1. Health

Mary Shomon

When Should You Take Your Thyroid Medication?

By January 17, 2008

Should you take your thyroid medication at night, in the middle of the night, or the morning? Find out my answer to this common question.

Readers frequently write in with thyroid-related questions. Here's a very common one, asking about when to take thyroid hormone replacement medication, along with some of my thoughts on the subject.

"Is it okay to take the thyroid medication the doctor has prescribed at bedtime, 2 hours after dinner, or even when I wake up in the middle of the night, around 3 to 4 am? I'm always in a rush when I get up in the morning..." -- L.R.

Dear L.R.,

You should first ask the doctor what she/he thinks about when to take your medication. But keep in mind that the studies have shown that the key with thyroid medication is taking it consistently -- taking it around the same time each day -- and in the same way (without food, or several hours apart from eating, etc.)

Research reported in the journal, Clinical Endocrinology, did find that taking the same dose of levothyroxine (i.e., Synthroid) at bedtime, as compared to first thing in the morning, might be better. (Read Should You Take Your Thyroid Medication at Night?) A small pilot study was prompted by observation that some patients had improved thyroid hormone profiles after they switched from taking their levothyroxine in the morning, to bedtime. The purpose was to look at the impact on thyroid hormone profiles by changing the time levothyroxine was taken from early morning to bedtime. They also evaluated the impact of this change on the circadian rhythm of TSH and thyroid hormones and thyroid hormone metabolism.

The study, while small (12 subjects), was fairly conclusive in its findings, which the researchers said were "striking" and which have "important consequences for the millions of patients who take l-thyroxine daily."

Researchers reported that taking medication at bedtime, rather than the morning, results in "higher thyroid hormone concentrations and lower TSH concentrations." TSH decreased and Free T4 levels rose in all patients by changing thyroxine ingestion from early morning to bedtime and T3 levels rose in all but one subject. And TSH decreased irrespective of the starting TSH levels, suggesting better absorption of the thyroid medication when taken in the evening. Interestingly, the researchers found that the circadian TSH rhythm -- the typical daily fluctuations of TSH that occur during a 24-hour period -- does not vary.

The researchers suggested several explanations for the results:

• Even when waiting at least 30 minutes to eat, breakfast may be interfering with the intestinal absorption of thyroid medication
  • "Bowel motility is slower at night," which means that it takes longer for the levothyroxine tablet to transit through the intestinal system, resulting in longer exposure to the intestinal wall, and therefore, better uptake of the medication.
  • The conversion process of T4 to T3 may be more effective in the evening.
The researchers have suggested that given the results of this pilot study, a large double-blinded randomized study will need to be performed to confirm their results.

Taking medication at bedtime instead of in the morning could have major implications for many thyroid patients.

• First, it's easier, as you don't have to worry about when to eat breakfast.
  • Second, it's easier to avoid medications, supplements and foods, like calcium, iron, and high-fiber foods that can interfere with thyroid medication absorption.
  • Third, it might offer some improvement in symptoms to people who are just not getting optimal absorption by taking thyroid medication during the day.
While this was a small study, it confirms what many patients anecdotally have been reporting for years -- that they feel better if they take their thyroid medication in the evening, rather than the morning.

You may want to talk to your practitioner about changing the time you take your medication to bedtime, versus morning. And if you decide to change to taking your thyroid medication in the evening, be sure to have your thyroid levels evaluated -- six to eight weeks is a reasonable timeframe -- after you've made the switch. The blood test results, along with any improvements or worsening of symptoms, will help you and your doctor to determine if you need to adjust the dosage or timing of your medication.

Note, however, that this study was conducted with levothyroxine -- a synthetic form of the long acting T4/thyroxine thyroid hormone. This form of the hormone must first be converted in the body to the active form (T3) and this can take days. Thyroid drugs that contain T3 -- Cytomel, Thyrolar, and the natural desiccated thyroid drugs like Armour can by used directly by the body within hours. These drugs were not evaluated in the study.

Anecdotally, some thyroid patients have reported improvement in symptoms when taking their T3-based thyroid hormone replacement medications in the evening. But some thyroid patients also find that if they take a medication with T3 later in the day or in the evening, the slight stimulatory effect of the T3 medication can make it difficult to sleep.

So keep in mind that while it's very possible that if a similar study were conducted with T3 drugs, the results would be similar, there is some chance that it would impact sleep quality. Only make such a change after discussing it with your doctor.

Optimally, some doctors have suggested that patients who take medications with T3 split their doses to take them throughout the day, leaving a dose for bedtime. This approach seems to minimize sleep interference.

Again, if you do make a change to how you take your T3 thyroid medication, you'll want to have a reevaluation of blood levels and symptoms after several weeks, to determine if you need to adjust the dosage or timing of your medication.

Ultimately, consistency is the key.

Live well,

--Mary

Source:

Bolk, Nienke et. al. "Effects of evening vs morning thyroxine ingestion on serum thyroid hormone profiles in hypothyroid patients." Clinical Endocrinology 66 (1), 4348

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
January 18, 2008 at 8:29 am
(1) Linda says:

It would be great if you would address HYPERthroid treatment in your articles,as well. Thanks.

January 18, 2008 at 8:53 am
(2) Shari says:

By taking my Levoxyl at night, I actually ended up losing about 10 pounds! Knowing I could not eat any closer than two hours before bedtime helped curb that evening snacking that had been getting me into trouble!

January 18, 2008 at 11:13 am
(3) tina says:

I’ve been taking my med. in the morning and waiting up to two hours to eat a small taste of food. After reading your article I would like to try this bedtime routine on myself! It makes perfect sense. The most important part of the article was about the absorbing rate into your system. Now write and article about your personal trials with your med. I bought your book. thanks for the research. I used your resources to find a doctor 45 minutes away that is a ear nose and throat guy who gave me the med., when no one else would, and that’s because like you said they still read the old bell scale. and no the over all picture. Why are doctors so hard on treating woman with this problem. They want to toss prozac or some other reasonable crazy thought from there side and no even listen to what you are telling them your symtoms are. What do you do about the side effect like dry skin and hair and missing half your eyebrows., trouble sleeping and never feeling well rested.?

January 18, 2008 at 12:20 pm
(4) Maria says:

It is better to say that time of taking thyroid hormones might be different for different patiences, because some work too late and have to eat more before bed
and some are not, morning for me is the best time since I can wait 30 minutes and don’t eat very simple. And in this case, your stomic has no food , for sure!

January 18, 2008 at 5:24 pm
(5) Jennifer says:

If possible, take your thyroid sublingually. It doesn’t interact with ANY food or digestive processes, and is more usable this way. I take Armour and it’s actually sweet, so there’s no qualm about letting it dissolve under my tongue.

January 18, 2008 at 9:13 pm
(6) Adrift in Paradise says:

I too take dissolve my Armour in my mouth instead of swallowing it. Synthetics did not work at all for me since they needed to be swallowed. I have approx. 35% malabsorbtion in the small intestine. I switched to Armour and at first was taking 60mg at bedtime.
Once my thyroid was removed the dose was increased to 60 in the morning, a 60 at 2pm and a 30 at bedtime. The first week on Armour I thought I was put on another thyroid medication that wasn’t going to work. Then I read on one of the sites that some do better if it is dissolved in the mouth. Worked perfect for me. Within a week of taking it sublingually my hypo symptoms started to resolve and within two weeks I started to loose weight and in fact needed to increase my calorie intake to keep from loosing more. I not only feel nearly 100% back to normal…. I’m in “hog heaven” now that I can finally eat more than 800 calories a day without gaining.

January 19, 2008 at 8:24 am
(7) Valerie says:

Hello. I actually questioned my Dr. about when I should take my synthetic tyroid medicine—specifically questioning whether it would interfer with my “birth control”, since they are both hormome related. My Dr. told me that I should probably take them at different times. I have always taken my birth control at night, so I have been taking my thyroid medicine in the morning. In light of this article, I will readdress the question to my Drs.

January 20, 2008 at 9:36 am
(8) Ariel says:

Hi everyone –

The first time I read this article a few months ago, I decided to try switching from am to evening since it would be so much easier for me to eat when I get up rather than waiting. Since I don’t usually eat for a few hours before bed anyway, I thought that would work out fine.

It did interfere less with my daily schedule to take it at night (I’m on Synthroid), but after a few days or a week (I don’t remember know how long it took), I started to feel hypothyroid again – and that lasted another week or two before I decided it just wasn’t working for me to take it in the evening. I went back to taking it in the morning and started to feel fine again.

So perhaps it does depend on the person.

(I use how I feel as my main guide to what is and isn’t working, and have had an endocrinologist who is willing to work with that as long as the tests support it – so that’s how I assessed whether or not taking it in the evening was working for me – based on how I felt. If I had felt good, I suspect the tests would have supported that, or we would have worked together to finetune….)

Best wishes – Ariel

January 20, 2008 at 11:14 am
(9) Mary says:

I’d like to take levothoxine at night, as you suggested. I also take a mild sleep aid at night (trazodone, 50mg). Is there any problem taking the two together?

October 19, 2011 at 9:56 am
(10) carrie says:

I take trazodone at night too and I was told I have to take it with food. So I would suspect that you probably shouldn’t take your levo at the same time.

January 22, 2008 at 8:53 pm
(11) Tania says:

I am curious… when would it be more beneficial to take Armour as opposed to levothyroxine? I am hypo… and I have read that there are variations to being hypothyroid as far as the T3 and T4 goes… but I am not sure about how synthetic and herbal treatments affect those variations.

If anyone knows the difference… please share.

I would also like to say that I have a very supportive group of CNP’s and physicians who believe in their patients and work with me and my thyroid issues. (And after reading your comments, I am sure I will ask them my question next time I take my test as well.)

I feel so bad for those of you who must struggle to convince your doctor that it is more than “simply” depression. I would like to encourage you to seek out professionals who will listen and work with you… it makes the process less stressful (and with irritability a strong symptom for me, less stress is necessary!).

Have a great 2008 =)
and God Bless!

January 23, 2008 at 4:07 am
(12) Pam says:

I’m with Linda. I’m hyperthyroid and take PTU. It only stays in your blood for 12 hours, so I must take it twice a day. I enjoy the site but wish more was geared towards hyperthyroid patients with Graves’ Disease, like me. Thanks!

January 25, 2008 at 8:15 am
(13) Janice says:

I’m Hyperthyroid and take Tapozol. Does the same info hold true for this?

January 25, 2008 at 2:30 pm
(14) K. Christensen says:

Regarding natural thyroid medications which Mary said were not studied: after reading this article I experimented for one week and took my Naturethroid at night–I FELT TERRIBLE! I agree that the immediate bioavailability of natural thyroid products precludes taking them before bedtime. What I find works is a sublingual split dose, 1/2 upon waking and 1/2 about half-way through my day.

January 26, 2008 at 9:26 pm
(15) deni says:

hello,

I have hypothyroidism and I’ve just read that it may be better to take my synthroid meds at night rather than A.M.
I also take paxil at night. Does anyone know if the meds may interfere with one another?
Please let me know, thank you.
email me: deni_luv@yahoo.com

January 27, 2008 at 5:17 pm
(16) eve says:

hi

January 29, 2008 at 12:04 pm
(17) prok says:

I have been having problems with Euthyrox dose as it fluctuates between 0.75 and 100 mcg. I find taking a small dose of euthyrox at night has helped me stabilise. Taking high dose of 100mcg is toxic if taken daily.
My doctor agrees to taking small dose at nigh.t I have to say shifting full dose to evening can cause sleep problems.If some one has problems with fluctuating doses and you know the information to help please do so.Thanks for useful comments.

February 7, 2008 at 11:23 am
(18) Cindy says:

Hi all. I was diagnosed with Graves disease about 4 years ago. I took the radioactive iodine and am now hypothyroid. I have been on Levothyroxine since then. I have gone back and forth with my doctors about my medication because I still have many of the symptoms that I had prior to my diagnosis. I recently got my new doctor to lower my dosage and I haven’t noticed any difference since then except for the fact that I am more tired during the day. I decided that I would take my medication at night. This worked better for me as I slept better because it put me to sleep. I am going back to my doctor to discuss other possible medications. Thanks for the information though.

Cindy

June 19, 2008 at 3:08 pm
(19) Dabomb55 says:

In the beginning i tried to take Synthroid before bed but found myself to be restless and unable to sleep over 5 hours. My weight continued to go up. I switched to taking Synthroid in the morning on a empty stomach with a tall glass of water (1st count of water requirement for the day). I am energized. My body processes quickly by time i sit to have breakfast which is around 1-2 hours later.

July 21, 2008 at 9:05 pm
(20) stacy says:

i tried taking my synthroid at night and ended up feeling worse and my tsh went up. i was diligent about not eating at least 3 hours before, so my guess is that, like everything else thyroid related, everyone is different.

November 11, 2008 at 2:45 am
(21) Stephanie says:

I couldn’t figure out why I was having major insomnia for about a month. My husband suggested I switch taking my pill at bed time to the morning or afternoon. AHA! I have slept so so much better since.I know for some people taking it gives a boost of energy, be it a little. I will not be taking it at night again!

February 21, 2009 at 6:16 pm
(22) C myers says:

I was wondering I have been taking levothyroxine in the morning for about 6 months and gain about 15 pounds can the medication be a reason for weight gain

April 3, 2009 at 10:09 am
(23) Judy says:

I seldom see responses on this site but I would really appreciate comments. I have just switched to Armour after 30+ years on synthroid. I think I’ve felt poorly most of that time without ever equating my depression, etc. to my thyroid. Anyway, when should Armour be taken? Morning/night? I wake up hungry every day and can’t really imagine waiting to hours to eat if meds are taken first thing. Help, please with information.

September 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm
(24) sharon says:

I have taken Armour for over 30 years and done quite well until they changed the formula a few years ago. I gained almost 90# in almost no time eating from 900 to 1200 calories a day. I have been taking my med’s between 3:30 & 4:00 in the a.m. I am feeling better but not losing any weight no matter how little or how much I eat. I’m not gainning again but l’m losing either. I think I will try the under the tongue method and split the dose.

April 4, 2009 at 11:19 pm
(25) anjulie says:

I have been on armour for about a year..it isn’t really working for me so they’re switching me to synthroid..but from what I’ve read armour has a short 1/2life, so if you take a split dosage it will probably help. I took 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I was interested in taking the synthroid at night as that would be easier..but I’m concerned about the birthcontrol…maybe I can switch the time I take that..since I only take it for regulation reasons.

August 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm
(26) pam says:

Try ERFA Thyroid, desiccated thyroid available in Canada, and made without the micro crystalline celullose that makes Armour Thyroid unable for some people to absorb properly. It’s changed my life after 7 long, unproductive years on Synthroid.

May 22, 2009 at 10:16 am
(27) donna says:

WILL TAKING LEVOTHYROXIN AT NIGHT INTERFERE WITH THE SLEEPING AID I HAVE TO TAKE.?

May 23, 2009 at 8:14 am
(28) Elizabeth says:

Thankyou for all the help you are giving me, I thought I was going nuts but I just had an under active
thyroid.

June 26, 2009 at 12:35 pm
(29) JR says:

If you are unable to get the answer from your Dr regarding medication interactions, then perhaps you can ask your pharmacist. Mine actually recommended taking it at night before bedtime, but it usually makes me HUNGRY and want to whiz soon after (therefore not easy to sleep). I personally wake up between 5 and 6 am (cat, or birds singing, or need to pee…and take it, then go back to sleep, exercise, or get ready for the day, and THEN eat…about 1-2 hours later. Works well for me…and consistency is key!

June 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm
(30) SALLY says:

Call me crazy but I get the best results by taking my natural dessicated thyroid WITH breakfast. For some reason, food seems to help get it into my system.

August 26, 2009 at 10:36 pm
(31) terrie Heiling says:

Sally- I take my Armour with food also. I do not get the t3 rush all at once then. Am not sure if this will help as I just started but I feel better. Not so crabby or snappy!

October 5, 2009 at 2:36 pm
(32) marilena says:

i have a big stomach troubles since i ve started euthyrox with empty stomach and now i m taking this pill WITH breakfast!it works!

October 7, 2009 at 12:04 pm
(33) Laurie says:

Is it okay to dissolve levothyroxine under the tongue?

March 31, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(34) john griffiths says:

Would it be safe to take t5′s with lethathyroxin.

December 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm
(35) Renee says:

Just started taking tirosint at 4am, going back to sleep for a few hours and then eat breakfast. So far, not interfering with sleep. How long does it take to start working? Anyone else take tirosint?

May 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(36) Peg says:

Keep reading where you should take thyroid replacement therapy at least an hour or two before eating, but then I’ve been instructed to take 1/2 in morn with breakfast and 1/2 with dinner! Wonderful results from this taking WITH food have been posted on other sites. It is natural desiccated thyroid that has done the numerous small studies and getting fantastic results. Taken synthroid for 2 yrs with no difference except at last dose increase I gained 15 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks. Next dr visit – she asked if I gained weight and was irritable as my levels were way too high. Ok. I give up. Buying and taking on my own. Will adjust as necessary.

June 13, 2011 at 11:50 pm
(37) Michelle says:

When is the best time to take Birth Control with your medication. I have had my tyroid removed 4 years ago and my levels are currently good but now I want to start on birth control. I have heard that it affects absorption. Do you have any recommendations on minimising effect

August 29, 2011 at 10:47 pm
(38) Sara says:

I’ve been taking my levothyroxine @ bedtime for years. Seems to work well for me. Can’t remember when I started doing that, but maybe there is a connection to this and the fact that I was able to loose 30 lbs 6 years ago, and have been able to keep most of it off since then.

August 30, 2011 at 6:54 am
(39) Geoff says:

My wife asked her GP (General Practitioner) about taking Levothyroxine in the evening. He didn’t really have a view – I suspect he, like many GPs, is clueless. What are the particular issues he should be considering?

August 30, 2011 at 8:52 am
(40) Arlene says:

I switched to taking my Nature-Throid in the evening several years ago and found I felt better. Checked it out a month ago by switching to the morning. I would take it at 7 when I woke up and didn’t have breakfast for at least 2 hours. Didn’t last a week, did not do well, off center during the day and didn’t sleep well at night. switched back and right away slept better at night and felt better during the day. Doctor didn’t seem pleased when she asked me when I took my thyroid but didn’t suggest I change. Arlene

October 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm
(41) Margie says:

I have learned from my daughter’s doctor in Idaho that thyriod should always be taken sublingual. After taking desicated thyroid for 6 years with poor energy etc results I found an overnite difference when I took it S/L. I have lost 6 lbs eat more and can get up early in the morning and be off to the gym. I feel like a normal human again.

January 9, 2012 at 7:29 pm
(42) Jenny says:

Wouldn’t taking your thyroid medicine at night interfere with your sleep? One day I accidentally took double dose thyroid medicine in the morning and had trouble sleeping that night. Taking it before you sleep would seem counter productive imo.

March 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm
(43) Roland says:

I take Levothyroxine in the am, on an empty stomach, and I think I’m going to try it with food. If that doesn’t help, I’m going to try at night, or splitting the dose between morning and evening (with and without food).

I think studies can be biased to show whatever the researchers want them to show. Everyone’s body is different. I get extremely irritated with any doctor who tells me I should do something just because the majority of study results showed this or that. Why do I have to fit into that majority? What about all the results that weren’t in the majority? How about the anomalies? Tell me about ALL the results so I can make a decision.

OK, 100% of people die when held underwater for 2 hours with no oxygen. That’s a statistic I can live with. But just because X% of people had Y result in a study doesn’t mean I’m going to.

It’s MY body, unless you tell me I’m specifically going to die, or do myself harm, by doing something, then let me try what works for me.

June 10, 2012 at 9:41 am
(44) Okai says:

I have been taking Synthroid for 10 years first thing in the morning and still have many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism–can’t lose weight, often depressed, etc. I have been working with a new endocrinologist and was told that levrothyroxine should be taken on an empty stomach with only a sip of water since acid is needed to dissolve the medicine in the stomach and water dilutes the acid. Waiting at least an hour before eating food and 3 or 4 hours before ingesting calcium or iron remains the same. The only other caution from him is that you must not miss a dose–the body knows. If you miss a dose one day, take two the next. I would appreciate comments on this information. I am going to try taking Synthroid at bedtime.

September 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm
(45) Jo says:

With reference to the last post I’ve always been advices to take levothyroxine with a pint of water, doctors don’t have a clue. I have since been found to be allergic to levo after 2 years of constant diarrhoea, migraines and a doctor who wouldn’t listen, I’d also put 50lbs on in 2 years. I’ve now been started on naturethroid and the weight is flying off me, I feel me again after such a long time. I take a grain a day, split in two, one early morning and the other early afternoon, I have also started taking seleium which is supposed to help the thyroid too.

October 1, 2012 at 9:56 am
(46) Wilcogirl says:

I was so thrilled to try taking Levothyroxine at night because it would allow me to eat and take calcium first thing in the morning. However, like #21, I have been experiencing insomnia (waking up at 3 a.m. every night) since a few weeks after I made the switch. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to go back to the morning dose in order to get a good night’s sleep.

November 7, 2012 at 11:56 am
(47) Healthy Me says:

I have been taking 25 mg of Levothyroxin (Levo) for about a year now been feeling bad ya no pissy and all. Last week was at my Dr. for the check up and he asked me how i was taking my Levo I said in the morning with my other pills.
Well guess what y’all he laid into me, And told me to take it with at least 16oz of water in the am 1hr before i eat. I started to do just that And I feel great, No more can’t sleep And I’m energized …… Right on

December 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm
(48) Zoe says:

What if you have to take lipitor as well? I understand it is best taken before bed and not close to when you take levothyroxine.

April 28, 2013 at 11:30 am
(49) Nicole says:

I have been on Levo in the morning for 2 yrs, have gained 10 lbs and feel sleepy (sedated) all day. I forgot my pill one morning and noticed I wasn’t feeling sleepy. So I started to research whether the levo was causing my drowsiness. A few others have experienced sleepiness with their levo, so I’m thinking I should switch and start taking it at night, because I want to be sleepy at bedtime not while I’m at work!

April 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm
(50) divadanyella says:

Hello!I was reading every ones post and thyroid conditions are difficult to control.I have Hashimoto(autoimmune thryroid) since 2005.Ive had numerous changes to my thyroid medication, researched foods,vitamins,etc to what wreaks havoc on a thyroid. Goggle for list of foods. Big one SOY!!!!!! Its import to have you antibodies tested as it is a wonderful indicator of autoimmune thyroid. Autoimmune thyroid levels are not the same as the basic lab reference range. I started on synthroid. Retested 3 months later, lab levels showed no improvement. upped dose,3 months later reran and put on cytomel.The cocktail worked great. No weight issues and I leveled out. Then changed to armour, weight gain started and my thyroid was all over. Went back to synthroid/cytomel and leveled out. Lost the small bit of weight I gained. For a year slowly gained about 20+ pounds.My dosage changed to 50mcg every three days, 75mcg all other days with cytomel 12.5. HUGH improvement! I walked for 30-45 minutes right after taking meds. I would drink around 32 oz of water with lemon, few dashes on tabasco sauce to kick my metabolisom in through workout. I also COMPLETELY removed foods that are a NO for the thyroid. In 2months I dropped the 20+ pounds. I started a month ago on IM hydrocobolamin(b12) 1000mcg IM daily for 3 weeks. Then went to 500 mcg in split dose for a week. Everyday I also took 1000 mcg three times a day SL(dissolve under tongue) 3times a day.This greatly improved my restless leg and many other chronic fatigue,muscle aches,etc)! Im switching to Methylcobalamin(found at a compound pharmacy) STEER CLEAR of cynocabolomin(the typical b12 the doctors give and what people grab of the shelves. Its pointless.) Google the 3 different types of b12 it will nutshell the differences in the three types.GO to http://www.b12awareness.org. t4/t3 should be tested on fasting.GOAL: not just to get the lab work to look good but to feel good. If something isn’t right get PROACTIVE!! .

April 30, 2013 at 9:58 pm
(51) divadanyella says:

Ps…Stay with brand if you can. Generics contain fillers. I allowed two years of generic over brand due to cost and it failed me. I had many episodes of HYPER mode with generic. Bottom line. Generic was the problem. Complete turn around on brand,given the dose had to go from generic 88mcg to synthroid 75mcg. Brand is stronger and more effective and hyperstate resolved. I have also tried the HS route on brand before and it was a flop. Two people are not the same. If that route works go for it. It does make sense just didn’t work for my body. Keep the metabolism going ALL day with frequent walks or 5 min walk on a work break or lunch break. Pure virgin coconut oil is also GREAT for the thyroid to help keep it in check. Yoga also has basic excercise you can do at home,google it ,that help blood flow to the thyroid to stimulate it.Hope all I said helps someone. God bless and good luck to all!!!!!

May 8, 2013 at 4:44 am
(52) Helen Thompson says:

Alot of talk about taking Thyroxine mornings or bed time.Why not 2 hours after breakfast 10am/ 1 hour before having lunch.That way you can have the coffee and other tablets that need to be taking in the mornings.My chemist told me to pick breakfast/lunch /or tea.Ive just started taking the medication so its all new to me.Ive been doing lunch the last 4 weeks

May 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm
(53) Linda says:

Is there any way to treat thyroid without having to go to a doctor? One must go pay lots of $ and wait indefinitely in a little room and and and
Just to be able to get a Rx. Is there any self treatment for the low thyroid? And is it adequate if there is a way?

June 20, 2013 at 3:01 am
(54) Rajani Sridhar (INDIA) says:

2 days ago I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid. My Dr. advised my Thyrox 50mg tablet in the morning before breakfast. I am yet to start that medication as I am in doubt 1) whether to have tablet or not 2) if having tablet, then what time should I have.. morning or night. I am in confused state now. I have high blood pressure (BP) and high cholestrol. I am doing regular exercise since 3 days (after master medical health checkup test done last week only). Please suggest. Note: I am 84 kgs in weight. I should be around 75 kgs only (for my height) but am in 84 kgs now.

August 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm
(55) Minnie Parish says:

I take levothyroxin in the morning with one cup of water.I wait one hour then drink a cup of coffee.I then walk on my treadmill for 30 min.I rest a little then eat breakfast.I always eat my meals 3 hrs apart.I time 8 hrs between my meds so i take Losartan for high blood pressure at 2pm and at 10 pm i take trazodone for depression and sleep problems.I foud it works better to space my meds 8 hrs apart but i am having trouble losing weight.

September 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm
(56) colleen says:

I am on 100mg of levothyroxine , when I take the pill with in an hr. I am having strong heart palpitations and pain down both arms, told my doctor this, when I take only half I do not have the severe heart palpitations I talk to my doctor about breaking them in half and she said I could, but did not explain when to take them, so I am taking 1/2 at night before bed and 1/2 in morning when I get up. my question is , is that to far apart. I usually take it at 8 p.m. and again at 6 a.m when I get up first thing in the morning, still having some heart palpitations but not like they were. Just had my blood check 4 days ago indicating I still am needing 100 mg daily. anyone who has done this please let me know what you found

October 6, 2013 at 10:50 pm
(57) grace says:

Coleen, as long as you get in the whole dose in 24 hrs it is fine….just be consistent. If you take it with food everyday, then your test results will be based on that and your dose adjusted for it. Do what works and do it that way all the time. I take synthroid and cytomel. After much experimentation, I take half my synthroid at 6 am with food along with a third of my cytomel, then the same again at 2 pm wifh just tea, and the last third cytomel at 9 pm with a small snack like 1/2 cup yogurt. That works for me…you will find what works for you….

October 27, 2013 at 11:07 pm
(58) rhonda says:

everyone i appreciate your experiences with thyroid meds But..i am not hearing anyone stating their labwork to tell what is really working please when giving advice i and i am sure others would like to see tsh and t4/t3 numbers backing your experiences!

October 29, 2013 at 10:25 am
(59) Michelle says:

Concerning the water dose to take it with or taking with food, I’m wondering if if the point is to be able to ensure that the pill gets all the way down into the stomach to reach the acid where it can dissolve easily. I used to rush and just take a bit of water and felt like i had a lump in my esophagus a little while later More water or a bit of food would help the pill down.
My bigger question is whether to split the pill in half and take half morning and half evening an hr or more after dinner. I find the whole dose makes me feel really crappy so have taken half only. Have not had my first blood test evaluation yet but my friends have told me my doctor is waiting an unusually long time to evaluate me.

March 7, 2014 at 7:21 am
(60) Rosanne says:

I have been taking Levothyroxine for about 15 yrs. And for that long I have struggled with sleeping at night. This is taking it in the morning. No way I could take it before I go to bed. I would like to know more about splitting the meds and taking them 2 or 3 times a day. Hoping that I would sleep better at night without the help of sleeping pills, which I hate taking!

March 20, 2014 at 3:03 pm
(61) gail o'brien says:

I was just wondering when is the best time to take my 0.1 mg synthroid medication. i also take Zopiclone at nigth as a sleep aide, I have been taking synthroid in the morning and I don’t , think it is working for me.

April 5, 2014 at 12:19 am
(62) Christi says:

I take NatureThroid which is partially T3 and am frustrated taking it in the morning since it must be an hour before anything other than water and 4 hours before any other meds. But I am concerned about taking it at bedtime because I don’t want it to disrupt my sleep. I have fibromyalgia and do not sleep well as it is. I wish there were a transdermal thyroid hormone supplement. I have many friends who take thyroid supplements but are not told by their doctor nor pharmacist that it must be taken an hour before (or 3 hours after) food and to not take any other meds for 4 hours. What about time-release meds and supplements like allergy meds? They must be in the stomach priducing hydrochloric acid constantly? This subject needs to be explained much better.