1. Health

Mary Shomon

Low TSH Levels Are a Risk Factor for Alzheimer's Disease

By June 24, 2004

A study just published indicates that low thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels may be linked to a risk of developing Alzheimer's disease. Find out more now.
Comments
August 1, 2008 at 2:38 pm
(1) Butterfly says:

Many people who are optimally treated (their hypo symptoms are minimal) using Armour Thyroid or other natural thyroid hormone have suppressed TSH.

Surely that does not mean that they are at risk for Alzheimer’s disease because they have enough thyroid hormone to relieve their hypo symptoms….again maybe going by the TSH is not reliable for much…..

August 2, 2008 at 3:02 am
(2) Heather says:

My specialist (Peter Tunbridge of North Adelaide) got my TSH very low to reduce my antibody levels and relieve symptoms. I acutally got dementia (in a bad way) because I was treated with only T4 to which I am resistant. Then treated with only T3 which produced symptoms, so now on T3 + T4. Am left with some residual dementia. Local medicos have no knowledge, cannot explain process in medically scientific manner, so cannot begin to seek if there is any treatment available. I would appreciate info from Mary. I emailed her some time ago when in grip of dementia, but got automated reply that too busy to reply.

April 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm
(3) Anne says:

Hi Heather…I have had the same problem with memory problems since my TT and my TSH is low. Did you ever get a response that was helpful? This memory issue is very disturbing and difficult to deal with. Thanks and best of luck to you also.

August 3, 2008 at 10:34 pm
(4) Jeanette McKee says:

To my knowledge this study was not referring to medicated individuals. It was referring to patients who had a low TSH, with low thyroid levels. If you think about it, how is the patient with a low TSH and low thyroid levels ever going to get thyroid hormone, thus dementia. These patients all had Low TRH, which is why they had low TSH readings. They basically had Tertiary Hypothyroidism. We must FIRST have a normal TRH, before we can get a Normal TSH with normal Free T3 and Free T4. Many medications suppress TRH and TSH which will then suppress Free T3 and Free T4.

August 5, 2008 at 1:38 am
(5) Janet says:

What are the implications for those of us who had thyroid cancer and had a total thyroidectomy and are having lifetime TSH suppression?

In 1995 at a young 54 years I had my thyroid removed and have been on the various types/doses of thyroid hormone and others (mostly unsuccessful for a normal life) and my TSH has not been above .005, for the last 13 years.

For some time I have been unsuccessfully seeking to find out, what impact it might be having on:
my continuing severe symptoms,(incl cognitive)?
my long term health and
what degree of risk (13 years after thyroidectomy and ablation) would there be if it were permitted to raise?

Can anyone direct me to sources of information that may help me and others in this situation?

August 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm
(6) Becky Kilby says:

I had a partial thyroidectomy in 96 with radioactive Iodine Treatments. In 2008 another tumor and the remainder of my thyroid was removed – no radiation. I have been experiencing weight gain for 2 years, now have memory loss, constantly sweat, experiece palpatations with Chest pain, shortness of breath and a heart rate which hits 85% when I merely stand…Where can I find out about developing issues long term after a thyroidectomy?