1. Health

Mary Shomon

Help for Bloating/Water Retention in Thyroid Patients

By July 2, 2007

Many thyroid patients experience water retention and bloating, even when receiving treatment for hypothyroidism. Martha wrote in to share her solution:
Just wanted to share this with you...one of my problems with hypothyroidism is water retention, despite the 80 ounces of water I drink daily. My doctor suggested I try 16 oz. unflavored Pedialyte mixed with 48 oz. water and drink this mixture two consecutive days weekly. After the first day, I noticed a significant difference! After the second day, I weighed 1.5 lbs. less. Water retention isn't a problem for me anymore!!! Maybe this will help others. Thanks for your inspiration and support. ~ Martha B.
A great idea from Martha!
Comments
July 2, 2007 at 8:18 pm
(1) Dee says:

I drink Smartwater- distilled water with the electrolytes replaced. Like gatorade without the sugar. It goes through my system and keeps me from retaining too much water. I’m like a camel when I drink tap and other waters. Also, I take baths as often as possible, with salts, and this is another very effective way to get rid of excess water.

July 2, 2007 at 10:02 pm
(2) Sierra73 says:

Question: Is that to be 16 oz of Pedialyte and 48 oz of water per day for two days, or is that amoount to be split between the two days?
Can’t wait to try it!
Thanks!
Sierra

July 6, 2007 at 4:22 am
(3) Aneta says:

Where can we find this?

It’s sufficient to just do this two consecutive days? How many times a month?

July 6, 2007 at 8:04 am
(4) AMY says:

I’M GOING TO TRY THIS AS I FEEL AS THOUGH I’M ALWAYS BLOATED.

July 6, 2007 at 10:44 am
(5) Barbieoh says:

I also wanted to know if you drink 48oz over 2 days or do you drink 48oz in one day.

July 6, 2007 at 11:58 am
(6) Cindy-Nurse says:

As a nurse, I fail to see the patho-physiology for this. Pedialyte gives you Sodium, Potassium, and Glucose. All things we get from other sources. Dont see how it can magically work. Some of us can not take in ANY sodium as we swell huge in our faces, eyelids, breasts, belly, legs and feet. Drinking a drink with Sodium in it is not the answer. (where Sodium goes, so follows water) Those of us with medical training know that there’s a Potassium/sodium/water connection. I have tried eating lots of bananas and taking potassium pills to increase my potassium, therefore allowing release of sodium and water…but to no avail. The hormones of the thyroid are WAY TO STRONG as to be affected by little mineral adjustments. We need more intelligent help with our thyroids….good luck in finding it. It’s like the holy grail. I did find some help with my thyroid and am now on Armour but must withstand ridicule everytime a new doctor sees me. My body swelling is half what it used to be, but still is very bad with ANY intake of salt. I am forced to eat nothing but fruit, steamed veggies, and red meat. No sauces, no breads, no pasta, nothing that comes in a can, glass, plastic or cardboard. (even raw chicken has a sodium solution injected in it! read the label) When I cheat and eat a small piece of bread, I take in about 75 mg of sodium and as soon as I drink fluids I start to retain them. All this fluid has enlarged my heart and that is irreversible. I’m smarter than my doctors about it but not trained enough to know the answer.

May 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm
(7) Lily says:

You are aware that you need at least 500 mg of sodium a day I hope.

July 6, 2007 at 12:04 pm
(8) PAula says:

I am willing to try anything at this point…the swelling in my right foot/leg/ankle is awful and the summer heat is not making it any better. I have been craving bannanas…wonder about the potassium connection…I go for the cortisol and seratonin tests today…God bless all of you cause my thyroid sucks.

July 6, 2007 at 6:33 pm
(9) Sylvia H says:

I notice that when I DO eat a little salt it seems to help me relase the water. The key is a LITTLE salt. Also, watermelon seems to help.

So I can see where possibly there may be a connection with the Pedialyte at least for me. I may give it a try–it can’t hurt. :-)

July 6, 2007 at 8:07 pm
(10) Susanne says:

The minerals in Pedialyte can easily be attained from other sources. Rather than reactively fighting bloating, I have [finally] discovered that the key is to not eat the food that causes the bloating. Stay away from bread and eat as many fruits and veggies as possible. Let’s face it; we eat way too much junk –our bodies are trying to tell us something. I’m feeling much better now, but still will blow up when I eat foods like preztels or pizza every once in awhile.

July 6, 2007 at 8:07 pm
(11) Jeannie Q. says:

I am on levoxyl and my sister is on Armour. She experienced much less water retention on Armour (or the generic equivalent) then on other synthetic brands. She had to fight to get it though. I don’t want to have the Pig version and I understand that the beef version is not available as a perscription in the States because of the posibility of mad cow complications although health food stores sell it from New Zealand and I knew someone who got the beef version from Mexico.
My Endrocrine Doctor would switch me to something legal that doesn’t cause water retention if I wanted to switch for that reason but pig is out for me and nothing else is available here.

I actualy can retain less water when I am on a doctor prescribed schedule of taking six tablets a week and off one day. I am currently on a 7 day a week schedule which doesn’t give me that option, except right before recital pictures I went off the medicine for most of that week so I could look halfway okay for pictures and recital. Not recommending anyone does this as I am on suppression theraphy and tested perfect right before so I was able to do that without to much physical stress and I never do that otherwise.
I have Hashimotos Hypothyroidism and only have half my thyroid removed from testing of folicular tissue noduals.
They have better tests now so they don’t have to remove part of the thyroid to test for cancer, but it was big enough to be causing swollowing problems originaly, so glad it is gone.

My understanding is that all thyroid meds that are not animal thyroid are made in a salt base so guess what, if you are on the non-animal version then you are already getting some salt.
The only overall answer I see is drink less water, and make sure you always get 4 times the amount of potassium as sodium in your daily intake.
People who eat many foods that contain a good deal of water need to figure that in to their daily water consumption as it counts too such as watermelon which helps the kidneys.
I would skip the extra salt and glucose as we get plenty of it in food already. I am always hunting for products that do not contain added salt for my mother and it is very much a labor of love as it is difficult to find them. Canned soup is one of the worst offenders for adding salt so look for no salt added versions of those. I don’t eat out much either because the food is so full of salt.
I have low blood pressure so I do it once in awhile.
Regardless of what the doctors and manufacturers claim, the medicine makes me retain much more water than salty foods did by themselves so I wish the manufacturers would find some other way to deliver the meds.
Blessings from above. Jeannie.

July 7, 2007 at 4:27 pm
(12) NB says:

If you want to try taking potassium, you can get the equivalent of a potassium supplement by using salt substitute made from potassium chloride. Raley’s carries it.

July 7, 2007 at 11:48 pm
(13) yvonne says:

Hi, my water retention problems were highlighted when I was travelling in Burma in 2004 and Sri Lanka in 2006.
In Burma I ended up retching inauspiciously on a train. That night I had 7 bouts of fliud clear bowel actions. And no, it was not Delhi belly . I had felt nauseous for a few days and did not understand why.
My medi co refuses fliud tabs a s they really insult the electrolyte system.

However after Sri Lanka I went to india. Pune to be correct. I knew A western Med doctor who specialises in Ayurvedic medicine. It was the best thing I ever did.
I was massaged for 8 days for an hour each day. Had a sauna immediately and had an emena after for 7 days.
I lost 8 kilos in 8 days.
A side ways awareness was that my internal organs were not so tight after the first sauna session. Mentally I felt much better as I am sure I was mentally oedematous.

This water retenetion, with Hashimotos in my case, was a curse. I dragged around like an ox and mentally was slow, but functioning.

Now at home , I have celery sticks as a diuretic and ,even better, kiwi friut, aka gooseberries?

A trip to the sauna is wonderful, and I feel great.

You can check out my yahoo blog. malindimama

Ps I also take vit c powder, mutli vit and mins.
A good powder probiotic with yoghurt before bed. Part of the repair to the leaky bowel syndrome. This one is especially important to prevent the bowel from absorbing bacteria, fungi, viruses etc from the bowel. These cause white blood cell increases in the blood. And with no where to go they attack the joints, thyriod or where ever your weakness is in the body.

Do look at my blog and I hope this has helped you in some small way.
Oh lokk at this site too http://www.dhamma.org

Compassion and love malindimama

July 12, 2007 at 3:42 pm
(14) Godiva says:

Yvonne, I don’t think I want to travel…I don’t think Dehli belly is like a beer belly, is it?

July 15, 2007 at 4:03 pm
(15) kathyj333 says:

I think what this method does is cause you to become hydrated. Your body will often retain fluid in an effort to keep all the fluid it can when you become severely dehydrated, thus, causing you to swell. I know it seems like it would be the opposite, but not so. Once your body fluids are back in balance, the swelling subsides. You may even lose weight.

Even though you can get these things from other sources, when you’re dehydrated they are out of balance. Drinking the solution brings your body back into balance quicker than just drinking a lot of water.

Give it try. It certainly won’t hurt anything, and it may actually help.

March 9, 2008 at 7:55 am
(16) Kristen Dixon says:

As someone that suffers from auto-immune thyroid (hypo), I can tell you that everyone is different with regard to how their thyroid hormones effect them. I’m very prone to ovarian cysts (large, problematic ones) that not only cause me bloating problems, but also cause my hormones to wack out. Additionally, I suffer from low potassium during periods w/ my hypothyroid disease, which causes me muscle weakness and shortness of breath. I take a prescription potassium DAILY. When I forget and don’t have it with me, I drink Gatorade. Mary Shomone is so right about this! This helps me to keep better hydrated and less bloated.

May 8, 2008 at 7:02 pm
(17) Dabomb55 says:

Oh my goodness ladies…it’s been at least 4 years since I last left a comment on the About.com chatterbox…but I’ve been fishing. 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto….boy I had no idea this was gonna be for life…but it is just that. Today I was surfing for answers about the sudden water retention which has come and gone so many times. I am a dancer and had to step away from my classes for a while. What I saw in the mirror floored me. I looked so bloated. I never recalled my Doctor and I discussing the retention but I know now that, even though I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Working that eliptical machine like crazy…I feel so out done with the results. That, being said, I have found a natural way to fight back the retention. I found NutriHealth’s Probiotic to work wonders with the increased active cultures which triggered the bladder to release more water. It worked wonders inside the stomach, and lower intenstine. Perhaps you will find it helpful to you as I have for me. And one more thing. Everytime I have stop to take this supplement. My body became bloated and engorged. Perhaps it will work for you too. Please let me know if you try it and it works….check it out at http://www.nutri-health.com...

June 24, 2008 at 9:36 am
(18) Lisaannes says:

I had a complete thyroidectomy in 2007 for mixed follicular/papillary thyroid cancer and often have problems with bloating and fluid retention. My Endo told me there’s a difference with normal water retention and fluid retention caused by your thyroid, but he never elaborated on the subject. My blood tests show that my Levothroid is at the right levels, but I still have problems with the fluid retention. I would like to try the NutriHealth Probiotic, there’s two kinds, the reg.multi one and multi-women one, which one do you use? I’m willing to give it a try, this whole thyroid thing has sent my body into a whirlwind of problems it seems like and it’s hard to find answers for them.

March 24, 2009 at 2:04 pm
(19) ENRIQUE says:

I READ ALL, I HAVE THYROID PROPLEMS,[ON MEDS]
I STARTED RETAINING WATER, DOC BLOOD TEST ADJUSTED MEDS, AND DIERETICS, BUT I CAN NO CONTINUE TAkING THEM, I AM ALSO ON LITHIUM[DANGEROUS] HELP WHAT WORKS,NEED RELIFE NO

April 25, 2009 at 11:04 am
(20) Mary Mac says:

I delt with hyperthroid now sliding into hypothroid. where i live no specialist in this field but do have a caring MD. I continually gain weight..on no medication YET, have gained over 20#..legs and bottom and top of feet are so sore like big time water retention. I have more blood work 5/6 and will speak of my aches and pains but this thyroid thing sucks! What is your, anyones, best advice? SOS I want to feel good, lose weight. Can’t seem to control a diet…three weeks on then off…. I feel so defeated right now.

July 14, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(21) mpratt says:

Hi Dabomb55, can you tell me what is the name of the supplement? I went to the website you listed but there are many supplements and not sure which one is the one that you take. Thanks!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm
(22) k7129g says:

Have been on synthroid for over 12 years for hypo, have gained, lost and gained weight again and again. Also retained tons of water in legs, ankles. Was taking to much synthroid, tests came back fine. Didn’t feel well, stopped taking synthroid on my own for about 6 months. Went to doctor, had blood test, levels fine, no medicine. Check it out, maybe too much medication. Feel like my old self again. Haven’t felt this good in years!!!

February 12, 2011 at 7:16 pm
(23) anna says:

hi, I was wonderin I started armor thyroid I have alot of energy can’t sleep noticed my neck area a little swollen my tsh was only 3.4 when dr put me on now test is 1.6 not sleeping also very hungry gaining weight. any suggestions? I take 1/2 tablet of 15 mg the lowest and I half that I think i am going to stop.

August 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm
(24) Kim says:

To ‘Kristen Dixon’ – wow I was so amazed when I read what you wrote. I was put on Potassium Chloride 20meq 2 pill, 2x per day after low potassium was blamed form mucsle pain and paralysis. I also have ovary cyst problems. I had been tracking and realized my symptoms of water retention, consitpation, hair being brittle and fatigue, etc always seemed to be the worst at the times around my ovulation and period. My blood work showed confirmed drop in potassium at those times. My T3 hasn’t been normal but no one has been treating me for thyroid problems. This last attack has been tough. Reading all these posts makes me realize I have been right all along and these symptoms are thyroid concerns. It is so nice not to be alone! The only thing I need to figure out is how long should I stay on the Potassium Chloride and if the doesage should be just continuous but maybe a bit lower.

September 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm
(25) Cwilson says:

Hi Kim. I just had to write…because my hypothyroidism was discovered because of my repeated low potassium events. I was on potassium chloride for a while…tore my stomach up…but it never helped with other hypo symptoms. Long story short, was treated for hypothyroid and now my potassium levels seems fine. I still watch it…drink coconut water weekly and take a tablespoon here and there of black strap molasses chased with some OJ. These potassium sources are easy and cheap and don’t wreck your gut. I still have problems with T3 but others numbers ares fine.

Charlotte

August 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm
(26) Shawn says:

This REALLY works! After having my thyroid removed following thyroid cancer, I’ve had a major problem with fluid retention. I tried the Pedialyte mixuture and lost 2.5 pounds in 2 days! I love it because unlike sports drinks, there is no added sugar or calories. Excellent tip.

August 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm
(27) Art says:

Don’t listen to those with “medical knowledge” regarding this suggestion. It really does work! My wife started drinking water with Pedialyte and it did the trick. She lost 2.5 pounds after drinking the solution for 1 day! She has issues with electrolyte balance and this was just what she needed.

August 20, 2010 at 9:40 am
(28) Daniel says:

Mary, can you let your readers know whether you or your associates receive any return for endorsing these products? That would make the decision to buy them a little more clear for me. Thanks!

August 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm
(29) Mary Shomon / Thyroid Guide says:

No Daniel, About.com does not receive any return, and I don’t personally receive any return or income for posting about products in my blog.

About.com — not me — receives advertising income from advertisers, but advertisements on the site are clearly marked as ads or sponsored links.

August 27, 2010 at 12:07 pm
(30) mcd1666 says:

My thyroid was removed 40 years ago for Graves. I too am a Registered Nurse. Most of us who have auto immune problems, have more than one. Have your doctors check your insulin levels, to prevent type II diabetes before it starts as an example. Other things can cause fluid retention and bloat. Many of us also have Poolycyctic ovarian syndrom, which is connected with insulin resistance which leads to Type II diabetis. Add in the fact that we are women, it is difficult to get a good workup. I am also on Armour and had to go from one MD to the next to get it perscribed. Just be careful taking potasium. Too much can cause heart rates to become irregular changes which can lead to cardiac arrest.
Remeber too that those of you who had your thyroid removed for cancer and received radiation and or chemo, had other changes in your body. This is a very individual problem. I too have had muscle aches, fluid and weight gain, depression, lethargie, hair loss, dry skin and the most upsetting thing trouble getting Armour Thyroid. Good luck finding an MD who will listen.

September 16, 2010 at 10:08 am
(31) Gina says:

Wow! Thanks for a great piece of advice! Drinking electrolyte solution really does work! I have subclinical hypothyroidism. I could feel the water retention in my upper thighs, hands, face and around the lower abdomen. My skin just felt “stretched”. I was on a diet and I exercise 5 days a week, working out pretty hard and in a month, didn’t lose a pound! (The Thyroid Curse). Until now, the scales didn’t budge. Yesterday, I drank some of my husband’s powerade and, LOW AND BEHOLD, I lost 3 lbs OVER NIGHT! My body just released it. I feel so much better now. I’m not sure what’s in this stuff that does the magic trick for thyroid patients but who cares? It works! I did notice it contains an equal amount of sodium and potassium, plus B vitamins. Maybe that’s it? Anyway, just wanted to say THANKS!!! :)

October 13, 2010 at 8:33 am
(32) Shaila says:

Hi, I m desperate enough to try anything for my water retention. Just tell me if Pedialyte is available in Mumbai, India. I’ll be so thankful. Yvonne pls give me the address of ur Pune doctor. waiting for ur reply. thanks

October 15, 2010 at 2:41 pm
(33) Mary Catherine says:

I never post anything, I hope I’m doing this right, but Iím concerned and looking for some answers. My Grandmother, Mother, and recently my Niece, all have a thyroid problem. I feel like I’m showing signs of hypothyroidismÖ brain fog with short-term forgetfulness, sluggishness, water retention that comes and goes, weight gain that is hard to lose, muscle aches and generally feeling out of sorts. My doctor did a TSH test and my results come back at 3.26, which he said was normal. Iíve been reading that ďin 2003 the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists suggest that doctors consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.0Ē. Does anyone know anything about this and what normal TSH results should be? Also my doctor said my blood calcium was a little high leading him to believe I might have a parathyroid problem. He wants to wait two months and at that time retest my calcium and also do a parathyroid hormone (PTH) blood test. Thanks in advance for any information you might have, and best wished to all out there suffering!

July 4, 2011 at 2:35 am
(34) Cathy says:

Hi, I hope that you’ve perhaps found a little reprieve since posting this comment. I have been on medication since September of ’09 for Hypothyroidism. I went to a clinic that deals specifically with this disease and what I can tell you is that TSH is not always the most accurate marker. A good endo will also test for T4, T3 and most importantly reverse T3. I had soooo many regular docs come back to me with “normal” blood work until I went to this specialist. Normal is such a wide range in standard medicine. I am also on compounded thyroid medication doing a T3/T4 combo. Of course everyone is different, so you will have to figure out what works best for you. It takes a quite a while to feel better, so be patient with yourself. I’d say it took me almost a year to start feeling Ok. Hope this helps.

October 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm
(35) Sue says:

my daughter wasn’t diagnose for 3 years because those goofy TSH levels always cam back in the normal range. we now believe that she had the antibodies all along but the doc didnt’ check for that because her TSH was normal. You have to keep checking and always be pro-active in your care. your physician doesn’t care about you as much as you do. so read, and learn, and blog andwhatever else it takes to get answers. it is hereditary, I also have Hashimotos.

October 20, 2010 at 7:11 pm
(36) sally says:

I am struggling with the fluid retention like many of you. I have subclinical hypothyriodism and I am taking a low dose of Synthriod. All my symptoms resolved after starting the medication this past May. But for the last couple of weeks the fluid retention and feeling tired has returned but my levels look ok. I am going to try the gatoraid! Thank you.

November 2, 2010 at 5:17 pm
(37) Penny says:

just bought my first bottle of pedilyite, hoping it works, i too am on meds and i feel like my upper belly always looks like im pregnet and it bloats bad after i eat, im not looking for a miracle, but only to get rid of it, plus i already take a duretic, so im hoping, i will post again in a few days to give a update :)

January 11, 2011 at 11:47 am
(38) Nan says:

I tried the Pedialyte formula & it worked!! I LOST 5 lbs overnight!! I think it was all the water in my face & fingers!! I also found that the Smart water is a good solution after eating a meal that may have salt in it or if you are ever feeling bloated. I just switched to Armour thyroid today & am hoping for some great results. I am also drinking Green Tea daily & taking a probiotic, starting to feel a little better.

July 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm
(39) Anjali says:

Hi…is this pedialyte solution still working for you? It stopped working for me after the 3 days…

ANjali

April 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm
(40) GIna says:

Hi Anna. Just wondering if you tried drinking the Pedialyte for your weight gain and did it help? That’s what all the comments are about in this article. Also have discovered that just because we take our thyroid medication and our levels are “normal”, doesn’t mean that those levels are “normal” for each individual. I was diagnosed hypo at a TSH of 1.6 after burning my thyroid out a while back when my level was 0.4. I had Hashimoto’s. I now go to a wonderful endocrinologist who has me taking an iodine suppliment with b6, folate and tyrosine. I also drink something called ecodrink purchased from Costco. Before starting the iodine supp. and the ecodrink, I couldn’t lose weight for love or money! Even the pedialyte stopped working and my body just wasn’t ridding itself of the excess water plus, my energy levels were very low and I was too weak and tired all the time to exercise. What a big change I’ve made! I’ve lost 5 lbs. in a month and my rings fit again. I don’t wake up with puffy eyes and hands anymore. I feel so much better. Check with your doctor folks. You’d be surprised. Even in the land of plenty of SALT, the salt you consume may not be iodized! In my case, I was just iodine deficient. That solved the problem for me.

May 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm
(41) Bloating Like Anything says:

Hi Gina

Did you try the pedialyte? If yes how many days did you take it and how much per day?

any help would be appreciated

June 1, 2011 at 12:41 am
(42) Maya says:

Just a caution for those with Hashimoto’s disease: taking iodine supplements or consuming a high-iodine diet have been shown to worsen autoimmune Hashi’s thyroid disease. Please be careful, do your homework and verify what you hear.

July 17, 2011 at 12:41 am
(43) Anjali says:

Hi..Gina….

What is the name of the iodine suppliment that you take?
So I can discuss with my doctor about this…

Thank you..
Anjali

May 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm
(44) Bloating Like Anything says:

hi,

i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in dec 2010… my endo put me on generic thyroid meds … my original TSH was 3.17 in dec . then she tested me in feb and i was 2.08 .. she increased my dosage and put me on the brand name (synthroid) when i tested again in April i was .02 … so then she said reduce back to .25mg a day… since all this i am so BLOATED.. i want to stop the meds totally .. anyone have any advice on how to reduce the bloating.. its mainly in my belly. also i am trying to conceive hence why they wanted the level low.

Do you think pedialyte will work? if yes then how much do i drink a day .

June 6, 2011 at 10:09 am
(45) cin says:

Hello from Austria

1 month on Armour 1 grain 38 T4 and 9 T3. I felt pretty good the first week on Armour. I will have my first blood work since on Armour in 3 weeks. My doc. is good but is also new working with Armour. BTW: I had to really fight hard to defend Armour get this new medication, since living here in Austria Iíve noticed that the doc. are not too familiar with it and donít want to use it.
However, now Iím experiencing fatigue and water retention I feel like the Pillburydough boy! (tummy bloating and swelling legs) and still waiting to lose the weight, which is perhaps all water weight. I eat well, and know which foods to avoid. I work out 3 to 2 times a week. I have noticed since my switch to Armour that I have to kick up my workouts to get my heart rate up.
So here are my questions: Does Armour cause water retention, fatigue and low heart rate? Could my Armour dose be too low? Has anyone had success with this Pedialyte mixed in powder form?

FYI: My other med. ( Euthyrox (T4) & Liothyronine T3 Triiodothyronine T3) I felt awful and twice developed ovarian cysts, and had to have them removed! (Which never had problems before and not on birth control or any other med.) plus a great deal of hair lossÖ.all the classic symptoms!

Thanks for your posts!

July 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm
(46) Anjali says:

I tried pedialyte solution and it worked for the first week and after that I started retaining water again. Any comments on this one? I am going to try eco drink now.

I also tried probiotic it does not seem to help after first week.GGosh… Thought I had found the solution but it was temporary.

July 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm
(47) brookeheather2 says:

I recently started drinking coconut water with amazing results. Naked makes a pretty good one. It has 60 Calories, 650 ml of Potassium, 65 ml Calcium, and 23 mg Magnesium and only 14 Carbohydrates per serving size. I drink 1 to 2 serving sizes per day depending on my activity level and nutritional intake. My swelling is now minimal compared to what it was.

I have had a medical background for 15 years, and have been Hypothyroid for over 20 years. I take nature Throid with good results. Hope this helps!

regards,
bh2

November 10, 2011 at 11:26 am
(48) john says:

nobody should drink pedialyte. it is an acidic, toxic product that contains sweeteners and artificial sweeteners. as well as artificial flavours.

do not fool yourself that it is good because it contains electrolytes. look deeper.

brookeheather2 has it right and is looking in the right direction, drinking something from nature ie coconut water is WAY smarter.

pedialyte is acidic, acidity is THE foundation of all illness.

look deeper, consume natural, not man-made things!!!

May 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm
(49) Papa says:

I don’t know why any of you are worrying about your sodium intake, the chances are you are getting way more than you already need.
I have been a chef and dietitian for over 20 years and salt is in everything, even breakfast cereal is loaded with salt and sugar (Cornflakes etc)
Do not take in more salt, most food companies use it to extend the self life of products, as one of you mentioned even raw meat (usually chicken breasts/fillets) are injected with a saline solution to extend their life and plump them up.
And if you want more potassium in your diet try eating potatoes as opposed to bananas, they have a lot more in them.
Your diet will control most of your issues as long as you are active as well

May 16, 2012 at 9:15 am
(50) ritesh says:

thyroid problem causing inflamation in whole body & many other related problems ?

follow this homeopathic med.

1. Arsenic :30 , 4tab*twice a day till swelling goes not after that.!

also take

2. Thyroidinum:200, 4tab*once a week (early morning 30 min before meal.) strictly even if you feel good!

pray to god for cure;)

also google it for gluten free foods, goitergenic foods, and foods for hashimoto (if you have ) hypotyroid food list, and hyperthyroid food list, Become vegetarian, avoid junk food.

any queries mail to me at 4all.ritesh@gmail.com.

May 16, 2012 at 9:18 am
(51) ritesh says:

thyroid problem causing inflammation in whole body & many other related problems ?

follow this homeopathic med.

1. Arsenic :30 , 4tab*twice a day till swelling goes not after that.!

also take

pray to god for cure;)

also Google it for gluten free foods, goiter genic foods, and foods for hashimoto (if you have ) hypothyroid food list, and hyperthyroid food list, Become vegetarian, avoid junk food.

any queries mail to me at 4all.ritesh@gmail.com.

June 20, 2012 at 12:21 am
(52) Karma says:

THE ANSWER TO THE SWELLING/BLOATING IS SELENIUM. I STARTED TO SWELL UP AND EVERY TIME I WOULD DRINK SILK THE SWELLING WOULD GO AWAY. SO I NOTICED THAT SILK HAS SELENIUM IN IT. SO EVERY TIME I SWELLED AFTER THAT I WOULD TRY A FOOD WITH SELENIUM IN IT. I KNOW THEY SAY CANNED RAVIOLI IS BAD FOR YOU, BUT IT HAS 20 % SELENIUM IN IT. SO IF YOU ONLY EAT LIKE A COUPLE OF RAVIOLIS AND DRINK EITHER A BOTTLE OF WATER OR 16 OZ OF GREEN TEA WITH IT TO FLUSH YOUR BODY, IT WORKS WONDERS. SO NOW I MAKE SURE TO HAVE A LARGE CUP OF SILK EVERY NIGHT BEFORE I GO TO BED TO PREVENT MORNING SWELL UPS. AND EVERY OTHER WEEK I MAKE SURE TO NOT TAKE ANY OF MY VITAMINS AND MINERALS, NOT EVEN MY THYROID MEDS. I HAVE TO DO THAT TO FLUSH MY BODY AND GIVE IT A DAY TO REPAIR ITSELF. I’M ON ABOUT FOUR HUDNRED DOLLARS WORTH OF VITAMINS AND MINERALS. AND THAT INCLUDES A PROBIOTIC. BUT I ONLY TAKE MY PROBIOTIC A COUPLE OF TIMES A WEEK.

FOR THOSE OF YOU ON SPECIAL DIETS OR FOOD ALLERGIES, YOU CAN BUY SELENIUM PILLS ON VITACOST.COM.

AND BTW MAKE SURE TO SEE AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST AND GET ALL LEVELS CHECKED, INCLUDING SELENIUM.

I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS YOU OUT, AS IT REALLY DID FOR ME.

October 28, 2012 at 8:37 am
(53) mandy says:

Hi,

Just a thought, many of you say you need to avoid bread, cereals high salt foods due to bloating.

I understand the electrolytes thing but if I eat any gluten I swell up and retain water…its not the salt its the gluten…

I actually crave salt but I have adrenal insufficency just been diagnosed and got to get adrenals treated then staart thyroid armour…

Took 7 years to get diagnosed…thanks to dr peatfield I’ve finally got answers :)

January 16, 2013 at 11:04 pm
(54) Kimberly Dean says:

I have graves disease, and was treated with I-131. I am taking Synthyroid and Cytomel (for those that still feel major fatique and experience brain fog with just taking Synthyroid, should take this or ARMOUR – its a T3 supplement to T4). I FOUND A REMEDY TO MOST OF MY BLOATING!!!!! DRINKING GREEN TEA EVERY DAY. However this is somewhat tedious to remember to do this on a day to day basis…..and that is why this brings me here to this site. I will try the pedialite solution since it’s only 2 days out of the week. For those of you that do not know, MARY SHOMAN has written books about the thyroid condition….I have her book, living well with hypothyroidism, AND I WILL BE TAKING HER ADVISE! Hopefully this is more of a long time solution!

January 16, 2013 at 11:11 pm
(55) Kimberly Dean says:

I should add that I’ve been though the entire gamut of experiencing HYPERTHYROIDISM as well as HYPOTHYROIDISM…..I really do recommend GREEN TEA for all those who have issues with bloating. BUT LIKE I SAID, you have to drink it EVERY DAY!

February 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm
(56) Michelle says:

I was diagnosed with Graves disease 17 years ago. I had to have my thyroid removed with a RAI (radioactive iodine) pill. Of course, I became hypothyroid afterwards with the loss of my thyroid. I am on a generic form of levothryoxine sodium.

I do get problems with water retention big time. It’s not attractive, and it doesn’t feel great either when your clothes are too snug and you feel like your constipated. I bloat up so much, people have mistaken be for being pregnant. I’ve had people ask me when my baby is due! When I tell them I’m not pregnant, they’re in shock.

I have found the best way to keep this from happening is to avoid processed foods like TV dinners and anything canned, especially soups. The sodium content of these foods are extraordinarily high. It is best to eat whole, high-quality foods. I limit my sodium intake wherever possible, and I drink tons of water.

Also another thing to consider is the amount of potassium one gets in their diet. Potassium rids the body of excess water. It’s also good for your nerves, muscles and your heart. The ratio should at least be 2 parts potassium to 1 part sodium. Most Americans get a ratio of 1:1 or less in their diet, far below the recommended guideline.

This Pedialite thing sounds like it is worth a try. It has a balance of sodium, potassium and water in it, and the best thing is it’s calorie free.

April 16, 2013 at 3:37 pm
(57) Tracey says:

The second question in this forum from July 2007 is do you drink that mixture over the course of two days or do you drink that amount each day for two days and no one answered it. Could someone please answer it. Thats all I want to know

May 3, 2013 at 9:12 pm
(58) Lana Kalman says:

Look up Wilson’s Syndrome, very interesting.

May 27, 2013 at 11:01 pm
(59) Denise says:

The instructions said drink for 2 consecutive days each week. So in other words…you drink the solution you mixed 16 ounce Pedialyte and 48 ounces of water and drink it over a 2 day period of time (i.e. Monday & Tuesday or whichever 2 days work for your schedule). I’m going to try it but I’ll also speak to my endo about my water retention.

July 11, 2013 at 7:08 am
(60) Bonnie says:

I have been on armour for five years after being diagnosed with hypo. The last 6-7 months my hair has been falling out, my tongue was swollen and scalloped. This all happened after I stopped eating wheat. My thryroid results were fine but my endo increased my armour from 45-60 mcg Daily in march based on my symptoms. Tongue is somewhat better but hair still falling out and mow my hands are swelling. My endo had said I could try a bit more armour but when I do my heartbeat gets irregular. I have no idea whether I am getting too much thyroid or my hair loss and swollen hands are something else. Any thoughts?

July 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm
(61) S knight says:

I have had under active thyroid for about 13 years . I am on 250 mg of armour daily . I retain water something terrible and my hair is also thinning out badly. I have heard everything from you need pottasium to you need more salt to pedi lyte … Selenium…. Ect ect…Has anyone found something that truly works and is there anyone who is on as high a dose of armour as I am? This thyroid crap us for the birds . It kills me how many woman are having this problem why is that? And why does no one seem to know how to truly correct this? So frustrating!!!

July 19, 2013 at 3:53 am
(62) Marsha says:

I have Hashimotos. Severe bloating. Peripheral nerve pain from over active nerves. Muscle aches, etc. I am on Tirosent synthroid, Brain fog and lethargy gone since Tirosent 2 years ago. Just have been having problems with swelling/water retention as all of you. I have gone gluten free, have been drinking Pedalyte a few days a week past 3 months, increased selenium and potassium, but honestly the only thing that helps me is these water pills I buy at Sprouts that have 100mg of potassium, pine bark, uvi ursi. I take it two times a day an feel pretty great.
When I forget, I feel like my legs are tree trunks and when I walk I feel my lower pants running my legs too tight. Really bugs me, then prolonged standing, feels terrible.
I kayak and hike a lot and this thyroid condition really lowers my quality of life and I spend tons on trying everything under the sun to correct it and feel better.
The worst experiment I ever did on myself was drink tons of kambucha tea, I felt like sleeping 24 hours a day, could not keep my eyes open, felt terrible. I tried it for 3 months thinking it was the bromine detox causing that. Then my next to worst experiment was to paint my body with iodine.
My mistake there was i did not supplement it with equal parts of selenium to protect the thyroid. Now I am too afraid to try that again to see if it works with the selenium/iodine combo. A doc I think in Japan did a study on Hadhi’s and iodine this way with much success.
Anyway, I hope my story helps somebody. Being alone in this is hard, unless you have this problem, you could never understand. My doc thinks taking the synth roof fixes everything. Not at all the case. Hashi’s is not a thyroid disease. It is a metabolic disease/immune disorder. Email me if you have any ideas or questions.
Sellerpnthers@hotmail. Com

August 19, 2013 at 4:43 am
(63) Kim says:

I can see why that would help. You crave salt cause iodine helps graves. If your looking for high potassium eat potatoes they ten times higher then bananas. I am thirsty all the time and drink about 80 oz a day graves is very dehydrating so it seems to reason electrolyte replacement would help . My advise to graves patients is don’t let anyone ever tell you how you feel or what works to make you feel better the symptoms for this ailment range from hot to cold diarrhea to constipation exhaustion to high strung no symptom is to out ther to be related to this dieses and no one except those who experience graves can understand how you feel let alone how you should feel! Keeping a diary may help talk to your dr. Which can be trying and down right dishearting sometimes if your dr. Is not listening to you fire them and move on you are the most important ingredent in your care. Love a fellow graves patient

September 13, 2013 at 9:37 am
(64) tania says:

I feel so tired all the time. I’ve always told my Dr. I feel like im holding water. She diagnosed me with hypothyroidism put me on synthroid and called it a day. I don’t like it. I’ve read a lot, is anyone taking iodine. I started 21/2 months ago and it totally took my pain in,my body away. Great! But also read you can’t take too much. I know I’m retaining water, I can feel it, I’m 48,.small frame, Dr loves to blame it on getting older. I know how I feel. I exercise, eat right, do every I should, feel terrible. How did everyone get diagnosed? I’m only.reading about hashimoto, how do I mention this.to Dr? Does anyone take a water pill? This bad? Help!

September 30, 2013 at 8:32 pm
(65) beth says:

I have a TSH of 18.6 Crazy high right. It was 6 when pg a year ago. Put on Synthroid or whatever it is … I hated the stuff. After baby was born I got off it and went on with my life. The last few months I have had bad brain fog, swelling, I look pg still. It’s awful. So I went to the doc. she put me on Armour thyroid. I already notice a big difference. For me yesterday was the first day I didn’t feel bloated. I could put my rings on again. I’m pretty good about this. I eat a banana every day. I also drink Smart Water and or other waters with electrolytes in them. I drink these all the time. I also love Coconut water. So I’m feeling pretty good. You could try these. My friend drinks green tea every day and she is feeling good to.

November 7, 2013 at 1:11 am
(66) chrissyyy says:

Im 24 and have been hypo for about 5 years, had hashis since 14. Had total thyroidectomy in 2010. I am alwaysssss swollen, sore, and uncomfortsble. Last dr took me off hctz saying i don’t need it and that thyroid, when at normal levels, will stop ester retention. I call bs. My life is miserable. I see peole complaining about their levels? My last bloodwork in October was t4 super low at .08 (with refererence range at .82-1.77)… t3 was super low at .4 (with reference range from 2.0- 4.4).. and TSH was 208.2 (refernce range .45-4.5). as you can see, it makes sense why im so miserable. I literally have trouble getting out of bed some days, im depressed, i have no interest in anything at ALL, i dont even want to leave my house. i’m moody, achy, and i feel like people dont believe me or think im just overweight or lazy.. Now, two weeks ago i went back to Dr, and they jumped my dosage from that 50mcg, ALL the way up to 175mcg. Thats an 8 dosage difference. Coincidently, the past few days im having muscle spasms, random aches in my chest, i feel even more tired and achy (didnt even think that was possible!)..

November 22, 2013 at 10:09 pm
(67) VA22101 says:

I heard of this years ago. I only add about maybe 4-6ozs to a pitcher of iced tea (2Qts). Now, I do drink that pitcher in about a day and 1/2. But only 4-6 ozs and it keeps the water away! THRILLED to see my ankles.

This week I ran out for 2 days and didn’t get to the store. My ankles disappeared again and my feet had to be squeezed into shoes.

I know you’re suppose to get at least 500mg of sodium a day. I’m on a 1200 cal diet and average 1500mg (per my nutritionist, this is reasonable). I take Potassium tablets, too. Despite meeting my requirements for sodium and potassium, it apparently isn’t enough. That bit of Pedialyte (store brands are fine, as long as it’s the electrolyte mixture) is great. And, quite frankly, I prefer taking this solution than a water pill.

My doc says (and there’s NIH research to back it up) that there is an association between thyroid function and electrolyte disorders seems to exist, although it is probably only relevant in marked hypo-/hyperthyroidism. Since my Hashi’s is not under control (and I really don’t want to do the radioactive iodine thing), I do bounce between the 2 extremes daily and weekly.

BTW, a nice side effect is that my hear doesn’t flip out and race! For my doc and I, just further prove that I have an electrolyte imbalance due thyroid dysfunction. He says it can’t hurt, go with it.

Pedialyte is an easy solution to an annoying problem.

February 14, 2014 at 4:16 am
(68) Sharon says:

I have been on Synthroid for over ten years now. This past year has been pure hell! I have gained over 30lbs they say I am pre diabetic now. I do not have much of a appetite sometimes I eat one meal a day. My face is so swollen that family members say they do not hardly recognize me. My mother-in-law just told me how fat I am and said my fade is blown up like a fish. I am starting to have blurry vision. I have to go get my bloodwork done and see my Endo. Doctor. I have trouble sleeping now and I just want to cry now. On top of my Hashimoto I have a grandson terminally ill & we take care of my father-in-law with dementia. I want the old me back not this monster I see when I look in the mirror. I was always under weight till my goider popped out. It is either I will have days in bed sleeping or the opposite I cannot sleep. I try to excersise for 10 min. and it drains me. My husband God love him but he is always use to me being Superwoman doing everything but my body is changing for the worst. I am now scared with my vision getting blurry and itchy and sometimes feeling like needles in my eyes. I am praying for all of us!!! Nobody knows the Hell we are all going through on a daily basis. I sometimes think I am maybe a hypochondriac but then I just look I the mirror at the monster I now see and know that I am very sick. My mother had Hashimoto and I am the only child in the family who has this. I am Thankful my brother & sister do not have it. I wish I could hug each and everyone of you cause I sure feel alone and in a endless battle but reading everyone else’s stories I know I am not alone in this and not to throw in the towel!!! It’s fight for your Life!!!

March 31, 2014 at 11:58 pm
(69) Sonja says:

Had hyperthyroidism since 2010 and lost about 50 pounds, got down to 100 lbs, bad hair, heart issues, nervous, no sleep…basically wanted to die. Had my thyroid abated with radiation pill in 2012 felt great for a year. I am taking 75 synthroid. This fall started feeling like crap again. No sleep again, night sweats, hair is dry and brittle and I excercise 7days a week and don’t eat much but have recently gained about 20 lbs in 5 months I currently weigh 130 and I look 9 months pregnate because it is all in my stomach. Dr says my last blood showed levels were too low so he increased synthroid to 88. How long does this take to kick in and what can I do about the bloating. I am also taking potassium and try to limit my salt. My regular GP suggested I try taking Metamucil 3 times a day? Help none of my clothes fit, I am a bitch to live and work with and I want to die!

April 2, 2014 at 2:27 pm
(70) Jennie says:

Thank you everyone for your posts. I have been on thyroid medication for 20 years and often in the spring have trouble controlling my weight. I exercise every day usually jogging and eat no more than 1400 cals per day. I often get confused on “symptoms” since I am post menopause but I have been fighting water retention tooth and nail. I actually think “stress” gives me energy and makes me feel better which isn’t good. I am going to get Pedialite today. I really hope that works. This website gives me hope and direction.

April 15, 2014 at 2:11 am
(71) Rebecca says:

I am Hypo and have Hashimotos. After reading all the comments I wanted to share my experience. Maybe it will help someone. My Dr put me on Synthroid but I wanted a natural not a synthetic hormone. I asked for Armour and never felt quite right (low energy, mood swings, hair loss and weight gain), then found out that a lot of women don’t respond well to Armour. I was put on Naturethroid and immediately felt ten times better. It was amazing…I never thought I would feel better again. I was able to find it at a reputable local compounding pharmacy. Its a natural sourced hormone like Armour but seems to be manufactured better. For some reason my levels are ok know and Dr took me off of Naturethroid and now just trying to find a way to manage my Hashimotos. He did recommend selenium, which I have started taking. I recently read that Hypo thyroidism can cause a deficiency in stomach acids, which could cause bloating. It was suggested to drink 1 TBS of apple cider vinegar in a cup of some other liquid (grape juice)every morning. Don’t drink it by itself or you will burn your throat. Definitely seemed to help so far with stomach bloating. I used Braggs apple cider vinegar. Many of the Dr’s I’ve seen have limited knowledge about how to treat/heal your thyroid. They just wanted to stabilize it (which is good) but then told me I will never feel 100% again and they had no idea of how I could help my thyroid to heal itself and start functioning properly. If you are not feeling good and your Dr. can’t offer any useful suggestions then find another Dr. Ask around constantly for recommendations for a good Dr that has helped others in your area with thyroid problems. Don’t settle until you have found the help you need. Personally, I feel its always better to try to heal your body using whole foods/drinks. I wouldn’t feel comfortable drinking Pedialyte.

May 7, 2014 at 4:58 pm
(72) Spitfire says:

I found this commentary today hoping to find some answers, after being distressed for almost a week now from another serious flare up of my Hashimoto’s. It starts with inability to sleep, then muscle spasms and cramps and then unimaginable bloating. I swell up so big and so fast, I feel like a pregnant bullfrog. It is so uncomfortable that I can barely function.

After reading through every single comment, and nodding my head in agreement and realizing that I have tried almost everything mentioned on here, I remembered an old remedy from childhood for indigestion and wondered if it might help at all.

I keep all natural baking soda on hand, both opened in my refrigerator for odors and for cooking. Please check the label and make sure it does not contain aluminum. This is VERY BAD for you.

If you can get all pure 100% baking soda or organic baking soda, then buy it. I went into the kitchen and poured a huge heaping tablespoon into a cup and added distilled water. Then stirred and drank it all. It taste like crap. Very salty and just gross.

Not even 30 minutes later, I found relief. My body is doing a complete flush of everything in it and releasing all the water (and everything else) within less than an hour.

Thank you God!! Just wanted to share this in case it can help someone else. Not sure about long term use, but in a dire emergency such as mine, it definitely worked.

May 20, 2014 at 8:04 am
(73) candace says:

Wow I’m glad I found this advice I’m so desperate to find anything!!! I’m starting to look a balloon its so bad that it hurts!! I’m in the process of having my heart tested …thyroid blood work is fine so they don’t seem to think blood work would be OK if it was my thyroid…in the mean time I have to try something…I have so much retention that it aches!!!