1. Health

Mary Shomon

Oprah Winfrey's 21 Day Cleanse Diet: Will It Help Her Shed Her Thyroid-Related Weight?

By May 22, 2008

Talk show diva and hypothyroidism sufferer Oprah Winfrey has embarked on a new "21 Day Cleanse Diet" that she is touting on her show, and at the show's website. Oprah has been struggling with added weight gain since her 2007 diagnosis with hypothyroidism.

Winfrey claims that during the 21-day program, she will not eat any meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, animal products, caffeine, sugar, gluten and alcohol.

Hopefully this will be a good thing for Oprah, but one thing that concerns me is that the diet relies quite a bit on soy for protein. Menu plans up at the Oprah site include tofu, tempeh, Gardenburger soy sausage, soy milk, soy yogurt, and soy products are on the menu nearly every day, sometimes more than once.

Oprah has access to the best doctors, chefs, and medical advice in the world, and yet, in the year since her diagnosis, she appears to have gained -- rather than lost -- weight. Could that be due to the fact that she says she doesn't need medical treatment for her hypothyroidism? Instead, she said that she has loaded up on soy milk, and relied on vacations, relaxation, and empowering herself to speak openly as "treatments" for her underactive thyroid gland?

Maybe this 21 Day Cleanse Diet will be a good thing for Oprah. Or maybe, by loading up on more soy products, she's just making her thyroid problem worse. Time will tell.

MORE INFORMATION

Photo: David McNew / Getty Images News
Comments
May 23, 2008 at 5:36 am
(1) Donna D. says:

I hadn’t realized Oprah says she doesn’t need treatment for her hypothyroidism. Apparently she does, since she has GAINED weight since her diagnosis. Maybe it’s time for some Synthroid or Armour Thyroid for Oprah?

May 23, 2008 at 5:56 am
(2) Kin says:

All that soy isn’t good…what is she thinking? Maybe it will help her lose weight in 21 days, but what happens AFTER 21 days? Staying on soy products for 3 weeks may not be so bad, but any longer than that is bound to affect her thyroid. I wrote to her at her website a few months ago about the dangers of soy for thyroid patients. I guess she doesn’t read her email, but someone should have made her aware of the soy issue. Heck, it’s all over the Internet! Oprah, you really need to have Mary Shomon on your program. sheeesh…you’re giving thyroid patients some pretty bogus information!

May 23, 2008 at 8:02 am
(3) Melissa says:

Oprah is going to the same doctor that I have been seeing for some time now, he would never tell her to fabricate this sort of diet! Dr. Arem does want you to be on a low Glycemic Index diet, similar to the South Beach, but would never tell any thyroid patient that this is suitable for thyroid disease. For some reason, the planet veiws Oprah as some sore of “god”(little g) and if she says it then it must be done.
I myself feel that she does need to be truthful and state that she is seeking treatment and that she is having a hard time dealing with hypothyroidism like the rest of us who suffer with it.

May 23, 2008 at 8:06 am
(4) PL says:

Thank Goodness for Mary Shomon!

And I am just livid about Oprah’s behavior.
She, of all people, who have the money, the healthy resouces, regarding bright doctors, foods, etc… is ruining her life, her thyroid. And setting a horrid example!

I was diagonsed with Hashiomoto’s Thryoditis and Hyothryoidism in 2000. I was 50 pounds overweight. I am now 20 pounds overweight and I am 52 yrs. old. I know in my heart, I have had this diesase for a LONG time, but I was blessed to have found a great doctor. And one of the best and brightest things he told me was to STAY AWAY FROM SOY PRODUCTS…All SOY PRODUCTS! And I have. This diesase runs in my family, from cancer to having one side of her thyroid removed. It is a serious illness!

How dare this ‘Guru’ Doctor of Oprah’s say this is our fault? She should have her license taken away from her. I have been on Synthroid since 2000 and I see a Endocrinolgost…I have my ups and downs but I have other medical problems.

Oprah…Do you realise what you are doing? And with your MAD DOCTOR? We are NOT back in the 17th century…Your Doctor needs her head examined! BTW, you do also!

You have the money and the rescources to get good, practical and healthy sound help and advice and here you are advocating UNHEALTHY procedures for people like us who have a serious diesase…HOW DARE YOU!

I pray YOU do not get sicker….
And I hope in time you will wake up and smell the roses! Get it together gurlie…You have probably had this diesase for your entire adult life and NOW are using this as an excuse for your wieght gain. You are sending people the WRONG MESSAGE, you and that sham doctor of yours. SHAME ON YOU! For all of us, who have been struggling with this, YOU HAVE SET US BACK DECADES of empowerment! I and millions of other women are NOT going to let you!

Mary Shomon, thank you for being who you are.
You are a live guardian angel.
Keep doing what you are doing. Please! God Bless you! :-)

May 23, 2008 at 8:11 am
(5) lisa says:

It appears that Oprah is following the path of yoga, which can include giving up meat, and exploring the major chakras. A dysfunction in the throat chakra can cause thyroiditis. A challenge of the throat chakra is to express ourselves thruthfully and be open to the truth. Oprah’s decision to speak openly is one spproach to healing Chakra 5.

I went the alternative route for years before finally going on Armour, so I understand the desire to try to do it without medical treatment. But I too have some concerns about the soy.

May 23, 2008 at 8:17 am
(6) PL says:

Please excuse my horrid spelling…I just re-read this and I was too angry to type….I should know better!

:-)

May 23, 2008 at 8:24 am
(7) PL says:

Please pardon my poor spelling…I shouldn’t type when I am angry. And I was too angry regarding Oprah and her doctor.

There are so many Doctor’s out there that are giving us the incorrect information regarding our health!

Please, everyone, read Mary Shomon’s articles, get the straight and factual truth and help! TY! :-)

May 23, 2008 at 8:25 am
(8) Margret Solak says:

I agree that Oprah should eliminate or at least drastically reduce her soy intake. It’s a pity that people don’t realize that soy is NOT necessary on a vegan diet. You can get an adequate amount of protein from other plants. You can eat a healthy vegan diet and lose weight even with hypothyroidism (I’m living proof of that). Check the internet for John McDougall’s website; he’ll show you how. So many people do not realize that high fat/high cholesterol animal diets which are pumped full of hormones and antibiotics are NOT good for them. I say to Oprah—good for you; just watch the soy!

May 23, 2008 at 8:30 am
(9) PL says:

Lisa,

I am not trying to show any dis-respect to your comment. I am happy that you are on Armour though. I am not a pill-pushing advocate. But we are NOT back in the 60′s. Yes, I believe in some good healthy alternatives, holistic medicines. But please, send the right message. Oprah’s ‘charka’ # 5 has nothing to do with her THRYOID. TYVVM! I understand about not wanting to do it without medicine either. I also think there are too many “Pills” and doctors give too many Scripts just to shut us up… but there are great meds out there also.

Remember when they discovered Penicillian?
Would you not take it if you needed it?

Now you’ll tell me your allergic to it, yes?

I think you’ll get the gist of my words.

Again, exucuse my spelling…:-)TY.

May 23, 2008 at 8:40 am
(10) PL says:

Everyone needs to have a healthy diet. I eat very healthy, but I do have my moments LoL :-)

But to ignore the advances the we have now and resort back to ‘guru’ doctor’s is adominable.

I am tired of people like Oprah, who think they are doing good work. When it is all about ‘them’. She is not a God. Yes, she has done ‘some’ helpful work in her lifetime.

It is now time to get HONEST within herself. NO more excuses! I have seen her get humble and apologize for her actions from advocating books etc…

It’s her time to do this now.

And she know’s better. Get your facts straight first. And like me Oprah, watch what you eat.
:-)

May 23, 2008 at 8:47 am
(11) PJ Morris says:

Years ago I was certified in a cutting-edge method of identifying body types created by a Dr. Elliot Abravenal. Ironically he had interviewed with Oprah when his first book, New York Times bestseller, Body Type Diet and Lifetime Nutrition Plan,came out and Oprah was first starting out in Chicago. Our teaching example of a Adrenal type was none other than Oprah Winfrey. She carries her weight on top and around the middle. Oprah is not a thyroid type,(weight below the bellybutton and on thighs, with thinner face, arms), and has most likely, through her diet, exhausted her adrenal glands and then relied too much on her thyroid to give her energy and wore it out too. An “almost vegetarian” approach is just what this dr. ordered for her! I say she will lose the weight if she cuts the fat, cheese, and salt that she craves.

May 23, 2008 at 9:16 am
(12) PL says:

PJ Morris….
Hmmm…Your comments are very interesting. TY.
Unfortunatley, that is my body type and many others who suffer from Hypothyroidism.

My husband told me, that he doesn’t even think Oprah has a Thryoid problem. Maybe a slight high number, very borderline. Weight gain can be an excuse for this disease, but I do know of the struggles I have had with my weight. I saw Oprah at her best as did millions of us. Is this an excuse? I do believe that Hypothyroidism can put on “some” weight, but to that high degree? I don’t think so. But I could be wrong. My doctor told me from 5 to 15 pounds. (I am currently 20 pds overweight. And thats still too much for me. I am phyiscally, unable to do a strong excercise program…Yoga is good.) It’s been a battle and when I see Doctor’s like the one she is advocating, it makes me ill inside.

This subject is so contrversial. I don’t want people using ‘excuses for their unhealthy behavior. I don’t think Oprah is being honest within herself. And is using this Guru doctor as an excuse. And it sends horrible messages for people who suffer from Thyroid problems. Yes, she needs to be reffered to other experts that truly specialize in this field.

When everyone goes to see their doctor for their annual check-up. A Thyroid Test, TSH, including your T3-T4 should automatcally be given/done as you have blood work done to check your Cholesterol, etc….It shouldn’t have to be a request ….

It’s very confusing. You can be borderline and still have the symptoms. Or your bloodwork can show up negative, thats why I think your comment about our adrenal is very good. TY.

May 23, 2008 at 9:55 am
(13) Heather says:

I think that Oprah, although well intentioned, needs to go to a doctor and get some medication. I know that I have seen horrible doctors and they have not been able to answer simple questions for me. I have learned so much on my own through Mary’s books and web sites. I have suffered 3 miscarriages and I know it was a lot part of my thyroid problem and it not being under control before I got pregnant. No doctor has been straight with me and I have had to be my own advocate and research and study up on my own. You would think that doctors would be educated and be able to tell there patients the correct information so that we can lead a healthy life. By taking medications, stress management, reading Mary’s thyroid diet book, and weight watchers. I am now at a healthy weight. I have lost almost 30 pds since January. I am ready to try for a baby again. Now that I have a ton of information that I will bring with me to a good doctor.

Also a side note I didn’t realize that thyroid patients had a body type. I carry my weight below my belly button in hips and thighs and have a thin face and arms. I just thought it was genetic and blamed my mom for heavy thighs. :)

May 23, 2008 at 10:03 am
(14) Bill Bassett says:

A recent study by the Cancer Research Institute of New South Wales, April 2008 concludes the increase in thyroid cancer is a diet low iniodine and high in soy based products. Low iodine diets are a result of using sea salt for food and most all canned foods are prepared with non iodized salt.??
Soy products are in serious question and some literature indicates lab studies on rodents suspressed the activity of their thyroid. Several references are on the internet. Cattle I believe are fed soy product in feed to produce hypothyroid conditions and they get fat on less feed. Cost savings. What do you think? Fat from these animals may reproduce the hypothyroid condition in humans when comsuming the meat.

May 23, 2008 at 10:29 am
(15) Cheri says:

Some of the things in the diet are good like removing sugar, alcohol, gluten, eggs, caffeine etc. Eliminating them will help her adrenal glands as well as her thyroid, which work hand in hand. Some thyroid patients do not need meds but DO need iodine supplementation with the amino acid Tyrosine. That is what the T3 and T4 is in Armour and the synthetics is, Tyrosine and iodine molecules. So, in milder cases she could supplement and get better. She has a good, thick head of hair so I am thinking her thyroid case is not as severe as a lot of ours but one never knows.

Iodine works wonders for my very complicated case where Armour and Cytomel did not help at all. I was at as high as 150 mcg of Cytomel and got no effect one way or another and Armour just gave me Reverse T3 issues. It really all depends on each individual case, what is going on in the cellular level and what mechanisms are hinder and what nutrients and essentials are missing. In my case, iodine is a huge factor and even adding pure kelp (non-toxic kind) helps. I have mercury poisoning which lead to the thyroid disease and shot adrenals so detoxing is a huge issue for me ongoing.

I think detoxing in general both with diet and supplementation is a good idea. It is the only thing that helps me lose weight, and it also improves my adrenal glands and thyroid. My theory is the cells get filled up with toxins which leads to most thyroid and adrenal problems to begin with, and when you take your medication, if it can’t get into the cells but just circulates in the bloodstream, you do not get better.

However, her “cleanse” diet which includes soy is not a cleanse at all but very toxic. Soy in the US is 90% GMO and they use toxic sludge in the crops. In fact, soy and cotton are the two most toxic crops, with corn coming in the top ten. Now, if she uses non-GMO organic soy, she still has the issue of what soy in general can do to the thyroid but since research hasn’t determined if organic soy has the same impact as the toxic GMO soy, we aren’t completely sure of soy’s effects since they don’t differentiate in their testing as far as the studies I have read. I gave up soy just to be safe. Peanuts I had to give up only in the past few years, even organic when I used to be able to eat them with no issues.

My guess is she will lose some weight initially, maybe even feel better but if she continues it longer term she will have more problems. Giving up the sugar and alcohol are the huge ones that she will see improvement with. If she has digestive issues, the gluten free diet works wonders. And of course giving up the caffeine will help her adrenals, which based on what I have read on her case, seems to be a larger factor in her thyroid disease than the thyroid itself. She has the classic symptoms of adrenal insufficiency.

May 23, 2008 at 10:42 am
(16) Cheri says:

I should have added that I predominately eat a vegetarian diet myself, but no soy. When I do eat occasional meat it is all organic, preferably grass fed chicken or buffalo. I can understand giving up meat because thyroid patients (and adrenal) tend to have digestive issues, but in my case I am supposed to be getting a lot more protein and animal protein is suggested. However, I have a very hard time digesting it even with enzyme supplementation and I don’t like the taste either. So I eat things like black beans, quinoa, organic brown rice products, etc. to get more protein and supplement with amino acids and proteins which so far is helping. Since my adrenal glands really need protein, this is always a struggle but I do believe giving up the soy (actually gave away thousands of dollars of new soy products I had purchased) was a good choice.

I like the fact that Mary Shomon is staying on this issue with Oprah. She may be well intended (Oprah) but she has been so far off base with so many things over the years, with no accountability to the damage her advice and example has done to her millions of viewers. Being overweight is the least of the issues with thyroid and adrenal disease, the damage to the organs and a person’s mental well being are far more traumatic. The weight is just an added stress, physically and emotionally.

May 23, 2008 at 10:57 am
(17) Cheri says:

Mary, I would also like to share this link with your readers since I saw that Heather posted about body type. I now know that I have had adrenal and thyroid issues since childhood and the thighs and face are where my weight would go. However, when my adrenals completely crashed, my tiny waist suddenly got huge and now this is the biggest battle for me weight wise, the Buddha belly.

Dr. Rind has a wonderful metabolic chart of symptoms that helps a patient determine if their specific symptoms are more thyroid related, adrenal related, or a mix of both. I highly recommend people check it out as it may enlighten them on more things to look at with their health. It helped me tremendously understanding which symptoms were related to what and treating accordingly. Like I was very surprised that my cold hands and feet are really more related to adrenals than thyroid and sure enough it turned out to be correct. Getting on cortisol raised my body temps and improved the coldness issue.

He has a lot of free information on his site and downloadable graphs and tools.

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm
(18) Allura says:

Women at risk for breast cancer need to be very careful about adding too much soy to their diets. Better to be overweight!

May 23, 2008 at 4:49 pm
(19) Denise R says:

I have been hypothyroid for 20 years but hadn’t found a dr to diagnose it despite symptoms & nodules as long as my TSH was under 5.5. Thought I’d find a solution by going to an alternative meds dr. All he did was send me to the dietition in his office who is vegan & told me the more soy I could get into me the better. The dr said food wasn’t his expertise–any Q’s I had was for the dietitian! I left there fast. This was 9 years ago. Sounds like this thinking is still out there. I am better educated than they are thanks to Mary & her website.

May 23, 2008 at 7:27 pm
(20) Z says:

I dont believe Oprah has a Thyroid problem. She just want to blame her weight on something. That’s probably why she’s not taking any medication. From what I’ve seen she’s always been “big boned”. Im sick of all the hype and glory that is Oprah. She gets way too much attention. To the ones that have been diagnosed with thyroid problems, I wish you all the best. My mother had her thyroids removed 2 yrs ago and we never even knew that they were a problem, but every since then, her levels have been all over the place. One moment they’re increasing her dosages…then they decrease. The last time she had her blood work done, her levels were still off and now its beginning to effect her. So to all of you, the best of luck. To Oprah, push back the plate.

May 24, 2008 at 2:34 am
(21) Judy K says:

I have had hypothyroidism since I was 17, now 62, and about twelve years ago, I ate a lot of tofu and soy protein and my TSH numbers were awful. My doctor then told me too much soy protein was very hard on your thyroid gland. Since then I am very careful not to eat too much soy protein. With the proper medication dose and a healthy diet in portion moderation, I don’t have a problem. I have to watch what I eat. If I eat too much and don’t exercise, I gain weight.

May 24, 2008 at 9:55 pm
(22) april says:

hello…..where is dr. oz in all this??? he seems to be attached to her hip at all times, you think he would give her a major heads up!

May 26, 2008 at 1:06 pm
(23) Pattic says:

The problem is Dr Oz likes soy. I do have one of his books and like some of his suggestions and it’s entertaining.

Maybe all the soy will make Oprah feel like HH and she’ll finally wake up to the fact soy isn’t good for some especially anyone with thyroid problems. I pray she does.

May 27, 2008 at 9:41 am
(24) PJ Morris says:

Dr. Abravenal’s theory is that there are four main body types…adrenal, thyroid, pituitary, and gonadal,(women only). He says that our weight and craving issues all stem from an inbalance in one of these glands and yes, you inherit your body type which explains the patterns we see so often in families. I am a thyroid type with a strong secondary adrenal.My mother is thyroid and my dad an adrenal. One sister is adrenal and one thyroid. I carry weight in my lower middle and thighs. I have slender arms and lower legs, and a smaller waistline and average hips, no saddlebags, a larger than average bust and wider shoulders like an adrenal type. Face, neck, hands and feet are slender.
Back to Oprah…her current weight issues really started a few years back when she went to trial with the meat industry in Texas. I read an interview where she stated she was stressed to the max and eating greasy food again. She started putting her weight on again and then she added insult to injury by starting to weight lift which is not the recommended exercise for an adrenal type…it stimulates the adrenals and causes the cravings for fat, salt, and alcohol. This gives them a sense of power that they crave. Thyroids on the other hand, crave sweet and caffeine because we eat for energy. Weight lifting is recommended for thyroids however as it grounds them. It will be interesting to see just how well Oprah does once she is “cleansed”. If she goes back to old habits she will put the weight back on but if she stays “clean”, avoids heavy weights, she can balance those adrenals and keep it off for life.

May 28, 2008 at 1:53 pm
(25) P Mezak says:

Wow, I went to Oprah’s message board and commented that I was worried about the soy in the cleanse diet for her. But I also have read Dr. Abravanel’s book. Interesting stuff PJ! I have had
thyroid problems stemming from an overactive nodule. I believe I am an adrenal type also. My mother has just found out that she is hyperthyroid,
at 76. She has been dealing with stress for a long, long time and I think her thyroid is trying to keep her going. I believe she is adrenal also. Very interesting. All in all, I hope that Oprah can eat well, and be aware of the danger of soy……
I personally lose if I eat more fish, light poultry and lots of veggies. Now wether I do that regularly is another question. Good discusion here!

May 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm
(26) Donna says:

She is a fool! Many years ago, before my thyroid problems, I tried going vegetarian and relying mostly on soy for protein and I’ve never felt more weak in my life! I developed an allergy to it and now I get hives from soy, but that’s beside the point.

I had half of my thyroid removed due to fast growing nodules, but I’ve required a low dose of T4 to balance out why my remaining half can’t handle.

I follow a balanced diet of a variety of protein sources, complex carbs and plenty of fruits and veggies. I keep my sugar intake low, I work out regularly and, frankly, I feel better than I have in a long time. As long as my T4 levels remain stable I don’t have any trouble keeping weight off.

I really think she’s doing her body a lot of harm by limiting her diet so much, but maybe she’s just going to have to go through that process herself to figure it out. It’s a shame, though. There are so many experience people she can learn from and she’s choosing to listen to people who have no idea what it feels like to live with this condition.

May 28, 2008 at 9:28 pm
(27) wrkn4mca says:

ROFLMFAO!!!!

May 28, 2008 at 11:14 pm
(28) Jacqueline says:

Wow, when my sister sent me the link to Oprah’s cleansing program, I had no idea about the reaction it would get. I find all your comments to be fascinating — especially the info about soy. I can’t wait to read Dr. Abravanel’s book. I am just at the beginning of trying to figure out what’s going on with my thyroid and endocrine system. Here’s the site I’m reading for info — http://www.womentowomen.com.

June 4, 2008 at 6:17 pm
(29) Jennifer says:

Her attitude could be potentially dangerous to all the followers of the “Gospel of Oprah” who could have Thyroid Disease.
Makes one wonder if the Scientologists finally got to her if she is refusing the medication.

August 22, 2008 at 8:05 am
(30) carol says:

I new oprah had a thyroid problem I said to myself look at her neck no wonder she is getting heavyer all the drs. she has on the show they can’t tell.

October 2, 2008 at 3:21 pm
(31) estella says:

Why an opera winfrey diet, dont go there,thank you. im fat because i dont work it off and i eat more than i should

November 17, 2008 at 11:57 pm
(32) Meg says:

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and Hypothyroidism 16 years ago, and have been on Synthroid ever since. I read a article in Prevention magazine listing different diseases and the foods never to eat, and Hypothyroidism was one, the foods to stay away from are as follows, Spinach, sheel fish and SOY! Doctors will never tell you this, mine did not, I had to come by the info by accident. These foods deplete your thyroid of the replacement hormone you are taking. This should be a wake up call to all patients as well as the doctors who are diagnosing and prescribing……………..Shame on the doctors for not sharing this info with their patients!

December 18, 2008 at 10:17 am
(33) Heidi says:

December 18, 2008 at 10:18 am
(34) Heidi says:

I don’t have thyroid disease, but I had a friend who did. She went to Pleasant Valley in Thomaston, GA after reading a book by Henry Wright “A More Excellent Way” I think it is also called Pathways to Healing – the Spiritual Roots of Disease. It’s on Amazon.oom. There are hundreds of people who have the same testimony (you read them in the back of the book) I didn’t mean to come across this page (I was looking for the cleanse Oprah talked about), but thought I would share with all of you who are suffering. My friend has been healed for over four years now, no medicines. I went to visit at Pleasant Valley and another lady stood up and said her doctor actually had to take her off her thyroid medicine (one year after she went to Pleasant Valley) because all levels were normal in her body. Hope this helps! I know I would want to know if I had it!

January 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm
(35) manon says:

If Oprah wishes to get well she should read the book Good Calories Bad Calories by
Gary Taubes. Shows the humbug business of various diets. She should never touch margarine a chemical product like shoe cream, she should eat what humans have had for the past thousands of years: good butter fat cream fat cheese ecological eggs fatty meats and fish and plenty shellfish,olive oil and no fresh fruits, no potatoes, nothing growing below earth surface but plenty of salad broccoli cauliflower endives and as for a nice dessert blueberries and raspberries and melon. She will never be hungry and lose and lose with no effort. Wake up Oprah.

January 9, 2010 at 3:46 pm
(36) M Lopes says:

The Dr Max Powers “15 Day Cleanse” flatten my stomach and I am convinced helped me lose more weight even when I wasnt eating perfectly(stupid schwarma). Seven pounds in two weeks (tomorrow is my last day) is pretty darn good if you ask me. It’s inexpensive which is also a plus.

Not everything you lose will be pure fat because thats not what this does it gets rid of the toxins,excess water and bloat and make your body run more efficiently which then makes it easier for to lose weight. I will definitely try the Dr Max 15 Day Cleanse again in 6 months. . .

July 17, 2010 at 7:51 pm
(37) Pauline M says:

I am a value-conscious, comparison shopper, and busy mom/ homeowner. I have used many cleanses and diet products before, but the Dr. Max Powers 15 Day Cleanse had the best detox and felt the healthiest for me. Its good for dropping a few pounds, no side effects since they are natural supplements.

I usually do a cleanse every 2 months. Not the watery laxative type of cleanse either. Recommended if you are super busy, and do not want to risk being unhealthy with some of those other cleanses.

March 1, 2011 at 11:21 pm
(38) Jolene says:

Soy is NOT a healthy food. It is NOT necessary to eat protein. Just like so many animals in nature that exist on a vegan diet.
Read Matthew Grace’s book A Way Out if you are serious about Health.

January 12, 2012 at 8:59 am
(39) mACtYRA says:

I bought the Lady Soma Detox ($84.99) to kick off my 2012 resolution to be healthier and more aware of my body. I saw the infomercials but didn’t want to buy it on TV.

I bought online and I’m on week two and I feel really great!

The Detox is easy to take. Since starting I am regular, I have less gas, and I have better awareness for how certain foods have been affecting my body. And my pants are much, much looser. This is not just a colon cleanse, but is a whole body cleanse. It has herbs that work on all your body’s systems (like the skin and liver), so it really works on detoxifying and removing all the toxins from a month of holiday splurging.

It has motivated me to really cut back on snacking and sugar and bread. I want to eat more vegetables and plants based foods. And I’ve started drinking way more water. It is a 7 day commitment, but I already know I’m going to be incorporating this into my new lifestyle changes. And if you look at other cleanses online or in stores they are much more expensive. Overall, highly recommended!

April 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm
(40) Denise says:

Donna D.
Drugs do not cure disease, they only mask the symptoms. There are diets and natural suppiements that can tackle the thyroid issue. Besides, 85% of all drugs sold in the U.S. now are made in China. On one recent 60Minutes episode they showed how many of the drugs coming from China are sub-contracted out to private small businesses and are made in dirty bathtubs in homes and not even washed out before the make the next drug. All the more reason to avoid drugs. If you give your body what it needs, it can heal itself. Eat healthy, eat organic fruits and veggies and do not eat meat from a grocery store…it’s shot-up with growth hormone(throws off your body’s hormone balance) and it also has antibiotics in it which destroy your immune system.

September 24, 2013 at 6:12 am
(41) Relationship says:

I think people should eat healthier, products that are natural.

March 7, 2014 at 11:34 am
(42) Rhonda says:

Has anyone done the research on soy and how it counteracts the thyroid?? So how is a diet with soy every day going to work? It’s not!!