1. Health

Mary Shomon

Headaches and Migraines: The Thyroid Connection

By December 19, 2006

There's no question that thyroid disease can be a headache, but did you know that it may actually cause headaches? Our Headaches and Migraine Disease guide Teri Robert, who is also author of the excellent book Living Well With Migraine Disease and Headaches, has put together a helpful article on the coexistence of thyroid disease with headaches and migraines.
Comments
December 22, 2006 at 6:27 am
(1) Anne says:

Oh my goodness, how I THANK YOU for this article!!!

I shall also include some of its contents, (AND the url of course) in my own blog today in my wonderful Yahoo 360 Land.
I have friends on there that suffer as very much as I do. Some more. Some less. But I always said there IS a connection, and now you have verified it for me! THANK YOU again.

On a very interesting note, since I have a tendency to vomit with my headaches; I have recently had a few teeth that needed to be pulled. (No $$$ for the root canals that might have saved them).
My 1st painful trip to the dentist brought up a VERY interesting piece of knowlege that nobody had ever told me before…

When you vomit, NEVER BRUSH YOUR TEETH IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARD!!
To do this only forces the stomach acids to below the gum line where they ‘eat’ your teeth.
Instead, rinse your mouth with plain warm water until it ‘tastes’ normal again~ (I think depending upon what you have had for dinner; this would be about 10 minutes)! hehehe
And only THEN should you brush!!
Oh please include this warning in ANY of your articles about migraine!
At least my barfiness keeps my waistline halfway decent… (As if there’s anything comforting about barfing)!

So now you get to include tooth loss in your articles as well.
And for myself, that is very sad… yet I DO know always there are worse things too.
Have a joyous and pain~free Christmas/Holiday/New Year… (and whatever else might be applicable to all)!

XOXO
Anne

Please include my URL to my blog, perhaps one of your readers may be wanting to check this out there too.

I thank you again!

December 22, 2006 at 11:03 am
(2) Kim says:

Hello. I was diagnosed with thyroid disease in 2000. I stopped taking Synthroid after one year. In my case, Synthroid caused horrible headackes and a whole list of other problems. Maybe your meds are causing your headaches.

Thx
Kim
Feel free to w/b

October 8, 2008 at 3:21 pm
(3) Kim B. says:

I’m getting migraines on the synthroid. What are you taking instead? Thanks.

June 10, 2009 at 12:28 am
(4) Angela Jennings says:

I am writing due to the fact that i have had a long history of thyroid disease.. i am 34 and i got diagnosed with thyroid disease when i was 8 years old…i had 3 kids and i was faithful in taking my pills…until i was 25 then i did not take them…i have not taken them since…and i am paying for it now…i have so many health problems..but i do not have health insurance so my kids will probably not have there mother around for graduation…i love my family but i can not afford it…if anyone is reading this please help i want to see my babygirl graduate..

November 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm
(5) just a man says:

Do meditation daily in the morning and evening – with positive visualization.. this can help

read some of the books by Deepak Chopra

January 23, 2010 at 1:12 am
(6) rqc says:

Dear Anglea,

I just read your comment and wanted to know if you have had a chance to get any medical help. I wish I would have searched the right thing to see your post a lot earlier.I was diagnosed with thyroid and I am personally am taking natural medicine. I would have never believed they do any good but I have seen it for myself with my own family members. They were on very strong medications and had horrible health complications. They are now doing great. In three months I will know how well its is doing, but I do feel great! For your own info please go to infowars.com..its is shocking what the gov. does to its own people and how we actually got sick in the first place. I would like to help however I can, if you still need it. just respond to this comment.

January 27, 2011 at 9:16 am
(7) stephanie says:

Hi :) I was just diagnosed with a Hyperthyroid…I am 25, can you please tell me what natural meds you are taking, because I would love to do this the natural way rather than being on bad meds forever, If at all possible! thanks :)

July 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(8) maurice says:

I have been on thyroid medication for 2.5 years i have massive headaches after every meal my doctor tells me i am not a diabetic with and a1c of 4.9. but i have headaches all the time and stiff mucles, i am only 30 and have had to go on disablity because of the anxiety and headaches, my doctors are trying to put me on antidepressants don’t do it, it will hurt your thyroid more, the reason i have a thyroid problem is because they put me on cymbalta for 2 years, i had massive headaches and i was always cold, then i told my doctor i was going to stop taking cymbalta because it made my stomach burn all the time. and i was unhappy because the economy is @#$%^ beyond repair, and i work in banking were they just keep cuting are pay, so i stoped 2 weeks later my legs swelled up and i was tired all they time my thyroid had just gone out. in feb of 2009 now i have liver damage from the cymbalta, all i can tell you about thyroid meds, is you will have to take them all your life, i don’t know how you cant if you stop taking them you will have heart problems, and your cholestoral will go throw the roof. that will cause major health problems. all i know is the medication i think is giving my insulin spikes because i get massive head aches after every meal. i am only 31 and this really sucks, every person i know with thyroid problems complains about bad headaches.

February 23, 2010 at 6:15 am
(9) Leslie Watson says:

Hi! I haven’t been taking thyroid medicine for a few months and have been having headaches lately. What is it that has helped you so well.
Leslie

September 22, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(10) Shelia says:

I have been diagnosed with hyprothyroidism and take synthroid. I have taken the medicine for about 9 yrs. All the while just having a minor headache or two. Well know my head feels like its going to explode. The dr sd she would have to see if my thyroid is causing headaches. Well I sure hope so. I cant work when I eat with a headache I vomit. Somebody plz help!!! I cant take the pain anymore!!!!!!!

February 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm
(11) Mike says:

Hey, have you done any significant research into vaccines and chemical toxicity resulting from them and the connection between migraines? Check out naturalnews dot com and search their site for articles on vaccines – they have MANY – and they are very very good and very enlightening. I strongly suspect that the overall chemical cocktail of vaccines, mercury, formaldehyde, and the viral contaminants and more are responsible for my migraines, and hypothyroidism… that plus the fluoride in the water which is a chemical waste product to make you docile and complacent, and cancerous, not a mineral for your teeth… for which it is only proven to have topical use, no benefit ever shown for ingestion…

February 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm
(12) Mike says:

Also I was in south america recently and had a migraine and I was so delusional I forgot which bag I put my normal paracetamol + codeine tablets in, so I sent for some migraine pills (specifically asking for anything with codeine, which converts to morphine in the body, not very healthy but when you get the real bad ones, you don’t give a rats behind). The chemist apparently didn’t have any with codeine but gave me something else with some kind of chemical derived from niacin – my spanish isn’t great and they only gave me two which I took. They made me very high, laughed my ass off then made me very sad – weird as – but the pain went away better than the codeine normally does – next day I felt great not groggy… Then I found on Mike Adams site that many migraine sufferers claim taking Niacin between 10 – 150mg at the onset of migraine get the “niacin flush” which is like a strong hot flush but stops the migraine – flush lasts about 10 minutes. Check it out let me know if anyone knows more. I haven’t tried it but seems to be a connection between high dose of this vitamin and migraines also.

October 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm
(13) tayyaba says:

i am 30 yrs having diabetiies ince 7 years ,, throid since 1 year , having one baby ceserian , i have lots of problem ,, now a days i have headaches ,starting midnight or some time in the morning , it is very bad pain …. i want to relieve .
i have disc slip problem also, L4 ,L5
any one guide me what i will do? for my headaches

September 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm
(14) DR says:

rqc – what natural remedies are you taking? also, what was your diagnosis? your help is appreciated.

I have classic symptoms of hyperthyroid and awaiting blood test results…the head feeling like it is going to explode at times is unbearable.

thanks
DR

October 8, 2012 at 10:17 am
(15) April says:

Some times for my headaches I take Naproxen Sodium. At times that I feel like my headaches are so bad and that I want to pass out, but afraid to lay down, because the pain gets worse, Along with wanting to throw up, I have taken ibuprofen and nothing happens. After about a hour and a half the Naproxen is like I was a new person ready to take on the world.

January 12, 2013 at 4:04 am
(16) Lisa says:

Hi there
May daughter has had severe migraine since the age of 6. It has gotten worse as she got older. She is 16 now. She takes 1.5mg of pizotifen each night. And occasionally sumatriptan (imigran50). We have hypothyroidism running in my family, but it jumped me. Until I saw this and other blogs on the links with these I never put 2 & 2 together. She has many of the hypothyroidism symptoms, but we just thought they were caused by her medication. She always feels the cold, sleeps on average for 12 or more hours if we lether: Falls asleep in school: has bad mood swings: menstrual problems and more. Should I be asking our doctors for blood tests to rule out hypothyroidism?

January 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm
(17) ashraf says:

Lisa you should ask for TSH , T4 and T3 blood test as seem it is not migraine issue it is tyorid issue

January 25, 2013 at 9:10 pm
(18) Sheila L says:

I began suffering from Migraine headaches at the end of 1998 and fought with them 24/7 for 6 years. I worked with a lady from Kansas City Holistic Center and my hormones (Estrogen, Estriol, Estrone, Testosterone, Progersterone, and DHEA) were slowly balanced and brought to a normal level. I’d had a complete hysterectomy in 1991 and my hormones were depleted. That included the thyroid hormone which also had to be balanced.

In 1997, I began gaining an enormous amount of weight. I was running and treadmill an hour a day, 6 days a week and my weight was going up! I was placed on Armour Thyroid in October, 2000 (and I immediately dropped 50 lbs.) to December 26, 2102 when I had my entire thyroid removed for Papillary thyroid cancer. As soon as the thyroid came out, my migraines started up again GANG BUSTERS in the hopital! I have been kept off all thyroid meds for the last 4 weeks because of my impending RAI (Radioactive Iodine) abelation on January 29th. I now get a brutal migraine around the same time every afternoon and have been living on Zomig 2.5 mg 2 or 3 times per day the last 4 week (the only migraine medicine that works for me!) I have been told until the RAI is over and I’m back on thyroid medicine of some kind, I will have these miserable headaches and will be unable to balance the rest of my hormones which would relieve the headaches.

I believe these headaches manifisted themselves when my thyroid went hypo around 1996. That;s where all my problems began! God help me if I have to live like THIS for the rest of my natural life! I can’t function AT ALL!!!!

July 16, 2013 at 3:50 am
(19) mom says:

My daughter got some sort of illness around 3 years ago and has had chronic migraines ever since… high cholesterol and liver enzymes, hair loss, weight gain, etc. All of her pediatricians said nothing is wrong – problems are caused by weight gain; she’s depressed. At that time her TSH was low and her free t4 was very low.

I ran across an article the other day that said that subclinical hypothyroid can be associated with migraines – especially chronic migraines that don’t respond to medication. I had her thyroid rechecked and it was now, finally, by the new standards, subclinical hypothyroid. Two days after her first thyroid dose her headaches ended and haven’t come back. She’s a new person. (She takes Armour)

July 20, 2013 at 12:55 am
(20) esuarez says:

hi my name is erika i have had thyroid since three years ago i have always batle with this headaches that are really bad like if my head is about to explote and everyone dont believe me they just say that i am faking it but truly i am not i need help what can i take to feel better i am just 22yrs old and i want to feel better…

April 7, 2014 at 5:45 am
(21) debra says:

Since i been taking synthroid 112mg. Ive been having real bad headaches and blurred vision is there any help it lools lime im trying to control one problem ending up with another