1. Health

Mary Shomon

Armour Thyroid's Spring 2009 Reformulation Causing Problems: Some Patients Switching to Nature-Throid and Westhroid

By July 2, 2009

During the Spring of 2009, the natural desiccated thyroid drug, Armour Thyroid, apparently underwent a reformulation of fillers, including a decrease in the amount of dextrose, increase in cellulose, and the addition of cornstarch to the tablets. Since that time, some patients have been reporting a variety of problems with this new Armour formula. Find out more about the thyroid symptoms some patients are experiencing with the reformulated Armour, learn how to switch to other natural thyroid drugs such as Nature-Throid and Westhroid, and find out what patients are reporting after they've made the switch.

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photos: istockphoto

Comments
July 3, 2009 at 8:31 am
(1) sgraham30 says:

I’ve never taken the new Armour,but I loved the old and did well on it.When the shortages were initially announced (and after having several local pharmacies tell me that Armour would no longer be produced)I switched to Nature-throid.

I’m doing ok on Nature-throid,but I’m taking 4 grains vs the 3 grains that I took with Armour.

I don’t have as much energy as I did with the old Armour.I can make it through my 8 1/2 hour workday,but forget doing anything else…..once I’m home,I’m done for the day.I just sit and rest.

I basically have no life outside of work.I need the weekends,when I would normally see my friends to “recharge” for the upcoming work week.

Forget exercising.I start a program,feel good for 2-3 weeks and then I get sick.

Nature-throid is supposed to be hypo-allergenic but apparently,I react to something in.When I first started taking it,my CRP numbers were high enough that my doctor was concerned enough to have me start taking an anti-inflammatory immediately.

I’ve also had the worst allergies this year that I’ve ever had.I’ve had several asthma attacks,which I haven’t had in years.I didn’t have any of these issues with Armour.

I see my doctor in 2 weeks.I’m going to ask him about compounded time released T3.I am tired of low energy,not being able to breathe freely, and most of all, I’m tired of not having a life outside of work.

July 3, 2009 at 12:04 pm
(2) Jamie says:

I just switched to armour from synthroid 3 months ago due to side effects like severe palpitations. We are still adjusting my dosage and since I am so sensitive to any medication we have to increase pretty slowly. I feel so much better on armour so I am not sure this change will be an issue for me. Maybe I started when the change had already been made. I have not heard of this change any where but here so can someone tell me where this reformulation information came from.

July 5, 2009 at 10:11 am
(3) Tammy says:

I found some interesting information on this site, I hope if helps in your search:

July 8, 2009 at 5:53 pm
(4) Judith says:

An addition to comments about Nature-thyroid as a replacement for the reformulated Armour Thyroid.

I began Nature-thyroid today since having negative results with the altered Armour formula. (hair loss, weight gain, very low energy, balance, diarrhea)

Armour has a 1:2.2 ratio of T3 to T4.
Nature-throid has 9mcg T3 to 38mcg T4 per grain.

Thyolar is the Forest synthetic with 1:4 ratio.

Nature-throid has a lactose hydrolate filler (last ingredient in the list) which may be a problem for lactose intolerant people.

The Forest Labs representative is very discouraging as is the pharmacist and insist that the new formula makes digestion easier and deny that it has to do with cost. They claim to have reported the patient response to the FDA.

The Nature-throid representative was uninformed and assured me that the ratio is the same as Armour – it is not.

July 9, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(5) Chris says:

Judith,

I looked into the ratios and found the following information about Armour:

Armour Thyroid
1:4.2 (T3:T4)

Armour Thyroid 1 gr
T4 = 38 mcg T3 =9 mcg

Which incidentally is exactly the same as Nature-throid.

You may check it out here:

July 9, 2009 at 3:25 pm
(6) Stephanie says:

I have been taking armour thyroid for about a year now. Initially, once we got me to the right dosage,(90 mg a day)-I was so much better! I have been noticing lately that I feel like I’ve gone backwards. Upon trying to refill my prescription yesterday-I had a lot of trouble finding it. My hair is falling out very badly again, my energy levels are down, my hands and feet are cold and I have gained some weight. I’ve been wondering what is going on. After researching the reason for the unavailability- I’m finding out armour has changed. I’m shocked and think I will call my doctor and visit with her about this. Also…my prescription yesterday, for the same dosage, amount and same insurance cost more than it ever has. Thank you for letting us know about this!

July 9, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(7) Heather Scherloski says:

Does anyone have any experience with the product AOR T-100?

July 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm
(8) Adriana says:

I just called Forrest. The customer rep told me that all they did was change the ratio of the fillers — specifically, there is now more cellulose and less dextrose. I asked why the change and was told their quality control dept determined that the change would enhance the pills’ ability to dissolve via stomach enzymes. This is likely why those of you who are used to using the pills sublingually are having not so good results. Instead of abandoning, maybe try swallowing the pills to see if that helps. I don’t think I notice any difference but I swallow the pills. Is there anyone out there who is doing fine on the new formulation??

Also, do Westthroid or Nature’sthroid have to be refridgerated???

July 13, 2009 at 8:11 pm
(9) Tami says:

I had to stop taking my meds earlier this year to have the scan and uptake test. When I took the test my TSH was over 100. I went back on Armour April 5th and it is now July 13th, so a little over 3 months and my TSH is still almost 80. My hair has been falling out like crazy and I have gained 10 pounds but it wasn’t until I got the TSH/Free T4 result that I started to try to find out why. I think this explains the problems. Also, I have had the other side effects related to food…the whole gastro-intestinal tract!

July 15, 2009 at 1:32 pm
(10) Mary (Adrift in Paradise says:

Like Adriana I swallow Armour. I have been on the new formula about 8 weeks and see no difference in how I feel.

July 15, 2009 at 11:50 pm
(11) Jenny says:

How do you know if you are taking the reformulated Armour? I have recently put on weight and have not changed my diet except that I am actually eating less. Thanks.

When I mentioned to my doctor in May about the reforumlation, she had not idea what I was talking about.

July 17, 2009 at 8:26 am
(12) phyllis Wiley says:

I started Armour 2 months ago and have no problems with it. I see a huge difference in how I am feeling vs the Levoxyl that I have taken for years. I have a list of symptoms that were relieved due to finally finding a Dr who would allow me to try Armour thryoid instead of Levoxyl.
I have the new formulation and for me, I am glad they decreased the amount of dextrose. I am hypoglycemic and maintain my blood sugar through a low glycemic diet. I react to all types of sugar so the less dextrose the better in my case.
Good luck to all of you and thank you for all the good information available on this site.
Phyll

July 20, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(13) John Sowinski says:

Sgraham, have you been checked for adrenal fatigue. I know that the subject is thyroid but the adrenal glands are so intertwined with thyroid and the sex hormones.

For others there are no T4 receptors in the body and T4 to T3 ratio only makes a difference if you are converting T4 to T3.

July 20, 2009 at 10:22 pm
(14) Sgraham30 says:

Hi John,

My adrenals are ok,but I’ve found out that for some reason my body is not utilizing the Nature-throid as well as it has been….AND my ferritin has dropped quite a bit in a matter of months.

Both of these explain the fatigue.My doctor is increasing the Nature-throid bit by bit and I’ve had my dosage of iron raised.I’ve also started taking LDN to help regulate my immune system so that my allergies aren’t so severe.

Hopefully,in the next couple of months things will come together and I can have a life outside of work again!!

July 23, 2009 at 5:53 pm
(15) Betty Morelli says:

I am having the same negative results as others. In only 90 days on the new formular I am in horrible shape.
Does anyone know when the new batches actually started reaching the patients? They say “spring” but actually what month. Why were not the doctors and patients informed? Is there something to hide?

July 24, 2009 at 10:07 am
(16) Jan Neff says:

I just started with the new formulation today and because I use it sublingually, noticed the difference immediately. I do my own form of body talk so I began asking my body the yes/no questions. My body is saying stay away from the new formula. So I also will have to find something else. Just when you think you’ve got everything in order, someone changes things on you!

July 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm
(17) Janet Z says:

“New” Armour definitely does not work for me the way the former version did. I’ve used Armour for 5 1/2 years. Once my optimal dose of 120 mgs was reached, all symptoms resolved. Since taking the new product, symptoms have gradually crept back; 5 lbs. gained, dry skin and nails, and worst of all the mental ones – lethargy, lack of focus, irritability, and withdrawal from social activities.

My labs were done last week, and they confirm my suspicions. The FT4 was down by 22% and FT3 by 10% from where they were when I last felt completely well. The last time I had these levels and symptoms, I was still titrating and taking only half the dose I am now. Instead of accepting a new script for Armour, I asked my MD to prescribe Nature-Throid. It was impossible to find at the big chain pharmacies in my area, but a compounding pharmacy nearby keeps a large stock of all dosages on hand.

Keeping fingers crossed that I will regain the good health Forest has caused me to lose.

August 2, 2009 at 12:48 pm
(18) Debbie says:

I have been taking “Armour Thyroid” for 4 years now and in the beginning I had so much energy, my hair was looking better and I just felt good all ways around now in the last year I have noticed that I have gained weight in my stomach, I’m constantly tired and I just do not feel like doing much of anything. I’m going to talk to my Doctor about this and see what else is out there that I can take. I have read to many bad things about Synthroid and how it has made people’s hair fall out and they just did not have the energy that they had when taking Armour. Why did Forest Labs change their formula? I’m scared to take it.

August 2, 2009 at 3:57 pm
(19) kendra says:

I also had a return to hypo symptoms on the new Armour
I switched to naturethroid 12 days ago. Im not great, but getting better. I swallow it at night and do sublingual during the day since I have to take iron suppliments.

August 7, 2009 at 11:18 am
(20) Linda Richards says:

I have been on Armour for over two years and felt great until I refilled my 90 day script the middle of June 2009. I am off work all summer and have lost my motivation to work out even though I was walking one hour each evening prior to June. I am so fatigued and feel bloated, depressed, my hair is coming out in clumps and this all confirms my doctors feelings about Armour. I am so sad that they reformulated without testing the new formulation. I went to the doctor yesterday and she wants me to try the compounded T3 and T4 and I am ready to pay the price as I return to work in one week and I cannot afford to be sick ten times in one school year as I was just before getting dosage adjusted one year ago. Shame on Forrest. I have defended Armour to every doctor who has tried to put me on synthetics even though Synthroid did nothing for me and I tried i for six months!

August 9, 2009 at 12:37 pm
(21) Julie says:

I also return to work in a few weeks and lack the energy I had just a few months ago. Funny, since I live in Texas and we’ve been experiencing extreme heat, I did not make the connection of how I was feeling to the new formulation of Armour until recently. I have a constant mild headache, tiredness, bloating, forgetfulness and many other symptoms that I’d hoped I would not have again after switching to Armour. I recently met with some co-workers that I have not seen in about two months and one asked me if I was feeling okay. That is not a question I normally hear. I consider myself to be active and physically fit. I excercise and eat a healthy diet, but lately I don’t feel the same. I think it’s safe to say that it is not the heat! My recent test did indicate that my levels were low and my doctor increased my dose. If I don’t begin to feel better with this new dose I will consider trying Nature-Throid.

August 13, 2009 at 10:56 am
(22) Steve3927 says:

I should have checked this forum sooner. I new something was up with my Armour Thyroid because it doesn’t dissolve like it used to and it tastes horrible! My hypo symptoms are also returning. I have a call in to my doctor to try and get me on Naturethroid or Westhroid but don’t know how that will go because he was relunctant to put me on natural thyroid to begin with. Hard to believe they can do this without consulting any patients.

August 16, 2009 at 6:33 pm
(23) Deidre in Houston says:

After 10 yrs of feeling horrible I finally found relief in Armour Thyroid in June of 2008. The improvement could be felt by the 4th day. The body aches, heart palpitations, exhaustion, and other symptoms of hypothyroidism were gone within a few months. I have rheumatoid arthritis and for the first time since my diagnosis my joints were not swollen. This year I had been working out at the gym and even lifting weights! I noticed the formula change immediately, even before my MD. It doesn’t taste the same, dissolve the same, or work the same. My labs reflect how I am feeling and my RA symptoms have returned with horrible swelling and intense pain in my wrists and hands – enough to keep me out of the gym for 2 months. How could Forest Pharmaceuticals change a drug that controls a body’s metabolism without any notice?!?! Gross negligence…the new formulation is useless. I have been on Nature-throid for 3 weeks now…feeling better, but nowhere NEAR as good as I did on the old formulation of Armour. I had finally become re-engaged with life…now I don’t even want to get out of bed in the morning…

August 19, 2009 at 7:22 pm
(24) Tyler Zambori says:

Did Forest Pharmaceuticals ever make a public announcement about this, even after the fact?

I need an official source. Thanks!

August 26, 2009 at 4:05 pm
(25) n_ray says:

I’ve been on Armour for 15 years. 2 -3 months ago my hair started falling out, joint pains, decreased mental acuity, memory problems, etc, etc. My recent Thyroid panel showed a TSH level over 8. I have called Forest and the FDA about this unconscionable “reformulation” and to report my associated problems. BTW- Everyone I know who is taking Armour has experienced the same negative effects. In my opinion, Forest is blatantly irresponsible for not recalling Armour and for not informing the public. Just what is their true motive? A Class Action is definitely in order here!

October 3, 2010 at 10:31 pm
(26) O'Ross says:

You don’t suppose they got a visit from the FDA [?].

August 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm
(27) rose says:

a class action suit should be filed against forest labs. how do they have the right to change a formula without notifying doctors and pharmacys. i suffered for 2 months with joint & bone pain, hair loss, unable to focus, and was totally convience that my cancer was back. i notified my doctor and was scheduled for a MRI until i found out that the formula in armour was changed. i was told to stop the armour and started to feel better within two days..it was as if my body was being poisioned. i am all for a class action against forest labs.

August 30, 2009 at 3:16 pm
(28) Justin says:

Something definitely changed in Armour Thyroid. The first change came last year and then again in the spring of 2009. How do I know, well let’s just say I have an “in”. The first people who were affected by what changed about the Armour Thyroid were people who were using it to treat Auto-immune disorders like, MS, Lupus, etc. Of course this group would be the most sensitive to any change in the product or the processing of the pig thyroid. Unfortunately, this group was not significant enough, nor does anyone acknowledge the use of Armour for this treatment so I venture to guess that it didn’t matter to Armour. Now, in the spring of 2009, something else changed, but this time Armour admitted it. That’s because it involves ingredients and not something else about the pig thyroid (yes, I’m alluding to something, but you will just have to trust me on this information, or maybe not). Now, the second change is affecting many, but not all people who are less sensitive. There are reasons for this, but we do not have the time to explain them scientifically. Hopefully, Forest Laboratories will have a heart and change it back to the way it used to be in the earlier part of 2008.

September 4, 2009 at 12:42 am
(29) Jerry says:

Wikipedia says that humans do not have the enzymes to digest cellulose – so it must be an inert filler. Dextrose (D-Glucose) we can digest so it is probably the glue that holds the inert filler together with the thyroid. Perhaps the change in filler ratios is throwing off the digestion process so that the pills are dissolving too early or too late for proper absorption in the intestines. Each section of the intestine has different absorption capabilities so too early or too late could matter. Haven’t yet tried my luck, but I’m glad to know there are alternatives just in case.

September 4, 2009 at 6:00 pm
(30) colelizabeth says:

dear friends,
thank you for all your great information. I too am a new patient to Armour(May 2009) and felt such relief when I started to feel normal again, after 2 years of Synthroid! Just last week , after filling a new prescription, I started to feel the same horrible symptoms as before…..and when I did some research you were all here to reassure me that I DO KNOW my body and I am disgusted with Forest Pharma. too. Hopefully , with enough people be heard we will make the changes happen that need to happen.

September 9, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(31) Kristine says:

Sgraham30, PLEASE have your doctor do an iodine test on you.

September 10, 2009 at 5:31 pm
(32) Paula Stoneham says:

I can’t believe there are so many people with the same problem I have an our doctors don’t even know what is going on. I did well on armour for 2 years, and now I am so weak and starting to feel something is wrong, I had no idea of the problems I was going to encounter. It has been a nightmare. My medication has been increased and decreased so many times, I even had to go to the emergency room for my heart was beating so fast and my left arm was throbbing and tingling, and loss of sensation in my fingers. I thought I was loosing it. Now I know the problem is the medication. What can people do. This is rediculious, in America, how they use our bodies, without any question about how it will affect our physical and mental health.

September 15, 2009 at 4:51 pm
(33) Rosewooed says:

SO glad I found this thread – explains a lot. I’ve been on Amour off and on for 20 years. Off, only when a doctor retires and I have to start all over again even proving I need Thyroid. Last winter I’d gotten to the point of collapse – no insurance for blood tests etc – when my Doctor finally just prescribed. Within 4 days instant relief. Other benefit – I’d been doing weight watchers with my Daughter and didn’t lose a pound – she lost 30! The week I started I dropped 5lbs. and on my belly! Last refill in June – sypmtoms started creeping back – now I can’t refill at all and things are deteriorating fast. I’m looking into a compund Pharmacy next – worth any extra cost to get my life back.

September 29, 2009 at 2:29 pm
(34) Paul says:

Jerry,
If you check some other sites you will see that Fiber directly influences the absorption of Armour Thyroid.
Many sites recommend not eating Fiber or Soy within 4 hours of taking your pills.
I had to cut Soy completely from my diet because it was causing my TSH numbers to fluctuate wildly.

October 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm
(35) Becky says:

After using Armour Thyroid for over a year I noticed in June that I no longer felt well. I had body aches, my skin and hair was dry,sleeping became an issue and of course weight gain. In Sept. I started having an allergic reaction,itching from head to toe. It was after doing the research that I discovered the reformulatin of Armour Thyroid. Whatever inert filler they began using was the reason for my itching and the change in the strength of thyroid was the reason for my renewed thyroid symptoms. I dont understand how the FDA allows reformulation without testing the results. I have gone back to a synthetic throid and still feel awful…

October 6, 2009 at 9:23 pm
(36) T-Bone says:

Justin stated “definitely changed in Armour Thyroid. The first change came last year and then again in the spring of 2009. How do I know, well let’s just say I have an “in”. ”

What was changed before 2009. . I noticed the difference last year and your “theory” makes perfect sense. Do you know if Naturethroid or Westhroid will correct this? Can I simply switch brands?

October 8, 2009 at 12:48 am
(37) Catherine says:

I noticed a difference in my body as soon as they changed the formula. I sweat profusely, shake uncontrollably, and am loosing my voice. These are all symptoms that I had when I took Synthroid. I feel as if I am back where I was before I started on Armour. (As soon as I began taking Armour sublingally, I was almost back to my old self.) I read the websites that said to take it by swallowing it, and I have been doing that for about a week now. My voice is almost completely gone, and my whole body shakes. I am beginning to suffer from mental confusion again. I am a teacher and am beginning to wonder if I will need to go on disability…I am only 48 years old, and I feel like I am 80. I say we should put together a class action law suit. No one ever informed me that the formula had changed. What right do these people have to put our health, our jobs, and our very life at risk. Someone should have–at very least–let us know that the formula had changed. I feel like I have been poisoned. I am pretty angry about the whole thing, but I can not even yell about it as I have NO VOICE.

October 28, 2009 at 2:42 pm
(38) Catherine says:

ERFA pharmacies in Canada has Thryoid. Your doctor has to write the prescription specifically for ERFA: Thryoid. It is about $65 per month for my prescription. I take 180 mgs. daily, so I don’t feel that that price is too bad. I will comment later on the effectiveness.

November 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm
(39) Amy says:

In regards to the new armour formulation – I just got off the phone with the compounding pharmacy I use and they stated that they have not been notified of any reformulation of armour thyroid and if there was a reformulation then they would need a new ndc number for the prescription. They have not received a new ndc number from forest laboratories. In light of all of this info I have been experiencing headaches every day for 2 weeks now since filling my prescription of armour but I was also increased in my dosage so maybe the headaches are from the increase. Anyone experience headaches with an increased dosage of armour or headaches in general with any new fill of the armour thyroid presciption? Im hypo by the way.

November 3, 2009 at 6:54 pm
(40) willie says:

Ive been on Armour for about 2 and a half years. Ive noticed the change as well;Fibromyalgia like symptoms are back. I also notice that the 30 mg tablets I take and cut in half (15mg BID) crumble now where they used to cut really well. I wonder if this could be connected to a change in compounding?

November 4, 2009 at 9:54 am
(41) Shayla says:

I’m a bit new to all of this and have been taking Synthroid since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I’ve found that although my lab tests indicate that all is well, I am still having hypothyroid symptoms. I wish to change medications to a nutural thyroid med. and am thinking I’ll pass on Armour because of all the issues so many people seem to be having with the new formula. I guess that leaves me with the option of taking Naturthroid or Westhroid (if they’re available yet). I am going to get checked asap for lactose intolerance as I suspect that may be an issue for me. I was reading that Naturthroid has a lactose hydrolate filler ingredient, does anyone know if Westhroid also has the lactose hydrolate filler in it? Any ideas/suggestions are welcome in terms of good ways to best treat hypothyroidism. I think my particular hypothyroid condition was brought on by certain prescription meds that I used to take, so there may be a possibly for my thyroid to heal and function correctly again. I’d really love to hear ideas regarding ways to try and heal the thyroid. Thanks.

November 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm
(42) marylyn says:

Switched to armour thyroid eight months ago with excellent results. Several months ago began experiencing autoimmune problems…fibromyalgia/rheumatic/arthritic symptoms in cartilage, etc. and what feels like a dull pain on left side of interior chest that developed into pain just under rib cage and some spasms…had stress test, heart healthy…then a ct of abdomen and pelvic area was ordered…it showed only lymph swelling in left groin…all else seems normal yet I continue to have discomfort. Docs feel swelling will go away as healthy otherwise, yet symptoms and discomfort continue. I believe it may be related to switch in armour formula. It is the only change I’ve made. Will stop immediately and will let you know if symptoms dissipate. Oh, and I eat organically, no fast food, wild salmon, veggies and fruits, plus rice or buckwheat, no dairy, few spices…will reserve opinion and judgement til I see what happens when I cease taking the med…plan to see doc Monday and get small supply of synthroid (which I took before) to see if symptoms cease…thank all of you for your posts…very helpful and supportive…important…will let you know

August 26, 2011 at 11:19 am
(43) Mary says:

Dear Marylyn:

I read your post with interest, because I am trying to get to the bottom of the similar issues. I also follow a similar dietary lifestyle and exercise as much as I can stand given the situation. As this is an older post, I am hoping that you got to the bottom of your issues and that your experience may be helpful to me also.

I am on 90 mg of Armour (sort of), since 2010, so I’ve never been on the old formula. I take 60 mg everyday, but 90 mg MWF. My problem is overall body pain (also swelling fingers). HRT solved the problem for me when taken with the Armour, but Armour never resolved this problem in and of itself.

I am wondering now if the use of Synthroid and Cytomel would be a better option. Please see this excellent video series if you are interested at: http://hopeforhashimotos.com/hashimotos-video-series/

If I can’t find a solution soon, I am going back on HRT despite the risks at my age of 59. My situation is debilitating and really interfering with my quality of life.

Thanking you in advance, Marylyn,

Mary

November 16, 2009 at 12:43 am
(44) susan vaughan says:

Well, why in the hell did they change the fillers in the first place? Why don’t they change them back —
how can we influence the mfg to do so.

there IS too much corn in everything and it’s G engineered – and who needs cellulose?

tell us how to harass the mfg until they give us the real thing.

November 24, 2009 at 4:53 pm
(45) Shanna says:

I’ve been on Armour 90 mg (1grain and 1/2) for 5 years with a TSH of 0.07 and no problems. After the reformulation my hair started falling out, fatigued all day with goiter pain, and just about every other hypo symptom. My doc switched me to Naturethroid 130 mg (2 grain) which is an increase from Armour dosage. I was still having hypo symptoms with the increase and a rising TSH on Naturethroid. So my Doc increased the dose to 4 grains a week ago and i am starting to feel better! Conclusion…If your making the switch to Naturethroid, you might have to double your dosage. The ratio of T3/T4 in Naturethroid apparently isn’t the same as Armour!

December 2, 2009 at 8:35 pm
(46) Dee says:

Went to my endocrinologist today for the regular 6 month recheck of thyroid levels and the TSH was WAY high and my T3 and T4 levels WAY low.

I have been on Armour thyroid for many years and have been quite stable in the dosage, and happy with the therapy. I had a thyroidectomy so I am totally medication dependent. In the past many months, ( Summer to Fall) I have had new problems that I did not recognize as I had never been truly hypothyroid, as I had nodular goiter. The lack of energy, brain stamina, dry skin, fingernails splitting, weight gain, immune problems, had me getting very worried about an underlying cause, and now I find that it is the medication that I have been dutifully taking every morning on an empty stomach with no other pills for hours, has left my body entirely thyroid depleted.

I went to my “boutique” pharmacist and told him that these pills must be made in China or some fake pill making company, but he said he gets them for the regular distributor. Now that I have read this link I believe him, but it would have been good if when I refilled the meds in the past many months he mentioned that there were know “issues” with this reformulation.

I am going to go back on Synthroid AND Cytomel to get the mix of the active T3 and T4 which is what the Armour thyroid was supposed to be so helpful for as it was bio available in the same ratio as naturally produced thyroid hormones. I would recommend that to anyone going back on Synthroid (reservoir T4), to make sure you get a script for the cytomel ( active T 3)at the same time.

Hope this helps someone who is having these same problems, and I look forward to feeling much more lively

December 2, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(47) Dee says:

Note to Marilyn

Dull pain in chest… might try Carnitine twice daily, you can figure the dose… I take 300 mg which is a low dose.

It erased my pain which I had on and off for about a year… and I did all the tests with my cardiologist and he said I was fine on his tests.

December 16, 2009 at 7:11 pm
(48) Laura says:

This past summer I began to take a down turn. I had severe painful swelling of joints, I could no longer wear my wedding rings. My hair stylist kept noticing my hair was different. I now could easily see my scalp where I couldn\’t before. I have gained 13+ lbs over the last 3 months. I had a hoarse voice, and trouble swollowing my food,plus reflux and was unable to sleep on my right side. I was extremely tired and had to nap every day. Things I enjoyed became a chore to get done. Example – I mixed up cookies but didn\’t have the energy to bake them. I have had to cancel going places because of my joint pain and tiredness. Besides my joints hurting everywhere, my muscles ached and my skin hurt when someone touched me. My husband recognized the symptoms but I insisted I hadn\’t changed anything about my thyroid medication. It was then I wondered if I had perhaps been given some expired Armour by accident. I went on line to see what the shelf life was and saw that they had reformulated it. I then made an appt with my Dr. Yes, my levels were totally in the opposite direction of where they should be. As of tomorrow, I begin to take synthroid .150 . I now have another six weeks before I will hopefully feel better and hope my now thin hair comes back!

December 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm
(49) Honey says:

Well, here’s my story. ANY input is appreciated. I am a 47 year old female. I asked my doctor(s) why I had all the symptoms for 8 years and was told nothing was wrong. YET- I had snake-ish dry skin, depression, anxiety, unexplained weight gain, lethargy and rashes. Then, I met a cousin with all the same symptoms who was an expert on Hashis- who confirmed my suspicions. Once I had the ANTIBODY test, I found out that in fact, something was VERY wrong. I have been on Levothyroxine for about 9 months and I have felt a relief, yet things are not 100%. I finally saw an endo. who was no help at all and refused to put me on Armour and said it was ‘for animals- not people’ I am looking for any suggestions. I have also recently become gluten free which has helped ease (some) symptoms too.

August 8, 2011 at 10:52 am
(50) kate says:

Find a different doctor. I started on Armour after using Synthroid for almost a year. I felt so much better after starting Armour. I know it’s the “new” formula, but I immediately saw a difference. i just FELT better. It is definitely worth finding another doctor to treat you.

December 21, 2009 at 1:19 am
(51) laura says:

I have been on 3 grains of nutrimeds thyroid for 1 1 /2 months and my tsh has gone through the roof. (37) I was on armour 3 grains for 4 years and my tsh was between 1 and 3 for most of that time. Since the reformulation of armour I noticed I felt tired, achy and emotional. I tested in october and my tsh went from 1.87 in july to 5.12. My naturapath suggested nutrimeds thyroid (porcine) and I tried for 3-4 weeks, then tested. My tsh went from 5.12 to 26! Tested 3 weeks later after upping my dose to 3 grains daily and my tsh went up to 37. it’s never been higher than 11 in 8 years since being diagnosed. Since i dont feel im getting better with armour anymore since the reformulation, and nutrimeds isn’t helping, I’m forced to go back to my .125 levoxyl plus 25 mcg cytomel daily. At least my tsh was under or around 1. My fatigue is almost unbearable and now it’s winter break and they are home. I just want some energy back. I was doing so well on armour for so long, I feel it’s unfair to have such a struggle with meds. I am however staying on the iodomere and thytroping from the naturopath, plus vitamin D and E. Hopefully I will see improvements soon. Anyone else having similar problems with increasing tsh with natural supplements I would appreciate any comments. thanks

December 21, 2009 at 11:01 am
(52) Illana says:

To #41- Rose. I am going to try that. so you stopped using the Pharma’s and now only this? Cool. I have been on Amour, Nature-thyriod, and west-thyoid (and there seems to be a shortage EVERYWHERE. I feel a bit better but I know there is something out there that is so much better- Hope this is it.
Please tell me how you are feeling.
I have low body temps, most of the time 95.6-96.7 on average!Also I have joint issues and Carpal Tunnel and RA (so they say) and all the literature I read says that this is related to Hashimoto’s.
My *body* tells me it the thyroid that needs the attention.

December 27, 2009 at 12:01 am
(53) Sherry says:

Rose #41, You can email me sherryps91@gmail.com. I have been on .125 mg Synthroid for 4 yrs – almost died, speach, hearing impaired and was swelled from head to toe with Thyroid raning in the 300′s. I still feel, even though range is right on, I need to switch to a natural. I ordered up the Nutri-Meds and just want to be sure I take the right amount. Do I double it, maybe do am/pm – what do you think. Also the adrenal and DHEA should I take at same time or wait? I saw a report where someone went way out of kilter and I prefer not to. My twin is a more serious case with her diseases – you might say I’m the guinea pig (no pun intended) before I switch her. God Bless and hope to hear from you, Sherry

January 18, 2010 at 1:22 am
(54) Janet says:

I, too was on a steady dose of Armour, then sudddenly started getting tired, depressed, losing appetite. Of course, my Doc wanted to gve me antidepressants, but we were doing routine blood tests anyway, and couldn’t understand why my TSH sudddenly went up. I know I wasn’t missing doses, but now I guess I know why. I am so glad for sites like this, but why weren’t Docs, pharmacies, etc notified?

January 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm
(55) Monica says:

I thought I was going crazy. Over the course of 6 months,my weight started creeping back up, I am tired and want to sleep all the time, my hair is falling out, and I have the dreaded brain fog again. All the symptoms that I had for so long on Synthroid have now come back after Armour thyroid changed the formula. The old Armour changed my life for the better. I did so great for a year and a half. Now I feel like I am just existing, not living. I feel like I am being held hostage in my own body. A strange feeling. I was put on Naturethroid recently when the pharmacy was totally out of Armour, so hopefully I will feel better in a few weeks. I agree it is wrong to not tell anyone. Best wishes to all on here who are suffering! :)

January 27, 2010 at 10:35 am
(56) Titia says:

I can’t find anymore Armour Thyroid. As far as I know I haven’t taken the new formula. I am just wondering about the Nature Thyroid or the Westhroid? How does it compart to the old Armour Thyroid?

April 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm
(57) Thomas says:

Armour sucks, I too had gone FUBAR from the new formula. I take 4-grains 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM and needed it to be Normal. After many months of failing HYPO symptoms my Doctor sent me to CanadaDrugs.com who took his scrip and had their reviewing Doctor OK it and now I get 100 tabs of something labeled as Armour the largest availabe is 125mcg (2-grains) that works for me from them for $66USD delivered. It is a different shape and size but it works. My attention span is good, no dry skin, and back on my game. I will get TSH tests and will report back soon, as I have been on it for three-months but feel back to my normal self.

June 24, 2010 at 12:10 am
(58) Lisa says:

I just started taking Armour this past week and found this thread. I am having blood sugar issues. I am CRAVING sweets! I did not have this problem before and taking Armour is the only change I have made in my life recently. After reading everyones comments I am wondering if I am better off not taking it as I am taking it more for anti-aging benefits than any disease. I am also nervous about losing my hair now. Have they put the formulation back to the way it was originally or does anyone know if it is still the “changed” version?

July 7, 2010 at 1:15 pm
(59) Mona says:

Wow – SO glad I found this thread. I was diagnosed 20 months ago. I’ve been on Synth/Cyto combo. Although I felt okay – I gained about 13 lbs. I made the decision to go off the meds two weeks ago. I guess I wanted to make sure that I am, in fact, HYPO. There was always a doubt in my mind. Well, I feel my HYPO symptoms returning.. Not horrible, but fatigue and slight brain fog. I made the big decision to try Armour and not got back on Synth/Cyto… and then I find this out! So, no Armour?? Geez… Now what????

July 19, 2010 at 8:55 pm
(60) Sharon says:

Help! I was diagnosed 3 years ago with hypothyroidism and have been on Synthroid ever since. There is not one day that I have actually felt better. My Endo claims that since my TSH levels are within range my symptoms are not related to my thyroid. I switched to a new Dr.! My new Dr. is willing to prescribe Armour (hurray)- but now all of this reformulation business. What are you all doingfor relief? Is there anything comparable? I just want to feel “normal” again.

July 23, 2010 at 7:10 pm
(61) Ingrid-Chicago n. Subs says:

Hi yall, I have been taking Armour Thyroid since ’98 and raved about its qualities. Through the years when I have to change a doctor. The AMA Medicaid doctors got on me, I’d go on Levothyroxine for a while. It would never work for me. So they’de put me back on AT. I got extremely ill last June. I couldn’t walk or talk straight.
I asked God for Wisdom, what was causing my symptoms. God and I are Tight! I do muscle testing (Bio-kinesiology). I tested EVERYTHING! God told me Point Blank, It was the Armour Thyroid. I tested the Batch I got in AZ. it was tainted!
I tested the batch I got 1 month later in Chicago, It was Fine!
My thoughts:
Pigs carry Viruses (They eat Anything!)Is there XMRV in Armour Thyroid?
Cellulose and Dextrose come from GMO corn!
(www.mercola.com GMO corn)
Most blood types can’t digest evan organic corn!
My nurse friend mentioned Forest Labs is Reformulating Armour to bring it up to Drug standards!
The Love of Money is The Root of All Evil!

August 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm
(62) PDX Gal says:

I switched back to the new Armour (after about 2 yrs on Levoxyl) once it became available. Used the “old” Armour with no problem, seemed to work well. Now I am having a lot of muscle twitching. For a couple of days my thighs felt really tired, like I’d just ridden my bike 100 miles….yet I’d been mostly sedentary. Also have been having random weird numb feelings in my face and calves (like I used to before I was diagnosed w/ Hashimoto’s and started treatment). The really odd thing is that my TSH was tested 2 weeks ago, after 2-3 months on the new Armour, and it was .49, the lowest it has EVER been. Before I went back to Armour my TSH was about 2.3. A really dramatic drop! BTW, my thyroid levels have never been dramatically outside the normal range, but I figure w/ Hashi’s I may as well treat it and be in the normal range. But now I’m having these weird symptoms. So something is up. Oh, I’m also on the same dosage (90mmg) as I was two years ago, yet having dramatically different reactions.

September 21, 2010 at 7:32 am
(63) Linden Sage says:

There are two possibilities here. One is that the new filler changes the absorption rate, as many of you have noted. The other is that the addition of cornstarch or the increase in celluloid is triggering an allergic reaction. I suffer from multiple food and filler allergies, and the symptoms are almost identical to hypothyroid symptoms. In fact they may be hypothyroid in effect. I read somewhere that when the body reacts to something with inflammation, some of the thyroid receptors stop working. Corn, BTW, is a common allergen. So one of the things to do is to get an allergy test.

September 21, 2010 at 8:00 am
(64) Linden says:

I have to correct myself. I just checked the Armour ingredients (http://www.frx.com/pi/armourthyroid_pi.pdf), and they do not list corn starch. They do list something called sodium starch glycolate, whatever that is. But I still think that food allergies may play a role with some of you.

November 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm
(65) Carma says:

Aloha,
I seem to be experiencing a lot of the same effects from the Armour reformulation. I was exhausted and literally felt like I was going to die. My doc tested me every 30 days for three months and he kept telling me I was over medicated and would cut back my dosage. I have been on Armour 1.5 grains for YEARS an am now down to 1/2 grain to get my TSH within the normal range. My main symptoms are of course exhaustion. My sleep has been highly effected which leads to major brain fog and depleted energy levels. Has anyone else noticed their sleep cycle seems out of sync?? I haven’t slept in over a month! I really want to nix the Armour and try the nutri-med thyroid one of you suggested. I’m tired of being tired! Heading back to my former naturapath who prescribed Armour to me 7 years ago. Greatly appreciate any feedback especially on the sleep. I miss deep delicious sleep

April 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm
(66) Christina says:

WHAT? Forest states that the “only thing” that has changed in the new formulation of Armour is the fillers. More specifically they say that they have increased the amount of cellulose, added cornstarch and decreased the amount of dextrose in the Armour Thyroid tablets.

Do they realize that the changes to the ingredients that have been made, has been detrimental to the individuals that have to take thyroid replacement drugs. This NEW re-formulated drug is literally killing people who are taking it due to their sensitivity and allergic reactions to these fillers. The already KNOWN side effects are even more severe now than they were with the previous formulation, according to personal knowledge as well as the documented feedback that I’ve read on the Internet, regarding this situation. To be fair there were some individuals (few that I found) that either were not effected at all or it worked better for them.

What constituted the need to change the medication in the first place? What clinical studies have been made regarding this situation, and are the findings available to the public? Could it be that some people were allergic to it, and it was changed to benefit them. If so, then perhaps this “new” Armour should have been released with the new formulation to benefit those people, not take away the Armour that was working for others. Isn’t this American? Are we not supposed to have the freedom of choice as well.

What genius(s) decided to make these changes to the drug, then take the “good” Armour off the market and not even inform doctors, pharmacies and patients, that these changes were going to be made, and eventually did make and marketed it. Now, what will happen to the people that did good on the “Old” (circa 2008) Armour Thyroid formula, that may only have access to the new formula? Will they just have to “live with it” and continue to suffer and eventual die early because of complications due to this medication.

July 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(67) Barb says:

Rose – What symptoms were you having before you went on Nutri-Meds. Are you still doing well on Nutri-Meds? I’ve been having horrible issues which I now think relates to Armour Thyroid. Any information you can give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

August 30, 2011 at 6:44 pm
(68) JC says:

I have to say that I’ve noticed no difference in my health even if they did change the formulation of Armour Thyroid.

I have had some variations in my health but have tied that in to how much carbohydrates I get and am trying to stay close to a low-carb diet. That in itself has helped with most of the symptoms. Arthritis, appetite and other issues tie in well with increased carb intake.

The only other thing that I’ve done is to start taking digestive enzymes – mostly papain – and that’s handled the appetite problem well.

I seriously don’t think it was the change in the formulation. If anything, the only change would be that the thyroid is more bioavailable.

September 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(69) silvia dvillanueva says:

since 2009 i was treated with thyriod cancer and still to this date i have cancer my last bady scan about a month ago found two more tumors in my neck since i no longer have my thyriod gland i guess now its neck cancer i dont know i feel so lost ive been on synthriod meds since all this started and i feel like crap still do ….i want to try something else but i am so scared …so ive been reading about amour and since i live so close to the mexico border im going to check if they sell this there i hope they do becoause my endocrongist doesnt want to change me frm synthriod… i dont knw why if its my body if i dont feel well i should try anything that will make me feel better i dont know what lays ahead with my cancer but i have nothing to lose …someone help me please i just wnat to feel normal again

November 1, 2011 at 8:05 am
(70) Martine says:

I took action and I switched to a pharmacy in Canada (Canadadrugs.com). My doctor faxes the prescription to them.
For the last 2 years, I have been getting my armour from them.

July 3, 2012 at 7:25 am
(71) Diane says:

I was told by the pharmacist at Forest there is NO cornstarch, but a corn ingredient…………

September 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(72) margaret greene says:

The new Armour just about killed me. Forrest lab should be jailed.

April 24, 2013 at 10:15 pm
(73) Margaret says:

I was on Armour for about 30 years and it gave me my life back,..around 2009 I started having my old symptoms anxiety ,panic ,pressure on the throat..Kaiser just ran my labs and said I was fine so I changed Insurances so I could get some help…I got a sonogram and found I had developed a node in my left lobe..and now I am seeing a thyroid specialist to see if I can get my life back again at 60..anyone wanting to do a class action on Forest for this reformulation can e-mail me Margaret.wilber@yahoo.com