1. Health

Mary Shomon

Outpatient Laser Surgery Is Newest Treatment for Benign Thyroid Nodules

By May 2, 2006

Outpatient laser surgery may soon become a common treatment for benign thyroid nodules, which affect millions of women around the world.

At the April 2006 annual meeting of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), Roberto Valcavi, MD, Director of the Thyroid Disease Center in Reggio Emilia, Italy reported on his Center's use of this new treatment.

According to Valcavi, treatment of thyroid nodules with the thyroid hormone replacement drug levothyroxine, the traditional treatment for nodules, has been shown to be ineffective in numerous studies. The other popular approach, removal of part of all of the thyroid surgically, can have some complications, including hypocalcemia or damage to vocal cords.

Valcavi reported on a study of 119 women who underwent the new procedure. In laser treatment, optic fibers are placed alongside the nodule using ultrasound guidance, and then illuminated with a laser.

Patients received light sedation (i.e., Valium), and the procedure typically took 30 minutes. This is compared to traditional surgery, which involves general anesthesia, and requires at least an hour.

Both types of surgery have the potential for nerve damage, but it's less common in the laser surgery.

Source: Doctor's Guide

Comments
May 3, 2006 at 2:05 pm
(1) venturi s says:

Int J Cancer. 2006 Apr 26; [Epub ahead of print] Related Articles, Links

Self-reported goiter is associated with a significantly increased risk of gastric noncardia adenocarcinoma in a large population-based Chinese cohort.

Abnet CC, Fan JH, Kamangar F, Sun XD, Taylor PR, Ren JS, Mark SD, Zhao P, Fraumeni JF Jr, Qiao YL, Dawsey SM.

Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD.

Iodine is concentrated by the gastric mucosa, where it may act as an antioxidant. Therefore, iodine deficiency, and its sequelae goiter, may be associated with an increased risk of gastric cancer. We examined the association between self-reported goiter and upper gastrointestinal cancer in a Chinese cohort of 29,584 adults. Using multivariate adjusted Cox models, we found goiter associated with a significantly increased risk of gastric noncardia adenocarcinoma, HR (95% CI) 2.04 (1.01, 4.11) and nonsignificantly with gastric cardia adenocarcinoma, HR (95% CI) 1.45 (0.91, 2.30). We also found a borderline, insignificant increased risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, HR (95% CI) 1.37 (0.97, 1.94). Our findings are consistent with the hypothesis that iodine deficiency is associated with an increased risk of gastric cancer. Published 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

May 9, 2006 at 8:26 pm
(2) Cat says:

I flew to this Italian doc from Los Angeles and he was able to laser my 3 nodules. :)

June 2, 2011 at 3:36 am
(3) sheela says:

hi i wud like to know if in mauritius laser thyroid nodule surgery is done . how much it cost and where it is done

September 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(4) Marcia says:

How are you doing two years later? I am thinking of flying over there for laser ablation of my thyroid nodules.

May 18, 2006 at 11:24 am
(5) Elke says:

Who is this doctor is Los Angeles? How do I contact the doc to plan the laser surgery?

September 18, 2006 at 4:56 pm
(6) FRANCIS SWANN says:

MY NODULE IS GROWING I WOULD LIKE TO
KNOW MORE ABOUT LASER SURGERY . LAST
YEAR 3CM NOW IT COVERS RIGHT SIDE.
WILL AMERICAN INSURANCE COVER IF I HAVE TO GO TO ITALY. HELP

September 20, 2006 at 11:21 am
(7) Kelley says:

I’m scheduled for radiation treatment for my 9 benign, but growing nodules. I’m scared, and would like to know more about the laser treatment. One of my nodules is growing ‘in’ – anybody????

April 30, 2011 at 10:42 pm
(8) Ali says:

Did you ever get the laser surgery??
Please reply.
Thanks
Ali

November 28, 2006 at 5:20 pm
(9) KAJ says:

I just received a biopsy on my 3 thyroid nodules and am awaiting the results. How do I contact this doctor for laser surgery if needed?

Thanks
KAJ

August 9, 2007 at 11:11 am
(10) May says:

I would really like to know how much it cost to do the laser surgery. I am planning to have a baby and I was told if I have thyroid problem it is risky. I might have miscarriage, premature birth, intellectual development of the baby is affected. I do not want that to happen. Please help me find a good doctor and an estimate so I can prepare for it. I do not have insurance right now. Thank you.

September 9, 2007 at 5:45 am
(11) Wilfredo empleo says:

Please help me how much it will cost for this laser technology if I go this Italian doc? I have a enlargement of my left thyroid Nodule.Is this technology available now in the Philippines? Thanks for the help that you can provide me.

September 22, 2007 at 3:51 pm
(12) Chris says:

How, where do I find a Dr. in the US that does this laser procedure. I am facing complete thryroid removal soon.

Chris

June 1, 2008 at 11:29 am
(13) susan says:

Great to hear this about the laser surgery. I asked my doctor at Medical center in SF, Ca. and they said there was no such treatment for thyroids.

July 11, 2008 at 2:30 pm
(14) bidur bhandari says:

im suffering from hyperthyroidism for four years, please advice how can i get this treatmetn, i with to treat my hyperthyroidism via laser, im from Kathmandu Nepal, please help me in this reard

January 16, 2009 at 6:32 pm
(15) christabyl sue says:

my mom has hyperthyroidism and advise for a laser, what are possible complications of this procedure. is it safe

February 13, 2009 at 2:03 pm
(16) ruzzell says:

may i know how much will it cost me if i will undergo laser surgery?Please reply me as soon as possible i don’t have insurance.

March 14, 2009 at 12:04 pm
(17) Sharnila says:

I have 2 nodules in my throat of abt 3-4 cm. i would like to know if you know where in the indian ocean in which country can laser surgery be performed.very very urgent!!pls help

Mauritius

April 21, 2009 at 8:54 pm
(18) Norgia Lopez says:

PLease somebody can tell me how to get in touch with this Dr for the laser Thyroid nodule , I have a 4 cm nodule & I have been waiting 5 years to see if they do something better than the traditional surgery.

April 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm
(19) Norgia says:

Hi, I have a thyroid nodule around 4 cm, (big), & I dont have to go under the tradicional surgery , can somebody tell me how to get in touch with this Dr.

June 20, 2009 at 10:41 pm
(20) Dr. Baek says:

Large thyroid nodule could be treated by radiofrequency ablation, whihc has been used for variable tumors.

September 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm
(21) Marcia says:

Is there anywhere in the United States where this is done?

August 17, 2009 at 3:39 am
(22) Julie says:

I live in Los Angeles and have a large nodule on my thyroid and my doctor is recommending thyroid removal. I would really like to know if anyone has done the laser removal and who the Italian doctor in LA is. Please.

August 17, 2009 at 7:44 pm
(23) Sue says:

Why would I want the surgery if the nodules if they
are the result of a condition that continues to cultivate cells resulting in the growth of more nodules? ….unless they are becoming invasive and interfering with normal functioning of the area???
Wouldn’t someone like me with Hashimotos be simply walking a treadmill of repetitive procedures?

September 5, 2009 at 6:11 am
(24) aileen says:

i am 23yrs old. i have a 1cm nodule on my right thyroid. how much does the laser surgery would cost here in the philippines? i am planning to go abroad for work i’m just waiting for my visa. is drinking beer/any alcoholic drink will aggravate my nodule? please help me.

March 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm
(25) maureen says:

I have a nodule on my neck,ve gone for thyroid test and it was stated that I have u-thyroid which is normal but the nodule has to be removed surgically
Now dat I’ve learnt of this procedure,hw do I get it and hw much will it cost.
I will be in london next week can I get a refferal so I can get it out of the way as it is becoming embarrasing.
Urgent response is needed.
Thanks

April 18, 2011 at 1:19 am
(26) badal says:

i have a benign noduke in right neck about 3.25 cm.

can i go for laser surgery without general aneshasia (GA). IF POSSIBLE PLS CONFIRM WHERE TO CONTACT FOR THAT.

THANKS/ BADAL

April 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(27) ali says:

I can not find a number for the doc in italy that does the laser surgery for benign nodules. Do you have it? Also the doctors in LA and orange County, ca, in south carolina and at john hopkins only want to take out the thyroid! I don’t want it out if no cancer. I have a fax number to the white house. Think writting letters might help bring medicine into the 21st century in this country?

April 30, 2011 at 10:58 pm
(28) Ali says:

Are there any doctors in the U.S. who do the laser surgery for benign thryroid nodules?? In England or Canada??
Please reply
Thanks
Ali

December 7, 2011 at 5:13 am
(29) cath says:

Is there any laser treatment for thyroid here in the Philippines? Can you enumerate some medical city who offer this treatment? And how much could be the cost of the laser treatment….hoping for your kind response…tnx =)

December 23, 2011 at 11:03 am
(30) Luca says:

Hi all,
here in Italy there are many hospitals where you can find laser treatment procedures for benign thyroid nodule reduction. The procedure is easy to perform without general anesthesia in a outpatient room, monitorized by ultrasound, last less then half an hour and then you can go home after a general health check-up . Then your nodule starts to decrease in volume up to 60-70% in volume. Great technology!!!

January 13, 2012 at 2:23 am
(31) Monica says:

Hi I would like to ask if laser is also for hyperthyroidism/ toxic? whats the effect after? Where is in Manila located were they is laser treated? Coz I want mine to be done ASAP thanks

February 18, 2012 at 9:22 pm
(32) Yelena says:

Please provide the doctor info in USA, preferably in New York, who can do laser treatment to remove the thyroid nodule. I already have three on my neck and its growing fast. I watched a program on TV about this procedure that is very safe and efficient. This outpatient procedure is very common in Europe and Russia.

March 12, 2012 at 9:02 pm
(33) Jess says:

U.s. only recommends removal. I am doing research and will send details if I can find on the laser surgery for thyroid

April 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm
(34) Ephy says:

Ablation is not available or practiced anywhere in the USA right now. It is standard procedure in many countries in Europe.

May 1, 2012 at 7:05 am
(35) Mario says:

Hi all,
I would like to explain what laser ablation on thyroid consists of. Maybe it would be useful for some talk or just as information.

Ultrasound guided percutaneous laser ablation consists of percutaneous insertion of very thin optic fibers (from 1 to 3 depending on the nodule volume), and the delivery of laser energy for a few minutes heating the tissue until it is destroyed. The planning of the treatment, the inserting of the needles, and the monitoring are all guided by ultrasound.
Laser ablation is a mini-invasive procedure for treating benign thyroid lesions such as cold or single nodules in multi-nodular goitre. Results are a progressive nodule reduction with improvement of symptoms in the neck.
Main adavantages are:
short treatment times (about 30 minutes, including patient-preparation); No total anestesia only conscious sedation; Day-hospital procedure; good aesthetic results (no scars); thin needles not traumatic for neck structures (21-22G); compressive symptoms reduction; no compromising of further therapeutic actions.

Hope I was helpful.

June 24, 2012 at 6:12 pm
(36) tracy says:

Do you know of any doctors in Alabama that do outpatient laser surgery for removal of nodules of the thyroid.

June 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(37) Carol Oliveri says:

I am looking for a doctor in the new York area that is familiar with the laser ablation of a large nodual I have un a multi nodual goieter.

Would really appreciate any info.

July 5, 2012 at 12:41 am
(38) MARY GIVHAN says:

I HAVE A LARGE NODULE GOITER ON MY RIGHT SIDE OF MY NECK. I WOULD LIKE FIND A DOCTOR THAT DOES LASER SURGERY. PLEASE RESPOND ASAP. THANKS

July 9, 2012 at 7:03 am
(39) Maria says:

Doctors have advise that I under go surgery to remove an enlarged thyroid. I had a partial thyroidectomy in 1992 on my left side. I do believe remain tissue grew and cause my thyroid to enlarge. Now, I have growth on both the left and right side with large nodules. My question is this: I had my throat cut in 1992. Now doctors want to reopen the scar to remove the thyroid. I have heard so many horrific stories about total removal of the thyroid and reopening the throat. Is it possible to have laser surgery to completely remove the thyroid gland?

Worried and out of options. Thank you for your comments.

November 14, 2012 at 7:48 am
(40) Lucas says:
April 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm
(41) Alice says:

Hi all, take a look at FB group Thyroid Nodule Laser Ablation.

October 24, 2013 at 9:45 am
(42) sowande Margaret says:

where can my mum have this laser treatment done on her benign but growing goitre?Thanks

November 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm
(43) Frances Randazzo says:

RFA ablation on benign thyroid nodules as well as ethanol ablation has been very effective on reducing size of nodules. EA has been effective mostly on cystic nodules and RFA on the harder nodules.

Since the EA blation is less expensive , it is considered the best choice.

There were many studies done in st Mary in Korea.

There has been treatments done in Mt. Sinai in NY.

Looking into it for myself . Why remove a healthy thyroid , when nodules re benign?

December 30, 2013 at 12:06 am
(44) Marcy says:

Laser ablation of thyroid benign nodule with our system is not yet available in USA at the moment.
In Italy the treatment cost ranges from 1500 to 3000 euro for private hospitals (it depends on the structure and it’s better to check case by case).
Before scheduling the procedure you should be sure that your disease has indications for LA treatment. For this, you should contact a doctor specialist in minimally invasive laser techniques.

Below you can find a list of doctors and structures who receive patients from abroad.

- Prof. Enrico Papini, Endocrinology Unit, Regina Apostolorum Hospital, Albano Laziale, 00041 Rome, Lazio – email: papinie@gmail.com

- Prof. Pierpaolo De Feo, Endocrinology Department, Santa Maria della Misericordia Hospital, Perugia, Umbria, email:pierpaolodefeo@gmail.com Take a look at http://goo.gl/7OxvR

- Teresa Rago, MD Assistant professor at Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Via Paradisa, 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy- email: rago@endoc.med.unipi.it

See in the map where is located: http://goo.gl/maps/ucCEP

Recently we activated a centre for laser ablation of thyroid nodule in Paris.
For that you can refer to Dr Hervé Monpeyssen at Hôpital Américain de Paris email: hm-endocrino@wanadoo.fr

February 11, 2014 at 5:11 pm
(45) littleonw says:

I flew to Italy and had it done and have subsequently helped a few people go there and get the procedure. Send me an email if you need help. ShadowofLocusts@gmail.com