1. Health

Mary Shomon

Hashimoto's Patients Face Higher Risk of Thyroid Cancer

By July 17, 2008

Researchers looked the use of thyroidectomy -- surgery to remove the thyroid gland -- as a treatment for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. In the study, 474 patients were evaluated: 133 (28%) had preoperative diagnosis of thyroid cancer (, 316 had benign thyroid nodules or goiter, and 25 had symptoms caused by thyroiditis. Among the patients, no one experienced death or permanent surgical complications. 32.1% had transient postoperative hypocalcemia, Less than 1% had transient recurrent nerve palsy, and less than 1% had a postoperative neck hematoma. The researchers concluded that thyroidectomy can be performed in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis with a low risk of permanent surgical complications.

A surprising finding was that a total of fifty-three percent of the patients had thyroid cancer -- many more than the 28% who went into the surgery with a thyroid cancer diagnosis. Even when you exclude the patients who already knew they had thyroid cancer going into the surgery, the prevalence of thyroid cancer in the Hashimoto's patients as still 35.6%. According to the researchers, it is unclear why there is a link between Hashimoto's thyroiditis and cancer -- it may have to do with an immune response. Papillary thyroid cancer in Hashimoto's patients does, however, have a more favorable prognosis than in patients without Hashimoto's.

Shih, Ming-Lang et. al. "Thyroidectomy for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Complications and Associated Cancers," Thyroid. July 1, 2008, 18(7): 729-734. Full text PDF

Photo: istockphoto.com

NOTE: Free access to the full July 2008 issue of Thyroid is available online.

Comments
July 18, 2008 at 6:32 am
(1) Laurence (France) says:

What would have been interesting to know is whether there are patients for whom they found out they had a cancer although they didn’t have preoperative diagnosis for it. I often heard (from doctors) that the preoperative diagnosis (thyroid punction) is not 100% reliable.
Besides: The title of this article is not consistent with its content.

July 18, 2008 at 9:22 am
(2) Cindy says:

I had Hashimotos and my nodules had grown to a point that I had trouble swallowing. My father’s mother had thyroid cancer but I was always told it was exceedingly rare to have Hashi and cancer. All of my FNAs came back normal. My doctor referred me to a surgeon to take the enlarged nodules out and in the midddle of surgery, they discovered pappillary carcinoma. A full report showed cancer in both sides of my thyroid So much for FNA!

November 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(3) Josh says:

hey, I was wondering if your doctor did a biopsy? It sounds like your doctor skipped a step. I had to do two ultrasounds and biopsy and between all of that they learned I was suspcious for papillary carcinoma. Now, he prescribed for me to go to St. Louis for first check up and another ultrasound. I go Nov. 30 which is this wednesday. anyway, just curious what your steps where?

July 18, 2008 at 1:06 pm
(4) Odiewon says:

Gosh, I have Hasi and did not realize I had any increased risk of Thyroid Cancer. What should I do to protect myself?

July 18, 2008 at 1:45 pm
(5) julianna says:

I have hashi’s and never had an FNA or any kind of scan (I assume b/c my endo didn’t find any nodules on exam) The prevalence of cancer in this study is very high even if you take out the cases they already knew about. Screening for cancer may have to be more aggressive in the Hashi’s population.

July 18, 2008 at 4:16 pm
(6) Diana says:

Great, another thing to worry about. I have Hashimoto, plus nodules and a goiter. I have been tested for cancer and they are negative. But are they really cancerous.

July 18, 2008 at 4:18 pm
(7) Renee says:

I have hashimotes as well and I was wondering if getting your thyroid removed , if it would help with the symptoms you experience with it? Is it better to keep your thyroid or get rid of it in this case?

July 18, 2008 at 6:17 pm
(8) bmbcali says:

I have Hashi’s & hyper & some nodules. We do a sonogram twice a year and if the nodules show any growth at all, then we do the FNA. However, when we do the FNA, it is guided with a sonogram and we have someone standing by with a microscope to check the samples to make sure they get a good sample.

Sure, what are the odds if they poke your nodule 6 times and get a good sample that they just missed getting a sample that showed any cancer?

You can’t stress about it. I’ve been on this merry go round for 8 years and we haven’t found any cancer yet. My doctor said there was a less than 10% chance of cancer.

That is why if there is any growth of the nodules they will test again for cancer to be safe.

July 18, 2008 at 7:00 pm
(9) Jolene says:

I had my thyroid removed a year ago and then found out from the pathology report that I had Hashimotos and papillary carcinoma. Interesting……

July 19, 2008 at 12:24 pm
(10) Lahle Wolfe says:

I was diagnosed in early 1990 with Hashimotos and felt like I had great medical care. But I moved 4 years ago to a different state and my new doctor has not once mentioned cancer – or ever done an FNA and refuses to check T3 levels. My goiter is so large I have trouble swallowing. Time for a new doctor!

July 21, 2008 at 7:57 am
(11) Sue says:

What is FNA testing?

July 21, 2008 at 7:31 pm
(12) Helen says:

FNA = Fine Needle Aspiration FNA Biopsy of the Thyroid

July 23, 2008 at 2:58 pm
(13) Kori says:

After 13 years with symtoms of Hashimotos, TSH, T4, T3 test all normal but with visable enlarged thyroid gland, I had FNA to discover Papillary Carcinoma. Thyroidectomy was performed and then Chronic Hashimoto was then found. This article I found interesting as I went to doctor for years complaining of symtoms until I had trouble swallowing then my doctor took action.

July 24, 2008 at 6:29 pm
(14) Amanda says:

I had hashi and the cancer. when they started the FNA and ultrasounds the results never came back conclusive one way or the other so my endo recommended we remove the nodules. we removed 2/3 of my thyroid and then they realized i had cancer. i was given the option to get the rest removed but did not want to go through the surgery again. And Renee it doesn’t make a difference to the way you feel, except your body gets really “mad” at you for removing the gland and you feel like hell for a while after.

July 25, 2008 at 8:52 am
(15) Kellie Mac says:

I have had hashi since 1995 and had few problems but since having a baby 15 months ago I’ve lost my voice half a dozen times and had trouble swallowing and the typical symptoms of thyroid problems. Was referred to an endo and told everything was post partum until it has been too long to be that anymore. Had an ultrasound and found nodules. He dicked around for over 4 weeks and said “Everything is fine.” we’ll just look at it in 6 months. In the meantime went to family doc and got a referral to a head and neck surgeon. I feel like I’m waiting for a time bomb to go off but would really like a diagnosis because after feeling so awful and not myself for the past year and half something confirmed would be great. Sometimes its hard when the endo says functionally the test say you are ok and you know that you aren’t. I love this site but after reading comments and the blog it just seems that the thyroid is a tricky bugger and a lot of mystery. I’ve made a commitment to myself and family that our health is non negotiatable!!!!

October 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm
(16) Amanda says:

Hi
I am a 28 year old female. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroiditis in 2005. Since then, it’s been up and down with the medication. Finally I found a local endocrinologist that I thought I could trust, who agreed to keep my TSH around 1. Fortunately, at a regular appointment with my gynocologist, he thought he felt a nodule on the right thyroid lobe. I went immediately to my endocrinologist who was unable to feel anything… but basically ordered an ultrasound because “I’m crazy”. There were multiple nodules found, but I was informed of one of them, conveniently on the right lobe of the thyroid. Anyway, they biopsied the thing, it was cancer, and I am now 1 week out of a total thyroidectomy. I am about to fire/ leave my endocrinologist and find a new one who is more thorough.
If you feel like something is wrong, you have to be your own advocate. I felt really good a few days after the surgery, but now I can feel my energy slowly decreasing. Still more to come, and now I’m realizing that I am at risk for breast cancer (within the next 15-20 years) and all sorts of things due to not just the Hashimoto’s, and cancer, but the subsequent treatment to get rid of the cancer…

November 24, 2011 at 11:15 pm
(17) Josh says:

Hi. first of all I can’t know your exact pain but I can relate in many ways. l know its hard to wait for doctors and depend on them when you think oh they are looking out for you. But, most of the time they are not. You are right this is issue is very complicated thats what my doc said. I have been diagnosed with suspicious for thyroid papillary carcinoma and took almost 3 years and 5 seizures later among countless tests and medicine. I have learned that you have to take matters into your own hands and take control and not assume your doctors our doing everything right. Hope things turn out good for you!

July 27, 2008 at 11:06 pm
(18) Lynn says:

I have been diagnosed with Hashi since 1990. Going back for 10 years, though, I had classic symptons. My gen MD prescribed all my thyroid meds and listened to me when I suggested we add thyrolar to my meds. I lose my voice 2-6 times a year every year, my record time with no voice is 45 days. Does anyone know if there is a definite connection between Hashi and Laryngitis? On my 45 day stretch I even saw an ENT and stumped him because my vocal chords did not look like usual laryngitis afftected chords.

June 6, 2011 at 11:40 pm
(19) Leigh says:

I used to get laryngitis constantly thru my life, then when I got put on levothyroxine it got better. Since having a fna about one month ago I have raspy voice after talking for a while.

July 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm
(20) Lynn P. says:

Thank you so much for this information. I was diagnosed with Hashi/Hypo 3 yrs ago and now I’m convinced I need more follow up re the cancer subject. The problem is, that I have the thickening on one side near my thyroid which affects my swallowing, too. I didn’t think I needed to do anything about it. Now I am alarmed at the possibility of getting cancer.

August 2, 2008 at 9:58 pm
(21) Shawn says:

I’ve had hashi since I was 10 and I’ve been fighting an increasing sickness in the last few years. All my doctors say just live with it. Now that I’m reading this I’m a lot alarmed and think I’m getting a new doctor on Monday.

November 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(22) Josh says:

Hey, that is awful that your doctor says its just live with it! I have been sick a lot as well and this is the first time where I feel like its not my fault or something I made up. Thyroid Cancer or these issues may be the link to the illness problems and having my whole life. I was lucky one of my relatives was a doctor and he referred me to a good neurologists which set everything in motion.

August 5, 2008 at 5:34 pm
(23) Lisa says:

I have a multinodular goiter (no cancer) that is pressing on my windpipe. My doctors tell me that my thyroid is functioning normally, except a little enlarged. As for the nodules they all say thyroidectomy is the only answer. My mother had a goiter when I was a kid, and her doctor used suppressive therapy on hers and it worked like a charm. Her goiter shrank so quickly she had loose skin on her neck. I’m now told suppressive therapy is outdated. Has anyone had their nodules successfully treated without surgery?

January 26, 2009 at 12:30 pm
(24) Laurie Enenaya says:

I had hasi for over fifteen years c/o diff. with swallowing and pain for about 3 yrs. they kept increasing my synthroid. Finally I demanded for it to be removed . Although they said it could never be cancer. i finally had the surgery and can you believe there was cancer and 3 diffent types with margins involved. I am one year past had paralyzied vocal cords bilat and hypoparathroidism. I did the RAI and had bad effects from it. So I do say now can hashi be canerous?

February 3, 2009 at 6:13 pm
(25) Diane says:

Wow, this cancer connection is news to me. I thought only very old people in their 90′s got a squamous cell cancer from having Hashimoto’s for decades. Mine appeared about 10 years ago. My thyroid swelled big time after the first FNA and never went down. Have one nodule that grew a tiny bit over the years, and a new doctor thought it should be biopsied even tho it looked benign. My insurance denied the procedure. I didn’t think much about that until NOW. The side without the nodule actually looks bigger and harder. Why do they only want to biopsy the nodes?? I do know a swollen thyroid can damage the vocal chords so it makes sense that some people are having loss-of-voice problems now.

March 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm
(26) Monica says:

I have Hashimotos and this only confirms my decision to have my thyroid removed. It is covered in nodules and the biopsies are AWFUL!
my Endro says it will not take the Hashimotos away because it is made in the bone morrow; but at least I won’t have to worry about cancer, unless I already have it and don’t know it.

March 30, 2009 at 10:04 am
(27) Leah says:

im 21 years old and i have had a lump in my throat (like an adams apple) since i was 13 years old, only then it wasnt noticeable. during and after the birth of my daughter the lump ballooned so i was referered to hospital where i have had 3 FNAs and 2 have come back one has come back benine the other came back as “cells of an unknown nature”. i am still waiting for the result of the third. the consultant has recommended surgery anyway where he said he will remove the nodules ( there are 2) and also half of my thyroid gland. i am incredibly anxious as i have never had an operation before can anyone help me if they have had this surgery? iv heard so many horror stories of people not waking up after anesthetic.

June 17, 2009 at 1:55 pm
(28) jill says:

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Hashi’s and papillary carcinoma. At the time they only removed half of the thyroid. I’m on replacement but still have nodules in my right side. Should I insist on taking the other side out? I can honestly say I’ve never felt the same since this started and I still have symptoms of Hashi’s. Anyone have any advise… Just want to feel normal again!

August 20, 2009 at 11:12 am
(29) Veronica says:

My doctor has suggested to do an ultra sound because I had blood work done and have signs of Hashimoto. I have been reading everyone’s comments that had the thyroid removed and found cancer. Do you think if my results still show Hashimoto my doctor will allow me to just remove my Thyroid.

October 7, 2009 at 8:56 pm
(30) antoinette says:

I was diagnosed with hashi. I have swallowing difficulty but no swelling i hve lesions on the thyroid. My concern is I,m having extreme pain which non of the Dr’s r concerned about.

November 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm
(31) MarieO says:

I have had Hashi’s since 1990 with the usual problems: fatigue, weight gain, depression. I have had adjustments to my meds every so often. In July my TSH was checked as part of my blood testing…it came back really high. My meds were adjusted and then the TSH was really low…then it got lower. Internist sent me to Endo. Endo did ultrascan and found a nodule on the left lobe. Off for a FNA…and it came back “suspicious” and I was diagnosed with “follicular neoplasm”. There were no malignant cells, just unusual cells. However, my 2nd opionion surgeon said that it is “normal” for people with Hashi’s to have these unusual cells. The answer, of course is surgery. This coming Monday I go in for partial thyroidectomy…of course it depends on what is found. Somehow I just know it is Papilliary Cancer…you know how you just have a feeling. I am starting to panic now, I am really scared. I never knew this could happen with Hashi’s.

April 24, 2010 at 7:38 pm
(32) Nena says:

The more I read about Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and thyroid cancer, the more I believe there is a link between the two. I was sent for an ultrasound in January of 2010 because of enlarged thyroid even though my thyroid function was normal. The ultrasound showed multinodular thyroid. One of the nodules was almost 3cm, so I was sent for FNA. FNA suggested Hahimoto’s but the blood tests to measure antibodies did not confirm the disease. So, my doctor suggested I have a surgery and take a half of my thyroid out. During the surgery frozen section was done, and it confirmed Hashimoto’s. It was then sent for a detailed pathology that came back a week later with a diagnosis of papilary carcinoma. The large nodule that was the reason for the surgery was Hashimoto’s, but there was a small one that was cancerous. Now I am waiting for another surgery to take the other half of the thyroid out and then go for radioactive iodine treatment. What a journey! What I am trying to say is that my cancer was found by accident, and even though I went through a whole series of tests before the surgery none indicated cancer. It took a detailed pathology to find cancer. And, I was told that my chances of having both Hashimoto’s and cancer were next to 0.

April 25, 2010 at 11:28 pm
(33) Eric says:

Wow. After reading your comments, I am scared. My girlfriend has Hashimoto’s. I dont want her to get any cancer with it! She is still young!

June 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm
(34) Stefanie says:

I’m so scared, even more scared now that I stumbled upon this site. I am having surgery on July 13th for a partial thyroidectomy of the right lobe. There is a nodule that is almost 4cm large on the right, a medium sized one in the middle and a small one on the right. I have Hashimoto’s and I had a FNA and came back benign. Now I feel almost convinced that it is going to be cancer. I wish I could stop looking things up online and just wait for the surgery but I feel so powerless and feel like I need to find a reason why this is happening. So far I don’t think I’ve read anything of someone having the partial and finding out that they DON’T have cancer. I can’t stop my brain from spinning.

October 27, 2011 at 12:27 am
(35) AJA says:

Hi Stefanie,
Iam the same as you, I have had probs withthe thyroid for a while now. Its been up and down, T4 high once, with low TSH, the normal again. Last blood test showed high thryroid peroxidase antibodies, not very high though, range over here should be less than 60, mine was like 88. Anyway pathologist suggested indicative of hashis or graves disease. I had ultrasound las monday, and they found a nodule smaller than 1 cm in the right lobe. I have had a little disconfort on that side of my neck and a dull pain, it hurts to touch also…Dnt know if it is because now tyhat i know its there im connstatly feeling for it. I have been looking up the websites just like you, and it is also driving me insane.

After my ultrasound the recommendation was to do nuclear scan to exclude a toxic nodule. My nodule is small, margins are even, not “ill” or “irregular” as some of the cancers are said to be. Im a 35 year old male, and even if they say that thyroid cancer in men in this age bracket is very rare, I am scared that it is cancer though!!

I was meant to have my nuclear scan yesterday, but the receptionist booked it as a normal ultrasound and of course when i got there, they told me they coudnt do it till tomorrow which is friday! So now because of this mistake, i have to wait an extra 2 days to get the scan,, then because its friday, i will have to wait an additional 2 days overthe weekend because they dont work weeknds!!!My brain is spinning out of control now.

June 28, 2010 at 3:52 am
(36) Kelly says:

I had a nodule found by my doctor, which had an inconclusive FNA. I had a hemithyroidectomy and it came back as Follicular Carcinoma. I just recently had the right side removed as well which found a Hurthle Cell adenoma which had grown 4mm in 6 months. The weird thing about this is that on my last surgery they found chronic inflammatory changes and now believe I have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. So I guess I’m the rarity that was diagnosed with cancer, and a later possible diagnosis of Hashimoto’s.

July 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm
(37) Barb Blakey says:

I just saw a ENT surgeon today. I felt this thickness in my throat last year, with a cough. My GP gave me a puffer. I wanted something done so I had an ultra sound, which showed enlarged nodules. I visited an endocrinologist twice, he recommended a FNA, 3 samples were taken. Result, unusual fast growing cells.

The ENT surgeon wants to take out the left half of the thyroid and the lymph to be tested. This will give me peace of mind, rather than not know or worry for the rest of my days. I am a teacher, 55 yrs. and think positive, until I have reason not to.

November 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm
(38) Esra Unsal says:

Last week I found out that I have Hashi and 6 nodules in the right gland. I had ultra sound plus thyroid synthigraphy and one nodule turned out to be hypoactive which means it is more likely to grow cancer cells in hypo nodules :( But my endo did not seem concerned and gave me selenium pills, said he will check the nodules 6 months later with USG and sent me home. No FNA or whatsoever. Should I change my endo???!!

December 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm
(39) Dawn says:

I want to thank this site.

In October I learned after many (years) ‘normal’ thryoid tests, that I had Hashimoto disease. Even though my levels were fine, my body was fighting off my thyroid.

I also had a small nodule on my left side.
First biposy came back ‘suspious’, second came back benign! My doctor said he wanted to take half out and test it.
I said , doc, but why? He explained that the FNA only gets a very small amount of cells, and that will my family history, and my symtoms..and the first biopsy…this was the only way to tell.

I went in for surgery 12/9/10, and learned 12/15/10 that I have papillary caricoma. I am scheduled to go back and have the other half removed in about a month or so.

Listen to you body not statistics.

Thank you to my doctor in NYC and thank you to this site!!

December 30, 2010 at 4:53 am
(40) sally dean says:

Had total thyroidectomy because of multinodular thyroid. Came back as Hasimoto’s and papillary cancer. My TSH levels were normal for years and so my normal doctor missed it. I changed drs because of worsening symptoms and luckily she listened to me and it was discovered. Now have to do radio iodine etc. Listen to your body. Don’t let a doctor tell you it is Fibromyalgia or anxiety or menopause. You should double check.

March 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm
(41) Lynn says:

Great site. I have an appointment tomorrow to find out what the latest sonogram said. I have Hashimoto but have not started medicine yet since they don’t know what to do about the nodule they found yet. I’m a bit scared about what they are going to do or not do.

March 17, 2011 at 11:43 am
(42) Rachel says:

I have had Hashi’s for 11 years and had a biopsy 10 years ago that was negative, went back because of this website and one of the lobes has cells that are inconclusive – 90% chance benign 10% chance cancer. I am being sent to a surgeon to have the right lobe out. For those of you who have been through the surgery, how bad is the recovery? We were planning on starting a family this year and now that’s on hold.

March 20, 2011 at 7:58 pm
(43) Dawn says:

Rachael, you will be ok after day 5. Imagine a very soar throat, hard to talk or swallow. If lymph nodes taken out, you will be in bed most if not all of the first 3 days- unable to move your neck much or pick up your head. I don’t have much ab muscles…so to get up, I had to basically pull myself up from my hair, or have my kids or husband help me up. After 2 weeks it’s like a distant memory. Good luck :)

March 27, 2011 at 12:18 am
(44) S says:

I was just Diagnosed with early stages of Hashimoto’s. After reading all your post I am scared. My Endo said that we just hav to keep an eye on i because it’s in it’s really early stages. I do have 1 nodule but it is too small for a biopsy. I go for blood work next week. Should I consult an ENT?

October 27, 2011 at 12:32 am
(45) aja says:

How small is too small for a biopsy?

April 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm
(46) LS says:

I am a healthy 36 yr old female and I have just been diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis, as of last Friday. I am reading as much as I can, before I see my PCP so, I can ask the right questions. Should I request a FNA, all this is very scary to me. I know things could be worse, but I have always taken some sort of pride in saying, “I am healthy and I am not on any meds”, sigh…. any advice??
Thank you!

April 12, 2011 at 11:35 pm
(47) deb says:

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in april 2008. Multiple nodules, with a FNA of the largest nodule. Have been on synthroid ever since to help shrink the goiter that has developed. (Only medication I take) Recently went to the University of Michigan for a second opinion as I felt my endo was just brushing me off. Have had increased difficulty in swallowing and choking. At times just choke on my saliva. Nervous about surgery, but have it scheduled for May 16th. The deciding factor, hearing the susrgeon inform me that risk are high for cancer in hashimotos and nodules.

April 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm
(48) Tera says:

LOL, u of m blew me off told last summer said yep you have hashimoto’s but thats not your problem. She didn’t even really check me out. Ended up @ st. joes for second opinion. Glad i did. Have a goiter right & left side with multiple nodules. even on the they thyroid pills being with normal tsh limits. in 4 mths Goiters & nodules still growing. Having the FNA done on the 17th of may. I dont’ have the best of feelings about. Hope and pray I am wrong. But, i have never been wrong before when listining to me body. Funny things I am being checked every so often because my doctors call me a 5%er. Thats why i had another ultrasound after only 4 mths. 5 % chance of me having cancer worry’s me. LOL, maybe this trial is a good thing for me uping it to 35% and all. Sick twisted way of looking at it I know.

Deb i hope all goes well with you. Keep me posted.

Tera

June 6, 2011 at 11:58 pm
(49) Leigh says:

Had fna for enlarged right side of thyroid, results came back suspicious cells. Went to surgeon whose pathologists reviewed findings and did not agree with the first pathologists. Going for 2nd fna for the deciding factor within 2 weeks, surgeon said if its not 100 percent benign then total thyroidectomy. If its benign then I am hoping I have made the right decision and we will closely watch it – any changes, etc. So this will be my 2nd opinion with new slides to read. Got my blood drawn for levels – I hope they can give me a little more levothyroxine as I am tired all the time and either depressed or out of energy..not sure which I am. I know I want to do more, but usually go back to sleep, which was not me 5 years ago, I hate this sooo much. Sorry for venting I know this is actually the best thing you can have (as in curable) out of all the worst diseases out there. And also I will be so scared if I need the surgery. Ok I said it.

August 11, 2011 at 1:49 am
(50) Twee says:

Hashi is not curable. And it isn’t a no big deal disease. I’ve been struggling with this disease since I was a child & it has ruined my life.

November 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm
(51) It's me says:

I went to the doctor a few months ago because of some unrelated issues. He felt my neck and felt something funny. Sent me for blood work and untrasound. Blood work came back fine. Ultrasound showed nodual less than 1cc. Just to be safe sent me for FNA. Turns out I had both Hashimotos and papillary cancer. Went for surgery, had total thyroid removed along with some compartment lynph nodes (surgery was a piece of cake for those wondering, i was up and about in a couple of days). I had some spread to the lymph nodes removed so they are recommending radioactive iodine treatment. I go for that in a month. Just wondering, does anyone know if you are completely cancer free when you have both Hashimotos and cancer? since the hashimotoes screws with your blood work? my TA was teated a few weeks ago and was in the 60′s

May 23, 2012 at 7:03 pm
(52) Faye says:

Mine started with my first pregnancy, I only gained 10 pounds with the first two pregnancies and 15 with the third and 35 with the fourth. Basically I was hyper-thyroid until I had my 4th and last child when I sung to hypo-thyroid. During these years my doctors all called me a whiney women. One doctor finally did a blood test and when he got it back, he said no ones thyroid could produce these results, of which he said the lab must of had problems and that I should not worry about it. Finally I found a doctor (GP) in 1999 that would finally talk to me like I was a real person and listened to all the research I had done and took into consideration my family history, referred me to an Endocrinologist who diagnosed my with Hashimoto’s gave me synthroid and told me I was a whiney woman after that. My (GP) after that started trying to get my thyroid regulated but we had little success. He send me for an ultrsound that came back with the diagnosis of a multi-nodule goiter. When the number of nodules started to increase, and my antibodies hit the 1200′s, I insisted on having my thyroid removed. I did some research and found a good ENT surgeon that had an excellent track record especially with not damaging the vocal box. After his first exam he said he didn’t want to remove the thyroid, because of the possibilities of damage to the parathyroid glands, that calcium deficiency if I lost the parathyroid glands would be worse than the thyroid problem. I insisted! After surgery the biopsy said the thyroid highly diseased, strange color and consistency. The thyroid consumed one of the (4) parathyroid glands and a second was highly damaged and the doctor said he spared it but didn’t think the gland would survive. There were also a large number of Hurthle cell neoplasms and a couple of Hurthle cell adenomas. I asked the surgeon what Hurthle cells were, and all he said was, they are cells that would eventually turn to cancer. I am glad I didn’t listen to the doctor!

September 29, 2012 at 11:40 pm
(53) VICTORIA says:

I’ve been having symptoms of hypo/hashi all my life. I was diagnosed with hypo during an unrelated health problem where I had severe, unimaginable headache. My doc got me haemoglobin and TSH test done and found out that I was hypo. i did fna but result came out normal..doc didn’t want to increase my med and said it was nothing and it’d shrink in no time..it didn’t..it keeps on growing albeit slowly..i really didn’t feel any better in the coming months so I took twice the dose without asking the doc..it helped..almost a year later i increased it again and now at 75 mcg which keeps my symptoms under control for the most part..but i’m more concern with the goiter as it doesn’t seem to stop growing eventhough my TSH is in the normal range around 1.25.
I’m not married but I want to someday and have kids of my own.
It seems like that dream is not gonna come true.
Now i feel like I can’t get married and have kids as I don’t want to burden anyone with my thyroid prob and don’t want to have kids born with challenges.
Are there enough research in finding a cure for thyroid problems other than taking the conventional meds or completely removing it??
I feel like it is a curse only worse.
Could anyone please tell me the chances of me having a healthy child if my thyoid is removed??

October 25, 2012 at 12:30 am
(54) Valeria says:

I was diagosed with Hoshimotos in 2000. I went into to ER last Sunday, I felt like I might be having a heart attck. My heart was fine, she said I could have inflamation in bronchial tubes. They prescribed me prednasone and i feel a little better but my neck hurts and swallowing hurts too. When I move my thyroid area it actually makes a crunchy sound. I am going to make a dr appt., what kind of questions should I ask?

March 27, 2013 at 2:04 pm
(55) laura m says:

I presented with a goiter thyroid, couldn’t swallow or breath. After all the exams I was simply told I had an enlarged thyroid. I was referred to a surgeon who then performed surgery very soon after. The surgery took almost 4 hrs, turned out I had Hashimotos and I had cancer. I had thyroid and two para-thyroids removed. They did now know either one until after I had surgery. Then, I was also part of the low percentage of people who had a calcium/mag/potassium problem after surgery. Ended up in the hospital for days at a time for the next year. Still have trouble keeping calcium level good and now my thyroid is growing back. So, back to the drawing board. We are looking at a nother surgery and possibly iodine after just to make sure it’s gone. (the last time my uptake test showed no uptake)

September 5, 2013 at 4:53 am
(56) Karen says:

I have been treated for Hashimotos since January this year. In March I had an ultrasound that showed a multinodular goiter, and given my history of breast cancer I had a biopsy of the three largest nodules. Results were benign. I sought advice from three highly regarded Sydney specialists, who all agreed that the best approach was to wait and see, with biannual biopsy. I understand and appreciate conservative surgery but I decided to go ahead and, against all medical advice, had a total thyroidectomy recently. The resulting pathology showed papillary carcinoma in both lobes. I am so lucky that I asked to have my thyroid removed, easily and without need for follow up since the cancers were wholly confined to the thyroid at that stage and had not spread. My advice, go with your gut feeling, from what I have read there is a link, albeit convoluted, between hormonal cancers such as breast and thyroid, and Hashimotos increases risk of thyroid cancer threefold according to reports available online.

September 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm
(57) Nikki says:

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto’s, I had the FNA done and the only concern was cancer. The ENT that did the FNA told me not 10 min before the procedure that he was sure I did not have Hashi’s along with an Endocrine doc that told me I was fine even with the TPO of 220 and a second one a month later of 515. Needless to say the same ENT came back 10 min later to confirm Hashi’s. I however have most symptoms of Hashi’s yet I have lost a lot of weight. I have both symptoms of hypo and hyper thyroidism which everyone ignores. I am now experiencing digestion problems. I saw a second Endocrine doc and she stated there is nothing to treat, that eventually my thyroid will burn out and then I will have hypothyroidism and that I should have the nodule looked at in 2 yrs to see if it is any bigger. I am so frustrated!!!

October 13, 2013 at 10:15 am
(58) rachel says:

hi I’ve suffered thyroid my whole life had evrey single symptom possible ive always had enlarged gland,and ive been over and under and the past 10 months have been awful to say the least I’ve just found out I have hasimotos ive also found im polysistic, having gone insane, mood swings are awful along with brain fog pains in my body,chest constant water infections but just lately ive been experiencing extreme pains in my neck after a 10 month battle with the dr im finally getting seen by a specailst I’ve been refused a scan coz I had 19 years ago.is anyone else finding it hard to live with this its ruined my whole life doctors just think ya insane or making it up

November 27, 2013 at 12:13 am
(59) janice says:

I was diagnosed with Hashi’s a year ago based on an ultrasound showing an enlarged multinodular goiter and TPO test of 377. My TSH was below .3 so it was probably not even reliable as a reading. My endo at the time did 12 FNA’s, all of which were benign, and decided to watch and wait, with no treatment, even though I felt miserable.

I fired him and went to a holistic doc who put me on a low dose of T3. A year later, (last month), I had another ultrasound done. Now I have 2 large nodules and many small ones and my thyroid has grown larger. My largest nodules are 1.8 and 2 cm which are quite a bit larger than a year ago. The doc wants me to see a radiologist specialist to compare the ultrasounds. They have already been read by radiologists! After reading the above posts, I think I need a pro-active doc to remove my thyroid. These nodules grew way too fast. I’m more exhausted than ever and I can barely go to work each day. The odds would seem that it’s not cancer but from what I’m reading here, that may not be the case!

December 7, 2013 at 12:07 am
(60) Michele says:

To those of you who had Hashimotos during your pregnancy, were you able to breastfeed? Meaning, did you have milk? I entered my pregnancy with what I believed was a normal thyroid. I had my baby c-section, 2 weeks overdue. NO MILK WHATSOEVER. My gyno/obstetrician literally said “there’s worse things than giving your baby formula” as I’m sitting on the exam table, completely wiped out with a screaming, hungry baby, crying my eyes out.

I tried everything, and would have drank cat pee if you told me it’d bring my milk in. I hired a lactation consultant, who suggested testing my thyroid. Sure enough, Hashi’s.

That was 10 years ago. I’ve been on Synthroid 137 ever since. BUT because of my depression and lack of energy/concentration, I’m also on Ritalin (for ADHD) and Effexor (for depression/anxiety). I feel like a pill-popping mess of a mother and wife. But I digress a little.

CUT TO TODAY’S BIG PROBLEM: I now have a really large thyroid that is making me feel like I’m being choked. Like the neck on my sweater or my necklace is too tight. I woke up last night choking on my own saliva! And my voice is getting hoarser and I’m coughing a little.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I’d love to know.

I had a blood test yesterday (no results yet) and I’m having an ulrasound in 3 days. I hate to sound alarmist, but it seems to me that everyone on this site with Hashi’s, who dared to get tested for cancer, ALSO had cancer! The statistics on this site alone are astounding!

January 24, 2014 at 8:05 pm
(61) Jo says:

Wow, this is a helpful site. I always have found anecdotal stories from actual patients the most helpful. Based on what everyone is saying, I am more inclined to have this hashi thyroid removed. It is ruining my youth. I do want to hear from anyone whether you actually lose the terrible hyper/ hypo symptoms for those of you who finall had it out. Some say that the antibodies will choose something else to attack if the hashi thyroid is removed. Any thoughts? Has anyone had complete recovery on synthetic hormone after surgery? Has anyone found that they are still very ill?

Thanks so much.