1. Health

Mary Shomon

What You Need To Know About The Benefits Of Magnesium

By May 26, 2005

Eating on the run? Trying out a new fad diet? Forgetting to eat your veggies? If you've answered yes to any of these questions, you aren't alone. Busy schedules, fad diets and bad eating habits get in the way of proper nutrition. The good news is that nearly 80 percent of Americans are taking mineral supplements and multi-vitamins to help replace much-needed nutrients including calcium, potassium and magnesium. Some people, including those with diabetes and cardiovascular disease, as well as chronic hypothyroidism, are at even greater risk of a nutrient deficiency because of the nature of these conditions. In fact, up to 90 percent of Americans don't get the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of magnesium from their diet alone. This might account for the fact that the amount of magnesium people are getting has plummeted over 50 percent over the last century! If you aren't getting enough magnesium, you might be experiencing symptoms of magnesium deficiency. Symptoms can include leg cramps, migraines, fatigue, loss of appetite, depression, nausea and vomiting or high blood pressure.

Magnesium is an important mineral that is often overlooked. In fact, up to 90 percent of Americans don't get the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of magnesium from their diet alone. This might account for the fact that the amount of magnesium people are getting has plummeted over 50 percent over the last century! If you aren't getting enough magnesium, you might be experiencing symptoms of magnesium deficiency. Symptoms can include leg cramps, migraines, fatigue, loss of appetite, depression, nausea and vomiting or high blood pressure.

The RDA of magnesium is 320 mg/day for women and 420 mg/day for men. In order to get the recommended amount, you'd have to eat large quantities of foods high in magnesium. To make up for not getting the right amount through their diet alone, many people take magnesium supplements. Renal failure patients should not take a magnesium supplement. As with any supplement, you should consult your physician.

"Not getting the right amount of magnesium is a growing concern for everyone-it's vital to overall health, especially for those people with certain medical conditions," says Andrea Rosanoff, co-author of a consumer education book titled "The Magnesium Factor." "Eating foods like leafy greens, mixed nuts and whole grain foods that contain a lot of magnesium is a good start, but it's also important to take a magnesium supplement, to make sure you are getting the right amount."

So why is magnesium so important? It plays a big part in keeping the heart healthy, making sure bones are strong and helping the body absorb other important minerals such as calcium and potassium. Magnesium supplementation also helps people with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease maintain adequate magnesium levels which is especially important for these patients. Magnesium is also important to women who are pregnant, experience menopause or are at risk for osteoporosis. Getting the right amount of magnesium daily can help prevent leg cramps, migraines and fatigue.

It is estimated that up to 80 percent of those with type 2 diabetes have a magnesium deficiency. This happens when high glucose levels make the body flush magnesium from its system. In a recent study, people with diabetes who took magnesium supplements had improved insulin and glucose levels.

Magnesium is also good for the heart. People with heart conditions, including heart attacks, high blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms and coronary artery disease, are more likely to be magnesium deficient. In fact, studies show that people with low amounts of magnesium in the body are twice as likely to develop coronary heart disease, and that magnesium supplementation can lower cholesterol by as much as 20 percent. Magnesium supplementation can increase individuals' magnesium levels and minimize the risks associated with heart disease.

Women of all ages can benefit from magnesium-it's been shown to help build and maintain strong bones, relieve symptoms of menopause and premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and minimize the risk of premature labor. A recent study showed that pregnant women with pre-eclampsia (a condition marked by water retention, high blood pressure, and protein in the urine) taking magnesium supplements had a 58 percent lower incidence of eclampsia, which are seizures associated with pre-eclampsia.

Magnesium is an essential mineral to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It's important for people with certain medical conditions, as well as anyone who may have a magnesium deficiency with symptoms including leg cramps, migraines and fatigue, to take a magnesium supplement.

Comments
June 18, 2006 at 4:34 am
(1) Bob says:

I really do like your writing skills…

Bob

January 14, 2007 at 9:58 pm
(2) 43 year old guy says:

I’ve been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and was experiencing heart palps. My natural-path put me on a crazy vitamin and supplement regiment and magnesium is the most important of them all. When I get heart palps, I just take extra magnesium 250 mg and in 20 minutes it all goes away.

June 18, 2007 at 6:50 pm
(3) Tracy says:

I have been through the gamut with cranial nerve palsy – reason unknown – I take magnesium for the tinnitus (constant noise in the ears) – and it really helps. I’m not sure how it works – but I read on a message board that it may be helpful – so I gave it a shot.

February 4, 2008 at 1:57 pm
(4) Jon says:

I am a healthy 26 year old male and for the past several years I have been experiencing sweaty, cold hands, anxiety, sleep problems, and general trouble concentrating. Despite my regular jogging of 4-6km 3-4x a week and weight training routine 3-4x a week, if I were to stop exercising for a week I would feel extremely weak and out of shape. Almost as of all the benefits of my cardio disappeared.

Now i only began taking magnesium because someone recommended it to me for a pulled muscle that didn’t seem to go away. So being cautious, I started with 100mg the first two days, then 200mg the next two and I’m still at 200mg/day a week and a half later. not only has my muscle gotten better, I no longer have sweaty, cold hands and I feel healthier in general! I’ve taken a break from my jogging during the past week and my heart seems to be stronger than it usually gets when i stop jogging for a week.

Not only that, but I’m also noticing an improvement in my stamina and concentration for weight training! Sleeping is marginally better and so is my concentration.

I wonder why my GP never recommended this to me. I’ll talk to him about it during my next physical.

February 24, 2008 at 9:38 am
(5) Robin says:

This was a very interesting article. I have suffered from leg cramps during exercise for years. I can’t even walk any distance at a good pace without pain. A friend in my Zumba class recommended Slow Mag so I started taking it yesterday but I didn’t know anything about it.

After reading your article, I am feeling hopeful it might help and even more hopeful that it might help my overall well being.

Thank you for the great article.

June 29, 2008 at 5:31 pm
(6) Lisa D says:

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure so I started taking CALM..an all natural powered magnesium that I drink like a tea before bed! wow that with Dandelion root tea three times a day has my blood pressure totally under control AND the magnesium helps me sleep like a baby! Your article is good news for us all..thanks

November 21, 2008 at 2:32 pm
(7) Skull says:

I’ve had shoulder pain for years, including tingling feeling down to my hands. I saw somewhere on the internet that someone with similar symptoms tried magnesium for it. So I gave it a try, and sure enough my shoulder pains went away after about a week and haven’t returned since I’ve been taking magnesium. And of all the vitamins I take, this is the first one that I actually notice a real result.

November 27, 2008 at 1:14 pm
(8) Big Bird says:

Thanks

January 10, 2009 at 8:14 pm
(9) Stephanie Rogers says:

Another option would be to use magnesium transdermally no? Ancient Minerals magnesium oil products seem to be the most talked about, although I have never tried them personally. You can get more information at magnesiumforlife.com

January 29, 2009 at 8:35 pm
(10) Anne Masi says:

After suffering with undiagnosed hypothyroidism for 2 years and struggling with the proper treatment for the last year, I finally went to my “brother recommended” Chiropractor today. Wow….what an amazingly knowledgeable man. He started me on magnesium today along with a high protein diet. I’m a carbaholic so this should be interesting but I’m soooo thankful to have a doc that may be able to help.

February 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm
(11) Nici says:

I recommend Natural Calm Magnesium
and Calcium Supplements! They are wonderful and help a lot!

August 25, 2009 at 4:44 pm
(12) Ted says:

magneforce is magnesium drops. It’s a liquid so the body absorbs it much better. It’s concept is pretty cool as it tells you the different ways you can integrate it in to your food and lifestyle. Kind of like a way of living.

September 13, 2009 at 3:04 am
(13) Khendra says:

Great article. I was looking into the healthy diet I have been faithfully following for the last year, and I noticed I get lots of magnesium. No wonder I feel better than I did a year ago.

January 16, 2010 at 9:00 pm
(14) J. Lea says:

I have had SEVERE leg/foot/toe cramps since my Lumbar Laminectomy 3 yrs ago. All my blood tests are good. (no deficiencies) I get them whether I am walking, sitting, standing, or sleeping. Sometimes they have lasted as long as 2 hrs, with NO relief, no matter what I do. (massage, heat, walk, stretch) To say they have taken over my life would not be an overstatement. My PCP physician has offered NO suggestions. But my Orthopedist suggested and PROMISED that magnesium would help. I will try it and get back to let you know is this is true. Although I told him I am NOT deficient in ANY of my vitamins.

February 4, 2010 at 8:42 am
(15) Mark says:

I have been taking Natural Factors MSM Joint Formula with Glucosamine & Chondoitin Sulfate for about 6 months now. I could easily lose 15 to 20 lbs so I am somewhat over my weight but this winter I have noticed a marked improvement in my arthritis in my joints especially my ankles. I know without any doubts that it is working for me. I take 6 capsules a day which on the high end is recommended. Thanks to my son he has put me on the right track. Another good one is DHA (Plant Source Microalgae Oil (Solaray) These products can be purchased at your local natural health store.

June 23, 2010 at 7:47 pm
(16) Dee says:

For you that suffer (fibromyalgia) like I do. I was told it was present in my body. After doctors,&Doctors trying different Meds. In my research I saw an ad. on magnesium spray for pain I thought I don’t have the spray but, I have the vitamins, so I took the vitamins lord behold I felt better in a hour or so I noticed the pain was lessening more and more. Now I take it on a daily basis. Not only did it help the pain I feel calmer, brain fog is gone, a lot more energy, body aches lessened, in essense I feel like a human being again.

July 12, 2010 at 12:24 pm
(17) Libby Gunter says:

I had a really painful time with my heel hurting and found out that it was plantars fishitis. My pharmacist in a compound pharmacy suggetsted I try the Magnesium twice a day (200 mg ea.) and the pain went away in one week. I could not believe it. I paid$450.00 for orthotic inserts that did not do that well. What a life saver.

August 31, 2010 at 2:07 pm
(18) Tiza says:

This is a great article. I have suffered from many of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency before I started taking my magnesium malate back in the early summer of 2007. I had horrible back pain, which my back was always going out on me. I had leg cramps and RLS symptoms many nights, fatigue.

It’s amazing how many people in the US are deficient, and being how important that it is, that is scary.

September 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm
(19) Susan says:

I have had tingling and twitching for a few years in my legs. I just started a liquid form of magnesium and 20 minutes after I took it I noticed a difference. I have been taking supplements for many years now and I have never felt a direct result like this before. I also feel much calmer and more relaxed in general.

November 11, 2010 at 2:03 am
(20) Patty says:

I was hurting with hip bursitis, Fibromyagia, with pain in back and elbows. Saw to take this in a Fibro forum and the next day felt 90% better. Been 3 days, taking it once at night and in the am. Still feel great. Frigging miracle… Want to shout it to the world.

November 16, 2010 at 2:53 pm
(21) George says:

I am a 54 year old male and started taking Magnesium at the recommendation of a message therapist. After 2 weeks I have been cured from insomnia and the chronic pain in my neck and mid back are nearly gone. Better yet, I have have worn contacts for many years and my eyes have been getting worse each year and I have needed stronger contacts each year. This morning I went to my annual eye exam and my doctor said my eyes have improved to 20/20 which is unheard of! Magnesium is the only new mineral I have taken the past year and it is the only answer. I owe so much to that message therapist!

July 29, 2011 at 12:40 pm
(22) Helen Styes says:

I just read a comment you made about Magnesium on the internet. Can you tell me what Brand you use and also how much do you take every day?! I have leg cramps at night. I am 56. thank You , very much. Sincerely, Helen

January 10, 2011 at 2:32 am
(23) Jo says:

I’ve researched that magnesium is one vital mineral that is often overlooked and commonly deficient in average American diets. I take a 250mg dose on a sporadic daily basis but usually before bedtime. I haven’t noticed too many benefits from it, but I read online that it helps relax your muscles (obviously true from the posts above about it relieving muscle pain). I also read that it is a great resource to combat high blood sugar and diabetes. I am young, 20 years old, but I drink multiple cans of soda daily. Usually 3, maybe even 4 or 5. Almost equivalent to a 2 liter. I am hoping that while weening off of the addiction, magnesium will help keep my blood sugar in good regulation.

January 14, 2011 at 11:19 pm
(24) Delighted!c says:

I read elsewhere and heard on one of Dr. Oz’s shows that 500 – 1000 mg daily of madnesium–along with other commonly recommended approaches (ample water, fiber, proper diet, etc.) does wonders for regularity. I am in my 70s and have NEVER had anything work; doctors’ recommendation in year past were useless. I take 800 mg daily and it is like a miracle!! In fact, I now go after every meal. It is definitely a miracle supplement. WHAT A BLESSING!!! (I get the Nature Made high potency in gel capsules from COSTCO)

October 4, 2011 at 8:54 am
(25) Barbara says:

Thank you so much for your comment!! you not only gave me the dose I want to start taking but where to get it. thanks so much

January 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm
(26) azenath says:

really like all the feedback on magnesium. was put onto it by a pharmacist friend while travelling due to worsening aching & restless legs (cramped plane rides aggravated it & the sciatica in my back resulting in taking morphine type meds & anti-inflammatories for the pain). friend recommended it saying it was beneficial for heavy consumers of caffeine (& alcohol, which i stay away from). felt the difference in 2 days & got off the pain killers. 5 months on i am able to get back to regular exercising without always taking weeks off to recover due to painful leg cramps, back strain & developing hip pain which i was continuously vulnerable to. like others all blood work in past did not indicate any deficiency. also assisted in pms systoms too, so great stuff & highly recommend it!!

February 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm
(27) nai says:

I removed my thyroid about a year ago, and since then I have lost almost all my hair. It grows an falls right back out. tried dermatologist, endo’s ..name it ..no one knows the problem. my hair grows back healthy and then overnite I get burning, itchy and painful scalp and lose hair overnite as well. I have no idea..I am still on armour and cannot locate any help…

February 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm
(28) Nai says:

if u can help or reffre me ..email me at knai79@yahoo.com

September 13, 2011 at 4:57 pm
(29) BA says:

Nai, Please get a blood test to check your Ferritin levels. Hypthyroids tend to have low ferritin, and since you had your thyroid removed you might be hypo now. Low Ferritin levels cause extensive hair loss. I had the same problem for years after my thyroidectomy even though I had normal TSH levels (not hypo) and it was discovered recently, I am on iron supplements and got my ferritin levels back up, hair loss stopped.

February 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm
(30) T says:

NAI
don’t know if if would help you but a product Immunocal helps w/immune support, etc. check it out and get all the info about what the results are for many conditions…also, could lazer treatments help?

February 8, 2011 at 6:24 am
(31) Anna says:

Since my hypothyroidism started I have been in pain all over my body, but my feet and the soles of them were the worst. I could hardly walk. Now I take magnesium every day and my pain is gone!

February 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(32) Kandy says:

Last year in April, I had a Total Thyroidectomy. I have been hypothyroid ever since, and now am convinced that I have been hypo for most of my life. My life has slowly deteriorated to the point where I have been in a wheelchair for 3 months. I was diagnosed with Myoclonus, uncontrollable tremors in my upper body and face. They put me on anti-seizure meds, and sent me on my way. I have been doing massive research, and using the Merck’s Manual online to research all my symptoms. Long story short, I found that one of the things that could cause many of my symptoms was a shortage of Magnesium. So I grabbed my box of Epsom Salts yesterday and started dosing myself. I felt the difference in my muscles within an hour, and cross my fingers….I have felt better today than I have felt in months. I have a long recovery in front of me, but at least there is some relief and hope on the horizon!

April 20, 2011 at 7:52 am
(33) Eunice says:

I can’t believe you didn’t mention eating magnesium-rich foods like bananas in your article.

April 24, 2011 at 7:28 am
(34) Liz says:

@Eunice

Bananas are not a good magnesium source. In fact, they are a very low source. You must be thinking of potassium. Bananas are potassium-rich (but a med. baked potato has twice the potassium as a banana).

A banana only has 32mg’s of magnesium. No one could eat enough of them in a day to get a decent dose of magnesium, which is why supplements are the way to go in this case.

If you’re looking for food sources of magnesium though, the best ones are nuts and grains and dates.

July 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(35) Ticking Clock says:

Tired of this hooey. I’ve been taking magnesium and vitamins for years. Now I’m told I have calcium in my veins from the magnesium absorption so i need bypass surgery. I dont drink or smoke and eat lean foods. These experts should be thrown in concentration camps!

August 28, 2011 at 9:18 am
(36) ConCerned says:

Ticking clock. You said that you have been taking magnesium and vitamins for years. Did you also take calcium? Another question; what dose of magesium did you take? A prophylactic, or a therapeutic dose?

November 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm
(37) Lee says:

I was under a lot of stress and had lots of pain in my neck and back and my nervers where on edge. Just snappie at everything. I could not find any relief at all. So I went to the local herb store and picked up “CALM” natural magnesuim $19.99 and I took it with hot water. I will swear on this stuff it’s the greatest stuff ever…with in 20 min’s my pain was gone and my nerves where at peace.. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! Liquid Gold…

November 22, 2011 at 9:09 am
(38) Jose Castro says:

I started experiencing PVCS last year.I ended it up in the emergency room were lots of tests were done and everthing came up normal with no problems.I thought I was having heart problems.I followed up with my Doc and did more test, nothing out of the ordinary everthing was normal. I came across an article about Magnesium deficency.I gave it a try (take 250mg of Magnesium a day)and all the symptoms were gone.I am suprise my doctor did it even mentioned it.

January 31, 2012 at 3:03 pm
(39) Doug says:

I have been insulin dependent for 35 years and use an insulin pump. I have had many issues with constipation, sleeping, leg cramps, leaky eyes and fatigue. I started taking 400mg of magnesium daily and have noticed a marked improvement already with the issues noted. I am still in my first week but couldn’t let the noticeable change go without saying something. My blood sugar readings have improved and I should also note that salads have become a bigger part of my diet.

March 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm
(40) JoAnne says:

does taking one ounce of citrate of magnesium help?

April 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm
(41) syvia Burns says:

i was just release from emergency. Iwas given an IV with 2cm of magnesium.Iwas sweaty “& hot all over,became very dizzy with diarhea. I had toes,feet “& a lot or leg cramps. I didn’t have enough magnesium in my body.Could this have been my issues?.Drs couldn;t diagnoise me,but they said my magnesium was low.How much is 2cm of magnesium?

May 17, 2012 at 8:08 am
(42) Ann says:

I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism for five years and have had a lot of inflammatory problems with my muscles, after this severe pain for many months I decided to go on natural dessicated thyroid preparation (dried pigs glands) instead of synthetic thyroxine, and all the pains went except for in my hips, and then I was diagnosed with Bursitis; I had found that if I had a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom Salts (which is magnesium sulphate) then the Bursitis pains were gone for two or three days or more sometimes, so I have just discovered that I must be low in magnesium in my body, so I have just gone out to the health food shop and bought some chelated magnesium tablets and being chelated are more easily absorbed so hopefully my Bursitis will be cured, so far the Epsom Salts have done a wonderful job but I haven’t got time to do this every night. P.s the reason they are called Epsom Salts is because in the past there was a well or water in Epsom (in England) where people used to go and bath and this would take all their pains away, it was found that this water was very high in magnesium. So nowadays we have the formula already made up for us in magnesium sulphate being Epsom Salts.

May 21, 2012 at 9:05 am
(43) James says:

I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome about 12 months ago, I have to say this condition turned my life upside down. Feeling fatigued out, aching, brain frog, unable to sleep and generally feeling unwell evey day. About two weeks ago, I read this arical and further one, surrounding Maghesium. After taking 4 lots of 300mg during a four day period, I noticed significant changes relating how I was feeling, less brain fog, feeling more calm inside, and sleep has improving. Don’t get me wrong, I still have symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome remain. But this has certainly helped me.

June 1, 2012 at 9:39 pm
(44) Julie says:

Magnesium is indeed essential for our body and can prevent numerous health problems. But I don’t believe it will give you benefits if you take it excessively. People keep thinking they find miracle pills and swallow more than recommended. Anything excessive mostly is bad. You can eat all healthy stuff, but if you eat it uncontrollable, you still be obese. The same with magnesium and other vitamins/minerals.

August 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(45) Bertha says:

Thank you, thank you! I have been diagnosed with hypothy… and for the last five years I have been on medication.
I wonder if I can take magnesium and my prescription together?

October 12, 2012 at 11:11 am
(46) jim says:

try a product called “calm” a highly absorbable magnesium powder- amazon has best price, it works great fof constipation

October 13, 2012 at 6:23 am
(47) julie says:

I have just started taking Magnesium after experiencing restless legs also stiff muscles . A friend suggested Magnesium sup and it took affect after a few days Im so happy with the result. Also i feel alot calmer and relaxed Amazing . Im 50 years old so try this supp it really works quickly .

November 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm
(48) Eugene Wilson says:

Your article was very enlightening. I had not idea of the benefits of magnisium and calcinm. I purchased today a supliment for calcium which also contained magnesium. I thought well i don’t need the magnesium but it was included anyway.
After reading you article, i am am glad that the product also included magnesium.

Thank you so much.

January 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm
(49) Rc66 says:

Magnesium is amazing but you can get too much magnesium. After researching and seeing that transdermal was very effective, I did therapudic dead sea salt baths which are very high in magnesium (using several cups of salts at a time). While researching I had repeatedly seen assurances that you could not take up too much magnesium through the skin as it would self regulate. Well this was apparently not true in my case. I did see improvements and was excited but apparently over did it by bath 5 or 6 (2-3 days appart). With further research it seems your calcium to magnesium ratios are important to thyriod function so maybe taking care to not take magnesium alone for too long might be worth consideration. I started having a thyriod issue which I had never experienced. Also, even though it complicates things even further, it seems important to also consider vitamin d3 and k2 for inclusion as these all have a sort of synergy that seem reliant on each other. Just a warning to look into these matters before going head long into taking magnesium alone. But also to say it IS worth the effort as it works.

January 14, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(50) willmania says:

I started taking magnesium oxide at the first of 2013. Within 2 days I was no longer depressed (have dealt w/ constant “blueness” – mild depression? – for years). Then I read that oxide isn’t all that good & that I should switch to citrate. Within a week of switching to citrate the depression has returned in full. Does anyone know why? I have a hard time believing that the oxide version of magnesium is actually better for me because all I’ve read is that your body hardly absorbs any of it.

May 2, 2013 at 1:38 pm
(51) Olivia says:

I too started taking Magnesium in the beginning of 2013. I stumbled across and article Can Magnesium Treat Depression? and things just started to make sense. I began taking a daily magnesium supplement and my life has changed. I highly recommenced it.

June 3, 2013 at 9:48 pm
(52) danish says:

liquid chlorophyll!!!!!

July 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(53) nancy clelland says:

number 26 azenath is have the same problem with my legs how manumanytablets do u take?

August 19, 2013 at 7:12 pm
(54) Sarah says:

I had severe leg and toe cramping and would wake up in the middle of the night in such horrible stiff pain. Some nights I could hardly walk. Didn’t matter what i did. Someone recommended Magnesium from Shoppers Drug mart and cramps completely went away in my toes and legs. I stopped taking them for a month and then the cramps started to come back again so I started taking them again and again no cramping. I took 250 mg once a day. I even took them when i had the cramp and it worked immediately. I am going to go to Costco and buy the high potency gel caps as they dissolve faster, and i dont like the hard tablets. After reading other reviews im going to take 800 mg a day to see if my blues goes away. I have cronic blues and moodiness and want to see if that helps like other viewers.

September 8, 2013 at 12:02 am
(55) random thoughts says:

just today I finally convinced my husband a truck driver to take magnesium….but not to pick up magnesium caltrate….he has severe leg cramps every night and just this week all day long…this has been a problem for quite a while….his drs. don’t seem alarmed but when I see the pain I understand I suffer from severe RLS that extends now into my arms….so i began research…I am on Requip but also alot of other meds as well as my husband so trying to get to the root of the problem not just a bandade….we will see what happens with him tonight and etc. the reason I specified not taking magnesium caltrate is as follows….magnesium loosens your muscles and calcium tightens your muscles contradicting one another…a bit of an oxy-moron *sp Men are suppose to take about 480 and women 250 dose daily ….good luck to you all and by the way it is midnight and my hubby is sound asleep!!!!!!!

September 18, 2013 at 12:42 am
(56) Jnea says:

5 months ago I got a bad migraine that lasted for 3 weeks. I started researching things to do to help and so I started taking CALM magnesium citrate. It did help my migraine some. I have continued taking it for the last five months a few time a week. Much to my surprise it has completely taken away the pain in my hip from bursitis. I have had pain for 15 years. If I jog/run I am in pain for months. A month ago I because I was not having any hip pain I decided to do some hill sprints and had no pain after. I am now able to run long distances with no pain at all. I am so incredibly happy and recommend CALM calcium/magnesium to anyone with bursitis. I have also had two shots of cortisone in my hip. the first one was 15 years ago and it lasted two years. the second one was 10 years ago and did not work. This magnesium citrate is like a miracle for me.

October 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm
(57) Lisa says:

I just went through an “experience” in a big-city emergency room for a possible heart attack. I was found to have hypomagnesemia, and was given magmesium in the hospital. I straightened up and was discharged from the ER. I slept for like 24 hours and then went to my trusty PC, fired it up and looked up hypomagnesemia. Imagine my surprise. I have been on proton pump inhibitors for about 10 years. I have had severe, constant watery diarrhea from my diabetes medication for more than 5 years. That’s every day. Drugstore remedies, probiotics, don’t help. I usually can’t even leave the house. If I need to leave the house, say a couple days out of the month, I can’t take metformin for a couple days before. My diabetes is ridiculous (blood sugars average 250 – 300 on high dosage insulin and metformin which makes me sick and glimipiride). So many symptoms of hypomagnesemia – I have got. The migraines, the leg cramps, the snappy temper (with rocketing blood pressure), etc., etc. The hospital has already notified my doctor, so I guess finally he will listen to me. I hope finally he will listen to me. I’m dumnfounded. All I needed was a bottle of pills from the drugstore.

October 19, 2013 at 9:50 am
(58) Knut Uthne says:

I have had type1 diabetes for some 32 years with good metabolic control most of the time. Over the last 2 years however, I have become more liberal with my blood glucose levels. During the same period, episodes of tachycardia with heat beats around 180/min have become more and more frequent. I started treatment with magnesium 300mg/day 8 weeks ago and so far I have not experienced one single tachycardia attack. Before I started with magnesium tachycardia occurred almost daily.

October 19, 2013 at 10:09 am
(59) Knut Uthne says:

I have had diabetes type1 for some 32 years with relatively good metabolic control. Over the last 2 years however I have become more liberal when it comes to blood glucose levels. During the same period I started experiencing tachycardia with heart beats around 180/min. In the beginning of August tachycardia occurred several times per week. I started taking 300mg magnesium per day on August 15th. Now, 8 weeks later, I can truthfully say that I have not experienced one single episode of tachycardia. In hospital the doctors started talking about pacemaker….when in fact magnesium was the missing link.

October 20, 2013 at 7:34 am
(60) Knut Uthne says:

Magnesium; some precautions.
A normal adult (man) has a total of approx. 1 mol (25g)magnesium in the body. Half of this is incorporated in the skeletal system. Of the rest approx. 98% is found within the cells. Thus only approx. 1 % of the magnesium is found as extracellular. This magnesium in turn is partly bound to proteins (35%) and partly as free magnesium ions (65%). Magnesium is a very important component of our bodies since it is involved in activating a variety of enzymes and maintaining a normal synthesis of proteins. The neuromuscular transmissions are also affected by the concentration of magnesium available. Deficiency in magnesium can lead to tiredness, asthenia (irritability, inability to concentrate, and drowsiness, with headache and vertigo). In more severe conditions cramps and tetani can occur. At the other end of the spectrum however, too much magnesium can cause severe problems leading to paralysis of the neuromuscular transmissions, respiratory paralysis and even cardiac arrest. Therefore an uninhibited consumption of over-the-counter magnesium supplements can be hazardous. Should you find that the content of this page, including the personal experiences, would tempt you to start treatment with magnesium visit your doctor first and have your blood magnesium levels analyzed. The concentration of the ionized fraction of magnesium is the most important since it is the most biologically active part.
The daily requirement of magnesium is defined as 320 mg/day for women and 420 mg/day for men as indicated above. In a healthy diet these requirements are normally met especially when vegetables are added to the menu.

October 30, 2013 at 11:02 am
(61) jandas2 says:

I began using Natural Calm a week ago with high expectations. I cut back on the dosage (to 1 tsp) after too many trips to the bathroom. This morning I started experiencing serious knee pain. I nearly fell down the stairs! Has anyone experienced knee pain? I’m afraid this product may not be right for me. Any thoughts?

November 6, 2013 at 12:43 am
(62) sue says:

dosages to high .please cut it in half

February 16, 2014 at 6:14 am
(63) Sariha says:

I am a 57 year old hypothyroid on Thyroxine daily. I am constantly tired, feeling depressed, the brain fog is unbelievable and no matter how hard I try cannot lose any weight. I like what I am reading about the positive affects of magnesium and will be going out to get some tomorrow, but I would also like to know if anyone has noticed any weight loss whilst supplementing with magnesium.
Thanking you for any feed-back on this matter.

March 19, 2014 at 5:14 pm
(64) reese says:

I visited my doc today because of persistent migraine headaches which are becoming more difficult to calm with maxalt. Have been taking B2 for two years and after some initial response, it doesn’t seem to be making much difference in frequency or intensity of headaches. Today, doc recommended adding 600 mg of magnesium per day and dumping the B2. I’ve read all the postings on this site and there aren’t many who discuss migraines. I’m concerned about the dose she’s recommending for me, it is much higher than the recommended 320mg. Has anyone had positive results in treating migraines? What is the minimum dose that folks need in order to get positive results?

May 18, 2014 at 8:21 pm
(65) Sharon says:

Is it true that you should NOT take calcium with magnesium? How much should one take of magnesium?