1. Health

Mary Shomon

Hypothyroidism's Effects on Mental Health are Underestimated

By January 6, 2005

According to research recently reported on in the journal Hormone and Metabolic Research, the rate of depression is much higher in people who are hypothyroid than in the general population. The 254 patients studied were hypothyroid after radioiodine (RAI) treatment for hyperthyroidism, or after surgical removal of the gland after thyroid cancer. According to the researchers, people who had normal thyroid levels, or who were hyperthyroid did not show evidence of mental health disturbances. Hypothyroidism, however, had a significant impact, dramatically increasing the risk for what they termed "critical mood deterioration." The researchers concluded that "hypothyroidism represents a widely underestimated functional condition that may severely affect mental health."

Read more now about Thyroid Disease and Depression

Source: Larisch, et. al., "Depression and anxiety in different thyroid function states." Hormone Metab Res, 2004;36(9):650-653.

Comments
September 7, 2006 at 6:52 am
(1) mike martin says:

Very interesting, i have split up with my girl friend who had graves disease at he age of 22. She was treated with radioiodine that made her hypothyroid. she has taken thyroxine since. Her yearly blood tests seem to be satisfactory. But she has major mood swings and i believe she has bipolar disorder/cyclothymic. She lives in total denial about the posibility that there may be something wrong. Can the person have long term problems even if blood tests show that all is ok? I would be very interested in any other info. Thanks Michael Martin uk

March 13, 2008 at 3:12 pm
(2) christine says:

After loosing my throid to cancer, I have found the hpothroidism much more difficult to live with anything else. Along with depression I suffer from what I call swiss cheese brain. I don’t retain info as well and that in its self is very depressing. I just wish more people undersood.

July 13, 2008 at 10:31 am
(3) Jeanine says:

Ohhh my God!!! I THOUGHT THAT I WAS GOING CRAZY!!!

July 13, 2008 at 10:31 am
(4) Jeanine says:

Ohhh my God!!! I THOUGHT THAT I WAS GOING CRAZY!!!

July 18, 2008 at 7:35 am
(5) Theresa says:

My 16 year old daughter became hypothyroid 5 years ago. Since then, her school performance really diminshed. We had a math tutor for her this year, but I had the chance to see that despite this support, she would forget how to apply the concepts on homework or tests. After talking to her endo, he tells me her levels look fine…looking for a new endo.There has to be some way to help her out of this fog and “flat” state.

March 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm
(6) Alex says:

Hey Theresa, i believe Dr. David Skaer can help you out on any new results or help, matter of fact it goes for anyone else. I’m one of his students in his class, at one of the university he teaches, he has alot of knowledge and based information that can help anyone out.

July 18, 2008 at 9:54 am
(7) carrie says:

This is for Mike Martin. A “normal” range may not be considered normal anymore. A new “normal” range is now recognized by many professionals since so many people felt hypothyroid in the normal range and I can attest to this as true. I have been told that my thyroid labs were in the normal range but yet i still felt hypothyroid. I am now seeing an endocrinologist who believes in the new normal range and I feel better. Hope this helps!

March 15, 2011 at 1:52 pm
(8) Alex says:

Yes, an Endocrinologist will help alot.

July 18, 2008 at 12:46 pm
(9) Helen says:

My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s a year and a half ago and we only just got her levels correct. She takes both Levothyroxine and Cytomel (T3). Before being diagnosed, she was severely depressed and suicidal and went from being a consistent honor roll student to failing almost everything. If she forgets her medication, her mood is severely affected…angry/hostile/depressed. I’ve said this to doctors and psychiatrists before and they look at me like I’m an idiot. It’s nice to get a little vindication! I’m not making it up or imagining it.

October 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm
(10) cathy says:

My thyroid stopped working in my second pregnancy. My husband and friends have come to nickname me “thycho”. There are days where I feel as if I am completely losing my mind! It depresses me to think that I will have to medicate the rest of my life to keep this disease under control. I am afraid that my mood swings(anger/rage/crying) are going to severly affect my small children. It is comforting to know that there are others out there who are going through the same thing.

February 26, 2009 at 2:41 pm
(11) Jaffar says:

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto few months back while I had this disease for at least 1 year back when I first performed my TSH which showed low levels and my doctor thought it is on the border line.

What concerns me more is memory loss and losing of concentration and focus.

I’m 31 years old married male. I keep thinking of my kids future, that is too sad.

Regards

March 27, 2009 at 5:25 pm
(12) robin says:

Thank you – I did know and have sensed that my thyroid condition affected me in the way that you describe. Not being able to pick up the “signals” from others and therefore ending up being “pushy” is just so humiliating. Because you don’t realize at the time. I would like to go back to the person that I was before hypo-thryoid, but this article helped me realize that this isn’t going to happen. I’m always exhausted and this makes me irritable, and unaware of the things I should know to counter-balance the effect that my thyroid condition has on the people that I love. As I still appear “normal” people are always nagging me and getting at me for not achieving much, but it is so difficult just to function. This article might help them to get off my case!!!

May 4, 2009 at 8:25 am
(13) Jennifer says:

I have hypothyroidism since sept 08. Its driving me crazy! My recent TSH came back 16.05! I don’t care about all the physical symptoms but this whole depression thing is unreal! Im just wondering does any body suffer from obsessive thoughts, I was totally normal until my thyroid started going wacky! Now I have weird thoughts, but I will admit when my tsh was brought down to 2.41 I felt a world better but its not so good now that its gone up! Does anyone know what wrong with me????

September 19, 2011 at 4:12 am
(14) Bob H. says:

I know that it has been a few years since your post about hypotyhroid, but I thought I’d check in to see how your are now. I too have obsessive weird thoughts from time to time. It is very distracting and it seems to just wear me down. For me, if I miss a couple of doses in a row, I know that I will feel strange for a day or so. My symptoms seem to occure almost out of nowhere when the sun goes down, or around 5-6:00.

September 19, 2011 at 4:12 am
(15) Bob H. says:

September 1, 2009 at 7:32 am
(16) MJ says:

It’s great to read this article and the confirming comments. I’ve dealt with my thyroid (hashimoto & hypothyroidism) for about 10 years…up and down up and down….recently i’ve started to think i was losing it….all the things that people brush off as “simple depression” have been eating at me because they aren’t that SIMPLE when it interferes with your daily functioning. when the med and tsh level is right i’m right as rain but if i miss a day or the pharmacy runs out of the high dose then i’m a lil foggy and overly emotional….prayers go to all of you dealing with hypothyroidism

November 9, 2009 at 11:48 am
(17) Angie Sovereign says:

I’m 43 and had Thyroid Cancer at the age of 18. I also was an incest victim. My large family chooses to say that I lied about incest, because the cancer caused me to go crazy. I had no idea when I moved back to my home town. People don’t even give me a chance. They really think I am. My search for memory and weight has been and still is a losing battle.

November 12, 2009 at 7:39 pm
(18) christina says:

i’ve been hippo-thyroid now for about 8 years. when first diagnosed, i had no idea what was happening to me. the mood swings, i was angry, cold, disconnected. i guess a tsh of 120 will do that to ya! i hear jaffar…the memory loss, the loss of focus, and not just on basic daily tasks, but lack of focus on the future, depression, etc. for someone considered quick witted and fiesty, it’s very frustrating. i also feel my thought process slowing. my brain grinding out whatever information it can retrieve (slowly). i speak two languages and often times can’t switch quickly enough from one to another frustrating me even more so.

November 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm
(19) Sue says:

After recently being told my Rheumatoid Arthritis was a little worse and that I also had developed osteo arthritis, this seemed to be why I was feeling the cold more and was achy and tired. When I mentioned this to the doctor plus struggling with my weight, a further blood test revealed an under active thyroid.
I have talked to someone who is planning to deal with their thyroid condition drug free, through a regime of lifestyle changes, diet, exercise. That sounds good to me. Anyone else heard of this program?

November 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm
(20) jane says:

I reccomend you all check into Wilson’s syndrome. Apparently T4 makes T3 @ the rector sites and the T3 receptor sites can be malfunctioning. Taking pure T3 for awhile can correct the problem and then you might be Hypo free!!!

March 9, 2010 at 12:48 am
(21) Rachel says:

Hi there all sufferers! I have battled with an overactive thyroid since I was 18. I was the angriest girl on the planet, I thought I was completely crazy and understood by no one. Iam now 28 an have had my thyroid removed a year ago. Sorry to say Iam taking antidepressents and thyroxine for the rest of my life. I have tried to come off the meds twice and I behaved like my thyroid was still there and making me crazier than ever.I have major anxiety and depression issues. I thought once my thyroid was taken out that I would know what it feels like to be a normal functioning person. . . How wrong I was. I still have the graves disease as well which I thought would also be cured but has not. I too feel like I’m ruining my children by having to deal with this Illness of mine. Has anyones else had this similar problem after a total thyroidectomy???

October 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm
(22) Ashley says:

My doctor just called me yesterday to tell my my thyroid was low and they are ordering more tests. Im glad to know this it the cause of many problems. Latley I have not felt like the same person, I have felt like an emotional train-wreck. I will get upset over nothing and I cant seem to calm myself down, My joints(mostly knees) are always hurting, my brain feels very foggy and sometimes very confused. The other day I felt like I was seriously going mental, I felt as if My brain could not process anything that was going on and it scared me. I’m hoping that this was because of my thyroid. I am glad to know my dumb mood swings that i hate as much as everybody else is caused by this, and I cant wait to get a control over it. I just have not felt like the same person. If you have anybody in your life who suffers from this try to be understanding and help them through it, it helps me a lot that I have friends who understand what I’m going through and are here to help me.

October 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(23) cynthia says:

I have hypothyriodism and I have felt like I was losing my mind I cant think and so forgetful even though im on meds.my work performance is not good my boss says im to slow i feel like im in slow motion. Im screaming at my dogs who i love more than anything help

January 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm
(24) Heather says:

I got a call that my thyroid numbers are off , I have an appointment in a couple weeks with the Dr. My symptoms are pointing to Hyper. I thought I was going crazy too. the other day I was screaming at my son because he wouldn’t take some medicine. I feel like I am turning into a crazy woman.

March 5, 2011 at 8:34 pm
(25) Tara says:

I too have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, thanks to the women in my family, its inherited. Unlike some of you I do not have any of the symptoms, however blood test reveal that my thyroid is way out of whack. I started taking levothyroxin to help get my numbers down, but it makes me sick and pukey. I tried to tell the doctor this but he insisted that i take the medication. I’ve tried at different times of the day with food without food, nothing seems to work. After awhile I quit taking the medication, and I feel better. Do you think that there is something other than hypothyroidism that is causing this? Any suggestions would help.

March 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm
(26) catalina says:

i am so thankful for all the comments i see on here. my natural/homeopathic octor has had me on treatment since sept. adrenal fatigue and hypot. i have had one blood test in dec. which i had to call her for 3 weeks to get my results and she just e-mailed me that i need to stay on the thyrodex. that the results looked very loooked very low. i feel ,……..like a freaking mess and things are getting worse. i have no idea who to go to what to, who to trust, etc. i feel like i am avocating for my own healthcare, diagnosing myself, and so forth. my body is going down fast now. any suggestions

March 27, 2011 at 11:56 pm
(27) Agnes says:

Never tested hypo, but had thyroid cancer, total thyroidectomy, & RAI a year ago. I take Synthroid & an antidepressant (that I’d taken for 4 years prior), but the antidepressant doesn’t seem to work much anymore. I have gone so downhill in school & wasted so much $ on failed classes that I’ve considered dropping out in my senior year. My loss of memory continuously saddens/angers me, I cannot focus to do any homework, and I have felt like an emotional rollercoaster for several months. Reading these comments is validating, but kind of heartbreaking because I realize that things really may be this hard from now on, and I will just have to get used to it. :/ Good luck to all. :)

May 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(28) Barbara says:

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2005 followed by RAI, for papillary cancer. I was told by docs that after surgery, you just take a pill (T4) and the body converts all the T3(active hormone, that get in the cells.) that you need, and all will be well ! This couldn’t be further from the truth! There are so many variables for this to happen. We aren’t meant to live on T4( inactive,storage hormone) the healthy thyroid produces both T3, T4, T1,T2 and calcitonin. There are even recent studies published in medical journals that state, people taking T4 only meds have less T3 than people with healthy thyroids. Also, published studies that now say, that TSH isn’t a good way to determine thyroid hormone replacement levels. Do most docs know or care? In my experience, NO! I have or am experiencing all the awful, debilitating, life damaging, dream killing, symptoms of being hypo that the rest of you are, and I want to say how sorry I am that you are having to go through this. The endocrine system is a complicated thing and docs approach it very simplisticly, so if you fall within some bogus reference range, all the mental, emotional and physical symptoms you are having, couldn’t be your thyroid or poor replacement medication, so the medical community thinks! How we get the change we need to be healthy, I don’t know. But one thing I do know is, doctors need to start listening to and believing their patients, and think outside the “box”!

July 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm
(29) Nilesh says:

I am in the same boat for about 3 years now. Mental fog is just unbearable. Recently, I came across a book called “Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests are Normal” and started reading it. I’m about half way through it and everything I read so far seemd logical. Has anybody else read it? The author also has a website – http://www.thyroidbook.com. I’m thinking of contacting one of the doctors listed on that website. I just thought I’d share this with you and check if anybody has any experience with it.

September 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm
(30) Jennie says:

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 16, but I was young and dumb and wasn’t proactive about treating it until I was 19. Even then I didn’t really understand the thyroid or its role in my body. However, I took my thryoid medicine consistently from Sept 2009 until June 2010. During that time I was prosperous in work, school, spiritually, emotionally, and in life in general. However I stopped taking it in July 2010, apparently not realizing how important it was to keep my thyroid in check. And from time forward work and school and just about everything else began to decline in my life. Because I could’t concentrate and focus, oh and of course everyone thought I was crazy. I even started to think I was! Well it wasn’t until my hair starting falling out (in big amounts) that I found out that hair loss was also hypothyroid related! So now I have defintely learned my lesson about not taking my thyroid medicine.

September 30, 2011 at 11:33 pm
(31) Jason says:

My wife is in the process of being diagnosed and it is looking like Grave’s Disease. I have read all of the posts and a lot of information on line pertaining to sypmtoms and the mental aspect to include anxiety, manic episodes, and depression. How or maybe what can I do to help her? How do I live with knowing that she will “snap” or have an episode and blame it on her “disease”. I have noticed that she triggers me when she gets all pissy and in a mood swing. HELP!

October 28, 2011 at 7:51 am
(32) Dave says:

Jason and all, I commend you for wanting to help your wife. Find a way to get her to an Endocrinologist. GP’s really are just “practicing” medicine when it comes to this little gland. An Endo will get her stabilized much faster and safer, though it will cost. It will be worth it to you both. They can “see between the lines” of the blood tests involved and “dial -in” a dosage much more specifically than a regular doctor who has no specialized training in the field. we went several years and all the horror stories until we were led to a doctor in Oklahoma City who my wif says, “saved her life”. God bless you for standing by her. Remember, you do have limitations and it’s not her fault. Peace man.

November 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(33) Ann marie says:

I have just read through all your posts, and have realised that maybe this is why my 8year old boy has mood swings, and gets really emotional and tearful for no reason.
He was diagnosed with hypothyrodism at birth, and has been on levothyroxine since. Recently it got increased. Are the mood swings really related to hypothyrodism. He is also abit slow, and always forgetting things. I have to tell him like 100 times. I thought if it was controlled, then it’s ok, or do u still get mood swings etc, even if it’s controlled?
Unfortunately I don’t know anyone else who has it, and because he is so young, he can’t really explain symptoms to me. I want to understand how he is feeling, and help him through it. If there is any advice anyone can offer me, I will be happy to read. Thankyou.

February 7, 2012 at 5:39 pm
(34) Joseph says:

My aunt had her thyroid removed because nodules and graves disease in the past they overdosed her on to much thryoxcin and she became hyper then they changed the meds and she became hypo now she’s down to 2.3 level taking 137 milligrams of the levathyoxin and still feels depressed can’t sleep more than a half hour at a time can’t concentrate she obsesses over her thoughts all the time and says she wants to die she crys taking a bath can’t function lost about 60 pounds the last 7 months if anyone can help refer a dr in the new York area please help us or tell me your story so I know if she just went crazy or it is her thyroid my email s oldgold79@yahoo.com or just comment on this site thanks very much

June 1, 2012 at 10:59 am
(35) JEN says:

My husband just called to say he is leaving me because of my thyroid symptoms. He refused to believe that my mood swings are related to this. He also refuses to believe that I am fat because of this.
By the way. I am s/p total thyroidectomy, from thyroid cancer diagnosed 3 weeks after our daughter was born. I am currently on isolation from RAI. All this has occurred over the last 2 months. And I am currently on NO thyroid replacement.

June 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm
(36) Sandy says:

I’ve been battling hypothyroid for 12 years now. I was diagnosed when I was 8. I was always a cheerful person who had many friends. But for the past few years, I’ve driven everyone I know crazy. I over react to the smallest things and accuse everyone I know of SO much bull. I imagine stuff and I am very over-weight. I drive my boyfriend crazy on days and I feel bad about it. But at that moment I’m obsessive. I can barely keep friends because of this craziness and many people refuse to believe that my thyroid being messed up is the reason for my being crazy. But some of my friends’ moms have thyroid, so they’re more understanding. Also, any talk about weight and related stuff, plummets me into a horrible bout of depression. I work out for two hours daily and eat healthy. But I’m still overweight and it annoys me that some people I know who eat SO much are thinner than me. To top every beautiful thing, my endo decided to randomly decrease my dosage. For five months, I was in hell. I was tired all the time, slept for 12 hours almost daily. my performance in college has been affected and my weight increased further. But after I changed my endo, its better. I feel less tired. But my depression and feeling of desolation are always there. I wish I could do somthing to be alright.

June 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm
(37) Bug says:

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (hashimoto’s) when I was 18 & I’m 22 now. Before the diagnosis I weighed around 116 &was very depressed &suicidal. I started out at 50 mcg of levothyroxine then bumped up to 75 a year later. I lost alot of weight when I started smoking ciggs then &got down to barely 90 lbs &I stopped taking my meds (for no reason-lazy) for about 5-6 months &my thyroid swelled. Now a year &1/2 later I think I’m just now starting to feel the effects from that. I feel very unmotivated, tired, depressed, achy, &have alot of anxiety. It feels like I’m mentally out of it, confused, nervous, anxious almost all the time &like I’m losing my mind. It’s really hard to concentrate &I’m really slow. I still can’t gain weight to save my life, I’m pretty sure people think I’m anorexic or an H addict from all the dirty looks at public outings &people I know are starting to ask questions. I’ve been very skinny my whole life, but I’m just wondering why the heck is it so hard for me to gain weight, when hypothyroidism causes weight gain? I eat all the time &smoke pot to help with depression &help me eat more but I still feel extremely weak like I haven’t eaten in days. Sometimes my heart rate is slow &at times it starts racing out of nowhere &I get nervous over nothing.This is pretty annoying..! It’s like there’s something else wrong that I don’t know about

August 19, 2012 at 9:41 pm
(38) Nita says:

I had a total thyroidectomy last year due to thyroid cancer followed by RAI tretment. I had a full body thyroid scan in January and am cancer free…praise the Lord. I take 100mcg of synthroid every day. I don’t have any depression or mood swings mentioned in the above comments, but I have the mental fogginess. I can’t remember anything. I get confused. Sometimes my brain feels like scrambled eggs. It is debilitating at times. I am having a hard time at work. I am an administrative assistant who works hard to do her job well. Unfortunately, my “well” now is nothing like my “well” 2 years ago. I haven’t been to an endocrinologist, because my oncologist really wanted to oversee my care. I don’t know if I should try one or not. I really would love to have my brain back. I am blessed that I have a very loving and patient husband and my boss and co-workers care about me and are also patient.
As someone else commented, it is validating to know that I am not alone in this struggle. Thanks for listening.

September 19, 2012 at 10:01 am
(39) Jess says:

It is a bit comforting to know that others are experiencing difficulty becasue fo thyroid problems, although I am sorry about it for everyone. I had hyperthyroidism and thought my irritability was bad then, but once I took the radioiodine pill I thought I would see an improvement…nope. My moodiness has increased ten-fold! My husband and I are constantly fighting because of it, which is adding to the misery. How did you guys deal with spouses? He just doesn’t seem to understand and just keeps telling me I “have emotional problems.” I also have Type 1 Diabetes, which can lead to weird hormone levels and mood swings. Anyone know of any good books to get on the subject or foods to eat that can help? I’m on thyroid hormone, and although the blood tests show “normal” my emotional state is still a disaster! How do I function in my marriage? Any ideas? Thanks!

September 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm
(40) Debi T says:

Hi, I started out hyper, then on a med about year , to keep my throid, was great for 6 years, then I started to feel those old feelings , you know the tired no one understands unless they have been there! Soooooo , then I’m hypo, so I get meds and it is okay, but still up and down and I’m slow at everthing. also can spell! But, that is not all I have . Now my my daugther who is 29 has it. My grandson who is 11 has type 1 diabetes, and thyroid and now my grandson who is 10 is having a horrible time in school , who was an honor student. But of course the dr said he is in the norm range. Well, I say bull crap to that and I’m going to the Dr with him myself and make them listen!!!!!!!!!! To many people in my family with this junk to dismiss it that easy. Any my granddaughter who is 9 has a cyst on her thyroid and they are not doing anything about it!!! She is very samll and been checked from baby. I hope they don’t let anything happen to her!!!!!!!!!1

November 3, 2012 at 9:37 am
(41) Deb says:

I know this – prior to my thyroidectomy I had mood swings that I attributed to being on the verge of menopause. After removal of the thyroid these mood swings have become more intense and rapid. Out of no where I can go from 0-100 with anger, or simply just start crying. It does not feel all that different from thy symptoms of PMS – just more intense and unpredictable. At least with PMS I knew when it was about to hit…this I have no idea

November 6, 2012 at 10:32 am
(42) paulette says:

I was diagnosed about two years ago with hypothyroidism. The doctors were useless and when I asked if I had the autoimmune related hypothyroidism or just underactive thyroid they said to me ‘Bit like asking what car am I driving’. That was really the end of the road for me and conventional medicine. I did go on thyroxine for a few months, felt better for a couple of weeks but got low level headaches, sweated and smelt more. I saw a chinese doctor as in chinese medicine for a while and they explained that if you put heat into the body (in the form of thyroxine) the body doesn’t just direct it to the place you need it but goes in unpredictable places too, hence the headaches and sweating. I also didn’t fee the benefit anymore and was concerned that if my antibodies were attacking my thyroid then why and what else would they go on to attack if I didn’t deal with the root cause. So months of research later I self perscribed the following: Astragalus, Ginseng, Ashwaghanda, gugulipid and black cohosh. The doctor (regular GP that happened to also be a homeopath) told me I was crazy and as someone of childbearing age I was risking infertility etc abd would not got better. My family wanted me to take conventional medicine too but I was determined. I was religious about taking these meds for about 3 months along with a healthier diet which included cutting most wheat out, eating less dairy and less sugar and eating little and often (very important for the thyroid as it needs regular fuel to keep it ticking over and big meals put it under pressure). I went back for my blood tests and surprise surprise I was cured. I was told I never needed to go back for follow up tests.

November 6, 2012 at 10:34 am
(43) paulette says:

However, I have since found out my levels are off again…this is clearly because I got ahead of myself and stopped all the wonderful herbs I was taking and quite frankly let my diet go as well. I am obviously not a doctor but I know something for sure, if you take thyroxine in the hope that it will make your life better you are simply masking the symptoms of what can eventually become a more serious (yes even more serious than thyroid) problem. If like me your antibodies are attacking your thyroid you need to deal with that rather than simply give your thyroid what it isn’t producing enough of. If you have had your thyroid removed then possibly you have no choice but I think most of us have the ability to self heal. My research was specific to my symptoms so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that anyone else take exactly what I took but I would recommend you all look into the ones I have mentioned and see how you feel about whether they will help you or not. I have recommended them to other sufferers and one for sure has had a positive response. I hope this message finds you all well, it is a hard condition to deal with given its varied symptoms. Stay strong knowing it is curable, I did it and you all can…there are no quick fixes and looking after our bodies is a lifelong process one that I would rather be in control of then a GP that pretends they know everything whilst pretty much knowing nothing. Good luck everyone!

June 2, 2013 at 11:08 am
(44) Rosie says:

My friend has a thyroid desease, and her mood swings are putting a strain on our friendship. She utters hurtful things to me. She tells people about sensitive issues that I confided in her. The weirdest thing is when her selfish fits are over, she has absolutely no recallection of the things she had said. I need advice on how to help my friend because I care a lot about her.
Rosie

June 19, 2013 at 5:59 am
(45) sabre says:

It seems like no one without this disorder really understands how hard it is to deal with. Boyfriends/ husbands leave, doctors write you off as a hypocondriac, you fail school and can’t face work. Is there anyone out there that can help us? I don’t want to be given more mental disorder diagnoses, I’m not crazy and zoloft is not the answer. My endo speaks fast and kicks me out before asking any really in depth questions and yet he is supposed to be one of the best. I wish doctors still did house calls and really got to know the patients. I’m not crazy, just sick. How are you doing? Just doesn’t cut it.

June 20, 2013 at 10:35 am
(46) Drew says:

I have had hypothyroidism/Hashimotos since I was in my mothers womb. For the past 19 years, but it never really affected me much. I was playing varsity sports, consistently achieving honor roll (even got into the National Honor Society), and was a fairly confident individual with a lot of motivation for the future. Since I had been taking the meds (levothyroxine) for my entire life, I started balding towards the end of high school, which put me into a weird depressive metal state. I got out of it though, luckily. However, recently I’ve noticed that I have no motivation for the future, along with memory loss, and it is really hard to stay focused on a given task for a long period of time. Maybe it’s just the adjustment of my lifestyle in the past year, but I’m going to my endo doc in a few days to get checked out, maybe I’m being under/over medicated (I hope) Best of luck to everyone.