1. Health

Mary Shomon

Generic Version of Cytomel — Thyroid T3 Drug — Approved

By July 16, 2009

Mylan Pharmaceuticals has announced that it has approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its generic version of the drug Cytomel. Mylan has already begun to ship Liothyronine Sodium Tablets USP in three sizes that match Cytomel's dosages: 5 mcg, 25 mcg, and 50 mcg.

Mylan's liothyronine sodium tablets are the generic version of King Pharmaceuticals' drug Cytomel®, which is a synthetic form of the T3 hormone. Cytomel had total U.S. sales of approximately $54 million for the 12 months ending March 31, 2009.

Synthetic T3 is used as an adjunct to levothyroxine or desiccated thyroid treatment in some patients with hypothyroidism, as thyroid hormone replacement for some thyroid cancer patients prior to scans, and in rare cases, as a sole form of thyroid hormone replacement.

Source: Mylan Pharmaceuticals

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photos: clipart.com

Comments
July 17, 2009 at 11:12 am
(1) Linda says:

Is the generic form of cytomel as good as the brand name.
I had problems with generic Synthroid and had to switch back (I have problems with sythroid period but I have not been able to find an endo who will even consider Armour or Nature-throid).
I also take Cytomel and want to know if the generic is as good.

July 23, 2009 at 6:37 pm
(2) SRoll says:

I was shocked when I tried to pick up by Cytomel prescription over the weekend and was told it would be $53. I usually pay $15. When I questioned the pharmacist, he indicated there was a generic equivalent and the insurance company would no longer pay for Cytomel. Times are tight, so I asked him to give me the generic. I took the first one Tuesday morning, got to work and for several hours I felt like I was going to pass out. Took another one yesterday morning, same result, but a less intense. Same result today. I assume the negative reaction will lessen over time, but if it doesn’t, I’ll have to switch to the Costco pharmacy to get Cytomel at a reasonable cost.

November 2, 2010 at 10:27 am
(3) Kari says:

Thank you so very much for your postings!!!! I have been taking the generic cytomel made by Mylan for two years now. In addition I have heart failure and fibromyalgia. I have been having major heart palpatations, skipping beats, light headed, passing out, exhausted and panic attacks. I have been blaming my heart failure for all of these issues. I contacted my pharmacy last week and asked to be put on brand specific cytomel. I take 25 MCG three times a day. I feel like a human being again! The palpatitions, skipping beats, panic attacks and dizziness have all subsided to a ‘normal’ for me. I can actually function now. I thank you so much for posting your reactions! I would have continued to blame my heart failure for my poor condition. It is awful that companies are allowed to produce and we are FORCED to take generic medications. I do not understand the generic process. Cutting corners to risk peoples health! I am outraged with Mylan Corp. Those employees that over rode the red warnings should be made to feel that their poor product has done to peoples health that rely on them!!!! The new health care bill really frightenes me!!! Thanks for helping me to function again!!

June 8, 2011 at 12:15 am
(4) steven says:

I actually had the exact same reaction. I feel strange telling people about it because its supposed to be exactly the same medication.
But i found a few pills from my old prescription and switched back. I felt back to normal after i switched. I think i’m just really sensitive to changes in thyroid medication

July 24, 2009 at 10:10 am
(5) Nancy Gammons says:

I was given the generic version of cytomel when I last filled my prescription. It doesn’t work for me. This time I asked for and received cytomel, and I’m back on track. The problems with the generic were the same as without the cytomel: no energy, wanting a mid-morning nap, general malaise, tiredness, low mood. My thyroid was removed last fall, and generally I feel better than ever, except for the cytomel replacement.

July 24, 2009 at 3:37 pm
(6) Linda says:

I have been on the generic brand for about a month. I have not noticed any difference. It works fine for me.

July 25, 2009 at 2:49 pm
(7) Debbie says:

I buy from Costco and they gave me the generic without asking. To SRoll – I called Costco for the price of these drugs, for 60 25mcg cytomel it cost $65.00 plus cents, for 60 25 mcg generic by Paddock it cost me $54.58. I called my Ralphs store (supermarket in so. calif.) and their price for 60 25mg Paddock generic was $44.19. I will be going back to Costco to get my Cytomel for $11.00 more until I hear more about the track record for the generic brand. But do shop around price wise if you don’t mind the generic, you never know who will have a better price.

July 26, 2009 at 9:32 am
(8) Linda N. says:

I was given the generic Cytomel from Rite Aid Pharmacy. I am on both Synthroid 50 mcg/day and on Cytomel 12.5 mg daily (split dosage half in the morning and half at night). I noticed my heart racing more and skipping beats after less than a month on the generic. I went back to brand specific after discussing this with my endocrinologist. I am concerned with this new health bill going through whether we will still be able to get brand specific medication.

September 7, 2011 at 11:57 am
(9) Naomi says:

Linda N….. I hope this reaches you. Did your doctor start you off first on Synthorid? And if so how much? I’m currenlty on 88mcg of synthroid down from 100mcg and I want to start taking cytomel.

July 27, 2009 at 10:47 am
(10) Sherri says:

Thanks to others who have tried generic & shared finding it inferior to brand name. Will try generic soon for price break, but do share concern that it might not work as well. Am on blend of Armour and Cytomel- which is the ONLY thing I have found to somewhat normalize my metabolism from hypothyroidism. Would be 200# without it!

July 27, 2009 at 12:43 pm
(11) Traci says:

I have been taking the generic for Cytomel since it became available. I don’t think I have noticed any differences, but am still waiting. I have noticed my heart racing for what seems like more than usual, but it is hard to tell if it is the generic drug, or the typical fluctuations in TSH. I’m thinking that as long as I stay on the brand specific Synthroid, things should be fine.

Since I mentioned the brand specific issue, I would like to share what I have recently learned about the generic. I started taking the generic in November, and by February I had gained 9 pounds. There were no changes in diet or exercise routine, yet I continued to gain weight. Thinking it may be due to the generic, I had my doctor prescribe Synthroid with no substitutions allowed. However, I continued to gain weight. This really threw me. I met with my doctor and discussed my TSH and doseage. She explained to me that there are tougher regulations now for the generic (which is good news), but that in the past, the generic could fluctuate between 20% more or 20% less than the dosage. The.112 I was taking could have 20% less or more hormone than I needed? When she told me that, it made sense to me that switching back to the name brand didn’t help. The generic I was taking either had too much or too little. In my case, there was not enough because we adjusted my dosage to .125 and things are getting back to “normal” for me.

As for “normal,” I would like to add one more comment. People are continually questioning whether they need an endocrinologist. Well … I allowed the endocrinologist who originally treated me for hyperthyroidism and performed my surgery to monitor my health after my surgery. After two miserable years under his care, my primary care physician now monitors by thyroid levels and I feel better than ever. She listens to my concerns about weight, hair, and skin, where as he would not. Any problem I was having was something I was doing and in my former endocrinologist’s opinion, never had anything to do with his treatment. Replacing the function of a thyroid with a pill is not as easy as he tried to make it sound. There has to be open conversation and room for the patient’s opinion as well as their own. Just a little food for thought.

Hopefully this information will be useful to someone. I had a complete thyroid removal in June of 2005, and this forum has been incredibly helpful for me! Thank you all for continuing to post.

July 27, 2009 at 9:38 pm
(12) Cryshal says:

I finally found an endocrinologist who would listen to me and consider all my health problems connected to hypothyroidism. He is letting me stay on the Synthroid dosage I’ve been taking, although my TSH tests show I should be getting a lower dosage, since I show no physical signs of too high a dosage. I told him of my fears of weight gain and constipation that occured when my Synthroid had been lowered before.

I asked the doctor about using Cytomel if my Synthroid was lowered. He said people misunderstand Cytomel, that it only is needed if a hypothyroid patient is depressed. I would really like other opinions on this.

July 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm
(13) jynx says:

The reason some could possibly find the generic not working as it should is the company that manufactures them is under investigation for poor quality testing.

July 28, 2009 at 2:37 pm
(14) Jynx says:

The reason the generic may not be working is that the company who manufactures is under investigation for poor quality testing.

July 30, 2009 at 7:16 am
(15) crissy says:

hi i was put on the generic a little over a month ago my heart has done nothing but skip beats since its making me crazy its scary and my doctor could get me on the name brand if he wanted to like hes done before but hes dead set on me giving this a try but im so ready to stop taking it im sure it may work for some and maybe even me but the skipping is hard to live with

August 5, 2009 at 11:13 am
(16) Pam says:

Hi Chryshal,

I have been taking Cytomel with Synthroid generic for 3 years. An endo prescribed the Cytomel for me when I was not happy with the Synthroid, still had symptoms, and was absolutely unable to lose weight. With the Cytomel I think I am as close to ‘normal’ as one can get with pills rathern than natural hormones.
I was not depressed when the Cytomel was prescribed – just still tired and couldn’t lose weight – sometimes even gaining weight while on a diet.
I did have depression before I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, but once I started Synthroid the depression went away.
I take half the Cytomel in the morning, half in the afternoon. I will NEVER again go without it.
Obviously doctors don’t always agree, but the endo who initially prescribed Cytomel for me didn’t do it for depresssion, and I have had wonderful results.
I also now am treated by my family doc rather than an endo since I am stabilized I don’t think I need an endo any more, and the family doc is pretty good at listening to me and tweaking the meds and not relying 100% on the blood tests results.
A more understanding and doc might be good for you?

September 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm
(17) Naomi says:

Pam, I hope this messages reaches you. I was wondering how much Synthorid are you on? I’m currently on 88mcg down from 100mcg and I want to start taking Cytomel.

August 5, 2009 at 3:54 pm
(18) Traci says:

I’ve never heard that Cytomel is prescribed for patients who are depressed. That’s interesting. It seems to help me with dry skin and hair issues.

Thank you Jynx for posting about the company manufacturing the generic Cytomel. I will check into that! I too have had heart palpitations and experienced a lot of anxiety.

August 6, 2009 at 3:40 am
(19) Cryshal says:

My endo said I could have the Cytomel but then he would have to lower my Synthroid. That scared me. I do fatigue easily and can’t lose weight. I was afraid lowering my Synthroid would make me gain another 10 pounds, plus make me constipated again.

This endo isn’t my first. I was so thankful he let me stay on my present level of Synthroid, as long as I show no symptoms of hyperthyroidism, that I put Cytomel out of my consideration.

My choices of endocrinologists in my area are limited. The last one was worse and I told him I wouldn’t be back. My general practioner insisted I either go to an endocrinologist or she would lower my Synthroid. Obviously, I may be getting too much, but it isn’t transferring over to the hormone I need. What a catch 22!

September 15, 2010 at 11:59 pm
(20) Jessica Williams says:

I can’t believe what these “doctors” are saying to their women patients. I also have trouble believing that some of us just don’t get up, step on “doctor’s” foot, and get another PCP. If we all leave, they have no patients.
We need to toughen up. My doctor lets me choose meds (ALL of them) and the dosages too. I’m on the only way to fly: compounded thyroid USP made at a compounding pharmacy.
WomensInternational.com is GREAT, so are local pharmacies with clean rooms. Ditch your doc and get your life back. The boys are out of control.

August 9, 2009 at 2:11 pm
(21) Traci says:

Hello fellow thyroid patients. I have several comments today. Hopefully they will be helpful.

1- Nancy: I have been back on the name brand Cytomel for five days now and have not experienced any more heart palpitations. None! That is a wonderful feeling. I had two mild panic attacks and experienced extreme anxiety and heart palpitations when I was taking the generic form. Now my energy is back, my attitude is more positive, and feel like I did when all my horomone levels were where they should be. So – no more generic Cytomel for me.

2 – The price for brand specific Cytomel: On 08/08/09 I paid $85 for a 90 day/month supply at Kroger. (grocery store chain) When I first started taking Cytomel 3 years ago, the price was $55 a month, so this is fine with me. I also have to take brand specific Synthroid. I don’t like having to pay the higher price, but I find a way to budget it for peace of mind and body.

3 – Cryshal: When I was being treated by an endocrinologist, he told me he would have to lower the dose of my Synthroid if I started taking Cytomel. He also tried to convince me that it was a waste of money and would not benefit me in any way. While doing this, I weighed 256 pounds, and he said I needed to exercise!!! Talk to your internist/primary care physician/family practitioner. I am treated by my primary care physician and she listens to what I have to say about the dosage of my medication. When I switched to her and stopped seeing the endocrinologist, we increased the dose and guess what? I have lost 70 pounds and feel so much better. (weight, hair growth, less dry skin, no more period irregularities) It’s not all medication – I walk my dogs twice a day every day of the week – but at least I can lose weight now – and I don’t feel miserable. We agreed that as long as I was healthy and did not show symptoms of hyperthyroidism, we could maintain our current treatment.

4 – Crissy: Find a doctor who will work with you! You know your body and deserve to have your opinion heard.

5 – “Normal Thyroid Levels.” We all know that “normal” is not the same for everyone. Some doctors use the range of .30-3.0, and some use .50-5.0. That’s a wide range for “normal!” I take 5mcg Cytomel twice a day and .125mg Synthroid. My TSH stays around .40-.70. That may sound like I am getting too much horomone, but I am not. I don’t know if not having a thyroid contributes to this, but as long as I stay around .50, I am healthy and very happy. (my doctor keeps a close tab and agrees)

6 – Pam: It is so good to read about someone with a similar story to mine. I would gain weight when I would try and lose – and that is a miserable and frustrating feeling. If the levels aren’t right for a person’s body – then they just aren’t right – and doctors must be willing to work with patients. My internist is wonderful. I just wish that other women with these same frustrating problems could have a doctor as open-minded and in touch with patients as mine. (and it sounds like yours too)

7 – Mary: Thanks for keeping this site full of information we can use.

September 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm
(22) Naomi says:

Traci, I hope this messge reaches you. How much Synthroid are you taking? And how much Cytomel? I’m in the same boat and trying to figure out what to do.

August 9, 2009 at 2:16 pm
(23) Traci says:

I have a typo about the price in the above post.

Correction I paid $85 for a 90 day supply. 180 pills. A 3 month supply of Cytomel.

August 18, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(24) Ali says:

I just picked up my generic Cytomel prescription and it’s the first time i’m using straight T3. The brand name cost triple the price of the generic so I opted to give it a try. Before I found this blog I read on some other sites that the generic can have a different absorption or potency so the doseage might be different and that could be why others that started on Cytomel did not do well on the generic….they probably needed a higher dose of the generic. I’m starting at 25Mcg dose.

August 21, 2009 at 9:46 am
(25) Diane says:

I was switched in July by my prescription company (MEDCO) to the generic Cytomel (5mcg) when I renewed my 90 day subscription. I am also on 50 mcg of Synthroid. After about 2 weeks on the medication, I started experiencing heart palpitations mostly at night when I was ready for bed. By week 3, I started noticing the irregular heartbeat during the day. I also began having swelling in my feet/ankles and had some of the most painful leg cramps I have ever experienced. I called my endo and said that I wanted off the generic Cytomel. Even after a week of being off of it, I am still having the heart palpitations. I will be having more lab work done in about 1-2 weeks to see if I could have become hyperthyroid and if not, I’ll probably switch back to the Cytomel since it helped curtail the weight gain, dry skin and mental and physical fatigue I was experiencing. Right now, I just want the irregular heartbeats to go away. The other symptoms I can learn to deal with.

August 30, 2009 at 10:54 am
(26) ciara says:

I have been on Cytomel(5mcg 2x a day) for about 2.5 yrs along w 137mcg of levothroid. (yes, i pretty much have no thyroid function left thanks to going 5-6 yrs w/o being diagnosed correctly and not reaching the right amount of meds until those 2.5 yrs ago)

i just started the generic Cytomel about 2 days ago. i have been feeling a little more tired, but i’m not sure if that’s from the current meds or my having to stretch out the Cytomel until i could get more over 2 or 3 days since my doctor, for some reason, closed out my prescriptions! i’m going to see what happens w this month’s worth. if i feel like it’s making me worse, i will ask to be put back on brand. i consider myself lucky that i have ins which allows me to get brand for $20 tho i wonder now that since they have the generic, if they’ll charge more. right now i pay $10 w ins for the generic.

i will say though, that Cytomel has been my life saver. I practically had to beg to be put on it, but since i’ve started taking it, i don’t require 3+ hour naps to get through the day!

August 30, 2009 at 7:53 pm
(27) Cindy says:

I have been taking Cytomel for about a year. My heart used to race and palpitate, but no longer. It kept my numbers really low, but I also lost 4 sizes. I recently experienced a rapid weight gain of over ten pounds. My guess is my T3′s are off again. That is the reason I was prescribed Cytomel in the first place. It took me over ten years and two Doctors before I finally went to Internal Medicine who found a whole host of problems including anemia due to heavy menstrual flow. My previous Doctors always had the same answer, your tests are normal and that was that. No matter that I still had all of the classic hypothyroidism symptoms. The fact that they did not listen is more typical than having someone who will.
Is there anyone else out there that has to be over medicated just to feel somewhat normal and maintain normal weight? That has been my ongoing experience with this disease. Very few Doctors are willing to prescribe a higher dosage than test results will allow, but it the only way I will be able to fit into my clothes again.

September 1, 2009 at 12:54 pm
(28) Dana says:

I just started taking Cytomel5mcg yesterday. I have been very fortunate with my endo. He has been very aggressive in treating this. I have gone undiagnosed for years until this past December when I signed up for the Lindora weightloss program. It is a medically based program out of Southern California. Their doctor found my thyroid problem in the blood panel they require. She also found that my thyroid was enlarged. This led to the discovery of a nodule on my thyroid and that I had Hashimoto’s Disease. Since January I have gone from 50 mcg of Synthroid to 125mcg. My endo let me decide if I wanted the try the Cytomel. I end up sluggish and that deep down to your core tired by the afternoon. No amount of sleep changes that. He did tell me that I should be feeling a bit of hyper symptoms when we finally hit the correct dosage until my body adjusts.
Has anyone else noticed when changing dosages that their moods are all over the place? Depending on the dosage, I am depressed and “emo” or hyper and happy. Then the dosage levels out ion my system and I am back to tired.

September 10, 2009 at 9:21 am
(29) Linda J. says:

Because of the Armour shortage, my doctor switched me to 50mcg of Cytomel a day. I was taking 75 mcg of Armour a day. I don’t take any T4 now. I began this 3 weeks ago. The first week I lost 3 pounds, but nothing since. Also, I would get some chest pains off and on the first 2 weeks, but now they are gone. I am constantly warm, almost to the point of swetting when I am sitting! Should I call my doctor now or wait until my first blood test at 6 weeks? Also, should I be taking some kind of T4 replacement?

September 22, 2009 at 1:08 pm
(30) Kathleen says:

please someone tell me where I can find a doctor in san bernadino county who will prescribe cytomel.I am so desperate for help.

Thanks

September 25, 2009 at 8:35 pm
(31) Linda says:

Kathleen, it might help if you call some endo’s around you and ask. You might be able to find out over phone before you make an appointment.

My doctor just recently started me on Cytomel. I was on Synthroid 225 and he was about to raise it to 250, but then decided to try the Cytomel. He lowered my Synthroid to 150 and prescribed Cytomel 50.

I dont think I am adjusting well. The pharmacist recommended that I cut the pill in half for the first couple of days so I could get used to it. Then I read somewhere online that it is good to take half your dose in the early AM and the other half in the early afternoon. So that first day I cut the pill in half, and then took half of that half in the AM and the other half of the half in the early afternoon. I felt pretty good during the day but when I went to bed I thought I was going to die. Heart palpitations that turned into a massive anxiety attack (havent had one like that in years!). I literally had to have someone come into my room and hold my hand like a little baby so I could go to sleep. Since then I have only been taking 1/4 a pill early in the morning. (Well, one other time I tried to take a second 1/4 pill and the same thing happened that night). I was hoping to slowly increase my dose to get up to the full pill, but every time I take almost half the pill the same thing happens. I am terrified to take more than 1/4 of this pill. I have experienced mild palpitations intermittently and random headaches. My heart rate is 90, but it is normally in the 80s because of my weight anyway. My blood pressure has only gone up a tiny bit.

I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. I do like how the pill makes me feel for the first 6 or so hours after I take it. But then around 8 hours later I start to feel REALLY exhausted, and that’s when I notice some palpitations. I want to go to bed at 8pm. (If I take almost half the pill it’ll be midnight and I’ll still be having a panic attack). My roommate suggests that I should take the whole pill. He seems to think that is why I am so exhausted at night. I am afraid that if I take that whole pill I’ll have a heart attack! :(

November 11, 2011 at 4:56 am
(32) kimberly says:

Linda – Jeez!! Cytomel is 4x as strong as Synthroid….If your regular dose of Synthroid was 225 and he lowered it to 150. Then he prescribed you 50 mcg of Cytomel (4x the dosage of synthroid, so it’s like 200mcg of synthroid)….So essentially, with the dosage of synthroid and cytomel combined, it’s like you are taking 150 + 200 = 350 mcg thyroid medication commbined!! WOW….that’s WAAAYYYY too high!!

You should really be taking 25mcg of Cytomel, and then your total thyroid would be 250mcg which is what the doctor was going to raise your synthroid to….(you should take the 25 mcg 2x-5 per day, in small sections, or get 5 mg tablets and take 5 throughout the day, or whatever works best for you!)

Good luck!! :)

October 3, 2009 at 1:22 pm
(33) Lynn says:

Linda, the ratio of T4 to T3 naturally released in the blood by a healthy thyroid gland is roughly 20 to 1, per Wikipedia article titled “Thyroid Hormone.” The ratio prescribed for you is 3:1. It sounds as though your T3 has been majorly over-prescribed.
My internist recently prescribed Cytomel 5 mcg for me to take along with Levoxyl. Levoxyl is levothyroxine, same thing as Synthroid. He did tell me to decrease the amount of Levoxyl I take with it. However, I am incredibly fortunate in that I have an internist who lets me decide how much of my medication to take. He prescribes 75 mcg of Levoxyl, but I have cut that back to a little under 60 mcg by cutting and crushing the pills and weighing them using a milligram scale. I have to calculate the amount of Levoxyl I am getting, because the pill contains a lot of filler. A 75 mcg pill weighs 147 milligrams, so I calculate that the weight I have been taking, 115 milligrams, is equivalent to 58.67 mcg. That is 115 / 147 * 75.
I have not yet gotten the Cytomel filled, but when I do, I plan to begin it at the level of one fourth of that 5 mcg , or 1.25 mcg per day, and cut my Levoxyl to 54.59 mcg (107 milligrams by weight). After a couple of weeks at that level, I will try increasing the Cytomel to 2.5 mcg per day and decreasing the Levoxyl to 50 mcg, or 98 milligrams by weight. That is the plan, anyway, to try to reach the goal of a 20:1 ratio in the meds I am taking.
All that to say, regardless of what they say, there is nothing wrong with playing with your dosage. You know when you are overdosed, because of the symptoms. And you also know when you are underdosed, because of the symptoms. And there is also nothing wrong with taking a dosage in between what the established pill sizes offer, if that is what you need. Invest in a pill crusher and a milligram scale, and get your doctor to prescribe an amount that is the upper limit of what you might need (or find a doctor who will) and measure down. A side benefit of taking less than the amount prescribed is your total out of pocket costs can be lowered.
Now admittedly, the pills are filled with filler, so the amount of actual meds you get each day may vary when you do this. But if you make sure you finish one pill completely (even if it takes 2-3 days to do it) before you start another pill, the amount you get will even out. So you should probably not try this with your 50 mcg pills. Instead, see if you can get your doctor to prescribe the 25 mcg Cytomel pills or maybe even the 5 mcg pills for you.
And if there really is that much variation in the potency of generics as others here have said, then you definitely want to stick with the brand name if you are doing this, because you don’t need to add that uncertainty to your measurement.
Thanks to all of you here for the information about generic versus brand name Cytomel. You have helped me to decide to go with the brand name when I get my prescription filled.

September 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm
(34) Naomi says:

Lynn, I hope this message reaches you. I was wondering what amounts of cytomel with your Levoxyl you figured out works for you? I”m currenlty on 88mcg on Synthorid down from 100mcg and I want to try taking Cytomel with it.

October 6, 2009 at 2:22 pm
(35) caren says:

I have taken .0625 Synthroid two days a week and .050 the other five days. I also was taking Cytomel .5 every morning. I began the Mylan generic for Synthroid this summer. The mail order company automatically switched me to the generic Cytomel when it came out without asking me. I’ve been extremely tired ever since.Although my doctor told me that she has never seen my numbers look so good, I’m about to ask her for a brand name prescription for Cytomel. I’ll let you know if it makes any difference.

October 8, 2009 at 11:14 am
(36) Janie says:

I recently refilled my Cytomel (brand). My pharmacy called before and tried to switch me to generic. I told them no before I could confer with my doctor. My pills say ‘KPI” on one side and “115″ on the other. I have taken Cytomel with Synthroid for years. This is the first time that I have suffered from heart palpitations. And, it is severe. I thought that my heart would jump out of my chest. Have gone to the doctor and my thyroid test in range. Why am I having a reaction to the Cytomel? I tested that this is what it is by not taking the 2nd pill in the day, and no heart palpitations. By the way, the one that I take in the a.m. does not seem to bother me. Can anyone help?

October 8, 2009 at 7:14 pm
(37) JJ says:

After seeing a highly recommended endocrinologist in Denver 5 months ago, my wife and I added generic T3 by Paddock Labs to our long-standing Levothyroxine scrips. We both experienced major improvements, some of them unbelievably dramatic.

Our pharmacy switched from Paddock to Mylan’s generic T3 a few weeks ago, and our symptoms have been gradually returning. After researching other people who’ve had problems with Mylan’s T3, it appears our experience may be just the tip of the iceberg.

We’ve located a local pharmacy which still uses Paddock’s version and will switch back to that tomorrow. Our Walgreen’s told us that their entire chain still uses Paddock’s T3, so this might be the best option for switching pharmacies if you can’t get the Paddock product from your regular pharmacy.

October 12, 2009 at 8:19 pm
(38) Jeannie says:

My pharmacy gave me the generic form of cytomel in July. First I had a panic attack so severe……..My throat swelled, I could not breathe, I paced, My heart raced…..I felt like I was choking. I have been on cytomel since 2002, I always felt good. I am going back to CYTOMEL ONLY. Thyroid medicine is nothing to play around with. Your heart is the major organ that reacts the most to thyroid hormone. All lierature shows that hyperthyroidism will cause a panic attack. I will never let a pharmacy , insurance company or MD play with my well being. THEY COULD HAVE KILLED ME! Never again, well these groups play around with my doses.

October 26, 2009 at 10:40 am
(39) Jeff A says:

The idea that you always need to reduce Synthroid (T4) intake when adding Cytomel (T3) is a bit misgiuded due to people only looking at the TSH number. The Free T4 and Free T3 numbers should also be gathered during the blood labs. The Synthroid and Cytomel can then be dosed to keep you in the upper half of the Free T4 and Free T3 ranges where you will feel the best (there are several good web articles on this topic). Cytomel only affects the Free T3 number. Synthroid primarily affects the Free T4 number and then secondarily affects the Free T3 depending on your body’s T4 to T3 conversion capability. In a nutshell: Use Synthroid to get your Free T4 into the upper half of its range, then suppliment with Cytomel to get your Free T3 into the upper half of its range. Your TSH is not the driver, your FT3 & FT4 are.

September 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm
(40) Naomi says:

Jeff, I hope this message reaches you. WHat is your take on the following: I’m currenlty on 88mcg on Synthorid (down from 100mcg) and I want to try taking Cytomel to help. DO you think 12.5 mcg of Cytomel would be ok to take daily with the Synthroid it? Should I cut it in half and take one in the morning and one in the afternoon like some people do?

October 28, 2009 at 6:27 pm
(41) Heather says:

I just started generic cytomel 25 mcg yesterday. I used to be on 90 Armour. Never felt well on Armour, felt like I was on death’s door while on Synthroid. So far, no usual headaches or extreme fatigue, but we shall see. Any thoughts about the dose of 25mcg cytomel only – with no t4?

November 2, 2009 at 2:40 pm
(42) Lydia says:

Heather, like you I never felt well on Armour or Synthroid. I’ve been on Cytomel only (NO T4) for over a year. I am up to 100 mcg now and planning on asking the doctor for a 25 mcg raise. Seems to be the answer for me.

I’ve been feeling more depressed and tired lately though and now am wondering if it is due to the generic T3?? Maybe I don’t need a raise?

November 3, 2009 at 4:45 am
(43) dmyers says:

3 years ago my doctor prescribed Cytomel for weight loss along with adipex to reduce my appetite. I lost 40 lbs in 5 months. After stopping the medicine, I gained it all back over a 2 year period. I have a normal thyroid. Has anyone else been prescribed this med just for weight loss? I am thinking about going back to this doctor and taking it again to lose this weight but I was scared that it would mess up my thyroid.

November 11, 2009 at 2:43 pm
(44) mb says:

I am on 50mcg of Cytomel and .088 of Synthroid. My appetite has increased a lot. It seems like all I want to do is eat. Is this typical?

September 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm
(45) Naomi says:

Mb, I hope this message reaches you. Are you still taking 88mcg of Synthroid and 50mcg of Cytomel? If so how has it been going for you?

November 11, 2009 at 9:28 pm
(46) Joe says:

Hello everyone, thank you for your stories about t4 and t3. I just saw my endo this week and my t4 levels were 20 and my tsh was 2. I take 117 micrograms of t4 each day. I have never felt well on levothyroxine alone and I had to argue with my endo to let him prescribe t3 for me… and he finally did. I started on taking 10micrograms yesterday and 10 today. Yesterday I felt really well after about 30 minutes of taking the pill but 2 hours later I had heart palpitations and now I have palpitations and a headache. Should I lover my t4 or is this just normal reaction to the t3? Do you think this is to much of hormones? What is the ideal t4/t3 ratio?

November 16, 2009 at 10:42 am
(47) Henry says:

I started taking Levothyroxin and had a bad reaction to it, so my Dr lowered the dosage and had me gradually built it back up over the course of a month or so. after a while, I started getting hives and what looked like acne on my sides and arms. after numerious trips to Skin Dr’s and creams of all sorts, I decided to stop taking the thyroid medicine. after about 6 days my skin cleared up. I told my Dr. about what I had discovered, that I am allergic to Levothyroxin. He put me on Cytomel 50mcg one tab a day. So far, I think I’m good, I don’t think the rash or hives are coming back. I’m just not understanding the different ways people are taking T4, or T4 with T3. It seems like I should be taking my dosage differently.
Has anyone else had these strange side affects?

November 19, 2009 at 7:46 pm
(48) carole says:

Here is my story. After messing around for years for the right combination, we finally found that Name Brand Synthroid works better for me (I knew earlier, but the doctor didn’t) and when she added Cytomel I finally felt better-ish for the first time in years. Then, I wasn’t aware of the generic cytomel and my pharmacy (mail order, insurance related) subbed in generic. In addition, the next order of synthroid came to me generic. Yes, I should have realized it, but I didn’t read the bottles–I assumed it was as normal.
Because they’re 90 day prescriptions, this was over the last two and a half months as one was refilled, then the other. Slowly over those last months my health deteriorated. Primarily I was so beyond tired, and so I was piling pounds back on after successfully and slowly losing 35 pounds last year. I don’t know what, but intuition maybe, lead me to look at the bottles and realized not one, but both were generic. Today I was picked up new name brand prescriptions and hope it resolves the problems I was having.

I know some people feel that the brand doesn’t matter and that it’s a placebo, but I disagree. I had no idea I’d been substituted so I didn’t just make up those new symptoms. Be very careful with you prescriptions and really avoid the generic cytomel unless you have no other options. I’ll be paying out of pocket for it, but it’s worth it.

December 15, 2009 at 10:26 am
(49) Lori Branch says:

I just gave my GP a packet of info including the NEJM report on T3. I was diagnosed with hypo last May and have been having the worst time getting the right dosage of T4. My doctor also treats my mother and brother for the same condition but seems very resistant to any suggestions from me. I went in to see her in October because I’d been on a restricted diet and walking five miles a day trying to lose weight for my wedding to no avail. She said I should try Weight Watchers. She finally, grudgingly, agreed to test me and my TSH came back 6.5. I suggested that some people have issues converting and she indicated that “she’d never heard of that.” I told her my dentist suggested that the reason my gums are bleeding could be the result of the thyroid. She said that was impossible. Her verdict: I’m “genetically unfortunate” and need to exercise more. My problem is that prior to developing the hypo last winter, I was maintaining a very nice weight and shape without excessive calorie restrictions or exercise. Sorry to ramble but I’m desperate to find a new GP in the Detroit area. I know the Holistic Center in West Bloomfield is great but they can’t see me until June and I’d like to try to make progress before then. Any readers in Michigan with any advice on other doctors who are willing to work with me on finding the right meds?

February 7, 2010 at 2:25 pm
(50) Guest says:

Just wanted to leave a brief comment…I take a Levoxyl/Cytomel (generic – have used both Paddock and Mylan versions) combination…overall my energy levels are good and my FT3 and FT4 levels are well within range. The one problem that remains is I can not lose any weight despite strict diet and exercise. I am learning through research that one’s adrenals can play a big part in the effectiveness of thyroid meds. I wish I had known this beforehand but apparently, the rule seems to be have your adrenals checked FIRST before going on any thyroid meds. If adrenals are fatigued and stressed, taking T3 can make one feel worse but when adrenals are up to par, the thyroid meds work much better. I had a 4x cortisol saliva test and discovered my cortisol levels are low. Now the key for me is to find the best way to properly support my adrenals. In addition, I found out I had low ferritin and Vitamin D levels. It is important to get those up in range as well. I am learning that sometimes you have to be your own best patient advocate because some doctors just don’t get it….

February 15, 2010 at 4:06 pm
(51) Ann says:

I was switched (without concent) to generic Cytomel about six months ago, and I know it isn’t working for me.

In that six months, I have probably gained 20 pounds (with no change in habits), my hands/feet are freezing all the time, my periods are completely irregular, and and I sometimes feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest (at night).

I don’t want to go to my doctor, because I am embarrassed about the weight gain, but I will have to suck-it-up because I need to have a new (name brand only) prescription so I can get back on track. I feel like I’ve undone years of progress.

Please, everyone, stick with the name brand and save yourselves the same heartache.

February 17, 2010 at 11:58 am
(52) mary corbett says:

I have just started cytemel and I decided on my own to take 1/2 of 25 millogram tablet every other day to get my system use to it. I have never had thyroid problems and was shocked to get this news. My doctor originally prescribed a generic form of synthroid and my side effects included a huge rash and insomnia. I said the heck with that and now she switched me to cytomel. I am afraid of all these pills in general and when I read all these comments about the heart palpitations it really bothers me. Heart disease runs in my family. I wonder what would happen if I do not take these meds. I feel great without meds,I am in good shape and I walk daily,I never get depressed.

February 19, 2010 at 7:25 pm
(53) Ella says:

I have been on Cytomel only for many, many years. I have a wonderful endo who gives me a high enough dose that ALL my symptoms are gone. I was ready for a nursing home on T4. I’ve read that T4 must be converted to T3 in one’s body. In that case why take the T4 at all if ones body must convert it to T3? I’ve been using senna tea for 30 years that keeps my chronic constipation completely under control. Most health food stores have it. I’m very grateful to all of you — I’ll NOT switch to generic.

February 24, 2010 at 12:53 pm
(54) Elaine says:

I take only cytomel, branded not generic. I noticed a lot of people experiencing heart palpitations, and I’m wondering how you take it. For Mary Corbett, you should try taking 1/4 tablet every day, and try chewing bits of it over the course of the day. I had a problem taking any thyroid meds due to sensitivity. It can happen, and the only way to deal with it is to start small and slowly work your way up. But believe me when I say it’s worth it.

And for everyone else, try taking tiny bits of the tablets over the course of the day. I had the heart palpitation problems, but only when I took larger doses of it less often, like two or three times a day. By taking the same prescribed doses and nibbling on it every hour or so over the day, I have done away with the heart palpitations. You don’t get the fluctuations in T3 levels if you take it this way, so no heart palpitations and no crashes when the T3 has been used up.

Also, the heart palpitations can be a sign of low ferritin levels or adrenal fatigue. Have your doctor take blood to test for ferritin and do a 24 hr saliva test. My ferritin levels were at 43, and I have to supplement with iron in order to bring my ferritin levels up above 70. Between that and the low, frequent doses of cytomel, I am feeling great. I am full of energy, able to exercise without being exhausted, sleep well, am losing weight, and have stopped the hair loss. It’s wonderful.

February 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm
(55) Arlene says:

I have Hashimotos thyroiditis, so cytomel became a necessity for me. After 20 years with Hashimotos, I developed thyroid lymphoma. Chemo and radiation resolved the cancer, but my body was still trying to reject thyroxin. Finally, a wise endo recognized this and prescribed a slight overdose of thyroxin,along with 15 mcg of cytomel. Made all the difference. No constipation, thinning hair, dry skin or falling asleep at the wheel. Recently my pharmacy substituted the generic for cytomel. Will have to see if there is any difference. Just don’t buy the story that cytomel is used only for depression. The thyroid is a very complex and essential organ so don’t quit until you find a doc that really knows what he’s talking about and is willing to find out how your body reacts to a combination of drugs. There is no one answer for everyone.

March 7, 2010 at 7:10 pm
(56) Angela in Minneapolis says:

Just switched from Paddock’s T3 to Mylan’s T3. Day 3 now. Feeling terrible already. Hazy brain fog. Heart palps, weird “rushes” and dizzy when rising. So tired today – just sort of puttered around the house. Didn’t get much done. My thyroid doctors in Torrence, CA mentioned that T3 only lasts about 3-5 hours in the blood stream. They recommend finding a compounding Pharmacy to create a time release T3 prep or taking it 2x per day. He also mentioned that about 80% of the bodies T4 is converted to T3 in the liver. This may be why EVERYONE needs a unique combination of T4 &T3 – depends on how well your body converts the hormones.

Going to call the doc tomorrow and ask for a specific script for Paddock. Switching back.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences. Really helps.

March 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm
(57) Jackie says:

Cytomel is T3, Sythroid is T4. I don’t believe brands make that much of a difference but experiences differ.
T4 is converted to T3 and rT3 in the body. T4 isn’t the active thyroid, T3 is. Some people make too much rT3 if given only T4. In which case, T3 supplement can help. However, T3 is much more likely to cause hyperthyroid symptoms, because the body doesn’t have alternative conversion pathways to eliminate it. Some people do just fine on T4 and some people do better on a mix of T3 and T4. Look up http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com for more information.

April 5, 2010 at 11:25 pm
(58) Cynthia Mosley says:

I just want to say that I tried the generic of cytomel and I started having serious heart palpitations and tightness in my chest. I always bought the brand by King. I realized that the generic was causing these side effects. I told the Pharmacist and we discussed it. We compared the size of pills also. the generic has the same size in all strengths. There is something really wrong with this generic drug and yes it is a known fact that generics can vary in strengths and the kind of fillers that are in them verses the Brand. I changed to generic to save money…..FORGET the money if it’s going to kill you. I went back to Brand Cytomel and those symptoms Stopped. I will only take Synthroid in brand also. I had a bad experience with generic in that also……Tell your pharmacist and tell him you want him to make a formal complaint with these generic companies. That’s the only way to try and get this changed.

May 16, 2010 at 6:44 pm
(59) annie says:

I just looked up this forum on cytomel because I recently began taking it. My dr. gave me a Rx for 5 and said I could take it for a week and then double it, and after a week could add one more tablet. I was fine with 10, but after adding the 3rd tablet, the second day or so had rapid heart beat that night, and the next day began having bad gas pains and a bit of diarrhea. I went back to just 5, one tablet, but still have the gas pains off and on and some stomach upset.

I was really excited to learn from Mary’s site, about the cytomel for T3 and wanted it to help with the hypo symptoms that continued even with synthroid. I am wondering if I should stop the cytomel for a while and then start again, only working up to 10, which was fine before, and not try 15.

May 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm
(60) Becky says:

Last year I went on a Medicare drug plan, Coventry. Last summer I felt wonderful after having taken 4 yrs. to optimize my dosages of Synthroid and Cytomel. Then I was forced to switch to the generic Cytomel. Brain functions, mental and emotional, have gone downhill since. I was happy to read comments from people who have experienced similar changes. I see Dr. Adi Mehta, throid specialist at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.

July 6, 2010 at 2:24 pm
(61) jsam says:

I looked at this site to decide if I wanted to try the generic cytomel or not. After what I have read, I am going to wait. But, I am a bit frustrated with what I am reading. First of all, the reason a person is prescribed Cytomel in the first place is because the free T3 numbers are off. It has nothing to do withe weight or depression. Those are side effects of out-of-line t3′s and should improved iwth the right medicine dose, but not a reason to take the medicines! Second, it is really important that t4 and t3 are kept in range because too high a dose can dramatically decrease bone density. You have to get density tests along with thyroid medicine.

September 3, 2010 at 3:33 pm
(62) chaz says:

I have taken Armour for years (felt great), but found out it was made from ground up pig glands, so due to the fact that my religious beliefs keep me from wanting anything to do with eating or taking something made of pigs. I ask the dr to put me on a synthetic. they put me on synthroid. I have not felt well since. I am restless at night. Losing some hair and have gained about 30lbs in a very short time without changing eating habits. I spoke with my Dr and he is putting me on cytomel, I am excited and hope that it will put me back where i was. Anyway i am grateful to have found this site and will make sure by all the comments on here to tell them no generic. thanks!!

September 10, 2010 at 8:00 am
(63) Kathy says:

There is a Mexican brand of Cytomel, called Cynomel. It can be ordered online, without a prescription. I have been taking it for almost 3 months, and know of many other people who take it who – along with me – have had absolutely no problems with it. It is, in fact, all I take right now. I take 100 mgs. per day for Reverse T3 issues. I will probably add Armour back into my regimen once I get my labs done next week. I was told by my doctor a couple of years ago that many people take T3 only, but wasn’t ready to try that until I found a website re: reverse T3 problems. I should add that it costs $59 for 300-25 mg. tablets. Again, absolutely no problesm with it.
I don’t know whether I should list the site I buy my Cynomel from, but if someone let’s me know it’s OK, I will post it. Again, no prescription needed and it’s the real thing.

February 16, 2011 at 1:48 pm
(64) Deb says:

Hi I have reverse T3 also I need to buy the Mexican brand of Cytomel Can you please E-mail me Privately with the link to this Website ,I’m getting desperate on were to buy it

August 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm
(65) Maureen says:

I also have Reverse T3. I started on Cytomel and felt great. Lost some weight, felt like I could run a marathon. Switched to generic brand from Paddock and didn’t notice anything right away. (I’m too optimistic and life has been good) Now I’m noticing my skin is dry again, I want to loose 10 lbs. and can’t no matter what I eat or how much I excercise. I am going back to Cytomel. Also going to Mexico in October and would like to try Cynomel since I have terrible insurance. If anyone else is using it please let me know what you think?

September 14, 2010 at 11:08 am
(66) Barb says:

I found out this past Jan. 2010 that I have Graves Disease. My dr. gave me the radioactive iodine treatment because my thyroid was so high. It took about two months to completely normalize. I was normal for two wks. (best two wks in years) and I could do anything, stay awake all day, no naps and had ENERGY finally. Then I went down to hypothyroid and am worse than ever. Just started generic synthroid three wks ago, now at .50mcg and no change. I dont feel any better at all. What do u suggest? Also, anyone with Graves plz leave comment. TY

October 15, 2010 at 7:43 pm
(67) Chrissy B says:

Hi Barb,
Yes! I just had TT Oct. 1. taking brand Synthroid. Stay away from generics! I hear horror stories, of severe hypo symptoms. Ask for brand synthroid. You might be Ok without T3 for awhile due to Graves, but eventually, get brand Cytomel. feel better!

January 5, 2011 at 10:53 am
(68) Connie says:

I was put on synthroid and cytomel by my GYN in N. Virginia. We had to “play” with the amounts for several years to get it right. She did not recommend the generic for either on so I have never tried them but I would rather fight than switch as it has given me energy I was without for the first 55 years of my life. I would recommend that one finds a good [female] GYN…I really miss my Virginia GYN but I now live 2,000 miles from there.

January 19, 2011 at 11:04 am
(69) Denise McNulty says:

Question…..I take 10 mcg. of timed-released Cytomel before breakfast and eat 30 minutes later. Is it alright if I have yogurt (calcium) after I take Cytomel or do I have to wait up to 4 hours to take the Cytomel?

With the T4, I know that you have to wait up to 4 hours after having calcium.

I take my T4 at bedtime and sleep well.

January 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm
(70) Julie says:

I have been taking thyroid medication for several years and not feeling well. My doctor added T3 as my levels were down. The pharmacy gave me the generic and not only did I not feel better, more symptoms appeared. I lost my strength in my arms and mouth for chewing. I became weak, very tired, and I could not keep warm not matter how many clothes I put on. The doctor switched me to Cytomel and the symptoms went away and I felt like a new person. After switching insurance policies, I was told my insurance would not cover Cytomel, so for a few days I went back to the generic. How scary, the same symptoms appeared again. What is is with insurance companies who won’t cover needed medications to keep one healthy. Won’t it cost more to treat the symptoms that appear by forcing the less expensive drug? Not to mention the costs due to lack of energy to work. One certainly would not switch medicines if it were not needed.

January 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm
(71) judy says:

I’ve been on Synthyroid for about 10 years. Cannot convince doctors to add T3 such as Cytomel or Armour to the current dose of Synthyroid. Does anyone know of a endocrinologist or MD who prescribes both T3 & T4 in North Carolina, Triad area? Still cannot lose weight or energy levels are not what they should be. Cold intolorance still there also. I would so appreciate any recommendations.

January 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm
(72) Ruby says:

I had a great holistic MD in Minneapolis/St. Paul, he managed my thyroid issues among other things. He had me on both cytomel and a version of synthroid (armour or nature thyroid; i take nature thyroid b/c no corn, etc.). Anyway, this dr. who I greatly miss moved to N. Carolina. His name is Dr. Mark Hoch, I think he is in the tri-city area (is that what it’s called?). Good luck.

February 2, 2012 at 10:30 am
(73) Lisa says:

I am on 88mcg generic synthroid with 10mg generic cytomel. My endo talked about lowering my syn when putting me on cyto but after a month on 5 mg with my 88mcg, my blood tests did not show a significant change so she allowed me to retain my syn levels and then we added 5 mg that I could take in the afternoon. We did this because I was having a huge crash of energy in the afternoons. I acutally started the cyto because of lack of energy, no depression. I also suffer from the weight gain/lack of loss issue. Since I have PCOS, my endo is trying metformin for this. I think things are going well…no heart palps though I do wish they could make cyto in a time release formula.

March 8, 2012 at 6:01 pm
(74) Erika says:

I have been on synthroid and then armour thyroid. I feel terrible I had a total removal in October of last year I have not been the same since. I have gained about 20 ibs and I am miserable. My doctor changed my meds to Synthroid 100mg and cytomel 25 mg I hope this helps. Some days are unreal.

March 30, 2012 at 1:28 pm
(75) Sue B says:

I came to this site today because I switched to generic Cytomel two weeks ago. I love my Endo. Dont’ know how I made it without her! I have hypothyroidism. I take 75mcg of Synthroid and 10mcg Cynthroid. I am on brand Synthroid, tried generic once and will never do it again. I asked about trying generic Cytomel this time due to cost. She told me that generic Synthroid tends to be a big change and causes lots of problems and that generic Cytomel does not usually show a diff. as much as Synthroid would. She was willing to let me try Cytomel. That was about 2 wks ago. I am calling right now to change back. Mood is way low, very tired, some heart palpatations, quick to anger, quick to cry…yuck!!!! As I say with all my meds (depression, anxiety, hypothyroid, PSVT) it is worth the cost to have a “normal” life. Don’t know why I decided to mess with it. I have learned my lesson!!!

April 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(76) Becky says:

I was in the same position recently – I was prescribed Cytomel and it was a Godsend. Then my insurance said they were not going to cover it anymore, so I switched to the generic. IT WAS HORRIBLE!!! I absolutely had all my symptoms return and it felt like I wasn’t even taking a T-3 medication. I switched back (Paying more out of pocket of course) but I just have to suck it up because I have my life AND HEALTH back. And that is worth the extra money.

May 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm
(77) Sokelly says:

I have been treated for Hashimoto’s throiditis for 20yrs. My thyroid gland is now non-functioning and I take T4(Synthroid 75mcg) and Cytomel(25mcg). My dr has adjusted my dosages over time based on labs and ultrasound screening. Initially I was taken as much as 175mcg of Synthroid, but as antibodies gradually destroyed my thyroid gland, T3 meds were added. This was for several reasons: Lab work revealed that my body was not converting T4 to T3, I had symptoms of hypothyroidism, of which depression was one of them. Low thyroid levels can give you all the physical symptoms of depression, that is why my endocrinologist decided to try the combination. We started with just 5mcg of cytomel and gradually increased until labs and symptoms were normal. It is important with T3 to increase very gradually, or palpitations, irregular heart beats, increased body heat etc. will happen. I must admit that I really have never felt as good as before I had Hashimoto’s, but accept that we can only get close with medications. I have tried generics periodically and notice a big difference. Recently I tried generic T3 and have had rapid weight gain, fatigue and muscle and joint soreness from even minor exercise(i.e. taking walks that I normally take), apathy and depression, dry skin, and eye rash, slow and poor digestion. Today I refill my prescriptions and have asked for the tried and true name brands. My advice to anyone with similar a condition,work with your dr and stick to what works.

July 16, 2012 at 9:12 am
(78) Grace says:

I have been taking name brand Synthroid 137 mcg and generic Cytomel 5 mcg for quite some time. My last fill the pharmacy switched to Mylan liothyronine. Within 2 wks I felt so tired, depressed, and stopped losing weight. I talked to my terrific endo and he ran tests, finding I needed more T3. He told me to take an additional 5 mcg in the afternoon. I didn’t note much difference. Then I went 7 days ago to get a refill with the new dosage and got a different manufacturer (Padd). As usual I checked the markings on the pills to be sure they were what they should be.
I took 2 a day and holy cow I felt like I was going to bounce off the walls. I got so tense I got panic attacks. My neck was so tight I pulled a muscle in my sleep. I truly feel my last batch of mylan was way off dosage and now with the new one I’m back to normal. Going to take 1/2 am and 1/2 afternoon and doc will run tests on T3 in a month. After this fill is gone, I will be spending the money on name brand cytomel. Never again with this mess of back and forth stuff!

August 18, 2012 at 8:12 am
(79) Karen Daw says:

My tests while taking only synthroid (.224 daily) appeared normal, bit I still had symptoms of low thyroid (tiredness, dry skin, depression), so she ran a free T3 test which was low. I’ve been taking 50 Cytomel am and pm. The overall numbers (tsh) gives the false impression that I take two much thyroid med because we are correcting separately for T3.

I’ve been taking name brand. Don’t know if ll try generic.

October 10, 2012 at 12:17 pm
(80) vickey says:

Was on synthroid for years but not without side effects and with hypothyroid symptoms persisting. Had a “RevT3″ (reverse T3) blood test which was very high. As I understand it, Reverse T3 is caused by impaired conversion of T4 (contained in Synthroid and all natural thyroids) causing Wilson’s Syndrome. Stopped taking Synthroid altogether and began low dose of Cytomel and built up gradually to give body time to remove the excess T4. Feel way better. Am glad to read other’s comments about the generic Cytomel. Sounds like over all, its worth the cost to stay on it rather than to risk the side effects of generic brands. Unfortunately the insurance companies won’t cover Cytomel.

February 3, 2013 at 2:12 pm
(81) Theresa says:

Just FYI… Only take Cytomel (or the generic) if you must…… I have been treated for depression my whole life and my thyroid has usually been ok. I was having a really hard time beating the depression and my thyroid levels were on the low side so my doctor decided to give me a very low dose of the Cytomel to go along with the antidepressants that I was taking. I was a perfectly healthy woman with depression. Well three weeks passed and I ended up in the hospital with a pain in my chest and they discovered that my heart had lost 70% of its function and I was congestive heart failure. My EF (ejection fraction was 22. I was immediately taken off the Cytomel medication and things started to improve… it took a while… but after 1 year on CHF drugs, my heart has returned to normal. I no longer have the symptoms of Congestive Heart Failure, but since the doctors do not know if my heart was permanently damaged by the Cytomel- and they will never know unless they take me off the CHF medicine… they wont take me off the CHF medicine for fear that I will die because in all probability the Cytomel has permanently damaged my heart. So now, I am a normal woman who suffers from depression and is treated for chronic heart failure just in case they take me off the medicine and I could die. Thanks Cytomel. Make sure you really really need it before they put you on it.

July 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm
(82) Sue says:

The generic Cytomel made by Milan didn’t work for me. I got switched without knowing it and soon found out that something was wrong. All the old symptoms returning. Had to find a pharmacy that sold the generic by Paddock Laboratories. In No. California, I found it at CVS. After a week or so, I knew this was the right one. Have read about others claiming that the Milan generic doesn’t work. I pay $15.00 for 90 5mcg’s tabs.

August 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm
(83) vibram shoes says:

She’s sporting a black denim skirt by using a frayed edge from Wego as well as a red prime and little military type jacket from Zara.

October 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm
(84) ELI says:

I had a coomplete thyroid removal two weeks ago. My surgeon had me on Synthroid and my indo requwsted I come off and be placed on Liothyronine. The gave me terrible headaches, so I called my doctor and requested the brand product yesterday. I have not been on it (Cytomel) long enough for a decent comparison yet.

When the new Health Care bill is finished. I will still be able to choose between generic or brand name. In most cases your physician simply has to request it for you. You will have to pay a little more, as we do now. Hope this was helpful.

November 11, 2013 at 5:22 am
(85) Dawn says:

My Dr is willing to write me a prescription for cytomel to take with levothroxine. He is not familiar with the dosing and was hoping I could find out through the blogs and reserarch i’ve been doing. He has written scripts for people who had previously used it and just needed the script refilled. I’m currently taking 88 mcg levothyroxine. Please advise as to what a good starter dose is of cytomel, Thank you so much for your time and attention.