1. Health

Mary Shomon

The Menopause Thyroid Solution Explores Thyroid and Hormone Problems In Women Over 40

By August 20, 2009

I wanted to let my About.com readers know about the publication of my new book, The Menopause Thyroid Solution: Overcome Menopause by Solving Your Hidden Thyroid Problems. The book was just published by HarperCollins, and is written for two audiences:

• Women in their 40s and 50s who are suffering symptoms often assumed to be related to perimenopause and menopause -- i.e., weight gain, fatigue, moodiness, erratic periods, sleep problems, and loss of sex drive -- who may not realize that these can be symptoms of hypothyroidism -- an underactive, slowed-down thyroid or "thyropause" so to speak.

• Thyroid patients in their 40s and older who are suffering perimenopausal or menopausal imbalances in their hormones -- including reproductive hormones and adrenal/stress hormones -- that may be destabilizing their thyroid, and causing new symptoms and health concerns

Women in their 40s and older are actually the group at highest risk of developing thyroid problems. Rather than suspecting thyroid problems and getting the proper tests and evaluation, however, women are often being given estrogen and progesterone hormone treatments ("HRT"), antidepressants, or sleeping pills -- which miss the real problem entirely, or even make symptoms worse.

And women with thyroid problems don't realize that as early as 40, the shifts in estrogen and progesterone balance -- coupled with excess physical and emotional stress in our lives -- can make it difficult to keep our thyroid conditions and health in balance.

The Menopause Thyroid Solution explores the connection between thyroid problems, perimenopause and menopause, and offers practical guidelines to help women get hormonal issues properly identified, diagnosed and treated.

In addition to thyroid diagnosis and treatment, the book also explains the pros and cons of traditional, natural and bioidentical hormone treatments for estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, pregnenolone, and cortisol imbalances. Effective exercise, mind-body approaches, and complementary options -- including herbs, supplements, and nutrition -- that can help women 40+ balance hormones are also discussed.

More information is available at The Menopause Thyroid Solution website. The table of contents and a free chapter from The Menopause Thyroid Solution is also online, as well as a downloadable checklist of thyroid, perimenopause, and menopause risk factors and symptoms.

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Image: HarperCollins/Mary Shomon

• Comments
    August 21, 2009 at 8:02 am
    (1) ibivi says:

This is exactly what happened to me. I started getting almost all of the symptoms for menopause. My doctor told me I was too young for menopause as I was still getting my period. My hot flashes and night sweats got really bad so she finally put me on low-dose estrogen and prometrium after my period had stopped for 6 months. I was 47 at the time. I just turned 57. I still get PMS-type symptoms every 28 days. If I go off HRT many of the menopause sypmtoms return. My thyroid started to fail around this time as well. My TSH levels started to rise. My T3 and T4 levels didn’t go out normal range for a while. I started to get symptoms of hypothyroidism but it was discounted because my clinical levels were still normal. I think it took about a year before I was officially diagnosed as hypothyroid and started on medication. And on top of everything I had a lot of stress in my life because of my work situation. So stress was a huge issue for me. So I certainly could have used your book back then. Mary, thank you for all of your work. Your site is most helpful. Take care.

August 23, 2009 at 12:21 am
    (2) LA Wolfe says:

I am getting a copy tonight! This is very exciting. I went into early meno after a hysterectomy and my hormones have never been more out of whack. I have been looking all over for answers. I loved your other books so eagerly await the arrival of my copy.

August 27, 2009 at 9:50 pm
    (3) Jacqueline says:

Oh, that looks good! Thanks so much for posting – never would have known about it. I think I may have blogged about this before here when menopause was brought up before, but a really wonderful resource is this article from Marcelle Pick at her Women to Women site. If I can link to it, here it is… Hypothyroidism in menopause a whole-body perspective

September 3, 2009 at 4:14 pm
    (4) Joy says:

Congrats on the new book!

December 8, 2009 at 4:47 am
    (5) Menopause symtoms says:

My friend already read this book and she highly recommends it to me. I will try to pick it up this week in a bookstore that sells this. Gratz on the new book

September 16, 2013 at 8:50 am
    (6) Elizabeth Klisiewicz says:

The link to the Menopause Thyroid site does not work. It says under construction. Do you have an updated link?

November 12, 2013 at 4:38 am
    (7) Deb says:

Yes, please update the links here. I also could not get to Mary’s checklist.

March 2, 2014 at 11:09 pm
    (8) Barbara says:

I started menopause in my around 26. I was having hot flashes
    and etc. I discovered at age 59 that I have a genetic condition
    called Hemochromatosis. It causes an early menopause and
    infertility.

The doctor’s were told me that it was impossible to enter to menopause
    at such an early age. They should have been looking for a cause
    not laughing at me.
    So is menopause at an early age is possible, Doctor’s do not know
    everything.

It was a case of malpractice, at my expense!!

March 19, 2014 at 5:56 pm
    (9) vickie says:

Iam a 45 year old woman an i am in good health but i think my bidy is going thur menopause . the reason i say this is because i have night sweats , mood changing , cant sleep at night , so i need to know what i should do ? well i know u might say first go to your DR . well true but i really need to know is there any thing else i should tell him .could u tell me the procedures for this .