1. Health

Mary Shomon

Do You Have Undiagnosed Hypoglycemia?

By April 28, 2004

Cynthia Perkins, M.Ed. takes a look hypoglycemia -- low blood sugar -- a common condition that is often misdiagnosed and overlooked, and causes symptoms including shakiness, headaches, confusion, and more.

*****************************************************

Do You Have Undiagnosed Hypoglycemia?

by Cynthia Perkins, M.Ed.

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can be the culprit of many physical and psychological symptoms. It?s a very common occurrence in our society and often goes undiagnosed. It can mimic most every medical condition and is often misdiagnosed or labeled as hypochondriasis. Hypoglycemia is when your blood glucose levels drop too low and your body and brain can?t function properly. The brain is very sensitive to the levels of blood sugar and needs glucose to function adequately. It is fuel for the brain. The brain doesn?t have the ability to store glucose so it needs a continuous supply from the blood. It extracts it from the blood as it does oxygen. If the brain does not have enough oxygen or glucose it can go into a coma.

Hypoglycemia occurs when the body does not metabolize blood glucose properly. Abnormal metabolism can be caused by a variety of factors such as:
  • Excess refined sugar and white flour in your diet,
  • Pancreatic or adrenal underactivity or overactivity
  • Excessive use of alcohol, tobacco, and coffee or other products with caffeine
  • Overeating of refined carbohydrates
  • Allergies
  • Severe emotional stress that doesn?t go away
Probably the biggest contributor to hypoglycemia is the consumption of excess refined sugar, white flour and other refined carbohydrates. Our bodies were not designed genetically or physiologically equipped to metabolize the mass amount of refined food, which is stripped of any nutritional value, found in the typical diet of this day and age. This creates a continuous strain and abuse on your bodies? organs, such as the pancreas, the liver, the adrenals and other endocrine glands. The continuous ingestion of empty refined foods leads to malfunctioning of the glandular and metabolic systems.

Symptoms of Hypoglycemia can be mild, moderate or severe and may consist of any of the following:
  • Sweating
  • Obsessive/compulsive behavior
  • Slurred speech
  • Poor coordination
  • Glassy eyes
  • Headaches
  • Migraines
Severe symptoms, which require immediate medical attention would include
  • Unresponsiveness
  • Highly agitated
  • Unconsciousness
  • Convulsions
What happens when we eat sugar and other refined foods? They are absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly and raise the blood glucose level to abnormally high levels at a very fast pace, which gives us that boost we often feel when eating sweets. This causes the pancreas to overreact with an emergency response and releases an excessive amount of insulin into the bloodstream to try and bring the blood sugar back to normal. The excessive amount of insulin brings the blood sugar down, but it brings it down too low and it brings it down too fast. This is when hypoglycemia symptoms occur.

To treat hypoglycemia it?s necessary to avoid eating sugar or any food that easily converts to sugar. Your diet should consist of foods that take a while to digest so there won?t be a rapid rise in blood sugar and then the plummet that causes hypoglycemia symptoms.

Foods that digest slowly consist of meat, eggs, cheese, yogurt, beans, nuts and seeds and complex carbohydrates, which are (whole grains, fresh vegetables, fresh whole fruits (not juice).

Avoid the use of alcohol, tobacco and caffeine and reduce emotional stress as much as possible. For stress that can?t be eliminated find ways to cope effectively with the use of exercise, meditation, massage, counseling, etc.

There are a number of illnesses that produce similar symptoms as listed above, so it is necessary to consult with a health care professional that is knowledgeable in this area. Perhaps a sound nutritionist or alternative health doctor capable of diagnosing and treating hypoglycemia. The key word here is ?knowledgeable? because the average mainstream medical professional has a very limited education and understanding of the complex issues surrounding hypoglycemia.

*********************************

Cynthia Perkins, M.Ed. is an author and holistic health counselor providing alternative solutions, life management and support for individuals living with chronic illness or chronic pain. She is also author of the inspirational E-Book ?Finding Life Fulfillment when Living with Chronic Illness-A Spiritual Journey?. Subscribe to her FREE monthly Newsletter for inspiration, advice and support. http://www.holistichelp.net/ or send any email to this address to subscribe to the FREE Newsletter Holistichelp-subscribe@topica.com
Comments
February 7, 2008 at 2:54 am
(1) Chris says:

The symptoms describe the hell that I’ve started going through the past couple of months. Thanks for the post, now I know for sure what I have and can work on fixing the issue. Greatly appreciated, for sure.

July 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm
(2) ashley says:

I’m wondering has anyone ever had hypoclycenic symptoms increase due to using the birth control pill? I’ve had low blood sugar my entire life and was always kinda heavy. Last year, I started eating right and running and I lost 90lbs.I felt great, I had my hypoclycemia under control and the symptoms were not interrupting my life. About 7 months ago,I started seeing my sypmtoms getting worse. I still ate healthy and worked out but I always felt “sick” like my blood sugar was constantly low and I had no more energy to go to the gym. It was about 8 months ago that I started taking Ortho tri cyclen lo, could that be contributing to my increase in symptoms? Has anyone heard of this before? I really need help because I don’t want to get pregnant, but I really don’t want to constantly feel sick either. Thanks in advance for your help!

May 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm
(3) Jen says:

I had the exact same problem with Ortho tri cyclen lo, I couldn’t figure out what was wring with me and after going to the doctors I finally visited my Gyno to switch to a birth control with less hormones, I have been on Lutera for 3 cycles and I feel much better, no more nausea or severe fatigue and what not. I can’t tell you that it will work for you, but I don’t think you have to completely stop using birth control, just switch, I would talk to your regular doctor get a note for him or her and take it to your gyno.
hope this helps.

August 12, 2011 at 12:52 pm
(4) Kinbri says:

Actually, the first time I tried birth control (the patch) I started to experience symptoms of hypoglycemia, though it was the mood swings that led me to switch. I never felt hungry in the usual sense, I’d just go from feeling normal to faint and sick with hunger. Upon quitting my symptoms disappeared, but a several months ago I decided to try Ortho to the same effect, though without the mood swings. I googled hypoglycemia+birth control, and it seems to be a pretty common problem; it should really be on the package insert.

July 21, 2008 at 4:13 pm
(5) a says:

I was reading this for my husband but I am writing about the birth control. I have been on the same one for about a year and I feel a little crazy, or really off. My hormones or moods I dont know, I feel different. I think I am going to switch because I took the regular (non lo) and i did fine. Friends tell me to try Yasmine, but sorry I cant help about the low sugar.

June 10, 2011 at 7:21 pm
(6) Kara says:

I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclene for years and suffered with dull headaches most of the time I was on it, but since my doctor switched me over to Yasmine 3 years ago, I haven’t had that problem and it seems to agree with my system much better. I haven’t been diagnosed with hypoglycemia but I’m pretty sure I have it to some degree.

For most of my adult life, I turn into a complete basket case if I go more than 2 or 3 hours without eating … extreme mood swings, irritability, shakiness and a racing pulse. I wonder exactly how the pill may be affecting my body, especially blood sugar levels and as much as I don’t like the idea of messing with hormones and would like to discontinue taking the pill, having children is not an option for me, so I dutifully pop my pill every day … and always have lots of snacks on hand!

July 23, 2008 at 1:18 pm
(7) Norman says:

i was starting to think that i was going mad. couldn’t understand what was wrong with my speech and then the real serious headach hit. that’s what got me researching this. thanks for the info.

August 5, 2008 at 5:34 pm
(8) Nicole says:

I can’t say whether the birth control pills are the problem, but I was on that one 10 years ago and have suffered dry hair, skin, fatigue, weight gain/can’t lose, shakiness etc. I’ve always been borderline low blood sugar but never had this bad of symptoms until the Ortho birth control pills. Every year it just gets worse. Was treating for thyroid but didn’t help. The doctor is now treating as low blood sugar from tests and adrenal issues. All of this happened one month from taking the Ortho birth control pills. I wouldn’t stay on it. If you need to be on birth control definitely find another one. A friend of mine experienced problems with it as well but went off of it after 2 months. I wasn’t that smart. She has had weight/hair issues but I can’t say if hers was connected. Hope this helps. Good luck!

September 8, 2008 at 5:37 pm
(9) undiagnosed says:

There are so many diseases left undiagnosed. And so many different sypmtoms.

January 21, 2009 at 9:13 pm
(10) Frustrated Mother says:

My daughter, who is in her late 20s now, was so full of anxiety and so depressed several years ago that she felt suicidal. She saw a psychiatrist. She was diagnosed with rapid-cycling bipolar disorder and given very expensive drugs that neither she nor our family could afford, but we found a way to pay for them anyway because they were the only hope. After years of taking them, she became convinced that they were not helping, so she weaned herself off of them all by herself. Just recently she has talked to a specialist who is almost positive that she has hypoglycemia and that this has been the problem all along, never bipolar. She hasn’t done the necessary blood work yet to confirm hypoglycemia, but is following the prescribed diet and is already feeling better. The specialist could not believe that my daughter got off the bipolar drugs by herself without going to a rehab center. I can’t believe what an expensive and frustrating journey my daughter has endured. Since the psychiatrist was an MD, why didn’t she order the simple blood test that would rule out hypoglycemia before sending my daughter down this dangerous and expensive drug path? I’m posting this so that someone might read this and insist on a blood test for hypoglycemia before accepting a diagnosis that requires expensive psychiatric drugs.

March 25, 2011 at 8:28 pm
(11) Christine says:

Bi-polar d/o can imatate several disorders and illnesses. When severe depression is involved it is easy for a doctor to immediately determine it is psychological, I am going through the symptoms mentioned in the original post, and I too feel depressed, but never suicidal. I would get another opinion from other doctors inregards to your daughters psychological health. I do not mean to impose but the statements you have made are clear cut symptoms of bi-polar disorder, and extreme depression. The medications she was prescribed by the doctor, give most patients, that “auto pilot” feeling and many times they convince them selves that they are well enough to recover on their own. It is dangerous for your daughter to get off the meds on her own, but it is even more dangerous for her to be misdiagnosed. The correlation between a mental disorder and a physiological is a very wide distance, and for the two to be confused is a bit outrageous. The only thing that is true is that neither will show up on a blood test. I hope this helps and your daughter is better.

May 25, 2011 at 7:19 am
(12) Tim says:

How is “so full of anxiety and so depressed several years ago that she felt suicidal” classic symptoms of bipolar?

Sorry but that is nonsense to say based on the very limited information given. Her daughter could have been going through a bad relationship, stress at work, be ill or many other things which mean that she is actaully pretty normal and does not need to take a bunch of mind bending pills the total affects of which are not properly understood (and can cause more harm than good).

I was put on pills for depression when I was in fact suffering severe bullying from my boss at work. The pills made me into a (bad tempered, sex-less) zombie and have had a long term affect on my well being, (most likely through the desensitisation of my neurons). I should never have been given them. Instead the root cause should have been determined and either my boss should have been diciplined or I moved.

Years later, I suffered bad moved swings. I was again diagnosed as depressed and told to take some pills. Thankfully I ignored this advice and did some research and discovered that what my problem was was in fact dehydration. I was not drinking enough water, simple as that. Had I listened to the Dr’s 10 minutes, I’d have been stuck on the pills again.

Recently my moods have been affected again and I was again given a sheet to record my moods and I was again diagnosed as depressed and again offered pills that would “cure me”. I however noticed I was getting the shakes when I missed a meal and that I was craving sugar and I was feeling wiped after a big meal etc. As a consequence I changed my diet and lo and behold, my “depression” lifted.

There ARE a small percentage of people for whom pills help, but unless you are severly mentally ill I would PERSONALLY not recommend taking mind altering tablets which have considerable side-effects and which can cause long term personality changes and damage.

May 25, 2011 at 7:21 am
(13) Tim says:

But that is just me. If a Dr could explain EXACTLY how an AD worked and confirm that there were no long term negative impacts of inhibiting seretonin reuptake and that the chemicals were not doing anything else besides that, then I’d consider them if I was in a bad enough way. But they cant, as even the manufacturers dont know.

A friend of mine’s b/f was involved in car crash that saw his best friend killed. He was put on AD’s and he changed into a very violent and manipulative person who struck out at my friend for the first time in his life. I read up on the pills and discovered that someone had got off a murder rap when they were on the exact same pills as they turned them from placid into homicidal. I told her to leave or get him to quit them. He quit and became his normal – though guilt ridden – self again.

I’ve been there myself and it was the sudden violent mood swings I would have when on ADs for which there was no justification that got me looking beyond the fact sheets distributed by the drug companies. What I read about them was very disturbing.

One final thought… how did we survive before all these miracle pills? Seems we did a lot better than we are now. Suicide rates have increased 60% in the last 50 years, not fallen, despite millions of these pills being dispensed. These days there is so much junk in our food in the form of flavourings and colourings and preservatives that its no surprise our bodies and our minds are struggling. Try eating simply and see if your “depression” goes. If it doesnt, try CBT or exercise or meditation or anything before a pill.

May 27, 2009 at 7:45 pm
(14) sandra says:

I am going through exactly that. I also have hypothyrodism and my doctor says my thyroid is in the normal range so I don’t need more medication. But one day when my doctor was out and couldn’t see me, the doctor on call said my thyroid was low and if I was able to take more thyroid medication it could help my blood sugar stabilize a little more. Does anybody know if this is true? Who do we listen to? Can someone please help if you know anything about this please help! I have been going through hell also and have been off work for 2 months now because of my hypoglycemia. I try eating beans, they seem to maintain my blood a little longer but all else my sugar goes up and comes right back down. If anybody can help me I would truly appreciate it, this is the worse illness I have ever had!

December 7, 2009 at 3:03 pm
(15) spd says:

To Chris, you may also have depression and/or sleep apnea

February 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm
(16) Christina says:

Addressing the birth controls comments:

My issue is the opposite of the other women. I was on bcp and other contraceptives like the ring for 5 years and went off of them last week. Since then (about 7 days after) I’ve felt horrible. Shaky, moody, light-headed, unable to concentrate, sleepy.. you name it, I felt it. I’m starting to think its due to low blood sugar. I’ve had problems in the past and started eating snacks through the day and them stopped when the problems went away.

March 27, 2010 at 12:20 pm
(17) Sarah says:

I think I have hypoglycemia. I have always had these symptoms and as I was younger my mom treated me the same (giving me sugar and protein to raise the blood sugar). I have never been diagnosed, but this confirms all my symptoms are symptoms of Hypoglycemia.

April 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm
(18) Mary says:

I have been having some of the symptoms for a lil over a year an when I told my doc she had me tested for it but I came up fine I still have the symptoms my mom who is Diebtic has been having me eat peanut butter yogurt or drink milk for when it happens an she told me that I might of not been Hypoglycemic at the time of when I got the test done I would really like to know if I am im also scared of it turning to Diebetes bc about half the people on both sides of my family have atleast 1 type of Diebetes.

April 8, 2010 at 12:56 am
(19) tonx says:

Hi, I was finally diagnosed with Hypoglycemia today, after 20 years of haveing symptoms. I understand the difficulty in getting doctors to listen to you. It wasn’t until I started having seizures that people started to take notice. Please make sure that you aren’t trying to do this alone. Very often hypoglycemia is not an illness in itself; it is a symptom of a greater problem. Some of those problems can kill you if you don’t get them taken care of.

There are two kinds of hypoglycemia, reactive and organic. Reactive hypoglycemial occurs within an hour or two FOLLOWING a meal. If this is the kind you have, you’re likely okay, but should get it checked anyway. If your symptoms come BEFORE eating, it is likely organic in nature, and a symptom of a greater problem. One of the possible causes is insilinoma, a tumor of the pancrease. PLEASE talk to a doctor. DON’T treat an attack with sugar; treat it with protien. Eat a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich. The fructose in the jelly will bring up your blood sugar, and the peanutbutter will help keep it there. Limit processed sugars, and eat lots of protien and veggies. But most importantly, find a GOOD endocrinologist, and MAKE them listen to you. It’s your body, and your life, be your own advocate.

November 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm
(20) nanc says:

Hi Tonx, interesting, I’ve been showing symptoms of hypoglycemia, had 1 seizure, and not officially been diagnosed, even though my blood sugar can go below 60 at times, and I feel sleepy – very sleepy in the morning about 2 hours after breakfast. How did you finally get diagnosed ? Do you take medication, or control it by eating frequently ?
Thanks for posting !

May 3, 2010 at 4:01 pm
(21) Kate says:

wow it makes sence now. So long have i had those symtoms and now all i have to do is stay on a diet and keep my blood sugar up.

July 8, 2010 at 8:03 pm
(22) Ashley says:

This is crazy. I have been week and passing out for as long as I can remember. Have seen every kind of Dr from an Nuerologist to an Cardiologist to a Rheumetologist. I have horrible headaches, loss of concentration, the shakes, mood swings and extreme blurred vision. I also have Thyroids disease. Just this week I was sent in for blood work and my non fasting blood sugar was 47. I am so tired of Drs looking at me like I have three heads when I tell them how badly I feel. It’s almost like they dont believe me. I am seeing a endo tomorrow and will hopefully get some answers and treatment regarding this on going problem.

July 25, 2010 at 2:45 am
(23) Heather says:

Went to the doctor because I haven’t been in forever. No specific reason but I did mention general fatigue, headaches, fogginess, loss of memory, and vision problems. Fasting blood sugar level came back at. 50. I was told to eat several small meals a day and come back in a month. Does this sound right or should I be more concerned?

August 9, 2010 at 10:31 am
(24) zu says:

does any one know why the docs change the fasting times? Like sometimes they want 8 hours, then they want 12? What is the difference? If your tests show up negative or positive at 8 hours, won’t they be the same at 12? or longer?

October 4, 2010 at 5:34 pm
(25) Alison says:

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which has many of the above symptoms but some symptoms I really don’t have when tested (tender points), so I am still searching for a diagnoses. Perhaps Heather should ask about fibromyalgia because all of her symptoms also relate to this. I am not sure that hypglacemia is simply diagnosed with a blood test either. I am sure I have read differently as the test needs to be done at an exact timing – and that’s very difficult. Does anyone know if there is a definite easy diagnoses? I have chronic fatigue at times and some other aches and pains, dizziness, shaking at times…..not sure.

August 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm
(26) Sarah says:

Alison please get tested for Lyme disease! And read up on Lyme because false negatives are common.

December 1, 2010 at 12:10 am
(27) bryan says:

I think I have hypoglycemia. For years now I have eaten very unhealthy because of my youth, but in the last couple of years I have been having this attacks. The attacks consist of me either feel like i’m freezing to the point that I am shaking uncontrollably (teeth chattering any everything) and then i’ll cover up with a blanket and then I feel like i’m on fire. Vice versa. Anyone have an ideas? I really want to get this under control. I am in soooooo much pain when I have these attacks and I am so irritable, I don’t want to speak with anyone or even leave my bed.

December 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm
(28) Issa says:

Bryan, you need to check for candida albicans. Note what you eat, certain things will set it off, like spagetti sauce and milkshakes for me. It was horrid, and I think set off panic attacks too. And to save you lots of trouble, your setting your own good diet and reading on this is far more beneficial than going to doctors in my experience. Good luck.

December 20, 2010 at 6:10 pm
(29) samantha clark says:

hi my daughter had a fit just over 2 years ago when she was 10 she was rushed to hospital she took along time to come out of it they just put it down to a one of and sent her home a year to the date she had another one and turnned blue why we where away in france she had an ecg done and they said she is epileptic and then another year and 3 weeks went by and she had another one she said she had felt ill and then started shaking but was aware that she was doing it then bang she went into a full fit so we had to call 999 then a day or two after we asked her some questions and she had had no dinner at school that day or juice and had been doing dance in her dinner hour then 2 weeks later she had skipped dinner again and i was phoned by the school to come and collect her as they said she has turnned white and her eyes r clossey and that she looks realy ill when i picked her up the teatcher said she had scared her and she said she felt dizzy this happens alot also her school work has suffered as she would look up at the celing at times just for seconds she also has like these ticks now where her eyes flicker at times realy bad where she cannot control it this happens mainly at night and first thing in the mornin i was wondering could this be hypoglycemia fits rather then epileptic fits as her dad has the same but he goes dizzy and cannot c till he has a drink and something to eat why we r out but he was diagnosed as having epileptic fits when he was 18 can any one help and how would i find out if they r thanks x

January 7, 2011 at 8:50 am
(30) marching on says:

To frustrated mother. are you sure you arent my mother writting about my story?? thats exactly what happened to me and i too pulled myself off of the drugs after years of taking them. 20 damn years i went to doctors and specialist and they all said nothing wrong you are just depressed. i have been institutionalized and medicated and lead so many wrong directions…..then, once again, ON MY OWN, i began to check my own blood sugar and went to the doctor and told him what i wanted. Finally he told me reactive hypoglycemia. i still am struggling very much and called for more advice on how to feel better…he just said follow a good diet and maybe try some chromium. thanks doctor…thats very helpful.:( sarcasm…so, once again, ON MY OWN

February 19, 2011 at 8:45 pm
(31) jennifer oneill says:

hi there for the last 2 years, just after my daughter was born i have being having these attacks, what are being treated for panic attacks. i have being put on citalopram an antidepressant, and propanalol a beta blocker, i feel they are not working, i now think i have hypoglycemia as thinking about it, they only happen when i haven’t eaten, but then happen when i go out so are they panic attacks or do i have hypoglycemia i am so confused and are at my dr’s in the morning, i hope they find out whats wrong as i don’t wanna be on antidepressants and don’t want to be scared so i don’t go out i.e thinking i have panic attacks because the symptoms are alike. anyone else have this problem jennie x

May 25, 2011 at 7:31 am
(32) Tim says:

Hi,

I was on citalopram and they made me impotent, forgetful and at times gave me very rapid and violent mood swings. It was after a “flare up”, that I looked into them and googled a little deeper. Following what I learnt, I quit and vowed never to go on them again. My Dr was pissed, but I was free of them and myself again.

I was able to resove my issues by eating better and all the time, exercise and hydrating myself. Also cutting back on alcohol, junk food and caffiene all helped.

However, in your case (as we are all different), I would hesitate to say what the cause is as I dont know you. Keep a diary of what you eat and what you do and how you feel. Maybe you can find the link. Possibly its hormonal if it only happened since your child was born. Possibly its the stress of bringing a living human being up! Good luck and hope you get off the pills.

July 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm
(33) Dan says:

I am on citalopram and have had no sexual side effects or other problems. I have to say citalopram has really worked well for me! I told my Doc I want it forever! He also rx’d provigil which has also helped. I was basically heading for a nervous breakdown, I lost it at work, bad. Was very withdrawn and depressed, anxious… anyway, it has worked for me. I was very hesitant at first due to possible side-effects, I even refused it a year before I decided to try it. This was also during a time when I was physically active, excercising and eating very well.

I say this in this topic because over the past month or so I have had ‘attacks’ I feel are hypoglycemic. My mom is insulin dependant and my father is hypoglycemic. I just had one two days ago and again today, which was really bad. I am going to see my doctor next week. Being curious I found on-line that though it is rare, citalopram can cause hypoglycemic reactions. Maybe? I have been on it for about a year. I wonder if it is also the heat and working outside?

September 26, 2011 at 11:14 am
(34) kayla says:

Have you have your hormone levels checked? I had this issue after having my 4th child and my gyno put me on progesterone and it helped a ton!

November 22, 2011 at 3:12 am
(35) Shital Perwaz says:

Hi Guys,

I am now 35 years old. During my school years I suffered from
3 fits. However, I was never diagnosed with Epilepsy.
In the last 5 years I have been suffering from Panic Attacks too aafter experiencing a few spaced out symptoms when I have been out. I did my own research and have come to the conclusion that I have reactive hypoglycemia!!! And I think I have suffered with it for quite a few years without knowing it.
I think the symptoms of hypoglycemia are very similar to panic attacks, and I think at the time my seizures were down to low blood sugar and not epilepsy. At the moment I am having a very difficult time trying to get myself diagnosed!! I have been sent for a GTT, and although at the end of the test I experienced hypo symptoms, the hosp lost my bloods and report, and the endo made a diagnosis based on the glucose monitor results instead. She said I had Diabetes Type 2!!! This is absolutely crazy as my blood sugar is never high it’s always the opposite. The doc sent me for another test and the results have come back normal. I know for sure that I have reactive hypo but I just can’t get the diagnosis!!! Is anyone else having similar problems? I have adapted my diet in the last 4 months and have noticed a big difference, it’s just a pain having to eat every 2/3 hours to keep my blood sugar levels up.

March 30, 2011 at 6:01 am
(36) Cherie says:

I’ve been going through hell for the pass 3 years trying to figure out what’s wrong with me….i think i might have hypoglycemia. but i’m not sure. please help!

i sweat all the time, especially in my hands, feet and armpits. but i feel so cold all the time. even when i’m in an airconditioned room, i sweat so much then start shivering cos i can’t stand the cold.

the only time i am ever dry is when i eat. the minute i start eating, i feel like a normal person. i know no one who has these symptoms. then of course there’s the palpitations, agitations, anxiety, irritability, mood swings etc.

i just wanna know…does anyone have excessive sweating, and gets dry when eating?

September 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm
(37) Ronda says:

I have the sweats …hands and feet. This tends to be worse in the morning and as I go about my day it gets better. I am wondering if it is just anxiety, thyroid, or what (maybe hypoglycemic) . this is such a pain as I have never had any of these symptoms before. I have lost 25-30 lbs over the last 10 months though.

November 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm
(38) CT says:

I have the same thing. Hypoglycemia….I am trying to find the root cause of it which is definitely NOT anxiety. Can be Candida as I was alcoholic and am abstinent from last 1 year. I also have back aches….My suggestion is to stop asking the American doctors and travel eastwards to Singapore, China or India. Doctors are better and they give a keen ear to their patients and their approach is to cure the ailment and not the symptoms….Best of luck

May 17, 2011 at 9:18 am
(39) lori c says:

I was diagnosed back in my 20s with hypoglycemia. with a high protein diet and watching my intake of foods. I have it under control.
Lots of willpower and discipline to prepare and measure all foods. Well worth it today though

September 23, 2011 at 4:00 pm
(40) Angela says:

Lori C – I’d love to hear what your daily menu looks like. What do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks? How often do you eat? I haven’t been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, but my symptoms align with what I’ve read. Thanks in advance!

May 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm
(41) misty says:

last year i was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and i have found ways to prevent my little episodes that i have when my blood sugar is low…between breakfast,lunch and diner i usually eat fruit..natural sugars help me the best

June 29, 2011 at 9:59 am
(42) Josephine says:

i’m really worried. I have been suffering with shakes and weakness since i was young. The only way i can sort it out is to eat something. Yesterday though my cousins came up so I didn’t realise i was hungry until i got up. When i was half-way up the hall i felt really dizzy and my legs turned to jelly. I dragged myself to the kitchen and made a sandwich and tea. By now the shakes had set in. I spilled the tea because my shakes were so bad. I didn’t tell my mam because i didn’t want to worry her. The shakes and dizziness have only just stopped 1 hour ago. I’m scared that the symptoms might get worse and more frequent.

August 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(43) Lesley says:

Josephine, please go to the doctor. Tell your mother about your symptoms. It will only get worse if you don’t keep yourself on a good diet. It might go away for a little while but it will come back, trust me, I know. Please don’t put it off.

August 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm
(44) kathy says:

I have struggled with this for many years. I have been diagnosed with it but still having problems. I recently found this site with some great information and vitamin and diet recommendations. http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/hypoglycemia.htm

October 12, 2011 at 10:27 pm
(45) nicole says:

Hi, I have been having most of the symptoms listed above for years, recently it has become extremely worse so much that I am now struggling to work. I can no longer exercise or do to much activity. One day I am ok then the next I am not able to function. I have been to my g.p, cardiologist and a endocronoligist all to tell me they don’t know what is wrong with me. My G.P said it is possible that I will never know what is wrong.

Any suggestions as to what I should do now? Most of my symptoms are simliar to diabetes and hypoglycemia. What should I do now? :(

November 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(46) Emma says:

Hey, Im 16 and I have alot of symptoms of Hypoglycemia. I suffer from headaches, feeling faint, shaking, paleness and blurred eyesight as well as feeling tired. I was told by the doctors that it is caused by dehydration and i knew it was not this because i drink lots of it.. any ideas of whether it is Hypoglycemia or anything else? i’d appreciate it :)

December 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm
(47) penny says:

I have had tingling in my face for years and spells that leave me shaking ,sweating ,and dizzy.I have been to the ER a few times for these symptoms.They were no help.I was told there is nothing wrong with me.In the last year my symptoms have become more severe and have been happening more often,so i decided to get a glucose meter and check my own sugsr levels when i am feeling symptoms.And now i know my sugar drops,sometimes as low as 49.I am making an appointment with a doctor so i can show them my own records.Now i know i am not nuts,and there is something going on.

January 17, 2012 at 3:09 am
(48) Factfreak says:

@Tim – it seems you are truly neive about the amount of people on anti-depressant, anti-psychotic, anti-convulsion type medications…. There are thousands of cases of people, including young children who promontory reside in foster care/social services, particularly in the united states who are given MULTIPLE of the drugs I have described above. It’s a well known fact that there are doctors with mal-practices and they do not ever intend on ethically healing their patients. People who SADLY have chemical imbalances that they were born with in their brain need to have medications to regulate their functions of their body. In some cases this is simply for the sake of happiness or purely carrying out the most basic of functions… I would highly recommend meeting, coaching, conversing, interacting or living with people who suffer from these issues… Not only can other diseases or conditions be masked by Hypoglecemia, Bi-Polarism (with its varying degrees) but there can be multiple existing health factors to promote the detirioration of already wreaking systems… I have multiple family members with mental disorders.. But they are manageable to some extent, similar to those of whom who live with diabetes, anemia, pain, digestive problems, cancer… Everything can come in capsule sizes so in a lot of ways I am an advocate of medication… But that also means the right healthcare professional for guidance and understanding. If the medication isn’t right and you need a second opinion, do it without regrets. With having spent months on the wrong medications, I feel others pain.

Be understanding and empathetic to those who in some ways seem different to you… Not all of us are blessed with ‘normal amounts’ of dopamine or serotonine.

February 2, 2012 at 8:37 pm
(49) Pixie says:

Ever since my son was born 7 months ago I have the sudden sickness….I will sweat, shake, and panic…I have had panic attacks in the past and these feel different. So I thought it was low blood sugar…..I went to the doc and told her and she checked my thyroid…the TSH came back in the normal range but very low….I went back after still not feeling well and she basically told me it was in my head…..I asked her to do more in depth testing and she said it wasn’t necessary. Not that I don’t believe her but could my thyroid be out of wack from the birth of my son and then set my blood sugars out of wack? I’m sick of dealing with this!! I do feel better when I have protein snacks throughout the day but I just have never felt this horrible before!! All after I had my son…and I want to enjoy him! Not worry! Comments or suggestions please????

March 29, 2012 at 7:09 pm
(50) Tired says:

I am having similar symptoms right now, for a few years now actually. Falling asleep in class even when I’m interested. I sweat a lot. Get extremely cold and sweat a lot even then. I have been to the doctor, who looks at me in a funny way as if i’m wasting his time. He did diabetes, thyroid, iron and b12 test. Only my b12 was really low. So they gave me a shot of it in my butt, i fainted. (Still waiting for intrinsic factor results to tell me whether or not my body absorbs b12 at all)A week later I don’t feel any better. In fact right now i feel extremely tired and a bit nauseous. I slept 8 hours last night. I have an assignment i really need to be doing now, and have been napping for the last 4 hours and waking even more tired! I guess I am under a lot of stress (being in my 4th year of an intensive degree) but I just don’t care about uni any more and procrastinate to the point of self destruction. I used to be very diligent and passionate about my subject but now I just feel lost.
Am I just imagining these symptoms and have a psychological problem or am I sick???

April 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm
(51) friday says:

There is an illness called chronic fatique syndrome which is an epidemic . Most drs don’t even understand the illness. Symptoms are all very similar. They are just starting to research this. Extreme fatique, blurry vision, light headed, chills, sweats, shakes, panic attacks. There are drs out there that are treating it. Most are researchers. Look up cfids, me, cfs

April 23, 2012 at 5:53 am
(52) franz gston says:

I was diagosed of type 2 diabetes mellitus just a week ago. My doctor prescribed me the Galvus Met and started drinking it last Saturday, since then I recognized that my body temperature rise to 38degrees giving me a slight fever. Is it a sign of hypoglycemia?

April 29, 2012 at 11:00 am
(53) Liv says:

I am 13 and I am hypoglycemic but I have never been formally diegnosed. I am super skinny and tall and have never weighed more than 120. Is it even posibal for me to have hypoglycemia?

June 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm
(54) Mist says:

Dear Tired – I realize you commented here back in March and probably won’t see this, but you described the way I am feeling perfectly!!! Even right down to the B12 shots… which have done nothing for me as far as helping the exhaustion.

For a long time, I’ve been exhausted to the point that I can’t stand it (even though I sleep about 9 hours a night).

For the past few weeks, weird things have been happening, which I thought were anxiety attacks, but something in the back of my brain says they aren’t. I get so exhausted I can’t stand it, but when I lie down, my heart is beating so fast and I can’t calm down. Yes, I realize this sounds like anxiety attacks, but I have had depression my entire life and I’ve never had anxiety attacks. In fact, I don’t take anything for my depression, because I am able to deal with it very well.

I also suffer from IBS and chronic pain (have been diagnosed with FMS or CFS), but I’ve never had anxiety attacks. And, I don’t have anything upsetting me more than normal, so i dont’ know why all of a sudden I’d be feeling like this.

I also shake, sometimes to the point of spilling my water when I try to take a drink. And, I feel nauseated often.

June 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(55) Sara says:

June 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm
(56) Sara says:

Hey, im 15, ive always had this thing that i kinda got used to that i didnt know what it was but my mom always called it nervous stomach and my brother had it too, that when we ate anything that was greasy or processed our stomach would start hurting, my brother never said much about it he tried to be all i can deal with it and crap but i couldnt so most of the time i didnt eat, ti made me feel better, i dealt with the classic symptoms u get when u dnt eat, hunger prangs, dizziness, light headedness, i got used to it and on top of that i was really bad about mood swings, i thought i was depressed i think i still struggle with it but i didn’t eat because it made me feel worse, then when i was old enough to buy my own stuff, i started buying fruit and wheat bread and grilling chicken instead of frying it, i stopped eating mcdonalds and sonic and anything i knew would make me sick, i always went to places with my friends to eat and when i stated i didnt want anything to eat they tried to make me, i started explaining to them taht when i eat, i get sick, my stomach hurts and i start shaking and sweating and i fee nauseas and i dnt feel good, i dnt feel like being there so i stopped eating when i was around ppl, i tried to not make ppl notice but i started looking into stuff like depression and seizures bc i thought the lightheadedness was from the auras u experience before a seizure, i looked into cancer and tumors bc i had really bad headaches, like when i got one i couldnt look at light i could listen to music but it couldnt be very loud and i had to be at home otherwise i knew i didnt feel good, anyways now im looking into hypoglycemia i think tahts what i have because i have a lot of the syumptoms and i had a teacher with it and she said she experinced the same thing

June 19, 2012 at 11:12 am
(57) Cee says:

Hi. I came to this site trying to figure out what’s wrong with myself. It’s getting so I hate to eat because I always have to sleep after wards for about 20 minutes or so and I’m tormented with a feeling of extreme shakes while sleeping. (I always call it ‘the shakes’) Sometimes I get the shakes after going longer than I should without eating, and I have learned that protein makes everything alright again. But now this is happening after eating meals. These aleep-shakes are really beginning to bother me. Has anyone else experienced the same?

June 30, 2012 at 7:46 am
(58) Alison says:

Thanks for this informative post. This perfectly describes what ive been going through the last few months. Since doing shift work over the last year, ive watched my body decline, losing hair, hypovitaminosis, etc. My husband tries to be supportive when i get moody & cloudy-headed & stubborn. He calls me “hangry” being a combo of hungry & angry & he encourages me to eat. Thanks for the dietary info also, i will steer clear of the unrefined sugars where possible as i am a major culprit of grabbing quick bakery items.

July 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm
(59) Shelly says:

I was diagnosed two years ago with hypoglycemia. Even though I eat every two to three hours I still feel sick, dizzy, fuzzy headed and cannot concentrate and so on. For the past three months I have had a strange felling [like a fine hair] in my throat, my doc says that it is just acid reflux. My doc sent me to a ear, throat and nose specialist. This Dr. Spent five minutes with me as it was the end of the day and basically told me the same thing. Now I am having a hard time swolling, like I have a lump in my throat. I have had mt thyroid levels checked and the levels all come back within normal range. The reason that I bring this up is because my mom had her thyroid removed due to having Hashimotos disease, my grandmother also has thyroid issues. I have asked my Dr. to do a sonogram but he just keeps insisting that this is acid relux. I am about ready to go crazy.

July 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(60) Anita says:

Dear Shelly,
I suggest you see another doctor. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and my thyroid level was fine but have a goiter with nodules.
I also suggest to everyone to get copies of all tests and keep them.
They have come in handy more than once, especially if you are going to be switching doctors. I had to go through a few doctors before I researched endocrinologists and got on armour thryoid. I now feel so much better than I did on Levothyroxine and that doctor had me at 2.5 level, now this new doctor has me at .91. She wanted me at the level that I was first diagnosed with the goiter at when I wasn’t having any other symptoms and she was right with that diagnosis. But let me tell you, if I didn’t have copies of all of my bloodwork, she would have had nothing to go by. Hope this helps.

Anita

July 23, 2012 at 12:51 am
(61) Julia says:

i have had this for years and never knew what to do about it recently i have noticed an increase in the symptoms and thought i was sick for the whole summer. i saw a doctor and they said i was perfectly fine. i now know i need to change my diet. thanks for the help!

July 29, 2012 at 6:19 am
(62) swaminathan says:

i experienced hypoglycemic condition yesterday when i was driving my car alone.at 12.30 p.m after taking a cup of tea with sugar. i am a type 2 diabetic taking tablets .
i experienced drenched sweating while driving .from head to hip my shirt was completely got wet with sweat .

August 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm
(63) sw says:

PIXIE did you lose a fair bit of blood during childbirth ? Please check info on Sheehan syndrome your TSH will be low not raised if I am correct so your doctor would not notice anything wrong if not looking for this … hope this helps ….

August 21, 2012 at 10:23 am
(64) payday uk says:

I believe restriction how you are likely to use it. Renovation the house, get hold of a automobile or perhaps merge your outdated financial obligations against your house put as security. The online loan procedure has easy the full tactic to this sort of degree, that obtaining permitted on the web and obtaining a fast loan, is child’s perform. A lot of loan loan companies have laid back the stringent loan technique and made easier out for yourself. Dispose of your loan complications and obtain your loan accepted quickly, without the credit score assessment.

August 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm
(65) nicole says:

For Cherie: I have the same.. the only time i am ever dry is when i eat. The minute i start eating, i feel like a normal person..How old are you Cherie? Since when you have this?

August 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm
(66) Rachea says:

I have been having severe migraines for years. Back in march I started having seizures. I have lost 20# since march without trying. I am 5’7″ and weigh 129# so I’m not over weight. Blood work and all other test have been done and they treated me for anxiety and depression. I collapse about 1 hr after I eat. I get migraines several times a week and have had about 40 seizures. Could this be low sugar?

September 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm
(67) Loretta says:

I had bleeding ulcers that never healed completing with cauterizing and medications. Finally 5 yrs. ago. I had ulcer surgery which the doctors do not like doing,due side effects. The surgery was great for me no more severe vomiting etc. with in the last 18 months, I started having seizures happening at random times. I to self treat by adjusting diet more protein etc. gained a little weight. Now, the seizures are more frequent! At least once a month. Went to a neurologist MRI EEG all neg. my internalist througtht that it might be a benign tumor on pancreas. I bought a one touch machine they have been as low as 30-65 several times. My first visit to an endocrine doctor at first wanted to check me in the hospital and run a battery of test( glucose tolerance ,the pancreas etc.). I was excited to think I could find an answer for the seizures. Later,the same day I visited with the doctor that she research it more and just wanted to draw one fasting blood sugar and make a follow up appt in two weeks with her for a follow-up.
Am I crazy that I want to be admitted in case of another severe seizure and not be proactive, for preventive medical or stopping these seizures . Home alone a lot and drive a lot on highways and worry about myself and others while I drive!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

October 1, 2012 at 3:24 am
(68) AL says:

I have these symptoms for about 1 year now .. it all started in one morning .. i haven’t eat anything and about 11 i drinked a ENERGY DRINK MONSTER the green one. After i drink that.. I start shaking really bad change the color of my body, i sweat a lot. Luckly my wife came over and brought some food and after 1-2 hours i start feeling better. BUT since then… I have had this problems. I can not enjoy anything anymore. I TOTALLY screw up everything in my body since that day. I gain pounds.

I did go to the doctor and he said that my thyroid is a little low my sugar it’s low…

He only gave me some really small medication for thyroid THAT I feel really bad after taking it. I took it for 2 weeks ( a quarter) from that small medication. and then i live them because i didn’t feel any better.

I AM SO GLAD I HAVE FOUND THIS INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE.
I though I HAVE TO EAT A LOT OF SWEETS so i can keep my blood sugar HIGH.. but that was the problem. I will try not to eat anything sweet anymore. .. If i don’t eat every 2-3 hours I shake and I lose my temper, I feel like i am passing out, like i don’t have any air to bread, After I eat everything comes to normal for about 2-3 hours and then starts again.

Please tell me if you guys have the same problems…

And also what it bothers me the most…I fell like going to the bathroom like 7- 12 times a day. AND I MUST HAVE A BATHROOM .

Anyone else have this symptoms?

October 5, 2012 at 7:07 pm
(69) Dawn says:

Your symptoms are classic Lyme disease. Find an LLMD (Lyme literate medical doc) and they are experts including managing toe endocrine system which Lyme crashes. There is hope!!

October 20, 2012 at 9:08 pm
(70) Teresa Rodriguez says:

my sugar level is sometime lower then 70 i am trying to eat healthly but i can’nt combine my diet i need to learn how, i do not go see a doctor cause i do not have insurance, i am not taking madicaton cause i am bodrer line i do not know what to do, i do have alot of stress my husband is stage 3 liver failer sometimes he get very mad for anything, but anyway i need to learn how to combine my diet

November 12, 2012 at 1:38 am
(71) HypoMaybe??? says:

So, for years I have had a problem similar to hypoglycemia. If I do not eat every couple of hours, I get weak, shakey, heart palpitations, queasy, loss of concentration, the whole 9. I never linked it to hg. When this happened, I would remember “oh ya, you probably need to eat”, but when I did, I didn’t feel like eating. I was so sick to my stomach that the thought of eating made me feel sicker. After I push myself to eat ( usually something to bring my bs level up ), I would still feel queasy. My energy level would come back slowly; I no longer feel AS weak or shakey, but my stomach still feels like I hadn’t eaten and/or just still feeling sick. Has anyone had this problem? I’m making an appt first thing tomorrow, as I just started a bcp a month ago and have noticed my “lows” happening more frequent now. I just want to make sure my still feeling sick is something to be associated with hg since all of the other symptoms are there. Or am I crazy?

December 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm
(72) Faith says:

This has all totally happened to me. My mom has it and my grandma has it. I’ve been really shakey in class this past month and I have sweat more than ever. I’ve been feeling sick a lot and I’ve been feeling depressed even though nothing really bad has happened to me lately. Almost all of those simptoms I have encountered in the past month or two. Is this unusual for a 12 year old?

December 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm
(73) Stacey says:

I developed low blood sugar problems after taking a beta blocker medicine during pregnancy to avoid fast heart rate. After I got off the pill I have had low blood sugar problems and a normal but sort of low blood pressure . Every couple of hours I do need snacks that will raise my blood sugar up. Psychical activities does affect my sugar levels so I have to make sure not to over exert myself or I will need a snack ASAP. I carry packed snacks with me everywhere I go also. I would feel faint, anxiety , crankiness. Just having snacks every couple hours does help and keep snacks on me helps too. I have to make sure I eat BEFORE symptoms start. So 2 hour mark , I eat.

January 8, 2013 at 9:55 pm
(74) Rainsshadows says:

Hi. For the last 2-3 my hands have been really shaky and i have had anxiety. I didnt really worry about the two as i thought it was just due to stress and psychological/emotional damage. I am not so sure now. Recently when my hands started to shake, pretty badly, i drank a as of milk and was fine. Could i possibly have hypoglycemia? Or can it be something else?

January 24, 2013 at 11:18 am
(75) Jo says:

From reading these posts I really feel I may be suffering from hypoglycaemia. For years I have suffered from migraines and since March last year they have become more and more frequent for some reason and I am having them pretty much every day. Although the headache is a dull pain and not absolutely horrendous I usually feel sick and quite tired with them and often a bit dizzy or light-headed too, which makes me feel really horrible. If I eat something then the migraine will almost always go away (I might get another one later that day or the next, but eating definitely helps). I eat normally and don’t skip meals and I’ve had various tests (for diabetes, etc.) and an MRI to check for anything serious and have been told that all is okay. I’m convinced there is a link with my sugar levels, however the neurologist I have been seeing is very dismissive of that possibility and says it would be very rare if there was a link. Instead I am being plied with all sorts of tablets to try and cure my migraines, none of which are working. I’m being referred to see a dietician as I’m convinced there’s a link to my sugar levels dropping and want to learn more about what to eat and avoid. Things that are supposed to be slow releasing energy such as porridge and bananas don’t work for me, and today after a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a banana mid-morning I had what I suspect was another mild hypoglycaemic attack, I felt really light-headed, my headache kicked in, and I found it really hard to concentrate and focus. Unsurprisingly, after lunch I felt much better. Has anyone else experienced a similar connection with headaches or can offer any advice as to what is wrong with me – it’s starting to really get to me now as it’s been going on for so long. Thanks!

February 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm
(76) Toni says:

From 10 years old I often got the shakes, and if I didn’t eat quickly, migraines that made me feel so ‘yuck’ and nauseous, I basically had to go to a darkened room and sleep to get over it. By my teens I was managing it by eating a lot and regularly (I did a lot of sport so didn’t gain weight fortunately). I used to have 4 pieces of toast for breakfast, then morning tea by 10am.(I’d be already starting to feel slightly light-headed by then, and If I missed morning tea altogether – disaster), then a huge lunch, then a huge afternoon tea…… I rang out of bread one morning, so my flatmate made muesli and yogurt for me for breakfast…. What a difference, I didn’t feel ‘light headed’ by 10am just slightly peckish…. I think I was about 24 by then. Over the years I have learnt about simple v complex carbs. I ensure I have protein for breakfast (2xeggs), and lunch (chicken/prawns), and afternoon tea (normally a nut dense muesli bar). I also try and avoid white bread as that seemed to affect my blood sugars (I use gluten free bread for breakfast, and try and avoid bread altogether for lunch). I’m gluten sensitive I’ve discovered though so that may be a separate issue to hypoglycemia. And, well actually, I haven’t even been diagnosed with hypoglycemia – all the blood tests I had for the severe shakiness, brain fog, nausea, migraines which were having a significant impact on my life came back ‘normal’ apparently. So, it was my flatmate who unknowingly helped me more than any of the doctors I saw over a 10 year period. I was eating a diet quite high in simple carbs (white bread, pasta, cereals etc) because I felt ‘better’ when I ate them when I was feeling shaky, so thought they were ‘good’ for me. Now I know they are good to counteract a low blood sugar attack, but that the best method is to avoid the yo-yo entirely by eating a diet high in protein and complex carbs.

February 22, 2013 at 12:20 am
(77) Dreasan says:

After reading the article and the comments, I know for sure that I’m hypoglycemic. It’s going be hard to going through the withdrawal symptoms, but I didn’t know the culprits were alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine! They have been my “buddies” for years!
Goddamn, it’s going to be like attending a funeral. I’ve got to bury three “close friends” or continue and be buried next to them.

February 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(78) NYCGal says:

Me too. I just figured out what I have been suffering from my whole life. My mom always said I wasn’t eating enough in the morning, but I figured it couldn’t be the issue since I am not underweight. I will also be swearing off all alcohol, tobacco and caffeine. I never realized that my body could become so sensitive. I had a coffee this morning and had to spend 2 hours in bed just to recover. From now on it’s tea totaling, green tea, and not even social smoking. It’s worth it to have energy to do the things you love! I always know my birth control had some effect as well. I get soaked with sweat at night, am exhausted after a solid night’s sleep. Need to stay in bed for a whole day after even one night of drinking. Feel lightheaded and blurred vision in the daytime. Feel short of breath and get palpitations, have panic attacks. So glad to find I am not the only one suffering. My husband thought this was all in my head.

February 27, 2013 at 9:14 pm
(79) Gaby says:

I can identify with you NYC Gal. I´ve had so many of these symptoms ever since I was a little (nausea, feeling faint, sweaty hands, shakiness, weakness, headaches), and I always believed it was low blood pressure. For some years I had medication (drops) available for low blood pressure for when I felt sick but somehow I knew they weren´t making me feel better so I stopped taking them. I´m 38 now, and only recently have I discovered that when the symptoms start, I crave a fruit, so I started eating an apple or a plum , and pretty soon I felt relief. Its AMAZING to know that I can do something to feel better. When I told my mom this, she mentioned I could have hypoglycemia, like my aunt on my father´s side. That is how I came upon this blog and I feel better days are ahead for me healthwise. I think this is probably why I have such a low tolerance for alcohol. I don´t drink because it makes me feel lousy. Thanks for sharing this information and your experiences. Feel better every one!

March 9, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(80) Doug says:

I am having signs of dizziness and shaky..Believe I might be hypoglycemic.. Can anyone give me some advise as to what it might be..

March 10, 2013 at 2:57 am
(81) Lucidus says:

Hypoglycemia can be life threatening.

Your body can regulate sugar in general and specifically for the brain. Once you reach the heart palpitations, chest pain, ringing in your ears, blurred vision, extreme agitation, shakes, etc. you may be in a dangerous place because your brain is screaming for glucose.

Some options
-.Have some peanut butter and jelly or some honey roasted almonds or peanuts (if you are not allergic).
- Even an apple is a good thing.
-About a teaspoon of sugar and something protein like nuts or cheese and a starch like crackers or a piece of bread.

Sometimes the cause of the low sugar is
-failure to eat
-reaction to a sugary or high starch intake >40 grams of carbs or > 18-20 g of sugars.
-metabolic thyroid, adrenaline, cancer.

Hypoglycemia is under diagnosed because it is assumed that we have control over our eating habits and stress. Unlike diabetes, we cannot last long with low sugar like we can we high sugar. Our bodies push to respond quickly.

Eat the best you can and see a physician. Do not mess around with this.

March 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm
(82) Doris Pfennig says:

Thank you for the extremely informative information. My husband has been suffering the past couple of months with, what we thought were, mystery symptoms. He was in the hospital 3 times since the new year with no conclusive diagnosis.

We had started to suspect that Hypoglycemia might be the cause but weren’t sure. After reading the information we found that he was having almost ALL the classic signs plus some of the more sever signs.

We can now take this information to his doctor and hopefully get my husband back on the road to good health and a normal life again.

Thank you !

March 20, 2013 at 12:52 am
(83) GK says:

The symptoms seem somewhat similar to hypothyroidism. I’m not sure what I got now.

March 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm
(84) Christy says:

So, I have been for about a year-year and a half, been getting extremely shaking between meals. Its been bad enough to lose all color and feel as if Im going to fall down and pass out. I believe its hypoglycemia. I had my blood draw up last fall, and at 1pm my sugar was only 70, after I had eaten lunch. The doctor says oh its perfect, Anyone else I have spoken with says that’s to low for that time of day, especially right after lunch. I have a history of diabeties on both sides of my family. Should I make an appointment with the endocrinologist to make sure that it is “fine” as the family doctor says??

April 12, 2013 at 9:53 am
(85) Spenser says:

Hi all.

This is a very frustrating condition, and getting a doctor to accept it is almost impossible. :-(

April 12, 2013 at 9:55 am
(86) Craig says:

Frustrating…an under statement!

April 12, 2013 at 10:31 am
(87) Spenser says:

I only recently obtained a formal diagnosis of H.G after more than 4years of hell.

I had to fight like hell to get something done. I had consistent testing which showed very high insulin 160+, followed by very low drop in glucose 2-2.4mmol. However, because my glucose levels usually showed as normal I kept getting told I don’t have diabetes & was left with that.
Doctors don’t figure that high insulin is a problem, just ask a diabetic what happens if they load up with too much insulin!

I am about to lose my job because of insensitive managers who refused to believe I was ill, put strict conditions upon me(which for obvious reasons…being ill failed to meet), and because of useless doctors who labelled me with a stress disorder. It’s easier that way!!

I can understand, & have experienced the extreme symptoms of this condition. At the worst point I contemplated suicide due to the extreme pain i felt when my metabolism was swinging back & forth. The constant tug-of-war between my insulin spiking & the adrenaline increasing to balance it out was unbearable. At present, when my sugar drops I start to feel like i am having a heart attack & my chest is being crushed. Small regular sips of coke brings me back again.

I still haven’t found out the exact cause as yet, a possible pancreas problem. Prior to first suffering this, I had nearly two months of constant pain in my abdomen that worsened when eating. I still get pain now & then to this day.

My suggestion to anyone getting a check for this is to request an oral glucose test (3 or 5hrs). It’s not nice, but helpful. Make sure you get tested for insulin levels with each hourly/30 mins blood sample. Someone asked before about the length of time for fasting, I found I couldn’t last longer than 8 hours without being a gibbering wreck, so just play it by ear.

Most importantly, don’t always believe the doctors, if you die…that will just say “next patient please!”

Be strong…and live long.

May 26, 2013 at 9:46 am
(88) roz says:

My daughter has this and rares up at me constantly she says the most horrible things and am finding it hard to cope with living with her. She wants me to hug her but am afraid as she is very hard to deal with, she doesn’t understand. Feel I am also going through this illness as I don’t eat properly due to stress.
Continually arguing is killing me. Never anything good said to me just unsults and dirt digging.

June 23, 2013 at 6:50 pm
(89) beentheredonethat says:

I love the bipolar ideas doctors have and medications they give for it. A doctor told me I’d get used to symptoms like my throat swelled up and being unable to swallow., he didn’t check my breathing. Another patient heard me complain about not being able to eat and swallow and told the family pratice, who visited the next day, and I was pulled off the cocktail of meds and switched to another he would have killed me. Now I am allergic to 98% of all medications even antibiodics. They knew my blood suger was low but chose not to address it. Doctors will still do this and I can’t imagine where I would be if I wasn’t allergic to all the meds they perscribe. I’m trying to do things with my blood suger to raise it and that helps more than anything the doctors do. I even was able to cut down on my otc meds. I do notice if I don’t take my stomach med my blood suger is worse and I feel bad. Angry and upset is how I get with low blood suger when I don’t eat. Bipolar symptoms go away when your blood suger is right. Don’t take meds your body doesn’t need it won’t be good.

July 17, 2013 at 11:24 pm
(90) Jerry C. says:

Question: When the blood sugar levels drops and the person is close to fainting, eating sugar is the emergency help. But this article says that it is eating sugars that causes hypolycaemia. Then: To eat sugar, or not to eat when you are collapsing from low blood sugar?

July 24, 2013 at 6:14 am
(91) Karla says:

I’ve been to hell and back in the last 4 years. In 2009 decided to drink juice for breakfast and break and not eat until lunch, its good for you the book said, all the goodness going straight into your body, I made a smoothie with avocado for breakfast and had remaining juice for lunch. Then I couldn’t do my job, couldn’t cope with my difficult boss and eventually went off sick and was put on anti depressants. Was ok for a bit, was exercising and eating ok but then in the summer of 2010 the same thing happened. I wasn’t eating properly because I was grieving, went back to work to find I had 0 energy, went back on antidepressants, nothing. By 2012 I was good for nothing, anxiety, no energy, sore muscles, no will power. Then in March 2013 I made the choice to go vegan, at the same time I decided to take the opportunity to eat well. All symptoms disappeared. Then the heat came, I couldn’t eat because I was uncomfortably hot, I lived on snacks, now the same symptoms have come back, they get worse when I am hungry. At one point I was out of control, I had really bad rages that scared even me. They don’t happen now because I know to eat. It took me forever to work out what was going on, it was only when one evening I got all shaky and then the next morning felt a bit rough as a result that I put 2 and 2 together. All those holidays I went on where my symptoms eased, I was eating well, all those times that I had eaten healthy food and been cured only to go back to eating junk again because I fell into bad habits. & because of this I have been through the mental health system, spent a fortune on counselling and thought I was going crazy. At the moment I am trying to get through the sugar cravings so I can get rid of the tiredness again, its so hard but I know it will be worth it.

July 30, 2013 at 10:16 pm
(92) kenz says:

I think I also have this! and it scares the shit out of me I feel like im losing my mind :( and as soon as I start feeling slow I eat cuz as soon as the shaking or confusion sets in its all down hill throws me straight in to a panic attack witch just makes everything 10x worse! but I almost always feel weird for about 3 months not once have not felt myself.. I get to the point where I feel better but never normal.. in the mornings I feel imma die im fighting with myself in my head to breath my heart poundin body shaking my head killing me my whole body feeing weird

August 17, 2013 at 11:54 pm
(93) Charity says:

Not to sound redundant, I’ve been having all the same issues too. Then one day, I felt like I was going to die and ended up in urgent care. They gave me an antibiotic to treat a bladder infection (Bactrim Ds) and for that week everything went away. For that week I felt normal again- no swelling, no pain, no indigestion, no confusion. I graduated at the top of my class and was exposed to a lot of ticks my senior year and have been sick as f— ever since. (Removed 40ish from my mom’s dogs).

Tested positive for reactive hypoglycemia, severe indigestion, joint pain, inability to focus (not like me), and basically all the issues everyone keeps talking about. 40,000 people are diagnosed with Lyme disease every year and apparently Bactrim DS is one drug used to kill the 3 bacterial associated with the disease. This condition requires at least 3 mo. Of antibiotic to be effective, so clearly my meager 10 days only gave me a taste of relief. Could we all just have Lyme?

August 18, 2013 at 12:22 am
(94) Charity says:

And yes, I’ve struggled with the loss of focus, severe cognitive impairment, and difficulty finding the right words. Kind of feeling loopy all the time. Completely gone for that week, no pain, no swelling, no swollen feet, skin started to look normal again. Clearly something bacterial. With antibiotics under lock and key, no wonder so many people are desperate; it’s the only cure for Lyme. There is hope everyone :) Don’t give up!

August 18, 2013 at 12:29 am
(95) Charity says:

Not to be a Chatty Cathy, but I also was having difficulty walking, every step hurt. Went from running over 200 miles per mo. to having to give myself a pep talk to walk 1/2 mile. Not okay!!! That first night, I noticed this weird pulling sensation in my feet, like threads were being pulled from my bones. I wanna say 5 hrs later I woke up barely able to walk up the stairs to get my mom for help. I decided not to freak her out and by morning I had zero pain in feet. The next day I had severe pain in my stomach, and then that went away and I was able to eat anything again…

Need I say WTF?

You’re not a hypochondriac, you’re smart and know something’s not right.

August 19, 2013 at 2:11 am
(96) William C Vela says:

I’m looking for anybody to help me out with my brother which live in State Florida with no health insurance have diabetes I get his medication with my insurance because he doesnt have a job me and my friends we put money together in order to apply for his American Citizen we didnt know he had lost his job and was behind with his rent we had sent the money to cover the rent. I dont have a job for that reason I can not buy it airline ticket to bring him to New York to have it him check up with a blood work out because now he’s developed it Hypoglycemia Im scare so scare now this is why asking for help for god sake anybody kinows a organization to help us. He live in the Area of Coral Springs< Florida 33065.
Not to long ago we lost our mother please I don't want to loose my brother too. his phone # 954-756-1805
my E-mail velat1950@aol.com.
thanks so much.
Theresa

August 25, 2013 at 12:26 am
(97) gloria says:

does anybody knows what is the normal glucose level

September 2, 2013 at 11:54 am
(98) Spenser says:

Regarding the previous question, anything from 4.5 to 6.5mmol may be considered ‘normal’ glucose levels.

However, that said I’ve had hypo symptoms with glucose levels of 5 and above. Sometimes, not normalising until 7mmol. Can depend on the individual and the severity of your condition.

I have recently been able to get back into the gym & worked out reasonably hard, to the point of passing out on stationary bike. I find that if I go early morning before eating, I can get my body to find it’s own energy source. I boost it a bit with some glucose power/tablets (before/after/during).

I try to burn off 2/3 of the calories I eat during the day & seems to be the only way to lose weight. I still have ups & downs, but mostly manage to keep myself on an even balance.

I seem to find sushi rolls with chicken, beef or prawn give me a decent energy flow. However, I do eat them slowly, one at a time & listen to my body as to whether I need more…or not! I do get hypers when I feel like I’m rolling downhill with no breaks & can’t stop!

My advice, from personal experience, is to absorb all info you can, but when trying it, listen to your body. It will tell you whether it is working or not.

September 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm
(99) Sunshine says:

You’re right about birth control making a difference in blood sugar levels. I’ve been hypoglycemic ever since I was a child and once I started taking birth control (I don’t remember what it was) I noticed that I had a harder time controlling my blood sugar. The excess of hormones can cause low blood sugar, which is why switching to a birth control with lower hormones will help the problem.

September 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm
(100) Eve Mulder says:

I was tested when I was 15. I was borderline. Over the yrs my nerves, depression, etc. I believe I have it.

September 22, 2013 at 12:43 am
(101) Candi says:

the doctor has not diagnosed me with hypoglycemia also she refuses to do so because she states im in a normal range but why am I showing signs of hypoglycemia this is not the only thing it is the same situation with my thyroid it shows normal but signs and symptoms state I have have it I am 37 and for 32 years I was never over 130 pounds unless I was pregnant and the biggest I got was 160 pounds but 1 month after each birth I went strait back to 130 but a warning signs showed when I turned 33 I went to 150 pounds then a year later I went back down to 140 pounds then boom for 4 years I started gaining wait rapidly I almost hit 200 mark then it would fluctuate from 170 for a few months the climb high then get back in the 170′s range then I couldn’t get no lower then 185 for a few months now im back to fluctuating again. Is there something wrong with my doctor or could there be something she is missing? Oh and I also eat healthy I haft to or I become real sick I need help and some advice on this madness. Thank You!

September 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm
(102) Nancy says:

I am quite sure I have hypoglycemia —– and trying to eat the right foods no liquor coffee and careful with the sugar (I do not smoke). Please ex plain to me the difference between hypoglycemia and reactive hypoglycemia ——- hypoglycemia meaning low blood sugar. Thank you.

October 9, 2013 at 10:30 am
(103) Ted Chapman says:

I enjoyed reading your posting. It was very informative. I have a few of the listed symptoms and I will discuss this matter with my doctor during my physical this afternoon.

October 10, 2013 at 7:45 am
(104) monica says:

Hi, just recently I have been experiencing the shakes when I don’t eat breakfast (which I never really have) by 1pm I have the shakes really bad and when I eat I’m ok. I have had blood tests about 4 months ago and my dr said it didn’t show anything to be concerned about but these shakes are getting annoying to say the least. I went in to have a surgery and after fasting all night they took blood and I got a letter in the mail saying that I need to be checked for diabetes but again my dr says there is nothing to be concerned about.

October 29, 2013 at 6:52 pm
(105) Andrea says:

I have been sick for the past 7 years and not doctor ever did anything about it. I have finally found the reason for my inexplicably illness this week. I have hypoglycemia and it is pretty bad. I hope that underlying causes of if will not be a bad diagnose. I will continue to do blood test to find out the cause of my low blood sugar and I can not wait to stop this internal shaking.
Take care
Andrea

December 15, 2013 at 4:18 am
(106) jazman says:

today i had breakfast and drank coffee (small cup) and i noticed i was shaking, my hands were and my legs. i could hardly walk they were shaking so bad. my head was pounding. and i would sit down then stand back up and get super dizzy and blurred eyes. i didn’t notice my heart racing or sweating, i was having mood swings and getting and easy and slurred my words, can someone help me understand what’s wrong?

December 27, 2013 at 10:44 am
(107) michael says:

i could write very similar symptoms to most of the above comments and i have been fighting HG symptoms for 40 years in one form or another and everyone will have varying types of issues, so what works for one person may not work for another so you need to try and keep your diet regular and equal for several days to get a good idea of what works and what doesnt, i went to a doctor in oct 2004 and he prescribed an antidepressant for my “not feeling well” and irritability and he told me to eat candy for my sugar level which i knew was wrong, the result of the antidepressant was within 3 months i was put on probation at work due to my mood change of not caring what happened at work even major problems were “oh well dont worry about it” i thought everything was fine i had a great attitude and was happy all of the time or so i thought. the low blood sugar was still giving me symptoms of falling asleep after eating and mental confusion and inability to think problems thru and in my job that was not good so within 6 months i was unemployed and no health coverage so i could no longer afford the antidepressants which was a good thing. it took me 3 months to ween myself off of the meds and another year to not have major depression from lack of meds and no job meanwhile the low blood sugar issues remained giving me more and more problems with my health. now my kidneys are giving me problems. Lyme disease, kidney problems and low blood sugar all give similar problems and i have found the medical profession have no clue what is wrong with the average person and i still have no health coverage and only have a part time job as that is all i can manage to do.

December 27, 2013 at 10:46 am
(108) michael says:

i had hopes for obamacare to be my savior and i have lost any hope for that so your best bet is get on a regular diet of what types of food you can eat and be consistent and foods that are slow to metabolize are your best bet with a quick boost only when necessary as a last resort and just remember misdiagnosis is dangerous for your health and employment dont trust any doctor get several opinions and read all you can on reputable sites like this one and others, i hope my long winded comments help

December 27, 2013 at 11:40 am
(109) michael says:

rereading some of the comments above have triggered another thought. sports drinks are not the the answer to boost your sugar level a cup of tea with a small amount of sugar and a cake donut with no icing works for me dairy products do not agree with me so i limit the cream in coffee i have had large quantity’s of coffee and have switched to mostly tea the large amounts of coffee and sugar i have propped myself up with for years has ended up with kidney issues and the million dollar diagnosis of my latest doctor was uremic arthritis, muscle and joint pain due to uremic acid and this was with no blood draw or urine sample. a lot of factors go into regulating sugar levels. your electrolyte levels potassium and other mineral levels also play a role staying hydrated also affects it too much water for me will give me hunger feeling and trigger a low blood sugar event so too much of a good thing can cause issues so be consistent with what you eat and think twice about drinking soda or sweetened iced tea it contains processed sugars that metabolize differently fresh brewed unsweetened tea with one or two packs of sugar will be better than a bottle of processed iced tea or a cup of coffee works for me. the key is a consistent diet and schedule of food intake and food on hand to carry with you so you are not caught without try a granola bar and a bottle of water or several bars in the glove box or desk and it is not a quick boost so expect it to take 10 to 20 min to kick in. a quick boost needs to be followed with a meal quickly to prevent the yo yo of your sugar level

January 3, 2014 at 2:59 pm
(110) Keana says:

So I have been having some of these symptoms for the past few years. Off and on. Most of the time it is just the shaking and lightheaded/dizziness. But I rarely get shaking, dizzy, confused, difficulty speaking, pale, and start crying uncontrollably. Today I told my boyfriend I was shaking and dizzy, then I started crying. I looked this up and am thinking I should get tested to be sure its not just all in my head.

February 16, 2014 at 7:07 pm
(111) Pam says:

I’m 58. At 16 had a grand mal seizure, sugar level was at 16. Diagnosed with epilepsy. I fought that diagnose strongly, then diagnosed with Hypoglycemia. Next few yrs had three seizures, sugar level extremely low each time. Another seven yrs, had a stroke. A weak blood vessel I was born with, caused these seizures, Dr said. The low sugar would just aggreivate it. Since the stroke 28 yrs ago, not one seizure. Dr was right. Ten yrs later had sugar checked, it still showed yes, low blood sugar. But not really any problems with it. Now diagnosed with Fibromylagia, Chronic Fataigue Syndrome, 15 yrs ago. Dr always told me has I aged the low blood sugar would convert to Diabetes. Here lately extremely hot and cold flashes, dizziness a lot. Feeling weird. I do take a thyroid pill, due to the flashes, it was borderline Dr said. Was taking hormones due to no ovarys anymore. The flashes went away for about 9 months. But are back with a vengeance and added dizziness also. Something is messed up. I think its hormones and sugar level combined that is messing me up! Should I see a endocyrinologist?

March 1, 2014 at 8:31 pm
(112) karen says:

I have passed out 2times because of low blood sugar. once in nursing school and one time when I was out of the country. now I know what to look for and do something quickly

March 19, 2014 at 12:43 pm
(113) susan says:

I have been hgaving these spells for several years now but the doctors dont take it as serious as i do. when my glucose was checked it was 62 not fasting and she said that was really normal for a woman because theres run lower than men’s, does this sound right to any of you? my symptoms are getting worse, i get shakey , real bad headace and just have to lay down i feel so bad, i know what you all are going through.

March 20, 2014 at 9:57 pm
(114) Kathy says:

Ive had hypoglycemia for 25 yrs. drs told me its all in your head so i took matters into my own hands & researched as much as i could. Found a great book called” the new hypoglycemia & you” dont know if its in print anymore but it saved my life. Here is what i have learned & how you need to eat. As soon as you get up in the morning have eggs, greek yogurt (very high protein) & wheat toast (never white bread). 3 hours later cheese or low sugar peanut butter & crackers. Lunch lunchmeat or chicken some form of protein, veggies & a piece of fruit. Afternoon snack cheese, peanut butter, yogurt etc. Dinner chicken breast, veggies & salad. NEVER ever eat sugar on an empty stomach, that is what causes the terrible reaction!! Stay away from fruit juices instead eat the whole fruit. Never have pop not even diet. No alcohol. Eat every 3 hours because thats when your sugar begins to drop. If you can comepletely cut out sugar from your diet you will feel better so much better. If not be sure to eat alot of protein & some carbs before you eat a cookie. It is possible to feel better quickly by eating this way. Also, i take 2000mg ester C, hypoglycemic are low in vitamin C. I take 3000iu of D3 & a teaspoon of Hawiian Spirulina which is high in B12 & all the amino acids you need. I hope this info helps those who read it…