1. Health

Mary Shomon

Medical Disability for Thyroiditis/Hashimoto's Disease?

By November 26, 2007

If you have thyroiditis or Hashimoto's disease, are you eligible for medical disability? I haven't heard from too many thyroid patients who have successfully received disability coverage for their thyroid conditions, but apparently, the folks who make decisions about your disability often use a guide that explains just how much time you should get for different diseases. Here are the guidelines (note, they are in Adobe PDF form) for disability coverage of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
Comments
November 30, 2007 at 1:05 pm
(1) Trish R. says:

I find the information interesting. I have frequently wondered if I could ever get awarded disability because of my ongoing issues with autoimmune thyroid disease. In reading the document, it seems there is an assumption that thyroid disorders, with drug treatment, should be well under control within a month. Two and a half years after my diagnosis, I’m still waiting.

In providing a list of only three cited scientific references–one more than ten years old–I seriously question how the Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training could make a valid conclusion that “no (return to) work restrictions or accommodations should be necessary” (for thyroid patients).

Knowing individuals with thyroid disease are often struggling to get through their required daily life and work duties, my guess is the number of people who could fight for disability allowances would be limited.

I do have hope thyroid disease will one day be recognized by all physicians as a complicated condition which affects day-to-day function, but I don’t think this will happen in the near future.

June 21, 2011 at 8:52 am
(2) deborah dumalo says:

i just got it

December 1, 2007 at 12:20 pm
(3) Christina says:

I totally agree with your evaluation of the document and had similar questions to yours as to the validity of the dated cited sources.

I currently am pursuing disability through social security. I have Hashimotos and Hypothyroidism. When I applied the man at the S.S. office told me that if my application was denied the first time to make sure that I submit an appeal and even pursue it to a hearing if necessary! He said it was worth pursuing. My application was denied so I got an attorney and filed an appeal. That was 4 months ago and I am still waiting. I will pursue it because at this point there isn’t any way that I can be a reliable or dependable employee never knowing from day to day how I am going to feel.

Maybe if more of us with thyroid disease would apply for disability insurance it wouldn’t be so difficult to get. Unfortunately most of us need the income so either keep trying to work as we struggle with our disease or end up declaring bankruptcy. There is something very wrong with this picture, don’t you think?

November 16, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(4) Marcelo says:

Hi , I was wondering how did you do with your claim? any luck.
I’m going through the same problem

December 1, 2007 at 5:04 pm
(5) Alice Hile says:

I have Hashimoto’s “ENCEPHALOPATHY”
Thyroiditis and can’t even find a doctor
to treat me, let alone the disability
people helping me! I have very disabling
SEIZURES that have ruined my life and
finances. I am self-employed with my
husband thus, they said I didn’t qualify;-( My dentist! is the one that
saved my life and continues to help me.
We keep looking for doctors together
but, I am out of money now ($43,000+)
and my insurance hardly pays for much.
I am scared and don’t know what to do?
My husband is 67 and growing very tired
of working alone. And, on the days I’m
seizing he can’t leave me at home alone.
We have just been “hanging-on” but, are
going to have to sell our home because
we are out of money and cant’ work much
anymore. If anyone has ideas, I will
listen!! Thank-you for listening to me!

October 10, 2010 at 8:36 pm
(6) savanna says:

Hi, I’m very sorry that your in the condition that your in. I have found out about 5months that i have hashimoto’s disease. I’ve just started to try to get disability, I’m praying that i do i think it’s a very serious condition, and yours is the worst i can’t believe that they turned you down. Are you still fitting threw a lawyer. I saw one on disability for hashimoto’s disease article. His name is charles Tylerclark.com I don’t know how good he is, but it worth i try to look him up since you’ve been denied already. I will pray for you. And again i’m sorry that you have this and i’m sorry i have it to. I also have Rheu., arthrities along with all the symptoms i have with this disease. Pray for me to. wright me if you would like. May God be with you.

December 1, 2007 at 7:03 pm
(7) Ira says:

I live in The Netherlands, and have been on ‘disability-benefit’, due to my Hashimoto’s,…since 2002..
Since that year, I’m considered a 100% ‘invalid’(semantics.., and receive 75% of my last earned income as an invalidity benefit/income…

I’m (my health-situation) revalued ~every 2 years…

This is the situation/reality in The Netherlands…If your illness is ‘considered’ REAL, then it does NOT matter, whether you have a serious heart-condition, OR Hashimoto’s (and NOT responding properly to the medication/treatment..)

Interested in other countries ‘rules’ on this matter..

This does NOT mean, that EVERY Hashi’s Hypo in The Netherlands can claim ‘invalidity-benefit’ (we’re not THAT easy…):..
….It depends on the assessment (tests etc..) of the person (the ‘arbeidsdeskundige’:..a qualified doctor, whom ‘judges’ the patient’s work-capability & illness…) whom evaluates your situation..

Sincerely,
Ira

December 11, 2007 at 3:32 pm
(8) Jana Hill says:

If you are not receiving equal treatment under the SS law, contact your congress people. SS is a federal issue. Your representatives are there ti help you with federal agencies. They have clout. They can make government agencies behave properly in just days.

I would write a concise statement relating how you qualify and how you are not getting what the law provides. Then call the local offices of your representatives or senators. The people there can tell you where your issue should be sent and the b=name of the person in charge. This will ensure that your message isn’t misfiled or filed in a wastebasket because no one knows where it belongs.

My own thyroid issue has been with me since I was eight years old, It changed my life. I now manage it well, but I can understand that not everyone is anywhere near as fortunate. Those of you who are disabled have a right to financial help.

December 21, 2007 at 12:29 am
(9) Christina says:

Good suggestion Jana. Before reading your email I contacted both of my state senators telling them of my situation. I received a phone call from one of them who is going to take a letter detailing the process I’ve been through to SSDI and will push for a decision in my behalf. I only wish I’d thought to do this sooner before the situation got to the point of requiring bankruptcy.

Again, Great suggestion Jana, I hope more people read this and take action.

October 3, 2008 at 3:28 pm
(10) Kathleena says:

My thyroid was removed a few years ago. Since then I have had nothing but problems. I’ve always been active and have worked since the age of 16. I’m now 40.

The thyroid issue has never been under control for me. Now it is to the point where my legs are severely swollen and it’s hard to stand or walk for long periods of time. I have sharp muscle pains, weakness and fatigue. My blood pressure is high and I have debilitating digestive disorders. I suffer from anxiety and depression. Until now, I have never feared anything. Now I find myself crying, having terrible thoughts about myself and feelings of hopelessness. I don’t want to be around a lot of people and I’ve lost interest in many things I cared about. I just feel tired all the time. I have terrible bouts with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It’s a constant battle with illness and infections.

I have begun the application process for SS Disability. I fear what is going to happen if I’m denied. These people making the decision have no idea what kind of hell it is to try to work with this disease. The pressure of having your job held over your head doesn’t help. Most employers make you feel ashamed and many deny you the time off for Dr. visits. Even though that’s against the law, they find ways around it. And even when you can work, it’s hard to find employment because they know you will need time for medical assistance. It’s a no win situation. It’s not that I don’t want to work. I’m a single mother with 3 children. I need to provide an income. I’ve even worked with symptoms that could result in my death. Last year I developed pneumonia and worked through it for 4 months. I was not allowed the time to recover and my employer was completely aware of my situation. Many companies simply do not care. This is the way we are treated and it needs to change. Imagine a body you’ve been used to all your life… that suddenly quits on you and turns on itself. This is not by choice, it is completely beyond your control. This is what people with thyroid issues face every day. It should most definitely be considered a disability. By it’s very definition, it disables the body and many of it’s life functions. It is serious and deserves to be addressed as so.

December 6, 2008 at 9:33 pm
(11) mari says:

after YEARS of suffering through undiagnosed graves disease (almost killed me), i finally diagnosed myself and then the doctor confirmed with a blood test and so on.

now, after 18 months of medication, i have been diagnosed with hashimotos. the memory loss in unbelievable, even typing this, i have to use a dictionary for almost all the words.
i can’t function around people anymore, and i too am at a lost.

take care, mari

January 7, 2009 at 10:09 pm
(12) Laurie says:

Recently I thought that I might qualify for disability. I’ve had hypothyroidism for 13+yrs. Anyway, Over the past six months or so, my symptoms have gotten worse. My memory is shot, and my husband thinks I am going crazy sometimes, I cant remember a conversation from 2 min ago, My hair is so thin and almost embarassing, I have alagator skin and ache constantly, and sometimes feel bipolar with emotions, and depression is something I guess I’ve learned to live with. All of these symptoms that I have had to deal with over the last 13 yrs are now coming to a peak and getting worse… Much worse…and now some new sypmtoms too. Whats even worse still – not that I am working but that I work with children. Sometimes I feel they are smarter than me. It is discouraging to hear that SSI doesnt find it debilitating enough to qualify. I suppose I will still try but it looks somewhat bleak.
Good luck to everyone. This is a silent pain that no one else would understand.
God Bless.

January 27, 2009 at 1:22 pm
(13) Donna says:

Hi:

I have it too and recently I found Thyrosense that is really helping me. I am waiting for the doctors to be put on synthroid.

February 17, 2009 at 3:20 pm
(14) Ava says:

I’m glad to hear that I’m not alone. My boss constantly tells me that I’m great at what I do but there are times when I’m not feeling well and I don’t hide it. I’ve told him about my situation and it seems like he doesn’t understand. This has been going on for 3 years or more but I only got diagnosed recently. It’s controlled but I still get the symptoms. I don’t ever want to call in sick because I need the money; but I don’t know what to do when I’m not feeling well.

March 3, 2009 at 4:55 pm
(15) sarah says:

I am going through alot of testing my dr says my thyroid is enlarged and i have all the symptoms but the labs dont show much. my hair is so thin i am always tired and sick. i called in on friday and my boss tells me there is no excuse for being sick and i tried to tell her about the dr but she wouldnt hear it now i feel like i have no choice but to try to file for ssi or disability after i get all the testing done. its all very depressing. damned if i do damned if i dont. i guess all i can do is try to take care of myself and be happy for my kids.

March 31, 2009 at 8:52 pm
(16) deborah dumalo says:

This thyroid problem sometimes feels as though it will kill me I was so bad at one time I almost went into congestive heart failure. The mood swings feelings of angr crying. Memory loss and ur boss tellin u that ur not the sharpest tool in the shed lately is horrible. The pain and weak muscles the wt gain hair fallin out. No comprehending what people say heart pounding hot as u know what. I want to apply for disability but aftr reading this it seems hopeless

March 31, 2009 at 9:18 pm
(17) deborah dumalo says:

Can anyone help those with Hashimotos disease the symptoms are horrible the symptoms are endless. Working is the hardest thing to do lately I feel as though I am losing my mind and much more I never want to b around people I just don’t want to do anything I feel bettr alone. No I take that bak I hate what this has done to my life. Is there any help or hope

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm
(18) siena says:

Dear debrah dumalo,
I also have the Hashimotos thyroiditis but also Hashimotos Encphlopathy. I have had the thyroiditis for @ 20 yrs now.
It will get easier, if you take your medicine faithfully and tell the Dr. when things change. I went from a walking zombie, to being human again. But it takes time. Good luck to you and make sure you get plenty of rest and a good diet, lots of excercise. It will happen.

September 1, 2010 at 3:39 am
(19) Pam says:

i was wondering if you could tell me something,i just had my blood drawn for thyroid problems.but when the doctor was describing me to myself , it was as if he was reading a book about my life.i believe i have hashimotos it fits me to a tee. i was tested back in ate 80′s and early 1990′s and each time the blood work came back negative .i’ve had most these symptoms for as long as i can remember.i was married to a very abusive guy for many years, so i just assumed he was the reason i was like i was.anyway my question is if i have had it all these years.since i’ve had no treatment for it will they still be able to treat it and have the treatment work. thanks

September 3, 2010 at 7:02 am
(20) Cary says:

Pam……I have Hashimoto’s and I went through the same thing…blood work after blood work…numbers were good but I wasn’t…I felt like death all the time. I finally gave up on the M.D. and went to see a Endocrinologist sure enough he did new blood work and check my antibodies….they were high dead give away for Hashimoto. Go see a Endocrinologist if your not seeing one. Good Luck to u! I hope this helps.

April 23, 2011 at 7:26 pm
(21) Maegan says:

Ask to have an ultrasound on your thyroid. All my bloodwork came out negative too but then the ultrasound showed that I had Hashimoto’s and the thyroid was indeed enlarged and had small nodules. Hope I could help. :)

April 14, 2009 at 5:29 pm
(22) Siena says:

Alice Hile ATTENTION
I have Hashimotoes Encephliopathy and thyroiditis.

I have a Dr in Ann Arbor MI. She and her team Saved my life. She is an Endrochronoligist her name is Dr. Holsing ( I believe her first name is Carrie). She and her team were the only ones to be able to help me.
I had 12 hrs. and they finally figured it out.
Now. 3 yrs later I am doing as well as can be expect.
She is at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.

Sorry I cannot find any paper work so I do not have a phone number for you but I am sure your Dr. can make some contact for you, somehow. Please let me know if this helps you. GOOD LUCK.

April 17, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(23) Debby W says:

I applied for SSD and it took 2 yrs for that to be approved. I had to hire a lawyer, find a doctor that would believe all the medical problems I was having as a result of thyroid cancer, try and explain to my husband why I was so tired all the time and not able to work anymore-which he left me and then came back (that is another story!) almost lost my home. I finally found a doctor that LISTENS to me, she does the finger stick blood test so I finding out things that I never knew about my health. I am taking vitamins and minerals to get me back on track.

April 17, 2009 at 4:50 pm
(24) William says:

I can relate to all of the postings here. I’ve recently been diagnosed with Hypo and now recognise that I’ve had it for years. The symptoms that I get are life destroying in many ways. It’s a struggle to keep my job going, I never seem to laugh or enjoy anything anymore and there seems to be no end. Because look fairly normal, people think you are ok but I’m not. Surely, there must be an answer to this condition.

April 18, 2009 at 8:06 am
(25) RICHO says:

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HYPO BACK TEN YEARS AGO.LOST MY JOB MY FRIENDS ALMOST MY LIFE. LIFE TODAY IS TOUGH DAY TO DAY ACTIVITIES MINIMAL. I CANT EVEN REMEMBER HAPPINESS.

June 6, 2009 at 6:28 am
(26) linda says:

ive suffered with my thyroid for about 12 years now and just recently its getting worst just had to increase my medidation, ive put 2 stone on i feel totally exausted all the time and suffering from insomnia i feel the world is against me and i have no friends im in pain constantly with my joints and feel so deppressed i just want to feel better

June 12, 2009 at 9:21 pm
(27) Bonnie says:

After reading everyone’s comments, I don’t feel so alone. I went to work, slept on my lunch hours and came home and fell asleep immediately. The tiredness is only the beginning, as I’m sure most of you know. It’s amazing to me that someone can get SSD for having had a drug dependency, but for those of us who really suffer, we can’t seem to get help. I’ve had Hashimoto’s Disease for 12 years. My last endo took me off my meds and you can just imagine the havoc she wreaked on my body. I had a goiter larger than a golfball and she told me I was just depressed and yelled too much causing my throat to swell. After four trips to the ER, which is a waste of time, I came across a doctor who has had his own thyroid removed. When I tell him I can’t take the medication, he believes me and we try something else. He told me when I went in the first time that it would take a long, long time to get back to even beginning to feel normal. That’s been a year already and we still haven’t stabilized on any medications. I have gotten past the panic attacks and the shakes, but I still carry xanax everywhere I go. For the longest time, I couldn’t even go in the grocery store. I, like others, prefer to stay at home and go nowhere. I don’t want to be in the public. I don’t want people coming to see me. My house used to be spotless. Now, I can barely get up the energy to load the dishwasher, but I make myself do as much as possible. I will say I was thrilled to read the comments here. It makes me feel human and not alone.

July 30, 2009 at 9:00 pm
(28) Tina says:

I understand exactly how you feel. I have had hashimot’s over 15 years. In the last 3 years I have been to numerous er visits, doctors etc. I finally found a Dr. that understands me. I was starting to think all these symptoms where in my head. I suffer from the same exhaustion you feel. I can’t even get out of bed some days. I have been worned about my attendence at work and today I had to leave early. I’m sure they will be firing me soon. Amazing how drug addicts can get food stamps, and disability, but people like us have to fight for what is our right to have. Glad to know I am not alone.

August 15, 2009 at 9:45 am
(29) lisa says:

It is great to read about all the people that suffer from hypo. I myself am suffering from this disease, I was diagnosed in january 2009 & i was soppose to fel better in 6 weeks , that was 8 months ago my test showed that i was a 25. & i am soppose to be at a 3-4. I also have been diagnosed w/bi polar, I applied for ssdi 3 years ago I still get denied ( i have an attorney too ) my attorney said due to my most recent symptons ( hypo,severe depression ect.) to reapply for ssdi & since i live in a new state maybe i would be reconsidered. I still have no energy & and I am now feeling some pain in my knee that is getting worse. I see the Doctor on monday to do some blood work & hopefully get my score down from 25 ( what ever that means) I can understand what people are saying about trying to get a job/ & or keep a job w/this disease. I will keep all of you up to date with my new ssdi claim.

August 17, 2009 at 3:51 pm
(30) KathieTX says:

I didn’t realize that there were so many people out there that have the same symptoms that I do. And now I know that I am not crazy. I have had Hashimoto’s for close to 17 years now but was only diagnosed 2 years ago after a bout of cancer. My doctor has me on synthroid which only seems to make my symptoms worse. I am on 125 mg a day and yet the exhaustion/swollen joints is unbearable. I haven’t been able to work in 3 years. I use to be so active, enjoy life and enjoy being with people. Not anymore. I survived an accident that broke just about every bone in my body, a bout of cancer and yet this is the disease that has kicked my butt. I just want to curl up and say the hell with it all.

August 31, 2009 at 12:01 am
(31) Cass says:

I was diagnosed with Hyprothyroidism after delivering my 2nd child in 2005. The doctor thought that it was due to postpartum. After 6 months of synthroid she proved to be right. I delivered my 3rd child in 2008 only to start experincing the hair loss and extreme exhaustion. I see my endocrinolist for a series of tests and find out that I am hyper. They send me for an uptake scan within a week of my lab results and my thyroid is functioning at less than 1%. My endocrinoloist had my old endicrinoloigst come into my appointment for a second opinion since neither one of them have seen such a history. My levels were fine clear thru my third pregnancy. They did additional lab work and diagnosed me with Hashimotos Thyroiditis. This disease has completely exhausted me. My boss told me that i was not myself at times and that I seemed disinterested in my work. I explained to him my diagnosis and what was needed to help me. I was recently let go from my job because I left work an hour early one day after thinking it was 430P. This disease is horrific it wears you down. I am so disappointed in losing my job. I worked for this company almost 9 years ad its a hospital at that. Is this disease a protected disability? Does anyoneone know of someone in which I could contact for advise?

Thanks

October 7, 2009 at 12:43 pm
(32) mary says:

I am 39 I have had hypothyroid disease sence i was 12,I no longer have a thyroid I had half removed at the age of 16 and the other half by radiation at the age of 25. i am always weak and have joint pain,memory loss,hair loss, my eyes bother me,I am deppressed,and cant lose any wight , my mood swings are not doing my marriage any good,I feel as if no one around me understands what I am going threw. my hubby wants me to work and I know we need the money but I just never feel good,I work part time for his boss. I also have a colon disease and IBS . My kids and hubby have an on going joke about how my thyroid med’s are my pissy pills thay say I get pissy if i don’t take them . i get Iratated easy. The joke makes me feel bad. I don’t feel so alone knowing there is others out there that can relate to me. It brought tears to my eyes when I read your story,s and knew how you all felt I wish all of you the best of luck

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm
(33) Syl Greer says:

My grandson has hashimoto’s encephalopathy.He gets his treatment at cleveland clinic.with all his problems(can’t retain,some days can’t get out of bed,speech problems,very little cordnation with his arms and hands,falls often.personality changes,paranoid,.i could go on forever.so can anyone tell me what kind of work he can do.i agree that these people need a disability .he has gotten a lawyer.hope it helps him.i feel so sad for the above people.this is so rare might be the problem.wish you all good luck and god bless.

October 26, 2010 at 12:30 am
(34) Laurie Curtis says:

I have HE too and just went to Cleveland Clinic and the doctor I saw never treated it and I would like to know who your grandsons doctor is over there. How is he doing? It just seems like the doctors just don’t get it. All that I hear is that it’s really rare. HE has destroyed my life as I knew it and my first treatment of steroids did help, but I am not the same person and still have a lot of problems

October 14, 2009 at 4:39 pm
(35) Caryl says:

I have just been diagnosed with hashimotos encephitis and started meds Sept 2. Some days I cannot get out of bed. I have a hard time reading and spelling. I am also diabetic and had a stroke 2 yrs ago. I am going to try for ss disabilty so i will see how that works out.

November 12, 2009 at 10:10 am
(36) Julie says:

I’m also applying for disability in part because of Hashimoto’s.
My hair started falling out when I was just a child and I just have scraps now. It’s not alopecia…that was the beginning of Hashimoto’s for me! I have constant struggles with weight, pain, and swelling. I also have tinnitus that I’ve had since I was 12, and I’ve read that tinnitus is associated with thyroid disease. I’m so exhausted I can sleep 20 hours and still be tired. I have lost TWO jobs because I can’t remember what I’m doing one minute to the next, and then I screw everything up and I get anxiety attacks when reprimanded. I am intelligent, I made it through graduate school somehow, but I just can’t handle day-to-day tasks. I’m so depressed because I just can’t function properly and no one seems to get it. Worse, still, because I can’t seem to keep a job, I can’t afford my medications and then I get worse.

January 9, 2010 at 2:30 pm
(37) Lin says:

01/08/10. I just got the big surprise today, my MD drew blood and later in the afternoon received a call saying that I had a very low thyroid count. I was getting a pre screening for surgery for a recurrence of a Ventral Hernia. Which I thought that all that has been bothering me was the hernia. Put I guess the MD could tell by what I was telling him he pretty much knew it to be thyroid. My skin been dry and rough like sandpaper. cold chills cann’t stand to be cold even in 90 degree weather that’s in Florida summer’s. I have been having edema swelling in joint’s knees feet. I have the Hypothyroidism type. and on levothyroxine he also put me on potassium and hydrochlorothiazide. and setting me up to see an urological.

January 26, 2010 at 11:38 am
(38) Tracy Ballew says:

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 17 years old. My school nurse knew something was wrong with me, so she decided to refer me to an internal medicine dr. I went and he told me just by looking at me that it was my thyroid. That started a spiraling accounts of going to get blood drawn and getting new medications. Always synthroid! No one ever told me that there was any alternatives, until just about 2 years I went on a routine yearly physical, she took all of my information and I told her that I was tired all of the time and my hands and feet stayed swollen and I don’t like to be cold. But I hate to be hot because I don’t sweat right either. she told me she was going to switch my medicine because synthroid wasn’t working for me since I was on 200 mcg of it. She switched me to Armour Thyroid and let me tell you the difference it made in my life!!!! I feel like a new person. I have been able to lose weight, my hands and feet only swell when I forget to take my medicine. It is very very hard to get this medicine since they are having trouble at Armour but you can get it through Canada’s pharmacies. The only thing I still get a little fuzzy and cloudy and my memory isn’t as sharp as it once was but I can deal with that!

March 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm
(39) CAROL says:

i UNDERSTAND HOW YOU ALL FEEL. I had thyroid cancer and my entire thyroid has been removed. I work for the federal government and last month had my security clearance denied because I suffered tremendously in 2007/2008 from depression and pyschosis. I was off work for 17 months and returned to work September 2008. Yes its taken them this long to take my clearance I feel better without any pyschosis but because I did experience this in 2007/2008 from being hypothyroid I now am about to be jobless. The govermnet says I am a security risk. Everyday I went to work and did my job through the fatigue, aching joint and many other problem physical and I endure without complaining. My reward s now I am guilty of thyroid cancer and am a threat to my country. The biggest pain is people on my job now know why I have been removed and its a joke to them. No one who has not been where we have understands our struggle to have a normal life. I have done everything I was suppose to do to recover to the best I can but my reward is to be labeled dishonest, distrustworhty etc. I thought about filing for SSI but I see that too will be a struggle from the post. I wish everyone the best of luck.

March 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm
(40) Teresa says:

I had a total tyroidectomy and two parathyroids taken out. I had already gone through radiation with the I-131. I am currently getting ready to go through it again. I had a 4.0 cm tumor in my neck. Now I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have fatigue, muscle aches, my hair is very dry and has thinned out, my dosage for Levothyroxine has been changed 3 times. My boss threatened to fire me because of my attendance and “brain fog”. I am starting to cry alot. Sometimes for no reason. My doctor wants me on anti-depressants. My kids don’t always understand why I don’t have energy to fix dinner. A good homemeal-not a frozen burrito, etc. People judge me by my outside appearance. They think I look just fine. I too am trying to get disability. I wish more people were understanding to our problems.

March 31, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(41) Dona says:

In 2000 I was diagnosed possible with graves disease through lab test. I was referred to an endocrinologist. My endocrinologist ordered a 24 hour uptake scan, after the first 4 hour uptake, I was told by the radiology tech that I need to go straight to my endocrinologist’s office that he was going to page her. I arrived at my endocrinologist office and she told me that I she could not believe that I was still walking. My heart rate resting was 160. After an extensive discussion I agree to be treated with radio active iodine. The following morning I was treated with 21 meq of radio active iodine. One year later I was treated with 18 meq of radio active iodine. Today I take 200 mcg of synthroid. The last 4 years though I am finding myself with continued heat intolorance, problems sleeping, severe depression, followed by very angry mood swings, muscle cramps, problems focusing and the list goes one. I have worked all my life and as a manager I was always at work early, now I am finding it harder and harder to get out of bed. I would prefer to continue working but I don’t know how much longer I can deal with the problems that are taking over my existence.

April 19, 2010 at 7:39 pm
(42) Liz says:

How insensitive is this article. I have been dealing with this DISABILITY (hyperthyroidism) for 8 years now. I’m depressed all the time, my heart races up to 130 bpm, my bones ache from head to toe, I can’t focus, the mediction makes me sick, so sick to the point that I can’t function, and to make matters worse, My husband lost his job last year, we are low income with 2 children and no health insurance.

Thank GOD I have an understanding husband and family that supports me. I’ve tried to work, but every time I do , I get stressed out it makes this disease even worse.

I applied for ssi disibility, I’m praying that is comes through.

April 26, 2010 at 8:46 am
(43) Katie says:

ever since i had my first child in may 2009 iv been feeling really crappy. everybody thought it was postpardam depression but i new it had to be something else. ever since iv had her iv had tons of health problems. i couldnt stop gaining weight even when i tried to diet. i depressed, cant remember anything. i want to sleep all day but i cant i have to watch my daughter. i was diagnosed with fibromyalga also but that was before they found out i was hypothyroid and before they found out that i had a hight count of antibodyies in my blood and i now have hashimotos. im curently taking .75 mcg of synthroid and i felt good when they started me out on .50 mcg but the good feeling statred to subside i also lost 55 lbs. after about 5 weeks they have increased my dose now and i dont feel any better. i cant lose anymore weight and exersicing is out of the question. i feel like jello all the time and dont have the energy to even try. i have to go see an endocronologyst next month and have a cck hinda scan done of my thyroid. my sonagram came back ok i guess they want to see how big the thyroid gland is with this scan. sometimes my thyroid swells up and it makes my voice horse and its hard for me to swallow. on top of all of this i just started to get gallbladder attachs and i found out i have gallstones. just one of the many problems that can be caused from hashimotos. ill be getting that out soon. on top of that i found out that i have fatty liver and iv gotten some blood test for that but i havent got the results back yet. im only 25 and its depressing because im falling appart and i dont think my family understands how crappy i feel. I have too applied for ssd but i got a lawer and appealed because i was denied. hopefully i will get it my lawyer thinks i will i also have other health problems. i would suggest anybody try because this disease can compromise you from working. good luck to all of you.

May 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm
(44) Angel says:

I have overactive thyroid no insurance and I hurt so bad I want to die please pray for me

August 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm
(45) Tamera says:

I have had hypothyroidism for my whole life but I have been only diagnosed for about a year now. The stories I have just read are bringing me to tears because I feel the same way everyone else does! I feel awful all the time and everyone thinks Im a hypocondriac and my thyroud condition is a joke to everyone. I am always light headed and dizzy and nauseuos. no matter how long I sleep I am tired and my body always hurts. I was going to try for disability but reading everyones posts I dont think that will work out. I actually felt better without my levothroid. Good Luck to everyone on here

August 6, 2010 at 6:57 am
(46) emily says:

omg i hought i was going crazy. now i know im not. my family doesnt understand how i can sleep all nite then a few hours later cant hold my eyes open. i cant concentrate. weak as can be. i had my dr do some blood tests in june and they sent me to a rehumatologist because of possibably having RA. found out through them i have hashimoto’s but i know there is something else. but we are working on that. i hurt constantily even with otc pain meds it dont help. will everone who posts on here please give us up dates. and sugestions on how to go on with our daily life and help family understand.

August 6, 2010 at 4:51 pm
(47) rosemary says:

im sittin here readin all these comments i stumble on just browsing for info on hashimotos and cant stop the tears! i cant believe thers others feelin like me! wow im shocked. my hashis is so out of control. had more blood drawn today. i go to bed tired, cant sleep, get up exhausted, ache all day, confusion, dizz alot, cold alot, itchy dry skin, cry over everything or nothing,but you all seem to know that stuff and the rest. thank you for posting. now i know im not making up the stuff i feel. thank you for validating. and no, i dont work, im 50 and cant stay awake os upright long enuff to work. thank God iv got an understanding man.

August 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm
(48) Emily says:

I am so glad to see that I am not alone. I am young, was diagnosed with Hashimoto at 26 after having tons of blackouts and body pain. Since, I have not been able to hold a job, I have no medical coverage, so I self pay. Every time I try to work, I end up getting sicker and eventually collapsing. I am always so tired, and no matter how hard I try to lose weight, I just keep gaining. I have applied for disability so that I can afford medical treatments, but I fear I will get denied. It is frustrating, to see how once I used to work and be so independent am now finding myself practically begging for help and cannot receive it. I am always scared because I am a mother of 3, and collapsing on the floor and depending on a 6 year old boy to call his daddy for help, is something that should not be happening. Why does the disability system does not help the people who really are disabled and need assistance. So much I hear of people who truly need it never seem to get it. Why is that? It is a sad world.

September 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm
(49) Trish N says:

I think it would be wonderful to be able to receive some type of compensation for having a thyroid disability. Sounds difficult to get though. I’ve been on medication for 6 years now and finally the medication was increased to the maximum dosage. I have rarely a few good days, but several bad ones. It really does effect everything in my life and I’m happy to know there are others out there who can relate to what I’m going through.
Hashimoto’s; I feel is trying to steal my life away. With the exhaustion and confusion it brings about, it’s sometimes hard to get things done. I don’t feel as if I’m getting better. I sometimes can’t speak and have tremors. It’s a rough road.

October 1, 2010 at 7:23 pm
(50) Ruth Stewart says:

I have also stumbled across this website.. I feel tired all the time have no energy. Dont like crowds anymore! Want to stay home and sleep. I too have Hoshimotosis. I feel crazy and very depressed and feel bipolar at times… No one in my family understands. I too cant keep a job because of the brain fogs… I have been in management for years and have had hoshimotosis since 2000. I believe before probably when i was a teenager. But it def. has gotten worse. I am gonna give it a shot and apply for disability. All they can say is no. I comp0letley understand what you all are going through God bless you all and I will pray for all of you and pleases pray for me.

October 2, 2010 at 2:17 am
(51) Cynthia says:

To all of you who thinks ‘it’s no use to apply’, please apply anyway – if enough of us do, won’t they have to listen?! Those of you who don’t apply, perhaps due to having a husband who works & makes enough to get by, please remember there are many of us who do not have that & also have no money for any medical treatment to TRY to get well – we have to get an income from somewhere to be able to pay for Synthroid, doctors, lab work etc. From all that I read it seems that 90% of the people who are treated STILL have pretty low quality of life.
I am beginning to wonder how often suicides are due to being unable to continue ‘living’ (if you can call it that) w/ thyroid disease!
Perhaps all of us have SOME decent days – how many employers will hire/retain us based on that!? I find that when I do have those days, I tend to overdo & then pay dearly for the next few days.
I am on my 3rd filing for SSD as I do not have a choice – I have to keep trying. I do not yet have a lawyer as I have heard that since they only receive a portion of your BACK money, it benefits them to ‘let that grow’ (not get in any hurry).
I would appreciate hearing from anyone w/ Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Thyroiditis who has gotten THEIR (yes, theirs!) Disability started – email to s_ga_girl@hotmail & put your 1st name & ‘Hashi’s Survivor’ in subj line. Thanks & God bless all of you! You are ALL in my prayers!

October 10, 2010 at 8:41 pm
(52) savanna says:

I’m wrighting the list of names that has this same disease i have and i’m praying for all of them. AMEN

October 11, 2010 at 11:43 am
(53) Jenna says:

After years of seeing doctor after doctor, I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Disease by a Naturopath no less. Little did I know that all of my past illnesses were connected with my thyroid. I now see an Endocrinologist out of Scottsdale who has been so wonderful. My ultrasound had indicated that I have had this disease for many years & said that my thyroid was not only enlarged, but it was full on tiny little holes that resembled buck shot. I am currently taking 88 mcg. of Synthroid along with a multivitamin & supplement with selenium that has given me incredible energy to get me through a work day. Mary Shomon with About.com has been an excellent resource for new & upcoming treatments. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

November 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(54) Tracy says:

Hi, I have been told that I also have Hashimoto Thyroiditis and I was like what is that! Well I went to my reg. Dr. just cause I thought I had a cold running fever and chills but no I explained to him how I was feeling. So he asked me to do a TSH test done and everything was normal. I did not understand how this could be happening to me!!! I had shakey hands and sweaty hands and feet. I could not sit still it’s like I was high on life but not happy at all!! This was in OCT. 2010 he has put me on Inderal 40mg I would say that it has helped me on my sweating but not my mood swings or sleeping or musle sorness and cramps… I guess you could say that I have good and bad days! I have noticed that I have to clear my throat alot, I just can’t stand it anymore. I am due at the Dr on the 2nd of Dec. but feel that I should go in sooner due to my weight loss and let me tell you that I normally weigh about 115 and now I am down to 97.6 LBS now something is very wrong w/me. I have been reading all of your comments and I broke down into tears I could belive it I don’t know what else to do, I have no health coverage what so ever! Please keep posting! Do any of you know if we could get SSI? Thank you for your support and God Bless all of you.

December 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm
(55) Heather says:

I am reading these comments with tears in my eyes. I have had Hashimoto’s for going on 20 years now and it’s killing me. My last TSH last week was 45..My antibodies were supposed to be 2.0 to 60.0, mine were 2380..I have not responded to any medicine..t4 or t3..My symptoms are severe and I find myself “faking” life.. I really just want to lay down and die..No one understands how dibilitating this disease is. I have to work..I have 3 daughters at home to take care of..I feel each and every one of your pain..I’m there..I was turned down for disability and told to take my medicine and all will be well..I think its time to get up (as much as we can) and fight the medical (and Gov’t) establishment..we are not lazy, depressed, hypo-chondriac, or the worst, crazy..Thank you all for sharing..and listening..

December 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm
(56) mommyof2 says:

I have no thyroid, hashimotos. I have had it for a few years now.Because one person may feel better after taking meds after a few years does not mean the next will.I have not felt myself since before this took my life over.I do not even like to think about what is going on with myself because I feel like I will never be me again! It is something that should never happen to anyone.I may have a high energy day here or there but it could be that day one of my legs might be hurting me or my hip or my back so really what good is the energy.I am not over weight,I keep a clean house,I have 2 kids.I have 2 kids that get upset on the weekends if mom gets a tired moment and needs a small cat nap just out of no where because I feel like I could fall asleep at the table and my kids say “mom you always have to take a nap”.What do you say to that?I get to the point where I do not even tell people when something hurts on me because, even family members do not understand what this does to you and I figure what is the sence,I am not going to listen to people that say it could be this or that.That is why I have a Dr.This past year, I can hardly get what I need to done for my family and I stay home.My hair falls out,to the point I want to cry everytime I shower,I get cold all the time,I went thru early change,I get highly stressed so easy, my bones are hurting.I hate this. I just want me back!!I block a lot of stuff out.I do not like going to the store by myself anymore or anything.I get tired sometimes of people not knowing what it feels like.I think for people to give advice and to say it will get better and such…should not be done.Everyone is different.Sometimes it does and sometimes it gets worse.Everyone can just say what they go through and how they feel.I do think the system needs to re think the whole disability thing because everyone is defferent and just because it is lables one thing does not mean everyone is feeling the same way.

December 31, 2010 at 7:47 am
(57) Amazonbaby says:

I’ve had Hashi’s for many, many years. Yes, I agree with all of you that doctor’s do not understand this illness. And, if your TSH test comes out normal than you have to demand that you are tested for thyroid antibodies, T4,T3, FreeT3, FreeT4. If your doctor is only testing TSH then that is not testing everything for your thyroid. Also, many of you are also suffering from low Adrenal functioning, too. If the Adrenals are low functioning, it will mess up everything with your thyroid. You have to get the Adrenals functioning correctly first before you can get the Thyroid to respond properly to your medication. This is also an illness for you have to take a lot of nutritional supplements every day. And, this is an illness where you have to take your thyroid medicine every day at the same time. Your thyroid or body needs to have a constant supply of medicine. You need to Google about your thyroid and adrenal functioning so you can learn about how they function and what other body functions they control. And, the thyroid controls most of your body functions. If you are ill, you can mostly figure that it’s from your thyroid malfunctioning as the thyroid controls about everything in the body. Fibromyalgia is just extreme low thyroid functioning. Also, the thyroid controls your brain function, thus depression, anxiety, memory, speech, etc. What works for me is to take dessicated thryoid which is natural thyroid mostly made from pig thryoid because it is so close to our own thryoid. To help your adrenals, you can take prescription hyrocortisone in what is called a physiological dose and that means you are making up for what your adrenals are not naturally putting out. Not a pharmalogical size dose. That would be about 5 mg four times a day. Or, you can take a natural adrenal supplement. But you have to get it from a naturpathic doctor or chiropractor who knows who to treat adrenals.

December 31, 2010 at 7:50 am
(58) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
The most important thing with hypothryoid or hashi’s or hyperthyroid is you have to take a lot of vitamins, minerals, herbs, digestion help, protein powder and you can’t eat junk food at all. Eat food raw as much as possible. Eat protein – it’s very important for your health. Buy sea salt not Morton’s salt. No pop, very little sugar, no white bread, etc… you know the drill. Fresh fruit, veggies. NO SOY PRODUCTS. Soy shuts down the thyroid. Your liver is congested so you need milk thistle. Papaya with mint chewable digestive aides. Calcium with magnesium, zinc, selenium, potassium, etc. 3,000 mg. of buffered, powdered Vit. C every day divided dose. You need lots of Omega 3,6,9 oil every day. B12 sublingall and all the B vitamins. What I find the easiest if to make a protein powder smoothie every day. I use Almond milk, stevia, blueberries, and I put all my vitamins in the smoothie in a blender. I put organic yogurt in it. I also put spinach, celery, carrotts, etc.. This way you are getting your daily servings of fruit and veggies, too. Your blender will make enough servings for three days. Just put the blender container in the frig covered and reblend just before drinking. I find that weekly chiropractic adjustments help keep my nervous system and body running. If you can afford massage, even just 30 minutes a week it will help with the swelling and muscle pain. If you belong to a health club, swim or float, sweat in the sauna, steam room/hot tub. Drink tons of filtered water every day. Oh yes, I almost forgot. You can put Spirulina in your smoothie, too. All of these will help with your mental confusion, aches and pains, and thyroid, adrenal and immune functioning. I try to eat fresh salmon or fish a lot. I eat tons of garlic and onions. Stay away from white rice and pasta. East whole wheat or brown rice.

December 31, 2010 at 7:53 am
(59) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
VERY IMPORTANT TO EVERY ONE IS TO TAKE 2,000 IU of VITAMIN D EVERY DAY. GET TESTED BY YOUR DOCTOR. I CAN BET EVERY ONE OF YOU ARE LOW IN VIT. D. IT IS A HORMONE NOT A VITAMIN. Just start taking it as I know everyone of you is low just by your symptoms. And, spend at least an hour a day reading about your illness and how to treat it. I also put in my smoothie something called CELL FOOD. It helped tremendously with my mental energy and body energy.

Now for applying for disability. You have to understand that when you are applying for SSI or SSDI disability they do not approve you because of the name of the illness you have. They approve you because of the symptoms you have that cause you not to be able to do your job or any job. No one is approved because of the name of the illness you have. So, sit down and write out how the illness’s symptoms causes you not to be able to do your job. Like for example, “My job requires me to multi task and change directions on a dime, or remember a tremendous amount of information with no break inbetween getting that information and my illness causes me to have cognitive functions where I cannot remember anything beyond two sentences. Thus, I could not remember directions, learn anything new, steps in how to do a function, information the client was telling me, etc… Also, “My illnesses causes me to not be able to sit for more than 15 minutes before I get burning pains in my low back, legs and shoulders.

December 31, 2010 at 7:55 am
(60) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
My job requries me to sit for six hours a day and even with an ergonomic set up I still could not sit for six hours, or even 20 minutes before burning, throbbing, stabbing pain would start and then if I push myself the pain would stay for 24 hours and only if I took narcotic pain meds would it get better. But my illness requires me to take narcotic pain meds or anti seizure meds and the side affects of the meds caused my brain fog, memory problems, to become so bad that I couldn’t remember any instructions my boss or client gave me and then I would make constant mistakes. You get the pictures. When you go to the doctor make a copy of all the symptoms you have and they affect you from not being able to do the responsibilities of your job. If you are looking for a job then describe the difficulty you had in interviewing becauseyou couldnt’ remember what you wanted to say.

Leave a copy of these symptoms foryour chart. Every timei you go to the doctor take a new diary of how your illness is affecting you ability to work, have a social life, your relationship with your children, family, how you can’t do what you used to do and when it started. DOCUMENTATION, DOCUMENTATION,DOCUMENTATION AND IT’S GOOD FOR YOUR SOULD AND IT MAKES YOUR DOCTOR’S LIFE EASIER IF YOU HAVE THIS ALL WRITTEN DOWN FOR HIM/HER.

December 31, 2010 at 7:56 am
(61) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
DON’T TELL THE DOCTOR YOU ARE TAKING ALL THE VITAMINS, ETC… JUST TAKE YOUR MEDS, GET YOUR TESTS, GIVE THE DOCTOR YOUR SYMPTOMS AND HOW THEY AFFECTED YOUR JOB AND LIFE, EVEN YOUR SEX LIFE, ETC… HAVE YOUR HUSBAND, KIDS, PARENTS, WRITE DOWN HOW YOU HAVE CHANGED AND WHEN IT STARTED. THEY DONT’ DIAGNOSIS YOU THEY JUST LIST HOW YOU HAVE CHANGED. DON’T WORRY ABOUT WHAT THEY SAY. YOUR LAWYER WILL WANT THIS TOO. YOU WRITE A LETTER ABOUT WHEN ALL THIS STARTED AND HOW IT HAS CHANGED YOUR LIFE. KEEP A PAIN AND SYMPTOM DIARY. SAY HOW YOUR ILLNESS MAKE IT SO YOU CAN’T KEEP YOUR HOUSE AND LAUNDRY OR COOK ANYMORE. IT IS ALL THESE THINGS THAT SSI AND SSDI USE TO DETERMINE YOUR DISABILITY NOT THE NAME OF YOUR ILLNESS. ALSO, PRINT OUT WHAT YOU FIND ON THE INTERNET ABOUT HOW YOUR ILLNESS AFFECTS YOUR LIFE.

I CAN PROMISE YOU IF YOU DO ALL OF THIS IT WILL MAKE IT MUCH EASIER FOR YOU TO APPLY FOR SSI OR SSDI AND IT WILL HELP YOUR ATTORNEY, TOO.

August 11, 2011 at 9:52 pm
(62) Jeanine says:

It sounds like you have alot of knowledge about Hashimotos.Have you been able to get your symptoms under control?Were you able to get disability?

December 31, 2010 at 7:58 am
(63) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
ESTABLISH A FILE FOR YOUR SYMPTOMS, YOUR DOCTOR VISITS (TAKE NOTES AT EACH DOCTOR VISITS AND WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT OR GET), TELL THE DOCTOR THAT YOUR ILLNESS AFFECTS YOUR MEMORY AND YOU HAVE TO WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN OR YOU WILL FORGET. HAVE A POCKET CALENDAR BOOK OR YOUR PHONE CALENDAR OR WHATEVER YOU USE BUT MAKE SURE YOUR DOCTOR SEES IT.

GETTING DISABLITY IS ABOUT YOUR SYMPTOMS AND HOW IT AFFECTS YOU NOT BEING ABLE TO WORK, OR HOW IT AFFECTS YOUR LIFE, YOUR SOCIAL LIFE, YOUR MARRIAGE, AND GET YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO WRITE DOWN THE CHANGES IN YOU, TOO. DON’T WORRY IF THEY AREN’T PERFECT OR THEY VENT. IT’S OKAY. EVEN IF YOUR KIDS ARE SIX YEARS OLD THEY HAVE A VOICE IN HOW YOURU ILLNESS IS AFFECTING THEIR LIFE, TOO. IF YOU DIDN’T HAVE THIS ILLNESS AND THESE SYMPTOMS, THEN YOU WOUND’T BEING HAVING THESE PROBLEMS DOING YOUR JOB OR BEING AN ACTIVE PARTICIPANT IN YOUR MARRIAGE OR FAMILY, ETC…

Any way that the symptoms of this illness affect your life and changes it is part of applying for disability. Don’t make assumptions about how the process works.

December 31, 2010 at 8:00 am
(64) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
AND, VERY IMPORTANT IS EVERY FORM YOU TURN IN TO SSDI, SSI, YOUR DOCTOR, INSURANCE, ETC… MAKE A COPY FOR YOUR FILE. YOU WILL FILL OUT ENDLESS FORMS AND NEED TO BE CONSISTENT AND YOU KNOW HOW YOUR MEMORY IS. LOL

ASK YOUR DOCTOR FOR COPIES OF YOUR CHART NOTES AND TESTS, TOO, SO YOU CAN TRACK IT. ALSO YOU NEED TO GET TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR TESTS AND THE MEDICAL LANGUAGE THAT IS USED FOR YOUR ILLNESS. GET TO BE FRIENDS WITH YOUR DOCTOR’S NURSES AND FRONT DESK PEOPLE AS YOU WILL BE DEPENDING ON THEM TO GET YOUR DOCTOR TO FILL OUT FORMS AND SPECIAL FAVORS FROM THEM. BRING SOME COOKIES OR SOMETHING EVERY ONE IN WHILE. IT HELPS.

JOIN YAHOO GROUPS FOR HASHI SUFFERERS SO YOU CAN TALK TO OTHERS FOR THERAPY.

LISTEN TO MOZART, BACH, RELIGIOUS MUSIC, ANYTHING THAT WILL AFFECT YOU POSITIVELY AND THESE TYPES OF MUSIC WILL HELP YOU FEEL BETTER.

PRAY FOR HEALING. FORGIVE EVERYONE WHO HAS WRONGED YOU….EVERYONE. FORGIVENESS IS WONDERFUL AND IT NOT FOR THEM IT’S FORY YOU. LET IT GO. DID I SAY PRAY FOR HEALING AND GUIDANCE AND FOR GOD TO CHANGE YOUR MIND AND BODY. HAND YOUR ILLNESS TO GOD AND ASK FOR WISDOM AND HEALING.

December 31, 2010 at 8:00 am
(65) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
I hope this helps. There are many wonderful books out there that will fill you with all the info you need to become intelligent about your illness, treatments and how to talk to your doctor.

UNFORTUNATELY, YOU WILL END UP SMARTER THAN YOUR DOCTOR IN THIS ILLNESS. BUT YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.

THE GOOD NEWS IS ARMOUR, WESTTHYOID, ERFA ARE ALL BACK IN THE DRUGSTORES. THERE ARE GENERIC DESSICATED THRYOID MEDS BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND THE BRAND NAMES. THEY WORK BETTER FOR US HASHI SUFFERERS AS WE DON’T CONVERT T4 TO T3ACTIVE/FREE VERY WELL. AND, SYNTHROID AND LEVOXYL TEND TO MAKE US SICKER.

GOOD LUCK PEOPLE THIS IS A HORRIBLE ILLNESS BUT THE RIGHT MEDICINES AND NUTRITION AND DIET AND CHIROPRACTIC AND LIGHT EXERCISE (EVEN IF IT IS JUST STRETCHING OR MARCHING IN PLACE) WILL GO A LONG WAY TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER.

DID I MENTION VIT. D??? THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT VITAMIN YOU CAN GET IN YOUR SYSTEM RIGHT NOW.

December 31, 2010 at 8:48 am
(66) amazonbaby says:

Another thing is to join a yahoo group called, “disinissues”. Here is the internet address for the website. This e-mail forum is about how to apply for disability, both public (SSI, SSDI) and private disability insurance (LTD long term disability insurance). They have lots of good information on the website about how to fill out all those forms. They have lists of attorneys. And, there is an ongoing forum conversation about how to apply for disability, get it, and keep it because you will have reviews after you get it and you need to keep your doctor’s records kept up. You have to go to the website and fill out a small form to join. Don’t use an e-mail address with your real name in it to join. You will get wonderful, helpful information and you can ask questions, too. There are disability attorneys, ex SSDI employees, disability experts on the panel and people who are on disability. And, the membership roll is huge so you get good questions all the time. Joining this group is very important to help you in applying for disability pay. This group was originally set up for Chronic Fatigue sufferers so some of the information if just for that but all the disability info is good for anyone.

Disinissues website -

To reach the list moderators, write to:
Disin-Admin@yahoogroups.com

Do not forward any Disinissues message without
prior written permission from the author.
(Review the Yahoo! Groups Guidelines at
Do not distribute any member’s email address.

NO MESSAGE ON THIS LIST IS TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

December 31, 2010 at 8:58 am
(67) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
========================
The website this forum is on, “www.thyroid.about.com” is filled with good information, too, about suffering from thyroid illness, so be sure to read all of it.
=========================
And, it’s always good to join a Yahoo group just for Hashi and thyroid sufferers. You will learn a lot from joining. Again, I would not use an e-mail address with your real name.
========================
I set up e-mail folders and in my “internet explorer FAVORITES” for all the different types of new information websites I was going to to be reading and want to return to in the future for reference iinformation. And, you will want to keep some of the e-mails you receive from the DISISSUES and HASHI e-mail forum groups you join.
======================
For anyone who doesn’t have insurance or a doctor, your city, county or state should have sliding fee scale medical clinics set up where you can go to find a doctor and tests. They take insurance, too. They also have state and federal programs where you can get low cost or free medicine. Also, all the drug companies have programs for low income or any income without insurance so you can get medicine. There are too many city, county, state or federal medical clinics across this country and you can always bargain for cash prices with any doctor. Just offer him an amount or ask for a payment plan. The most important thing is just ask for what you want. But have your spiel read to go so you don’t have to make it up on the spot. But the important thing is you are selling yourself so sell! Why do you need this?
=================

December 31, 2010 at 8:59 am
(68) amazonbaby says:

CON’T
=========================
Another important thing to remember is that doctors are not trained how to fill out disability forms or make reports. So, if you have forms for your doctor to fill out or you need a report, to make it easier on your doctor, fill out as much as you can on the forms or write in the answers you want in pencil. It is okay and doctors actually like this as they have a bunch of forms and reports every day to fill out and you are making it easier for them. Make a couple of copies of the form so you can give them one filled in with the answers you want. They can use your answers or improve them. When it comes to writing a report for you, the same thing. You write a draft report of what you want it to say. Then the doctor can use your draft to make a final report. That way you can control what the doctor is going to say. Because they are not trained on how to fill out disability forms and they can make a mistake that can cost you. The forums have the same forms and give you answers and you can use the same answers for your forms.
Getting disability is like getting a job, folks!!! The best prepared wins!
————————————————
If I think of anything else I will come back and post it. Good luck everyone.

January 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm
(69) Cora says:

This is a shame that they take thyroid disease so lightly. I have have struggled with it for at least 11 years now. At least that is when I got diagnosed so probably longer. I got diagnosed with Hashimoto’s this past year. It’s only gotten more severe over the years. I use to manage to work but I would frequently fall a sleep, which would get me in trouble. I was slow and lacked energy. I had/have many other health issues that appear to be directly related which always would effect my performance. I worked hard and usually harder than my co-workers. And I suffered for it. For the same pay. I was threatened frequently that I would lose my job for things like falling asleep, lack of ability to pay attention or focus, sick days, inability to move due to muscle pain, joint pain, etc, my blood sugar would sometimes drop and it was unpredictable and employers would scold me for getting sick because of it. It was all kinds of random things. It just wasn’t considered acceptable. They treated me like I wanted to get out of work when the exact opposite was true. I wanted to feel amazing so I could hold down a job without anyone being annoyed with me.

I haven’t been able to work for 2 years now. Doesn’t appear that I will be able to any time soon. I cannot stay awake for long periods of time any more. I keep applying and if they do call, they keep finding someone more suited for the job. I’m not getting any younger and I’m not getting any more energetic. I now have inflammation issues in my joints and it is limiting my movement. I have the experience but I’m just not the best option and most employers know that. They have too many young and easily trained options right now. How am I ever going to support myself. I really don’t want to be homeless in this conditions.

This is an outrage.

January 13, 2011 at 11:12 pm
(70) susan says:

Apply for FMLA at your work. It

March 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm
(71) Christin menne says:

I have read every post on hear some are wheres than others
:( :( I was an active teen at the age of 15 i was all ways tired got blamed for being lazy as it went one i lived with that :( i went to see some one for my deprecation thy wanted to do a blood test on me i was going to say no but i ges GOD him self wanted me a round lol i had it dune and got the worst news of my life i had just trend 20 i needed to go see my doctor right a way levels where sever thy diagnosed me with Hoshemotows dezes and hypothyroid Ishim thy gave me lovaxol to see if it Chang but i was getting sicker it got to the point war i could not eat diner i would throw up it got wheres it was over a 4 to 5 month period of this i made an opontment with my doctor it was to the point i was curled up on the floor in pan and as so sick i could not eat or drank any thing priyer to this getting

March 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm
(72) christine menne says:

wheres thy did a TC skann dun with die it did not show rile any thing but a small growth on my right side my doctor was going over my test and i told him what was happening he was listing i ended up getting sick there he herd me to check on me and sow haw bad i was getting he back sent me to my ENT he did a byopsea for censer it cam back negative for that :) be cues i was not in proving he desided to go a head and do the serdrey to remove my right thyroid
i had to Waite for all most 5 months to have it dun it was July,18,2006 if it was not ever discovered i would have ben dead in for months be for finding out when thy when’t to remove it thy where shocked to find my thyroid was the size of a soft ball with tuns of goyders i have groths on my left side some of my simtams wher gon but after for years some of them are back i am skared as hell that i will have to go throw an other serdrey and the vary tarfing byopce i have to get reguler oltra sounds now was not being dun like it was spos to i saed am i spos to have an adums apple she sade no i told her wat i was feeling she stared doing the oltrasounds every 3 to 6 months to check i have ben appling for ssdi and or ssi thay have denied me over 5 deferent times 2004 – i apeld it 2006 apelay denid me i did it and 2008 thay denid me but i did not apel it i have aloyer thay

March 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm
(73) christine menne says:

have denid me so far 2 x i apeld it and am now wating a gen it is hard but i will ceep going with i hopes is to go to cort and aper it is hard to keep a job we are all a whar of it plus the vary bad cases of the dredfull thing eery month or if anny you never know waht it will be lol go figer and if you- do get sick and than get better you kech it from a nother person cus you cant fight it off every time so your amunsistum is for crap and you get in truball if you are sick all of the other simtams as well dryskin mouth hear and it falls out all ways tierd what gane and then the quick los of what its all a crapy sicel and now sort term and long term memry loss i cant remmber what some one has asked me on my bade days than iknow it is a rill bad day when you ask 5 X but in the back of my head know that withall the cuts to in heath care all of as will be in bad shape i have the dred full thots if thay do this thay are going to be ending lifes in clouding mine and others with other problums :( it skars me but i am righting to the sent and the trubun leving coments that will afect us i am willing to fight this at what ever cost to make this problum we deal with and the consernd we have for are lifee for ones befor us if you need some one to talk to you can fine me on face book :) i am willing to lisen and eny thing that i have infow one or if you are skard out of your mind and dont konw what is going to hapen to you :) when you just find out i will help the best i can and get what you are saying you are not crazy making new siptums up that thay dont know of look up my name above you will find me leeve me a message so i know you you are from hear and you toled other people as well we all have to stick to get there my be if we all band to gether and get a pationen sine’d to make ths known as a life threatening sera’s thing we can chang it for new gen ration so thy have achan’s to lives freely :)

March 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm
(74) Christin menne says:

every one dues not under stand what we go threw if we have a good day i a cup el of days it not last long it just reminds us that we are sick and i try not to think a bout it but its that and gets hard when you cant hold a job becos of it and haveing knee and this as well and know sume of the simtumd of my leg and feeat problums seam to be ths bludy ilness now :( so we have to let it be known and i will try to doth this and my be if i can get the low changed for thows that are all was sick but not contagas so we can make some thing of are selfs and a life with some re lief from this :) <3<3<3

August 26, 2011 at 11:46 pm
(75) Ebony says:

I can’t believe that I’ll ever find people that are going through the same thing as I am. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 5 years ago and had a total thyroidectomy, I go for radiation therapy every year. I was also diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disease 3years ago. For the past 2years I have not been able to work due to my tiredness, forgetfulness and weakness. I can barely lift anything weighing more than 10pounds. I have have a herniated disc. I just applied for disability and I hope and pray that I’ll be approved. I haven’t seen my doctors in over a year, because I can’t afford my private insurance anymore.

October 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm
(76) Christos Palmer says:

Hi all. I’m Christos and I live in the UK. I have hypothyroidism, and am currently prescribed Levothyroxine. Over here in the UK I can claim sickness benefit (ESA) for my mental health problems, and disability (DLA) for my physical problems.

I have painful joints and muscles, I also have muscle weakness.

Its one nasty horrendous illness. And its so dibilitating.

October 6, 2011 at 9:43 pm
(77) stephanie says:

As I read all of these comments I cant help but cry and cry. I am 27 and now pregnant with my 2nd child. I have hashimotos and the fatigue and mental fog are so bad I can’t hold a job. I was 15 th in my class in high school but shortly after began to deterate. I don’t have the energy I need to keep up with my family and my doctor treats me like I am lying about my constant struggle. I feel like I am always trying to run threw water. I loce to do so many active things and I just can’t. Does anyone care about this desease or do we have to suffer until we die with little understanding from anyone.

November 10, 2011 at 10:23 am
(78) evon says:

I’ve got thyroid, since i was 14, now im 30. i never knew there was so many women w/ this. maybe we should all connect somehow and do something, im goin through the same thing, just got a part time job, w/ child, family, i was a striaght A student in high S. until this Hashi. all i wanted 2 do was sleep, with all this meds. nothing does and people think i’m lyin, even Drs. is there some kind of law saying people can get help w/ the right proof? If any of you read this maybe this will help, but be careful, Adipex helps for a few mnths, but ive found the 5-hr. energy helps a little.just keep goin.

November 15, 2011 at 2:46 am
(79) Nikki says:

Everyone struggling with thyroid disease should Google Gluten and Thyroid. I am off my meds after working to heal my leaky gut and getting on a grain free/casein free diet. Nearly a year now, though I do take Selenium in a multi-vitamin for support. I have good days and bad and am not perfect by any means but it really may help some of you. There is a whole world of information out there that will blow your mind and that your doctor hasn’t a clue about.

Best of luck and happy interweb travels! <3

December 13, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(80) beth says:

The guidelines you posted are for getting temporary disability benefits in RI only. This has nothing to do with how the Social Security Administration evaluates medial conditions or thyroid problems (or long-term disability insurance policies). Why are you answering questions on disability when you clearly know nothing about it? This is hurtful to your readers.

January 11, 2012 at 8:12 pm
(81) Anne says:

Hi.. I was reading all the comments you guys have posted.

I was wondering also about going on Disability. But, I wasn’t sure if I would qualify. I had my Thyroid taken out 02/2007… and I’ve felt awful ever since. My meds change a few times. I still get very fatigued, now I get the chills really bad if I’m active. but I don’t have a fever or infection. I get very achy and it hurts if you just touch my skin.

Their are times I have a hard time going to work even after I take my meds. I feel bad taking time off at work. But, their are times I just feel awful.
and now when I get sick I get so run down I just can’t believe how bad I feel.

February 9, 2012 at 1:19 am
(82) Faye says:

Wow this is so very sad for all of us! Im 24yrs old and was diagnosed with graves disease (hypo&hyper thyroid when I was 14. My mom new something was wrong with me. I went from the most sweesit child,always made good grades to a out of control teen! My body felt ok at the time except for when I had to do chores around the house! I had gotten so sick I couldnt even sweep or valcum because I was just that weak. So when I went to our family doctor she prescribed me synthroid. I had to take 16 a day. This was terrible. It didnt it help, so my hormones were out of control. I was only 14 but my body was on a 30yr old level! I was completly a different person! So a year later I had my thyroid removed and then I was down to 1 pill a day! Sounds better huh? Well not really because I only got worse as I got older and started working part time in high school and full time when I got grown. High school was bad for me. I was teased about my eyes being so big,gaining and loosing weight,hair loss,and also being jittery. It was awful. I cant count how many jobs I have had and couldnt keep! From being so tired and week! I pushed myself for my daughter but its hard. Was thinking about applying for disabilty but after reading all of your stories, I dont think I have a chance! Any advice? Wish you all luck! God bless!

February 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm
(83) lisa m. says:

i too am suffering from hypothryoidism and it feels so good to know that i am not alone in this battle. i have been diagnosed 9 years ago and since then have been on synthroid. don’t know why cuz it doesn’t help. i still am always tired, have no ambition to do anything, i make promises to my kids i know i can’t keep,but try to.can’t lose weight no matter what, lately have been becoming very forgetful , i feel at times as if i am from another planet, really! i am brian fogged half the time, my husband thinks i am crazy and need to see a shrink. talking about being supportive. he just does not get it and i don’t expect him to cuz the only people who get it are the ones who are surrering from this disease. well i can go on and on about my daily struggles, but i wish all of you out there who are suffering like me the best of luck through this and keep the faith alive and just keep saying to yourself i don’t know how i got through today, but i did and i know i can get through tomorrow some how! take care.

April 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm
(84) Donnabel says:

I just got diagnosed with Hashi’s and hypothyroidism about a year ago. After going thru two different endocronologist I finally found one that listened to me and didn’t think I was crazy. The other doctors being that I’m young, 30, thought that I had to much to handle and that it was stress and blah blah blah, but I knew my body and I knew that something was not right. I also just had given birth to my third child in which I tied my tubes because of the ordeal of the pregnancy I could put my body thru another pregnancy like that. Soon after the diagnosis I was still feeling tired and achy. That’s when I pushed a little further and finally my endocronologist refer me to a rhematologist which he then found two other auto immune diseases Sgjoren’s and Lupus. It turns out that my fatigue was more due to the Sgjoren’s disease than the thyroid and once you have one you get more. I live in NJ and all I could say is that thank god that I found doctors that actually worked with me. For those out there still suffering please please don’t stop looking there is a doctor out there and things will get a little better. I know my doctor was honest with me and said I will live a long time if I keep up with my followups but my quality of life will never be the same. I just take it one step at a time and that has kept me going.

June 15, 2012 at 1:49 pm
(85) jack says:

i’ve had hypothroidism diagnosed shortly after going through the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Chronic stress over a long duration most likely a contributing factor to that. So, yes, i believe stress will do it. Or at least a contributing factor.

Eliminate as much stress as you can.. though we all know thats not all that easy. Get the rest you need and deserve. We can’t all become stress management experts.

From what i’ve been told- Whatever you do, don’t ever stop taking the medication, go see a thryoid specialist who can document your problems, which you need to get disability approved in any case, because if its not documented you can’t get approved.

This is not a good thing to have and i think it does affect your work and home life without question. They say its treatable, but the problems never go away.

But we have to learn to manage it and the things that affect it and if disability is needed, in some cases, it should be approved in my opinion.

Good luck to all.

July 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(86) Tonya says:

re to I got it – how did you get it – I have this and i was working fighting everyday with it until i just got too sick – im on levothyroxine and now the dr wants to doa catscan for a possible brain tumor but i cant find insurance in Texas to cover what I need done.

August 12, 2012 at 11:59 am
(87) Kathy says:

The side affects of hypothyrodism are forever. SS disability doesn’t care if you have short term memory, depression and anxity… just go get a job. I hope they read all these comments!!!!

August 16, 2012 at 8:22 pm
(88) Paula says:

I found out that I have hypo/hashimoto and have been off work for a year. I have decided to file for disability on account that I don’t have the energy that I use to have. The meds that I am now taking is making things worse. It has made my stomach so upset that i can’t leave the house some days. Then that exhausts me for the next 3-4 days. I wake up every morning with swollen hands and my whole body is now starting to feel like I have had the flu. I started having heel pain every time I get up. I HAVE NEVER felt like this and it is now becoming a burden to my family. This is the most frustrating thing i have ever been through. Is there anyone out there that can help with these problems.

October 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm
(89) Cindy k says:

I was wondering if those with hashimo disease also have unbearable joint pain chest pain weakness falling or clumsy muscle tremors memory loss ect I have hashimot, fibro, high insulin, low vit d and b12 high b6 peripheral neuropathy, gout I’m working five days week 40 hour weeks missing more and more days even on thyroid med is the severe joint pain and confusion hashi or combined now they are testing me for ms ra or lupus I really can’t take finding out I have another disease

October 31, 2012 at 12:38 am
(90) Renee says:

My husband just teased me as if I was joking when I told him I have Thyroiditis/Hashimoto’s Disease. I wanted to cry. All symtoms the same as all of you. The only thing I have not seen after reading all of these statements all the way back to 2007, Has anyone been successful in recieveing SSDI? Please, we all want to know.

March 26, 2013 at 12:00 am
(91) marie says:

I have hashimotos i was diagnosed this past yr, however i suffered woth symtoms yrs and yrs before and docs misdoagnosed me they did diagnose me with anxiety and depression wich i later found out was due to the hashimotos and all of you who suffer with axiety depression and panic attack from thyroid illnesses you can and get ssi for that solong as your doc agrees you suffer from anxiey and can prove it ny medical documents and meds u take for anxiety no mater what the reason anxiety is a win for ssi i know because i won first time

June 11, 2013 at 8:53 pm
(92) Jesse says:

I have been living with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis for 5 years now. I recently got a doctor to approve me to be unable to participate in CAL Works activities due to my high levels of fatigue and increased pressure on my neck which makes me feel dizzy. I am now trying to get 100% disability from SSI because I can’t dig holes or hang drywall all day anymore. In fact some days I can barely get out of bed and have this feeling of my body weighing 3 times as much as it does and it is physically hard to lift a shovel. However these symptoms as you all know are not as bad on some days, but they never go away completely. I will let everyone know if I get approved and maybe it will change the tied in the battle to be recognized as a real disability.

July 8, 2013 at 3:31 pm
(93) tanya says:

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 15 years ago Took my synthroid religiously then 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto and my dr said the only thing I could do was have my thyroid radioactively killed So I did Two years later I am a non factor in life I lay on my couch everyday all day I dont even have the energy to fix a microwave meal Like the rest of you, I feel I am dying and sometimes wish I would. This is no life. I used to eat for enjoyment, now I just eat to live. I am like a hermit I am so afraid that when I go out in public I will act like a fool i have no confidence anymore And of course my family just thinks I am lazy

August 18, 2013 at 8:24 pm
(94) Deborah Dumalo says:

Hashimoto’s is a horrible disease and for someone who has never had it will find it hard to understand.I have been living with it since 2007 and it has been no picnic, but i did get Social Security Disability, which helps a lot, i can’t work like i used to. That is way to hard, every day is a task for me but i keep going and and keep trying. I also do a lot of praying!!

September 23, 2013 at 12:48 am
(95) MaryKat4 says:

Deborah Dumalo,
I would really like to know how you got the disability for Hashimoto’s. I was diagnosed about 6 months ago after suffering for years. I lost everything in my inability to work and now my daughter and I live in a group home. Even there I am struggling to pay rent. Any thing you can offer as way of help would be appreciated. marykat4@yahoo.com
Thank you!!

November 20, 2013 at 5:40 am
(96) Elizabeth says:

I AM NOT CRAZY, OR LAZY… My family (all but my sister) keep telling me, things have gotten so bad I lost a job because I couldn’t work. After reading everyone’s comments I feel less insane(?) I am still fighting my doctor for another test because after finding 2 goiters and all the symptoms they keep saying depression, yes but why .. migraines yes but why heart palpitations, dizzy, and so on… Until I had a crying fit in the doctor office for the tpo and tgb and when I got in the car I looked at my paper work and all she ordered was tgb (un-friking believable) got results yesterday its high and she has me going back to endo on friday…. Why is this so difficult… But THANKS TO ALL OF YOU LADIES I know I will not give up till I get answers to my health problems and being denied disability. I will apply again and again till they realize I cannot live (this is not living what I am doing right now) this way. Thanks for listening… Liz

December 2, 2013 at 5:48 am
(97) Hashigrl2 says:

I am so amazed at everyone’s comments, tragic and familiar. Many of us are on meds but not functional. I just started toward the application for SSDI. Since I was 17, maybe even earlier, I would have these Ups and Downs, weight gain, energy level, isolation. I became symtomatic and treated in 2007, a small dose of Synthoid and it make a difference within a month or so. Felt back to normal for a bit. Then spiral. All symptoms started returning, weight gain, energy issues, mental fog, etc.

December 2, 2013 at 5:52 am
(98) Hashigrl2 says:

Con’t
We increased my dose, then added Cytomels. Eventually everything switched to generics. I would have some great stretches with minimal symptoms then things changed. Despite increasing my Levothyrosine, adding more Liothyronine. No effect. No major changes. One difference is menopause, surgical due to endometriosis. When estrogen levels tanked that’s when it went south, even with estrogen patches, etc. Even as a RN, I know better, I titrated up my dose. I was having major memory issues, extreme exhaustion and swing shift didn’t help. I had to quit, I felt in my current state I’d put patients at risk. I haven’t worked since. I tried to find work but it didn’t pan out, when my symptoms worsened, by back went out for no apparent reason. My bad stretches have ever been this long or so severe. What concerns me about these docs.. TSH is the end all.

December 2, 2013 at 5:57 am
(99) Hashigrl2 says:

Con’t
I found a doc willing to try Nature Throid. Most docs won’t try anything but synthetic. She isn’t happy with my supressed TSH (0.02), I’m asymptomatic and it’s been consistently at 0.02, no matter the dose. I feel like everything is a battle, everything and anything sucks the life out of me and I can’t think or remember worth a damn. I was on Levo 112mcg and Lio 10mcg. Doc switched me 81.5 mg of Nature Throid. It’s been only a few days and no real difference, will take time. My doc says she doses for “safety” aka not for symptoms. So if I don’t feel better it’s back to searching. I’m hoping disability won’t shut us out. Big problem is most docs consider it a big deal. We may need to unite to be heard. I’m tired as all of are, with the prep speeches about the power of positive thinking, or disapproving looks because I’m so wiped out, I can’t do a lot with the kids, backing out of social functions because I’m catching every bug or something else hurts. We need to make them understand!

December 2, 2013 at 6:01 am
(100) Hashigrl2 says:

Con’t

December 11, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(101) Marie says:

I feel for all of you. Unfortunately, I have had severe Hashi symptoms and PCOS, ie, throat closure, throat tightness, asthma, GERD, chronic infections, enlarged cervical lymph nodes, low back/hip pain just to name a few. Does anyone know of a good Social Security Disability Attorney in the NY Long Island that has won Hashi cases? any info would be greatly appreciated. If so, please email me at mardan2@optonline.net. Happy Holidays all, stay well!

January 10, 2014 at 2:55 am
(102) llasmin sandoval says:

hello my name is Llasmin, I am 23 years of age. i was diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism, so basically I’ve been on Levothyroxine my whole life. Well my condition was had been under control the whole time, but now since i turned 21 and i receive no medical benefits and since i really dont have a job and im still a college student, i really dont have health insurance to cover my medical expenses. i was off my medicine for almost a year. ive been struggling at school lately, i cant complete my work, im always feeling tired and sluggish. well right now im going to a clinic where they attended me and im back on the medication, but apparently now i have high cholesterol now. i want to get a health insurance, but really now i cant really afford one right now. i gained a lot of weight too. I know this probably has nothing to do, but we all have something in common which is our condition. i feel that no one really understands here at home, because they think i just make all this up, my whole family agrees that im the lazy one in the house. I’ve always struggled at school but i never put my condition as an excuse. I might not of been a straight A student but i always thrived for the best. i was in honors from middle school through high school with high B’s and some A’s. right now im kinda struggling at school like i said, im trying my best to get myself back up. i just feel that im alone in this world. now i know im not. so lets keep it up, lets not give up. =D

January 20, 2014 at 11:12 am
(103) jr says:

Try having hashimotos as a teacher. I forget students names after having them in my class almost the entire year. I teach math and often forget how to work out the problems. I used to be an excellent speller, but now often forget how words are spelled and question my spelling all the time using a dictionary. I can forget a conversation two minutes later. I am going to apply because even though I’m on medicine for it and my levels look good….I am obviously not.

February 8, 2014 at 8:47 pm
(104) GO says:

@John…… please let me know how that goes (applying, that is); I am in a similar situation in that I take meds and levels look good but I’m not doing well at all. Little things like sleeping through 3 alarm clocks in the mornings, forgetting what I’m talking about mid-sentence, emotional… I might apply, too.

February 21, 2014 at 10:20 pm
(105) Rebecca says:

No disrespect here but I’m 29 years old and I was diagnosed with a goiter and hypothyroid at the age of 4 and hoshimotos at the age of 13. I have never used this disease as an excuse to gain disability or to not get out of bed. I went and received my bachelors in nursing and I hold a full time job as an operating room nurse where I stand for up to 12 hours a day. Some days are better than others because yes I do go through the exact same things you guys go through but I also found a great endocrinologist (and believe me I shopped a lot for the best) and my thyroid levels are stable and I function great in society and my employers can rely on me. Don’t use hoshimotos as an excuse to gain disability because your just needing an excuse to be lazy and take my tax money!

March 7, 2014 at 7:49 am
(106) Hanzi says:

Hi. I am a 25 yo man. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s about 2 years ago and have been on levothyroxine ever since. The biggest issue for me has been constant joint pain and body pain in general. Recently I have called in sick to work and really gotten laid into for that with the threat of being fired. I don’t want to lose my job, but I feel like my boss thinks I’m full of shit. He’s an asshole on a good day, so trying to get him to understand my condition is very difficult. My questions are 1) Does anyone know of symptoms specific to men? 2) Does anyone know of any books/web sources geared towards men? 3) Those of you who also suffer with Rheumetoid Arthritis, how did that diagnoses come about and what were your major symptoms? I ask this because the joint pain can be very bad some days with swelling and pain in my hands, knees, elbows, etc. Thank you in advance for any answers.
Hanzi