1. Health

Mary Shomon

Peanut Butter and Thyroid Problems

By September 16, 2008

Can a daily peanut butter sandwich cause a thyroid problem? Dr. Peter Gott tackles the question from a reader. Unfortunately, Gott also manages to overstate the thyroid risk of peanuts. (You know, after multiple stories by Gott--here's one, and here's another -- that show how breathtakingly uninformed Gott is about thyroid disease, I think it's time for him to retire completely.) If you'd like to read his latest muddled mess, check it out now.

As for peanut butter, peanuts do contain goitrogens -- these are the naturally-occurring chemicals in foods that slow down the thyroid (i.e., soy, broccoli, millet, etc.) It's not clear, however, and there haven't been any studies, regarding to what extent peanuts, or peanut butter, can affect the thyroid. Studies show that cooking of goitrogens typically removes most of the goitrogenic effect -- i.e., cooked broccoli. Since peanut butter involves roasting peanuts, the likelihood that peanut butter has goitrogenic potential is quite small, but it's something that would make a good topic for study.

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
September 16, 2008 at 1:05 pm
(1) Jax says:

so does that mean peanut butter really does interfere with the thyroid? I’m kind of confused.

September 16, 2008 at 11:54 pm
(2) Nora says:

This blog is missing important information…Mainly, the answer to the title of the blog.

Without crucial information from the blogger Dr. Gott makes more sense than this blog does.

September 18, 2008 at 9:25 pm
(3) Mary says:

I read a lot of articles that says these foods when cooked there goitrogenic effect were lost.So,there is nothing to worry about!

September 19, 2008 at 12:04 am
(4) Nora says:

Ah Finally a second paragraph is added…Makes more sense now.

September 19, 2008 at 3:47 am
(5) Kevin says:

I have now had my TSH, T3 and T4 levels tested before and after eating foods that will supposedly reduce thyroid hormone levels. In my case the foods were tea (the naturally occurring fluoride is the culprit) and soy (which you have probably read about on this site). The results were that my TSH, T4 and T3 levels were just about identical – these foods made no difference in my actual thyroid levels! I am extremely skeptical of all these articles warning us to stay away from healthy food because of our thyroid problems. Get some allergy testing and/or try stopping the foods for a few weeks to see if there is any difference – check out what works for you and don’t base your eating decisions on somene’s scary theory about food!

July 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(6) Marco says:

Hey Kevin, I just can’t agree more with you. I have been the biggest eater of Nobby’s roasted peanuts and mate they taste super awesome now for the last 35 years and thankfully my TSH, freet3 and freet4 have been more than perfect and peanuts are very rich in so many good stuff like the natural biological form of vitamin E which our bodies recognise better than the one they throw into multi vits. I don’t know why all this crazy talk of good old healthy food now is becoming unhealthy? Is this another way of making money. Let me tell you when our grandmas and grandpas were consuming healthy whole foods they never had the problems we have these days and they worked extra hard to the last day of their life on ages exceeding 70 years!.

Marco

September 19, 2008 at 5:16 am
(7) JennyFreeman says:

I am one who DEINATELY is affected by a peanut butter sandwich. I am very careful what I eat and discovered after eating peanut butter that the next day I was seriously compromised. I checked this out during the next few weeks and found each time I ate peanut butter I suffered the next day. I have been warning others re peanut butter for a while now.

September 19, 2008 at 6:27 am
(8) Deborah says:

I don’t have a problem with peanut butter, but I do have a problem with the bread, and crackers that you put it on. So I put the peanut butter on veggies and fruit.

September 19, 2008 at 6:40 am
(9) GeekLady says:

Makes sense. When I was hyperthyroid, I had an allergic reaction to peanuts; my face or lips would swell (angioedema). I had never reacted to peanuts prior to developing Graves/hyperthyroid. I could, however, eat peanut butter with little or no allergic symptoms.

September 19, 2008 at 7:20 am
(10) Emmett says:

I will apologize in advance for being so long winded here, but I’ve recently been diagnosed with HAshimotos disease. The endocrinologist has told me that I have had it for ten plus years.Somewhere, in the course of six months,I came across a book “Eat Right for Your Blood Type”.It intriqued me specifically because my blood type was targeted for Hashimotos.In addition, D’Adamo listed foods that inhibit thyroid function and promote it.Although it did not specifically state that peanuts cause low thyroid function,it did state that my type should avoid peanuts.
One thing is certain in my mind,I do not believe that every human being is the same genetically. Furthermore, I agree with Kevin.You should experiment with different foods to determine what ails you and what doesn’t.As an example,I have discovered that foods with wheat gluten are not for me and have caused me to be very sluggish and tired. So, I avoid it altogether and eat rice based products in small weekly doses.
I have found, for myself, the foods (good/bad) listed in the aforementioned book I am studying, has worked in my favor. I have lost nearly 30 pounds in 4 months.That is something that I have not been able to accomplish in over a decade. Even when I ran 3 miles a day five times a week.
Finally,and not least, my medication was changed from levothyroxine ,which I took for 3 years and it did little to help me, to Levoxyl. It has been discovered that the levothyroxine dosages were inconsistant with each dose. In other words, somewhere during the manufacturing process, some dosages of the medication had the correct amount for my thyroid,some had too much and some didn’t have anything present at all.
I have suffered for over a deacade thinking that I wasn’t doing enough. I am glad to finally know it wasn’t due to my lack of trying my best. Instead, I had an actual viable problem.
Too bad the US Navy wouldn’t listen to my pleas concerning my ailments.Instead all I got was a cat scan,a visit to a psychologist, who said I had an anxiety disorder, and an honorable disharge for weight control failure. I would have been retired in another 2 years.Oh well, such is life.

September 19, 2008 at 7:43 am
(11) Judi says:

What about just plain old peanuts?? Like red skin or M&M’s I love peanuts and put them on a lot of things though the M&M’s by themselves. Or nuts of any kind – walnuts, almonds, etc. Just had my lab done last week – get results next week. I too, am sluggish but think it IS due to the type of meds. Diagnosed 6-7 years ago, put on Synthoid and felt so much better plus lost weight, then Levothyroxin and felt terrible with weight gain, now .100 Levoxyl and sluggish, slow mind, weight won’t go…what a roller coaster! The Synthoid seemed to do the best for me but too expensive with no health insurance.

September 19, 2008 at 8:23 am
(12) Kris says:

My problem with Dr. Gott’s comment on peanut butter is he specifically said “It causes hypothyroidism”. WHAT???? Just like Oprah says her thyroid problem was cured with a stress free vacation. She has a rude awakening ahead.

September 19, 2008 at 8:25 am
(13) Pat says:

I have been eating peanut butter sandwiches the last few weeks and was wondering why I was feeling so tired. Now, I will try taking that out of my diet and see what happens. I do know soy definitely does effect my levels. Thanks for the information Mary.

September 19, 2008 at 8:53 am
(14) babs says:

I’ve never had a peanut butter sandwich a day in my life and I have a hypothyroidism.

September 19, 2008 at 8:57 am
(15) jane says:

I have switched to organic peanut butter after reading about the toxic sprays used on all peanuts. I eat the sandwiches 2 or 3 times a week with no weight gain and more energy.

September 19, 2008 at 9:39 am
(16) Josephine says:

Emmett, thank you so much for your post. It resonated with me in a lot of ways. I too find I feel best when I follow the instructions in “Eat Right for Your Type”. I really can’t eat wheat without creating problems for myself, including weight gain, sluggishness, and overall lack of vitality. I too have followed the advice of doctors in error. And I have found a lot of value in Mary Shoman’s books, articles, and other writings.

Having a thyroid problem is like having a gifted child. You must educate yourself about how to best care for it. That means that there are no simple answers, except for maybe “it depends…”

Simple questions like: Should I eat peanuts or not? cannot be answered with a yes or a no. You must become an advocate for your own unique metabolism. One size does not fit all. You must become a scientist with your own body as your subject matter. You must keep careful records and observe what happens before, during and after. And, above all, you must refrain from seeing others as the experts about what YOU must do. Learn to learn from the book of nature (read: your own body), the only book which can enlighten the reader. Seek counsel and guidance, but realize that learning about yourself is a life-long process.

September 19, 2008 at 9:46 am
(17) Lavonne says:

I have been on Synthroid for 2 years. It took over a year with lots of trial and error to the point that I actually feel good. Now that I feel normal again, I can tell when I eat something that effects my thyroid. If I eat soy, I do have leg pain (which was always my worst) and other thyroid symptoms within 6-24 hours. I do know that at times I have symptoms for no reason, and I have just always assumed it was something I ate that slowed down my already bad thyroid. I will keep a watch now to see if peanuts could be a problem, since I do eat them.

September 19, 2008 at 9:46 am
(18) Fran says:

I was having what felt like “sinking” episodes, getting weak, feeling as if I needed to go back to bed–very fatigued, and quite suddenly at that. I blamed it on the jam I was putting on my peanut butter and toast for breakfast. I thought it was a sugar rush from the jam, and the possible drop afterward–which it could have been, of course. I don’t eat eggs or the usual breakfast meats so I began eating cereals again at breakfast time–and the strange, somewhat scary episodes stopped. Coincidence? I don’t know. Maybe it was the peanut butter. I was eating it because I thought it was healthful. So I guess it would be a good idea to do a little study of my own and go back to eating peanut butter for a week or two and see what happens. I don’t like to assume something that has not been tested thoroughly and I also know what affects one person one way can affect another very differently. Interesting topic, though. I like the way you offer both sides of an issue that has not been decided–especially since some issues are never settled. Because I am weary of the seemingly widespread habit of people with a platform grabbing the ball and running with it (spreading the unproven word) without even looking to see which goal post belongs to which team. Thanks for never doing that.

September 19, 2008 at 9:49 am
(19) Mary G says:

I love peanut butter – say it ain’t so! Thank you Emmett for recommending “Eat Right for Your Blood Type.” I will look for it immediately. I have Hashimoto’s and have constantly battled weight gain and the inability to lose the weight once gained. My endocrinologist I just started to go to, switched me back to Levoxyl that I used over a year ago. (Too much to go into, but basically battled with a previous doctor and his insistence that the generic, levothyroxine, was fine for me). Anyway, having been been on Levoxyl for two months now, not only do I feel better, but five pounds have come off. Twenty more pounds to go, but heck, I’m thrilled! Maybe as my body adjusts more to my correct dosage, more weight will come off? Good luck to all with food sensitivities/allergies in regards to our lovely thyroids and I hope everyone finds the answers for their thyroid issues.

September 19, 2008 at 10:04 am
(20) Carol says:

I’ve been eating pb for years. Infact, my breakfast is pb and toast. It has no affect on my thyroid. The only affect one could have would be if you are allergic to peanuts.

September 19, 2008 at 11:21 am
(21) Mary says:

Peanut butter is a diabetics friend.

September 19, 2008 at 11:26 am
(22) Michelle says:

I must agree with the peanutbutter issue effecting the thyroid, atleast mine. I have found that when I eat a lot of PB my thyroid symptoms become rather exaggerated. It certainly does effect me as does soy. I am thankful for this article as it affermed my thoughts.

September 19, 2008 at 11:33 am
(23) Anna says:

I’m not a big fan of D’Adamo’s Eat Right for Your Blood Type book. According to the Blood Type theory, my blood type suggests I avoid animal products and eat vegetarian, which is a disastrous way for me to eat.

In addition to being hypothyroid, I am borderline diabetic (despite a normal BMI of 22) so I have to choose foods that keep my blood glucose in a normal, even range. Generally speaking, eating vegetarian means either not getting enough of the protein and energy I need if I focus on vegetables and too much of BG raising carbohydrates I don’t need if I focus on the grains/legumes, etc. I find I am much better overall with a “real food” diet of home prepared food, with plenty of non-starchy veggies, animal proteins and natural saturated and monounsaturated fats (I avoid industrial PUFA vegetable fats/trans fats, though). I strictly limit concentrated sugars and starches, including legumes, and generally avoid grains and soy. I’ve maintained my weight and Blood Glucose control for 4 years this way and do not have to take diabetes medications.

I’ve known many people to follow the Blood Type diet and I think many of the benefits that they achieve is mostly due to replacing processed industrial foods with higher quality real foods and paying attention to their food consumption, not that the foods correlate with their blood type.

September 19, 2008 at 11:45 am
(24) Tracey says:

Basically, this is not an answer. I love P.B. (and try to stick to more natural ones, e.g. ~little to no additives)- and will just pay attention to how I feel after I eat it for about 24 hrs.

September 19, 2008 at 12:46 pm
(25) emetaphor says:

Peanuts are in the legume family, so you can instead substitute with almond butter or sunflower butter, for example.

September 19, 2008 at 1:01 pm
(26) angie says:

OMG….I have been reading Mary Shomon’s books and website forEVER (LOVE HER) and this is the first time I really went HMMMM….I was diagnosed with HASHI’s 8 yrs ago….but it took me about 2 yrs to feel okay…however, I definietly still have episodes/issues….HOWEVER…about the PB….I ate PB EVERY single day from K to gr 9 (for lunch) b/c I hated meat….so who knows, maybe it contributed. very interesting….requires attention…thx

September 19, 2008 at 3:04 pm
(27) Edward R. Arnold says:

Forgetting thyroid for a moment, there are other very good reasons to reduce peanut consumption. Proponents of the paleolithic diet, in particular, have pointed out that peanuts have a very unfavorable omega-6/omega-3 ratio, and contain large quantities of lectins, which may not be good for the human body. If you want to check this out, google on “peanuts omega-6 omega-3 lectins” and/or check out thepaleodiet.com.

September 19, 2008 at 3:07 pm
(28) Julie says:

I like Dr. Gott myself.

September 19, 2008 at 3:23 pm
(29) Buffy Anderson says:

My Naturalpathic doctor doesn’t even want me to eat goitrogenic foods cooked! Now that I have a thryoid problem, I am more in tune with my body than ever. I notice when I eat anything with peanut butter in it (more peanut butter than peanuts) I get heart burn or acid reflux. So I avoid them and stick to other nuts if I need a nut fix. I’ll try almond butter (although that is a goitrogen, too) It seems like I can’t win here! LOL.

September 19, 2008 at 4:12 pm
(30) JoAnnaC says:

I was diagnosed with hashimotos nine years ago but meds made me feel terrible so I live without them and watch what I eat. Certain foods make me sick and sluggish. The main ones are peanuts, soy, sweet potatoes, and raw cabbage. There are more but these are the main ones that I completely avoid. Stress is also a big factor. I think that dental fillings I received as a child could have caused problems as well. Avoid placing cell phones near your head (instead talk with the speaker on or use a land line), and don’t sit too near your computer screen or big scrren t.v. Just makes sense to be careful of harmful magnetic fields which we are surrounded by in today’s world.

September 19, 2008 at 8:59 pm
(31) Nancy says:

Hi guys
When buying peanut butter look at the other ingredients, soybean oil is in most of the major brands.

September 20, 2008 at 12:25 am
(32) Susan says:

I was diagnosed with Graves (with my numbers almost off the charts) almost 3 years ago. My energy was extremely low. At my worst, I was standing at my kitchen sink and suddenly felt overwhelming fatigue. Went to go lie down on my sofa and couldn’t make it there — had to lie down on the floor where I WAS at. I was treated by a wholistic D.O., who put me on a sugar-free, gluten-free diet. I was on this for 5 or 6 weeks, with not a great change in my energy. I came across D’Adamo’s “Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type”, chose 3 things off the “Recommended” list for dinner (salmon, broccoli and sweet potato), and within in 30 min my energy shifted for the better. I could physically feel it. I ate this for 3 more meals and by the end of the weekend, I was almost 90% back. I stayed on this plan for a couple months and my numbers returned to normal. My blood type is AB+. My doctor said that this diet works well for my blood type, but it is not so clear cut for an A, B or O because you can have a sub-type that is unknown. You would have to experiment for yourself to figure it out, and that could be difficult.

As far as the PB is concerned, it is recommended for my bloodtype and I eat it frequently. I do however, eat only organic PB which has nothing else added to it. The commercial types can have a lot of additives and hydrogenated oils.

September 20, 2008 at 4:31 am
(33) Abil says:

Organic peanut butter is now available in most grocery stores. Try it before you give up peanut butter forever. I’ve discovered I’m seriously allergic to sulphur (which causes all the symptoms mentioned above – in my case) so I stay off all preservatives and additives and now know that most ‘other’ peanut butters have additivies in the oils.

September 20, 2008 at 5:07 pm
(34) paula says:

I have had Hashimotos for at least 10 years that I know of. I also developed fibromyalgia about 5 years ago. I never thought about peanuts. I eat them and don’t notice anything. However it’s hard to tell becasue there is possibly a link between these two conditions and my pain is pretty much all I can deal with. Can’t take Lyrica so take vicodin. Anyone else got these two problems?

September 20, 2008 at 5:45 pm
(35) Heather says:

DO NOT RECOMMEND PEANUTS — SUPPOSED TO BE CARCOGENIC.
I am hypothyroid, with associated metabolic syndrome & pre-diabetes. I stick to a low fat, low sugar, low salt, low GI, high fibre diet. Exercise most days (my transport is a bicycle). Have taken advice in book Alternative Cures That Really Work. Take supplements to delay onset of diabetes eg alpha lopic acid & vitamin E. Eat suggested foods eg fatty fish like kippers & salmon, almonds & cashews. Was eating cheaper peanuts, then read book by nutrionist that peanuts contain a chemical that is highly carcogenic. Despite following health advice, cannot lose the 35kg I gained with ill health — that is, BMI went from 22 to 31. Embarrassing and heading for diabetes.

September 20, 2008 at 6:16 pm
(36) michaela says:

regarding synthroid being expensive, it is NOT you can get generic at target or walmart for 4$.

September 21, 2008 at 8:41 am
(37) Anne Cheshire says:

Thanks for clearing up my confusion over the problem of goitrogens.
I know from listening to my body that eating peanuts can make me feel unwell for a few days but eating satay sauce & for e.g. cooked broccoli doesn’t seam to affect me at all.

September 22, 2008 at 12:16 am
(38) Lynn M. says:

Michaela,
Generic Synthroid is levothyroxine. You can’t use the price of levothyroxine to establish whether brand-name Synthroid is expensive or not.

September 23, 2008 at 9:02 pm
(39) debbie says:

I am new to all of this. Thank y’all for each of the comments. My $4 Levothyroxine is just not cutting it. So, I’ll go back to my doc and ask him to re-write my RX for Synthroid.I am tired of not losing weight. I do have a challenge, though- I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Hey, can someone tell me about Armour thyroid? One of my patients (I’m an LPN) told me she was taking it. Thanks.

September 24, 2008 at 8:29 pm
(40) Teresa says:

I have hypothyriodism I am always tired have gained so much weight it now affects my breathing.I never had allegies,,, until my thyroid i believe has attacked my immune defenses or altered them due to hypothyroidism. diagnosed in 2006 same meds since then synthroid levothyroxine felt bad ever since ive been on them and i hve a hard time to stay awake I have about 4 pages of allergies .Whatever i eat i am allergic to. I am currently not able to stop bloating anymore its an all day thing everyday any suggestions

September 24, 2008 at 9:21 pm
(41) debbie says:

Teresa, I know what you mean. I, too, have severe bloating with anything I eat. Several patients lately have asked me if I am pregnant! I sometimes do look about 7 months pregnant.I look funny, because my arms, legs and face are slender.And I never had allergy symptoms until this year, age 52.Bummer.God, help us. We need a cure. I am tired of these legs aching.At least we have a diagnoses.

September 25, 2008 at 8:46 pm
(42) susie says:

I was dx with Graves about seven years ago, and have found it difficult at the very least to feel well on the levoxyl, and have to try and “play” with the dose to adjust to the symptoms that start to creep back in.

I agree with many here with getting in tune with your body, as our bodies are often a lot wiser than our minds ( although the mind is effected also with our food intolerances/allergies).

As natural as one can get is the best approach when continuing to heal our bodies,immune systems. Our family eats gluten free as either we have intolerances or the autoimmune celiac disease with gluten. Wheat actually competes for the thyroid uptake and when eating this way (gluten free) your thyroid will not have to work as hard, as I imagine with other foods, sugar, dairy. Also another interesting fact is toothpaste and the fluoride in it, and how it effects the thyroid, the use of it back in the 30′s/40′s was the way they controlled hyperthyroidism, no wonder when I feel I am over-medicated brushing the teeth helps calm things down. Same goes for the peanut butter to slow things down for me. Checking into a diet that is gluten free and doing some searches can be very helpful with so many symptoms than the classic ones doctors only look at, gluten effects so much more than the gut.

A bit over-winded here, sorry, when I get going on the never-ending learning of our thyroids, it is so fascinating. Best of health to you all.

September 26, 2008 at 12:09 pm
(43) Michelle says:

Regarding peanutbutter and the thyroid.. I honestly think it does effect the thyroid. When I was eating an extremely large amount of peanutbutter my thyroid was giving me rather bad sypmtoms… when I refrained from eathing it the symptoms diminished quite a bit.

September 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm
(44) debbie says:

never mind about the Armour Thyroid. I have explored most items from this wonderful site we are on, and I now know it is from pig…On another note, I have learned that all this soy stuff I’ve been enjoying has been harming me… And isn’t it funny how we can crave the things we shouldn’t eat, such as cabbage and broccoli? yes, I can enjoy them cooked, but I just had cole slaw on my veggie weanie.Shucks.

September 29, 2008 at 12:15 pm
(45) Kathy Awbrey says:

Synthroid is under $1 per pill, so that’s about $30 a month. I checked with a major drug store in the USA and got a price under $27, so as far as the price of a drug, that’s pretty good. I think we all need to check the ingredients of anything we put in our mouth anymore (unless it’s out of our garden)as lot of things are getting soy added to them. I think the companies are well intended but it would sure be nice if they would not add all these extra little things, like soy and calcium.

September 29, 2008 at 1:57 pm
(46) Tina says:

I have taken the compounded T3&T4 for 6 months, stopped when feeling very fatigued and cramping in legs. Now back on the old formula 2 weeks (levothroid) still feeling extremely tired and now my hair is falling-out like crazy. Have given-up all soy products. HELP! Anyone with these problems??

September 30, 2008 at 3:03 pm
(47) Ed Arnold says:

To the hypothyroid patients who mentioned problems with bloating no matter what they eat:

You should get checked for food allergies. If I remember correctly, the Big 5 are gluten (wheat/barley/rye), milk products, soy, corn, egg.

Gluten is particularly nasty stuff. Reaction to the gliadin fraction can actually CAUSE Hashimoto’s. If you are genetically susceptible such that gluten has damaged your digestive tract (gluten enteropathy), then your digestive tract won’t process anything well. This will result in bloating and excessive gas.

October 1, 2008 at 7:52 pm
(48) reeser says:

I noticed that some peanut butters had soy in them in one form or another. I wonder if the two ingredients together make you feel bad if you are hypothyroid.

October 3, 2008 at 5:30 am
(49) Anne Cheshire says:

I just want to tell you about a site called regenerative nutrition. There is a lot of good articles on there.

I have been taking the Ionic minerals for about a month & my leg cramps have gone. I only need a small dose because Im sensitive & I think like many of us with low thyroids we have LOW ADRENALS TOO.

October 3, 2008 at 8:38 am
(50) pat mccabe says:

I love peanut butter. Could I have some additional places to search about this.

October 3, 2008 at 1:00 pm
(51) PattyAnn says:

I am SOOO tired, fatigued. I’m up to 400mg levothroid/daily and each time the fatigue comes back, the dr increases the dosage. Peanut Butter has been a staple in my diet. Just to see, I’m going to cut it out for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. I stopped eating raw brocolli and could really tell a difference. Does anyone think it’s the bread products and not the peanut butter? I’m going to have to experiment a bit.

October 6, 2008 at 6:53 am
(52) Sharon in England says:

Hi there, thanx to everyone for your comments. I was diagnosed hypothroid 9 yrs ago, was given levothroxine, with regular blood tests until i was “stabilised”, as the doc put it. Then i was told, as long as i kept up with reg bood tests i would be ok. But…i felt exhausted al the time,(or T.A.T. as the doc put it – tired all the time) i had just given birth to my son and was not sleeping, even though feeling exhausted, irritable and very emoitional. Since then, as the doc told me it was common to be tired after childbirth, i decided to seek alternative help.

I have seen a chinese doctor, with acupunture and chinese medicine. Expensive but very beneficial. A homeopath with acupressure. An oesteopath. Also a chriropractor.All were good in making me feel more energised, but when course of treatment finished, i quickly reverted to tired sluggishness.

I returned to the doc with extreme muscle pain, and extreme exhaustion. He diagnosed Fibromyalgia, and gave me Amitryptiline, this helped with my sleep pattern and a bit with the muscle pain, although i was taking pain killers every day.

Then 2 yrs ago after discovering my son was coeliac, i had a blood test with http://www.yorktest.com. My results came back intolerant to wheat, gluten, milk, egg white, and egg yolk, yeast, chicken, turkey, fungus foods like cheese and mushrooms,and the legume family including kidney beans and peanuts.I found great relief from my daily pain, and returned energy, and also some weight loss, but as i couldn’t eat cakes, bread, cheese, chocolate, wine or beer, this was to be expected!

I also came across the book, “Eat right for your blood type”, it was strange how many of my foods to avoid were also listed here.

I recently came across the sites re; thyroid disorders, as once again i have been feeling exhausted. I have immediately stopped drinking soya milk, and i have felt better. I think i will have to stop my morning coffee now, after reading coffee may not be good for the thyroid! I know i will have to, but my morning coffee is one of the things left to me that i enjoy! :-(

It seems to me, that to loose any weight i have to work extra hard, and then some, but also to remember to eat enough, as it is tempting not to out of sheer frustration, but this seems to, work against you, and with the slower metabolism of an underactive thyroid, this also makes sense.

I don’t know if any of you out there, find any similarites with my story? It is good not to feel so alone! Have a good week :-) s x

October 21, 2008 at 1:03 pm
(53) Frances Dobson says:

I have been reading with interest the comments about Peanuts/butter. I believe you can further benefit from learning that peanuts contain the highest amount of mycotoxins of any food and how this contributes to fungus in our bodies. Then how fungus is linked to many diseases that are never associated with the cause. You can learn about this by going to http://www.knowthecause.com, which is the website of Doug Kaufman. His daily TV show is also called ‘Know the Cause’, and the shows are streamed on the website as well. Information presented there indicates that fungus does affect thyroid in ways that we have not considered. You should find the site most interesting.

October 21, 2008 at 4:34 pm
(54) April says:

Believe me or not, but I work for Dr. Gott. He is not an endocrinologist but he tries hard to be provide accurate, informative information on every topic he writes about. Judging from the other comments here, peanut butter does have an affect on hypothyroidism symptoms. Perhaps in this case you are wrong. And, just in case you were wondering, he may be retired, but that doesn’t mean he’s stupid. He’s a brillant man, loved and respected by his colleagues and patients. We were sorry to see him retire, but glad he was finally taking time for himself. It was well deserved after more than 40 years as a solo practitioner.

October 21, 2008 at 6:13 pm
(55) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

Re: April’s comment

I’m sure Dr. Gott is a lovely man, and is loved and respected by his former patients.

But as a columnist and an MD — even if he is not an endocrinologist — he is responsible to disseminate correct information, and he is not doing so. He has on numerous occasions made misstatements about thyroid disease, information that could have easily been researched or checked before being published.

For example, he has indicated that Armour Thyroid is made from cows (it’s not), and that “depression is not generally associated with thyroid disease…” (it is) among other completely wrong statements about thyroid disease he has made in his columns.

Dr. Gott overstated the relationship — because there is no research that shows that peanuts and peanut butter “appear to trigger hypothyroidism.” If that research exists, I’d invite Dr. Gott to share the citations, because I have done an extensive search and am unable to locate it. Peanuts are a goitrogen, and as such, for some people, overconsumption may trigger a goiter, and it’s conceivable that it may contribute to thyroid issues. But again, I’d be interested in where there is clear evidence that “peanuts and peanut butter appear to trigger hypothyroidism” outright.

Again, while I’m sure that Dr. Gott is a lovely man personally and to work for, thyroid patients deserve correct information, and Dr. Gott has a spotty reputation when it comes to thyroid information.

October 22, 2008 at 4:49 pm
(56) katie says:

In most people, Armour Thyroid is far more effective than anything else because it contains T3 and T4. The others just contain T4. T4 must be converted by the body to T3 to be useful. Some bodies do this better than others.

Also, CAUTION when it comes to generic medications. They are not the same. They might have the same active ingredient but it can be in different forms than the brand name or at a different time release schedule. Some generics are worse than others like thyroid and wellbutrin. If you take generic and are not feeling the way you would like to, ask the doctor for samples of the brand name or ask for “brand name necessary” if your insurance will cover it. Also, the filler ingredients can make a difference in how the body absorbs the drug and there are no controls on those.

February 8, 2009 at 11:06 pm
(57) Pam says:

I totally agree with Katie! She is right about the T3 and T4.

I take Armour and after reading the book Your Amazing Thyroid (etc etc) I never even considered taking a generic. I feel super now -been on them one year. PLUS! I have never paid more than $15 at WalMart for my month prescription – and my insurance doesn’t cover the Armour.

I have taken birth control pills for years – the Ortho Novum are great for me – but the Necon make me feel awful.

P.S. I eat 5-6 tablespoons peanut butter weekly and it does not affect the way I feel. I don’t remember if it did when I wasn’t taking the Armour.

February 13, 2009 at 4:11 am
(58) Chandra says:

I was feeling great after being on Armour plus an adrenal supplement for about a week now. Today I feel horrible, headache, tired, nauseous, depressed. I went over what I changed in the last couple of days. Peanuts. I was eating peanut granola and a peanut rice bar. No more peanuts for me. Though I am seriously allergic to mold, so it could be that, too.

April 3, 2009 at 4:09 pm
(59) Martin says:

Wow, if you think that Synthroid is expensive, at $30 a month, you should try Cytomel (T3) at $150 per month! I’m interested in all of the comments about peanut butter, it’s been a huge staple of my diet for my whole life, and I’ve struggled with hypothyroidism since I was a child, although I was only finally diagnosed a few weeks ago…

November 4, 2009 at 1:16 am
(60) Jackie says:

I dont know if this is relevant but my thyroid is hyper and I was just diagnosed 4 wks. ago. 3 wks into my medication I broke out head to toe in a horrible hive like rash. The day before the rash I had a peanut butter sandwich. Now I dont know if its related but I was taken off my meds and tonight, it being a few days after Halloween I started digging into my sons trick or treat bucket and ate 2 Reeses Peanut Butter Cups (I know 2 but they are my favorite) and he we are broken out in the hive like rash. Can anyone share if they have had a similar experiance?

August 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm
(61) Traci says:

Folks try Armour. It has BOTH T3 and T4 important for the thyroid. Many doctors will try to convince you Armour is what they used in the old days and now we have better, new improved medications. Why that might be the case in SOME current medications, however others have terrible, and in some cases, deadly side effects. (like Boniva…sorry Sally Field but you are sadly misinformed)
Armour may be from a pig however at least it is not something made completely in a lab with numerous side effects. In addition it is cheap and WORKS GREAT!!!
I have been on it for 3 years now.
My brother, in another city, is trying to get on it however his doctor won’t let him. His doctor claims it does’nt work that well and is an old remedy. OMG!!! How do some of these doctors sleep at night. Oh…..I forgot….with the drug Companies right next to them……….
Please people research Armour and if your doctor won’t switch you then….you switch doctors!!!!!!

February 4, 2011 at 11:33 am
(62) Tina says:

If you already have thyroid problems, then yes, peanuts will affect your thyroid.

I have a very severe case of hypothyroidism. I cannot even nibble on kale, broccoli, mustard greens, cauliflower, soy, gluten, corn or canola oil. In fact, before I was given thyroid medication, I would fall asleep for 18 hours if I had too much citric acid (derived from corn) or ascorbic acid (derived from corn). Even *contamination* from soy, gluten or corn affected my energy and ability concentrate. Spinach is also a weaker goitrogen (just like peanuts) and I could not eat more than 15 leaves without feeling symptoms. I can also tell when meals have been contaminated with soy oil and corn oil because I sleep all the next day.

Although cooking does remove goitrogens (I believe I have read 1/3rd of goitrogens are removed), I definitely cannot even eat them cooked either.

So avoiding these foods and cooking these goitrogens will depend upon the severity of your thyroid problems.

April 14, 2011 at 10:22 am
(63) LA says:

Soy Oil and other Omega 6s veggie Unsaturated fats are known to lower thyroid and cause weight gain and increase inflammation in the body… check out articles by Ray Peat on his website

May 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm
(64) Mark says:

I had a goiter.

Step one: I stopped eating peanut butter.
Doctor thought I was crazy. Goiter went down somewhat.

Step two about a year later with more internet research:
I ate a low salt diet, (no salt tomato cans, etc etc) BUT I added fresh iodized salt + 1 brazil nut per day (to get selenium).

Now my goiter is gone.
I even eat peanuts and brocolli etc.

The salt in process foods doesn’t contain iodized salt !

Don’t bother explaining this to idiot doctors;
they just want to meet their monthly prescription quota.

December 28, 2011 at 7:08 am
(65) Hashim jamaludheen says:

From the mid of year 2010, I started using peanut butter till september 2011 as bread spread for my breakfasts regularly. I have grave opthalmopathy now. Thyroid levels seems to be ok. but doctor told the antibodies are active which effect eyes. On my left eye is bulging out due to the swelling of the eye muscles. doesn’t look better any more. Doctors gave me some steriods and it didn’t work. Now, I am using regular eye drops and elevated pillow etc..

May 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm
(66) Libby Lane says:

I think there might be something to this peanut butter thing. In January, I started taking celery and peanut butter to work for a mid-morning snack. I ate it 4-5 days a week. I have never eaten peanut butter so often. In February, I started feeling poorly – tired, weight gain, broken finger nails, slow elimination, you know all the symptoms of under active thyroid. It took me a while to put all the symptoms together, they are so subtle sometimes. I have been hypothyroid for 15+ years and never really had a problem. The medication worked fine. Anyway, I made an appointment with an endocrinologist to get my hormone levels checked. They came back fine and indicated the 150mcg level of thyroid hormone that I had been on for years. Then while on this website, I saw the item about peanut butter. I stopped eating it about three weeks ago and feel fine again.

July 13, 2012 at 10:54 am
(67) Lynn says:

Wow, I can relate to so many of you. I too have been suffering with extreme fatigue, swollen tummy (looking pregnant) and feeling oh so tired. I am presently on natural thyroid from my natural path and have eliminated all wheat (gluten) from my diet. I was starting to feel better but the last two weeks have been rough. I want to lie down for half the day and can’t rise in the morning. I have also been having peanut butter for breakfast each morning. Two days ago I stopped this and switched to a more “paleo” diet. I have meat for breakfast with some cheese and maybe some cucumber. I feel so much better. I never gave the soybean oil much thought in the peanut butter. Maybe this is it. I will have to experiment with all natural peanut butter and see. In addition, I wanted to share something else I’ve learned along the way. Please pick up a copy of “Wheat Belly” and give it a read. Wheat is doing so many nasty things to our bodies – including creating all these food sensitivities and allergies. I used to have a terrible time with spring time allergies, cat allergies, milk allergies. Since eliminating the wheat for over a year I no longer have these. It’s crazy what this stuff can do. In any event, I completely understand how hard this thyroid issue is and just wanted to share! Good luck to all.

December 19, 2012 at 11:44 pm
(68) Vanita says:

Peanuts do cause goitregens, and so do most forms of nuts, nuts should be avoided at all costs. They are the most hazardous types of foods. Dr. Gott is correct. Initially nuts will not have an impact but prolonged consumption of nuts will lead to life long health problems and should be avoided at all costs.

December 20, 2012 at 2:44 am
(69) F.R. Pina says:

Yes, I have learned that GOITREGENIC FOODS may slow down the thyroid (hyPOthyrodism), thus making it difficult for me to lose weight. So, I must constatly remind myself to avoid these goitregenic foods which include: Peanuts, Pine nuts, Millet, Strawberries, Pears, Peaches, Spinach, Bamboo shoots, Sweet Potatoes. Bok choy, Broccoli, Broccolini, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Canola, Cauliflower, Chinese cabbage, Choy sum, Collard greens, Horseradish, Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli), Kale, Kohlrabi, Mizuna, Mustard greens, Radishes, Rapeseed (yu choy), Rapini, Rutabagas. Have I missed anything?

I’m not comfortable about taking medications, as well as becoming dependent on Levothyroxine and/or Synthroid. I mean, what long term risks (to my liver or kidneys) am I taking by using these medications?They don’t cure hypothyroidism. They only shrink the goiter. Wouldn’t it be wiser to *start* with a daily 12.5 mg. dosage of iodine?

March 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm
(70) Diana says:

I too have hypothyroid, I suffered 3 years not knowing what was wrong with me. I had a culmination of issues and honestly have realized that a huge portion of what has caused it is diet. American food has so many preservative, hormones etc.. that cause digestive issues. I have been a very active person my whole life working out at the gym about 2 hours aday, skate afterwork, and bike road to work. 4 years ago maintaining the same lifestyle i began having digestive issues, bloating, constipation, nausea, weight gain. I went from pretty much teenage years till adulthood an average weight of 125lbs to 150 with out being able to loose it. After a year of these symptoms, my menstruation began to dissipate until it was gone for about 2 years. I began to realize that it was the food i was eating. I went completely vegan and gluten free to see what it was that may have been causing this. Although most of my symptoms persisted some got better. Doctors had me on all types of hormonal pills thyroid meds estrogen and progesterone which were all ineffective. I then began to eat mean and stayed away from lacotose and began to get better. Many of us with thryoid dysfunction is due to the fact we have been intolerant to some food and our bodies antibodies have acted up trying to battle the enzyme thus forming a toxicity and creating the immunity disorder. I have recently been able to stay at a relatively decent weight of 132lbs. I have done this by changing my diet and letting my body heal itself its still a struggle but not as bad as before. Eating for your blood type makes sense and i think if you get tested for a food intolerance that can be a great indicator for some(different from food allergy). I eat every 4 hours and just have a light dinner and it seems to keep my metabolism up.

September 18, 2013 at 12:50 pm
(71) Gwen says:

Hi, Ive just found this as ive been trying to find the link between peanut butter & the horrible symptoms ive had the past 3 days. My appetite has been quite minimal the past few months with my hypo thyroid so i treated myself to some peanut butter 3 days ago, when i say treated i ate 3/4 of the jar over the 3 days.. on day 2 i got extremely fatigued but worst of all my eyes became very very red, glassy, sore & irritable, vampire eyes i called them.. i have this before on & off but ive never been able to relate it to anything until now as ive been eating so little.. i felt bunged up & my neck felt swollen & i have headache.. But my eyes are the worst . I can definitely put this down to the peanut butter as all i ate otherwise was egg whites & cod.. I eat egg whites all the time & never have a reaction. i keep a note of how i feel after certain foods so i can honestly say it has to be from the peanuts :( ((

March 28, 2014 at 8:38 pm
(72) michelle says:

I have hypo..I stopped eating peanuts an dcpeanut butter a while ago..Also I juice in the morning and was wondering cause we shouldn’t be eating raw kale spinach is it bad to juice it ..I also am NOT giving up my am coffee!! I do drink a ton of water..Also Google the health benefits of spices..fresh ginger organic turmeric. Both are anti inflammatorys also turmeric also eats belly fat. Raw honey and cinnamon are awesome for thyroid functions.also other health benefits..I have lost over 4 lbs since last February. .I feel great.even better with some gluten free stuff..find out what works for you.