 while taking tirosint.
Been taking it for 22 days but who’s counting? :-)
I did have slight stomach cramping when I first take it in the mornings but it goes away after a few minutes.
I’ve tried generic and it wreak havoc on me after a few days…it was awful.

I will for sure update after I finish the 28 day pack and blood work next month….keep us posted too. Good luck and fingers crossed.

June 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm
(96) Chris says:

@Adem
Thanks so much for your update. I wish there was a way on here to get notifications of a response, I think it’s a great place for comments.

Happy to hear how well it is working for you, good to know the cramping goes away. Wonder what the outcome would be taken with food? Probably a need for a higher dose.

I am very interested in how your labs come out, so please do report back.. And thank you for the well wishes.

Best to you.

June 19, 2013 at 9:21 pm
(97) marion addessa says:

I started takingtirosint today because they took levoxy off the market I was onlevoxyl for about 15 years I hope this new drug is okay my doctor say it is the same as levoxyl I had problems with hair falling out and other issues I hope this is better for me if anyone can gie me advice I would gladly appreciated it thank you

June 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(98) Teresa says:

Look ladies I found out from an ultrasound that the left side of my thyroid was removed surgically the tech said while doing my ultrasound after years of telling my doctor that i didnt feel good on the levothyroxine or the eltroxin i said its not working as i went from 120 lbs to 180 lbs and i gave up. I said i dont feel well on those pills my eyes constantly were burning my hair felt like it was on fire i still fell alseep everywhere and to boot i was in a dead stare after taking this med. I had chest pain . He sent me to a specialist for thyroid , she squeezed my neck and pretty well told me to shut up and take the pills she said i dont even think you have a thyroid problem she sent me for that ultrasound when i found out i have only a half of one . before she sent me she said i gained weight because im going thru menopause and fat and lazy gave me Merida and booked me into clinic for weight loss to which i never went . The merida is on recall and gave me chest pain like a heart attack. So i go back to my daoctor and demanded i go back to my allergist for tests on thyroid med . Get this Im allergic to both eltroxin and levothyroxine synthroid , my t4 was 18.0 i know thats not normal they tell me its in my head , so my allergist the only good doctor diagnosed me with wheat/soy allergy as well as thyroid med so im on cytomel 25 mg dropped 45 lbs but i cannot afford the med its 51.00 canadian so im on nothing right now Oh well :(

June 20, 2013 at 11:38 pm
(99) ADEM says:

@Teresa, sorry to hear about your struggles…your doc doesn’t seem to be very sympathetic or helpful…find a new one if you can.

Is another good forum to read. Karen Gardner and c.r have been very informative…tons of research and maybe when you find a doctor that will listen they can help with your issues along with your meds. Fingers crossed for you!

@marion, I’ve been on Tirosint for 30 days and have been doing well. Blood work is next month and I’m curious to see my numbers. Keep us posted on how you are doing. The above link I mentioned s very informative. Good luck and I things work well.

@Chris, hope you are doing OK.

July 5, 2013 at 10:35 am
(100) Jay says:

I have been on Synthroid for 12 years. I guess I was OK but never really the same as when I had a working thyroid. I switched to Tirosint because I had a friend that did great on it and even lost 40 lbs! I have been on it for 3 weeks now and this is what I’m noticing: I kind of want to hang out in bed. I feel lazy. My hair seems to falling out a lot! I have achy joints. Here is the really strange thing, my overactive bladder symptoms have gone away. Explain that one. Now I’m torn. I don’t really like how I feel on Tirosint. I don’t even know why I feel different if its an interchangeable med with Synthroid. But it’s really nice not having to pee all the time. Strange. Anyone else noticed something similar?

July 17, 2013 at 8:25 am
(101) Carmen Frenkel says:

For the last few years have had negative reactions to all thyroid medications including a compounded T-3. Finally as of about five months ago I have not been able to take any thyroid mediation. I was told several years ago that I have Adrenal burnout. The reaction to thyroid mediation was to feel very fatigued for several hours and then late in the day feel a lot better (?) An ND tried an adrenal cortex fractions and after one tab I felt weakened again so I stopped. I have heart pounding and some racing during this last year after exposure to severe amounts of mold in our home. (May be just coincidence) Tirosint was just prescribed. (pray) An ultrasound in November 12 and June 123 showed a very tiny thyroid and a small small nodule (no concern and no change after 8 months and two tests later. Sleep is poor even with 5HPT and Gaba. I would like to get my life back on track. I would very much appreciate your input. All of this is such a drag on my husband as well. (I was on Thyrolar-2 for a number of years until symptoms showed up about 6 years ago and I ceased usage.) Thank you for your time. Carmen

July 17, 2013 at 9:09 am
(102) Carmen Frenkel says:

I hope Tirosint will help me. I am trying this morning. Starting about 6 years ago I was not able to tolerate the Thyrolar-2 I had been on for several years. Eventually every thyroid medication I tried caused severe weakness which lasted until late in the day an then I will feel much better (?) I have been told by an MD/ND years ago that I have Adrenal burnout. Tried Adrenal Cortex Fractions once and had weakness as well so I stopped.
I will take a medication and become resistant to it.
Starting mid 2012 I began to have heart pounding during the night. Sometimes a fast heart rate. Have had high bp which has not really been under complete control. We had severe mold in our home and was told I had toxic mold poisoning in December 2012 along with allergies to much in my environment along with a fast 20 weight loss (a symptom of mold poisoning) The only bp med that worked was Losartan and the Metoprolol I had been taking for about 11 years. I am really praying this will help me get my life back on track. Ultra sound showed very tiny thyroid and a minute nodule – no change after 2 tests so we are leaving it alone at this time. Tried compounded T-3, synthroid, naturethroid.
Can you shine some light one this situation. I would really appreciate your feedback. Thank you, Carmen

July 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm
(103) jgp says:

I believe there is something missing in the science behind thyroid problems. I was diagnosed with Grave’s and Hashimoto’s when I was 20(37 years ago). Yes, you can have them both at the same time…all of the symptoms at the same time. I ended up having the thyroid ablated because of a cardiac episode that hospitalized me for 10 days. The assurance was that I would be better and more ‘even’ on meds.
None of them have worked well. Tirosint is making me feel terrible.
I think, especially after reading all these comments, that scientist are missing something. I take excellent care of myself. Eat organic (over 20 years), am a ballet teacher (so I know the weight gain is not from my diet).
I also have RA and had severe endometriosis. I find the symptoms for the other diseases have always been greater if the thyroid is off. I think scientists and doctors need to go back and really study the effects of this master gland with the knowledge we now have, instead of 60-70 year old text book knowledge. Especially since there are predictions of thyroid problems escalating globally. Will someone please research this? I think any one of us writing would help out if it meant figuring this puzzle out!

July 23, 2013 at 9:24 pm
(104) Linda Skipper says:

Tirosint is the best of the T4 drugs and has the least additives or binders but many insurance companies will not cover it. Just went to the pharmacy and they raised their prices but DOUBLE. Don’t know what to do now that Levoxyl is not even available anymore. Synthroid I am allergic to as well as Armour and Naturethroid.

July 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm
(105) Wanda says:

FYI, the .05 mcg dose of Synthroid has no dyes. Many people who are sensitive to dyes take the .05 mcg pill or pills to equal their dose (two .05 mcg pills for .10 mcg, instead of one .10 pill, for instance).

July 31, 2013 at 9:12 pm
(106) rose says:

this triosint is a scam to increase the cost of thyroid medication. first they take levoxyl off the market and then this new great triosint. Then three months later the double the price. Little do people know that pfizer makes both of these medications. AKRIMAX, the maker of triosint, is owned by pfizer. Well they can take this medication, box and all and shove it up their………… If I pay this much for thyroid medication it will be to a different company. The greed of the pharmaceutical companies gets more and more outrageous all the time

August 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm
(107) Liz says:

It’s great to read how the change from Levoxyl to triosint has made others feel. I was on Levoxyl for 10yrs. and usually had very few side effects. Just started triosint 150mcg and am feeling very fatigued. Waiting to find out my lab results but wish levoxyl would come back in circulation.

August 1, 2013 at 5:47 pm
(108) Linda says:

I am very angry i went to fill my presciption for Tirosint and it has double in price! so I can no longer take it!!….I talked to my insurance company and they told me that Synthroid is the generic form and it is cheaper,,,,,I do not consider synthroid to be equal to Tirosint AT ALL!!, I have tried synthroid several times with really bad results!! I gained wieght I was depressed , I was so happy when they came out with what I call a cleaner thyroid medication, for the first time in a long time I felt really good, I’m talking years!! I have been on antidessant for about 20 years and I felt like if I would have had this medication to help with my thyroid level I might not have needed to be on antidepressants in the first place,,,,,why did they have to raise the price of Tirosint!?! ………because it works so good they know people are going to need it!!! These Drug Companies are To Damm Greedy!!!

August 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm
(109) Kolene Graham says:

WOW!!!! I can’t believe I found comments about people like me. I’ve felt like giving up and DYING since my Thyroidectomy! (Nov. 2012) I ALWAYS have a headache, dizziness, severe deprssion where I’m lucky I can, move or take a shower…….jumpy, twitchy, yadda, yadda……..Synthroid stinks (has been changed 6 times) and so, does the generic brand. When you go to the ER, they look at you as if you’ve LOST IT!!!! My Endo is out if the country but, her assistants will talk to her tomorrow and I will try this new medicine. I pray it works!!!!!

August 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm
(110) Kolene Graham says:

If I knew then, what I know know………the goiter would’ve been the only thing my doc removed :-(

August 6, 2013 at 5:17 pm
(111) Christie says:

I am crying as I have read through all of the comments! I am both amazingly relieved and distressed to know so many people are going through the very same emotions. I have been struggling to understand my hasimotos for almost 4 years! I can barely sallow around the lump in my throat most of the time. I have recently stopped taking my levothyroxine, I cannot take another moment of……everything! I have asked my doctor what is wrong with me soooo many times, only to be told, along with the “your a hypochondriac” look my levels are fine. I finally just called an endo and made an appointment without a referral. She is putting me on tirosint and I too am hoping for a miracle! I go see my doctor tomorrow and am taking along a printed copy of all of the comments for him to read himself! Will he care? probably not, but I now, thanks to all of your comments, have the strength to TELL him what I want or I am willing to move on!
Thanks to all who comment, your words reach others and we pass it along.
Good luck to all of us!

August 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm
(112) Luda says:

DR put me on thyroid medication 50 Levoxyl mg to treat my anemia must be over 7 years ago.
My anemia disappear for 1/2 year and came back, but I was not removed from pills,instead dosage went to 100mg.
About 4 month ago, I collapsed for 2 month(migraine, muscle spasm, and positional vertigo)and than Levoxyl disappear from the market,I try generic and Synthroid(my body reject them)I asked my endo to switch on Tirosint, she told me, that with thyroid like mine; she is not sure why I am sitting on the pills and took me out for 2m. then blood test
In the while I start to have inflammation in my face, hands, legs (which I have for the years when I was on LEVOXYL) WAY TOO STRONG.
2 week ago I fainted in the morning and I got blurry vision for 1/2day.I call to my PP and Endo and did blood work 1 week earlier TSH 127.60(T4)=0.8 T3 =39,following day all letters show up twice ( double vision). my eyes was so puffy and heavy, look like they drop down from the face.

Endo told me that my thyroids is dead, and finally put me on 100 mm Tirosint , but for first 5 day to take 200mm a day took 14 so far.
Eye exam show that for 4 month since I done my routine eye check my long distance changed from -1 to +.75. The problem is, that my vision rapidly changing during the day. When I treat my eye and remove some puffiness, I start to see better again. My Endocrinologist not sure if it all related, but all what she say, that if it is, it could take from couple weeks to couple month until I will get stable again.

If anyone had similar experience, I am afraid to spoil my eyes with wrong prescription glasses . Any advice would be very much appreciated.

August 15, 2013 at 10:35 am
(113) Gloria says:

I have been taking tirosint for about a year I have not see any results I hardly have any lashes the weight gain and the dry skin loss of hair hardly any ebrow brain fug puffy eyes my Dr say that my t4 is where is supposed to be but they never check for the t3 I have ask why can they check it he said that they do not check for it I am confuse I think that they need to check it can some tell me what can I do please help

Gloria

August 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm
(114) Julie says:

I have been on Synthroid, Armour, Armour with levothyroxine, Levoxyl, Tirosint, and will start Unithroid tomorrow. Synthroid did nothing for me except made my hair fall out. Armour was too much T3 so I was “wired and tired”. Levoxyl was great from the perspective of finally getting balanced. I still had hair falling out though. When that was recalled, I was put on Tirosint. First, 75 mcg, then 50 mcg, then a rotation between the 2 every other day. I felt the worst on Tirosint than any other. Gained weight, total exhaustion, extreme joint pain, tendonitis, and hot flashes. my Endo said I was having hypo and hyper symptoms. Luckily, she listened to what I was experiencing and not my levels because they were good. I’m starting Unithroid tomorrow. I don’t have much hope but hypo symptoms are too bad to just give up. Maybe drug companies should stop focusing on the latest ED drug and focus on something that affects EVERY part of the body!

August 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm
(115) Chika says:

I switched from levoxyl to tirosent in june 2013. It’s really working for me though, I have not done a blood work since I started taking it yet but my main concern, is that it’s really expensive. I pay $60.30 for just 28 days supply of which am not sure if I can afford it this month. Please, is there any way the price can be cut down for me?

August 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(116) Jenny says:

I have a different issue than it appears anyone else has here… in 2005 i had a gastric bypass… then in 2008 had a total thyroidectomy…. They can’t get my levels to straighten out no matter what i take. I have been on Synthroid, Armour, Levothyroxine… in May of this year i was taken to the hospital with heart attack symptoms only to find that it was my thyroid levels (29.2) that were causing the upset. After that i was put on Tirosint in the hopes that the “liquid” for would help me absorb the medication better ( i take in in the morning before breakfast ) … I was put on 150 mcg of Tirosint… and my levels have come down to 8.02… so they are once again upping my dosage to 200 mcg once per day. I feel about as good as I did on the levothyroxine but I’m just do dang tired of feeling crappy that even when i feel good i am waiting for the other shoe to drop. This is horrible to live this way…:( bummed… hoping for the best on the new dosate…

August 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm
(117) europeana says:

I am using tirosint. It is awesome! The doc said he only trusts this med because this has the least fluctuation in the hormon strength. Its made in Switzerland by a company called Akrimax. It is also absorbed a lot better into your system since it is a gel cap. It looks like a small vitamin D. I will never go back to the generic levothyroxine. My hair was falling out I gained weight and felt awful until my doc put me on this medication. I felt the difference within 10 days.

August 25, 2013 at 11:22 pm
(118) Paul says:

I’m no fan of synthetic T4 but realize that some folks do benefit from it. (For most, it’s wrecked their lives.)

For those who prefer Levothyroxine over a natural desiccated thyroid med, I just noticed that PurchasePeptides carries T4 (levothyroxine) 400 mcg per ml x 30 ml for $26.50. They also sell a little measured dropper (75 cents).

I’m not affiliated with them, I just purchase one of their peptides. Their products are quality and the company itself is reliable.

liquid http://www.purchasepeptides.com/buy-research-liquids/buy-t4-levothyroxine-400-mcg-per-ml-x-30-ml/

September 5, 2013 at 9:38 pm
(119) Jeff55 says:

Having no thyroid I struggled to find the “sweet spot” trying to feel somewhat normal.
Sandoz was the only brand that met my needs concerning bioavailability.
When Sandoz was no longer available in the U.S. the game was on once again.
We are seeking a weekly value not a daily dose to feel well.
My doctors know that I am proficient at finding the magic “sweet spot” and I self adjust until I find it.
I am autoimmune and deal with it. Anyone that can understand “pain makes you beautiful” knows that one good day is like riding the perfect wave.
With Tirosint I was able to hit the mark quickly. For me it is perfect and you are very aware quickly concerning adjustments.
I hit the spot alternating daily doses. 300mcg – 150mcg – 300mcg – 150mcg – 300mcg and so on.
I pray that this med never vanishes like Sandoz brand did in the U.S. !
FWIW I am 59 and male and been without a thyroid for 6 years.

September 26, 2013 at 10:44 am
(120) Loni says:

i have been on 150 mcg Tirosint for six months and wow what a difference it has made for me. I feel so much better, hair is finally growing back in, no allergic reaction like I had with Synthroid and the generic brand.

September 30, 2013 at 6:16 pm
(121) BB says:

where is this pharmacy selling Tirosent for $29.99? My Walmart pharmacy sells this dosage for $87.00.

October 14, 2013 at 10:29 pm
(122) Lindsey says:

Can anyone comment on current dosages of tirosint compared to what they were on prior? I am starting it and am terrified of going hyper.

October 17, 2013 at 9:53 am
(123) Meesa says:

I’m switching to Tirosint soon after months on generic never making me anywhere near normal. (I’m either severely hypo, or go hyper quickly, and I follow the instructions to take it to a T) Here’s hoping it helps!

November 9, 2013 at 12:54 am
(124) Rina says:

Hallo
Can you tell me will Tyrosint be available in South Africa. Thanks

November 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm
(125) Elizabeth Aitken says:

will it be available in the uk/ Scotland

November 20, 2013 at 10:06 am
(126) Kolene Graham says:

I’m starting it today after a year of Synthroid working/not working. I’ve been through HELL with this the last year. I just want to feel normal again. I feel so rotten it’s unbearable.

November 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm
(127) dolores storr says:

I have been on tirosint o.o88 mg for about 5 months i feel good except for horrible foot cramps that are getting worse, has any one else had this expierence

December 4, 2013 at 11:07 am
(128) Kristin says:

For those taking Tirosint, there is a coupon on the manufacturers website you can print monthly for $10 off your medication. Doesn’t fix the fact that this medication DOUBLED in price, but it can at least help a little to lower the cost.

December 6, 2013 at 2:08 am
(129) Julie Grayson says:

Was on Levoxyl for 10 years. Felt ok or accepted that feeling. Since discontinued- I have been on a roller coaster ride. Synthroid in one day made throat swell and hurt, could barely swallow. Had a few Levoxyl left, throat cleared immediately, went back to Synthroid, couldn’t swallow, throat hurt. Then on Levothyroxine, hair fell out, leg cramps, lost weight, down to 103 pds., sleeping schedule changed, couldn’t eat. Tired, out of breath. Endo changed dose and then changed dose back. Hair falling out bad. Then switched to Tirosent. Hair falling out worse. Leg cramps stopped, out of breath stopped. Headaches started, trembling of hands started. Hard to sleep at night with nightmares. Stay up late and sleep late into afternoon. Appetite still compromised. After almost 3 weeks, I THINK hairloss MAY be a little less. Too early to tell. Putting all the hair in a pile to bag up and take to Endo on next appointment. Crazy? Lol. I have a lot of short hair sticking up on my head, maybe some is growing back. Hand trembling is embarrassing. Had Grave’s Disease treated with radioactive ioidine years ago. I wish someone could figure out a way for us to all join together and GET LEVOXYL BACK! My life has changed dramactically with medicine changes. Tirosent has worked better for ME than Synthroid or Levothyroxine, but not as well as Levoxyl. I don’t understand so much difference in meds that they claim to be so much the same!!!!

December 7, 2013 at 10:41 pm
(130) Raquel Aceves says:

I have started Tironsint 2 days ago and I wondered if my symptoms of nauseous, sudden tremors associate with the nauseous, tired, sleepy, and headache (my temples.) I shoveled the snow last night and wonder if it is the activity I had of the new medicine making me feel sick?

December 8, 2013 at 1:06 am
(131) scully says:

I have taken Armour thyroid, generic levothyroxine, and had been taking Synthroid 112 with cytomel 5MCG. My doc switched me to Tirosint 112 & kept me on the 5MCG of cytomel about 3 weeks ago. I am starting to feel better & way less hair loss.

December 14, 2013 at 9:13 pm
(132) z says:

Thank you Jesus! I finally found a thyroid medication that works for me, I feel so much better. No more hyperthyroidism symptoms..im feeling so much better.

December 29, 2013 at 11:48 pm
(133) Nicole says:

I have Hashi’s. My doc switched me to Tirosint after trying synthroid, Armour, cytomel, a compound of T4 &T3, and combos of all of them. After taking Tirosint and cytomel for 8 weeks, my levels got worse. My doc had me continue despite this. Than after another 12 weeks, my levels were perfect. I have not been in the normal range for almost 3 years of thyroid medications. I have been tested two more times and levels are perfect. But here is my problem…while most of my symptoms are much better, I have gained an average of 2 lbs a week since I started 75 mcg Tirosint and 5 mcg cytomel 2x daily. I am up 40 lbs in 6 months! Also, I told doc that I have terrible joint pain and stiffness and horrible migraines almost every day!! Because I have been feeling so well as far as the thyroid symptoms I suffer from the most such as fatigue, i was not connecting the Tirosint to my weight gain, joint pain or migraines until I read everyone’s posts!! I don’t know what to do. I am so depressed about gaining so much weight and not being able to take it off. And I feel like an old lady, can hardy move from joints stiffness and pain. And. If I get one more headache I might have to cut my head off. But I don’t have horse voice anymore. I don’t fall asleep while driving anymore. I can’t breath better and don’t med for that anymore. So I am so torn. My doc didn’t connect these symptoms to Tirosint so I bet she will want me to continue because my levels seem to be fine! This is just maddening!!

January 29, 2014 at 9:51 pm
(134) S says:

Just got diagnosed with Hashimotos……doctor didn’t check my adrenals. Sounds like all of these meds hurt more than help. I think I will try getting to the root cause of why my body is upset…too bad doctors don’t seem to care. Maybe nutrition is the only way. One would think a formulation could be developed in this day and age that would actually help people.

February 3, 2014 at 11:29 am
(135) Ronda says:

I have just started with Tirosint. (One week) I have previously been on Synthroid and Armor. With Synthroid and Armor, I had severe leg cramps lasting all night long. Last night, after 1 week on Tirosint, I had severe leg cramps lasting all night. Has anyone experienced this? I was so hopeful when starting this medication and now I am terrible upset. I am on 25mg. I would appreciate any response, Thank you.

February 21, 2014 at 9:54 am
(136) Erin says:

I began taking tirosint after levoxyl was recalled. I was started at 50mcg and at first, I didn’t notice a difference. It took a few months for me to realise what was going on. I could not “feel” the medication working and if I don’t feel it, it’s not working. If my pulse is up and my cheeks and warm, that’s how I know I am on the right track. That has hardly ever happened with tirosint. I was very happy with levoxyl, as I had lost a lot of weight and felt pretty good. I never had to go higher than 75mcg. But for me, the tirosint is just not as strong. I am surprised that it’s not as strong because a gel capsule is supposed to be more easily absorbed and I have read many people saying that they had to decrease their dose of tirosint for that reason. I, on the other hand, have done nothing but increase mine time and time again. I went to 75 which made very little difference, to 88, which at one time seemed to be too much, but then I crashed and now I have no idea how much I need. I have gained almost all of the weight back that I had lost, in about 7 or 8 months. I went from a size 9 to a size 13. I will be going back to levoxyl because I have seen no proof that tirosint is better. However, my hair has been very healthy while taking it – there was no major hair loss and it has gotten thick and shiny. As far as my energy levels, they have not been good. I kept taking more and more, but only getting a little relief. I just want to say that many of us are dealing with weight gain, and I know that it takes a toll on our self esteem, but the people who truly love you will be able to see past the number on the scale and the size on the tag in your jeans, and they won’t make you feel bad about it. Anyone who makes you feel anything less than happy does not belong in your life. Good luck everyone and I hope we all find what we need to beat this disease.

February 25, 2014 at 6:14 pm
(137) Codi says:

according to the levoxyl website, it will possibly be available in 6 days , on March 1! I sure as hell hope so, synthroid worked but i tried tirosint because of it being “purer”…i’ve been on it for 10 weeks and mood has improved but appetite hasn’t (which usually at around 6 to 8 weeks on levoxyl it did)…energy isn’t as high as i’ve had before either – so hopefully will switch back to levoxyl very very soon

February 26, 2014 at 7:38 pm
(138) Debbie says:

I was given samples of this new thyroid capsule and I liked it. Other thyroid meds gave me diahhrea but this one didnt, however I dont know where you are getting it for $30, in California it is $178.00 for 60. So if you know where I can get it cheaper please let me know because I am unable to afford it. But the manufacture has an assistance program but its not for those of us who work and cant afford it….why is it that it always turns out that way, I work all my life and the only prescription that I need is too expensive for me to have. Any free sponsorship????

February 28, 2014 at 7:41 pm
(139) alice says:

i two have been on every thyroid meds since my thyroidectomy for cancerin 1997 . to many problems to list i mean to many name it i havd it until i tried levoxyl and felt great no hair loss, no palpatation. no swelling , no mood swings , great energy, only 5 feet and wt, never was a problem until i retired abd gained 6 pounds 125, will try to exercise more . i am a nurse nad worked up 25 to 20 pt. a day maybe it was all the walkink . like u iam dying to know when levoxyl will be back . i want it . can not understand why a good thing would be d/ced thanks for readind al

March 11, 2014 at 4:52 pm
(140) Mk says:

I have been on Tirosint for a month. I have gained weight and exercise everyday and eat very well. In addition, my TSH went higher than it was before I took any sort of medicine. I have tried Armour, Synthroid, and now Tirosint. I wish I could find something that will help me.

March 12, 2014 at 5:39 pm
(141) Mrs Ruth says:

I have been on Tirosint for 6 months after being on Synthroid meds for over 30 years (Hypo condition).

Since being on Tirosint at 100 mcg per dose I have had
a significant scalp hair loss plus weight gain of 20 lbs with regular
exercise. I am meeting my doctor in a week to reevaluate my levels for
Hypothyroidism. Although I do feel better physically, the loss of hair and
weight gain is a concern for me.

March 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm
(142) Cherie Partain says:

I was charged $78.79 for Tirosint for 28 days of mediciation. WTH?

March 24, 2014 at 11:49 am
(143) Cathy says:

I have been on Tirosint for over 6 months now & having terrible side effects. Joint pain, double & blurred vision, foggy brain, dizziness to where I feel like passing out, weak,& heart palpitations. I was on levoxyl for over 40 yrs. I was born with a dead thyroid. The doctor switched me when going through menopause and I haven’t had a good day since. I called Pfizer this morning, and they informed me Levoxyl is now back on the market. Not all pharmacies have it stocked yet tho. Will be asking doc to put me back on levoxyl. YEAH!!!

March 24, 2014 at 11:52 am
(144) Cathy says:

Levoxyl is back on the market! Called Pfizer this morning. Only not all pharmacies have it in stock yet. YEAH!!! Going back on levoxyl soon!!

March 31, 2014 at 3:12 pm
(145) Cathy says:

I just got my Levoxyl back today! I hope this gets me back to feel like my old self. I was on this for 47 yrs. prior to recall. Hope it works the same. So, go to the Doc., and let him know Levoxyl is available now. I take 88mcg. Good luck to all including myself!

March 31, 2014 at 3:17 pm
(146) Cathy says:

I just picked up my Levoxyl. It is back on the market. Did not like Tirosint at all. Was on Levoxyl for 48 yrs. prior to recall. Hopefully I will be getting back to my normal self again. Glad to have it back. Let your Docs know that Levoxyl is back on the market. Good luck to all &, myself!!

March 31, 2014 at 4:47 pm
(147) Laura says:

I’m still not sure if Tirosint will work for me. At first, I felt better…more energy and lost weight. However, I developed heart palps and anxiety at 100mcg (after 5 days) and also at 88mcg (after 1 week). I also felt extremely disoriented at each dose. I am now on 75mcg (for about 1 month) and no longer have anxiety or heart palps. However, my eyes are dry and sore. An eye doc told me I have “ocular rosacea”…not sure if it’s related to the tirosint, but I have never had problems with my eyes before in my life. I am also slightly disoriented, but I’m not sure if it’s because of my eyes. Also, my “essential” or “familial” tremor has become worse…especially after activities. Will probably try a lower dose before stopping it completely.