1. Health

Mary Shomon

I'm Thin: Could I Still Be Hypothyroid?

By March 7, 2007

Periodically, I receive an email from someone who is wondering if she could be hypothyroid. She has many symptoms of an underactive thyroid, except she's slender, and hasn't gained a pound. A few of the women have even reported that doctors dismissed their concerns about thyroid disease, saying, "Well, if you had an underactive thyroid, you'd be overweight, so I don't see a point in testing you." Patients themselves may feel that they are slender, so they couldn't possibly have an underactive thyroid.

While I frequently cover weight gain and the connection to thyroid disease here at the Thyroid site, keep in mind that weight is NOT a determining factor for diagnosis. A percentage of patients don't gain any weight when hypothyroid, and, there are even some people who paradoxically lose weight when hypothyroid.

How to tell...

If you're tired, feeling depressed, losing hair, feeling cold, have a low sex drive, or are experiencing any one of the many other symptoms of an underactive thyroid, don't rule out the possibility that you are hypothyroid just because your weight is normal. In fact, make an appointment with your physician, and before you go, review the complete Hypothyroidism Risks/Symptoms Checklist, and take this helpful interactive online quiz now: Could You Be Hypothyroid?

Comments
March 7, 2007 at 11:57 pm
(1) alviarin says:

A cousin of mine was thin, which was probably why her docs had trouble diagnosing her wierd symptoms.

She deterioated rapidly to the point where she couldn’t walk a straight line and even passed out a couple of times.

One doc finally tested her TSH and it came back over 200. Her doc told her “good thing we caught this before you went into a coma”.

She has Hashi’s.

March 8, 2007 at 12:21 pm
(2) Paul says:

I am another hypothyroid person who has lost weight. Yes, we are a minority, but we are for real. Of course, when a person loses weight and they are hypothyroid, there’s an extra good chance they may have adrenal fatigue issues as well.

November 2, 2011 at 12:03 am
(3) diana says:

hey pual, im diana. im 18 years young ive always had issues with my weight and ive recently been notified that i have Hypo Thyroid issue. i feel like my world is ending kus i worry to much about my weight. is it really hard to lose the weight?

November 2, 2011 at 12:03 am
(4) diana says:

March 9, 2007 at 3:20 am
(5) Sandra says:

I’ve got an underactive thyroid, not overweight, the pills are making me very thin… I take eltroxin. I eat like a horse and still lose weight. I need ideas on how to stabilise this healthily.

March 9, 2007 at 4:16 am
(6) Sharon says:

As a hypothyroid woman on thyroid med, I was surprised when my husband, who is a very slender man, who was recently diagnosed with low thyroid. The doc put him on a 1/4 of normal dosage of levothyroxin. He has no predisposing factors at all but does have the symptoms mentioned in the article.

Sandra…when I was first diagnosed, my antibody count was very high (and I was about 40 lbs overweight). I lost 40 pounds when I started the eltroxin. But after 2 years, there were no more antibodies. I then stopped the eltroxin, but tests showed that there was no thyroid hormone being produced and I had to resume taking eltroxin. After 4 years on it, I began to gain weight, and 6 years later, have gained back 30 pounds. I think the thyroid gland is still producing hormone for a while before it finally quits. That would make your metabolism too high. Enjoy it while it lasts!?

March 9, 2007 at 6:07 am
(7) Pat says:

I and two of my cousins are hypo thyroid. Runs in the family.My Grandmother was as well, and was also very thin. I’m the fattest one of the lot at 118lbs. ( female, 5í7Ē) Because itís in the family and my cousins had been diagnosed first. it only took my doctor 6 months after my symptoms set in to test me. He thought I was too thin to have a thyroid problem. Big surprise.

We are all within healthy weight parameters so we have not needed to make an effort to controll our weight specificaly. We have struggled with constipation, spastic colons, and food allergies however.

Personally when Iím not digesting well I donít eat very much. Maybe this contributes to why I stay thin although my weight doesnít fluctuate very much no matter how much I eat or donít eat. Same with my cousins.

Yoga has helped me and my cousins. The breathing exercises especially. Practicing the breathing exercises daily seems to help the body function in a more consistent manner. This is something the meds didnít seem to be able to do on their own. I donít understand why this works, but it does.
Before yoga I felt like I was on an autonomic roller coaster. For instance, I never knew how my body would react to a 70 degree day. I might sweat like crazy or freeze, there was no way to predict how I would react. With yoga I can self heat up or cool down by different breathing techniques. The more I practice these techniques the quicker my body responds, itís almost automatic now.

I have wondered why thyroid problems are not treated like diabetes. Tested daily and the amount of meds adjusted to the state the body is in at a particular time. I know that some stressors cause me to function less well and I feel as if Iím not getting enough meds. Other times I feel as if Iím getting too much. But as I said however, the breathing practices do seem to smooth out most things.

Any one else have this experience? Has anybody ever thought about regulating the amount of meds we take like one regulates insulin? Or would that only add to the problem?

March 9, 2007 at 6:29 am
(8) Mary says:

Paul mentioned adrenal fatigue. Iím new to this site. Does anyone know if there are studies on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, adrenal fatigue, and hypothyroidism? It would seem to me that the prolonged high cortisol and other stress hormone levels in PTSD sufferers could easily cause adrenal fatigue and thyroid disfunction. The info on this site mentions stress, but not the prolonged and specific stresses of extreme psychological trauma. Could treating the adrenal function and thyroid problems alleviate some of the symptoms of PTSD?

March 9, 2007 at 7:09 am
(9) Antonia says:

Hi, Pat,
Well I have thought, myself, how wonderful it would be to just be able to regulate thyroid dose from day-to-day. This way, if I wanted to take an all-day hike to the top of a mountain, I could provide myself with the extra energy resources to do this without suffering the next few days from depleted thyroid hormones. However, it cannot work this way, for this simple reason: thyroid hormone builds up in the system over a period of 4-8 weeks, and we would not feel a significant difference from day-to-day by just taking more or less. I’m on Armour, and because that has T3 which lasts a shorter time in the body, I do notice a difference with that from day-to-day if I change the dose…But then I’m also changing my T4 dose at the same time, which I don’t know is very good, to subtly alter the long-term dose my body is on over the course of the 4-8 weeks…This T4 dose is what provides my stability and comfort level.

If I could function well on just Cytomel, that would be WONDERFUL, because then I could change the dose daily and see a big difference! But I know I need direct T4 supplementation, just from having had recently to ADD T4 to my Armour and seen fantastic results.

It’s a wonderful dream, though!!

March 9, 2007 at 9:17 am
(10) Carrie says:

I am 5’5, 125 pounds. Not thin or fat just normal weight. I was this weight when diagnosed. I do have to work to maintain this weight. I also just found out I am insulin resistance. My doctor said I didn’t really have anywhere to go much weight wise, so it’s in my genetics for sure – my mother had type II diabetes. Sometimes I am surprised that I am having to deal with these conditions, because I have always exercised both aerobically and with strength training, and eat fairly well. We just never know what we will be handed.

March 9, 2007 at 10:13 am
(11) Paul says:

Mary, you asked if there are studies on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, adrenal fatigue, and hypothyroidism. The answer is ‘yes.’ A google search on the words ‘PTSD’ and ‘adrenal’ will find them. Studies have shown that there is a definite connection. Your other question about whether treating adrenal function and thyroid problems could alleviate some of the symptoms of PTSD is an interesting one. I had some abusive experiences throughout my childhood. As an adult, I have had to use stress management techniques, as well as practicing meditation, to learn how to relax and breathe. I have also been involved with various kinds of counseling and psychotherapy over the years. Currently, I have a doctor who is treating me with NET to address psychological issues related to my health. Of course, everything is connected between the body, mind and spirit. Helping one helps the others, and vica versa. I believe we need to address all of the components together in order to be truly happy and healthy. (And somehow manage to live our lives while doing it! :^)

March 9, 2007 at 10:27 am
(12) Cherie says:

This is me. I was diagnosed by my doctor 7 years ago and I am a thin woman. I had increasing headaches and muscle aches. I was also going to bed by 8 PM. I thought it was because I was turning 30 and “getting older”. My thyroid replacement was a very low dose. However, I will never forget the evening I first took it. I was very hesitant to take medication. I do not like the idea of taking any medication. I took it right before bed and within a half hour I felt blood flowing into muscles in my back and neck. There was an immediate sense of relief. For the past 7 years my thyroid has fluctuated wildly. My doctor allows me to test myself whenever I feel it getting low again or too high. I can always tell because the head aches and muscle aches return.

March 9, 2007 at 11:13 am
(13) Lindy says:

Mary

When I was diagnosed postpartum (years ago), my weight close to normal, 138 pounds, although I had completely lost my appetite and was only eating a few bites of food a day. I felt HORRIBLE, and had that deathly pallor look — no glow whatsoever. I had lost my muscle tone and seemed to have jiggly cellulite everywhere. When I was finally diagnosed, my TSH was 260. At the time I had no goiter. I was anorexic due to severe loos of appetite, which happens with severe hypo. And didn’t lose one pound — my weight crept up slowly. If doctors REALLY DO LISTEN to their patient, they should be able to figure out this one. Most people lose drastically lose weight if anorexic, not creep up slowly. It’s NOT NORMAL. And they don’t look like ghosts, either. Walking dead people, almost.

March 9, 2007 at 1:03 pm
(14) Bernadine says:

My son who is 26yrs. has hypothyroidism. He was born with only 1/2 a gland. He has been on synthroid all his life. He has always been under weight,he is a slim young man, but also has other signs as well. He is always cold,some depression at times,has some fatigue, good appetite though,but eats small meals,he wishes he could gain some more weight. There are not too many men out there with this problem of low weight. Hopefully reaserch will continue and get better. Thanks, a concernd mom.

March 9, 2007 at 1:08 pm
(15) Sophia says:

I got Graves disease when I was 17 and put on over 40 pounds in a year. I had been very athletic and just finishing up high school. I was sick for a whole year before I was diagnosed. Doctors thought it was some sort of teenage depression… because most hyperthyroid people lose weight instead of gaining. Of course I had all the other extreme signs but nobody paid attention. Unfortunately we didn’t have the good internet information at that time.

March 9, 2007 at 3:03 pm
(16) andrea says:

Thanks for bringing this up, I wish some (more?) docs would read this site.

So far Ė who knows whatís to come Ė I certainly belong to those who lost weight. Iíve always been slender and could eat lots without gaining. Then I completely lost my appetite, could have gone without food on some days and started eating very, very little, because I thought if the doc says everythingís okay, Iíd better listen to my bodyís signals of (no) hunger. So I lost 10 pounds (almost 10% of my initial weight!) going from a BMI of 18, 8 to 17 over the course of four years.

My doc dismissed this as some kind of psychological eating disorder (even though in various blood tests my TSH was over this new limit).When my TSH finally crept up high enough last november he diagnosed me with hypothyroidism (the hashimoto part I figured out via the internet and showing the test result to a new doc), the one thing he told me was that I didnít look like a hypothyroid person Ė too young (23) and too thin Ė and that none of the things I was complaining about could be connected to thyroid disease.
I only found out via the internet, especially this site, about the symptoms of hypothyroidism and that I had a lot of them.

In the three month since starting a T4 med I lost four more pounds because Iím still just not hungry at all and am starting to feel really bony.

Itís interesting to read about a possible connection to other hormonal issues, because one of the blood test showed high cortisol four years ago. The doc told me that it wasnít of any importance and that I just had too much stress Ė which wasnít true at that point. Now Iím not sure anymore whether I should believe him.

March 9, 2007 at 6:03 pm
(17) kim says:

I’ve always been thin, even after being diagnosed with Hypothyroid & Hashimoto’s. Since getting on the “right” dosage of Armour and Levoxyl (I take some of each), my weight has fluctuated up and down over the same 5 pounds, but other than that, that’s been one big symptom I haven’t had.

What I’ve found with my diet is that some foods just react strangely with my medication. I’ve had to pretty much give up wheat (although I do cheat now and then). Not because I have a wheat allergy, but because my naturopath suggested that, with some people, the hormones they use to process wheat can encourage the Hashimoto’s to act up, or react poorly to Levoxyl. Has anyone else heard this?

Anyhow, now when I do eat wheat, I definitely notice the difference: dizziness, mood swings, fatigue, cold/hot spells etc.

March 10, 2007 at 6:58 am
(18) Debbie says:

I had hypo symptoms for years and any doc that I visited said the same thing; “you have all the symptoms but you’re underweight so you can’t be hypo”. I finally found a doc that ran some different tests, as well as testing with kinesiology. Once I began the Armour Thyroid treatment, my whole life changed; many other health issues vanished and I began to gain weight as well (a good thing!). I subsequently took all three of my thin daughters to the doc (with the same symptoms) and they were diagnosed as well. They have all noticed a major difference in their overall health now that they are being treated. Every time I visit my doc, I thank him for literally saving my life!

March 10, 2007 at 8:51 am
(19) Nicole says:

I am living proof that you can be hypothyroid and slim. I am 5’4 and 106 lbs. after having two kids in a row. I was diagnosed with hashimotos thyroidits right 6 months after having my second baby. I was really confused to how i could have an underactive thryroid and be so slim. But i did, it was underactive enough to cause real concern with my doctor and i was also feeling pretty sick at the time. So if your slim and you believe you could be hypothyroid. GET CHECKED. Not just your thyroid levels but your autoimmune anitbodies too.

March 11, 2007 at 9:14 pm
(20) Linda says:

My 16 yr old daughter became quite thin after not feeling well for for awhile. She was 5’6 and weighed 93 lbs. After a fainting episode she was taken to the ER and the docs suggested anorexia although the docs said that she did not have any of the “classic” symptoms of anorexia. She was given an IV for some fluids and sent on her way with a pat on the back.

I followed up with her primary care doctor who ordered a bunch of blood tests including a glucose tolerance test. The labs came back fine.

My daughter was getting sicker and sicker and had been back to her doctor several times.

At this point in time she was very weak and totally exhausted. She was missing a lot of school because she was sick and very fatigued.She complained of what she called “brain fog”. She was having a hard time remembering things.

We had been to see a pediatric endocrinologist twice without any luck at all.

At the suggestion of a friend I took her to a different primary care doctor who really took a lot of time evaluate my daughter and to truly listen to her. This doctor was very concerned about my daughter’s condition. This new doctor ordered more tests. He even ordered tests that he said he usually did not order for a person of the age of 16.

The doctor called me a few days later and said that he had the answers to what was going on and to make an appointment to see him. My daughter had a severe case of Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. The doctor said that he had never seen thyroid antibodies that we as high as hers were for her age. My daughter was treated with Synthroid and Toprol for the heart palpitations.

My daughter is now 18 and feeling well. She has gained weight (119lbs) and has her Thyroid levels and antibodies monitored on a regular basis by an adult endocrinologist and continues to see the doctor that took the time to listen to her.

I now have my active ,happy, healthy daughter back and as a parent I am so relieved. I was determined to get an answer.

None of the doctor that we had seen early on ever thought of any type of thyroid disorder. They jumped to the conclusion that she must be anorexic.

As a parent of a sick child you must persevere in finding the answer.

March 12, 2007 at 11:34 am
(21) Jenilee says:

I was one of the lucky ones, in that, despite the fact that I was only fourteen and weighing 110 lbs, my thyroid problems were caught by my general doctor, who noticed my TSH was slightly out of the normal range (at the time). However, I have had other doctors insist that I must be mistaken about being hypo, and not hyper, because of my weight, plus the fact that I developed it so young. I agree with Nicole’s comment- if you suspect you might be hypothyroid despite being slim, insist on being tested. (Funny thing: around the time I became symptomatic, I gained a few pounds, much to my doctor’s delight, who had always found me too thin.)

March 12, 2007 at 2:57 pm
(22) Jan says:

Before I started taking thyroid hormone in the 80s I seldom could get my weight over 100 pounds and I’m 5’8″. My blood tests were within normal range, but I talked my doctor into a trial and for the first time I actually began to gain weight.

In 1993 my doctor at that time took me off thyroid because I was running a low grade fever (turned out to be Epstein-Barr) and he thought any chronic fever was hyperthyroidism! I started peeling off weight and eventually got down to 65 pounds with congestive heart failure. As soon as I started taking thyroid I gained weight again and my heart normalized, but I almost died because of their ignorance.

If in doubt, and if your tests are low normal range, you can always ask for a trial of 1 grain or 60 mg and see what happens.

Jan

March 15, 2007 at 1:23 pm
(23) Nana says:

I have also been very thin all my life. Even though I had all the symptoms of hypothyroidism my primary physician didn’t even bother to tell me that my TSH is borderline. She waited for another year, when my TSH jumped to 5.2 only then she realizes that I might have hypothyroidism. I have always had hard time to gain weight, but I definitely feel better with medication. I don’t know why it is so hard to find information about being underweight and have hypothyroidism. Most of the books and articles talk only about how to lose a weight. I wonder if our nutritional needs and care should be different from those who are struggling with weight gain issues?

March 16, 2007 at 7:31 am
(24) melody says:

I just had to put in my two cents on this one, Im a hypothyroid sufferer myself, and Im 5-3 and 115 pounds, I always thought in my head that hypothyroidism was mainly a disease for over-weight people, oh was I wrong, one morning I awoke to a puffy face and swollen feet, I thought in my mind I was dying of some strange disease, so I went straight to my doctor where I was checked out, blood-tests etc, and it was attributed to having hypothyroidism, so it goes to show you dont have to be over-weight to have this disese.

March 16, 2007 at 11:13 pm
(25) sue says:

I went to my doctor 15yrs ago feeling at deaths door. I was weighing a meagre 38 kilos and seriously thinking I was anorexic. This was when I became acutely aware of my hypothyroidism. I’m currently taking 175mg & 200mg on alternate days. I now weigh 42k(h:164cm). This fact is extremely frustrating as I feel like I’m forever shovelling food down my throat striving to reach “my” ideal of 55k’s. I get really offended “now” when people comment on the lack of meat on my bones. Trying to tell folk that my tyhroid problem creates the same dilemma in me as it does an obese person trying to get the weight off – comes with many a suspicious stare. I have regular checks on my levels, yet in spite of being v/ careful with my meds, my levels are up and down all over the place. HELP — ITS DRIVING ME NUTS…..

March 18, 2007 at 12:27 pm
(26) PR says:

Same story as those above, i laid in bed for 5 months eating and LOOSING WEIGHT!! I was 19 at the time and 5’3″ and borderline 100 lbs. Even after 3 years of meds, i only fluctuated between 98 and 102 the most.
Now all of the sudden, i got hypoglycemic and have to eat all day to last without crashing. Needless to say, i gained 20 lbs…i never was this big in my life!! I dont know which is better, needing to gain or loose. I think they are both as bad. Noone every understood when I told them how hard it was to not be able to gain. Just started a higher dose of meds, so maybe I’ll be able to stop eating so much… Im praying!!!

March 20, 2007 at 11:35 am
(27) claudiasmum says:

“My doctor allows me to test myself whenever I feel it getting low again or too high. ”

How do you do that? My symptoms are constantly up and down and I would love to be able to regulate my medication myself.

On the weight question, whenever my TSH levels are high, I feel very tired and eat lots of sugar to stay awake (I don’t drink coffee but guess this would have the same effect) – at the moment it’s doughnuts, awaiting my test appointment – and it’s the doughnuts making me put on weight, not the hypothyroidism itself!

March 21, 2007 at 8:26 am
(28) Susan says:

I had the opposite problem, so I thought I’d share. I was severely hyperthyroid and gained weight.My TSH was .005 ! I was extremely tired and hungry all the time. My endocrinologist said the weight thing can go either way for people. Some lose when hypo, some gain with hyper. The norm is gaining with hypothyroid, but not necessarily. I have a friend who is tiny, tiny ,tiny that is hypothyroid.

March 26, 2007 at 3:47 pm
(29) Fanta says:

I go the Naturopathic route and there are ways to support the thyroid and feel well without adverse side effects. Nature has a way to make sure the body has enough iodine without hurting or working against itself. My tests showed that I was normal but I felt really crappy most of the time. The doctors wouldn’t order further thyroid tests because there was no indications that I needed further help. Instead they gave me antidepression medication although I knew that this was not the issue. My naturapathic doc. treated me for thyroid and I feel like a million bucks. No side effects!

February 25, 2008 at 11:22 am
(30) Amy says:

I went to the doctor for weight loss and throat pressure when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I’m generally 5’5″ 110 lbs and had dropped 5-6 lbs. I think I just wasn’t eating enough which I attribute to the absense of appetite and mental fog I felt like I was in. I’ve been on meds now for months and while I’ve put back on my weight I still haven’t had even a twinge of hunger in 8 months. I just eat when it is meal time, but I do miss my hunger.

August 16, 2008 at 11:49 am
(31) rose says:

Thank you all for comments. Have just been diagnosed with and started treatment for hypothyroidism. Have always been slim and have actually lost weight in past two years while eating more. Have been worried that there might be something else wrong as most info out there deals with hypothyroidism and weight gain. Feeling relieved now that I know it is not so unusual.

September 9, 2008 at 7:06 pm
(32) Navica says:

WOW! I am 5’5″ and i weigh 94,96 lbs the most, i had a primary care physcican who i would complain to about my weight being too thin, but he would just say im fine, and i just need to eat more or its just my metabolism. Well i got very frustrated with that so i changed my primary care physican, who tested me and found out my THS level was extremely high and now im being treating with hypothyroidism im taking synthroid but i keep felling sluggish, tired,…ive been on the meds for abt 2 months but i havent gained any weigh…ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!! EH. when will i gain weight??????

May 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm
(33) Shannon says:

I have hypothyroidism and I am very thin. I barely weigh 100lbs and thought that this was the reason. I wonder if I should expect to gain weight when my med takes effect. I also have really bad irregular heartbeats that I was tested for by my GP and she said it was these supraventricular premature beats. I asked and she said it could be my thyroid. She went ahead and prescribed meteprolol a beta-blocker. Maybe it will help.

July 26, 2009 at 10:20 pm
(34) Jessica says:

Hey there. I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and I am 16 years old. I weigh about 125lbs. I havent got treated yet but i will be very soon. in August of 2008 (last summer) my family had noticed that my eyelids didnt follow whenever my eyes looked down. At the same time that happened, my hair started to fall out. A doctor diagnosed me with Alopecia Areta (a hair loss disease, that i could possibly go bald). So we went to doctor appointments and I had everything tested.. but it showed back that my thyroid was fine. We didn’t know what the problem was. I had MRI’s and Cat scans.. you name it! Everything came back normal. We went to doctor appointments right after another and every doctor kept telling us the same thing, “We don’t know whats wrong.” I was really worried and didn’t know what to think. Within the year my eyes got MUCH worse and MUCH noticable. Finally at the end of June 2009 we had another doctors appointment 2 and a half hours away from where I lived. They thought I could have Graves disease, but they werent 100% sure. Once again I had another blood test there, and in the middle of July 2009 they called saying my thyroid is EXTREMLEY low. They diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism and they are now on the search for a Thyroid doctor closer by to us. A year later my thyroid decided to show that it wasn’t working properly.. very weird! But I am happy because hopefully my eyes will go back to normal, and my hair will grow back. I also hope I won’t be as tired as i am all the time. Going on the medication I am a bit scared because I dont want to gain weight! Like I said Im about 125lbs, so Im pretty slim. When I start the medicine, will it increase my appitite? Because I have read that people gain weight on the medicine and Im just nervous! I hope to LOSE weight if anything! Thanks :)

April 12, 2010 at 4:42 pm
(35) Casie says:

Hi, I am 20 years old, 5’3″ and 104 pounds and was diagnosed with hypothryoidism after dropping 10 pounds out of nowhere in high school. I eat a lot everyday and never gain weight. I don’t understand how I have hypothryoidism because no one in my family has thyroid problems. However, I have an intolerance to fish (I always throw up about 6 hours after eating it and have my whole life). I don’t think I am allergic to iodine, but my grandpa is and also cannot eat fish. So my question is:

Do fish allergies and thyroid disease go hand in hand, and does anybody else have this problem?

June 9, 2010 at 1:16 pm
(36) kauser says:

i am having hypothyroid from my 4th class, i was thin throughout my childhood and teenage but from exactly 3 years i have gained weight i am 25 now my body is not exactly fatty but its more like very muscular. i think thats because of hormonal imbalance. my question is can we reduce our muscularity , can we appear lean again.
anyway yoga is very good .

August 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm
(37) cathy says:

This is for Fanta….what did your naturopath give you? I have had a bad reaction with agression 3 times when trying synthroid. Cytomel gave me diarrhea every day for 4 months before I finally stopped on my own (the doctor said that couldnt be causing my problem). My thyroid goes up and down on its own. It was triggered 2 times after pregnancy…both time after 4to 5 months my TSH spiked up. Both times it goes back down on its own (highest TSH was 149). Now it is pretty much 3.5 but will sometimes jump to 5 or even 10. My first anti TPO test was over 5,500…but a couple years ago had gone down to 300. I should get it tested again. I have not been feeling well and my symptoms flucuate…I am extremely thin (5’8″ and 115 lbs), have extreme anxiety at times, itchy skin that turns into raised bumps if I scratch and “jumps” from area to area on my body. My cholesterol was also very low….110…which the Dr was surprised because with low thyroid he said it is usually too high.
Anyways…I would love to hear about any more natural or even homeopathic options….I feel like I am at my wits end and these problems are exhausting me and my family!!
Thanks!!

October 20, 2010 at 4:51 pm
(38) Stephanie says:

I’m 5’5 and 110 lbs and have hypothyroidism. So yes, you can be thin and have this disease.

November 24, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(39) TJ says:

I was diagnoised with hypothyroidism right after my daughter turned 1. I was feeling sluggish, exhausted easily, depressed,etc. Whatever dose they put me on initially, I gained like 20 lbs. in 3 months. I was like GREAT! I had always been pretty slim and small boned. Well, the dr. said that was not right, and I was on too strong of a dose. They adjusted it, and again I returned to my skinny self. Even skinnier. I am now 48, 5′-2″ and weigh 98 lbs. No matter how much I eat, which is not much, I do not and cannot gain a lb. Makes me so mad. I have been on .075 now for 14 years. I hate it.

December 13, 2010 at 10:44 am
(40) Rae says:

I am 22yrs old, 5’3 and 103 lbs and have been diagnosed with Hoshimotos Hypothyroidism. I am now on a 125 microgram dose of synthroid for the rest of my life.

January 23, 2011 at 1:46 am
(41) susn says:

I have hypothyroidism and am very underweight. I had to stop taking tyroxine as it stopped me eating completely. Doctors don’t understand that this can happen and are unsympathetic. I cannot see the logic of giving someone that is only 7 1/2 stone an appetite suppressant! I have the option of not taking them and dying of heart failure or taking them and slowly starve to death with my organs all shutting down. I felt like I was being poisoned !

January 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(42) Ang says:

I am hypothyroid and thin, my mother had thyroid cancer, all
five of her sisters had thyroid problems and had to have goiters
removed. Both of my cousins had their thyroid removed. We all suffered from severe heavy periods and got endometrial ablation. My TSH level is 14.76 and am taking 50mcg of Levothyroxine. It definitely helps with fatigue, still battling with being cold. I heard there are studies on taking L-Carnitine with thyroid pills, supposedly to strengthen muscles that grow weak over time from hypothyroidism. I have low blood pressure – not high blood pressure like alot of people have with hypthyroidism.

June 3, 2011 at 4:05 am
(43) James says:

I was diagnosed yesterday with hypothyroidism, I have been very tired and depressed but instead of gaining weight I have lost a fair bit. I am 168cm tall and weigh 50kg, but all my muscle tone has just been lost, as I was toned from 4 days of football a week, have now lost of all of it. What does it mean??

July 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(44) Nilda says:

Hello. I’m 36 years old, 5’5″ tall and weigh 105 lbs. Two years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I’d been experiencing an alarming combination of brain fog, memory loss and coordination along with heavy depression and fatigue. At night I felt that I wasn’t breathing properly and that my heart was beating irregularly. Fortunately, my gynecologist had my thyroid tested. My TSH was, at its highest, recorded at 48. I was urged to go on Synthroid. I’ve steered clear of over-the-counter and prescription drugs for the past ten years and wasn’t prepared to start experimenting with a drug that the body gets hooked on and may need for the rest of its life. I began researching alternatives to Synthroid along the natural / herbal / lifestyle route and came up with a combination that worked for me. I began to incorporate seaweeds into my diet, as per recommendation of herbalist Ryan Drum (his reports on thyroid disorders are online). A lot can be done with diet. There are foods which stress the thyroid in a hypo- state and foods which support it. I began taking Eleuthero ( also called Siberian Ginseng ) for my low energy and as an immune system tonic. I took St. John’s Wort for depression. I stopped staying up past midnight–I started going to bed at a regular hour and making sure my bedroom was dark. (Our endocrine systems are adversely affected by so much artificial light.) I tried to lower stress levels in my life, which had been making my thyroid condition worse. I improved over a period of several months; my symptoms pretty much disappeared. Now, two years later, they’re back, but I can see that I’ve let my lifestyle habits go astray. I’ve been staying up very late using the computer, and having irregular sleeping and eating habits in general. I might like to try Armour Thyroid, but I’ll need to find an experienced doctor / naturopath who can support me in that. Thanks for reading my story. Please know that no matter how bad your feeling, your health can improve.

August 2, 2011 at 7:34 am
(45) Alicia Grantham says:

I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid 2yr ago (by a practice nurse-i saw 3 days a Throid consultant 3 days before who did notl) I was on Propranol and Carbumazol for over a year then had Radio Active Iodine. Left for 4.5mths without any thyroxcin i became desperately ill. In hynsight this with me during my pregnancy 2000 i suffered bouts of ill health during then after (i may not be fertile anymore either) I poss. have had it in my teens too, friends have always considered me hyperactive. I had a large adams apple since my teens turned out to be a huge goiter, graves disease an a sever case of hyperthyroid.At 35yrs I was less than 7stone i’m 5’6.” I was immaciated.I also have a muscular skeletal connective tissue disorder through which I dislocate-herniate discs and joints.
I use Morphine patches 7days/wk but felt like a junkie. I lost confidence, social skills, friends, and felt suicidal (psychiatrist said medical issues where to blame-depression was an emotional response)
I’ve had Thyroxcin replacement for nearly 2 years-1st putting on masses of weight on my legs only, couldn’t physically cope with movement ( got no support with and became immobile).
Im currently loosing body mass again, was size 12 nearly an 8-my ribs show- i have no fat to protect bones or organs; test say i apparently need more thyroxcin though, so ive been put from 200-225. In the meantime my heart races when standing still-(heaving bussom effect) I feel sick and have little appetite-though eat v.healthy. Tried to take a multi vitimin this morn. heart started to race and i felt like it was stuck in my stomach-i was violently sick and overheated intensly, nearly phoned999.It passed. Some days I feel like death is just round the corner-I’m not depressed but feel unsupported. The Gps keep changing info to suit symptoms I have-surely there’s a better way of treating this conditions and the patients. Thanks for reading my blurb, if anyone has a similar story to mine or advice please reply.

October 13, 2011 at 6:27 am
(46) Siri says:

I have hypo as well but do not use meds
Instead I use glandulars which work very well. Studies have shown that Meds can make it worse. However some
Have such a bad thyroid they may need it. I went to see a enzyme specialist and she is amazing when it comes to supporting the thyroid. She is NOT a Doctor but my Dr referred me to her cause he trusts her work and results with treating hypo thyroid naturally. Main thing for us hypo people is to eat at least 75 Gr protein daily, no processed foods, no sugar, raw dairy (pls don’t reply if you think this is unhealthy-I’m not going to debate this topic since in USA the FDA things it’s unhealthy to drink raw milk but seems perfectly fine adding food coloring and corn syrup in our kids’ lunches- raw milk is pure, has natural antibodies and tastes amazing). Anyways I am not losing weight but my mother is, rapidly. So that’s why I am checking this post out.

October 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm
(47) aseret says:

I have read the comments hoping to find some encouragement that my 80 year old mothers weight lost is due to her having hypothyridism – at least we have a starting point

December 25, 2011 at 6:08 pm
(48) toni says:

Hi everyone. I’ve recently been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, and since then have been researching it, where I came across this forum. I’m 19, and only a size 6, and worrying I’m going to lose weight on the new medication, is there anything that could prevent me losing weight other than th obvious eating more. Also I suffer from severe hair loss, will this stop with the tablets? If anyone could help I’d be really grateful, as I don’t know much about underactive thyroids or the medication. Thanks

December 27, 2011 at 10:43 am
(49) Al says:

Im 27 year old male, 5′ 9″ 155 lbs. I’ve always struggled to gain weight even with lots of strength training. I have high systolic blood pressure, stomach problems, and anxiety. My girlfriend tells me my hands are always cold. I also have brain fog, memory problems, and decreased drive. I thought I had hyperthyroidism and I tried taking Bugleweed along with diet changes to slow the thyroid; however, recently I found out my grandmother who has always been skinny is taking Levothyroxine for underactive thyroid.

Is anyone else experiencing high systolic blood pressure while skinny and hypothyroid?

March 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm
(50) lil says:

hi i have hashis and am very thin. never hungry and always so cold. i keep trying to find the right diet but when i google hashi diet it is always for weight loss. i do not need to lose weight but i need to know what foods to eat. i have a mostly organic and cut my dairy down 95% and only eat fish for meat. bake with non glutin but still get some -out in the world bread etc. what should i avoid.
also the doc said it may be my a

April 25, 2012 at 9:51 am
(51) Carla says:

Hi there, reading this thread with interest. Have just been diagnosed with underactive thyroid, haven’t felt well for years but even more tired and low mood since having my daughter 5 months ago. Have always been thin and since a child have had rapid pulse.So really I expected it to be overactive. After doc spotted a goiter I had tests, so now am worried about the effect the medication might have on my already low weight and rapid heart rate. Has anyone had rapid pulse with hypo? Bearing in mind mine is naturally fast anyway. Sorry if I’ve not articulated this very well.

August 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm
(52) Noname says:

Hey carla, I am concerned also, I was just diagnosed w/ hypo. And I am 5’2 and 95-97 lbs varies everyday. I have an extremely high metabolism and have to eat all the time if not I feel like I will die. I haven’t started my medicine yet, b/c I am going to the cardiologist b/c I have been complaining about the rapidness of my heart rate and intense chest pain. I will be planning to start meds tomorrow morning since they said its best in the morning on an empty stomach, except i don’t know how i feel about that. But i will be going to the doc in two days for my results on my heart palpitations. I will be sure to ask the doc if this will make it worse.

December 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm
(53) Tina says:

I was diagnoised with hypothroidism 4 years ago.I DIDNT EVEN KNOW i had it but i was tired allthe time.i read where it said you would gain weight .that isnt true at all for me…..i am on medication and feel great…

January 24, 2013 at 8:26 am
(54) Nancy says:

I was pretty thin when diagnosed. I gained about 10 pounds when my TSH went up really high, just before being diagnosed, but I was still considered thin. 5’4″ 128 lbs. After starting synthroid and getting on the right dose, I lost those 10 lbs without trying.

January 7, 2014 at 11:58 am
(55) Courtenay says:

I suffered fro hypothyroid (I am very thin) and adrenal fatigue until I started hair mineral analysis and NUTRITIONAL BALANCING!!!

drlwilson.com will fix all of your problems!!

January 31, 2014 at 7:08 pm
(56) betti says:

i am 29 years male, thin and can not gain weight few month ago come to know i have hypothyroidism with 9 tsh so yes thin people can have hypothyroidism ssooo better to ask docs

May 11, 2014 at 12:48 pm
(57) Julia says:

I too have an underactive thyroid gland and am bemused that I cannot put on weight. I weigh 8 stone (I am 5ft 5) and struggle to keep weight on. I eat more in my early 50′s than I did in my 20′s, lots of cream and butter and search for the most calorific foods in supermarkets. I wish there was more information about putting on weight.