1. Health

Mary Shomon

Take the Oprah Thyroid Poll

By September 13, 2010

Do you think a "tell it like it is" Oprah show that focuses on the real story about thyroid disease would transform the thyroid situation? Take our poll now.

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook
Comments
September 17, 2010 at 5:18 am
(1) C says:

Unfortunately she does have a large ‘following’. She has influenced many against Christ but then God uses even the ungodly sometimes to accomplish His will so this might be one of the times that He does that. If she uses it to spread fallacies about thyroid disease – as she has done in the past – well then we could all protest the show!
Blessings,
Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Thyroiditis sufferer (w/ no insurance)

September 17, 2010 at 9:48 am
(2) Daisy says:

Its not her job to be a thyroid advocate. Its our job a thyroid patients to be our own advocates. I refuse to rely on Oprah to “enlighten” the world for me. Its really up to us to take this charge.
I think Oprah’s “thyroid” problem is her own business. Whether or not she cured herself is her own issue. It is possible to reverse auto-immune disease and stop the body from attacking itsef – if that was what Oprah even had.
I don’t think we should spend this much time disucssing or worrying about what she does or thinks. No one person should have that much influence over public opinion. Think for yourselves folks.

September 17, 2010 at 12:31 pm
(3) Linda says:

I am so sick of Oprah’s opinion about anything. She might think she knows everything there is to know about everything, but she certainly does not! I wonder how many people followed her advice and in doing so jeopardized their health.

September 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(4) Diane J Marie says:

Oprah believes strongly that everything happens for a reason–a cruel philosophy. It is arrogant. It is compassionless. She has never had a “health show” that truly offered help to anyone for anything. Just fluff health stuff.

She’s not living in the real world. She is not trustworthy. She is profoundly rich and to hell with those who are ill. Clearly, her philosophy tells us that we deserve it. Her philosophy in particular is engineered to hurt females and disease females are prone to.

I vote for damage control: We don’t need anymore of Oprah’s abusive philosophy, spread around.

When someone takes the actions of royalty, why suck up to them?

September 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm
(5) Monarch59 says:

Diane j Marie, you are so right about Oprah.

“She has never had a “health show” that truly offered help to anyone for anything. Just fluff health stuff.”

She doesn’t really care about people, no compassion. She just has actors and actresses because they just made the latest box-office movie and somehow she has some personal gain in having these “kinds of peope” on her show.

I lost respect for her when she said she was “cured” of her thyroied disease. I believe she said this because she did not want attention from the media on this disease but wanted us to see she had an excuse for being so overweight. I new something was going on with her because when the camera got up close to her face I could see the big splotches and she looked so RUN DOWN and of course the weight issue.

She doesn’t really care for people. I see she is not very sympathetic or affectionate. She is trying but its not in her to be a touchy, feelie person! She’s really fake and phoney to me.

Thanks for your comment

September 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm
(6) Monarch59 says:

I do think that this disease needs to have an advocate like Michael J Fox has been doing for Parkinson’s disease; Then there’s Jerry Lewis for his Kids.

I believe we need a Jerry Lewis or Michael J Fox, NOT an Oprah. WE need someone to take this to the same limits as Lewis and Fox. This disease needs to be taken more serious and to expose to the community how dangerous this disease is and what it cause and how debilitating it can be. I believe they don’t know a whole lot about this disease because there are no pamphlets to be found, or given at the time of diagnoses.

When diabetics are diagnosed, they walk out with literature.

Doctors seem to think that checking the TSH is going to help us. They need to learn more about the hormones and what they do just like the issues with Menopause. The doctors sure get involved there and test BOTH hormones but yet with this disease they don’t want the check any of the hormones when that — is the problem — the hormones are not within RANGE.

I’ve had 3 doctors that mistreated my symptoms so how many more are out there that have no or very little education about this disease. I believe there should be seminars and classes for doctorZ to attend. They try to treat this like a cough — here take this in the morning — and good by. Then the dose is like giving half a teaspoon of medicine for a cough.

A REAL serious, well educated doctor would at least start a HYPOthyroid person on 50 mcg not some measlie .05 and say here this should do it.

The problem lies with each individual doctor but we must all work together to find a way science to hear our voices to step up to do more research on this disease and to bring a more serious awareness to EACH AND EVERY — Medical Doctor.

Most doctors feel like the enemey and their office is a battleground to try to convince them of how REAL our symptoms are that need to be treated!!!

September 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm
(7) CC says:

I stopped listening to Oprah over two decades ago. She is just a windbag! She hasn’t done anything to really enlighten others in a truthful manner. We have only one we should look up to and learn from…we do not see, hear or feel this One. His unconditional love and faith gives us daily strength and purpose. Dear Mary please stop wasting your time with Oprah. Her interest is shallow and consumed with greed. I am thankful for your website. Please continue to your quest to keep helping us all with our thyroid issues. Hashimotos One since 1999! I was told my depression was not thyroid related Ha! It is because of you I am almost back to normal! Again Let Oprah issues die, she is not interested if is does not help her financially.

September 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm
(8) Paula says:

I don’t listen to Oprah either anymore. Like others have said it is just fluff and controversy. But I am sure many would take her show as gospel.

September 18, 2010 at 11:49 am
(9) Hashi girl Laura says:

Enough, enough about Oprah and her problems (whatever they are). We have a tendency to make her out to be bigger than God. Who is she? Just another person in the lime light spreading her opinions and everyone thinking she so FABULOUS. I have been dealt this hindering autoimmune for nearly four (4) years now and I am consistantly looking for a better solution than the one my endocrinologist has given me. I totally agree that we all need to be our own advocates. We do not or never will need Oprah’s help. So enough about her. She does not ask us our advice concerning her thyroid now does she. Whatever she does is her own business.
Let this subject please go away!

September 23, 2010 at 6:42 am
(10) anita5000 says:

While I understand the criticism of Oprah, she is no doubt a powerful media figure. If she could produce a balanced perspective on this, it might be informative. The most important messages to me are that thyroid ANTIBODIES, not just hormones should be checked if a woman has thyroid symptoms (I went undiagnosed for almost a decade, sent to many “mental health” professionals and was devastated when i found out it was my thyroid and not pyscho-somatic as they had suggested for years and years). Also, i wish she could raise awareness of Hashimoto’s Encephalopathy… it was a neurologist who looked for the encephalopathy- my 10th neurologist, who found the thyroiditis. I was shocked and had to recover not just from the HE (and treat the thyroid symptoms too with hormone), but from the psychological impact of being misdiagnosed for so long and labeled as crazy. Pretty devastating. Doctors should watch what they say if they don’t know what’s wrong with you. Guessing does damage!!!

September 26, 2010 at 1:27 am
(11) izzaty says:

Ok, I too stopped listening to her long ago. She has perpetuated the diet industry by multi billions of dollars. A woman in her fifties who cannot get comfortable in her own skin and insists on taking the whole female population down with her. ick

notwithstanding, she is powerful. but, how do you know what her thyroid problems are and whether it would do any good for her to speak out? she already downloaded a complete BS story several years ago. Why would it be different now?