1. Health

Mary Shomon

Can Your Hypothyroidism Be Treated Naturally?

By November 9, 2006

You may wonder if there's a way to deal with your hypothyroidism "naturally. " I hear this question frequently from readers. To answer the question, the first step is defining what you mean by "natural."

For some patients and practitioners, treating hypothyroidism naturally means prescription thyroid treatment -- by using natural desiccated thyroid drug, such as Armour or Nature-throid. These prescription drugs are naturally derived from porcine thyroid, but these are FDA-regulated, prescription drugs.

Others view natural as meaning a treatment plan that does NOT include a prescription drug, but is developed and overseen by a trained practitioners, such as naturopath, holistic physician, Traditional Chinese Medicine expert, or herbalist.

Finally, there are some patients who view a natural approach as treatment they themselves can find and carry out on their own, without practitioner guidance.

So, let's take a look at these three options...

Natural Prescription Thyroid Medication

Desiccated thyroid is a thyroid drug derived from the dried thyroid gland of pigs. Common brand names include Armour Thyroid, Nature-throid, Westhroid, and Biotech. These are FDA-regulated, prescription drugs -- not to be confused with over-the-counter, non-prescription thyroid glandulars that you can buy at the vitamin store.

Natural thyroid is an alternative to levothyroxine -- a synthetic thyroid drug -- which is more commonly prescribed.

Desiccated thyroid is sometimes maligned by traditional doctors, and levothyroxine is favored by many conventional physicians, but many holistic, complementary and older physicians are comfortable prescribing and managing patients on natural thyroid drugs.

For more information, you may want to read Armour Thyroid and Thyrolar: Alternatives to Synthroid and the Other T4-Only Drugs.

A Holistic/Alternative/Complementary Treatment Approach

In more than a decade as a patient advocate, and as someone who personally has an interest in trying to incorporate holistic approaches into my own health care, I've had the unique opportunity to interview hundreds of practitioners. Many of them might be characterized as "alternative" or holistic, including naturopaths, herbalists, chiropractors, acupuncturists, Traditional Chinese Medicine doctors, holistic MDs, homeopaths, and many other types of experts. I have always asked them the same question: can you "cure" thyroid problems naturally?

I always get the same answer.

For a percentage of their patients, mainly those who started with a borderline or mild problem case of hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, they were able to relieve symptoms and get them back into a normal profile, as far as blood tests, after extensive treatment. Typically, most of the alternative practitioners I've interviewed have reported 9 month to two-year timelines for those patients they successfully treated.

Even with a lengthy treatment timeline, hypothyroid patients almost always needed to take "traditional" drug therapy. The practitioners then gradually wean patients off the traditional drugs, as thyroid balance was restored.

But the practitioners all cautioned me that it's not a sure thing. Rather, it's a complex process, it almost always takes quite a long time to see results, and most patients find it difficult, if not impossible, to follow the vitamin/supplement/herbal regimen, mind-body practices, lifestyle changes, and dietary restrictions necessary to achieve success.

So, does this mean there's no hope? Never say never! If you have a mild or borderline thyroid problem, you may want to investigate going for a remission or "natural cure" of your condition, under the direction of a knowledgeable alternative practitioner.

We know, for example, that there are natural supplements that may help the thyroid, and even help calm the immune response -- selenium, for example. And Drs. Richard and Karilee Shames have recommended The Top Five Supplements for Thyroid Support.

And even if your thyroid problem is not mild, alternative practitioners may be able to recommend approaches to support your thyroid, immune and hormonal systems , which will allow you to take less medication, get better relief of symptoms, and deal with persistent symptoms that may not be relieved by medication.

For an example of an interesting and thoughtful alternative approach, read my Thyroid Disease: A Natural/Herbal Perspective: Interview with Shasta Tierra.

Self-Treatment

Can you head on down to the local health food store, pick up some supplements, make a few dietary changes, and fix your thyroid problem yourself?

Probably not. Since it's hard for even experienced alternative practitioners to sort out the complexity of a thyroid imbalance and treat it naturally, it's even more of a challenge for the average person. There is also the risk that your condition will get worse.

And with hypothyroidism, treatment can prevent the condition from progressing (and causing weight gain and atherosclerosis along the way.) And untreated or undertreated hypothyroidism can cause infertility, endanger pregnancy, or cause other hormonal problems, such as erratic menstrual cycles or difficult menopause.

Be especially wary about costly supplements marketed all over the Internet that tout themselves as thyroid cures, or suggest that they are an alternative to prescription thyroid medications. Not only do these supplements not contain the missing thyroid the body needs, but there are often ingredients -- such as iodine -- that are known to actually worsen thyroid conditions in a subset of people.

* * *

Mary Shomon, About.com's Thyroid Guide since 1997, is a nationally-known patient advocate and best-selling author of 10 books on health, including "The Thyroid Hormone Breakthrough: Overcoming Sexual and Hormonal Problems at Every Age," "The Thyroid Diet: Manage Your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss," "Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know," "Living Well With Graves' Disease and Hyperthyroidism," "Living Well With Autoimmune Disease," and "Living Well With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia." Click here for more information on Mary Shomon.

Graphic: Istockphoto

Comments
November 10, 2006 at 6:58 am
(1) Linda McRae says:

As stated, be very careful to use a natural medication to treat your thyroid. I had hyperthyroidism a condition discovered in 1987. At this time, I was losing weight, no matter how much I ate. I was having heart palpatations, etc. I was running around with the speed of light, until I got really sick. I was treated with med’s to regulate for several years, then I was given radioactive iodine to destroy the thyroid that was inactive. I now take a supplement everyday. A few years ago a doctor recommended that I go off my assigned treatment and be treated with the new natural med’s. I tried this and got really sick, my thyroid levels were all out of whack and I had been getting worse instead of staying inbalance. I am back on my levothyroxine and I am doing well. If it is not broke, don’t try to fix it! Just a comment from a person who knows their Thyroid!

July 8, 2011 at 11:56 am
(2) loola says:

Wow! Same thing im going levothyroxine always was better for me but i want to try natural alternatives.

November 26, 2011 at 6:21 am
(3) Vanessa says:

This is good to know, I was thinking about an herbal alternative, but then I looked at all that was available, and it seemed they would probably work on people who had a thyroid, but an underactive, over active, or non active one. I was born with out the gland altogether, so I think I better stick to the levothyroxine I’ve been given all my life. Thanks for the input.
Vanessa

November 10, 2006 at 4:00 pm
(4) Tricia Lawrence says:

I have the same condition with the thyroid but have not really gone to treat the problem because of financial contraints. Having read your page I now realize that I am at serious risk and have no alternative to put aside some of my reponsibilities and deal with the problem. My health insurance doesn’t cover the treatment because I had the problem before I started the job.

I thank you for laying out everything so clearly. I am going through all the advance symptoms and now have a small but visible bulge in my neck which gets bigger when swallowing. I must admit that I realize this problem a year after my child that’s five years ago.

I am going to sort it out before it is too late. Thanks again for a very well written explanation and guide.

November 24, 2006 at 4:34 pm
(5) Jan Armstrong says:

I enjoy getting such good advice abut my thyroid. I am being treated for BiPolar Disorder and was wondering if certain meds for that can affect my thyroid – I take Littium 600.mg/ and 2 other meds

April 21, 2011 at 9:32 am
(6) Karen Poor says:

STOP TAKING LITHIUM!!! It raises your calcium level to dangerous levels- I was hospitalized with heart problems due to the lithium and it was killing me. I am now on perphenazine and even though I sometimes feel manic I am doing better physically. I do not want to go on another med as I have had severe side effects from Abilify, Seroquel, and Depacoat. I may have had a stroke from the Seroquel- was on the floor for 20 mins. with slurred speech, and had fainting spells often. I am on temazepam to sleep, and as long as I get a night’s sleep I’m ok. Stress does not help- I lead a laid back life on disability and no longer worry about feeling like a freak being bipolar. LET YOU FREAK FLAG FLY!!!

December 18, 2006 at 6:35 pm
(7) Virginia Cannon says:

I am a med. tech and have preformed thyroid testing for many years. Early testing was done by using PBI values that dealt with iodine contamination. As we have transitioned into more specific testing, I have implemented many of the tests into the lab testing regimine. My sense is that we have a large population that has some form of thyroid disease and we are using this abnormal population to establish normal ranges independently of symptomology thereby having a far wider reference range than it should be, probably for all these types of tests.
This is specifically related to the TSH reference ranges and for several reasons.
Another issue that I do not see addressed is that any form of hormone replacement, including birth control pills, alters the values for T4 and T3 values invitro, thereby the need for FTI values. What it does invivo I do not know if we have determined. However, I think it alters the thyroid binding sites.
TSH testing was designed to normalize these values and access data from another direction. It, however, measures the ability of the pituitary to detect the presence or absense of thyroid hormone, not necessarily determining what the thyroid is doing. Given many of the population have taken some kind of hormones, from many sources we are not even aware of, it would be expected we would see altered values and questionable testing.

I personally have been addressing the hypothyroid issue for 4-5 years or longer. I tried the Wilson’s syndrome protocol without success. I think it finally totally crashed my thyroid gland because of the high doses of T3. I would not recommend it. I have used compounded T4, T3, and Armour in various combinations. The combination was never quite right either testing numbers wise or how I felt.
The physician I see always looks at the free T3 and free T4–the active thyroid hormones, thyroid antibodies, as well as standard testing.
He also uses the cholesterol values as a means to determine function and necessary replacement as these values too are altered as the thyroid hormone is being replaced.

My chiropratctor, who does energy work, tested Naturethroid on me with positive results. Within a few days I started feeling better. When I started on it I have a very hard time finding a pharmacy that either knew about it or stocked the product. As an option to Armour, compounded or the standard Levoxyl/Snythroid common prescriptions, I recommend a look at this. The web has information regarding this more natural way to replace this hormone.

Some additional comments: I think most the of the antidepressants, etc. act like estrogen and affect what is happening with the thyroid. Given the number of people taking these medications, I believe we are seeing more and more patients with symptoms, disease and altered testing due to treatments for other diseases. All these organs cross interact and impact each other. We certainly need more study and perspective regarding how these medications and replacements work.

March 1, 2008 at 7:18 pm
(8) Linda Oliver says:

Where does ARmour get its pigs for their thyroid. I’ve been on it for 7 years, but have concerns about CHINA. Just today more information has been in the news about pharma’s coming out of China and China’s pigs have had some health problems.
Linda

August 12, 2011 at 9:45 am
(9) Patricia says:

I called Forest Pharmaceuticals to find out country of origin for the pigs used in Armour Thyroid. It is the U.S.A.

September 16, 2008 at 2:13 pm
(10) Jessica says:

Tricia – Treating hypothyroid issues is VERY inexpensive. If you go to a clinic that works with a cash discount or has a sliding pay fee, your office visit will be $25-100, if not free. For levothyroxine (very common synthetic hypothyroid med) it is $15 for a one month supply– (Mine is $9.50 when using my crappy insurance) and many pharmacies have the $1 generic deal which it falls under. You can also apply to have it for free by the manufacturer or many other assistance programs. So go get yourself taken care of. There is definitely a free medical clinic you can utilize no matter where you live, but they are more common in Urban areas. Good luck!

November 28, 2008 at 9:58 am
(11) Richard Keene says:

Dear Mary Shomon,
I was recently referred to a Board Certified Internal Medicine & Nephrology Kidney & Hypertension Dr. My Parathyroid Hormone blood test reading was 94 and the Dr. prescribed Zemplar (1 MCG capsule ABB), Upon doing some research on DrugDigest.com, the side effects (since I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and a heart condition) are exactly what I have been trying to alleviate for years and the exclusion of many of the supplements I’m taking are to be avoided. (magnesium and the diuretic for example along with Vit. D3). The side effects would seem to far out way the benefits. If you have any opinion on this I would appreciate any input you could give me.
In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving,
Richard N. Keene
Edgewater, Fl.

March 13, 2009 at 11:20 am
(12) Di says:

I have been using Standard Process Prolamine Iodine for a couple of years in place of synthroid and it seems to be doing the job. Anyone else out there using it or familiar with it?

Would love to hear what you think . . .

March 26, 2011 at 7:31 pm
(13) R. Jankowski says:

Could you email me with your recent results using Prolamine Iodine from Standard Process? I see you were using it in 2009. Are you still using it? Did you have any bad reactions? I have used many of SP supplements and have actually used Prolamine Iodine on and off. They like you to build up slowly so I was wondering what was your dose? I have a low thyroid that showed up using a Basal Thermometer for 4-5 days in a row in the morning. that is supposed to be a very good test.

March 20, 2009 at 6:10 pm
(14) Catherine says:

I refused Levothyroxine and have experimented with alternatives for the last 2 years. I have been taking sea kelp, L-tyrosine, Selenium, Rhodiola Rosa for about 9 months – the last blood TSH was normal and my Dr. said what ever I am doing is working keep doing it!

January 14, 2011 at 8:09 pm
(15) Connie says:

How did you determine how much of each? I have nearly all of the symptoms for hypothyroidism . . . would like a non-medicine approach. Afraid of the side effects. Advice?

January 29, 2011 at 11:34 am
(16) Diane says:

Hello Catherine:

I just had an exam and my bloodwork shows a TSH 3rd gerneration of 7.5. My PA is ordering a free T3 test. I go to her Thurs. and I’m sure she’ll suggest a script med.
I read your post from March 2009 and am very interested in learning more about your long term results with the alternative products. I too will likely refuse any script med and always shoot for the natural products first, but it’s tough finding a holistic practitioner around here. I find docs are too willing to write scripts and I do not want to participate if a holistic approach will fix the problem…it’s worth the wait to me.
Can you tell me if you are still having positive results and be more specific about what you are taking and the dosage?
Thanks!

September 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm
(17) brenda says:

Did you ever get information regarding this and how is it working?

July 4, 2011 at 6:37 pm
(18) marilyn says:

I took the route that you took! I couldn’t get any relief using synthroid. I stopped going to my endocronologist as all I was doing was feeling miserable and lining his pockets. I started on kelp and, WOW, what a difference! My family practitioner also told me to keep doing what I was doing as my levels were back to normal….something that didn’t happen with synthroid.

July 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm
(19) Judi says:

how much kelp?

September 16, 2011 at 11:20 am
(20) Jason says:

Hey Marilyn,

Thanks for your post… I just posted a similar comment about kelp, that I was confused, because this article stated that iodine was bad for you, but yet I have always been advised from my mother (family thyroid issues) to take kelp. So I was confused after reading this article. Thanks for your post, your positive results reassures what I thought and was doing. All the best to you!

September 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(21) brenda says:

Do you still takke the synthroid?

March 27, 2009 at 6:44 am
(22) kelly says:

Catherine: Can i ask your age approx?
I’m 25, been 55kgs for years, but have some heart problems e.g: pulpitations, irregular beating, shortness of breath. I’m getting blood results next week to see about my thyroids etc. I dont want to use drugs but have to wait and see.

May 8, 2009 at 9:59 pm
(23) Allison says:

Catherine,

I’m interested in the what you’re taking. What kind of dosages are you taking for each and how did you decide on these things? I’m very new to this and still learning! ~ AH

— “I have been taking sea kelp, L-tyrosine, Selenium, Rhodiola Rosa”

May 22, 2009 at 1:01 pm
(24) mk says:

hi catherine,’ refused Levothyroxine and have experimented with alternatives for the last 2 years. I have been taking sea kelp, L-tyrosine, Selenium, Rhodiola Rosa for about 9 months – the last blood TSH was normal and my Dr. said what ever I am doing is working keep doing it! ‘how did u determine what &how much to take?

June 8, 2009 at 12:17 pm
(25) carol Kaufman says:

I have hashemoto’s been on armour for many years and have chronic insomnia, palpations and latley I am having other side effects, my Dr tried synthyroid and other thyroid drugs on me but they were worse, I went off armour for 2 months and slept like a baby and no palpations or other side effects, I tried natural bovine thyroid and iodine etc: but eventually I had to go back on armour because the effects of hashemoto’s were worse than the side effects of armour, I guess I have to accept that I will never have a normal life again, becasue chronic insomnia ruins your life, I have been to natural Doctors but they have not been able to help, sleeping pills do not work on me, have tried many brands, is there anything out there that can really help? armour is the only drug I’m on. Thanks. Carol.

September 25, 2010 at 2:45 am
(26) chrissy says:

I would consider going on a gluten free diet. It has helped me alot

June 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm
(27) Elisabeth says:

Me too. I’ve been gluten free for 1 year now and am sleeping better. I’m also not as cold as I used to be. Still having issues with week muscles though and hoping that with time it too will resolve :)
Gluten free is the way to be!!

November 2, 2011 at 7:42 pm
(28) Simona says:

Stress is a huge factor …it affects Thyroid big time…go on amaozn.com and order PEACE OF MIND MEDITATION by BERNIE SIEGEL MD…and do it every day…we need to quiet the mind…busy brain affects our health…we need to connect with the inner world of peace and love…let go for 30 min a day of the crazy world…that in fact we create thorugh our thinking process…love you all…

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm
(29) Dany says:

Hmmm – I am confused:

I would truly like to know how come that Ms. Linda McRae who says has a HYPERthyroidism is taking her levothyroxine
and I – who is HYPOthyroidic for many years am Also taking levothyroxine (as a generic instead of synthroid)

So this levothyroxine is some type of a “wonder pill” if it works on every type of thyroid disease…??

July 12, 2009 at 5:39 pm
(30) Thora says:

Read again what Linda McRae says. As I understand it, she had hyperthyroidism first, then was treated with radioactive iodine to destroy the thyroid. She then had to go on levothyroxine to be treated for hypothyroidism.

July 18, 2009 at 6:57 am
(31) Trevor says:

I think Ms. Linda McRae, means HYPO not HYPER

September 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm
(32) Donna Nunya says:

Dany and Trevor:
Ms. Linda McRae had the same thing done as I did.
I had HYPER then they killed it with radioactive Iodine. It DIED….so..you NEED some levothyroxine to put some of it BACK into your body ( or course the normal amount a body needs in order to LIVE. ) You have to have some of it in your body, or your body starts breaking down, destroying ALL vital organs.
YOU had a thyroid that did not make ENOUGH of this, ( HYPO in your case ) therefore you are taking enough of the levothyroxine to make it up to the normal amount your body needs.
HYPO and HYPER needs the same medicine, only different amounts of it. Even if you have no thyroid at all.

October 30, 2009 at 2:56 am
(33) lynn says:

those looking for natural thyrod try Clarks pharacy in AZ

October 30, 2009 at 3:17 am
(34) Judith Morton says:

Let’s face the facts here. Everyone is different. No one can take the same dose, like most doctors want to do to start out. I had no symptoms at all, as soon as I started on the Levothyroxine, I gained weight, lost hair, and for a week had extreme heart palpitations and upset stomach, and became weak and disoriented. I called the doctor, she said that could not happen.

I got on the internet, they were symptoms of too much thyroid medication. I was told I was hypothyroid. For two years it has been on and off, up and down while the doctor tries to figure it all out. During that time, we, are feeling bad and wondering what is going on and why no one can fix it. I had to take less and less, then more, then less, and go through hell. Now I am going to see another doctor. But after this visit, I am seeing an acupuncturist, one I know, Yes, it may take some time, but maybe some of my lost hair and sanity will come back. Acupuncture is not a cure, but it can put me back on the map, and I am willing to go there, where in fact, the whole person is treated. I believe in holistic, natural medicine, combined with Western medicine. Sometimes one works better than another.

Also, if a person is taking another medication, that is taken into consideration. Also, you have to be your own advocate, look things up. Like I am into health, and then found out, no soy, no walnuts, no cruciferous raw vegetables, salt with iodine, listen, you have to know your body and how it responds to medications and what they do to you. I would be dead now if I did not read what was in my medications. We have to be awake, and we have to be proactive in our health choices, including doctors.

October 15, 2010 at 10:59 am
(35) Eileen says:

Judith, I also have been up and down with my thyroid. What doctors and family dont understand is the hell I go through when I its too high or too low. Very rarely is it ever in normal range. I have looked into meds and I am so afraid that they wont work either and by the time I realize they are not working I am a mess. I have been fighting this battle for many years. Whats going on?

January 19, 2010 at 12:21 am
(36) Ron says:

My chiropractor just started me on a heavy schedual of Standard Process Prolamine Iodine and Standard Process Thyrophin PMG plus trace minerals and B12. I was taking 180mg of Armour Thyroid. I have not taken anything for my thyriod for the last 3 months(no job, no insurance, and my Dr. will not order me any refills untill I see him again). My system is in trouble and I’m a little scared. Is this Iodine program going to work?

October 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm
(37) Ann says:

I was on Levothyroxine (.125mg) too but have no insurance now either. Has anyone tried Nutri-meds?

February 9, 2010 at 8:00 am
(38) Garnna says:

Is thee a safe website to order levothyroxine without a prescription? I am feeling well at this point and don’t want to change,

February 15, 2010 at 7:32 pm
(39) kook.d says:

to jan armstrong ; i wonder if the symptoms that you exhibit on having bipolar disease is the result of having hypo , or hyperthyroid disease in the first place … have you been checked to see if your problem is organic and not psychological ??? the bipolar diagnosis could be the result of your fluctuating hormones caused by the physical , not the mental – emotional … i know of a case where this was true … make sure the health care professionals have looked at the big picture… don’t let the professionals give you a lithium cocktail that masks the symptoms and does nothing for the cause … be careful … synthroid works for the person i have mentioned , although it took awhile to find a balance. as far as holistic supplements , i cannot give a very valued opinion … and remember that your going through a lot and you will need some one to help you on your emotional recovery … get several opinions … this forum looks like a good start …

February 24, 2010 at 6:04 pm
(40) Donna says:

I recently tested positive for antithyroid antibodies with a normal TSH level. The doctor perscribed Synthroid. I not excited about the idea of going on meds for life and am wondering if there are more natural treatments that may stop the hypothyroid symptoms I have been feeling. Any suggestions?

February 26, 2010 at 7:15 am
(41) Shridhar says:

Hi
Recently I am diagnosed with Thyroid stimulating Harmone 150 and T3 0.03 and T4 0.04. My weight is abruptly incresed to 75 kgs. My height is 5 ft. I am treated with thyronorm 100 micro gram once a day with empty stomoch. I always look tired, fatigue and drowsy. Full body pain.
I just want to know why do we get TSH high? Is this because of I take few medicines for the past 15 years. Do I need to take Thyroid medicine throughout my life? This has increased by blood pressure. Can anybody help how reduce these teethings problems and how to get red of thyroid? Will great help.

June 29, 2010 at 4:49 am
(42) Eleanor says:

Hi
I feel even people’s mentality, the whole psychological status is important in dealing with this problem. I’ve been treated for hypothyroid practically my whole life till now. With the dosage 150 every day. 5’3, above 70kgs and can’t seem to come down, below that. Mental state is gradually coming down compared to last year(including situation at home). The thing is i’ve been made to think that its impossible to through a day without the dosage (which i’m still not used to taking by ma self, unconsciously stubborn, so i’m forced to take it) but to see that there are only very mild changes as per thought-wise, body function, action and behavior, compared to when i’v taken. I feel extremely tired and yet restless, plus a lot of pressure from ma environment, can’t take step forward to finish a job, or what ever is needed to be done, repeated scolding and taunts drive away ma sanity, ma temper continues to boils and build up, always treated like a ticking bomb, yet i can’t quite express it. Not even those who are supposed to counsel me. So where exactly does the problem lie? I’d rather not depend on this medication all ma life cause even its cost has gone high. Isn’t there any promising way to deal with it naturally. Cause i’d like to take a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong break from where i am right now.
Ya feel me? ^_^

November 2, 2010 at 10:20 am
(43) naima says:

I was Hyperactive then removed my thyroid completely and since I was put on synthroid ..must admit my life went upside down ..lost hair(alopecia), gained weight and went insane …got extremely sick but i blindly trusted my doctors …this is my 3rd endo and they all say synthroid will never do this to u! u just have to be on it for a longg long time. I beleived them and wend on taking my med religisiously ..my life became worse ..My hair shedding was extreme, my scalp hurt so bad, my hair became painful.. my depression was bad, my constipation worse than ever! So i did my own research after seeing myself going down hill ..i came accross Mary sholomon about.com and the story behind synthroid. I went to see a Homeopathic last saturday who put me on thytrophin pmg 8025 ..I scalp has not hurt me since i wuitt taking synthroid .. I am praying GOD this med will work for me i don’t wanna be on synthroid again in my life. if you have lived the same experience please advise!

November 26, 2010 at 5:39 pm
(44) Max says:

I am just at a loss now. I cannot get all these test to make sense to me at all. I just know I a higher, 5.39 Free tsh or T4, that the doctor said I was hypo. A PA. He started treating me with thyroid. I should weight 112 to 115. Have more of the symtoms of hyper. For the last yr and a half, the more the doctor has changed the thyroid, doubled it, the higher the test has gone. Total refusal to send me to the only thyroid Doc in town! I loss weight, down to 92 lbs. Went off the thyroid for 4 mo as I felt I was dying. Feeling light headed, brain fog, cant take the heat, cant sleep, constant headaches, Walking 5-10 ft in my house and feeling like I would pass out. after the 4th time of blacking out, went to ER. I had a low heart rate of 37-42. Now I have a pace maker. Was also sent to a Internalist, (at this time was off the thyroid) Levels where at 8.39. He decided this was all my issues. (prior to Pace maker) put me on thyroid again, test done in 6wks, higher again. Would not send me to thyroid doctor. Changed brand, and still tells me this is my whole problem to keep taking it. Seems to have no interest in my other symtoms, also told me my pancreas is not working right, or at all? Has put me on three stomach meds, also pancrease. Very vauge, no time or concern. I feel awful. No Energy at all!!!! Seen a other ENC in Sac. New doctor, 4 mo in the field. I tested in the 7. His comment was He would never treat me if this was the first time I came to him as it was not really that high? MY Daughter went with me, and suggested the has the auto aumuine problem. Hasimotos. Well he said we will look at that next time . So went back to the Internest and demanded the auto aumuine test. The TPO test came out 2,179. He hardly said a thing, as if he was his ego, that I requested the test. Just said , keep taking your thyroid. I also have fibro. I have blood work that says I have hypercalcemia? Blood work, that points to kidney problems? I don’t know all the levels, as I am getting so frustrated here, and no doctor I am seeing in this area, refers me, nor do they mention any of these test that are out of wack! I am wondering with the hasitmotos, and not being treated properly, is this affecting every organ in my body? I have read it is very common to end up with a low HR, if you have hypo, or along with the auto aumine problem. Sorry for the typo errors! I am so tired and weak and feel terrible. I just seen a other doctor in Sac, she explained the test I had with me, saying the TSH is to low. She upped my dose, but changed it to a other brand, then the synotroid, and feels they are all the same? I have read very different in the blogs. She is looking at numbers and not so much my symtoms. Was not concerned about the high TPO test at all . Did not want to check for the adrinal problem, as I am certain I do have that? I have gastro problems, she felt I need a good gastroligist. She did not want to give me the Armour at all. I am desperate here, as I feel My whole body is being affected. I am getting sick of trying to ask doctors what test to do, and do my own research as I am to weak! I also wonder if the wrong treatment and the auto aumine is affecting every organ in my body. Some how I also feel if this was treated right from the get go, I would have never needed a pace maker, as it seems common people end up with a low heart rate. Looking back at all my test, prior to the thyroid meds, I did not have a low heart rate, no pancrease problem, The blood work and urine test that are all so abnormal! I do have three ruptured disk, and one in my neck.. Ashma and was diagnoised with fibro. Other then that, I have never felt this bad in my life. I also have the problem of medical!!!!!!!!! Seems the excuse of why I cannot get to a good thyroid doctor to look at all my symtoms. Anyone out there with any suggestions? I see ways you can treat yourself, but so affraid, with all the info, and blogs saying you can do more damage? Help

August 17, 2011 at 3:00 am
(45) sara says:

GEt the Suzanne Somer’s book “Breakthrough” and read everything she has written..she has several books with names and numbers of doctors who are natural.

November 6, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(46) Laurie says:

Max,

If you have hypercalcemia you may have parathyroid issues. It is a gland that is near the thyroid and causes calcium to leech from your bones into your blood. You should have a test called a sestamibi, which tests your parathyroid. If positive they will surgically remove your parathyroid. There are many side effects associated with this condition and you will feel much better if this is what is wrong with you.

January 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm
(47) Peter says:

Hi Max,
You certainly have a lot of medical issues going on at one time. If you are able to, go to a medical facility such as the Mayo Clinic (there are three locations: Rochester Minnesota, Phoenix Arizona, and a city in Florida) where they will have the ability to determine the cause(s) of your symptoms, and then treat the whole you. You can make your own appointment by calling 1-507/284-2511.
If you do go to the Mayo Clinic, you will probably start with an internist who will determine and schedule the tests that you need, and then, based upon the those tests (usually by the next day) will schedule appointments with specialists, such as their thyroid clinic (they have the world’s leading authority on thyroid treatment). Plan on at least a week there.
Have been going to the Rochester facility myself since 1995. It’s a complete facility, which is interconnected via subways. Rochester MN. caters to the Mayo Clinic’s patients, and as such, there is a wide choice of low to high priced hotels, some of which also connect with the Clinic’s subways.
Good luck and best wishes!
Peter

January 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm
(48) Melissa says:

Please look into Cushing’s disease or other pituitary diseases. It may be the root cause for some of you who are not responding well to thyroid replacement.

January 30, 2011 at 7:52 pm
(49) Ulfa says:

Hi Max,
You could have a leaking gut. That can cause all those problems. Try to stop eating carbohydrates (grains, rice, potatoes, corn etc.) for a week and see if you feel better. Eat meat and animal fat. No dairy and no vegetable oils. You can eat some boiled/steamed vegetables. If you feel better then you probably have a leaking gut. You could have this tested by a doctor, but it is easy to try by yourself.

If this seems your problem you can treat it with the gaps or special carbohydrate diet. You can find info about this by searching the internet.

February 19, 2011 at 11:25 am
(50) Bettina Netri says:

I was wondering if anyone has done the protocol that Dr Haas offers or read this article and what are your thoughts on this. Thanks.

February 25, 2011 at 4:35 am
(51) SANDRA says:

HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS WITH A CHINESE INTERVENTION CALLED “THYROID THROU”?

IT IS EXPENSIVE AND I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR OTHER PEOPLE’S EXPERIENCES BEFORE I TRY IT.

April 21, 2011 at 9:19 am
(52) Karen Poor says:

I have an overactive thyroid. Also a calcium blockage in my kidneys and too much calcium after taking Lithium for about 25 years and drinking too much milk. I went to a thyroid doctor and she was going away for 3 weeks, and I might need surgery on my neck. No info. about natural or diet cures. Then the kidney doctor tells me he’ll put me on medicine to get rid of the calcium blockage; but he didn’t give me a prescription, only ordered more tests (after I took a 24 hr. urine test). I am so sick of doctors making me come back over & over & I’m still having problems. I told the kidney doctor there was something called kidney complete that is supposed to get rid of kidney stones; he said, “I’ll look into that”. I should have said, “Yes let’s look into it right now on your computer”. Instead I waited for a half an hour to meet the doctor and another half an hour waiting for the exam, and it was nearly 5:00 so he rushed me out of there. I am dizzy all the time, don’t have an appetite, can’t sleep well, and feel hot when others are comfortable. I have stopped drinking tons of milk and no more yogurt until my calcium level is normal. Meanwhile I’m getting kidney complete and looking for a natural thyroid cure.

July 10, 2011 at 2:57 pm
(53) Elisa says:

I was diagnosed with hypertyrodism about 2 years ago and was told about the traditional medical types of cure. I asked how high my levels were, but got no straight answer. Wanted to know if I could get a low iodine radioctive pill and from there see if I went back to normal or borderline levels so to avoid thyroid treatment and was told that was not possible. Was the doctor right or it was greed?
It took almost a year for me to go hypo after I took the radiactive pill, then the doctor prescribed syntetic thyroid pills that needed to be changed about three times due to the side effects
Do you think this radiactive pill is still attacking my thyroid?

August 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm
(54) Shelley Houser says:

Radioactive iodine has a half life of 8 days. So, whatever dose you got to start with would determine how long it is still active in your system, barring no elimination of your kidneys. So if you started with, for example, 100 mCuries, in 8 days you would have 50. After another 8 days, you would have 25. After another 8 days, you would have 12.5. After another 8 days, you would have 6.3. Etc. I think most of it would be gone after 3 months or so. Your kidneys, and sweat glands work hard to eliminate it, too, and that should speed up getting it out of your body.

July 28, 2011 at 8:16 am
(55) Priyanka says:

Hi Folks!
Hi Doctor!

I underwent through some thyroid tests and the readings are as below:
1) Serum free T3 (Euthyroid range : 1.71 – 3.71 pg/ml) – 4.72 (my results)
2) Serum free T4 (Euthyroid range : 0.7 – 1.48 pg/ml) – 1.77 (my results)
3) T3 (Normal range : 58 – 160 ng/dl) – 156.4
4) T4 (Normal range : 4.87 – 11.72 ug/dl) – 12.34
5) Ultrasensitive TSH : (Normal range : 0.2 – 5.0) – 2.4288
Please make the diagnosis. My doctor said that I had hyperthyroidism. And she had asked me to take a pill of Thyrox 25 daily early morning without having anything.
When I googled I came to know that Tyhrox 25 is used for hypothyroid patients. I told her the same and now she prescribed me NeoMarcazole 5.

Are we going correct? And please tell me how serious my problem is.

September 12, 2011 at 11:42 pm
(56) sakira says:

hi doc,tor, freeT3 level 2.56pg/ml ,free T4 Level 1.21ng/dl,serum TSH level 5.6uiU/ml is it normal level

September 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm
(57) Sharon says:

There has to be something we can do naturally. My husband lost his job almost a year ago and along with that our insurance, the company I work for only offers AFLAC which is worthless. I have to go back to get another blood test before I can get another refill so I’ve been doing a natural thyroid care, watching what I eat and drink. My symptoms seem to come back periodically, but they do that even on the levothyroxin, which I find frustrating. The weight gain is still there and it’s all in unhealthy areas. I’m planning on taking care of getting back to a doctor and getting a new prescription, but I need a solution to get rid of the symptoms and the weight gain, not the watch what you eat and exercise answer, I already do that. We people stuck in the middle of not having insurance and not being able to get the help in other places need viable solutions, and that group of people is growing daily. Sorry it just frustrates me to read that my only solution is through the medical community or my condition will get worse.

October 7, 2011 at 8:50 am
(58) Craig says:

I was treated for throat or tonsil caner, which the doctors removed. However, cancer was present behind the tonsil on the lymph-nodes and a series of radiation was applied, which dried my saliva glands and my doctor prescribed Levothyroxine for my thyroid. Can I use anything else besides Levothyroxine? I do not no the extent of the damage done to my thyroid which causes me to use Levothyroxine. Is there anything I can do?

October 15, 2011 at 8:11 pm
(59) Ann says:

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2009. It took almost 6 months before they finally gave me radioactive iodine treatment. I was put on .125mg of Levothyroxine but never really felt good on it. I noticed my muscle size and strength continue to decrease. Even my head felt smaller several months after treatment. My focus has never been the same. I broke out terribly in my lower cheeks and neck. My hair started falling out six months later after treatment as well. I still have one eye that is 3mm larger than the other and had numerous test by specialists on that with no conclusion. I get exhausted a lot in the afternoons where I finally pass out on the floor or couch and hear absolutely nothing around me.

I no longer have insurance or any medicine left to take. I ordered some natural thyroid medicine from Nutri-meds but I am still unsure how much to take. Their bottles say 130mg but I was taking .125mg of Levothyroxine.

There is a clinic here that will see you on a sliding scale but only if you bring in a letter from you or your spouses employer. I cannot obtain one. I’m not sure if Walgreens would test my levels and order my medication but I really cannot even afford $85 for a visit with them.

Why would doctors not inform their patients of where to get natural medication if and/or when they suddenly find themselves without insurance? Sounds a little inhumane to me.

November 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm
(60) Angie Dixon says:

Core Syncronization has worked AWSOMELY to get my body’s energy flowing properly again in a VERY short time. My lady is only $50 an hr.My heart was stressed for years. I had MAJOR stressors which I have gotten away from, but thyroid issues do not recover even after stressors are past. I went 3 times and have NO heart stress.
I’m still figuring it out.60% of the stress to heart was thyroid! FINALLY, some answers and a place to start and I have gone to alternative doctors for a long time. I had burned out adrenals, pitutary issues, etc…. Nothing seemed to make it better. I am also getting JMT therapy by the same lady and she can tell me EXACTLY what is wrong and what % is causing the issue. Still very fatigued. Anything I took caused so much heart stress. She is still not the whole package because she can adjust it but without supplementation, she cannot treat the thyroid entirely. Going into menopause and she said my progestrone is low. I am pretty certain estrogen is high. I have gotten Tibetan herbs but Dr. Clark is in New Zealand and he gave me pills for my heart which did not help the stress, as he needed to treat hormones AND thyroid and I was unaware that thyroid was an issue. I now realize they all have to work together. Two pills he gave me were not good for me as I checked them with my CRA doctor. Energy medicine is best but Dr. Barry Clark is not here to check me. I will continue to work with him there, while getting checked here. My lady can tell me right away if it is good for me or not, how much to take, adjust me accordingly. Truth is, you must be VERY proactive about your own health. I was excited to find out it was thyroid. Now I finally know what direction to go in and can have her ask my body any specific question and my body will give her the answer. Be persistant and dont just wait for a doctor if it doesnt feel right, natural or not. I have to use several resources to get results, I will see what he has to help me.

November 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm
(61) Melissa says:

Can hyperthyroidsim/graves disease be treated naturally? Really would appreciate some advise on this. I just got diagnosed and need to treat this asap and do not want to take anything synthetic. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am getting mixed opinions and really just want to know if there is anybody out there that has treated this naturally and if it helped. Thanks

November 26, 2011 at 11:57 am
(62) Rakesh says:

I am suffering from hypothyroidism from the past 5 and on an average my TSH level is more than 150 i want to know that is there any permanent cure and what should i do and what can be my schedule for my workout to burn my daily calories and i basically have desk work for around 12 hrs.Presently my weight is 83 kgs and my height is 5feet 10inches and i my age is 22 now.

December 29, 2011 at 12:03 pm
(63) kharrell says:

Can taking the drug for hypo elevate your blood sugar….I have always had 80 blood sugar and after taking this drug, my sugar is now up to 120-140…..is there something else I can take other than this drug?

January 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm
(64) zahira says:

Hi Melissa, I have a graves for a couple of years but it was really getting bad so I got the treatment, which wasn’t natural but I has made me feel normal . I have to take synthroid, once a day for the rest of my life but it was well worth it.

February 14, 2012 at 1:36 am
(65) ocean says:

STRESS is a big contributing factor to hypothyroidism. I went through 2 stressful years and I think that brought on my hypothyroidism. I had the fatigue, intolerance to heat and cold, etc. But thankfully it was caught in the initial stages, so I opted for the natural approach and my TSH and T4 were within normal ranges after 1 month.
I changed my diet and lifestyle dramatically but I think the biggest thing that helped me was REST, BEING HAPPY and COCONUT OIL (3tbs daily for a month).
Bad news is that I went through another bout of stress recently, and along came the hypothyroidism again. So now back on a cure-my-thyroid plan!

For those of you with Hashimito’s, I remember reading that liquorice root can cure autoimmune disorders. But there was something about not taking it if you have high blood pressure.

Wish you all the best!

March 2, 2012 at 3:23 am
(66) priya says:

How about ujjayi pranayam it is a breathing exercise and my friend cured herself, it can be checked on you tube

March 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm
(67) Barbara says:

Vanessa,
My thyroid gland died when I was 13 MONTHS old, so I hope I will be a testimony for you. I took synthroid until I was 18 YEARS old as that was all the doctors knew. And while I am glad they knew how to help me back then (in 1969), by the late 1980′s, there were more natural options around. In 1986 my mom took me a natural doctor who put me on bovine thryoid pills and slowly weened me off the synthroid. Now, some 26 years later, I am still functioning without my thyroid but on natural thyroid hormones. Through the years I have stuck with this thyroid and kept my weight fairly steady, however, since I”ve hit my 30′s I’ve been struggling with increasing weight. I am thankful to Mary’s article because I do believe that what I need now is more supplementation from other herbs and minerals to help me. But either way, my testimony to you is that the natural pills DO work for those of us without a working thyroid gland…it just takes patience and time to get the dosage where you need it. Good luck.

March 16, 2012 at 12:53 pm
(68) DJ says:

Hello….I went to the doctor and they told me I had Thyroid…I got second opinion same result . Doctor prescribed medication and i did not take it. I did make a change in the way i was eating and started to eat alot of organic products. I noticed a change in my body started losing weight and now 6 months later I went to get retested because wanted to start taking my meds.. To my suprise my doctor told me that my thyroid levels are normal. I was amazed and he told me I did not have to take meds just to get re tested in 3 months.

March 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm
(69) Janine says:

I just got my test results back ( TSH, T3 and T4 ) and of course they came back ” Normal “. I have so many symptoms and now I’m having a fullness/tightness in my Thyroid area. I plan on going back and have another blood test where the Antibodies in my blood will be tested, which if they are elevated it could mean Thyroiditis or Hashimoto’s. I’ve been told by someone that there is a product from Puritan’s Pride called, Thyroid Complex, which is found online at Puritain.com. I have it on order and I am so excited about starting it! After all I’ve read about side effects by taking perscription drugs I am praying this helps! God Bless all of you, for I know how you feel.

March 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm
(70) Sandra says:

Hi All,
I had been battling with weight issues etc all my life and only within the last 2 years have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism I also have very high insulin levels. Doctor put me on Synthroid, but after 12 months started getting head sweats so badly I look like I have just stuck my head in a bucket of water and I cannot tolerate any temperature above 23 C. Now have got most of the side effects associated with these meds. I am considering the pigs thyroid as treatment, just wondering if anyone else has experienced these terrible sweats as Dr says probably not caused by the meds but I think otherwise.

April 28, 2012 at 12:31 am
(71) Cheryl says:

I just found out that I have an unactive thyroid and was put on Levothyroxine, was wondering if anyone could tell me what I am up against and what to look for ? I have read some post of others telling they changed their eating habits if anyone could please share those with me I would be greatful.

April 28, 2012 at 3:56 am
(72) Kayla says:

I am currently trying to be diagnosed with this disease. But because of the debate of which thyroid range a doctor should use has made it difficult. I have only gone to one doctor about it and my numbers were 3.25 and she said I was normal. But I know I have a problem. My quality of life has depleted, I am not myself at all. No energy, weight gain, starting to get anxiety, cold all the time, tingling sensation in my arms, etc.. Any advice?

May 1, 2012 at 12:41 am
(73) Max Bern says:

I had Graves Disease and was treated with radioactive iodine 10 years ago. I was taking synthroid for a while and then tried Armor Thyroid which both caused me to gain weight. For about a year now I have been off all medication and am feeling ok, aside from some upset stomach days. I have lost weight as well. I recently went back to a physician for the thyroid medication, however I am nervous about going back on the meds for fear that I don’t necessarily need them anymore. I wonder what would happen if I were to resist taking the traditional medication?

May 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm
(74) Alice says:

I have a comment related to the woman that didnt want to take Zemplar. I worked as a renal dietitian for many years and was involved in the bone metabolism management such as Zemplar use. Zemplar is used with renal patients for secondary hyperparathyroidism. Without functional kidneys Vitamin D in not converted as it normally would be and therefore can not send the signal to the parathyroid gland to stop producing the PTH hormone. When it becomes too high, the gland cells enlarge and increase in number. The high PTH level affects the bones. Bone minerals may be released from the bones which leads to calcifications in the body: in the vascular system, in joints, in lungs, and in hearts. Cardiac calcifications are one of the leading causes of death in renal patients. PTH levels and Phosphorus levels must me managed to prevent such. Not using Zemplar when needed plays a part in elevated phosphorus levels once it becomes really high. High phosphorus increases mortality. So that is the reality of not using it. Calcifications can also lead to amputations of fingers, toes, feet, penis after the minerals deposit and block blood flow.

May 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm
(75) Priya says:

I just wanted to add my personal experience with hypothyroidism. Last November, I had been suffering from extreme tiredness and weight gain. I had been to the doctor and my TSH level was found to be 9.3. I did not take the medicine prescribed by my doctor but did some yogasanasa (sarvangasana and ujjayi pranayama) for a month. At the end of the month, when I checked, my TSH level had come down to 6.3. Then I took ayurveic medicines for 2 months (kanchanara goggulu) and then stopped on the advice of my ayurvedic physician. When I checked my TSH level last month, ti had come down to 4.6. Right now, I am not on any medication. I do the yogasanas regularly. I do not feel tired at all and my weight has become normal. I intend to test my TSH level again after 3 months.

May 31, 2012 at 12:17 pm
(76) Gloria says:

Priya – I am interested in knowing more about your approach. What is kanchanara goggulu. How much do you take and are there any side effects? Where do you get it from? Also, what is yogasanas?

I was diagnosed two months ago with Hypothyroidsm. My number was around 6. I’ve been taking 50mcg of Levothyroxine for the past two months and had my follow up blood test a couple of days ago. My TSH level is now within range but at the high end. My doctor increased my dosage to 75mcg and will test me again in two months. I prefer to go the natural way but I’m now nervous about abruptly stopping and starting an ayurvedic approach. What do you think?

Thanks!

June 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm
(77) okwithus says:

Was on synthroid for about 30 years or so. Last fall I complained to my doctor and requested that she do a free t3 when doing my annual blood work up for my physical. I knew it was low. As I’ve aged and being on the synthroid, I’ve never felt good. supposedly have fibromyalgia. Also am being treated for high BP and have high cholesterol, but refuse to take a statin drug(though I did try many and had side affects) In any case, when lab work results were in my t3 was low. I then requested to be put on Armour vs. the syntroid, and told my doctor it was my body. She is not a big proponent of this med due to the philosophy of one of the 2 endocrinologists in our area and how it is an unstable product. Reluctantly, she wrote the script and I’ve been taking it for about 8 months now. At first I felt much better, but have noticed in the last 4 or 5 months that I am so much more anxious and have to take zanax for the anxiety. I also feel like my pulse rate has increased and I feel like my heart is pounding much of the time. I have no real energy and am unmotivated to do much until I have to go to work at night and run my but off.( I am a server). I was wondering if I could be over medicated with these side affects. Don’t want to call my doctor presently as she is not very open minded and I am due to see her in July with blood work.Have decided to go off the armour for a day or two and then cut the dose down to see if it makes a difference. Any suggestions or thoughts? In the last 4 months I have started taking whole food organic supplements and I also am using a liquid gentle detox(zeolite) to rid my body of heavy metals and toxins that we ingest daily. I just want to feel good, and I think I should, but I’m definitely not at my best..

June 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm
(78) Suresh Kumar Thakur says:

Hi

I am from India. I had some symptomps which I was noticing very carefully. The first symptomp was, I had swelling in my hands. The swelling became more prominent when I walked. I also saw some swelling in my face. I thought it was due to my working timings as most of the times, I am in night shifts. I have been working in the night shifts i.e. from 8:30 PM to 5:30 AM. for five years.

I just went to doctors and they asked me to go for urine tests and then they prescribed me some antibiotics. But the problem was not this. I had the same symptoms for two years and the problem remain undected till the time I visited a consultant physian. I went for various tests including T3, T4 and TSH.

My TSH level at that time was more than 350 and T3 was 29 nano gram and T4 was 1.1 nanogram. Doctor prescribed me Altroxin 75mg for one month. In one month my TSH level and T3 and T4 became normal and then doctor asked me to take 50mg for next two months. After taking 50mcg for two months my T3, T4 and TSH levels became normal. After that doctor asked me to take 50 mcg and 25mcg on alternate days. When I went for blood test my TSH, T3 and T4 level dropped to initial level. Now I have again started taking 50mcg and I will check after two months if the levels fall to normal values.

I also went for throid ultrasound and the size of thyroid gland is normal and there are no lymphotoic noudles. The report is normal.

I am worried how did I fall the victim of hypothyrodism. I hate taking medicine on daily basis as i may get many side effects. I don’t know what has been stored in the future.

I am also taking Calcium citrate as doctor told me that the bone disslution starts in a hypothyroid patient.

June 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm
(79) Nay says:

Basically, there are three main types of “Natural” thyroid supplements:
•Those that actually contain thyroid hormones.
•Those that contain animal thyroid glands, but from which the thyroxine (a thyroid hormone) has been removed.
•Those supplements that improve thyroid function naturally, but do not contain any glandular substances
Bovine thyroid supplements have been involved in a fair amount of controversy over the years. The parts used for preparing supplements of animal origin are the same that are most likely to be infected by agents that cause bovine spongiform encephalopathy or the mad cow disease. It is for this reason that the brain and spinal materials are discarded at the slaughter house, as these are deemed to be unfit for human consumption. To top it all, the recommendation is that these supplements should be sucked rather than swallowed so that the active components are absorbed by the tongue for rapid action with the brain.
Hypertension is the most common psychosomatic disorder affecting 972 million people worldwide. The clinical study deals with the effect of Makandi (Coleus forskohlii (Willd.) Briq.) Ghana vati and tablets of its powder in hypertension found in the geriatric age group (50-80 years. Analysis of the results showed that the treatment in both the groups had been found to be good. It can be stated that Makandi, either in Ghana vati form or in churna tablet form, is an effective remedy for the treatment of hypertension.

June 26, 2012 at 10:50 am
(80) cat43 says:

Suresh Kumar Thakur
My hands are “puffy”, too. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in March. I have been taking Levothyroxine. I was taking 25mcg and my T4 level was normal when it was tested. However, my hands are still puffy and upon another T4 test, the doctor had to raise my dosage to 75mcg. I am also cold all of the time and tired and moody. My main concern is my puffy hands. I can’t even wear my wedding rings. How long does it take for the symptoms to go away? Can anyone help me? Any advice?

July 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm
(81) Robin says:

I was put on levothyroxine 25 mg in april.. At first I started to feel much better,more energy, less brain fog – then all of a sudden I started to feel bad again, really dizzy and spacy, disoriented, anxious – really really wierd feeling. my doc increased it to 50 mg beause she said my numbers weren’t where she wanted themto be and boy I almost had a nervous breakdown and almost had to call 911. went back down to the 25 mg but still dizzy and wierd feeling. cut that in half and only take 11/12 mg – there has got to be something else to take for this condition! I do not know what to do = very depressed about this.

July 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(82) Tom says:

I been feeling very tired for the last 2 months or so,and I experienced Weight loss at times, after reading these comets from people who have
A thyroid problem, I thinking I may have the same.Last year I had kidney
Stones, so I changed my diet and cut down on some foods, and salty foods and red meat, maybe this had something to do with it, I also feel
Depressed at times, when I feel really tired, I will go and get tested soon
At my doctors, can anyone recommend on which foods you should eat
When you have a thyroid that you are losing weight

July 22, 2012 at 11:26 pm
(83) all says:

I am on levothyroxine 112mcg and I have to say I wish I could STOP taking this pill. I was dx with hypo a year ago. Started at 75mcg and felt fine but the doc said my numbers weren’t where they were supposed to be so a year later, I’m on 112mcg.

I developed anxiety, had a panic attack that put me in the ER, developed migraines, dizziness, brain fog, and feel horrible daily! I may have one good day every 2 weeks. I have seen 5 different doctors, and so far, they ALL keep telling me to take the pills. This last visit, a 6th doctor is finally checking TS3 and TS4 levels. (Before just had TSH checked and in ER, TS4 was high)

Anyway, I doubt anything will come of this. I’m suffering, complain to any doc I see, and it’s the same thing – “You’re a female and females go through hormonal changes and this is all normal.” My question is, is it? I’m 37. Single, no kids, not pregnant. I don’t think feeling like crap everyday because of a pill is normal?

July 26, 2012 at 4:48 pm
(84) Shirley says:

To answer Dany as to why Linda takes thyroid if she was diagnosed with Hyperthyoidism. When Linda had her thyroid destroyed with the high powered radiated iodine, she no longer was producing the thyroid hormone. Thus she went from HYPER to HYPO thyoidism. She had to take some sort of thyroid hormone supplement and opted for the pharma rather than natural. I myself have been on the synthetic for over 12 years now and it just has wrecked my body. I am not well, my joints hurt, my body tires easily and now that I am going through pre-menopause stage I have been having a horrible time of it. I recently decided to opt for a more natural way of treating this. I am sick of being locked into the big pharma and having to argue and haggle with doctors to help me. I hate going to doctors…period so I am taking bovine thyroid along with all the minerals including kelp (iodine) to help heal what the chemical pharma has done to my body. Years on that stuff!! I was diagnose with Grave’s disease as a kid and went through years of hell. I finally had my thyroid removed with surgery as my doctor didn’t believe in the radiated iodine. I was to have enough thyroid left on either side to function. It was not, thus having to take the supplement. I took the synthetic for years, then my mom saw I was not doing well, puffing up and not feeling good. She got me to a doc that prescribed me Armor Thyroid. I did well on that for a long time. Then after I married and had kids, my new doctor told me it was old fashioned and they were fazing it out and wouldn’t be making it anymore. I was then put on synthetic again. I am now going totally natural as I do not trust doctors and their lies. They are in the back pocket of the big pharma and as far as I am concerned, legal drug pushers. I am going totally natural and would rather consult a natural healer than a doctor any day!

August 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm
(85) Donna says:

I have most of the symptoms listed for hypothyroidism, but my doctor insists I have low iron. At this point, most of my eyebrows are gone, my hair has receded about an inch at the top of my forehead, I am constantly tired, and often depressed, feel itchy/crawly a lot, have gained about 20 pounds, and I can go on. She says my t3 & t4 levels are a little low but nothing to worry about and has suggested vitamin B, then Iron and Omega Oils. How bad do I have to get before a doctor will realize that my thyroid is not working properly? I have experienced these problems for some time now; am in my early 60′s and female. Is there anything else I can do?

September 7, 2012 at 11:11 pm
(86) Deborah says:

I had Hyperthyroid (graves) disease over 16 yrs ago. My resting heart rate was 135 and my other symotoms were crazy before I got to the Dr. I thought I was going through early menopause due to the hot flashes. Anyway, my endocrinologist put me on a drug for 6 months that caused my hair to start falling out. I contacted a master herbalist in Oregon who told me what they suggest – what they would do if it were them – and told me to have my Dr. Monitor me as in weaned off the med. I was healed in 30 days and have been tested many time since all showing no signs of disease. I have now become a Natropathic Dr and Certified Health Professional and still use the products for Oregon.
Deborah Stauss
Grove Oklahoma

September 11, 2012 at 11:10 pm
(87) Shereena says:

I am hypothyroid. I was on Levothyroxine for 12 years. A few months ago, my doc told me she had to reduce it because of my TSH. I told her, that would mean that at some point, I should have felt great…before I went over that limit. I told her I wanted to go on dessicated thyroid (pig) and she wrote the prescription. I had carried an extra 20 lbs over the years, brain fog, low energy…on and on. Within 6 weeks I had lost the weight, felt much more energy. Also started to take Lugol’s iodine and supplements recommended by Dr. Brownstein’s protocol, B2, B3, also taking 5,000 vitamin D, L-Cysteine, and grapefruit seed extract, a multivitamin a day (all purchased at health food stores, not Walgreens or the like), watching my diet, fruit, vegetables, rarely ever eat gluten. No junk food, ever. Xylitol instead of sugar. Organic whenever possible. Organic Bragg’s vinegar (which I take with the iodine) to keep my body alkalized. At this point my biggest challenge is sleeping. Still have to say, I feel better than I have felt in 12 years. What helped me most was coming to terms with the fact that doctors don’t have all the answers but we can do our own research. Thyroid disease seems to be a very neglected area in terms of research but there is information out there. It is important to be proactive with your doctor, and if they don’t listen, find one who will. In my case, it isn’t that my doctor listens, but she does respond when I insist on changing the medication to dessicated thyroid. I have found that is the best I can get.

October 17, 2012 at 8:10 am
(88) Jojo says:

Hi,

I am 24, and have had very painful joints (especially painful feet and hands) since I was 12/13. I used to be an insomniac, but now I can never get enough sleep, I walk around like a zombie and the pain in my joints and muscles has just got worse and worse. I can hardly open a jam jar any more… Especially in the mornings.
I am very sensitive to heat and cold. If I am cold the pain in my body is 50x worse. In recent weeks I have put on a lot of weight despite being a busier person. I put this down to a lessening of my exercise as the pain puts me off doing any.
I recently had some reflexology on my hands to see if that could ease the ache, and the woman asked if I had ever had thyroid problems….I had never even thought about the possibility, but now reading on the internet alot of my separate symptoms (which I just put down to me being me) seem to indicate something is wrong. However all of the reactions to the medicines given on here seem a million times worse than what I am currently facing. Should I go and get checked out or am I better off just grinning and bearing what is happening?

I also havent seen many comments from people who swing from being Hypo to hyper and that seems to be whats happening to me. Any suggestions on how to combat both?

October 19, 2012 at 8:48 am
(89) Lisa says:

I have hypo. Using armour and seems to be working but also taking kelp in pill form and vit B. I have been reading diet for your blood type and Os have thyroid problems and highly recommend kelp, iodine and vit B. if you are O get the book from your library. I am going to try it and see if I feel better. Feel better everyone. When I can’t sleep I take melatonin.

October 19, 2012 at 9:02 am
(90) Lisa says:

To cat 43. I had puffy hands also and I stopped using sweeteners and it helped. The book diet for your blood type talks about good and bad foods and sweeteners were on my list. Try it. I also only drink coffee 2 x or so a week that has helped also.

October 19, 2012 at 9:02 am
(91) Lisa says:

October 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm
(92) Barbara says:

What do you do when you have diabetes type 2, hypothyroidism, and acute intermittent porphyria?

I HAVE to eat carbs and sugars for the porphyria, which puts on the weight. I can only lose 10% at a time..and actually do not know what that means?!! I am morbidly obese now.

I really need help. I do not have health insurance because of many disabilities. I want to use the natural route.

Thank you!

October 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm
(93) MissB says:

Hello Everyone,

I have been dealing with the same issues you have all had. I have hypothyroid and no synthroid could do anything for me so I took myself off. I also found out I have Celiac disease and I have read many health book son this. I think most everyone who has a thyroid issue has a gluten issue. Take yourself off gluten for 2 weeks see how you feel. I noticed gluten make my symptoms worse and I swell and completely feel like crap! Gluten also her my joints and muscles. Then from staying away from gluten find a natural way I have been off all meds and doing herbs and have felt better than when I was on levothyroxine! STAY AWAY FROM GLUTEN!

November 4, 2012 at 10:55 pm
(94) whamprod says:

Is there a non-pharmaceutical replacement for thyroid therapy for someone with an ablated thyroid? I had mine ablated because of Graves Disease years ago and have been taking levothyroxine for a long time now. I have my medication, and I take it faithfully, but what if there were a long term interruption to the available supply—let’s say…. during a “zombie apocalypse?” (No, I don’t believe in zombies…..I’m just trying to use and illustration to convey the intent of my question.) Is there a way for someone like me to replace this crucial medication from a natural and readily available source, if something catastrophic were to happen?

November 27, 2012 at 4:32 am
(95) Holly says:

Please look into a gluten free diet. Celiac is an auto immune disease, and the body will often attack other parts of the body including the thyroid. I had this myself (I am celiac and was hashimotos hypothyroid, going gluten free I dont have thyroid problems anymore). I have been gluten free 1.5 years. Be patient your body needs time to heal on this diet. Blood tests for gluten allergy are very often false negative. The current food supply puts gluten in to almost every meal of our life (granola for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, dinner roll and pasta for dinner). Could you imagine eating strawberries every meal of your entire life? Of course that would make you sick. Be careful when you cut gluten out, research gluten withdrawals, they are like a drug addiction withdrawal, you need support and research before going gluten free but it is very doable! I feel great and have my life back, I am so thankful and believe in a natural way. I am a model and started a blog to help support people with celiac with a fun twist. I hope all of you feel better soon. The human body is an amazing thing, don’t doubt your ability to heal yourself with the proper support.

November 27, 2012 at 8:41 am
(96) sherry says:

Just got blood work up done and doc put me on thyroid meds. Ive never had this before andand would like more information. What cau çauses this.

December 3, 2012 at 9:14 am
(97) Rachael says:

Hi all,
This is a great article but I wonder what I can do:

The situation is – I am in my late twenties, and 2 years or so ago I developed pretty bad skin (I’d been very lucky as a teenager and missed out) and slowly put on weight. Granted, my exercise levels dropped when I graduated etc. I am always tired, despite how much sleep I get, and just generally feel lethargic and blurgh.
In the last 2 months or so I have taken up running (training for a half marathon) and a weekly fitness class. I have cut down on all rubbish foods, and probably only consume 900 or so calories on average per day, in an attempt to lose weight – which doesn’t seem to budge despite everything I’m trying.

My mother has had Thyroid problems and has been on medication for 8 years or so, and my grandmother has just been diagnosed too.

So, I think it’s quite likely (although it would be good to hear your thoughts) I have a problem too. Trouble is – I have suspected this for a while and been to the doctors for bloods, but they all come back as ‘normal’.

Is there anything else I can do to help it/ask for different tests/try and see a different doctor (I’m in Devon, UK)?

Any help would be very gratefully received,

Many thanks,

Rachael

January 4, 2013 at 8:54 pm
(98) DanaLee says:

Has anyone tried acupunture with success? I used to be on Armour but then my new physician put me on synthroid saying that Armour would be no longer manufactured soon. I loved the Armour, but have been jittery and sweaty and uncomfortable with the synthroid. I’m thinking of going to an acupuncturist.

January 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm
(99) Sheena says:

Hi everyone! I am 29 years old and a few months ago I was diagnosed with Hypo thyroid. The Endocrinologist but me on generic Synthroid the lowest dosage. I started to take it and thought that I was feeling better.After 2 1/2 weeks on it i started having heart palpitations and stopped taking it. I have not consulted the Endocrinologist because I figured he would just push me to stay on it. I asked my primary doctor about it and he acted like oh well. I suffer from almost all of the hypo thyroid symptoms. I really want to get this under control and feel good on a daily basis. After reading all of these post I am not sure where I should start. Would I be better off going back on the prescription medication and see if the symptoms occur again or try a natural remedy??? I would appreciate anyone’s advice!!! I can not believe I am 29 and suffering from premature greying and thinning of hair. :(

January 31, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(100) Angela says:

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 1998…lost my job and insurance and went untreated for 14 years. I started going to a new endo Dr. who diagnosed me with Hashimotos in 2010. I have recently lost my job and now have no insurance again! I cannot afford the blood tests he wants to give me every 3 months. I have lost a lot of hair…skin and hair is very dry…PMS is terrible and I have really heavy blood flow on my cycle…very sensitive to the cold! I am so lost as to what I should do to treat myself….there has to be something I can do!! I am 44 years old and lIve in the Atlanta area…if anybody has any suggestions on where to go or what I could do…please feel free to let me know!!!

February 15, 2013 at 7:48 am
(101) mari says:

Himy doctor said i have low thyroid based on tests. She said if i dont take levothyroxine i can get a big heart and this can lead to death. But my mom is a biologist and she told me to slowly decrease my meds and go off the levothyroxine or else my body will completely and permanently stop making its own levothyroxine…she said if i stop taking thyroid med levithyroxine the hypothyroidsm should eventually stop. Genetically no history of hypothyroid. It it so confusing who to listen to…biologist or doctor…im scared ..and my thyroid levels are better basrd in tests but when i wake up i feel like i havent slept at all yet my body feels aroused more like alert at the same time…how long does it take for the heart condition my doc told me about to develop?? And should i take my moms advice (by the way she has a phd in biology from university or washington and whent toone of the top 3 math schools in russia) …

February 17, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(102) Claudia says:

I’ve been taking Thyraxis-PT and other supplements to improve digestion, along with acupuncture for about six months.
Latest blood test shows TSH back at the high end of normal. In the first blood test, I also had TPO of 1052 (should be 0-32), which mean antibodies attacking the thyroid. After the six months of treatment, the TPO count is less than half. I’m convinced.

February 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm
(103) Lynne says:

Mari,
Your mum sounds as if she knows what she is talking about.
Can you ask her if being on levothyroxine for 2years is too long a time to do what she has told you to do. I am sick of the effects of the drug. The fibromyalgia that so many people talk about is related to the drug I am sure. I feel so much better off it.
I have stopped the meds now for 4 days and am wondering if I can keep it up.
Lynne

March 24, 2013 at 8:19 am
(104) carey says:

To get inexpensive levothyroxine this may help.
Ask your doctor for pills twice the strength of what you need. The generic pills are scored and break in half. Break them in half and return them to the bottle.
90 pills, supposedly a 3 months supply, cost $10.00 at Walmart. They will last you 6 months and your drug will cost $20.00 a year.

March 27, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(105) Brooke Wears says:

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 9 years ago. I get blood work done yearly to check my levels. I was recently prescribed Prozac to help with my hormones doing a roller coaster ride. My doctor sent me to a specialist cause the blood work done in the office showed “over active” thyroid. After going to see an endocrinologist they said my thyroid levels were normal. Because ov those results I was taken off synthroid. My question or questions are… 1) can Prozac (or any anti depression medicine) cause a “false” thyroid reading? And 2) can your thyroid go from hypo to hyper to normal and be all over the map? I’m still trying to learn about hypothyroid disease so any and all answers would be great!

April 3, 2013 at 4:51 am
(106) Canadian Gal says:

My ten year son, who has Trisomy 21 ( aka Down Syndrome), has had weird numbers for every thyroid blood test since birth. Recently we had his thyroid immunity checked also and the reading is high. I know that blood test results are not the only thing that a Doctor should go off of…but they do!
My son only recently has shown any of the markers for Hypothyroidism…..he has started loosing his hair and now is showing large bald spots. This of course just might be due to other things such as stress and illness. He is not constipated, lethargic, etc.
I’m looking for an Endocrinologist or Doctor in Southern Alberta, Canada who understands the thyroid and is not against the natural approach to this problem.
Any help with information would be deeply appreciated!!!

April 7, 2013 at 11:39 pm
(107) megan says:

Im 22 i was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid when i was in 8th grade. My dr had me do radioactive iodine treatment and now im hypoactive. I have been going back and forth with meds for years, gained A LOT of weight because of it. Was never given a diet to follow just given rx meds that i hate. As my t3 gets lower the worse my reaction to the meds get. I get horrid tremmors, night terrors, and anexiety attacks while on levothyroxine. I know that getting my levels down is important, is there something else i can be on that wont make me react like that and what kind of diet should i be on? I have gained upwards or 90lbs because of my thyroid and have since had other health issues. Got to love being misinformed early and never getting the right info.

April 21, 2013 at 8:32 am
(108) chelle says:

I was diagnosed at the end of 2010 with hypo, but I didn’t feel like there was anything wrong with me. I went through trial and error with the meds, and levoxyl was the only one I could tolerate. Now, Levoxyl’s been recalled (until end of 2014 I’ve read), and I tried Synthroid again. I had every side effect and will not take that drug again. I’m on day 3 of Armour and don’t know what to expect.

The original tests led the Dr. to put me on 100 mcg/day. Isn’t that high for someone with no symptoms?

June 8, 2013 at 10:09 pm
(109) Sun says:

I’ve used Neem capsules in the past and eliminated sugar, caffeinated drinks, and alcohol from my diet, and it helped. After it was confirmed by my doctor that it was cured, I started drinking a cup of tea, and slowly added things here and there in moderation, and five years later i’m still ‘ok’ knock on wood.

Hope this helps!!!

This falls under Ayurvedic Medicines

June 11, 2013 at 4:50 am
(110) Priya says:

I too used Ayurveda to help my hypothyroid condition.

Last September, I went to the doctor with severe fatigue, itching on the leg, gum swelling, menstual problems. I was tested and found to have a TSH of 22.44, FT4 9.83 and FT3, 3.8. I took some ayurvedic supplements and made changes to my diet (eliminated sugar, caffeine, reduced gluten, decided to never overeat and had my dinner 3 hours before bedtime). I tested again in December and my TSH had come to 10.77, my FT4 to 12.39 and my FT3 to 4.12.

I tested again in March this year and my TSH had become 8.18, FT4 was 15.54 and FT3 was 3.7. My last test was done on 27 May and my TSH had come down to 4.55. The supplements that I am taking are basically to improve my body functions and to detoxify my body.

I must add that I regularly exercise for half an hour everyday. I had always been very thin, weighing around 45 kgs with a height of 5 feet but when I developed my hypothyroid symptoms, I put on 10 kgs in just 7 months and everybody started saying that I looked good but I felt horrible. Now, since I started taking the ayurvedic supplements, my weight has come down to 48 kgs.

I am feeling much better though I feel tired occasioally. That could also be because my haemoglobin count is 11.5. I am a vegetarian and am trying to bring up my bllood count.. I do not have any menstrual problems now. By the way, I am 48 years old.The last time I tested, my pressure was 116/80 and my cholesterol levels were HDL (49.6), LDL (99.4) and Tryglycerides (60.9).

June 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm
(111) Teresa says:

After thyroid cancer nuclear iodine treatment I was put on Synthroid. Started at 50mg now up to 137mg daily. It wasn’t working. Fatigue, hair loss, etc. All the usual symptoms.
Blood tests every 6-8 weeks. This had been going on for 7 years. The beginning of this year, I started working out to get my shape back. After 3 months of weight training and cardio workouts I hadn’t lost a SINGLE pound. My trainer suggested I have my thyroid checked again.
I read up on Holistic treatments. I also read Our Bodies Ourselves suggestions.
I started on L-Tyrosine 500mg. by Nutraceutical Labs.
I also started on Raw Thyroid by Natural Sources.
It has been a month now and I have my energy back, my hair is thickening, my skin isn’t dry, etc. I have lost 7 pounds!
I have to get generic Synthroid per my insurance and have read how the generics aren’t as potent as the original. My Doctor even told me NOT to get any Synthroid out of Brazil because it is inferior. I have totally stopped the Synthroid and don’t feel the need to go back on it.

June 22, 2013 at 8:02 am
(112) pam says:

I have a tsh level of 6.2 , i am feeling very tired, lots of headache, losing weight and the list goes on , my dr still has me on 75mg thyroxine.Need some advice please!”".

June 24, 2013 at 10:03 pm
(113) Karen says:

I have been battling Graves disease for over 10 years now. I have been up and down forever, including at one point having a TSH level of 277, which ended up hospitalizing me, with my heart rate at about 40. Three different endocrinologists saw me while there and all of them said I should be dead. Please remember, folks, that the majority of the time people die in their sleep is because of an undiagnosed thyroid problem. You need your thyroid working in order to live. It’s that simple. So if you’re self-medicating, please make sure you’re checked by a doctor periodically. For those of you who are hyper, just some helpful hints I’ve learned over the years: stay away from iodized salt, do NOT have anything that comes out of a bad or a box. That will go a long way for you. Good luck to all with your various battles. The thyroid is nothing to mess with. Please be careful.

July 3, 2013 at 7:18 am
(114) VIVIEN says:

I am 43yrs and have just been confirmed with Hyperthyroidism and have a script for carbimazole. I have heart palpitations that get quite bad when running or anxious and have a fast metabolism. I have always been a very busy person with a high amount of energy and am athletic but occasionally become extremely tired without warning like my battery has fallen out and need a cat nap. This is when I head for the sugar. I also suffer emotional highs and lows and am on a mild anti-depressant to keep me level which started after the birth of my children. I thought it was a hormone imbalance.

It has been recommended that I have the Radioiodine treatment but this does concern me. What if a change of diet could resolve these issues before going to down this track? I understand there could be issues with an underactive thyroid after the radioiodine treatment, which is treated with more drugs, but is this really the answer? Any advise for those who have been there? Do I go natural to start with and if no success go for the radioiodine treatment? Are the anti-depressants (Citalopram) adding fuel to the fire as per one persons comments?

July 23, 2013 at 9:44 am
(115) Donna says:

Hi there,
Just reading your comments and thought I’d put this one in.
I was diagnosed in 2004 with hypothyroidism. Prescribed thyroxine…
18mths later, went thyroid toxic and diagnosed with graves disease!
When I was 6 mths pregnant in 2006 – thyroid levels became normal … Came off all medication
6 mths after that, blood test confirmed hypothyroidism again… Back on thyroxine.
2012 stopped taking thyroxine (personal reasons)
Blood test results from last week July 2013- normal!!!!
Still have a goiter and symptoms but t3, t4 and tsh all in normal ranges.
Go figure???

August 2, 2013 at 11:46 pm
(116) martin says:

Is there a way to contact any one of the 115

August 6, 2013 at 4:36 am
(117) Aruna says:

Hello doc, I went for thyroid test for irregular periods. My result as follows Test done by ECLI mehod
FT3-2.24 pg/dl reference 2.0-4.4 pg/ml
FT4-1.21ng/dl reference 0.93-1.7 ng/dl
TSH-2.66uIU/ml reference 0.27-4.2 uIU/ml
Is this normal. I am worried about the FT4 its slightly higher than what they have given in lab reference. When went through the internet for normal FT4 level range they have given 0.7-2.0. Please help me with this.Thank you.

September 26, 2013 at 8:31 am
(118) my web page says:

I really believe it is one of the most major information to me. With this particular content looking at a person’s report. Yet need to comment upon many general difficulties, The site fashion is ideal, the particular content is within truth superb : D. Beneficial course of action, cheers

October 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm
(119) Carla Ruiz Gordillo says:

I have a friend. She was treated with radioiodine more than 15 years ago, and she has never taken any treatment and denied her illnes.

Now she’s 41 years old and doesen’t hear me!!!

What are the health risks?

October 30, 2013 at 10:43 pm
(120) riah says:

I’ve not been diagnosed by a doctor with thyroid problems but I know I have it. I have all the symptoms: fatigue, depression, irritability, elevated cholesterol, hair loss, low BP, etc.

I’m hesitating to go see a doctor because there seems to be difficulty in diagnosing thyroid problems and adrenal fatigue (I know I have AF too).
So first I decided to try my Facial Reflexology (for thyroid problems)- this is something I’ve been doing to myself for years, and I tried EFT too, Emotional Freedom Technique or tapping technique , to supplement my reflexology.

I ‘m not saying I’m 100% cured but after a couple of days doing these, I found my depression and irritability had vanished.

There’s also a marked improvement with my insomnia and body aches and pains. With the BP and cholesterol, I still need to have that checked.
I’m still feeling some mild fatigue but it’s manageable.

I’m still monitoring my condition , but for those who are looking for alternative to meds or hormone therapy, this is one area to look into.

I opt for ‘natural treatment (am taking some supplements too and salt water for AF,and some tweaks in my diet) because I don’t want to take medicine for years
nor go through therapy for extended periods of time, or lifetime(?) ,I don’t know.

I’m still reading about this disease though but so far so good.

November 8, 2013 at 10:58 am
(121) Heather says:

I blog as well and I am authoring a thing related to this article, _Can Your Hypothyroidism
Be Treated Naturally?_. Do you care if I actuallyutilise a little of your own concepts?
Thanks -Kian

November 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm
(122) Libby Anne says:

I recommend going gluten and sugar free….as per Dr. William Davis.(google his name) I’ve had hypo-thyroid for approx. 12 years and have been on Armour Thyroid the whole time. The last time my thyroid was checked, my practioner said it was w/in the “normal” range that they look for. I also had been diagnosed “insulin resistant” which went into type 2 diabetes. I was unable to lose weight and needed to desparately. Since this past January I’ve lost approx. 40 lbs,. have gone down 3 clothing sizes. I sleep well and feel well….

December 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(123) scw says:

Karen; it is reckless and dangerous to tell a bipolar person to stop taking their Lithium. It’s just foolish to suggest they will be better off ‘letting their freak flag fly.’ Fly… all the way to jail, a hospital, or death. That’s the stakes. Don’t speak of what you don’t know.

December 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm
(124) G says:

ive been taking synthroid for 17 years no problem. now i think im allergic to the blue dye in it. its in all of them. what to do, i cant live on steroids and synthroid anymore. been 6 months. i need an alternative without blue dye!!!

February 25, 2014 at 12:46 pm
(125) Lesann says:

We went to a doctor last week who deals with natural cures. He said the problem with modern medicine is like putting a bandaid on your head for a head ache or going to the mechanic for your car “check engine” light daily and all he does is put your car on the computer and turning off the “check engine” light. Thyroid drugs do not treat the situation causing the T3 T4 levels to be off. Thyroid meds are suppose to affect T4 but most systems don’t read it. T4 affects T3 which affects your hormones and drugs are not correcting the real cause of malfunction of the Thyroid. Detoxing/cleaning the liver & gut , diet, light exercise, probiotics, supplements, where needed, can heal. Leave out the wheat, sugar is a poison, use Stevia or Xylitol . Buy organic, free range meats, raw milk/dairy, good fats (Coconut oil tops) Check Wheat Belly diet by Dr. Davis.. I like some of the suggestions some have given for supplements and herbals you are using instead of thyroid meds. I will try this.. After being discouraged in taking Armour & put on Thyroxine,I am not better. When your diet is right and it heals all the inflammation in your body which causes thyroid issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, weight problems, etc., your body can heal itself and correct these malfunctions of your internal organs. For those with no or only part of a thyroid, you will need replacement hormones so Armour would be OK and it will work as it should..but until you get these other issues tended to nothing is going to help much, and surely not permanently. If you treat the cause your numbers will be right and your body healed. Taking Rx meds is the same as going to your auto mechanic and having him reset the “check engine” light daily without fixing the problem. Now who would do that?

February 26, 2014 at 12:10 pm
(126) S. Merlin C. says:

Levothyroxine made me very sick after only two months of treatment, however the Dr. didn’t want to hear excuses and didn’t want to suspend it. I refused to abide by the treatment and I used a combination of iodine and selenium instead (so no, you don’t necessarily get sicker with iodine) and my TSH in one year went from 15.5 to 3.50. I also lost twenty pounds, the weight I had gained thanks to the hypo condition. I have no symptoms anymore, although I still follow a diet and still get kelp and selenium.
I don’t think there is a remedy for everyone but saying that you don’t get better if you don’t take levo, well… It is not correct because I am doing great!

April 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm
(127) L. Grace says:

Thank you for the supportive sharing! I am getting off levothyroxine (generic Synthroid) after 9 years. It hasn’t really helped and now doctor wants to raise the dosage. Also slowly getting off anti-depressants for depression and headaches, opting for a healthier lifestyle all around and working with a ND – naturopathic doctor. Health insurance and traditional medicine can be life savers in some emergency and surgical situations, but is more expensive, dangerous, and disappointing in many “dis-ease” situations that are rampant in America. The educated, natural methods can seem expensive at first, and do take more time, but are much wiser, cheaper in the long run, and without creating more side effects that in turn need to be treated. I encourage those who need thyroid healing – there is hope!

May 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm
(128) sismoe says:

help please-i noticed it bk in 2012 when i became a truck driver,oon the top of my head my hair was thinning,now im embarresed but iv got some bald spots,and within this week its gottn more,visual im blonde so my scalp shows -im running out of ways to wear my hair-iv been stressed all my life-being otr stresses me more but its my job,iv looked into thyroids and issues-i hate doctors so guess why im here-i dnt eat rght dnt eat hafe time anyways but-is there something i can do or take to help with my hair other than buy a wig-very worried-sismie in tn

May 20, 2014 at 9:19 am
(129) William Edwards says:

My girlfriend fears she has the condition of hypothyroidism. She complains about her neck being swollen and losing her hair. I am trying to figure out how to help her out?