1. Health

Mary Shomon

Which Thyroid Drug Costs the Most?

By March 28, 2007

Periodically, we take a look at the various thyroid hormone replacement drugs, and their costs. The comparison is based on a typical one-month dosage. For comparison purposes, we used levothyroxine at 100 mcg. daily. According to the conversion chart for levothyroxine to Armour Thyroid, 100 mcg of levothyroxine is approximately equivalent to 1 grain (60 mg) of Armour. Take a look at the prices now.

Comparison of Costs for One-Month Dosage

Synthroid, 100 mcg, 30 tablets: $14.70
Generic, 100 mcg, 30 tablets: $12.43*
Levoxyl, 100 mcg, 30 tablets: $12.22
Levothroid, 100 mcg, 30 tablets: $10.99
Armour, 1 grain/60 mg, 30 tablets: $7.99

Prices as of March 25, 2007 -- Drugstore.com

* ADDITIONAL NOTE: As a commenter to this post mentioned, WalMart and Target offer most generic prescription drugs -- including levothyroxine -- for a flat rate of $4 per prescription. But before you accept a generic thyroid medication, read Should You Be Concerned About Taking Generic Thyroid Drugs?

Comments
March 28, 2007 at 5:17 pm
(1) Gloria says:

regarding thyroid horomone prices: Target and Wal-Mart sell their generic drugs for $4.00. Also, a lot of pharmacies will match Target and Wal-Mart’s prices instead of losing you as a customer. I pay only $4.00 for my Levothyroxine monthly.

March 30, 2007 at 4:57 am
(2) Cindy says:

I take Cytomel 50mg twice a day; it cost me $100 per month. I feel super; therefore, I am scared to change to a different medicine. However, I would love a lower price on my medicine.

March 30, 2007 at 9:45 am
(3) Carmen says:

I found that if I buy a ninety day supply of generic Synthroid at Sam’s, it cost me around $30 with the Sam’s card and no insurance.

March 30, 2007 at 9:47 am
(4) Carmen says:

Sorry– Sam’s club price for 90 day supply of generic synthroid is around $13 not $30!

March 30, 2007 at 11:24 am
(5) Marge says:

I dropped my bottle of levothyroxine into the sink & lost about 5 pills – CVS, where I got them, wanted $20 for only 5 pills

March 30, 2007 at 12:01 pm
(6) Nat says:

I take 4 pills a day of Synthroid.The blue pill has the dye in it and it makes me itch. Each pill is .05 x 4 daily. The cost monthly is $45. My Dr.won’t change me to the generic,why? I saw the sign in Sams that the generic is $4. This would really save me. The Synthroid,even though it’s in the “perfect” range,gives me no energy,and I haven’t been able to lose the weight that I gained when I was switched from Thyrolar to Synthroid. Any thoughts?

March 30, 2007 at 9:28 pm
(7) Judy says:

I have been on a full replacement dose since Thyroid cancer in 1978. 4 grains. I started with Thyrolar and about five years later switched to Armour Thyroid. Would the author or any readers list the current price of Thyrolar?

March 31, 2007 at 6:59 pm
(8) virginia says:

I have a compounding pharmacy make up my thyroid medicine. The pharmacist puts into one capsule both the T-4 & T-3. I don’t understand why Mary Shoman never talks about this method. I like it because I only have to take my cytomel one time a day and it is time released.The only draw back is it has to be rerigerated.

April 1, 2009 at 12:26 pm
(9) Colleen says:

It has been suggested for several years now, not to take GENERIC brands of thyroid medicine.

Just thought that I should share that with ya’ll.

April 10, 2010 at 9:37 am
(10) wanda says:

My doctor refuses to let me take generic thyroid medicine. Has to be synthroid

August 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm
(11) john says:

My doctor wouldn’t prescribe the generic thyroid med so I got another doctor.

December 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm
(12) ninlm says:

Had a total thyroidectomy in September 2012, was put on generic levothyroxine.The worst decision ever. I have suffered horribly.My new endocrinologist suggested that I may be intolerant to generic and put me on Synthroid. The best decision since my surgery. I am starting to feel like a human again.I don’t care about the money. I will pay.Thank you Abbott Labs for making a quality product for the health of your consumers.

May 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm
(13) eddieb says:

Glad to hear you’re feeling better now ninlm. It took my doctor about a year to figure that out. My latest insurance has a high copay for Synthroid so I end up paying the total cost but it’s worth it to feel human.

January 9, 2014 at 11:22 pm
(14) lala777 says:

Hello everyone. I had a total thyroidectomy in August of 2010 and was put on generic synthroid. Went back and forth on the dosage until I thought it was okay, then for the last few months, felt truly like I was dying. Hard to put one foot in front of the other and just sat and cried all the time. (I didn’t know low thyroid could cause the mood swings…mine were uncontrollable.) So, time for my yearly checkup last week, my endo had moved to another state so I saw his nurse practioner…she diagnosed the problem immediately as being the generic synthroid. Test showed my thyroid low, too, so she not only changed me to non-generic synthroid, but upped my dosage. Within 5 days, I’m beginning to feel better. I am so looking forward to feeling good again. I honestly cannot remember the last time I felt really good. Thank Heaven for nurses and doctors that will listen to you and realize the importance of SYMPTOMS not just tests. God bless you all…

May 15, 2014 at 3:54 pm
(15) Lesa says:

Levothyroxine is the generic of Synthroid. After having Graves and now Hashimotos, I take Synthroid. My insurance changed and my cost for Synthroid was about 1.50 per pill. I asked to b switched to levo; my sent, endo and oncologist all advised me NOT to because of fillers. But the cost was just so high for the Synthroid. about two wks later I began having awful symptoms with the generic! I’m finding ways to do so other things to b able to take the Synthroid. God bless u all. Taking meds is a blessing and a curse.