1. Health

Mary Shomon

Leptin Resistance and Reverse T3 May Be Keys to Weight Loss for Thyroid Patients

By May 14, 2009

Dr. Kent Holtorf believes that two commonly overlooked endocrine dysfunctions -- leptin resistance and excessive production of a form of thyroid hormone known as Reverse T3 -- may be the cause of weight gain or difficulty losing weight in some people, and in particular, thyroid patients. You'll want to learn more about this in his article, Long Term Weight Loss - More Than Will Power?, which is featured at Huffington Post. In the article, Dr. Holtorf explains how these factors are tested and treated. I joined the discussion, and raised two additional thyroid-related endocrine dysfunctions that are frequently overlooked as factors in inappropriate weight gain or difficulty losing weight with a healthy diet and exercise.

Need More Thyroid Diet Help?

Do you want to delve further into the issue of weight loss for thyroid patients? Here are some additional resources to help:

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
May 15, 2009 at 6:08 am
(1) Deb says:

Is Wilson’s Syndrome related to tyroid disorders and it is a real syndrome? There is so much info. that contradicts.

May 15, 2009 at 3:23 pm
(2) Ed Arnold says:

I have no doubt that Holtorf is correct about the RT3 part. When I went on T3-only therapy, I began losing weight without dietary changes.

Holtorf’s ideas about Leptin are a rehash of stuff done years ago by Ronald Rosedale. I found his comments about corn syrup causing leptin resistance to be intriguing. This is yet another reason to watch “King Korn” again, and JUST SAY NO TO CORN SYRUP!

June 3, 2011 at 11:38 am
(3) bmccoy says:

“Korn King” website please…

May 17, 2009 at 1:30 am
(4) Carol W. says:

High cortisol may be a common link in persons
with high rT3 and leptin resistance.

February 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm
(5) ami says:

I don’t think that high cortisol levels have a lot to deal with leptin. I was just tested by my endocrinologist for weight issues. I am hypothyroid but they keep telling me everything is fine. My leptin levels came back really high. They say that the high end should be around 29 and mine was 81! According to many articles this is because I have Leptin resistence. Of course the doctor doesn’t expalin this, I have to find it in my own. Now I am trying to figure out how to manage it and reduce it so I can lose some weight.

June 19, 2011 at 7:16 pm
(6) RAY says:
October 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm
(7) Frankie C says:

Good luck to all of you who are trying the Leptin diet. Hope it’s a long-term gain (loss.)

Please feel free to read my blog at http://overthetopgolf.blogspot.com

Frankie C

September 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(8) elizabeth says:

My suggestion to Ami: FIND A NEW DOCTOR.

I went through the SAME bs as you for over 7 years. I had all the classic thyroid symptoms, and STILL my doctor said my thyroid was fine because my TSH and T4 were normal. I developed fibromyalgia, lymphedema, Cushing’s Syndrome from a prednisone prescription and went into adrenal shock. I then developed pericarditis and spent a week in a cardiac unit. When they released me, they called it “anxiety”. I’m not kidding.

I finally pushed hard enought that my doctor ordered a sonogram and CT scan on my neck (because I ‘wouldn’t take his word for it’). Guess what? The thyroid which is supposed to be JUST FINE is smaller than a pea. This genius even went as far as to accuse me of having it surgically removed without telling him. (REALLY?!?!?!?). Some village is missing its idiot. Needless to say, I fired him.

I had to go off-plan ($$$ ouch) before I found a doctor that understood thyroid and adrenal issues, and he saved my life. Six months after I began Cytomel treatment, my cankles are gone, the water around my heart is gone, the fibromyalgia is in remission, and my remaining symptoms are very minor. I can work all day and not feel like a truck just drove over me.

Doctors are very good at insisting that they know what they’re talking about. But remember, they’re no different than the guy in the drive-thru who gives you sweet tea instead of unsweet, then blames it on you. My best advice is find someone who knows they DON’T know it all and are willing to listen to what you have to say — and view it as valuable information.

October 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm
(9) JoJo says:

Elizabeth – Hoping you read this & you live somewhere near NY or NJ? Would love to see your doctor. I am in desperate need of help!! I went on T3 only but it’s not getting into my cells.

Thanks
Jo

March 2, 2014 at 8:09 pm
(10) Danielle says:

hi Elizabeth,
was your doctor anywhere near ny or nj? I have such swelling in my legs and weight gain.
Please help!!!

May 1, 2014 at 10:15 am
(11) brenna says:

Elizabeth, I wish you were my neighbor! I have Fibromyalgia as well as ALL the same things you have and had. Some way keep posting here what u find out. We all need support on this problem.