1. Health

Mary Shomon

Why is Vitamin D So Important to Thyroid Patients?

By September 30, 2010

You probably have been hearing more in the news lately about Vitamin D, and why experts are starting to recommend that we get more of this important vitamin. In particular, testing for and supplementing with Vitamin D have been increasingly recommended for thyroid, autoimmune and obesity patients.

But what's the thinking behind these recommendations?

I had a chance to have a brief Q&A with Richard Shames, MD -- who is a practicing physician, author of a number of popular books on thyroid disease, and a thyroid coach -- on the topic of why he considers Vitamin D so crucial for thyroid patients.

Mary Shomon: Why do you feel vitamin D is so important to thyroid sufferers?

Richard Shames, MD: This particular vitamin is so crucial to thyroid function that its status has now been elevated by researchers to co-hormone. We now know that the variability of thyroid to work or not work in your body is dependent upon the presence of Vitamin D, making it not just of benefit, but absolutely essential.

Mary Shomon:Where does Vitamin D fit, in terms of the other nutrients that can useful for thyroid health, for example, selenium, copper, and zinc, and issues like avoiding too much soy, and balancing iodine intake?

Richard Shames, MD: Last month I was coaching a very careful and conscientious low thyroid patient. She was taking optimal amounts of the minerals just mentioned; and in addition, was taking herbal medicines to promote her thyroid health, as well as the pro-hormone pregnenolone (to increase availability of cortisol). Moreover, she was also taking prescription thyroid medicine, consisting of a T4 / T3 combination, with a small amount of natural desiccated thyroid for completeness. Even with all of this effort, she was not getting good results in terms of symptom relief. After checking her Vitamin D level, I found it to be in the low-normal range, and we boostied it up to mid-to-high normal range. Only then did she begin to do well.

Mary Shomon:Why did this work?

Richard Shames, MD: Thyroid treatment isn't optimal -- and may not work -- if you do not have adequate Vitamin D for the crucial final metabolic step, which takes place at the site where thyroid hormone actually works. This happens inside the nucleus of the cell. Vitamin D needs to be present at sufficient levels in the cell in order for the thyroid hormone to actually affect that cell. That is why vitamin D is so crucial.

Mary Shomon:Do we get enough Vitamin D from sunshine or multivitamins, or do we need to supplement?

Richard Shames, MD: These days people are using sunblocks, and staying inside at their computers much more frequently. Therefore we are getting less Vitamin D from the sun. In addition, multivitamins typically have about 400 IU of Vitamin D, which was the RDA standard from research done in the 1940s and 1950s. Today, this research is being questioned, with many researchers now recommending a minimum of 1000-2000 IU daily, an amount that exceeds most multivitamins. In the case above, for example, my patient needed 4000 IU daily to achieve her good results.

Mary Shomon: How can Vitamin D be tested?

Richard Shames, MD:I believe that a blood test for Vitamin D is essential for anyone dealing with hypothyroidism. The typical normal range for Vitamin D levels is from around 30 to 100. Keep in mind in mind that just being in the low end of normal range will not do an adequate job for someone with an underactive thyroid person. Thyroid patients need to be "replete" -- and that means alevel of at least 50 - 60 level, or greater.

Mary Shomon: If you are low or low-normal; is there a particular type of Vitamin D you recommend?

Richard Shames, MD:Make sure it is Vitamin D3. I usually recommend that my patients take at least 2,000 IU per day for maintenance, 4,000 per day if they are at the lowest end of the low-normal range, and 6,000 per day if their tests showed Vitamin D levels below normal. I typically recommend patients supplement for two to three months, and then get retested to monitor improvement. I usually have patients who were low or borderline move to the 2,000 IU maintenance dose when blood levels have reached 50 to 60 or better.

Learn More About Vitamin D

Drs. Richard Shames is co-author of two books on thyroid disease, Thyroid Power and Fat, Fuzzy, Frazzled? Richard Shames, MD graduated Harvard and University of Pennsylvania, did research at the National Institutes of Health with Nobel Prize winner Marshall Nirenberg, and has been in private practice for more than twenty five years. He practices holistic medicine practice and offers health coaching -- with a focus on thyroid, autoimmune and hormonal balance issues.

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
September 30, 2010 at 8:38 pm
(1) John says:

Another source of vitamin D are indoor suntanning machines. You can get up to 10,000 IUs of vitamin D in one session. UVB creates vitamin D from any source.

October 1, 2010 at 7:35 am
(2) Marg says:

But with indoor suntanning machines you have to watch for skin cancer and melanoma. In Australia they are putting big restrictions on who can use them – no one under 18, etc. Bad publicity on TV and in papers.

October 1, 2010 at 3:37 am
(3) Susan says:

Does vitamin D also help with a hyperthyroidism?
thank you.

October 1, 2010 at 2:46 pm
(4) Dr. Eric says:

Yes Susan, Vitamin D also helps with hyperthyroidism as well. I can tell you from personal experience (as I was diagnosed with Graves’ Disease), as well as from consulting with patients who have hyperthyroidism. Regardless of whether someone has hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, I highly recommend that they obtain a Vitamin D test, as there is a good chance their levels will be low and will need to be brought up through supplementation.

October 2, 2010 at 10:50 am
(5) Ange says:

Exactly the samething has happened to me! I was diagnosedwiht hypothyroidism several years ago but couldn’t despite best efforts find the right level of throid hormone/s never felt well -a screening after I broke my leg for no known reason last year showed low viatmin D. Since takng supplements of D3 I cannot tell you the difference it has made -everyone has noticed -more energy and the loss of muscle due to the lack of vistiminD and consequent low energy + pain are all well and truely gone! I am amazed! I have severe vitiligo so have to avoid the sun….I feel a bit of a wally that I never thought of this before. It wil take me time to build my strenght and fitness levels up again but l am so grateful I broke my leg now!!!!

October 6, 2010 at 11:16 am
(6) Marge says:

Diagnose with hypothyroidism over 6 yr ago & have several problems since. Been to many Drs and cant seem to get them to listen to me or get any results. My legs get so swollen that I cant walk. Been reading about vitamin D. About how long till anyone has seen results after taking D3

October 1, 2010 at 9:17 am
(7) Carmen says:

Be careful with Vit. D. It can cause kidney stones!

October 1, 2010 at 9:55 am
(8) JVergara says:

Interesting article. I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency at the same time as being hypothyroid (about 6 months ago). I was initially put on 50,000 IUs of Vitamin D once a week for 4 weeks and then 50,000 IUs every 2 weeks. Testing showed a mild increase in Vitamin D levels after 2 months. Still taking the mega dosage and will be retested in 2 more months.

I do want to ask my doctor why the huge dose every 2 weeks instead of smaller doses daily. I feel good the first 4-5 days after taking the 50,000 IUs, but then gradually feel worse during the next 9 days.

October 1, 2010 at 1:44 pm
(9) Trish says:

The doctor commented that we should be taking vitamin D3. I found out that the prescription 50k iu is D2. I’ve been taking Citrical (Vitamin D3 combined with calcium) since I stopped the prescription D2.

October 1, 2010 at 9:56 am
(10) Lisa says:

wow this is right on for me. I’m just now getting diagnosed with Hashimotos..still working our meds but my Vitamin D was critically low! (and I live in FL so I get lots of sun mowing the lawn, walking around, sitting outside while the kids are in the pool and swimming with them etc!!)
I was shocked it was so low!

October 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(11) Willa says:

Lisa,

October 1, 2010 at 10:43 am
(12) Aggie says:

I was first diagnosed with a thyroid problem when I was 17 in the early 70′s. Over time I was found to have a nearly non existant Vit. D level. About 6 months ago It was found to be at a level of .05 which when you see the range of 30-100 is an absent level. I also live in Fl. and spend my summers in So. Utah. I’m out and about but my body just doesn’t seem to manufacture it’s own Vit. D. I normally don’t use sunblock so I can get more exposure to the sun. Well I’m now on the 50,000 once a week regime. Last week seeing my endo doc, she found it was after 6 months not coming up like she wanted it to. My weekly dose of 50,000 just got doubled to twice a week. She also informed if that didn’t make a big change over the next couple fo months, it would be bumped up again. What I’ve found myself, is the sever muscle aches and joint pains are much lessened. My HAIR is growing back from a stage where I was considering wigs. My fuzzy brained symptom is vanishing. I wish other docs that had found my low level (One was Steven Langer in Berkley Ca.) had given me the perscription strength and followed through as well as my current endo. Whats funny is I have roseaca as well. My dermetologist last week told me to sit in the sun every day for 15 minutes and never wear a big number sunblock. Which is counter to what roseaca patients are supposed to do. He based it on my lack of Vit. D as well. In one week my current year long outbreak that was out of control is disappearing. Gotta love Vit. D!

October 1, 2010 at 10:47 am
(13) LisaC says:

I just noticed that the Vitamin D3 supplement I am using is made from soybean oil – are all Vit D3 supplements made from soybeans? Will this little bit of soy hurt or help my thyroid?

October 11, 2010 at 12:53 am
(14) Willa says:

Lisa,
I was wondering the same thing, it seems soybean oil is okay, it’s the soy products like soy protein and soy milk that is harmful to some thyroid patients.
I take Vit. D with soybean oil. There are caps available that contain lanolin instead of soybean oil, either one would be okay. I have Hashi and I’ve been taking capsules that contain soybean oil and I feel okay.

October 11, 2010 at 12:56 am
(15) Willa says:

Lisa, I was dxed with Hashi 9 years ago and almost all that time was constantly adjusting meds!! For the past year I’ve not had to increase meds and am wondering if taking extra Vit.D is why? I take 800 mg. which is included in my daily supplement and eat a very healthy diet, but never get out in the sun because of my age and those awful “sun spots” women my age usually have, all over my legs and some sprouting on my arms!!! I may increase the Vit. D to 1,000 but don’t want to go higher, moderation is the key to my way of thinking.

October 1, 2010 at 11:15 am
(16) Sherry says:

I had a pain manegment Dr. tell me that the only way I could be havings so much pain is that my vit. D level was low. I ordered a salivia test and sure enough, even though I had been taking 1000 iu of D from a well known mall chain store, my D was way low! I went to a really good health food store and now use Life Extension D3 with iodine, and NO soy is in this product. And I am almost pain free! I have also been taking T3 T4 componded by my pharmacy.

October 1, 2010 at 11:15 am
(17) Lori says:

I thought vitamin D inhibited the absorption of thyroid meds. When is the best time to take this large dosage?

October 4, 2010 at 10:28 am
(18) catherine says:

I take my thyroid meds in the morning and my vitamin D supplements in the evening before bed. That seems to work well for me, but you should take any vitamins or other meds 4 hours after you take your thyroid meds.

October 1, 2010 at 11:32 am
(19) Karen says:

I also would like to confirm through experience what Dr. Shames’ reports. I have taken thyroid successfully for over 25 years, but 18 months ago began a roller coaster ride related to my thyroid. I’ve also had a number of autoimmune-related symptoms for quite some time. Through a very helpful allergist and nutritionist, we discovered that my ferritin and Vitamin D levels were very low. As I have faithfully taken supplements provided by my Dr. and PhD Nutritionist (not available in stores), my thyroid has stabilized and my energy levels have improved dramatically. Interestingly enough, I am taking less thyroid now too (I also switched from Armour to Levoxyl with good results). The difference in my health compared to a year ago is amazing! I encourage anyone with thyroid issues to get their Vitamin D and ferritin levels checked. We are all different, but it is important that we all advocate for our own health!

October 1, 2010 at 11:40 am
(20) Jack says:

John, you are right!! UVB is the only natural way for our bodies to make vitamin D, and in some parts of the world, there is no way to make vitamin D from the sun in the winter months, so indoor tanning is the only ‘natural’ way to make D!
Marg, be careful what you believe when you hear about melanoma and it’s link to indoor tanning. The truth is, there has never been any data presented suggesting that *NON-BURNING* UV exposure is a significant risk factor. Everyone who is exposed to UV outdoors or at a tanning salon needs to make sure that they never burn, and that they protect their eyes at all times.
There are certain peope who have a skin type (Type I) that never tans, and always burns when exposed to the sun. These people should never go to a tanning salon, and should avoid outdoor sun exposure. In North America, tanning salons are not allowed to let people with this skin type use their machines.
I have read that in Australia, the ‘sun scare’ message has left around 70% of the population vitamin D deficient! With vitamin D being shown to prevent many types of cancer, this is scary!

October 1, 2010 at 1:26 pm
(21) Debra Jones says:

I started taking vitamin D3, severl months ago , and I started experiencing a warm flushing experience, where it felt like warm water was poured over my head. Can you explain what caused this sensation? Could it be with the D3 and Armour thyroid kicking in together that my thyrid medicine was now too high, I backed off D3 and symptons went away. What would you advise me to start with , I currently take 160 armour thyroid. I did have a ton of energy with the D3. I also noticed this is when other things kicked back in, hair growth and ability to sweat.

October 1, 2010 at 2:39 pm
(22) Dr. Eric says:

It seems rare that I come across a patient these days who doesn’t have a Vitamin D deficiency, as it really doesn’t matter where they live, as most are taking extreme measures to avoid “the deadly rays” of the sun. That’s why it’s great to see information like this recommending for people to obtain a Vitamin D test to determine if their levels are insufficient, and also gives some specific recommendations with regards to how much Vitamin D3 to take on a daily basis. I have found that some people actually need to take more than 6,000 IU for a short period of time if they have a severe Vitamin D deficiency.

October 1, 2010 at 5:59 pm
(23) Paul R. says:

I was shocked as well to found myself at 25 when I originally measured my Vit D back in 2008.

Taking 2400 IU’s/day, got me up to 51.

I don’t know if I can say that I feel any better, but I was deficient/ low prior to supplementation. I’ve read where there is an ever-increasing link between Vit D and autoimmune disease occurrence. Indeed, some autoimmune diseases have demonstrated a link. Nothing on a direct link to thyroid yet, but based upon the doctors responses to cellular hormone conversion, it sounds like we are getting closer.

I have a hard time getting more than 2400 IU’s however, as I am not sure if morning supplementation of maybe 1000 IU’s will interfere w/thyroid hormone. I haven’t heard anything to the same, but wondering nonetheless.

I’m thinking about bumping it up to 3400 IU’s.

October 2, 2010 at 8:22 am
(24) leona says:

So sorry to say jack but here in Australia there has been documented cases than tanning beds do cause or increase the cases of melanoma…You do not need to BURN to damage your skin over exposure to the sun burns your skin. My father passed away 2years ago from melanoma and he had olive skin browned before any signs of burning….So please dont hold onto the miss conception that you have to burn to get melanoma….Tanning beds should be banned!!!!!!

October 4, 2010 at 11:09 pm
(25) Tammie says:

You cannot get melanoma from tanning because it only appears on places that aren’t regularly exposed to the sun.

Those documented cases are an exaggeration of the less than half of 1% who actually get malignant melanoma and die from it. It breaks down like this:

1) The purveyors of sun-scare, in inexplicable blind zeal for their cause, have made some outlandish and unsupportable statements about sunshine, UV, Vitamin D and tanning. Because sunshine is free, there is no powerful pro-sun PR lobby aggressively countering these misstatements. Just imagine if a large pharmaceutical company did own the sun and was able to send you a bill for your monthly sunshine. The mass-media marketing message you got about sunshine – based on the same science that exists today – would be completely positive.

Some purveyors of “sun scare” have deluded themselves into thinking that it is acceptable to overstate the risks associated with overexposure in order to convince people to moderate their sun exposure habits. This segment of the anti-tanning “sun scare” lobby, in an effort to rightfully increase awareness about sun care, often says the wrong thing the wrong way for the right reasons. But the fact that the intention – to reduce skin damage – is right does not give them a free pass to obscure the facts and ignore conflicting data, as they often do. Some dermatology industry leaders still maintain that there are no known health benefits to regular sun exposure. This position is totally non-defendable. There is plenty of well-researched material documenting the positive physiological and psychological effects of UV exposure. They are in full denial.

October 4, 2010 at 11:25 pm
(26) Tammie says:

The American Cancer Society Anti-sun lobbyists often have called melanoma an “epidemic.”In fact, melanoma incidence has been rising for nearly 80 years, primarily in older men who are still much more likely to contract this disease. Yet the anti-sun lobby has directed its screenings and marketing attention at younger women who are more likely to purchase dermatologic services and cosmetic products with sunscreen.The allegation that melanoma is increasing rapidly in young people is not supported by data and has obvious confounders that the anti-sun lobby conspicuously ignores in its regular discussion. Primarily, one must consider that dermatology’s ability to detect melanoma has improved steadily in the past half century. Because more and more young people visit dermatologists today (dermatology’s fastest growing procedures are cosmetic, with cosmetic botox injections leading the way. These procedures, of course, are marketed to younger people), it is understandable that dermatologists identify more melanomas. This also explains why despite the allegation that more young people are getting melanoma, there is not a corresponding increase in the mortality rate from this disease in young people. In fact, in Canadian cancer registries the melanoma incidence and mortality rates are declining for women under age 50.That’s not to say people shouldn’t be taking the right precautions. But the profit-driven anti-sun lobby has a track record of bending the numbers. That’s not science. That’s politics. $50 billion Johnson & Johnson’s consumer products unit which markets sun care products like Neutrogena and Aveeno, is one of the pharmaceutical giant’s most profitable divisions. They use some of the most aggressive sun-scare of any sunscreen company. Also, the heir to Johnson & Johnson who died last year of an overdose on prescription drugs ALSO use to tan at my tanning salon in Los Angeles. What a kicker, right?

October 4, 2010 at 11:30 pm
(27) Tammie says:

Humans make 90 percent of their vitamin D from sun exposure. That’s the natural way. To recommend that supplements and milk replace what Nature intended is unnatural and impractical. You would have to drink a full quart of fortified whole milk every day to attain the current median recommendation for vitamin D. What’s more, that level is now regarded as considerably too low by Vitamin D scientists. There is also growing consensus that supplements and diet alone will not provide sufficient vitamin D without additional sun exposure to the skin. The American Cancer Society and the Canadian Cancer Society have both recognized that some sunlight in moderation is necessary.Despite all the evidence to the contrary, many anti-sun lobbyists have stuck with their rhetoric that humans make sufficient vitamin D from incidental sun exposure. If this were the case, how would it be possible for 40-90 percent of the population to be Vitamin D deficient, as has been demonstrated by several studies, if, as dermatologists also say, people are getting too much sun exposure? The outcomes are divergent. Further, the over-use of sunscreen 365 days a year completely prevents the body from naturally manufacturing vitamin D. And vitamin D deficiency in our society appears to be epidemic. Some dermatology industry leaders, in attempts to scare people out of the sun, still compare tanning to smoking, making the statement that indoor tanning is like a cigarette for your skin. This hyperbole is nothing short of ridiculous since smoking introduces unnatural substances into your body that your body is not designed to process while your body is designed to process UV light, and in fact is reliant on UV exposure for natural body functions. The professional indoor tanning industry promotes and teaches the Golden Rule of Smart Tanning: Don’t ever sunburn.

October 4, 2010 at 11:36 pm
(28) Tammie says:

In recent years the mechanism by which Vitamin D slows or retards the growth of tumor cells has been researched and identified. It was once thought that only the kidneys could produce active vitamin D, but we now know that many cells in the body perform this function, including cells in the breast, prostate, colon, brain and skin.There arguably is more misinformation about skin cancer than any other form of cancer, and most of it involves distorting the nature of skin cancer’s complex relationship with sun exposure. 18 of 22 studies examining melanoma and indoor tanning have shown no statistically significant association, including the most recent and largest study, which showed no connection at all. The four older studies that alleged a connection did not adequately control for important confounding variables such as the subjects’ outdoor exposure to sunlight, childhood sunburns, type of tanning equipment utilized (many of which were unsupervised home units) and duration and quantity of exposures.

Melanoma mortality rates in the United States are not rising among young women, but are increasing dramatically among older men, according to National Cancer Institute data. (In Canada, melanoma rates for women under 50 have actually declined in the past 20 years). Yet the majority of the marketing message about this disease is directed at young women, who are the highest consumers of dermatological services. Skin cancer generally has a 20- to 30-year latency period. The rates of skin cancer we are seeing today in older individuals mostly are a function of the ignorant misbehavior of the 1970s and early 1980s. Recall: Society used to view sunburns as an inconvenient right of spring, or as a “precursor” to developing a summer tan. Severe burns were commonplace. Today we know how reckless that approach was, and the incidence rates of skin cancer today in those over 50 years of age reflect that ignorance. Because burning is an injury, not a tan.

October 4, 2010 at 11:47 pm
(29) Tammie says:

Adding to the confusion is the fact that sunshine serves a critical function in the body that sunscreen appears to inhibit production of vitamin D. The main source of vitamin D in the body is sunshine, and the compound is enormously important to health as it strengthens bones and the immune system, reduces the risk of various DEADLY cancers (including breast, colon, kidney, thyroid and ovarian cancers) and regulates at least 1,000 different genes in every tissue in the body. A recent study on tanning beds and melanoma has been making the rounds. The big statistic that everyone is throwing around is that “people who tanned indoors had a 74% higher chance of developing melanoma than those who hadn’t.” Note that the reason this is such a big deal is because there has never been strong evidence that using tanning beds caused melanoma. You’ll see a 1.74 (hence, 74% more likely), plus a confidence interval. This interval, or error, simply indicates that if you ran this experiment 100 times, 95% of the time you’d expect this value to fall between 1.42 and 2.14. The odds ratio for hours spent in a tanning bed increases to 3.18 (218% more likely) with duration of tanning bed use. THE SAME STUDY THAT CONNECTS TANNING BEDS WITH MELANOMA ALSO CONCLUDES THAT HIGHER SUNSCREEN USAGE INCREASES YOUR RISK OF MELANOMA. High meaning lifetime sunscreen usage increases your chances of getting melanoma by about 30%. But somehow “Sunscreen usage causes melanoma” is a less catchy headline than “Tanning beds cause melanoma”.

October 4, 2010 at 11:59 pm
(30) Tammie says:

Sorry I had to post so many messages but, I felt the urge to educate you on the subject.

In other words, Leona… the fear mongers aka anti-sun lobbyists groups who pay BIG to the media to preach their lies have blinded you with falsified information to make profit. If it wasn’t for the sun, you wouldn’t exist nor would any life on the planet. Put a plant in a dark place, even watered and exposed to CO2 but without sunlight, it would die. Just like all living things… just like you. I’m sorry to hear about your father. I too lost an aunt to melanoma. But she was 87, hadn’t got enough sun exposure, wore sunscreen daily on her face, had become D3 deficient, and got it melanoma on her face. She died on Christmas, 2007. But, in that rare case… no one in my family since or has ever that regularly gets sun has ever been diagnosed with malignant melanoma. In fact, before soy distorted my absorption of D3, I was perfectly healthy. And as I still tan into my 30s, my thyroid is better, I don’t burn, have been checked for cancerous moles, and I’m happy to say my D3 levels are normal… all from tanning :) .

Also, I’ve been educated while working in the tanning industry for over 5 years by doctors, dermatologists, people that worked for NASA, and took a test on this knowledge in order to work in the tanning salon. The truth is there. My heart & prayers goes out to your family for your loss.

October 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm
(31) Aliss says:

There is another aspect to D deficiency and impaired thyroid function: it is that increased fluoride intake as in, four to ten times more from drinking and cooking with artificially fluoridated water, is known to affect the enzymes needed for making D3 out of cholesterol precursors; making 25-OHD in liver and kidney tissues; and activating 25-OHD into 1,25-OHD at the cell margin itself (where the antimicrobial peptides, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects are most needed). We will not achieve a reduction in the massive amount of suffering caused by low thyroid function and its secondary effects on heart, mind, digestion, and fatigue-pain syndromes til fluoridation is recognized as the invisible factor. So now we have multiple thyroid-impairing effects from a single industrial waste source toxin put into public tap water to accumulate in our bodies from conception ON PURPOSE by public health zealots: increased uptake of lead, a thyrotoxin, into the blood and bones of people drinking fluoridated water. Reduced Vitamin D synthesis and activation despite high intake or sun exposure. Inhibited conversion of T4 to T3 in cells. Elevated TSH. Iodine deficiency effects despite supplementation or diet intake. Altered PTH and calcium metabolism. You would think one item should be enough to end fluoridation. Apparently, we ALL have to be dead before American public health officials will admit they were wrong.

October 3, 2010 at 10:36 am
(32) Lee says:

I appreciate this information concerning thyroid and Vit D. I do have to question why that people with the autoimmune disease Hasimoto’s have to be careful with Vit D supplementation because I was found to have extremely high Vit D 25 and 125D after being diagnosed with both Hashimoto and Sarcoidosis. After stopping my Vit D habit (1000mgm of D3) did my thyroid finally start to right itself and my Sarocidosis got under control. This was explained to me by my dr as the “steroidal effects” of my Vit D supplementation. He elaborated that autoimmune disease can be the result of the breakdown of the vitamin D receptors and thus the Vit D supplementation becomes “in excess” and very much a toxin to our bodies since the receptors of D are very much disabled. This was found to be very true in my case and both my diseases are now well under control and I have to keep my Vit D levels low with no supplementation. Thanks!

October 3, 2010 at 11:04 am
(33) Cathy says:

I started having a lot of joint pain in my right elbow. I recently bought D3 and have added that to my vitamin regime and that’s the only thing I can think of that seems to be helping it. Nothing else is new.

October 4, 2010 at 10:27 am
(34) Cara says:

So glad this research has come to light (no pun intended) and is being so widely publicised. I have also read te research indsicatign that not only is D3 vital for your bones and in the prevention of mentla health problems – which we already know and now in auto-immune conditions but also in the preventaion of certain cancers. The mist natural form is sunlight, in safe amounts, every day.
So sad that the sunlock zealots who encouraged young women to use factor 50 are now looking at women long before menopause who are on a cocktail of medicatio to treat oestoeporosis as a result of low Vitamin D

October 4, 2010 at 8:52 pm
(35) Tammie says:

You can’t get melanoma from tanning beds. Melanoma only shows up in places that haven’t had any sun exposure and only fear mongering doctors, dermatologists (who actually have a stand up tanning Booth in their office that costs $100 a treatment called “phototherapy”), and cosmetic companies will brainwash the public with falsified information and statistics so you can buy their products, make them money on prescription drug referral commissions, and become more prone to 17 of the most deadliest cancers (ie. Breast cancer, colon and prostate cancer to name a few), instead of getting a little sunshine which is the best and most effective form of vitamin D3. I became subclinical hypothyroid last March for eating soy for 15 years as a vegetarian. No one in my family has or had a history of endocrine disease or obesity. Almost a year later after eliminating soy and any goitergenic foods from my diet and adding fish along with moderate exposure in a tanning bed 3 times a week and I’m almost 100% back to normal T4/T3 levels. I only gained 20 lbs but have lost half of that weight all from little changes in diet, taking my thyroid medicine, exercise, and UVB. Trust me, the chances getting skin cancer are less than HALF of 1%. Which means your more likely to get hit by a plane while crossing the street to grab coffee @ Starbucks than to die from skin cancer :)

October 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm
(36) Maggie Dee says:

Tammie, stop talking crap. Do you own a tanning salon or something? I know personally, three people who had melanoma on their legs, which were exposed to sun. Went to the funeral of one of these young ladies just 2 days ago. Other cases on their back, exposed to sun when on the beach. (Australia) Melanoma can develop in non-exposed areas, but to say they NEVER develop in exposed areas is just crap.

October 5, 2010 at 11:32 am
(37) Jack says:

Leona, please post a link with those documented cases.
I cannot imagine how any Dr. or scientific study could say with certainty that a tanning booth/bed caused any type of cancer. That doesn’t make any sense. There are too many other factors involved, including lifestyle, family history, and childhood burning. As I stated before, there is NO research suggesting that non-burning exposure is harmful. Burning/over-exposure may be harmful, but even that has never been proven to cause melanoma.
In the IARC report that using tanning beds before age 30 increases melanoma risk, when the Skin Type I’s were taken out of the study (people who cannot tan, only burn), there was no increase in risk for the rest of the group being studied.

October 5, 2010 at 11:37 am
(38) Jack says:

Tammie, thank you for trying to educate the public! Everything you have said is true, and it’s very hard to spread that information when you’re competing with the $35 billion sunscreen industry!

October 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm
(39) janet says:

Can anyone tell me what vit d3 to take is there a brand or strength (i’m in the UK ) so I don’t know if they would be the same as in the USA but any info welcome …

October 9, 2010 at 11:01 am
(40) L ora says:

My gyn recently prescribed D3 for me when I went in for a pap smear. For some reason he was concerned about my levels and took a blood test which showed I had very low levels. I had never before heard about the importance of Vit D.and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s when I was 47 and I had had goiter since the age of 17. I also am Celiac. I was diagnosed 6 years ago when I was 70. My gyn was also responsible for my getting tested for that. I am so glad I finally found an MD who is interested in helping me. It’s been a long hard struggle to get help over the years so I really appreciate this doc.

October 9, 2010 at 7:45 pm
(41) Theresa says:

According to the material I have read on the subject, Vitamin D manufacture in our bodies is impaired as we grow older, and Vitamin D can become trapped in our fat cells, and therefore be unavailable to our bodies. I live in Canada, where we have very short summers, and while I did briefly try a tanning bed in my local gym, I had a strange reaction to it, involving a rash in all areas exposed to the rays. My mom, a lifelong sun worshipper, recently had a basal cell carcinoma removed from the tip of her nose, an area definitely exposed to the sun for more than 75 years! As a hypothyroid Canadian woman over age 50, I will play it safe and supplement with D3. I did ask my doctor to test my level a couple of years ago, and it was at the low end of normal. I find that I feel somewhat better when I take it regularly, and I’m not about to punish my skin unnecessarily with rashes and age spots, when a simple supplement will suffice.

October 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm
(42) Linda says:

Does any know if this also applies for hyperthyroidism?

November 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(43) Patty says:

my daughter and I take synthroid what vitamins are we suppose to take for help with it? And my concern on SOY? What vitamins come with out it? They all have soy , really upset and tired of looking, does anyone have the right vit, for those with hypothyroid?

November 4, 2010 at 10:04 pm
(44) Susan says:

Great John… you can get your regular dose of Vit D AND cancer. Brilliant.

February 4, 2011 at 6:32 am
(45) Marti Limpert says:

What about if you had your thyroid and parathyroid removed what are you to do? I have had Graves Disease and Hashimoto’s Disease both since I first was Hyperthyroidism then Hyperthroidism surgically induced. I went form 121 pounds in Sept 2000 day of surgery and by Christmas I weighed 398 pounds. My weight has been an issue every since and I weigh now 260. I am onlyu 5 ft 2 in. I was hoping to get to 150. I have Type 2 diabetes hight chlosteral and other associated problems. Is there any hope for me? I am 70 years old. Thanks. Mary I would love to discuss some things with you privately in the E-Mail is there a way to do this. Years ago when your first started this site I had your E-Mail. Remeber those days?

February 4, 2011 at 9:55 am
(46) Judith says:

In addition to Thyroid, low vitamin D levels are found in patients with Fibromyalgia. My Primary is Holistic and her speciality is ‘Age Management and Hormone Balance’. She would like her patients level to be 50 ng. She never gets it there, but works to get it as high as they can. 30ng is the ‘normal’ level. Mine is goes as low as 14. I am on 5,000 units per day to get it to 38. She tweaks my Thyroid medication as needed. I get the bioidentical hormone implants…now only once a year. Everything works together. I am 69 and have been blessed for a decade to have someone Ask how I feel and then Listen!
Judith

February 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm
(47) Elizabeth says:

I have been hypothyroid since I was 10. This summer my 1 year old’s pediatrician looked at me during her visit and told me to start taking D3 in large doses. My regular doc then confirmed the recommendation (5000 IU a day). Later that summer I spent a day on the beach, wearing tons of sunscreen because of my vitiligo. For the next week I had the energy of a teenager! I couldn’t believe the impact of sunlight and vitamin D. Completely amazing!

February 6, 2011 at 10:20 am
(48) Lisa says:

Thank you for the article on Vitamin D. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease about 2 yrs ago and currently take Synthroid because my thyroid was removed. I was Hyperthyroid and now I am Hypothyroid. I started taking a supplement called Schiff Mega- D3. It came out several months ago so I decided to try it because my joints, mucscles and bones were always sore, more so during the cold weather. I had been looking at different things to use and saw this supplement as new being advertised on TV. I have been taking this supplement once daily for almost 3 months now and I tell you there is a tremendous change overall for me. This supplement focuses on 5 key areas of health tha often declines with age. This is the best far. I definitely feel like a million bucks and more.

February 8, 2011 at 5:17 pm
(49) laquita says:

@ lisa you tryd the supplement that kinda combines all the supplements that you need and now you feel like a million bucks but did you lose any weight?

February 23, 2011 at 7:30 am
(50) John says:

Increasing your vitamin D levels helps with not only your thyroid. It decreases your chances of all types of cancer.

Increase your vitamin D levels however possible.
Hint: don’t go to a skin doctor for advice on overall health.

April 14, 2011 at 1:23 am
(51) Hermione Hairpie says:

I think my thyroid is okay but my vagina is a wreck! Not sure if it’s congenital or if it’s from over use but my muffin looks like a smoked pork shoulder after a picnic! Do you think Vitamin D would help get it back in working order? If so, how soon as I’ve got a hot date with the Turkish naval fleet that is in town next week. I’d like for them to dock in my port without problem. Then again, they’re Turkish so they’ll probably be fine with the corned beef hash between my thighs.

May 22, 2011 at 4:04 pm
(52) denise says:

vit d is essential with hashimotos and hypothyroid conditions,i have recently been running very low vit d levels and have been put ona supplement of 1000 units dailey, it helps with the joint issues with a low thyroid and helps the thyroid to maintain regular levels better definately a must for all thyroid pts.low vit d can cause depression,joint issues,fatigue and a rickets type syndrome,,my tsh and t4 levels have been recently off and you need the extra vits to help the thyroid maintain normal function as well as sepia,probiotic, and calcium levels…

May 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm
(53) Cathy says:

I was able to come off thyroid medication after about 6 months by drinking a nutrition shake called Shakeology. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease. Are you familiar with this product and do you know of others that have benefited from it? I have multiple medical conditions and it helped improve all of them. This was a great article!!

September 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(54) SmurfTroll says:

Spam posing as comment.

July 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm
(55) mellomike says:

When taking Vitamin D (preferably D3) make sure you take magnesium with it. Vitamin D needs magnesium to activate in your body and absorb. Mag is a critical co-factor for Vitamin D. It’s surprising how many doctors DON’T know this.

September 14, 2011 at 8:33 am
(56) michelle says:

Hi mellowmike, You are so right, you do need to take magnesium if you are on vitamin D. I had a level of 12nm/ml. Its now 56, 8 weeks on 20000iu vit. D weekly. I have hypothyroidism for 20 years, on T4 meds. Bone,muscle,joint pain only resolved after I added in Magnesium 350 mg daily. Just 2 weeks later pain free after 20 years of chronic pain. It feels like a miracle. D helps absorption of calcium and magnesium ensures it is used where needed. See article on medscape called-proton pump Inhibitors and Hypomagnesaemia! All my family have low vit D. Chrinic pain and coincidently are on PPIS, eg.Lanzoprazole also see article about FDA warnings about STATINS which staes vit D can resolve muscle damage caused by statins.regards Michelle

December 8, 2011 at 8:51 pm
(57) Angela G. says:

Hello all, just wanted to leave my two cents. I was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma in 2001. I’ve done tons of research and found an association with elevated TSH and melanoma. I was diagnosed hypothyroid 3 months after my melanoma so my high TSH caused mine. So just another thing to think about concerning melanoma. I’ve been on synthroid since then and no melanoma so far, fingers crossed. All this information is great I love hearing everyones experience. I’m low D and low ferritin too. Take care,
Angela

January 6, 2012 at 12:02 am
(58) Joanne says:

I have Hashimoto’s. My Vitamin D level is 17.3. How many units of D3 should I be taking daily?
Thanks!

January 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm
(59) Rod says:

Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who is low in vitamin D but suffers severe effects whenever she takes even quite low doses for a few days? (Something like 400 IU for five days.)

She has tried repeatedly – larger and smaller doses, D2 and D3, with magnesium, with calcium supplements. Thyroid levels appear OK – taking mostly desiccated but has also tried T3 and T4 and many combinations.

January 17, 2012 at 7:46 pm
(60) linda says:

I also am low on vit D, but It causes so much bone/muscle pain even with magnesium that I can’t take it, I only found a couple sites one says its from calcium going back in bones (from Keri knox’s site) the other is (don’t remember site) a scientific approach explaining in a scientific way that vitamin D causes inflammation, they both make sense in their own way. But still can’t take it, I was wondering if juicing food with D would cause same reaction (alot of pain) does anyone know? Would really appreciate some ideas.

January 24, 2012 at 11:55 am
(61) ERICA says:

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GLAD I AM TO HAVE READ THIS Q&A. i HAVE HAD HYPOTHYROIDISM SINCE I WAS 14, I AM NOW 26, AND MOST RECENTLY ALL MY SYMPTOMS HAVE BEEN ACTING UP. I’VE BEEN ON A 28 REGULAR MENSTRUAL CYCLE, NORMAL WEIGHT FOR SOMEONE WHO EATS WELL AND EXERCISES, GOOD ENERGY, ETC… BUT FOR THE PAST 3 MONTHS ITS BEEN, LOW ENERGY/ TIRED ALL THE TIME, MY MENSTRUAL CYCLES ARE ALL OUT OF WACK (38 DAY CYCLES), AND REGARDLESS OF MY EXERCISING AND EATING WELL…MT METABOLISM SEEMS TO BE WAY TOO LOW AND CAUSING A BIT OF WIGHT GAIN. ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO MY ENDOCRONOLOGIST SAID “OH DON’T WORRY MAYBE YOUR LIFE HAS BEEN A BIT MORE STRESSFUL THE ONLY THING I SEE IS YOU HAVE A BIT OF A VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY, MAYBE LOOK INTO A SUPPLEMENT, BUT NO BIG DEAL” WHAT THE HECK!! NOW TO REALIZE IT WAS WAAAAAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN I IMAGINED. NOW THAT I READ THIS I’M SO GOING ON A VITAMIN D SHOPPING EXTRAVAGANZA. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! =) SOME ENDOCRONOLIGIST SHE IS! UGH!

January 26, 2012 at 10:52 am
(62) Tina says:

Rod, if there is a problem with taking Vitamin D supplements, there could be an allergy to it. It may be a bit of a stretch for some, but find a NAET practitioner in your area, as this can be treated. It’s an alternative method, but it really works.

February 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm
(63) eddie says:

Note to sunbathers.
Vitamin D is produced on the surface of the skin and needs to be absorbed after the fact. Until it is absorbed it can be washed off. According to literature that I have read it takes about 4 hours to absorb so showering or swimming after sun exposure would wash most of it off before it could be absorbed.

February 16, 2012 at 5:26 am
(64) rishore says:

Does taking vitamin D for hypothyroid cause a higher level or uric acid? I had been taking vigantoletten 1000.I.E twice a day.. Recently found my uric acid is high (7).. Any relation between the two? Im worried pls advice.

February 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(65) laura says:

Has anyone come off the meds or cured hypothyroidism with vitamin d?

March 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm
(66) Nicole says:

Can someone please tell me when (time) to take the Vit D? I take the Synthroid between 3am-5am I usually take the Vit D (its right now a once a week dose 50,000 Vit D2) and I take it like 9 or 10 am? but this week I ate breakfast with it..and well I feel horrible for 2 days now…like I have not even had a dose of it at all?? Did eating with it and not taking it on an empty stomach effect it?? I am seeing an Endocrindologist this week for the 1st time I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 5 weeks ago by my dr. I really think I need D3 and something more regular than this once a week dose though???

May 1, 2012 at 7:19 am
(67) Cathy says:

Nicole..I can tell you from personal experience to NEVER take Vitamin D3 at night! I took mine at night and didn’t sleep for a week! Seriously, it gives you SO much energy, it’s much better to take it in the morning. You will have energy all day! I wouldn’t take it any later in the day than 2 p.m.

May 1, 2012 at 7:22 am
(68) Cathy says:

Nicole, I forgot to say I was also on the 50,000 i.u D3 prescribed by my doctor and it definitely prevented me from sleeping when I took it at night. I had the same problem even when I was only taking the 1,000 i.u. at night. It gives you lots of energy…take it in the morning.

May 1, 2012 at 7:28 am
(69) Cathy says:

Nicole, sorry for all the comments, but I just noticed your comment about “needing more than the 50,000 i.u. of D3″. I thought the exact same
thing, I wasn’t feeling the results I wanted to feel, so I added 5,000 iu daily in addition to the weekly 50,000 i.u. The result was heart palpitations and trouble breathing in the middle of the night. I won’t do it again. Wait at least a month and have another blood test before you add any more D3, it’s not something you should mess around with, you can overdose. By the way I felt FANTASTIC right after the first 50,000 i.u., but
the next day, it was like I never took it, so I do understand what you are saying. I’m not sure why this is happening to us. Doesn’t it seem as though a daily dose would be better than ONE megadose? I’d love to hear from a doctor WHY they prescribe a megadose instead of daily dose.

May 9, 2012 at 7:46 am
(70) suraj says:

im hypothyroidism patient for the last 4and1/2 years
my tsh is within normal range for the last 1 year
vit. D 3 is 11 but normal range is started from 30

im weak my bone has no strength
i m taking treatment for the last 10 months for vit.D3
but still weakness is felt
what should i do for imporvement of my vit.D3

May 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm
(71) Bob says:

Magnesium may be needed for Vitamin D, but beware of taking it within 4 hours of Synthroid. Magnesium, Iron, Calcium, and Aluminum negatively affect the absorption. (See drug interactions.) Potassium does not, so eating a banana with Synthroid is fine, but wait several hours on the cereal and milk (calcium!), especially if the cereal is fortified with iron. Same goes for bread and crackers, which are also generally fortified with iron. Note: oatmeal doesn’t have much iron, but it’s sticky and affects absorption, so don’t eat it with Synthroid.

It’s OK to take the Synthroid and Vitamin D in the morning after waking up, and then take the Magnesium or multivitamin later in the day, e.g., with lunch.

Because Vitamin D increases the action of thyroid hormone, there are times when higher levels of Vitamin D are NOT recommended, e.g., during the first few months after starting treatment for Graves’ disease (hyperthyroidism). Higher vitamin D levels exacerbate the high thyroid levels. (Of course, if your levels are low, then vitamin D will provide relief!) Vitamin D can be stored in the body, but it’s best to find a dose that works for you and that can be taken daily.

The article and some comments mentioned T3. I would avoid taking T3 directly since it has a short half-life and therefore causes significant volatility in daily levels. In addition, it is potent, making a fluctuating daily level particularly troublesome.

May 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm
(72) Bob says:

A few extra remarks:

Grapefruit and some oranges have a CYP-450 enzyme the metabolism of which competes with the metabolism of Synthroid, effectively increasing the Synthroid dosage. (This is true for a few other drugs besides Synthroid!) Delaying intake of grapefruit or orange juice until later in the day does NOT solve this interaction problem so you may want to avoid grapefruit juice and orange juice entirely. Note, they are also found in mixed drinks and entrees, so beware!

The range of thyroid levels for which an individual feels asymptomatic can be much narrower than the “normal range.” When it comes to thyroid hormones, the “normal range” should not be interpreted as the normal range for an individual! Blood tests may not be enough to become asymptomatic. It takes learning to recognize one’s individual symptoms when hyper or hypo in order to get the dosing right. For example, when hyper, you may notice a rapid heartbeat and difficulty sleeping well. When hypo, you may instead notice irregular heart palpitations, incurable heartburn, and even migraines. (Other things cause these symptoms too so get them checked out if they’re not thyroid related!)

Finally, different parts of the body can respond at different rates, and can exhibit hypo or hyper symptoms where as other parts do not. For example, suppose you have the hypo symptom of incurable heartburn. A little extra Synthroid (e.g., 25mcg) may solve the problem almost immediately (e.g., within hours). However, suppose you have some depression that your doctor believes may be due to hypothyroidism. A similar increase in daily dose may initially cause some muscle soreness for a few days while the muscles adjust to the new levels, but it may be some weeks or even a month before cognitively you feel better and think better.

May 25, 2012 at 11:26 am
(73) Bob says:

Lastly:

Note that with vitamin D low and Synthroid dosage relatively high, you may feel “just right” since the higher thyroid levels compensate for the low D levels. However, you can be sensitive to small increases in vitamin D levels, e.g., a switch from 0 I.U to 1000 I.U. daily, or from 1000 I.U. to 2000 I.U. daily, or even just spending half an hour outdoors without sunblock. And if you get sun exposure only during vacations, you can notice a “vacation effect” where you become symptomatic during vacation due to the increase in vitamin D.

On the other hand, if your vitamin D levels needs to be a mega-dose to feel well, you might consider more Synthroid instead! Vitamin D can be toxic at high levels. Exercise caution if you’re taking more than 5000 or 10,000 I.U. daily, especially if you also get a lot of sun exposure (without sunblock). The higher your current D levels and daily sun exposure, the more likely a given oral dose of vitamin D will have toxic side effects.

Tip: Pay attention to how you feel 1-2 hours before taking and after taking your Synthroid. It can provide a hint as to whether you’re a little on the hyper or hypo side.

May 26, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(74) Bob says:

Correction:

Oops! While trying to stay under the 2000 character limit, I rearranged a sentence and accidentally wrote something silly.

The sentence “Grapefruit and some oranges… ” at the top of one of my earlier post should have read:

The CYP-450 enzyme 3A4 in the liver metabolizes both Bergamottin (found in grapefruit) and thyroid hormone. Consequently eating grapefruit (or drinking grapefruit juice) reduces the rate at which thyroid hormone is cleared from the body.

Note: don’t try to take a lower Synthroid dose and compensate by eating grapefruit. The amount of Bergamottin found in grapefruit varies. To achieve stable levels, just avoid grapefruit (and drinks with grapefruit juice) altogether.

June 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm
(75) Vern says:

wow all you people think you know so much…I’ll stick to my doctor’s advice and not any of yours.

For the record,no one has EVER overdosed on vitamin D or had toxic effects from it.It is almost impossible.I really wonder where some of you get your info from.

October 4, 2012 at 12:52 am
(76) thorn says:

I read a comment that said melanoma can not be gotten from tanning booth because melanoma only happens where the skin is covered with clothing. That is completely false. Melanoma can happen anywhere on the body.
A friend died of melanoma that was located on his neck behind his ear. My daughter had a melanoma on her back which is never exposed. Melanomia can happen anywhere on the body and Tanning boths are dangerous.

October 18, 2012 at 3:03 am
(77) JonM says:

“everything in moderation is a good thing” we have heard it all before. well i hear many broad sweeping statements. truth is it all depends on the individual and their predisposition. in my case i have a predisposition for uclers and potentially a hole in my stomach. so the natural way is the best way to get my vitamin D fix. so i get out of the house and play in the sun and hopefully get to the tanning beds. think of it as personal time in our fast paced world. It really sucks when you pair Ulcers with family history of hypothyroid, cancer and heart disease. we all are going to die someday from something. the only thing we should worry about is how you as a person want to leave a mark on this world.

October 21, 2012 at 11:51 am
(78) Carolyn says:

I just the comment about getting vitamin D with sun tan beds. Stop, Do not do that. Melanoma and skin cancers are caused by the tanning booth.
Have your blood checked and let the Doctor tell you what you need.

October 22, 2012 at 7:17 am
(79) Tony says:

New research has shown there are two types of vit D,fat soluble and water soluble,with proper exposure to UVB our skin makes SULPHATED water soluable vitamin d which is the one we need.The D3 we take is fat soluble and is not as effective.Mke sure you eat egg yolks as the reason it is yellow is because of the sulphur,this is very very important.The sun cures cancer by providing us a way to make vitamin d,it does not cause cancer unless you are depleted of vitamin d and burn in the sun.

We are low in so many oif the vitamins and minerals we need in the industrialized world and repletewith toxins from food (MERCURY)and water(FLOURIDE). and western medicine has no answers.

Remember there is only one illness and that is the malfunctioning cell and there are only 2 ways of getting sick.
1:VITAMIN DEFICIENCY
2:TOXICITY

Good health.

January 9, 2013 at 11:09 am
(80) Claire Prana says:

I have thyroiditis which causes frequent anaphylactic attacks. Do you believe Vitamin D supplements would help this too?

January 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm
(81) donna says:

My level was a 7. I take 50000 a week, on top of the 3000 i I get from supplements. Does this sound right? Why is mine so low. I’m always outside. I juice, and eat healthy. I’m diabetic. My sugar get high (400+)mostly when I stress out. Which is usually everyday. My cholesterol is always in the 300′s. I make the extra. I try very hard to monitor and keep undercontrol.

January 26, 2013 at 2:15 am
(82) sue smith says:

I take 50,000 vit d a week and usually an xtra 2k with fish oil and 400mg with a multi and I’m still deficient. Soy supposingly is not good with thyroid meds so I am at a loss till I see my doctor next week. I have been fighting both for years.

I have been told to take 5k the rest of my life of vit d and at one point a major hmo told me only 1500 a day of citracel – NOT enough. I lost the strength in my legs and the fatigue is so debilitating that I don’t have the energy to do anything. I feel like I am on a constrant roller coaster and I really need to go to a vitamin specialist who understands all this cuz I don’t feel that docs do.

February 4, 2013 at 3:26 am
(83) Vintu says:

Good One…..

February 19, 2013 at 11:43 am
(84) Sandra says:

Suggestion: look into Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw D3, food-based synergistic blend, 2,000 IU & 5,000 IU capsules available. You can also open capsules & put in water. Available through Amazon, VitaCost, & PureFormulas with great discounts.
Also read Dr. Mercola on calcium impact: “Vitamin D3 helps your body to absorb calcium, but vitamin K directs that calcium to your skeleton where it’s needed. You can think of vitamin D as the gatekeeper, controlling who gets in, and vitamin K2 as the traffic cop, directing the traffic to where it needs to go. Lots of traffic — but no traffic cop — means clogging, crowding and chaos everywhere!…There is even evidence that the safety of vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency.”

March 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm
(85) suresh says:

I have been working in call centre since 4th Sep, 2006. I was always in night shifts. Since when I had started night shifts I was not feeling well. I knew that it was the side effect of night sfhits but I ignored it becoz I had not option other than night shifts. After four years the night shift started giving its results. I was having swelling in my face and hands, feets. I went to civil hospital but they could not diagnose my disease and just prescribed me some antibiotics

I was not getting any desired results. After one year I visited a doctor and he diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism. I also went through other medical test. I had the normal results of the Anti – Peroxidase test which rules out the Hashimoto’s desease. But my level of TSH were more than 400.

I was prescribed with Altroxin. My levels of TSH became low. its been more than one year since when I am taking altroxin. My levels of TSH are low but they are not in normal range. I have been taking 62.5mg of altroxin and my TSH level is less than .35. I was having muscle cramp in my calf muscle. I feel very tired. I told the same to the doctor. He advised me to go for Vitamin D Test. I was shocked to know I had 9< which is less than the normal level of 30.

Now I want to know that my Hypothyroidism is due to level of low Vitamin D. Is it all due to continuous night shift.

I still wondered why I had such an ill health. I was a healthy person and could never expect such diseases

Was it all due to night shifts?.

March 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm
(86) Radiolarian Chert says:

Your body will not make Vitamin D unless the sun is at least 50 degrees above the horizon.

The rule of thumb is, you’ll make zero vitamin D if your shadow is as long (or longer) than you are tall.

UVB is strongly scattered in the atmosphere. So strongly scattered (and then absorbed) that the sun’s angle must be fairly steep in order for the UVB to penetrate the Earth’s atmosphere.

For example, if you live in the USA at a latitude like San Francisco, or Chicago, or New York, you’ll make ZERO vitamin D for about 6 months out of the year. This is why approximately 73% of adults in the USA have low vitamin D in the ‘winter’.

March 11, 2013 at 10:00 am
(87) Jeanna says:

I know that one should avoid taking mineral supplements, at the same time as thyroid medicine, in other words, waiting a few hours, and since vitamin D is considered a mineral, that would apply to the wait as well, right?

March 13, 2013 at 3:31 am
(88) Paula says:

Hi,

I am 28years old, I was born without any thyroids, I have no function at all so I am on a high dose of eltroxine daily. I went for a blood test last week and My Thyroid leves are very low so my dose has been uped to 250per day. I also have no Vitamin D! So from today I have to take a supplement. I was never tested for this before now I didn’t realise is came hand in hand with thyroid function.

Thanks for all your comments, it has helped me understand a bit more about it.

April 17, 2013 at 4:29 pm
(89) LMS says:

What if your thyroid was removed and you take synthroid?

May 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm
(90) Mary says:

Be careful for vitamin D side effects!!! I have been under the care of an Endocrinologist for years, my thyroid was removed in the early 70s due to cancer and my parathyroid was destroyed also. So I have been on levothyroxin 175mcg I was experiencing low energy, and weight gain and blood testing showed a low calcium level. So I was put on Calcitriol .25mcg 2 per day plus D3 2000iu and three calcium 600+D every day. I have been experiencing hives with red welts, chest pain which feels like I’m having a heart attack, pain in just my left foot, very very dry mouth, irritated red eyes. I told my endocrinologist about the symptoms and she said it wasn’t the D. I won’t be going back to her again. Check out this web page on vitamin d3 overdose. Vitamin D3 2000iu High Dose – Good4lifeshop.com

June 5, 2013 at 10:04 am
(91) CARMEN says:

I have been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism since last year.
I been taking tapazol 5 mg for the last 6 months. The doctor stop the medication and then the thryroids start to go down and down 0.001 incredible. I did some blood test and the doctor told me that my Vit. D levels are very low (23) he said that to take the Vitamin D to see if the thyroids come back to the right level.
Is the Vitamin D related to Hyperthyroidism???? Is the Vitamina D will help not to take the Tapazole 5mg?? I need help and advises.
Carman

July 2, 2013 at 10:47 am
(92) Theresa says:

I have tested low for Vitamin D for the past years. My levels have been between 10-18. I also take thyroid medication. None of my doctors, nurse practioners and endocronologists have ever mentioned taking Vit D. I finally was diagnosed with Discoid Lupus on my scalp and body. Again I was never told to take Vitamin D. I was prescribled alot of other medications that cause blindless, hair loss etc. Ive seen over six dermatalogist over the past 5 years. What a waste of time and money. They all gave me free tubes of steriod cream and the dermatologists never never tested me for Vitamin D deficiency. I guess that is how they stay in business, come back for more medications. I finally found a very descent and honest physican who requested 16 different blood test. He said I was healthy except the Vitamin D level was very low, again 18. He told me to start taking 6000 units of Vitamin D per day along with magnesium and calcium. He also told me to cut back on sugar, fast food, coffee, etc. He wants me to eat as healthy as I can so we can see how my body reacts with real food instead of junk. I have been taking Vitamin D now for three weeks and the swelling on both my arms have gone down. My arms had the appearance of measels on my skin. Ugly and painful. Now it is gone. If this is working for my arms and I can see it imagine what it is doing to my whole body. I cant wait to see more positive results.
I too have leg and body pain with no energy and hair loss.

July 17, 2013 at 6:12 pm
(93) Darla Nofziger, ND says:

I was Dx’d with Hashimoto’s almost 15 years ago after repeat miscarriages. I’ve been up & down with T4 meds everything from .50 – 1.50 while pregnant.

Recently my Dr. tested my Vit D which was very low (23) in spite of supplementation & the considerable amount of time I spend in the sun. I live in Metro Atlanta, GA so we get lots of sun. I have a genetic flaw on my vitamin D receptor so that I’m sure doesn’t help! My levels are finally starting coming up after getting off the 50,000 weekly RX & on 2000 UI daily with extra calcium.

The weird thing is… I used to CRAVE the sun like an asthmatic craves air. Now I don’t really care. I still like the sun but if I get caught inside for a day or 2 it doesn’t make me depressed or stir crazy anymore.

Oh & to the comment that vitamin D causes kidney stones… A lack of water, hydrochloric acid, or magnesium present with excessive calcium causes kidney stones.

Also, carefully consider accepting advice that tells you to avoid natural foods (like grapefruit or green leafy veggies etc.) to be able to take meds or more meds. Humm… Sounds like nonsense. Of course spoken like a nutritionist :-)

August 20, 2013 at 2:05 pm
(94) Michael says:

Marti,
Obesity is caused by eating too much — Especially eating not-natural food.
Cholesterol is mostly caused by eating “oil saturated flour” in the form of biscuits, donuts, cake, pie crust, batter-fried anything. If you aren’t eating food straight, unprocessed, from a tree, stem, vine or else it is plucked out of the ground — don’t eat it.
Type II Diabetes has one total, complete, and guanteed cure: stomach surgery or “banding” which prevents the person from stuffing endless amounts of carbohydrates, starches, and sugars down their gullet. On the other hand a person could just change their eating habits (ain’t gonna happen!!!).
This is not crude or insulting language, it is science.
Michael

August 31, 2013 at 1:24 pm
(95) ellen says:

you talk a lot about hypo thyroid but what about hyper – need to know what vitamins to take and how much vitamin d is too little or too much
PLEASE, PLEASE ANSWER THE MORE INFORMATION ON HYPER

September 2, 2013 at 5:10 am
(96) Judith Bernet says:

What about dangers of too much calcium in blood if taking high doses of Vit d….how do we check that…? my doctor was wary giving me too much Vit D…and I had a low result in a blood test, but have Hashimotos…so now I am confused with these recommendations of very high doses. It is hard to say really but since I am taking some Vit D now I think I do feel better but would have had low Vit D for years. The biggest problem is when you are over 50 doctors blame the menopause for everything…and I had early, or was in treatment for endometriosis by taking minipill all my life and stopped having periods in my 40′s. I now at 57 have aged terribly and suffering all sort of complaints. My skin is wrinkling all over at a rapid rate and I have joint problems. My blood tests for Thyroid are always “satisfactory” for the doctor but if you are on normal insurance they don’t test everything all the time…often just T4…I take .75 Euthryrox per day.

October 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm
(97) Lisa Norton says:

I would like to thank all of you bloggers for taking the time to leave comments. I have found your website and readers comments both helpful and comforting. I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid after two years of being told I was peri menopausal!! And fobbed off with HRT tablets. I still struggles with my weight and have aching joints but the depression and constant tiredness is under control. I am on.100mg of Levothyroxine daily and have stayed on the same dosage since being diagnosed nearly 2 years ago. I have a brilliant doctor now who makes me have regular checkups, but I will try some vitamin D3 for the joint pain. Thanks again and keep going :-)

October 20, 2013 at 7:17 pm
(98) Lauren says:

I was wondering if you could help me…I went to an endocrinologist when I was suffering from all the hypothyroid symptoms. He took blood and recommended that I have 250mg of B6, 10,000 mg of D3, 12.5mg of iodine and I was feeling a lot better. However, now I am having a lot of trouble digesting food. I had a blood test taken again when I was concerned after reading up on all the iodine toxicity articles. I had been taking the D3 for three years, daily, and the blood test said that my D3 was low! How could that be? Could I need thyroid hormone replacement? The doctor said that my thyroid was slightly on the low side. However, does the iodine effect those levels, but still not cure the problem? Thank you for reading.

November 13, 2013 at 11:30 pm
(99) Maria Rodriguez says:

I need to find some natural remedies or I need to find out what underlying problems could be causing everything.
I have had hypothyroidism for 5 years and have been on levothyroxine since. I just found out 4 months ago that I was defficient in Vitamin D and was put on 50,000 mg of Vitamin D3 since then my levels haven’t changed much, maybe 10 points. My thyroid antibodies are 30,000 and I was told the normal range was 0-9. My T3 and T4 are within range and an ultrasound of my thyroid came back normal. Please help!

November 14, 2013 at 9:28 pm
(100) Janet Lea says:

Why can’t my daughter and I tolerate Vitamin D?? We are both low and when we attempt to supplement we both feel awful immediately!! It is an overnight reaction to it and we have tried different forms of it including soy free and even liquid but we always have the same outcome. I swell up and feel extremely hypothyroid after one dose. Why?

November 15, 2013 at 8:55 am
(101) Dawn says:

D causes a lower level of blood glucose. If you have AI or any condition which causes hypoglycemia I would advise great care in the daily amounts of this supplement. If you get reactive hypoglycemia you may suffer from psychological symptoms as well as physical ADR.

I must also emphasize that the vitamin D is often produced by big pharma who have taken over many supplement companies. Don’t be fooled nowadays. It isn’t the kind you would get from the sun which never builds up in your tissues to become toxic.

All the environmental toxins are messing with our receptors and enzymes, including the mass medication of fluoride as mentioned by a poster earlier. Seems more convenient and profitable to fill us up with pills than deal with the mess that has been made of our health by those who were trusted with it.

November 15, 2013 at 8:57 am
(102) Dawn says:

Oh forgot to mention but make sure the soy in your tablets is not from GMO soy, but I doubt whether they will tell you most soy is GM

November 28, 2013 at 8:45 am
(103) elvira walker says:

It is fun and sometimes knowledgeable to read some of these comments. However, I have found most to be inconsistent with what good thyroid doctors say, and actual people who have lived with this condition a long time. I would do my research first, before trying out any of the suggested remedies. Remember all things are not for all people. What one person needs to stay and feel well varies, with a plethora of things. No two thyroid people are alike. Therefore, how can we all do the same thing and get the same results. Doing some of these things can make some feel worse, and even do harm to their everyday health. Take caution. This is a complicated condition. Remember the thyroid is the little engine that runs the body.

November 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(104) Willa says:

My doctor told me he’s had patients who were overdoing it on Vit. D and had problems. He said 800 mg. was enough, isn’t Vit. D fat soluble?

December 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm
(105) erika says:

Willa – my doc suggested 2000 and i was so concerned that I spent about a month reading everything on D. We’ve worked our way up to 5000/day.

Do your reading. My opinion is that ‘common knowledge’ on vitamin D is extremely inaccurate. I’ve paid special attention to the experts who have dedicated years to studying D and their opinions.

I’d wager those with problems were actually experiencing problems with the delivery mode rather than the D itself. 800 is not much and many studies don’t show any difference between the effect of 400 and 800.

December 7, 2013 at 11:48 am
(106) Paulie says:

@ everyone, we have thousands of Vitamin D receptors and none of our cells, including our immune system response cells, can do their job without it. Our bodies make and store some for a few months, but it can be quickly depleted before winter arrives.

Plus, each time you are ill you deplete the vitamin D (and other vitamins and minerals) so even if you had enough to fight a cold, you may not have enough resources to then fight a flu bug! (the reason we are sicker in winter, folks. Take your supplements and take a sunny holiday to replenish when you can)

@elvira walker, the reason why we are here looking for help is our “GOOD” Thyroid Docs could care less about Thyroids. A quote from the Endo, ” you can’t die from Thyroid disease, and I have Diabetics here who are actually sick.” Okay Dioc, understood. We are chopped liver…

My Endo also said to me, after over 11 years of seeing him every 3 months and being on a roller coaster of changing medication and him never once examining my thyroid, doing any other tests or caring how I was health wise as only TSH mattered, said “did you know that taking any food with your medication is contraindicated?” *rolls eyes* THAT was the only thing he ever said to me other than derogatory remarks about my weight.

I left his office that day and never looked back and never felt better, being he switched my meds almost every 3 months and made me more hyper/hypo than the Hashimotos! YOU keep your “specialist.” Mine was crap.

December 12, 2013 at 12:14 am
(107) Huntington Beach Thyroid Institute says:

After reading this post I am totally agreed with the author advice that Vitamin D is the best alternate of thyroid problems.

December 15, 2013 at 10:10 pm
(108) Laurie L says:

How do I know which “brand” of Vitamin D to use….I want to take something that is not all “filler”

December 31, 2013 at 6:43 pm
(109) Rosealind says:

Many people who are hypothyroid are overweight. Don’t forget that vitamin D (not actually a vitamin but a hormone with receptors all over the body) is fat soluble and so people who are overweight will not be getting the benefit of vitamin D in small doses because it is stored in fat cells. I’ve read that overweight people actually need about 1000IU per 20lbs of weight – and that it may even help lose weight. See Dr Sarfraz Zaida book – The Power of Vitamin D.
And take note also that if you take higher doses of Vitamin D you also need to take Vitamin K2 (best made from Natto) for balance. Read Dr Mercola’s article – http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/26/the-delicate-dance-between-vitamins-d-and-k.aspx.

I have Hashimotos and am just starting the vitamin D journey after a very low result of 11. Fingers crossed. :)

January 29, 2014 at 10:40 am
(110) teres fair says:

can you take Vit D3 at the same time as the l-thyroxin on an empty stomach before breakfast or should you take it with food? thank you

February 12, 2014 at 11:23 pm
(111) vitamin d says:

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it
seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You obviously know what youre talking about,
why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos
to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

March 17, 2014 at 3:31 pm
(112) Sunshine says:

Hi everyone :)
I had radioactive treatment (RAI) in 1987 following Hyperthyroid diagnosis (Graves). Following the RAI I become Hypothyroid (Hashimotos ?) and was prescibed 100mcg Levothyroxine which I take daily. My question is will taking Vit D3 help me with my Hypothyroid condition? Thank you.

April 18, 2014 at 7:14 am
(113) Aura says:

Hi All,
I am post menopausal and have gut issues. I began taking a Vit D3 supplement, at around 3-5k mg per day. After 2 weeks i noticed elevated mood, after 4 weeks i started to get all the symptoms of extreme PMS- It took a while for the symptoms to line up and the light bulb to go on- about 10 days, and then i researched more on Vit D3, found it has 27 similar properties to progesterone.
I stopped the D for about 2 weeks. Within 5 days most of the symptoms began to abate. I now take 500 Mg every other day, and have no issues thus far.