1. Health

Mary Shomon

Hypothyroidism After Brain Injury

By March 30, 2005

People often write to ask about whether or not hypothyroidism can be triggered by neck injury (like whiplash) or brain injury. Check out this interesting article from Dr. Arthur Croft that explores the connection between thyroid problems after traumatic brain injury.
Read the article now.
Comments
May 23, 2007 at 7:12 am
(1) M. R. says:

This happened to me. It took me at least 3 years to find information associating the link between whiplash and hypothyroidism, but to get doctors and lawyers to believe it – still working on that.

October 16, 2007 at 12:20 am
(2) Sheryl Peters says:

Me too!!! I changed careers after my accident – went back to school and became a nurse and my mission is to help educate medical people to not only take baseline thyroid tests following whiplash, advocate for patients to request testing. And educate patients to get copies of their medical records so they can see if their doctor is charting on their complaints that may be related to thyroid and charting on their request to test their thyroid levels. Some doctors are the “gatekeepers” for insurance companies – so patient beware! Always look over your medical records – get your labs and the part of your record that contains the physician and nurse’s notes. If they aren’t charting your complaints – you need to ask them why and find another doctor or insist on a referral to a endocrinologist.

January 10, 2008 at 12:18 pm
(3) D.L.H. says:

I had a nasty back injury which ended up putting severe (twist) pressure on my sacrum (bottom of back) and Atlas (top of back). Immediately after I displayed symptoms of acute hypothyroidism and was subsequently treated for it but no matter how much they increased the dose, (150ug!) it never lowered my THS below 6 and certainly didn’t deal with all the symptoms by a long chalk. Having since seen a chiropractor (two and a half years down the line!) who has greatly eased the back injury, I suddenly showed signs of huge overmedication of Levothyroxine, so I came off it completely. Now I don’t take any meds at all, and it’s been three months since going cold turkey. I feel fine now. I’m convinced my ’bout’ of hypothyroidism was instrinsically linked to my back injury. I was very healthy before the back injury, yet literally within a few days the symptoms started, and were immediately very powerful. It could easily be something simple like inflamed tissue in the neck and throat which is responding to aggravation by one’s spine and bones being quite badly in the wrong place/alignment, which in turn are compressing the thyroid gland and maybe other glands, veins, nerves too. The body is the shape it is for a reason and everything is slotted in ‘just so’, that’s why your foot goes numb when you sit on it funny and perhaps a similar thing happens to glands when soemthing somewhere else is constricted. It’s weird that some doctors out there are adamant that whiplash can’t cause hypothyroidism – too weird…

March 31, 2008 at 3:37 pm
(4) Laura says:

I’m wondering where the original article went, discussing brain injury and hypothyroidism? Does anyone know where I can find it?

August 28, 2011 at 1:27 am
(5) Barbara G says:

I found out that in addition to xrays,MRI,it was a discogram that revealed cervicle disc herniation in level C5,C6,C7. At level C6,C7, that it is possible to get hypothyroidism especially C6,C7.

December 2, 2008 at 3:39 pm
(6) Leigh says:

I am currently involed in a law suite where I was hit by a bus and developed hypothyroidism. It is so hard to get anyone to listen to you but YOU and YOU alone know your body!! Along with the weight gain came diabetic issues and very high blood pressure and heel spurs in both feet (if you have not ever had them they are very painful and makes it difficult to walk). I am currently on 10 medications, and let me point out I was not on ANY prior to this accident. I am looking for all of the reference and case study info that anyone can offer for my case. Thank you and good luck.

March 26, 2009 at 7:33 pm
(7) Pratul says:

Here is a good article I found from a Lawyer discussing Brain Injury complications from Whip Lash:

March 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm
(8) Pratul says:
June 17, 2009 at 7:56 pm
(9) W8M says:
October 30, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(10) Barbara G says:

I wound up having hypothyroidism after having a bad brain concussion and C5,C6,C7 herniation