1. Health

Mary Shomon

Is Thyroid Cancer the "Good Cancer?"

By September 9, 2010

September is Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month, and sites around the web are talking about thyroid cancer. One hot button issue is the idea that thyroid cancer is "the good cancer." They're writing about it over at DearThyroid, in their piece, "Myth-Busting: The Good Cancer -- We're Talking About Thyroid Cancer." And while you're at it, also check out pieces at Empowher: Thyroid cancer is not the good cancer, and The Good Cancer? at CureToday.

So what is all this "good cancer" business all about anyway?

Typically, the "good cancer" label is one that some doctors use, because many types of thyroid cancer are highly survivable. According to the American Cancer Society, the following are 5-year relative survival rates for the three common types of thyroid cancer, and Stage I, II and III:

• Papillary thyroid cancer: Stage I - 100%, II - 100%, III - 93%
  • Follicular thyroid cancer: Stage I - 100%, II - 100%, III - 71%
  • Medullary thyroid cancer: Stage I - 100%, II - 98%, III - 81%
Compare this to breast cancer, for example, which has 5-year survival rates for stage I - 96%, II - 84% and III - 52%, and lung cancer, which has 5-year survival rates for Stage I of 45 - 49%, II 30-31% and III 5 - 14%.

Yes, statistically, thyroid cancer is, in comparison "the good cancer." And while the survival rates for most forms of thyroid cancer are very encouraging, and offer hope for recuperation and a cancer-free life for most people who are diagnosed, it's still common for patients to feel frightened, angry, confused, and even shocked to have any type of "cancer."

Thyroid cancer patients need to deal with a number of life-changing issues. Most thyroid cancer patients will require surgery, radioactive iodine treatment, periodic scanning for recurrence, and a lifetime of thyroid hormone replacement medication to treat the hypothyroidism that results from having the thyroid surgically removed. To then be told that this cancer is "good" when you're in the midst of coping with thyroid cancer treatment and its aftermath feels denigrating and callous to some patients.

I have an idea. Maybe the medical community can change their terminology: instead of saying thyroid cancer is the "good cancer," how about "thyroid cancer usually has a good prognosis?"

What do you think? If you are a thyroid cancer survivor, have it now, or know someone with thyroid cacner, what are your thoughts about it being called "The Good Cancer?" Take our "Thyroid Cancer: The Good Cancer?" Poll now.

Poll -- Thyroid Cancer: The "Good Cancer"

Statistics: American Cancer Society

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
September 9, 2010 at 9:52 pm
(1) Pamela says:

I haven’t had a great experience with my thyroid cancer: six weeks of vocal paralysis post-surgery and a difficult, nine-year journey before finally feeling euthyroid. I know that many thyroid cancer patients have had much more difficult roads to follow. However, other cancer patients generally have such an exceedingly difficult path, especially when it includes chemotherapy, that I am very grateful that my cancer is “only” thyroid cancer.

September 10, 2010 at 3:44 am
(2) Hannah says:

There’s those that get surgery and one round of RAI and it’s gone, but there’s also those that have the surgery, RAI, more RAI and some more RAI and then some more surgery, then perhaps vocal cord loss, and radiotherapy. In between you are on and off your thyroid medication , feeling hypo, back on and feeling hyper, getting high blood pressure, and you haven’t felt good in ages. After 4 years still not cancer free… If you call that ‘good cancer’ YOU can have it I always say!

September 10, 2010 at 8:30 am
(3) Adriana says:

According to my endo, thyroid cancer is not the “good” cancer. He said that one of the skin cancers is the “good” cancers. I don’t recall which of the skin cancers it is. None are “good” in my opinion.

September 10, 2010 at 8:55 am
(4) RitaAnn says:

No cancer is a “good” cancer as the RAI treatments kill your immune system and it takes years to get it back to normal. However, it is one of the “more curable” cancers but it is not to be taken lightly. I found that because this is considered the “good and highly curable” cancer that doctors are very complacent with treatment and tend to treat all patients alike when that is not the case. Each person needs to be treated on an individual basis as everyone’s body does not respond the same.

September 10, 2010 at 9:02 am
(5) Chris Wood says:

I do not have a problem with calling thyroid cancer the good cancer. In fact, I found it helpful to quote this to my family and friends when telling them about my diagnosis. It saved much grief and anxiety for them.

Yes, cancer is serious, but thyroid cancer is not even in the same ballpark as other cancers. I am 7 years out from diagnosis and treatment, and so far there is no recurrence.

September 10, 2010 at 3:56 pm
(6) Phileo says:

I agree that thyroid cancer can be less devastating than some other cancers. However not everyone is so lucky as to have a good outcome from the “Good Cancer”. Google “Siskel” of Siskel and Ebert and see what I mean.

September 10, 2010 at 9:05 am
(7) Leslie says:

I have the Papillary form, had my thyroid out 2 weeks ago, doing great, I was hypo before surgery for over 4 years of misdiagnoisis, so now in comparison I feel alive again!! Im havig some issues with my calcium levels, still taking 1500 mg 4 times a day, getting facial twitches, some tiredness from it too, still have RAI coming up and the cancer had spread to lymphnodes so will find out if it spread anywhere else during my scan, but all in all I gotta thank my lucky stars that I dont have one of the “bad” cancers…lol.. bad, good, cancer is cancer, it just sucks to have it, but glad I have this kind and not any other kind that is less treatable and requires longer treatment. Instead of calling it the “Good” cancer maybe doctors could call it the “Pain in the Ass (or should I say neck) Cancer” because its really been more of an inconvienece than anything. I think calling it a “Good Cancer” isnt that big of a deal, I think they use that term to keep your spirits high rather than to be little what your going through. I think most doctors will tell you the number one key to a quick and full recovery is a positive attitude. Then again when we get hypo we tend to get a bit edgy and sensitive hu? lol

September 10, 2010 at 9:06 am
(8) Chris says:

I hate that is is referred as the “good cancer”. No cancer is good and they put you thru hell. Maybe not as bad as other cancers, but it is cancer. On Sept 9th I had my 1 year anniversary of the 2nd surgery to remove the cancer. Yes I survived but it was a very stressful year. Doctors need to change what they say to patients.

September 10, 2010 at 9:40 am
(9) Sabra says:

After 6 years of several surgeries, vocal cord paralysis, multiple thyrogen test, multiple RAI’s, radiation treatment, 3 different doctors, and still being tested/scanned? Good cancer – yeh right!!!!

September 10, 2010 at 9:53 am
(10) Antoinette says:

Thirteen years ago, I was diagnosed with papillary cancer and since then had 2 surgeries, 3 bouts of RAI treatments and countless doctors visits. In those years, I have been told on several occasions by doctors that “If you’re going to get cancer, thyroid cancer is the one you want…” Not knowing anything about this cancer when I was first diagnosed, it made me feel a little better mentally. Now, however, after going thru so much pain, discomfort, stress and depression, I literally want to scream and yell when I hear that this is the ‘good cancer’. Even my own family and friends now roll their eyes at me when I discuss my cancer, since they think its been a walk in the park for me.

Bottom line….its called cancer of the thyroid for a reason. Cancer is cancer and no matter where a person has it….its damn serious and its definitely not ‘good’. Should I consider myself a good cancer survivor?!?….I don’t think so. The medical profession needs to wise up and eliminate labeling what is good or bad since its not helping us patients whatsoever.

September 10, 2010 at 9:57 am
(11) Crystal says:

At 17 my son was diagnosed with anaplastic thyroid cancer and given 18 months to live. Three months earlier a MRI for his neck from a football injury showed not one single tumor only a herniated disk. He is now 31, married and has a new baby. I watched him struggle with the irony of a teenage boy having an old woman’s disease. The doctors removed thyroid, parathyroid, lymph nodes, tumors and left jugular vein over several operations. His radioactive iodine treatments were numerous and strong. He can have only one more treatment. He still has three tumors in his neck and one over his heart that they are controlling with synthroid. His heart stopped and he quit breathing in front of his brother and me in the hospital. His brother being a nurse knew what to do. He is being treated for osteoporosis , his teeth die from the inside out and he has a cyst in his brain due to all the radiation. He barely sleeps four hours a night because he has to be on such high doses of synthroid to suppress the growth of the remaining tumors. His joints ache and he suffers panic attacks that he will not admit to because it’s not manly. He’s alive…AND I AM THRILLED! Thanks to God and the five wonderful doctors that cared for him enough to go above and beyond, his brother who literally revived him twice and his wonderful wife who sat through many hours at the hospital with me. He put himself through college and he leads a fairly normal life. We were told that phrase ‘Good Cancer’ until they started his surgeries. There is no such thing as a ‘Good Cancer’.

October 1, 2010 at 6:14 am
(12) Nancy says:

New Treatment Approach to Rare Cancer Results in Prolonged Survival
ScienceDaily (May 27, 2010) — Aggressive treatment of anaplastic thyroid carcinoma has dramatically increased survival in the small group of patients who chose to undergo it, say physicians at Mayo Clinic.

——————————————————————————–

heir findings will be presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, to be held June 4-8 in Chicago.

Mayo oncologists say this new approach reflects the need to aggressively treat metastasis even when this rare cancer seems to be confined to the neck. Historically, anaplastic thyroid cancer has been treated with surgery and radiation, but due to rapid spread of microscopic cancer, only between 10 and 20 percent of patients survive past a year. Because the prognosis for this cancer is so poor, Mayo physicians felt that a more aggressive pilot approach that added in chemotherapy early on was merited.

Of 24 patients with newly diagnosed anaplastic thyroid cancer seen at Mayo Clinic between 2003 and 2007, 10 patients with local disease elected to pursue the aggressive approach. After surgery, the patients were treated with intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), a more tailored form of radiation therapy than has been used before, and with aggressive chemotherapy (docetaxel and doxorubicin) in efforts to simultaneously control disease in the neck and forestall metastasis.

One-year survival in this group was 70 percent, with six of the 10 patients (60 percent) alive at least two years post-treatment — five of them without evidence of disease. Two of these patients were treated more than three years ago and are still in remission.

“The results are far superior to what we have seen before or even expected were possible,” says Keith Bible, M.D., Ph.D., a lead investigator of the study, along with Robert Foote, M.D., and Julian Molina, M.D., Ph.D.

September 22, 2011 at 11:07 am
(13) janis wenger says:

My mom had anaplastic thyroid cancer and died 4 months after diagnosis. Before the pathology report came back she was told “if you have to have cancer this is a good one to have”. So thankful to hear your son has survived it and is enjoying one of the greatest joys in life, a new baby!

September 10, 2010 at 10:51 am
(14) Beth says:

I was also given the line, “If you lined up all the cancers in the world & had to pick one, this is the one you’d want to pick.” This was at my post-op visit, as the surgeon was removing my sutures. Cancer is the one word no one ever wants to hear-it doesn’t matter if it’s a “good” cancer or a horrible one. Cancer is cancer. I feel fortunate that my surgeries & RAI treatment went well. I’m 8 1/2 years post diagnosis and although my endo won’t say that I’m cancer-free, I feel that I’m as cancer free as I could be. Of course, I don’t like having to take extra meds every morning, but then I remember what it’s like to be hypo and am grateful for the medication and the feeling of almost-normal that I have. And I’m grateful for the fact that I’m still here & can see my children grow up, rather than watching them grow up without a mother that is able to attend all of their activites and be an active participant in their lives.

September 10, 2010 at 11:35 am
(15) Marie says:

I was told that if God has to get cancer he would want thyroid cancer. Two years of being dismissed regarding the 30 lb weight gain, exhaustion, etc then to finally find a doctor that took me seriously and took the thyroid out and found the cancer. I was told the RAI would kill all remaining pieces so they gave me the standard dose which turned out to be way too much for me and killed my salivary glands. I now have to live with no saliva, a water bottle at my side constantly and what food I can eat tastes like water. I can never have anything with fruid acid or vingear again as it burns the skin off my mouth and tongue. Like is better than when I had the cancer but as far as being the good cancer, not buying it.

September 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm
(16) Mary-Ann Lupa says:

This phrase is no consolation after you have buried your mother and father w/ Cancer. I felt the doctor’s were being very arrogant w/ the use of the phrase “good Cancer’.

Plus, the rigors one goes through to regulate one’s metabolism is no picnic. Before finding my correct dose of synthroid, I was irritable or wanted to just cry when I looked at a menu. Undeniably, the thyroid regulated every part of my body from skin through hair. And the surgery disrupted my menstrual cycle so bad, I had to leave a seminar because of major bleeding. No doctor dealt w/ that or the night sweats. All things are relative, but my spouse still deserves a medal for those regulating years. MAL

September 10, 2010 at 12:52 pm
(17) Johnnie says:

Good Cancer? I do not think there is any such thing, but it is fair better cancer than breast, lung etc etc. But having said that, it is not without its life issues. I got thru the surgery, No problems, (no symptoms before hand no levels out of range, found my obgyn) had mets to lymph nodes. Had RAI pretty heatly does in patient for 5 days, with wicked reaction with edema to point of almost being intubated. (oops little tissue left in thyroid bed prehaps?) still did well, recovered pretty decent, then..the fun stuff stared. I have was left in a hyper state for 7 years as they insisted it prevented regrowth, i am a nervous aniexty stricken mess. I have hyper reflexes and had to stay focused on much of any thing and if i could just SHUT UP!! I have taken cytomel, just made my endo crazy and my heart go nuts. I lost weight in beginning, (now i have 20 i need to lose) everything hyper caused has worn me out. But i am a live…so i am grateful, my 1st cousin died from this papillary ca because of LACK OF FOLLOW UP. But i went thru memopause way early from the RAI and its not been fun… I like to stay in side and reading a book , focus focus!! I am alive, that is good. On my update scans, which i do with thyrogen, i have continued uptake in the tip of mose for 3 years. We will wait and see what happens. It sucks. I feel crappy and could list more symptoms you can expect, but again…I am alive..and even though i am crazy young 50, I enjoy the life i get to have. But the symptoms suck, no one warned me. I think patients need to know some of these things can happen to them.

September 10, 2010 at 2:06 pm
(18) Lisabeth says:

I think calling any cancer a “good cancer” is an oxymoron. Cancer, no matter how curable affects the lives of the patient and her family in immeasurable ways. I was diagnosed with a follicular variant of papillary cancer in 2002, and had my last RAI in 2005. My surgeon never referred to my cancer as a good cancer – only a highly curable cancer, which I feel is a better description. However, having lost one sister to lung cancer, and recently losing a second sister to endometrial cancer, I am confident in stating that my particular type of thyroid cancer was a “non-event” compared to the treatment protocol my sisters endured. I often told people that because my condition was highly curable, and the treatment less involved than most cancers, my condition shouldn’t even be called “cancer” because of the reaction the world evokes in people. That said…again, there is no such thing as a good cancer.

September 10, 2010 at 5:11 pm
(19) Judloved says:

hope it is promising because my mother has this disease and with the passing of the days the pains are very strong support, thanks to medications as Hydrocodone used to chronic pain, according to notes in findrxonline and prescribed in the hospital, she still maintains the hope that will pull from this disease.

September 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm
(20) Pat says:

I am a thyroid cancer survivor. I believe that the two words “cancer” and “good” should not even be in the same sentence. I just put them together to make a point. I totally agree with this article and wish that everyone would realize that even though thyroid cancer is treatable and has a fairly good prognosis if caught early, it is still cancer and should be treated like any other cancer. It carries a lot of worries, emotional roll coaster rides, many medical visits, tests, medications and lifelong monitoring, and gets you face-to-face with your own mortality. It may not be the baddest but it is not good either. Thanks for “getting the word out” during Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month.

September 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm
(21) Delores says:

There is NO such thing as a “good cancer”. All cancer sucks. I am a 15 month “survivor” of Breast Cancer. I had a lumpectomy, then chemo, then radiation. Then my hypo thyroid number shot up to 36.3. So I am now on a higher dose of NatureThroid. The oncologist thinks it was not from the chemo, but probably “scatter” from the radiation that caused this issue. So now what.

I know a woman who went through Breast Cancer, then Thyroid Cancer, and now just had a hip replaced because of cancer found in her hip bone.

So which of these is a “good” cancer? NONE!!!!!!

This idea of a “good cancer” ranks right up there with a comment made to me during my treatments by a “friend”. I was having a rough day emotionally when I was usually able to stay upbeat, and she actually said to me “What, I thought you were Ok with having cancer”. I still can’t believe anyone could think that let alone say that to a cancer patient.

No one, ESPECIALLY a DOCTOR should ever call any cancer a “good cancer”.

Enough said here.

September 10, 2010 at 8:20 pm
(22) Debbie says:

The “Good Cancer” idea really blows me away. Cancer is Never good. Thyroid cancer is different in that not only does the patient have to deal with the cancer itself but also all the implications of not having their “command central for their bodies. Someone in the medical community really goofed on that one!

I agree with the author that from here on out the medical community needs to say “Thyroid cancer has a better prognosis for the patient than most other cancers.” Well stated.

September 11, 2010 at 3:05 am
(23) Terry says:

I hate to say anything negative but my experience with Thyroid Cancer has been terrible. It was discovered 2/08 with a complete thyroidectomy and RAI. I was a nurse for over 23 years and was working in the school system. I had never had any problems with my thryoid so it took me completely by suprise. My father had also just recently died with esophageal cancer. I also no longer produce tears or saliva. I have gained over 50 pounds and have no energy at all. I also have DM 2 and have developed severe perpherial neuropathy. I had to stop work and fight daily with depression and trouble with my concentration levels. But I am alive and try to live each day to it’s fullest.

September 21, 2011 at 5:48 am
(24) larry says:

I’m sorry you’re going through such difficulty. I had my tt
in nov 08, one node tested positive but after reading about the hellish effects of RAI I have passed on it.

I got the same line I think most people get -
“Well take the thyroid out, you’ll have a sore throat for 2 days then you’ll just take a pill a day” Nothing about the
negatives of no thyroid, getting the right dose, etc etc

September 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm
(25) Jean Baugh says:

At a dentist visit in 2001, the hygenist noted I had a lump on my throat that I had never noticed. She suggested that I see my family doctor. I did this, and he quickly referred me to a ENT. After several tests and FNA, the only thing he could find was a lump in the left side of my throat. I directed him to try to shrink it with thyroid as it was interfering with my breathing. After 3 months of treatment, it had grown so we elected to have surgery to remove the left side of my thyroid. A week later, I went back to the ENT to have the stitches removed. That was when he said pathology had determined that I had papillary cancer. He never called it “good,” but explained that if one had to have cancer this was the best kind as the cure rate was so high. Exactly two weeks after my first surgery, I had surgery to remove the right side of the thyroid. Then followed eight months of full body scans and RAI. At times I was so weak I could hardly walk. Through all this I managed to work at my job as an office and facilities manager. I decided to go ahead and announce this to everyone in the office. My assistant said she would be my legs while I felt so bad. Other people were considerant and helpful. I still go every six months for blood work. I am overweight, have osteoporisis and fibromyalgia, but can I blame these on the cancer and subsequent treatment? I don’t know, but I’m thankful everyday that the cancer was found in time. After my operations, I delivered a dozen red roses to my dental hygenist.

jdbbird

September 12, 2010 at 2:20 am
(26) Tanith says:

I don’t think any cancer can be called good. My journey started when I was seven months pregnant with my first child in 2007. Initially doctors told me that it was just hormones and was nothing to be concerned about until I couldn’t swallow properly. Being told you have cancer at eight months is terrifying. Being told it was a good cancer by my doctor did nothing to calm my fears. After having it removed along with parathyroids and lymphs node and being separated from my child for six weeks after RAI. I’m just thankful that she and I are here.

September 13, 2010 at 8:37 am
(27) Widow says:

After losing my husband to papillary thyroid cancer you may imagine how I feel about the term ‘good cancer’. .Actually it was referred to as the BEST cancer. Bah, humbug!!!
Best wishes to all though and I hope you never have to go through what my husband had to.

October 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm
(28) Janis Cappiello says:

I am so sorry of the loss of your husband. It may be a “good cancer” but for me it has changed my life and my families lives. I can’t remember what I was like before this. But I am grateful to be here!! I run a thyroid support group in Mass. It really helps to talk to others fighting this NOT SO GOOD CANCER!!!! I hope you are doing well.

September 13, 2010 at 11:29 am
(29) Karen says:

After watching friends go through everything they had to for breast cancer . . . a year of chemo, double mastectomy . . . I don’t even like to call my experience with thyroid cancer cancer. Not that what I went through a year ago when I was diagnosed and am still going through now with follow up scans, blood draws and trying to get my hormone level right is easy, but none of that seems to compare to what other cancer patients have to go through. I know I will have to take this hormone and deal with all of its side effects for the rest of my life, but other cancer patients have the constant worry that their cancer will come back and that when it does it will kill them. I worry about that too, but not that it will kill me, at least not for a long time. I’m 39 and I feel that if I had to get cancer, I was lucky to get thyroid cancer. I’m embarrassed when people make a big deal about what I went through because to me other cancer patients have it so much tougher.

January 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm
(30) Diane says:

Karen I know exactly how you feel. I feel the same way. There are times I feel embarrassed to even compare “my cancer” to what my friend with breast cancer are going through. I just had my thyroid removed on Nov. 16th. And everything was okay. The pain was not that bad and I was out of the hospital the next day. I was able to talk and eat and felt okay. Then about a week later I guess you could say it hit me. I was extremely tired all the time. I was put on a low Iodine diet and had to cook for myself and had to take my own food to our Thanksgiving Family get together. I came down with pneumonia two weeks later and I couldn’t keep any thing (food) down. I had my RAI done right before New Years so I had to spend that alone. I am waiting for the results of my full body scan and when I called the doctor’s office they act like it’s not a big deal. Anyway I babbling. No cancer is a “Good” cancer, but I can’t get over the feeling that I’m not a “true cancer survivor.” Oh yeah and I can’t taste anything. That really sucks.

September 13, 2010 at 1:43 pm
(31) Shelly says:

16 years ago I had papillary cancer in one lobe of my thryoid. Both lobes plus two parathyroid glands were removed. I immediately felt tons better than I did, but continue to have ups and downs. I continue to have menstural problem, hoping menapause hurries up, bowel issues, skin issues, alergy issues, exema etc…. When I was told my dr told me that if I was forced to choose a cancer to have but could have any kind of cancer, this is the one to have. since my mother died of uterine cancer, one grandmother of breast cancer and another with mouth and throat cancer. I felt very grateful, however feeling good is a constant battle. My dr keeps upping and dropping my dose. When I finally got a dose of L-thyroxine 3oo mcg a day, I began to lose the weight I had gained, you no longer can see my scalp and I actually needed to get my eyebrows done, what happened, my dr lowered my dose. My TSH went from 0 to 15 and everything went crazy. I am now back to 250 mcg and I am pretty good, but not as good as before. thyroid cancer may be highly survivable but totally life changing. I try to explain my moods and why I don’t feel well to my husband but it sometimes is a strain. I take tons of supplements just to be able to focus and have energy at work. Not having a thyroid is no fun.

September 17, 2010 at 4:55 am
(32) Justin says:

Its been 3 years out since my diagnosis, but its all very well saying it is a good cancer, but at what cost is it have your thyroid ripped out? To live a life of ups and downs being on thyroxine. I now have heart problems which I didn’t know I had. Thyroxine is playing havoc with my heart being on high dosage. Unfortunately it wont be thyroid cancer that kills me but heart complications and it seems that thyroid and heart problems go hand and hand. Sorry but if it seems so pessimistic but I hope future generations wont have to suffer the same deteriorating life after surgery.

September 17, 2010 at 8:48 am
(33) JulieAnn says:

Oh sure, gaining 101 pounds in 4 years is “good”. Having two surgeries and RAI is “good”.
Being on thyroid medication for life is “good”
Having to have my blood checked every 4-6 weeks is “good”.
I too, have buried 3 immediate family members from the results of other cancers and it is no fun for sure, but to call any cancer good makes me think the doctor is pretty crass.
I was only 24 when my cancer began growing, I was fit and trim, full of life with a newborn baby. I still remember how good it felt to jump out of bed and begin a busy day. I have pushed hard to regain some of that vigor but I don’t think it will ever come back. I started taking a combination T3 and T4 drug last summer and it has helped some, but after 22 years of taking thyroid medication and fighting depression and weight gain (which I have no history of prior to thyroid cancer) it still feels like I am battling the long-gone cancer. I am VERY thankful to God above for letting me watch every sunrise and seeing my only child give birth to two babies, but I do not think there is a good cancer.

September 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm
(34) mcgaelicgal says:

I’m in the middle of my adventure with “the good cancer”. It’s proving to be more challenging than I’d ever dreamed. I think the term is misleading to the patient, and even to some doctors. Mine left me totally unprepared for everything I’d be going through. I’d be angry about it, but I’m just too bleepin’ tired to be anything right now. I go for my radioactive iodine treatment in 3 days, so I’ve been of all meds and on a ridiculous diet for nearly 2 weeks. Because of the size of the tumor and its corresponding radiation dose, I will have to avoid contact with my furkids, hubby & friends for a much longer time than I’d originally heard. I think that if someone said “good cancer” to me right now I’d slap him! ;-p

September 19, 2010 at 4:30 pm
(35) Pam Udell says:

I was diagnosed at the age of 16 ( I am now 42) and was told I had nothing to worry about. They took out half my thyroid and my mom made them go in 6 months later and take out the other half after she did some research. Sure enough, it was all over the second half. Long story short, after college I asked for all my records and saw that my dr. (one of the “best” in Chicago) had not taken my thyroglobulin levels for over 10 years when I went off my thyroid!! Isn’t that the point!? When I asked him to take my levels they were at 54! On my synthroid they were between 3 and 10 for 10 years and I was never told. I have since had 2 recurrences and a partial neck dissection. (They removed 30 lymph nodes from my neck.) My thyroglobulin is again elevated but they can’t find anything with the test they have done.

Do I feel it is a “good cancer”- no! But, I do feel it is so much better (for me) than what some other cancer survivors’ have gone through. I like to think that I can coexist with my cancer knowing I will always be dealing with it. I think about it all the time, especially knowing that it is somewhere in my body, but for the most part I feel good.

I think that by calling it “good” it doesn’t allow us to express our feelings about it…bottom line- people do die from this and we need to stay on top of it!

September 20, 2010 at 9:10 am
(36) Nancy says:

I agree, no cancer is “good cancer”. However, I had a “few” cancer cells in my thyroid, and had it removed. Not enough to continue with RAI afterwords. It took 2 years to get my levels corrected and my muscles ALWAYS ake and I’m always tired. I also have skin cancer. I find that just as bad. I have to watch every mole that pops up and have them removed, which leaves ugly scars. So which is the “better” cancer? Neither. But neither killed me. I’m not sure if I’d be able to say that if it was breast cancer or any other form. So I thank God every day that he gave me the lesser of the evils.

September 22, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(37) Brett Stark says:

It’s amazing that anyone in their right mind would call cancer good. I have been dealing with full thyroidectomy
for 21 years it’s made my life living hell..

if at all possible switch to natural means of chemo ..do
not go with the mainstream approach of slice and dice.

there are other ways to help yourself to rebalance..
take control of your situation and stop being lazy to
rely on doctors for all the answers.. it’s your body only
you know truely how you Feel ….

September 27, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(38) Tammy says:

My daughter was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer last November. The doctors said if you had to have cancer, then this is the one to have. They way I see it, no cancer is good enough for my child or for anyone else’s.

October 1, 2010 at 8:59 am
(39) Karen says:

I watched my grandpa die a horrible death from lung cancer and my dad from pancreas cancer. My sister went through hell with breast cancer and losing both breasts at age 40. When my surgeon told me he thought I might have thyroid cancer and I needed surgery, I was happy to hear the mostly positive outcome from thyroid cancer. I told everyone that yes, I was having surgery, BUT if I was going to get cancer, this is the one I would pick as it is a “good” cancer to get in comparison to others. It was comforting to me and to them to have that positive thought. I was lucky in that my thyroidectomy showed no cancer in the end. I still think of thyroid cancer as the “good” cancer and have no problem with others describing it as such.

October 2, 2010 at 11:19 am
(40) Nelda Slater says:

As a 30 year survivor of both Follicular and Papillary cancer I guess looking back I am aware that it wasn’t as bad as it seemed at the time. Back then, my case was referred to a cancer board of five doctors and each one had a different opinion as to how to treat my case. That was the hard part as it basically left it up to me to decide how to handle it. I chose the least invasive treatment.

October 3, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(41) Andrea says:

Some patients probably find the “good” concept reassuring because cancer is usually associated with (1) death, and (2) treatments that feel like death. That’s probably why my endocriniologist declared my papillary thyroid cancer as the “ideal cancer” because (1) I wasn’t going to die, and (2) easy treatment (“no chemo, no barf”).

Then of course, the benefit/downside of not dying means a lifetime managing… cancer. Doctors struggle to find the right balance of hormones, many TC patients actually do feel like death when hypo, Roger Ebert is a sobering reminder of the consequences of surgery complications, and radiation treatment in isolation can be scary.

As for my own experience with thyroid cancer, well, I could do without. I’ve had three recurrences and I’m not even 30. My next 50 years will probably be just like the past eight – filled with questionably effective and time consuming surgeries and treatments.

Sure, I’d take my thyroid cancer over your pancreatic cancer any day. I’d also take my cold over your flu. But just because you spent the day over the toilet doesn’t mean my stuffy nose doesn’t suck.

March 11, 2011 at 4:20 am
(42) Mary in SoCal says:

The survival rates on the “good cancer” failed to mention hurthle cell carcinoma (HCC). It is classified with follicular cancer and is only about 2 to 4% of all thyroid cancers. It really needs to be classified separately. Unlike follicular thyca, HCC is NOT iodine avid so it is nor treatable via RAI.

My HCC was relatively small, 2.2cm but had multiple vascular invasion. In my case it has up to a 98% recurrence rate. So far I am no evidence of disease over 3 years out but I have this hanging over my head for the rest of my life.

Plus try to find an endo who knows how to follow up on HCC.
Good thing I did my homework and studied up on HCC. After three endo’s in the San Diego area I had no choice but to go to MDAnderson in Houston for proper testing and follow up.

What is “good” about a 98% recurrence rate, having a “good” cancer that has few options for treatment, and travelling over 2000 miles twice a year to get proper treatment?

March 11, 2011 at 7:21 am
(43) D-ann says:

I watched my mom fight kidney cancer, (she won). The following year i watch as my father died a painful death from a metastised kidney cancer. A year later my mom developed Congestive heart failure. I’ve dealt with this all in the span of 2 years.
I had thyroid cancer. It never showed up on the scans, however, I did have Grave’s disease and was the lucky 5% that was overweight yet still in the throes of thyroid storms. (God bless the nurse practicener that found it, docs couldn’t) My cancer was caught during the pathology on my partial thyroidectomy to help control the thyroid storms. They are not sure they got it all, however, we try to keep it suppressed.
I’d call this the ‘good’ cancer if that means it’s curable, controllable and I get to see my son start his adult life!
Unfortunately, we found a lump in my breast in Jan ….

March 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm
(44) Misty steele says:

I was 23 years old when i found out that i had thyroid cancer ia 29 now the dr told me the same thing its the “good cancer”.he told me about the cancer.but at the time my survival was 87% I just want to say i went threw hell! I had my thyroid takin out in 2 different surgeries & had 6 TB scans i had to do the iodine radiation 2 times then after the 1st radiation i had to have another surgery 2 remove a glad removed under my chin b/c the glads became blocked w/stone
And developed sever dry mouthNow i have spent thousands of dollars to get my teeth fixed b/c the dry mouth has caused
has caused my teeth to go bad and had 8 teeth
Pulled & i have acid reflux does that sound like
A “GOOD CANCER” i think not!!!! I was 23 and knew
No 1 that had it so me and my husband had to learn
Things on our own i have cancer free for 2 years
this month …. No all of this does not happen to everyone
but it did to me i am a stronger person now GOD
BLESS EVERYONE who i dealing w/this now or
Who is a surviver now!!!!
Reflux

March 14, 2011 at 4:06 am
(45) Michelle Toomey says:

Went I went to the doctor with slight tenderness on my throat when my then 4 year old would hug me. Was set for a test at neuclear medcine. Was told by the locum that my results were back in – they needed following up but not too worry it was not cancer. 6 weeks later of the the endo department – was told that what ever it was was either cancer or not. That thyroid cancer was a good one to get as it was easily treated. A biopsy was taken and a week later get the call “its not what we first though” its either cancer or its not…. what else could it be. Just over four years ago I was diagnosed with medullary thryroid cancer. Was told that it did not respond to radiation or chemo and the result was to have my thyroid removed and a central and right neck disection. I had this operation in April 2007 it was successful and they believe they got all the cancer. It was also checked to make sure it was not going to be passed onto my children otherwise they would be best to have theirs removed sooner rather than later. I ended up with a massive infection in the wound and spent two and half days in ICU with a breathing tube. Am pleased to say it was a slow recovery but so far my now six monthly test come back good.

March 25, 2011 at 10:55 pm
(46) charles says:

NO cancer is the good kind I am a survivor of non-hodgkins and my wife who is a heart patient (in bad health) was just diagnosed with thyroid cancer. She may die from surgery, treatment or the cancer itself. So who wants to tell me that it’s the GOOD cancer? Tell that to our 6 year old son!!!!

May 22, 2011 at 8:13 pm
(47) Melanie says:

I was first diagosed with a goiter which grew rather large (at diagosis 4cm diameter at surgery time 8 cm diameter). When I told my “best friend” what was wrong with me; she told me that is was “ok” as her mother-in-law had “thyroid cancer” and all they did was remove her thyroid and she was “fine”. She actually thought that would make me feel better. I guess the fact that her mother-in-law was obese, suffering from diabetes, thinning hair and high cholesterol escaped her notice as being a result of her thyroidectomy. Oh, and mentioning cancer when I hadn’t stopped to think I might have that also didn’t make me feel better either!

When my goiter (60% of my thyroid) was removed and they found cancer; she actually said “Great! Now you can’t get cancer!”. Wow! Talk about completely insensitive and clueless. Needless to say due to her lack of support when I really needed it most (among other issues that arose) I no longer consider her to be my friend. Apparently the mention of having to go through a cancer screen every 6 months completely went over her head, as did the mention of the possible spread to the lymph nodes in my neck that would need to be watched.

It’s these types of things that make me very angry at the term “good cancer”; what the heck is so good about any cancer! The complacency that doctors show, feeds how the public reacts, and then I am made to feel like I shouldn’t say I survived cancer, shouldn’t be scared, I am overreacting. I didn’t have breast cancer, or colon cancer, so how can I hold myself out there as a cancer survivor? I have been seriously made to feel like I barely had/have anything wrong with me.

My constant fatigue muscle and joint pain is seen by others as “just an excuse to not do anything”, which is why I am overweight. Meanwhile I feel scared that the cancer will come back, spread and I could die; and people just say “ you have the good cancer; your fine!”

Yeah, well you can have it; then we’ll talk.

May 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(48) Angela says:

I do not have thyroid cancer. I went to the endocrinologist for the first time to see what I did have – turns out Hashimoto’s . . . but he said I needed to take a sonogram of my thyroid to rule out thyroid cancer – which he blurted out – I wasn’t prepared for him to consider that I might have cancer – and then he says right after, “But if the sonogram shows that you do have thyroid cancer, not to worry – that is the good cancer.” I almost fell off the chair! I started to cry. He looked shocked. I quickly recovered and said, “You don’t know me, so you don’t know that my mother is 2500 miles away dying of primary liver cancer. So far as i am concerned, there is no such thing as a ‘good cancer.’” He had me leave there with no meds, no recommendations on how to feel better. When he sent me the results of the sono, he said, “You have 2 nodules less than 10mm and a cyst in your throat. See me in 3 months.” Really? *sigh*

August 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(49) Rachel says:

I dont think I would mind too much about thyroid cancer being called a good cancer, though I think the implications should also be explained at the same time as this statement, because the term ‘good cancer’ comes across as if there is actually a benefit to it. I think a ‘less dangerous cancer’ might be a better description. I just found out I have an enlarged thyroid and Im waiting for tests, I do hope I dont have thyroid cancer but if I do I think I may screw and anyone insinuating it is good in any way. Though personally I find an enlarged thyroid being called a goiter pretty offensive too. I not a very offend-able person so I dont quite know why it offends me.

September 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm
(50) Alicia S says:

When I first found out I had thyroid cancer my doctors all said if I was going to get cancer this is the one to get. I felt lucky that I had thyroid cancer. Not so much anymore. I mean, I’m glad the survival prognosis is so much better, but to know that for the rest of my life I have to deal with weight gain, lethargy, hair loss, taking medication. I guess someone who sees the glass half full would say, “Yeah, but your alive”. True and for that I am grateful, but no cancer is a good cancer to have.

September 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm
(51) Ashley says:

I had a horrible painful 3 year battle with thyroid cancer (4 surgeries including 2 on my chest where they cracked my sternum open and I still hurt every day from it). Nicely written article, but I would like to add that in addition to the things you mentioned, almost all of they thyroid cancer survivors I “know” on my online support groups have many related health issues. Parathyroid damage and the calcium/Vit d/magnesium juggling act. Constant fatigue. Heat/cold intolerances. Having to go off your meds every 6 months to a year for scans. Etc etc etc. I am telling you – there is more to it then “take a little pill everyday”. It is some serious life change going on.

September 20, 2011 at 8:25 am
(52) Janet says:

I was told for three years that the growths in my thyroid were not cancer. After I insisted on getting the surgery to remove the one side of my thyroid because the growths were so big it was hurting when I was laying down I was told that they were cancer and I was lucky because it was the “good one”. It doesn’t matter when you are told its cancer, there is nothing good to it. There is no good form of cancer, there is still a risk of it coming back and constant testing and fears after being told you have it. I often wonder, if I wasn’t so persistent on removing half of my thryoid, how bad would the cancer had gotten before they finally noticed what it really was.

September 20, 2011 at 10:32 am
(53) Lucie says:

18 years ago I had stage 4 Melanoma Cancer with a 30% chance of survival, and as you can tell I am still here and Melanoma free. 7 years ago I got Thyroid cancer and my doctor said, ” at least its the good kind of cancer and not Melanoma again”. Well I say NO! 3 surgeries, a scar from ear to ear,so much RAI that I can NEVER have it again, weight gain, heart palpitations, no sleep, too much sleep, menopause, Calcium pills, hair loss, no motivation, the list is ENDLESS. I feel like a walking add for ALL the symptons, But I am alive. NO CANCER IS GOOD !

September 20, 2011 at 11:33 am
(54) Katie says:

I don’t understand why THEY compare caners in the first place. I don’t see comparisons for different types of diabetes or allergies or ???? Good cancer? How can anything that changes your life so drastically be good? I feel so very lucky to have survived thyroid cancer, but it’s not as if I can say “oh, I had thyca so now I won’t have to worry about any other kind of cancer….” RAI alone raises the risk of breast cancer and leukemia…. not to mention the worry … about your self… about passing the risk to your kids… about exposing them to the radiation after ablation… But what I find MOST disturbing is that the doctors don’t seem to follow any type of standard treatment and no one doctor seems to understand the side effects of hypo or RAI. when my salivary glands swelled up like balloons after RAI, my gp insisted on a mumps titre. Really? anyway, thanks for this forum and blessings to ALL cancer victims- from ANY kind of cancer

September 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm
(55) Ann says:

Thank you Katie for mentioning the worry about exposing your kids to radiation after ablation. My son was 3 years old when I had the RAI and I often worry about him being exposed to me after the treatment. I asked the pediatrician about it and he was useless — pretty much not knowing what the heck to tell me and indicating that the doctors who cared for me would not have put my son at risk. How we even got this cancer is a complete mystery anyway, so how can any one assure me that my son won’t get it.

September 20, 2011 at 1:20 pm
(56) Seaside Roses says:

I do remember feeling relieved when my dr. explained that few people die from thyroid cancer.
However, it has been a difficult and bothersome journey since the thyroidectomy 15 years ago–
you have to find the correct level of replacement thyroid hormone, and that requires lots and lots of blood tests, and of course your body changes over the years.
I switched to armour thyroid meds several years ago, thankfully, but it’s even harder to find uniform levels with it, and there was a shortage/lack of it for a long time, which put me thru the wringer. I am always nervous and anxious about the fact that I am always going to have to obtain this medication, and I know that the fda is in bed with the big pharmaceuticals, and therefore has been complicit with them in trying to eliminate “natural” medications, so that people are forced to use their horrible chemical concoctions.
So I think that any kind of condition, whether cancer or something else, that makes you dependent on medication for the rest of your life is not good!!!

September 20, 2011 at 4:53 pm
(57) Melissa says:

I am almost 5 years papillary thyroid cancer free. I had a complete thyroidectomy and 4 RAI ablation treatments after being misdiagnosed for 10 years. I do not think I ever referred to thyroid cancer as the “good” cancer. My response was “If I have to have cancer, thyroid cancer sure beats the alternatives.”

September 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(58) Keri says:

The first Doctor that I saw after my biopsy before I found out that I can Thyroid Cancer said “Dont worry only 5% come back as cancer” so after the results I was schocked to find out I was in that 5%! Right before my surgery another Doctor said that exact quote to me “IF YOUR GOING TO GET CANCER THIS IS THE TYPE YOU WANT TO HAVE” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing that day and I’m still shocked today when I think about this! Doctors listen up…..this is not a good cancer to get, people don’t like hearing that they have Cancer….Yes I am lucky to be alive but this has not been a picnic or will I ever be the same person that I use to be before this “GOOD Cancer” robbed me of so many things! There are problems that I have and never once did a Doctor tell me you will or you might have these side effects…everything that people list on these comments are REAL!!! So Docotors again listen up we are not making these things up!!! I am so tired of being tired I am so tired of not getting the help I need to feel better!!! My cancer may be gone but the after effects I will live with forever!!! My medication is so high and the Doctor will not adjust my medication because my blood work is in the level where he wants it so I have to feel terrible all the time!!! I would love to have a Doctor who would listen to me and help me!! Ugh!! Yep this was the Good Cancer to get, yeah right!

September 20, 2011 at 7:49 pm
(59) Linda says:

My brother died a couple of years after diagnoses with the “good” Hurthle cell thyroid cancer.I also (not Hurthle cell) have thyroid cancer and there is not much good about it…try and get a doctor to take you seriously about weight gain and down to the bone tiredness when your TSH is .1..

September 20, 2011 at 10:16 pm
(60) Ann says:

there is no such thing as a good cancer, only a survivable one, but there is also the lifelong impact of this survivable cancer: lifelong thyroid hormone supplementation, neck scars and numbness from under my ear to under my chin, frequent vertigo as a complication from the 12 hour surgery over 10 years ago!!!!! The thyroid hormone replacement meds can become unpredictable over time and sometimes I feel very hyper and other times very tired. Synthetic hormone is definitely not the same as the real thing. I am kind of sick of people who have not had cancer at all telling me how lucky I am. Also — its frustrating that there are no known causes of this cancer.

September 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm
(61) Maribeth says:

I had a complete thyroid removal last year and am cancer free. The surgeries (1/2 in March 2010, 1/2 in April 2010) weren’t fun, but it did put an end to my Hashimoto’s symptoms. My father-in-law was diagnosed with a glioblastoma (brain tumor) 06/06/11 and died 8/25/11, even after having it removed. His tumor grew back in about 2 months. Was my cancer better than his? Yes, but only because my prognosis was so much better.

September 21, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(62) bea says:

i am a one year thyroid cancer survivor. i have had eleven lymph nodes( one positive) and two parathyroids( both positive) removed along with a total thyroidectomy. i do not consider this a good cancer. i have had salivary gland damage due to a high RAI dose post surgery, and of course there is the stress of yearly testing. i have had one good scan, and one good blood work test result. i am scheduled for an ultrasound next week. i try very,very hard to have a positive attitude and i have a blog that i write that helps me deal with some of the issues that come along with having cancer. i hope that i have helped others deal with what i have had to go through.

September 22, 2011 at 2:56 pm
(63) Beth says:

I always thought it was the “Good Cancer”, but if you have a Hurthle cell cancer it is not a good cancer. I had a Hurthle cell adenoma, thank God. But, the Hurthle cell cancer itself is a very bad cancer, from everything I have read. It appears nothing can control it.

September 23, 2011 at 3:37 pm
(64) Paul Zimmermann says:

My doctor told me that ‘if you’re going to get cancer, this is probably the best cancer to get’ when I was diagnosed with thryoid cancer 25 years ago at age 30! He told me this when I called from work to find out the results of the test they did on a lump I had removed from my neck. I hope today’s patients are treated better.

September 23, 2011 at 4:32 pm
(65) Deanne says:

I would prefer not to have cancer, but would rather deal with thyroid than any of the other ones. Its just the treatment afterwards that is so rough and years of TsH suppression that wear on me. STILL, I will take it and deal with it and be grateful.

September 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(66) Nikki says:

I am a nuclear medicine technologist, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 11 + years ago, I treat thyroid cancer patients with Rai and I scan patients with every type of cancer, I have seen very sad situations regarding all types of cancer, all cancer’s are scary, there are defiantly certain cancers I would pick over others, thyroid cancer being one of the ones. I have been treated 4 times I have had 3 surgeries for my cancer, and I feel blessed to have thyroid cancer instead one of the others. and I’m proud to say I have been cancer free for 6 years. I’m not sure why some are offended for having the good cancer, it’s a statistic, thyroid cancer statistically is the better cancer to have.

September 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm
(67) Melissa says:

I think THE GOOD CANCER is a horrible term. I think they should call it THE LIFE LONG CANCER because you are never done fighting it, you can never say “I Beat It”! Because even thought that “Cancer” may be gone, you live with the fall out everyday. And if you are lucky enough to get back to a state of good health, your only a dr. away from disaster. You have learn to be really outspoken – hard to do when you are tired, anxious and depressed. You really need a good advocate. My husband is my advocate and we have done what the new Dr. wanted for a year. My next Dr. visit my husband will be doing the talking.

September 27, 2011 at 2:02 am
(68) Patty Smith says:

My husband had the “good cancer” for 13 years before it finally took him. I think a better name might be “the slow cancer”. He had 3 surgeries, radioactive iodine 2 or 3 times, chemotherapy in pill form. His first surgery they thought they got it all and it was encapsulated. That was not the case. He never got rid of it and it just took over other organs and he eventually died of brain cancer.

September 27, 2011 at 9:01 am
(69) Carolle says:

Be honest.
No cancer is good.
Good health is the objective.
Good health = no cancer.
“Good prognosis”, for thyroid cancer is truthful.

September 27, 2011 at 11:29 am
(70) Kristine says:

We feel like we won cancer lotto.

My 20 year old daughter had thyroid cancer 5 months ago with complications.The dr. at the time said those exact words”it is the good cancer” and it was actually reassuring.
The truth is everyone has cancer cells in their body -somewhere- and at anytime they can become a problem.

On the spin side
I have two friends with children with cancer: one has died at 6 yo and 1 is hanging on but has had numerous surgeries and the odds are she will not see adulthood. My daughter has already had 2 friends die from cancer.So while I would rather not be a member of the “parents of kids with cancer club” I feel we are very lucky to have a form of cancer that is curable.

September 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm
(71) Judie says:

Maybe the reason it has a good outcome is because we are “treated” with high doses of thyroid for the rest of our lives. That is our daily chemotherapy. Life is not all roses when you have to live hyperthyroid the rest of your life. The good news is that it usually works and so there is a great outcome if you follow your plan of care.

October 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(72) Lori says:

I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer in 2004 – I was only 31 years old.

I was sitting at the computer one day and went to rest my chin in my hand and instead there was a “ball” in my hand – I had never noticed anything on my neck before. I asked my husband if he could see it and he could. When I woke up from my biopsy, my surgeon told me not to worry – there was no cancer – he had removed 1000′s of these tumours and I was cancer free. We CELEBRATED!!! A nice dinner out with friends and family, it was a great weekend and I was so greatful to be healthy.

A week later I got a call to go in and see the doctor and when he asked how I was feeling, I told him that it was going to depend on whether he had lied to me or not. I wasn’t ready to have cancer anymore – I had already celebrated – we weren’t prepared. I thought my husband was going to kill the Dr. when he said that he had been wrong and that I had cancer – it broke my heart to tell my kids who were so happy only a few days before.

I was very lucky – a I was in the operating room about 2 weeks later and thankfully I had several doctors – 1 who was not willing to allow the others to cut my vocal chords when they found the 6 large tumors on my chords.

They removed my thyroid, 1/2 the pituitary gland, 38 lymphnodes, and a great deal of muscle and tissue from my left shoulder and neck. How does that equate to “Good Cancer”.

As I said – I was very lucky, I had a fabulous support system, good doctors, and so far a great outcome as I haven’t had any recurrence of cancer to date.

I am almost 90lbs overweight though – it is so hard to lose weight!! I have issues with my body’s thermostat, mood swings, fatigue – and they haven’t been able to regulate my meds in 7 years.

There is no good cancer…

March 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm
(73) Bunny Bennett says:

Two months ago I was admitted to the hospital with a large lump on my neck. It was really sore, my neck and ear hurt and I was hoarse. After the FNB the radiologist said it was fluid filled and was not cancer. He told that he had drained the nodule and it should not refill. One day later it had refilled. My right lobe of my thyroid was removed. Again I was told there was no cancer. I was put on thyroid medication and released. One week later the pathology came back follicular variant of papillary carcinoma. I was told not to worry that this had probably been there for years, but they had sent the pathology out for a second opinion. Two weeks later it was now multifocal. I was told that I would need to have the right side removed and radiation. I went to an oncologist for a second opinion. He waved the report in front of my face and told me that in medical school they were told to choose the kind of cancer they would like to have if they had to have cancer, Thyroid Cancer was it. He said to have the right side removed, but did not see any reason to have radiation. I decided to see an ENT today. I am being sent for yet another CT. I have lost my voice again and my neck and head hurts. The ENT told me that thyroid cancer would not cause these symptoms it must be something else. She also said if I choose to have my thyroid removed it would be understandable. I asked her what she would do. She told me to wait another two weeks and see what the new CT shows and she would review the surgery report. Three doctors and three different opinions. The only thing they all had in common was to let me know that it really is not that big of deal. I wonder how they would feel if our situations were reversed.

July 1, 2012 at 11:51 pm
(74) Deborah says:

the only good cancer is the one that’s not yours…..

July 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm
(75) rowen says:

I had my thyroid cancer surgery done in australia, sept.2, 2010 im good now, the doctor’s just have to keep an eye of me, like regular checkup and blood tests.. i felt im gonna die the next day when the ent doctor i am diagnosed wiith thy ca that was a horrible feeling for me, and since im on my own my family is in overseas. i feel like… im dead. so lonely. they said good cancer…oh well… even its good its still cancer for me… i hate the feeling of being sick. not good. its nice to be healthy and living at peace everyday.i think it did also changed my cycle period. i normally have it 3 days. now its like 2 days thats iit. oh well. THE QUESTION NOW IS WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO EAT AND NOT TO EAT IF YOU ALREADY HAD A THYROID CANCER?

July 12, 2012 at 11:19 pm
(76) rowen says:

I feel depressed most of the time. this thy ca changed everything…specially now im single..no kids, no family in australia. im from the philippines, im an asian i dont know why did i have did cancer of the thyroid.. oh well i know we are only humans..they said i need counselling.. oh yes,,,, maybe after my break up last year thyroid cancer sept.2010 , then break up sept 2011 haha funny! always september a bad thing for me. bad luck hey.

July 23, 2012 at 1:08 am
(77) Heather says:

No cancer is “good”. While most types of thyroid cancer may have a good prognosis, this article failed to mention the fourth type of thyroid cancer – anaplastic thyroid cancer or ATC. This is one of the most aggressive forms of cancer. My mother was diagnosed with it on May 2, 2012. She underwent surgery to remove part of her thyroid and the tumor but the doctors were not able to get all the tumor as it had already wrapped around her trachea and had spread into her lungs and bones. My mom underwent radiation and chemo but after multiple hospitalizations including surgery to put in a tracheostomy, my mother decided to quit treatment as it was hurting her more than helping. She went on hospice care on June 27th, 2012, and passed away July 19th, 2012, after going into cardiac arrest twice in a week. She was only 54 years old.

If I hear one more person say that thyroid cancer is the “good cancer”, I will scream! Almost ever other type of cancer has a better prognosis than ATC, although I don’t wish any type of cancer on anyone!

August 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm
(78) Patty says:

Having been recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer I was at the hospital doing my pre-admission testing for a thyroidectomy. The nurse doing my paperwork says “oh that’s the good one to have. A friend of mine had it when she ws 17. She’s in her fifty’s now. You’re lucky.” If I was lucky I wouldn’t have cancer at all ! The more I think about the more it makes me mad. I’m trying to come up with a good come back line for the next person who says it to me.

August 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm
(79) fennel says:

No cancer is a good cancer, and instead of accepting this as an inevitable part of life it’s time the medical community took an interest in the cause and prevention of this horrible disease instead of cheerfully handing out the treatment when it’s too late. Cancer has a cause and doesn’t just visit at random, big pharma should find a solution not unpleasant, damaging and frightening treatment plans.

August 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm
(80) saradev says:

First – it needs to be remembered there are forms of thyroid cancer with poor prognoses. The so-called “good” thyroid cancers are papillary and follicular.

It should be fine to say that most papillary or follicular thyroid cancer has an excellent to good prognosis – because it’s true. In contrast, there are indeed problems with ‘good cancer.’ Even ignoring the sometimes less than joyful experience of patients who do well — it doesn’t acknowledge the part of the population that the disease does kill or and/or puts through repeated and damaging treatments. The “good prognosis” isn’t absolute — it’s statistical; it applies to a much larger percentage of the population than for most cancers, but it doesn’t apply to those whose disease has spread beyond a surgical fix or whose cells are resistant (or become so) to the radioactive iodine which is (despite some promising research) is the only other effective treatment.
Obviously, “good cancer” can be felt to downplay the journey for those who do survive, but may undergo repeated treatment with the stress, side effects and other risks it brings.

On the other hand, I can understand — if one is going to hear a doc say maybe you have… then the words “papillary thyroid cancer in a nodule we can probably take out” could make one willing to be cheerful or “sign up” versus words like: liver, kidney, brain, lung, or breast (unless “encapsulated,” “tiny,” and “clean nodes” are in the same sentence.)

So yes — to be real, in the world of cancer it’s the usually very good prognosis one. As for “good cancer” – the only good one is a dead one — or better yet, one that never comes into being.

August 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(81) Traci says:

I was diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer in early spring of 2009. I had my thyroid removed and started treatment. I haven’t had a stable thyroid test since my surgery. Then, 8 weeks ago my cousin was diagnosed with a rapidly growing thyroid cancer. He passed away 6 weeks after diagnosis. So no, thyroid cancer is not a “good” cancer by any stretch of the imagination.

September 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm
(82) vicki arnold says:

I had thyroid cancer and it had spread to lymph nodes and my vocal cords.I am now a laryngectomee because of the thyroid cancer.They also removed my parathyroids.Do not ever say any cancer is a good cancer because you do not know how invasive it can be.

September 24, 2012 at 9:38 am
(83) Rag says:

It was two weeks then, when I knew I have papillary carcinoma…thyroid cancer. What a shocking moment when my doctors told me that I need an immediate surgery. A solid mass in my left neck..3 cm. I was scared and nervous then but I have to be strong for my husband and my family. My friends kept telling to have second opinion…third and so fourth… Now I need to decide..to have surgery this week or have opinion to other doctors….just praying and hoping to surpass this….

October 9, 2012 at 3:43 am
(84) Angela says:

It was two months ago when I found out I had papillary cancer. I didn’t feel my nodules but my mood swings were so chaotic that I could barely even keep up, my menstrual cycles were barely non-existent but worse was the constipation then the diarrhea. No doctor could figure what was wrong. Lab test came back normal, ultrasounds, ct scans. They couldn’t figure it out. In december they did more labs, that came out abnormal then them us came next finally they saw something but they still weren’t able to tell what type of nodules. My doctor said “Let’s see what happens.” In mean time im still getting really sick. Turns out after a colonscopy found a mass on my stomach. A surgery later turns there were two masses in my abdomen and no clue why. Its now time to check my nodules they found in December. Turns out labs are still normal but us shows them has hyperechoic nodules. Dr at this time says let’s do a biopsy. I knew what my chances were because “we” research all this before. But I’m still unprepared. Who is prepared for cancer? Any kind of cancer? I understand that my doctor doesn’t want me to worry, my friends and family are reassuring me everthing is okay. I caught the “Good Cancer.” It is still cancer! I have to take medicine for the rest of my life. I have to deal with it physically and emotionally. Not my doctor my family or friends. Me. It is not a good cancer.

October 16, 2012 at 11:17 am
(85) Jean says:

I am a papillary cancer with follicular varient survivor, and have been
cancer free ten years. I consider myself very blessed by God, and although the thought that it will come back , is always in the back of your mind, I have lived a very good life, and I am only now 52 years old.
I do think it will someday catch up with me, but for now I am cancer free and doing well.
Praise God! I have been very blessed.

October 21, 2012 at 8:51 am
(86) CT53 says:

If nothing else, the publicity is making a lot more people aware of thyroid cancer and thyroid issues in general. The term “good cancer” is an oxymoron of contradictory terms, like “giant shrimp”, “living dead” and “bitter sweet”. All publicity is good publicity, as the expression says!
I have thyroid cancer and don’t think it is good…but the odds of surviving it are very good, compared with other cancers…the statistics say.

November 12, 2012 at 12:20 am
(87) Debbi says:

I had a thyroidectomy several years ago. They did a biopsy and everything they were suppose to do so I had it removed. Of course they say it’s the “best” cancer to get if you’re going to get cancer. The surgeon that performed the surgery told me that 99% of the time the results of your thyroid being cancerous is wrong!! Guess what, he was right, mine wasn’t cancerous after all. Thank goodness for that but I still had to have my thyroid removed. There were nodules on both sides of my thyroid and it had also attached itself to my vocal cords. The surgeon did leave a little piece of it attached to my vocal cords in fear of nicking a nerve! Thank goodness he thought about that! Ever since my surgery though, I get a little sore throat and then I get laryngitis, this happens at least 3 or 4 times in the winter months. Does this happen to anyone else?

November 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm
(88) Donnie says:

I was diagnosed in August, 2012. When I was first diagnosed, I thought the label of the “good cancer” was very comforting for myself, family and friends. But the longer I am on this journey, this same label has made me to feel as if I should feel badly about feeling badly because I have the “good cancer.” The terminology needs to change. Having any kind of cancer is a tough road to hoe.

November 19, 2012 at 6:25 am
(89) Dianne loveland says:

The title made me think I had no reason to feel so sick. It gave me more pressure and added to my guilt of not taking care of the needs of my children and my work. I did not allow myself to rest and pushes through two rounds of radiation. The title made it harder for me.

November 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm
(90) Kimberly95 says:

Wow, I have read lots of the comments and find myself lucky thus far. I was diagnosed with papillary/follicular thyroid cancer in July of this year. Had my thyroid removed as the cancer had already spread to the other side. I find myself telling everyone I have the “good cancer”. But I am starting to doubt it myself. My husband and co-workers have been very supportive but my children don’t seem to understand why I cannot do all the things I did before. I just don’t have the energy anymore. I am 35 years old with four teenage children who are constantly on the go and I just don’t think I can keep up anymore. I am an investigator by profession but my brain doesn’t want to work anymore. I have lots of concerns about what life is going to be like after thyroid cancer. Already had RAI and go for first scan the first week in December. Got fingers crossed for good news. I am determined to get the 30 lbs off that I have gained as well as to get my energy back. I have a closet full of cute clothes that I want to wear again!! I have my good days and bad days. Right now only take 50 mci’s of whatever of the synthyroid. But I am holding my head high and trying to make the best of what is ahead! I know this is going to be a struggle for the rest of my life.

November 27, 2012 at 10:53 am
(91) Cheryl says:

I’m 17. I haven’t been officially diagnosed yet. I have a cyst on my thyroid that they found in 2011 when I was getting MRIs for my MS. They told me it was benign but they never did a biopsy. This September I had a feeling that I needed to get it checked out because my voice was getting hoarse, I was having trouble swallowing, etc. I went and received an ultrasound and they told me to go to the hospital. I went in and received another ultrasound and they said they couldn’t see anything. I said okay. He looked closer, Saw calcium, turned me around on that exact table and called his team in and they did the biopsy right there. Three days later, they tell me that out of the 5 results, one is cancerous, one is iffy, one is benign. They didn’t tell me all five… So they told me that I have to wait six months. Am I scared? Kind of, yes. Walking around knowing that you do have cancer in your body and they are waiting for it to spread before they do anything just feels weird. I realize the risks with surgery, it’s just weird. Things will be okay though.

December 7, 2012 at 10:19 pm
(92) Racrog says:

I have heard that so many times and I think the next time I hear it I just might become hostile. Fortunately, my surgeon NEVER said it to me. In fact, he said, “Some people will say, ‘Thyroid Cancer is the Good Cancer,’ but I think there is no good cancer. However, the survival rate IS really high.” I loved my surgeon. And I appreciate that he left a little flap of my thyroid on my vocal cords so I didn’t have to worry about any vocal problems. I have to have the RAI Ablation anyway, so why worry about getting too close to the vocal cords, was his belief. I like it, bcuz I never had any problems with my voice.

December 20, 2012 at 1:27 am
(93) M says:

I am 19 years old was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when I was 18. My opinion on calling thyroid cancer the “good cancer” is just poor choice of words. After a thyroidrectomy I felt horrible my body was sore , weak and I was not able to mentally function that well. I am not the person I use to be. I use to be out going and very social. People think that thyroid is not so important but it is. It is so important. And to have any cancer is not good. I am not saying that thyroid cancer is hell but it is something I wish I never had to have. Not many people know what goes on the person may look fine on the outside but on the inside is what eats them up.

January 28, 2013 at 7:06 pm
(94) pp says:

i think it’s referred to as the “good cancer” because the doctors have the “magic bullet” in the RAI. For doctors who want to cure people, it must make them feel very relieved, if not enthusiastic, about shooting it! They should remember that the patient won’t feel that way, and indeed are facing a life changing situation, whatever the procedures coming their way.

April 16, 2013 at 10:49 pm
(95) Gloria says:

I cringe to hear the term “good cancer” because it doesn’t make sense. There is absolutely nothing good about a diagnosis of cancer. I’ve had cancer in another part of my body. It wasn’t pleasant and the treatment was worse. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 3/13 followed by complete thyroid removal one week ago. Please refrain from saying ‘good cancer’. I would much rather hear “thyroid cancer usually has a good prognosis”. I wasn’t as emotional or shocked to hear the diagnosis with my thyroid as the other diagnosis. But, Cancer is cancer.

May 4, 2013 at 12:32 am
(96) lisa roberson says:

There’s NOTHING good about thyroid cancer,it has been total HELL for me and i have had 2 surgeries,RAI,and thyriod medicines and now my body scan shows suspicious lymphnodes and still a little cancer in my thyroid bed,so someone,please tell me what is good about thyroid cancer,oh, and if my doctor EVER said it’s a good cancer,he would get SLAPPED111

June 8, 2013 at 7:00 pm
(97) Heather Hughes says:

At Last a realistic thyroid cancer blog! I have both pap/foll cancer plus hasimotos , what a journey with a so called “Good Cancer” Firstly its an age to get a diagnosis , then the removal , in two stages in my case, then the real fun begins . Getting the right thyroxine dose is a challenge, your either nocturnal or asleep for most of the day and night , then the iodine ablation, 2nd lot for me , then the gam scans and more ablation and more scans and so on and so on , then the aches and pains due to the lack of calcium , then more test more scans more radiation, all this though is not to be rushed each treatment 3 to 6 months apart so dont plan anything like the rest of your life! so whats so good about that , all cancer patients fight , struggle and hope , its a journey only we understand .

June 26, 2013 at 9:50 pm
(98) Marian Buchanan says:

My husband of 45 years died 2 1/2 months after being diagnosed with a rare aggressive thyroid cancer. He chose to enter hospice at home, with the support of all his family. So many people told us about being cured of thyroid cancer, and couldn’t understand why he had chosen this route. The message needs to be that there are different types of thyroid cancer–a whole spectrum of disease that ranges from highly treatable, manageable, even curable, to almost always fatal. Public education is a key to eliminating the use of the phrase “the good cancer.” Our family rejoices that there are many survivors, but our hearts ache that so little progress has been made to conquer the types of thyroid cancer that have such poor prognoses.

July 18, 2013 at 9:26 pm
(99) Kathryn Richardson says:

My heart goes out to those of you who have had such terrible experiences with thyroid cancer. I am 72 years old. My journey with thyroid cancer began in Feburary, 2012, when I fell while walking for my health! One thing led to another, and I discovered I have papillary thryoid cancer.
My total thyroidectomy was on March 5, 2013. My surgeon was great and my scar just looks like another of my many wrinkles! I recovered quickly. I was started on levothyroxine the morning after the surgery. It was the easiest of all my surgeries, even though I was terrified.
However, my experience with the RAI preparation was so very difficult.
First of all, my endocrinologist had told me, like so many of you, that this was the “good” cancer. that was reassuring at the time. I wish she had been up front with me about what I was facing. I was off my meds for almost 4 weeks. My emotions were on a rollercoaster, I was cold, I was so weak I could hardly walk into the hospital on the day of the RAI. I had the total body scan one week after the RAI.
I saw my endo on Monday, and she told me the scan showed no uptake except in the thyroid bed. The cancer had not spread. I’ll have to have a repeat scan in 6 months or so, but with Thyrogen this time. Meanwhile, it has been 6 weeks since I went back on my meds and although I feel better, I am not back to normal. It will be another 2 weeks before she will test my TSH and other levels to determine if I am on the right dose of levothyroxine.
Do I think this is the “good” cancer? If you compare it to colon cancer, which just killed my brother, or prostate cancer, which has drastically changed my husband’s life, I suppose so. However, I think it is time all those who treat thyroid cancer stop trying to make it sound so “good” and just be honest with us! It is highly treatable and we probably won’t die from it, but it IS a battle we have to fight.

August 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(100) Beth T says:

Hi! my battle started with surgery on sept 13, 2011. they told me 3 hrs of surgery, round of radiation and i would be good. Ha! my surgery was 9 hrs they stripped everything from my chin to my chest and i got a lovely parting gift no one prepared me for drain tubes. Then i had 4 wks of feeling like i was dying waiting for the radiation tx, which after radiation i felt nauseated for a wk. they told me 6 days after my tx i could go back to work. i’m an lpn so back to the floor i went. i was so happy because work is how i escape and get away from everything or so i thought. my second day at work i couldn’t walk straight and had already told the people that were treating me in houston what was going on, they told me it was normal and so i felt like a wimp. thank the Lord one of the P.A.’s where i work gave a crap, he did bloodwork and found my kidneys had shut down and my calcium was so high they thought my heart was fixing to stop. they took good care of me here but while i was in the hospital my houston tx people called and politely told me there were too many cooks in the kitchen they are done. i have learned kind of how to regulate all the meds i have to take and found a new dr closer to where i live. i often think back on my “if you have cancer this is the kind you want” speech and it irritates me. i am so thankful that God is watching over me, that i have a wonderful supportive husband and 2 sweet kids, and will embrace every day i get. but the term “good cancer” needs to be thrown out with the trash, none of them are good and we all fight our physical and mental battles everyday. i wish all of you luck :)

August 22, 2013 at 9:52 pm
(101) Irene says:

I find the comment of “good cancer” very offensive. I find it even more offensive when people that have had this cancer don’t even care about the comment. I felt great right after surgery and almost 5 years ago. Then after radiation and an infection I started to feel worse and have never been the same since. The brain fog, the achy body, tired, tired, and still tired, the constant need for calcium and experiencing other issues as the years go on. So If you are one of the rare people that feel just wonderful after your surgery, good for you. But time will tell. I don’t mean to sound negative but this is one cancer where the effects never go away and if you have joined any of the private group sites for thyroid cancer then those who say they are not bothered by the “good cancer” comment will soon change their mind about the ignorant comment made the medical field!

August 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm
(102) Teri says:

My surgical oncologist said, “it’s the best kind of cancer you can get”.. I thought what a joke! No cancer is good to get!
With 46 yrs of type 1 diabetes (with complications), compounded by fibromyalgia & a laundry list of other medical conditions that have debilitated me enough that I cannot work, & many conditions can be life threatening. My biggest relief was not needing chemo.
For me, this cancer is similar to my diabetes-either could kill me.
I think each person needs love & support or they need to seek it out to help in healing& living. Not everyone does well with the news of cancer, due to its stigma. We’re all different in the continuum of acceptance & what our medical conditions may be doing to affect our lives. I’ve had a most difficult time since my thyroid cancer surgery 4.10.12. Most people don’t realize our treatment makes many of us feel like we can’t function at all & has other complications. Imagine your thyroid effecting mood, blood pressure, weight, appetite, body temp, skin, hair, thinking, sleep, voice, motivation, organization, memory, air intake or lack of air, etc. My doctor just shared that I need to be hyperthyroid for at least 10 years, which is the amount of time my cancer is most recurrent & I haven’t been able to function!. That’s double the time for most other cancers to be considered “cured”! So this is the best cancer? I also found out that thyroid cancer patients cannot refer to themselves as “cured”, “cancer free” or “in remission”, since this cancer is not measured that way–we always have the threat of recurrance & metastasis..
We all want to be loved, supported, respected & accepted. Each person has their own set of feelings! Remember, even with the same diagnosis, people can feel very different–we are all individual.

September 10, 2013 at 9:20 am
(103) Melissa says:

I found it comforting when the doctor that was revealing to me that I had thyroid cancer said, “if you have to get cancer…this is the one to get. It’s very treatable”

But after that any other doctor, and especially residents and students, who said any variation of “good cancer” was aggravating. Even more so when I was hypothyroid prepping for my radioactive iodine treatment.

September 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm
(104) Michal says:

I’ve probably commented here before, but it’s important to understand that the term is very misleading. I was completely under the impression that my life would return to normal as soon as my surgery was over and I began taking a synthetic thyroid hormone. The cancer issue is scary enough, but no one told me that without a thyroid my life would never be the same. It is my opinion that doctors and medical professionals who are treating us need to be more open and forthcoming with information. It has been a very difficult 2.5 yrs. since I lost my thyroid. Fatigue, memory loss, inability to focus, hair loss, weight gain, anxiety, and so many other issues that I can’t possibly them! Mostly, doctors, especially endocrinologists, are unwilling to listen or to admit that our symptoms are directly linked to thyroid issues. We’re told we have mental disorders, arthritis, fibromyalgia or that we’re just hypochondriacs! It’s time they change their attitudes towards us and stop trying to force each of us to take the same medication. It is not a one-size-fits-all remedy!

September 14, 2013 at 8:38 am
(105) Medale says:

I enjoy, lead to I discovered just what I was looking for.
You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day.
Bye

November 8, 2013 at 10:04 pm
(106) VMR says:

Off course there is no such thing as a good cancer, but off course there are really horrible ones and ones that you don’t die from. My stepdad died in april from carcinoma 3 months after diagnosis, now my cousin has thyroid cancer. off course he will suffer but he will likely be alive to watch his children grow

December 30, 2013 at 12:34 am
(107) eve says:

If it is soo good, why do I need surgery for my less than 1cm nodule? I think I will wait before having it removed.

January 21, 2014 at 3:20 pm
(108) Vampire Academy Film Telecharger gratuit says:

Keep on working, great job!

My web-site: <a href=”http://vampireacademytelecharger.blogspot.com”>Vampire Academy Film Telecharger gratuit</a>

February 7, 2014 at 10:12 pm
(109) studnie g__binowe says:

I understand that this is the preferred option by AVG to reduce memory usage of the program, but
it is not a recommended setting if the user wants full
protection. AMC has already announced there will be a third season, which will air in October 2012.
In order for the recipient to read the email, it must be decrypted by using a password (or key).

February 24, 2014 at 11:54 am
(110) Sue says:

I am grateful that I ‘only’ had thyroid cancer but I have a lot of issues after 2 ops and 3 cycles of radiotherapy including: partial nerve damage to one side of my tongue, poor saliva production on the right side of my mouth, sore/ inflammed tongue, jaw pain, I also now have issues with poor swallowing but whether this is due to a drop in saliva production or ‘scarring’ from the radiotherapy who knows?? I get a new surprise every so often and I dont believe I was ever warned about any of these side effects.

March 11, 2014 at 10:50 am
(111) Lisa Ryan says:

I’ve been fortunate; thyroidectomy for papillary in 1998; no trouble with RAI; no issues since. Just curious; what “hellish” RAI side effects are people referring to? The process wasn’t fun, but I didn’t experience anything all that negative. Very glad to have been given a good prognosis and to have remained healthy.

April 3, 2014 at 4:37 pm
(112) Ktown women says:

Hi,
Had thyroid cancer, total thyroidectomy, iodine radiation, multiple neck
ultrasounds and take 300mcg of synthroid a day because of needing
TSH to be extremely low . Apparently TSH feeds any remaining thyroid cancer cells that is left in body. I was also told there is no way at all to get all thyroid cells due to the thyroid is also in the back part of neck.
*****Now for 3 months I have been battling extreme back pain that originated in the left hip. Physical theraphy, prednisone, muscle relaxants, and pain medicine helps. A sneeze,cough, slightly movement with severe back spams are non stop. Now I read that thyroid cancer can spread to hip and other bones.
EVERYONE ACTS LIKE THYROID CANCER IS NO BIG DEAL. SO NO I DONT THINK EVERYONE SHOULD THINK AND LEARN IT AS A GOOD CANCER. ITS NOT.

April 6, 2014 at 6:21 pm
(113) ruth droke says:

My grandson 27 yrs. old was just diagnosed with thyroid cancer, to me any cancer is not good.