1. Health

Mary Shomon

Grapefruit and Weight Loss: The Grapefruit Diet is Alive and Well!

By February 19, 2004

grapefruit diet I don't know about you, but this winter, I've been just binging on grapefruit! It turns out, that my cravings make sense, and are part of my successful weight losss effort.

Now, in a new study by the Nutrition and Metabolic Research Center at Scripps Clinic, researchers have confirmed that the simple act of adding grapefruit and grapefruit juice to one's diet can result in weight loss. The grapefruit diet is not a myth!

With its high fiber content and low glycemic load, grapefruit may be a secret weight-loss weapon. Research suggests that dieter might be more successful if they select foods with staying power like whole citrus that help curb appetite and prevent overeating rather than employing some of the current fad diets. It has been shown that a person can actually eat large quantities of food without consuming too many calories by choosing foods high in fiber and water content. Such foods include fruit, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and some soups. For example, oranges and grapefruit rank #1 and #2 in fiber out of the top 20 most-consumed fruits and vegetables. Studies provide evidence that they provide a greater feeling of fullness and keep blood sugar levels more constant resulting in better appetite control.

Current dieting studies suggest that dieters should focus on eating carbohydrates that have a low impact on blood sugar. This has led to the concept of Glycemic Load (GL), a ranking of food based on its carbohydrate content and its impact on blood sugar level. A GL below 10 is considered low. The GL for a half grapefruit is 6.

In a 12-week pilot study, led by Dr. Ken Fujioka, doctors monitored weight and metabolic factors, such as insulin secretion, of the 100 men and women who participated in the Scripps Clinic "Grapefruit Diet" study. On average, participants who ate half a grapefruit with each meal lost 3.6 pounds, while those who drank a serving of grapefruit juice three times a day lost 3.3 pounds. However, many patients in the study lost more than 10 pounds.

"For years people have talked about the grapefruit diet, and some even swear by it, but now, we have data that grapefruit helps weight loss," said Dr. Fujioka, principal researcher at the Nutrition and Metabolic Research Center at Scripps Clinic. "Our study participants maintained their daily eating habits and slightly enhanced their exercise routine; the only dietary change was the intake of Florida grapefruit and grapefruit juice."

WARNING ABOUT GRAPEFRUIT INTERACTIONS

Some prescription medications interact with grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Most do not, however, and there is no evidence that thyroid medicines interact with grapefruit. But to be sure you understand any possibly interactions with medications you take, read the Gradon's Guide to Grapefruit Interactions (Adobe PDF file), or Grapefruit Drug Interactions Website.

Additionally, the research indicates a physiological link between grapefruit and insulin, as it relates to weight management. The researchers speculate that the chemical properties of grapefruit reduce insulin levels and encourage weight loss.

The importance of this link lies with the hormone's weight management function. While not its primary function, insulin assists with the regulation of fat metabolism. Therefore, the smaller the insulin spike after a meal, the more efficiently the body processes food for use as energy and the less it's stored as fat in the body. Grapefruit may possess unique chemical properties that reduce insulin levels which promotes weight loss.

Obesity continues to plague the American public and the health system. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, 64 percent of U.S. adults are considered overweight or obese. Overweight or obese people stand a greater likelihood of developing life-altering and/or life-threatening illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, arthritis, liver problems, and many others.

"Our study shows grapefruit can play a vital role in overall health and wellness, and in battling America's ever-growing obesity epidemic," stated Dr. Fujioka. "Whether it's the properties of grapefruit or its ability to satiate appetites, grapefruit appeared to help with weight loss and decreased insulin levels leading to better health. It's good the 'Grapefruit Diet' never lost its popularity among the public."

The study linking grapefruit and grapefruit juice consumption to weight loss continues to broaden the health benefits associated with this citrus product.

THYROID PATIENTS: SPECIFIC WEIGHT LOSS HELP FOR THYROID PATIENTS / THYROID DIET INFORMATION

DIET REVIEWS FROM THYROID PATIENTS THYROID DIET SUPPORT

About Mary Shomon | Thyroid Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Photo: clipart.com

Comments
May 12, 2006 at 1:28 am
(1) Miles says:

I started making fresh squeezed Grapefruit juice with Splenda as an alternative to my Pepsi intact.
In 1 month of switching from Pepsi and eliminating junk food and consuming 3-4 grapefruits a day … I have lost 18 pounds!!! I just stumbled across this site without any knowledge of it being a weightloss enhancer. Cool Stuff. I have no desire to drink Pepsi… but Ice cold grapefruit juice is very refreshing. I’m eating 3 good meals a day and when I want a snack I’ve been having a glass of grapefruit juice! I guess I stumbled upon something… and this sites information is right on!!

May 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm
(2) Naturopathic Med student says:

Miles

Did it occur to you that perhaps it had little or nothing to do with grapefruit and more to do with cutting all the junk, Pepsi and eating 3 “good meals” a day?? Nothing in the published literature explains the mechanism of grapefruit causing lipolysis (fat breakdown). If you substituted another fruit that was high in water content and fibre, you would have probably gotten the exact results you did….come one people get educated!

May 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(3) dora says:

Really talk about being educated you don’t even know how to spell fiber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 6, 2011 at 3:30 am
(4) whyB- says:

I would not fuss about fiber vs fibre but I do wonder about “…come ONE…”?

Leaving all that aside, and taking only the + advice to ‘get educated’, as the song goes, “take a look in the mirror and make a change”. In other words, start with yourself. Educate yourself and accept that a lot of it is in the mind, so if the person feels and thinks that the grapefruit helps, then it does!
Why not be encouraging and supportive?

October 8, 2011 at 9:06 pm
(5) Peter says:

Miles

I believe its important to note that there is an enzyme within grapefruit that is known for fat burning . Its also not acidic and turns alkaline once it is eaten .

pl

November 27, 2011 at 7:45 am
(6) LC says:

Why are you such a negative and mean person,why can’t you be happy for them,i am and i am willing to try it.

October 6, 2011 at 9:35 am
(7) aowgdwhoym says:

nnjyauizspje, mjqllqlami

October 25, 2007 at 9:51 am
(8) lizard says:

January 28, 2008 at 7:06 pm
(9) wondering says:

ok, so i heard about grapefruit diets but i can’t seem to find out how much grapefruit juice i should drink each day…and how much weight i should lose from it…can anyone help me

February 16, 2008 at 10:21 am
(10) Alan Armour says:

I started drinking grapefruit juice every morning about a month ago and ive lost 20 lbs without changing anything about my diet. I dont do anything but drink it and loose weight!

April 30, 2008 at 7:50 pm
(11) Robin Henderson says:

I was diagnosed with Grave’s disease in 1996, and after the radioactive iodine treatment, I have been on levothyroxine ever since. I don’t seem to do as good on that as I did the synthroid,but for the last nine months, I have eaten three grapefruits a day, and it has been a blessing!!!!! I keep my weight in check, and have more energy than I have had in years. No one will ever convince me that grapefruit is not a “wonder food.”

May 14, 2008 at 1:55 pm
(12) Mary says:

But aren’t there numerous warnings about how grapefruit affects other
medications such as cholesterol lowering drugs and blood pressure drugs?

May 21, 2008 at 10:42 pm
(13) sarah says:

Yes – there are many warnings, and you should always check what medications you take before you eat lots of grapefruit. But for people not on these medications (and even those who are – just check with your doctor first) – grapefruit is amazing. And it seems to be an acquired taste. I didn’t love it at first, but after 3-4 days I found I was craving grapefruit juice. Then I would have one glass or one grapefruit and be satisfied until my next meal – no random grazing on food throughout the day!

June 11, 2008 at 9:37 am
(14) Inquisitive Ian says:

There is a study linking daily grapefruit intake to increased chance (30%) of breast cancer in post menopausal women. Of course there will probably be a study saying it fights off some other cancer soon.

August 15, 2008 at 11:49 am
(15) foluso (nigeria) says:

i want to believe that this grapefruits will work.i will try it in the next one month

September 9, 2008 at 2:45 pm
(16) carlaaa says:

this diet is stupid and doesnt work!!!!

November 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm
(17) Angela says:

Why are you fat people always so angry ? (Just Wondering)

September 9, 2008 at 2:47 pm
(18) danielle says:

so i tried this diet.. and i didnt think it was going to work..
i stuffed my face and ate fried and bad food.. but i still lost 100 pounds in 9 days!!!!!! it was amazing!

May 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm
(19) Shelia says:

Danielle, that was so so so funny. I ate fried foods, gum drops, lollipops, candy, and even ate sugar with a spoon, then I would wash it all down with you guessed…grapefruits. This amazing fruits saved my marriage and made me more popular at work.Last week, I was doing eighty
in a school zone. The cop did not stop me when I revealed my grapefruit. This fruit changed my life.

May 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm
(20) Shelia says:

June 3, 2011 at 11:46 pm
(21) Tanesha says:

didu really lose 100 lbs or r u tryna b funny? IF so what all did u eat and drink to lose weight?

July 17, 2011 at 9:43 pm
(22) Tanesha's Brain says:

I am Tanesha’s brain. I apologize for her last post. I was on vacation.

November 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm
(23) Juicy says:

I really dont believe it. Did you really lose 100 pounds in 9 days? I’m going to start this “grapefruit diet” on Monday and I will let you know how well it works for me.

September 19, 2008 at 11:36 am
(24) Mary G says:

Um, Danielle, do you mean you lost 10 pounds in 9 days or are you poking fun at the article?

September 19, 2008 at 11:47 am
(25) Mary G says:

Please be aware that grape fruits or juice increases your risk for kidney stones. I witnessed this first hand when my father drank a glass of grape fruit juice in the morning for weight loss (it worked), ended up in the emergency room, and had immediate surgery to remove several kidney stones. The doctors attributed the kidney stones to the grape fruit juice.

October 29, 2008 at 5:55 pm
(26) Kemi says:

I started taking grapes and grapefruit juice about a week ago and I’ve stopped graving cola and don’t eat so much. I don’t wake up with pains in my feet any longer and I feel much lighter. I’ll keep you posted as I progress.

November 16, 2008 at 3:49 am
(27) Rabbi Slappy Schmenkmann says:

The dirty jews took my grapefruits.

January 12, 2009 at 5:24 pm
(28) Lydia says:

I am diabetic and need to lose about 30 pounds. I think I can adjust this to help me. I have heard so much about this diet and grapefruits, being low on the gylcemic idex can’t hurt me, neither can the fruits and veggies and small portions of meat. Wish me luck.

January 13, 2009 at 6:57 am
(29) Fan says:

I only started researching the properties of grapefruit after I started eating one before my breakfast every day and began noticing that I didn’t feel hungry or crave carbohydrates. I had heard of the grapefruit diet but I thought it had been dismissed, so I was surprised by my personal experience that I felt less like eating. I have told all my friends and no one believes me. This works for me. Perhaps it could for others also.

January 26, 2009 at 7:12 pm
(30) Doureen says:

It works! I have lost a lot of weight. Eat “healthy” &eat at least 3 a day. My cousin went from size 18 to 6 just eating grapefruits,drinking 64oz of water & walking. The fruit is much healthier than drinking the juice. I eat 3-4 grapefruits a day, lots of water and for those like me taking blood pressure meds, my dr. said take meds in morning & safe to eat grapefruit 2hrs after. I then eat my grapefruit throughout day.

January 31, 2009 at 11:46 am
(31) heloris says:

I HAVE LOST 44LBS DRINKING GRAPEFRUIT JUICE EACH NIGHT BEFORE BED 8OZ. ITS WORKS I’M SO HAPPY. PEOPLE PLEASE TRY IT IT REALLY WORKS

February 3, 2009 at 1:20 pm
(32) MSCARP says:

I do believe that their is definitely a correlation between weight loss and grapefruit juice. During the christmas holidays, I didn’t gain any weight but after the holidays and when I had in-laws in town visiting for 3 days, I realized that I had put on 6 lbs in just 3 days! I didn’t understand how in such short time so I drank grapefruit juice every morning before I started my diet and within a few days, the 6lbs were gone.

February 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm
(33) mg says:

Regardless of the idiots on here who poke fun at the article, I am a professional male and used grapefruit as part of a healthy diet and workout plan, and lost 23lbs from July to October 2007. I have maintained the weight loss and have used the grapefuit to recover the lost weight when it has come back, mainly to my lack of watching my diet on occasion. It is true!

February 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm
(34) Giselle says:

Hello, I was 320 back in February 2006 and by July 13th 2006 I had gone down to 212 pounds doing the grapefruit diet. I strongly recommend it. I gained some weight back but I’m starting again this Wednesday and I will let you know how much I will lose. I weight now 240.

May 21, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(35) HELORIS says:

I WENT TO MY DR. I’M DOWN 20 MORE LBS

June 4, 2009 at 9:12 am
(36) Silly says:

I am going to try the Grapefruit diet today. I hope you all are right. I gained 20 lbs in 6 weeks and need to get that off pronto. I just turned 40 and I want to look my best. I’ve read all the blogs and there’s more positive than negative. I’ll keep you posted.

July 17, 2009 at 9:20 pm
(37) Kasey says:

I’m really interested to see if this works! I Hope so! I put on about 50 IBS after my father passed three years ago and I can’t seem to get it off. How much juice or fruit do any of you recommend a day?

July 20, 2009 at 11:30 am
(38) Mary says:

I started the diet yesterday and im hoping it will work for me, so far so good. I need to lose about 60 lbs. I weighed in at 206. I have already found that im not hungry after meals and about every 5 hrs i start getting hungry again. I eat 1/2 grapefruit 2 eggs and 2 slices of bacon for breakfast at about 7 am. At noon i drink 8 oz of grapefruit juice, eat tuna or other meat and a salad with dressing. And again at about 5 pm i drink 8 oz of the juice, eat the recomended meats, and vegetables and am full. i drink 8 oz of skim milk or tomato juice as a night time snack but no later than 7 pm and am good til the next morning. i stay away from bread, starches, potatoes, white onions, etc. Just type in grapefruit diet on google and it should direct you to the lists of foods allowed and not allowed. thats what i done. you may have to search a few minutes to find it.

July 26, 2009 at 11:11 pm
(39) Luci says:

Grapefruit is great when it is a part of a well rounded, healthy diet and exercise plan. If you truly want to lose weight and keep it off, it’s a lifestyle change.

August 25, 2009 at 9:50 am
(40) HELORIS says:

I HAVE LOST 80 LBS. I TOLD A FRIEND ABOUT THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET SHE DIDN’T BELIEVE ME AT FIRST NOW SHE’S DOWN 35ILS.

September 5, 2009 at 8:34 pm
(41) Julia says:

Here is the plan. Half a grape fruit mixed with half a cup of Grape juice. Perfect I lost 7lbs in one week!!! I continued to eat all my same food just not too much. You can do it. Seriously. juast squeeze half of a grapefriut into a half a glass of any grape juice from the store.!!

November 22, 2009 at 1:57 pm
(42) susan says:

Hi Heloris I have been reading your post could you please tell me if you were juicing your own grapefruit or buying 100% juice.

December 2, 2009 at 1:19 pm
(43) Mrs. Henry says:

I just happened upon the grapefruit diet because I made the commitment to only drink 100% fruit juices and no more sodas. I’ve been drinking 4 servings per day of grapefruit juice and really am less hungry than before. In one week I have lost 3lbs! I’m 5’7 and MY own personal weight target is 150lbs. I am 195lbs so wish me luck!

December 18, 2009 at 9:11 pm
(44) Abi says:

I am interesting to read on website abt grapefruit juice can works on weight loss. I want to try to take grapefruit but i want to know how much day i need to take it? Can take grapefruit juice with 3 good meal a day? I really want to loss weight. Thanks

January 3, 2010 at 10:08 pm
(45) amazed tim says:

i have been drinking grapefruit juice for 4 months and have lost about 30lbs. i didn’t do it for weight loss, i just love grapefruit juice. i was excited to lose weight but actually thought i was ill. lol my wife told me there was a grapefruit juice diet and thats what did it. what a pleasant suprise!!!

January 4, 2010 at 8:17 pm
(46) nervousnelly says:

I ate grapefruits when I was on weight watchers and it helped tremendously..but, I got off weight watchers because alot of the premade meals are high in sodium..so now, i am going to begin to eat grapefruits and other fruits/vegetables for at least 3-4 times per day..the fruit works better than the juice…good luck everyone!

January 11, 2010 at 2:53 pm
(47) KIM says:

Hi everyone! First, I agree that most of the comments are positive and really helpful….the few that are making fun of us looking for a little help should try to be kind and understanding to those of us who need a little support.
I am leaving a comment mainly to make myself accountable and document my progress. I am a 43 year old female, 5’61/2″ tall and medium frame. I currently weigh 151.6. My goal is to get under 140. I workout for an hour twice a week and am pretty active in daily life (job, kids, running around, etc). I however do not eat very healthy. The only vegetables I like to eat are iceberg lettuce and corn. (I know neither are all that good for you) I am going to add in 3-4 servings of grapefruit (fruit and juice) everyday and cut down on portions with trying to stay under 1200 calories/day. Any encouragement and tips as to when to eat/drink the juice would be helpful (with meals, before meals, when throughout the day). Thanks for allowing me to use this as a form of diary….when you write something down you tend to make more of a commitment. Have a GREAT Day!

January 28, 2010 at 3:46 am
(48) SBisME says:

I’ve read many of the post and I do agree that there is many more positive stories than negative. I’m just a few days past my 24th bday and need to lose a tremendous amount of wait. I actually was eating a grapefruit and thought about looking up something about grapefruits and found this. Im going to add them to my daily diet. I pray it works well for me and for those who are trying to lose weight. Thanks, will be back soon!

February 23, 2010 at 7:20 am
(49) leighgirl says:

In moving to euorpe and spending less to live on I have found that I eat more now. I eat like normal people finally and it shows. Sadly I went from 105lbs to 118lbs in my year here. I started on grapefruit as a daily breakfast since I knew it was a help in weight loss. Sadly if I do not start skating often or running and working out daily it will not help me so much. It however has helped me not gain more and still be able to eat 2 or 3 times a day.
I am told by my husband it is a myth but, I know it works in my mind so lets hope i can make it work. I decided to devote part of my site to my work out and weight loss this summer like a documentary on it. I was hoping to get permission to add a link here if the webmaster is ok with that. Sorry my pages are a bit odd but, in ways I just have too much stuff I do is all.

March 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm
(50) toffee says:

i started drinking gradpefruit juice before meal for a week now, havent lost any weight yet, but i am still gonna continue. i am also taking apple cider vinegar supplements, which claim to help with weight loss. hoping to see some results :(

March 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm
(51) suzan says:

nice article about grapefruit…very informative and beneficial for me…thx

March 4, 2010 at 1:31 am
(52) Ginger says:

Once before, I lost 40 lbs in 3 months with the Grapefruit Diet.( jGrapefruit juice or Grapefruit with every meal). It was a DELICIOUS way to loose weight and gain energy. Over the years my weight has crept back up, and I am about to try the diet again,I am also anxious to try the Grape.Grapefruit mix. I can’t wait…

March 16, 2010 at 11:06 am
(53) Heloris says:

Susan buy the grapefruit juice that say no sugar added 100% juice. 8 oz before bed I have lost over 100 lbs.

March 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(54) Kevin says:

Hi I’m an ambulance officer and do a lot of sitting around, so the weight has been packing on, I’m 5′ 51/2 or 165cm. am 115cm around the waist and always feeling bloated weather i eat a large meal or small meal. Am trying the grapefruit diet now I am currently 83.3kg or 13st. I intend to drop to around the 70kg mark …. wish me luck will keep you posted.

March 27, 2010 at 8:50 am
(55) Josh says:

A nice breakfast in the morning is 1 egg fried in 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil(no butter) on 2 slices of whole grain bread with a slice of turkey and a slice of swiss cheese (and season it with black pepper garlic powder and a dash of salt which is optional of course). And cut open a grapefruit but always pace the rate at which you consume food. Take small bites and don’t constantly shovel the food into your mouth without a break unless it’s grapefruit then you can go nuts.

March 31, 2010 at 2:00 pm
(56) Florencia says:

I started the grapefruit diet about 2 weeks ago and lost about 7 lbs already. I feel great and have a lot of energy. Thanks to this I am losing most of baby fat already and I love it!

April 2, 2010 at 9:21 pm
(57) emory says:

I am 17 yrs old and weigh about 150 lbs at 5’3”.
i ate a large grapefruit yesterday before bed and lost 2 pounds. I looked up grapefruit on google and found this site. I ate 3 grapefruits today. Hope it works again.

April 10, 2010 at 2:23 am
(58) Natalija says:

Hello everybody,

i dont know about grapefruit diet, but i started squeezing one grapefruit and one orange each day and one grapefruit each evening…i hope its going to work for my weight loss. i ve been doing this for three days and i lost some appetite (which is good since i m always hungry)

i prefer grapefruit juice to eating grapefruit since its more difficult to peel this fruit and more easy to just drink it :) i hope i dont lose much of the nutritients by doing this

April 19, 2010 at 9:24 am
(59) Heather says:

The one scary thing about the Grapefruit Diet is that its only 850 calories a day (with chicken-bacon and egg beaters – add about 200 cals more if you are eating the “real” thing) and since a grown woman should not eat less than 1200 calories a day for proper organ functioning (men 1500), of course you’ll loose weight (at my height and weight I burn 1900 calories a day at a desk job BEFORE working out, about 2200 daily) but at what cost to your metabolism and body? That being said, I still wanted to be a guinea pig and try this. I’m 5’8, 136 lbs so just looking to loose 5lbs or so. I work out with Turbo Jam 6x week (have been for 3 years now). The lack of fibre (I normally eat 1 cup of all-bran a day since I love it) may not be good on my system and may make me uncomfortable and bloated but we’ll see.

* Here is how I calculated the calories for the day. http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
Good website and forums if you need info on proper ways to loose weight. It does get catty though sometimes so watch out for angry hungry big ladies, LOL! Jokes!

May 23, 2010 at 7:50 am
(60) Rhea says:

I think the Grapefruit “Diet” is just that, Heather. A diet in quotation marks. You’re not supposed to eat ONLY grapefruit, you’re supposed to eat a couple servings of grapefruit with your typical foods. Grapefruit will supposedly curb your appetite, and engage your body into weight loss. I think this is actually a reasonable method to reasonable weight loss. No extreme diet is going to be good for you, especially for any extended period of time. (Think of the brain fog people experience with the Atkin’s Diet due to depriving the brain of essential sugars found in starch).

So the way I look at it, this article is suggesting that we supplement what we usually do with some grapefruit to stimulate weight loss. Diets that tell you to eat only one thing are BAD FOR YOU.

Also, miracle diets are not typically going to make you lose lots of weight really quickly (and be able to keep it off) if you don’t match it up with some activity. Human bodies are so good at adjusting to what we fuel them with.

June 9, 2010 at 10:49 am
(61) Desperatetoloose says:

I had a hysterectomy about seven years ago and my weight has climbed by 30 pounds since. I have tried so many diets and dieting advise I don’t even listen anymore. I love pink grapefuit and would love to try this diet. Only problem is that oranges and grapefruits give me mouth ulcers. Is there any way to avoid the ulcers?

August 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm
(62) Kathleen says:

I had a hysterectomy myself and my weight went from 140 to 208. I have successfully lost 43 pounds and I plan to lose 34 more pounds to get my weight to 130. I drink lots of fluids, load up on the vegetables and fruits and 3 to 4 oz of lean meat daily (Fish, Turkey and Chicken). Gave up soda or any drinks that have sugar.
I have cut down on breads, any heavy starches. I get a lot of exercise. I started light weight lifting to start toning and getting definition in my arms, abs and legs. I would love to get my weight to about 130 which was my high school weight. I am 5 foot 6 and I would say I am medium built and I have to say I feel so healthy and energetic. If you would like to keep in touch please write me back. Successfullydoingit.

June 12, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(63) LSP says:

I stumbled upon the benefits of grapefruit juice by accident. I drink a lot of juices and one day added Simply grapefruit juice to my diet. I started noticing that one or two glasses per day gave me the energy and focus I used to have. I stopped drinking it for a couple of months and the difference was clear. It seems to burn fat also. I’m on levothyroxine and I didn’t even know that grapefruit juice was beneficial to those with thyroid disease until I read this article. I swear by it.

June 25, 2010 at 10:03 am
(64) Dr Chemesov says:

GrapeFruit on an empty stomech is the best…
especially for people who have A.D.D plus grapefruit
helps with impotence, and memory loss.

July 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm
(65) Aaron says:

I stumbled on the grapefruit juice diet on the internet. In starting it I found that I wasn’t that hungry. Bottom line it helped me learn new eating habits and as I lost weight I was more motivated to exercise. I have lost 70 lbs in 3 1/2 months and feel great.

July 27, 2010 at 12:13 am
(66) Heather says:

I was wondering does it matter what kind of grapefruit juice (red, white) or as long as it’s no sugar added 100%?

July 27, 2010 at 12:15 am
(67) Heather says:

does it matter what kind of grapefruit juice you drink (red, white) or as long as it’d no sugar added 100% grapefruit juice?

August 4, 2010 at 12:49 pm
(68) Becky says:

Heather, the color of grapefruit hasn’t mattered for me. I am in my 50′s and tried the GF Diet the first time at age 15. I wasn’t extremely overweight, and don’t remember the exact numbers, but I do know I lost the ‘advertised” 10 lbs in 10 days and I was hooked!

I used white grapefruit back then, 1/2 before each meal, and I totally skinned them, nothing but the fruit pulp inside every touched my lips. And I never had juice, just the fruit. I probably lost 25 lbs in a couple months. I continued my junior and senior years by simply eating a whole grapefruit for lunch every day. Nothing else, and no grapefruit at any other time. I kept that weight off for years, until I got pregnant in my late 20′s.

I have gained weight again over the years and tried ever diet you can imagine, but I just decided to go back to what worked. I’m on day three of the GFD, and already this morning, I notice my ankles are swelling as they normally do and I am putting a lot of urine out of my body.

This time, I am drinking the ruby red GF juice, but I think I may go back to the fruit. There is something about peeling it and eating it section by section that I recall enjoying.

Good luck

August 26, 2010 at 10:19 am
(69) Myreya says:

The GFD really really works!!!! I started 4 days ago and my pants fit loose around my butt and legs area. Lets see if my waist gets thinner. Will keep you posted….

September 5, 2010 at 1:13 am
(70) Debbie says:

Hello I have been dedicated to drinking 100% grapefruit juice 3 times a day for 3 months and I lost 15 lbs. I love drinking grapefruit juice it has been a year since I started drinking the grapefruit juice and I have not gained my weight back yet and I eat what ever I want. It really works it keeps the weight gaining controlled. To everyone out there dont give up keep drinking the 100% grapefruit juice and you will see the lbs melt away.

September 9, 2010 at 3:12 pm
(71) Melanie Tam says:

I tried eating grapefruit for a week. Basically half a grapefruit a day for breakfast along with other foods and i lost 5 pounds within a week.

September 27, 2010 at 3:38 am
(72) Chaz says:

This is my 4th day on the grapefruit diet. I weighed in at 269 pounds at 6’3″ and I’m now 266 pounds. For someone who HATES grapefruit juice, I thought twice about it. I ran across some unsweetened WHITE GRAPEFRUIT JUICE in the grocery store thinking if I’m going to do this, then this should be the way to go. It’s delicious. I drink 8 ounces 3 times a day with my meals. I know it’s only been 4 days but I feel like I have more energy than I did before I started it. I will report back with my progress. My goal is to lose 50 pounds. I’ll have to pray about that :-)

September 28, 2010 at 9:20 am
(73) cindy says:

hi looking for help. Years ago I tried a diet with 1 grapefruit and 2 eggs with black coffee every morning for 14 days. I remember there was a lot of boil eggs and spinach as well. Does anybody by chance happen to know of the diet I’m referring to and if so where I can find it again.
Thanks

February 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm
(74) Bob Bowler says:

i think you might be talking about the scarsdale [not sure of spelling]

March 7, 2011 at 2:31 am
(75) trying to help says:

im pretty sure you mean the danish diet

April 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm
(76) jamie says:

Drink sugar free grape fruit juice with this diet. Eat 1 egg in the morning 2 pieces of bacon,for lunch spinach salad with any meat you want however much u want in it and green onion or bell pepper and fat free dressing in the salad and for dinner any meat u want and a green vegetable .U cant use butter.Do this every 12 days and come off for 2 days and eat what u want then go back on it. keep repeating the pattern of doing this . do for 40 days u can lose up 2 50 lbs. It’s called the open heart surgery diet my dad told me about it and he lost 50 lbs. in 40 days.This is a diet doctors give to obese people to lose weight before they get open heart surgery. Today is my first day of doing this.

May 13, 2011 at 11:58 am
(77) faysie says:

I also used that eating plan several times years ago, and recently thought about trying it again. I found it online when I googled ‘The Grapefruit Diet’. Variations are also found under the “Mayo Cliinic Diet’.

October 2, 2010 at 1:34 pm
(78) mary says:

i have got hormone problem due to my hormone imbalance i keep on gaining my weight i have tried so many diets also but is useless.
will grapr fruit juice work ?

October 5, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(79) grafefruit consumer says:

Found a great way to eat grapefruit without all the hassle. Look in your local produce section for a jar of grapefruit. The one I found has 10 grapefruits already peeled. This was great or me. I fill one small dish with fruit amd juice and I’m in heaven. On my second jar in two weeks lost 10lbs and counting.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!!

October 23, 2010 at 5:56 am
(80) amazed1988 says:

hi everyone! as of this date, i hav bought 2 grapefruits this morning, and i m going to start the GFD tomorrow. i will get back to u in 3 weeks time and tell everyone if it works. i hope it does coz i really need that :)

November 10, 2010 at 11:57 am
(81) Realname says:

i started this diet on 11/01/10 and today is 11/10/10 and i have lost 7 pounds. I does work if you stick to the plan and are very commited.

November 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm
(82) itworkswonders says:

I lost 50 pounds in 2 months. I need to lose 100 more. I will keep in touch.

November 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm
(83) realname says:

Great job itworkswonders i lost about 11 pounds so far. i will also be back in two weeks or so post results.

good luck

November 19, 2010 at 10:39 am
(84) Cceclau says:

I am 20 pounds over my wg. I just started the diet today will keep u informed. Good luck.

November 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm
(85) Amy says:

I just started a weight loss program that features quite a lot of grapefruit, and I have to say, if I didn’t pour boatloads of Splenda on those grapefruit halves they’d probably taste like sour crap… WITH the Splenda however they’re delicious, so I’ve got not complaints yet.

Word of warning, though: if you don’t have regular bowel movements usually and you start eating a lot of grapefruit, be prepared for a bit of a rebellion from you digestive system as it adjusts.

November 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm
(86) Katerina says:

I am 30, 5’8, 136lbs, and want to be 128-130 (my prepregnancy weight). I started 2 days ago, and already feel “lighter”. I eat everything and drink 2 glasses of juice + 1 full grapefruit. It looks like it really works!!! YEY! And I love it, it tastes great!

November 30, 2010 at 6:26 pm
(87) rach says:

I started the grapefruit diet 1 week ago and have lost 7 pounds already i have 4 and a half stones to lose. willl keep you posted so be encouraged.

December 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm
(88) Aleshia says:

Ok so im about to start the diet today. I hope that it really works well for me. What kind of grapefruit juice doyou suppose to use????

January 3, 2011 at 9:33 am
(89) Iman says:

The grapefruit diet works but I don’t think it should be eaten or drunk on an empty stomach as grapefruit can be acidic. Lime juice works too

January 7, 2011 at 10:01 am
(90) Dana says:

I think what everyone should pay attention to here is not the diet itself (it doesn’t seem very healthy to me) but instead, simply add grapefruit or grapefruit juice to every meal to get the benefits of the fruit. Diets never work, but as long as you eat healthy, eat lots of grapefruit, and exercise, I think you will see results. I started eating grapefruit at meals and while the results are not dramatic, I do look and feel better. I have also read that grapefruit before bedtime helps you sleep better. Additionally, I think that if you aren’t finding that eating grapefruit is helping you, this may not be the best solution for your own metabolism, as all of our metabolisms differ. So try another option, such as apple cider vinegar, until you find a solution that works best for you.

January 7, 2011 at 10:25 am
(91) Angels says:

I am hitting the store tomrro to buy grapefruit, an grapefuit juice. I am 30 yrs old, 5′ 5″, and 160 lbs. I started running 2 miles a day, 3-4 times a week about 9 days ago….am gonna add the grapefruit to my current diet…will be back nxt friday to post my progress in one week=))))

January 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm
(92) Kashi says:

I will be starting it tomorrow and will see if it helps me in loosing weight…till now no diet helped me loosing weight…not even GM diet :(

January 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(93) SKMinnesota says:

I think this idea of a diet is great, but only when it is with a more realistic diet or healthier way of eating such as Weight Watchers. I started Weight Watchers on the new PointsPlus program a few weeks ago, and I’ve already lost almost 9 pounds. Since grapefruit is zero points, I now eat about 3 large grapefruits per day, and I agree with many people, I feel a lot less hungry. The grapefruit diet I think is an excellent tool in helping a person when they are trying to eat healthier in general when on another type of diet. Grapefruit alone just helps as a great filler for in between meals. I have been on Weight Watchers for a few weeks now, I get 58 points a day, and I rarely come close to using up all my points because I have grapefruit to aid in keeping me full between meals! So, I’m not saying Weight Watchers is better than the Grapefruit Diet, I just think they work well together!

January 30, 2011 at 11:57 pm
(94) smck says:

how can a weight watcher’s meal, overly processed, frozen, and delivered in a cardboard box, be healthier than a luscious, beautiful, living fruit?

health comes from nature, not a cardboard box!

January 26, 2011 at 6:56 pm
(95) Sana says:

Hi Guys,

Some of the comments are really helpful and encourage me to loose weight with grapefruit. I have started this diet and I hope I get results wut you guys have acheived. Will keep you posted. Any questions I can answer

February 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm
(96) jencolem says:

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the comments that were left and I am definitely going to try the grapefruit diet. I am 30 years old with four boys and I can’t stand my body I am 5’7 and weigh 215 pounds my average weight is suppose to be 145. Im just hoping to lose about 60 pounds that would be great for me. I am starting in the morning and will keep you posted!!!!!

February 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm
(97) jenai says:

Hey guys I was reading the comments on grapefruit juice and Im going to give it a try. I am 30 years old and over weight I should weigh about 145 for my height and weigh 215 which is way over. Im starting tonight and will keep you posted!!!!

February 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(98) kiwifruit says:

Hello. I am 29 and about 40lbs over weight. Growing up Id never been over weight but since I had my first child 5 years ago I never took the time to get back to a healthy weight before baby number two (2008) and baby three who came in Sept of last year, came along. Since Ive never dieted or been terribly overweight I didnt know how to approach this whole thing, all I knew was that I was always tired and feeling down about myself. Anyway my hubby and I both decided we needed to make lifestyle changes such as eating healthy and being more active. Its only day one fore me but so far Ive already been jogging, I had my breakfast which included half a grapefruit and feel awesome! I came upon this site as I was curious about the benefits (if any) GF might have. I hope it does for me what it has done for others!! I will have to keep at it though in order to find out. Wish me luck :-)

February 15, 2011 at 6:42 pm
(99) lulu says:

i am wondering how much grapefruit juice you are suppose to consume a day so i can start this diet?????

February 19, 2011 at 12:09 am
(100) ianwoof says:

I lost 17pounds in 2 months eating 2-3 grapefruits a day with my meals. I eat the pink ones but im sure the white ones are better, but they are harder to find and more expensive. I also drink pepsi max now instead of regular pepsi, im sure that helps too. The mayo clinic diet focuses on grapefruit with every meal and its a high protien low carb diet like atkins just with grapefruits added.

March 7, 2011 at 2:45 am
(101) fat and sad says:

Im in college and i used to be 125. sadly i did a lot of studying and no working out which led to me now being 160 /:
i am going to try this and hope it works….
so do i just eat 1 grapefruit before every meal? can i use it as my breakfast alone then eat salad for lunch with one and eggs for dinner with one more?
should that work?
well i hope so…

March 11, 2011 at 10:04 am
(102) danjelle says:

the best diet i ever tried was one that i kind of made up from a combination of atkins and south beach. i lost about 60 pounds in 3 months. first no RICE, BREAD, PASTA, POTATO, OR SUGAR!!!! i ate bacon an fried eggs for breakfast. i had a ginormous plate of raw cauliflower, celery and broccoli with dip (not low fat but low carb 1-2 per serving) along with a couple slices of deli meat and a land o lakes cheese wedge. then at dinner i had some meat or fish baked broiled or poached and as much cooked veggies as i wanted. in between meals i ate raw almonds. i drank diet pepsi or crystal light and water. don`t ever let yourself get hungry! keep a can of almonds in your car. get on the treadmill or walk for 45 minutes a day! i felt like the incredible shrinking woman!

March 9, 2011 at 6:06 pm
(103) kecole says:

I just started the GFD today. I would like to know if you can add crystal light packs to your water and also can you eat grapefruits or dink grapefruit juice in between meals. Thanks for you help

March 11, 2011 at 10:18 am
(104) danjelle says:

I didn`t know about this site until an hour ago. I did buy a 18 pound bag of grapefruit about 2 weeks ago. i usually eat mcdonald`s for breakfast so i thought it would be a nice change and it is! i usually eat breakfast and then nibble on everything else in sight. now i peel my grapefruit and then peel each wedge and eat only the flesh. its very refreshing. it has allowed me to eat only my 3 squares. i don`t know if i have lost weight, but i feel better! i still eat the mcdonald`s breakfast its the mcmuffin meal, its only 400 calories and convenient!

March 14, 2011 at 11:25 am
(105) Sarah C says:

I’ve just started on thyroxine after feeling crappy and tired for months! The weighr has been creeping on too! I love grapefruit and I’m gonna give this diet a go. Probably should give up the beers too?!
Thanks for all your advice and SENSIBLE comments people, I’ll keep in touch. X

March 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm
(106) ListenToMe says:

It’s no secret! Take it from someone who can drop pounds easily. If you want to lose weight then stop eating foods that are made by MAN. Next time you decide to put something in your stomach ask yourself did *Nature make this or MAN if your answere is MAN stay away from it! Eat foods that naturally occur in nature and stay away from processed foods and beverages it’s that simple.

Eat veggies, real butter, olive oil, sweet potatos, stick to eating natural sugars in fruits and stay away from processed foods with sugar and foods that breadown into sugar like bread, rice, pasta. Drink water and green tea, coffee , spices , stick to lean meats like chicken breast, turkey, fish… If you don’t excercise at all then you will lose weight SLOWLY if you stick to these rules. It’s better to excercise because it makes you NOT hungry and think healthy plus burns calories trust me if you listen to me you can lose 50 pounds in 2 months without using any diets or PILLS you want this all to be natural.. to that my friend visit your local farmers market and pick up fresh veggies and fruits instead of going to MCDONALDS and you will become very healthy. Listen to me and you will succeed! Best wishes to you all

April 23, 2011 at 6:27 pm
(107) Jin says:

nice idea. i will do that from now on :)

March 22, 2011 at 6:44 pm
(108) heather says:

In the study here, it looks like they used 1/2 grapefruit with every meal…? Does anyone know if the grapefruit should be taken BEFORE you have the rest of the meal or does that matter? And is 1/2 graprefruit with every meal enough for weight loss? Thanks!

April 3, 2011 at 3:45 am
(109) steven says:

I’m 28-years-old, 6-00, and in January, 2011 I weighed 255 pounds. As of today, I weigh 229 pounds. I was not aware of the benefits of grapefruit, but have always enjoyed them. I eat them whole, like an orange, without any sweetners.

I’ve also given up all soda and drink only water. My diet consist of whole grain breads and rice, turkey meat, white chicken breast (baked), low-fat yogurt, grapefruit, bananas.

It’s pretty bland, but I’m going for a lifestyle change, and not just weight loss.

My exercise was pretty non-existent up to mid-March. Now that the weather is getting better, I’ve been playing basketball for about 6 hours a week.

April 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm
(110) Stephanie says:

I started the grapefruit diet on 4/11/11. So far I have lost 3 lbs. I haven’t been drinking all the water that the diet says to drink. I really need to start drinking it. I need to lose at least 100 lbs to feel good. I’d like to lose 150. I want to lose weight so I can ovulate on my own so that I can have a baby! I love hearing success stories of people who have tried this diet!

April 15, 2011 at 2:58 am
(111) Tee says:

I started the GFD today, and did good I love the grapefruit. I did have a craving for chocolate but I stayed strong and didnt eat it..i usually always cheat on my diets but im commited this time because im only 23 im 180pds and 5’4 and I had a baby 18 months ago an need to get back into shape

May 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm
(112) sparkle ramdatt says:

ok so grapefruit juice has its side effects like kidney stones and lowering blood pressure 2 low sum times but hey it works amazingly if u wanna loose weight so try it trust me i knw i have had first hand experience and i lost 5 LBS IN 2WEEKS

June 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm
(113) paradiseforme says:

I don’t understand some of the sarcastic comments.What’s wrong with advocating more fruits in the diet!? This past week I decided to do change my lifestyle and eat less sugars and carbs also minimizing my dairy intake to just small amounts of shredded cheese.
The last time I did this I lost a decent amount of weight. This time I’ve added a fresh ruby red grapefruit with breakfast or just by itself in the mornig.Sometimes I will eat a half at night.From Thursday to Saturday I lost 5 pounds.

The research has been there for years not to mention all the positive results mentioned here.Science is a study, Gods wisdom is infinite and his creations are awesome his food is our medicine!!!!!!!!!!We will never get all the answers. Sometimes we know that it just works.If people can find even a pin head size of joy by adding grapefruits to their diet let them rejoyce.
Grapefruit is very cleansing to the lymphatic system ,a clean lymphatic system means less sludge in the body and a better metabolism.Just remember to drink alot of water ( 1.5 to liters) to flush the waste and the fats.
One more thing save the seeds wash them then blend them with some distilled water now you will have your own grapefruit seed extract a reliable natural antibiotic and virus killer.This extract leaves good bacteria intact and can be used as a daily tonic.

June 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(114) Darlene says:

Why would any one want to peel a grapefruit?Take a knife,cut it in half,and use a spoon.You can loosen the grapefruit with your knife from the flesh and the peeling.To really make it look appetizing,put a maraschino cherry in the middle or a spoon of cool whip.

July 6, 2011 at 9:50 pm
(115) Peter says:

It was interesting to discover that Grapefruits and Lemons are both alkalizing in the blood ( not acidic )and I drink both with water for the fat reduction benefits

July 19, 2011 at 9:03 am
(116) 2chelsea4 says:

According to Dr. Oz and Tim Ferris Ferriss that when you drink grapefruit juice you open up all of your receptors in the muscles so that the sugar goes into your muscles to become fuel rather than the sugar being deposited as fat around your belly. They also said that you have roughly one hour from when you eat junk food to counteract the “mistakes” you make on your diet by doing 60-120 sec. of squats and drinking grapefruit juice.

August 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm
(117) byrd says:

I have been working out for about 2 weeks and of course the first thing that I loose is my butt. I now weigh about 210 and I’m wanting to get down to at least 150. I’m only 5’0 tall so you know its heavy on me. I think I’m going to start this grapefruit diet today. I have really cut back starches and red meats and diary so I’m going to try this. I drink 1 2Liter of water every day and I have been keeping myself cleaned out so I will try this something has to work.

August 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm
(118) Stephanie says:

Interesting reading indeed.
Talking about Tim ferriss from the 4 hour body…I would just like to add that I have been on the slow-carb diet recommended in the book 4 hour body and it has changed my life significantly. I have lost 15 kg in 2 months by only eating healthy food and hardly any excercise. Now that I have lost so much weight I feel like exercising all the time, so the exercise bit came later. I have not tried the grapefruit diet and don’t need to but Should this comment help one person out there …then great! That is..if this grapefruit diet is not your cup of tea.

October 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm
(119) kathrine says:

Hi,
I am about 113pds, I haven’t tryed the grapefruit diet
but wish to start soon I wish to loose about 10 to20pds
in a month or two.Wish me luck!

October 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm
(120) kathrine says:

Hi,
I am about 113pds, I haven’t tryed the grapefruit diet
but wish to start soon I wish to loose about 10 to20pds
in a month or two.Wish me luck!

November 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm
(121) Juicy says:

I am 5’5 and a sexy 220 pounds and I am starting this “grapefruit diet” tomorrow so that I will be an even sexier 170 pounds hopefully when this diet is over. I will keep you posted on the results.

November 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm
(122) Angela says:

I’ve gained 50 lbs since starting my grape fruit diet. I eat 30 to 40 of them a day now and still can’t seem to loose any weight! I’ve tried to stop eating them, but I go into violent convulsions and sweat horrendously after only a day without one. PLEASE HELP!!!! The grapefruits are ruining my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 13, 2011 at 4:59 am
(123) jessica says:

I used to weight 130 back in 09 and now i weight 173 wvery since i gave birth….do youll think the grapefruit well help me lose weight….i want to look good for my husband…

December 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm
(124) Ruth says:

I agree, just be nice! Just because you are student does not mean you are educated. It means that you are student….in the learning process. I am with college level students, one in particular finishing his thesis for medical school. He would never never never treat anyone like that……grow up.

February 3, 2012 at 11:51 am
(125) Slick Nik says:

I have tried this diet in October 2011 and i also cheated and i lost 20lbs in 6 weeks. This diet works.

February 22, 2012 at 3:07 am
(126) mother of seven says:

guys i had 9 children and have a very big tummy. l started this grapefruit last week. l really need this diet.

February 24, 2012 at 3:29 am
(127) Wezzy says:

I just started my diet on 2/23/12 with the grapefruit diet.I weigh 298 and I am very over weight wish me luck I will keep in touch.

February 28, 2012 at 6:26 am
(128) joy says:

just started taking grape friut weight 170lb, would see my progress of weight loss by 2 month.

February 29, 2012 at 3:08 am
(129) EJ says:

Hi there,

Is anybody else concerned with the amount of eggs on the diet? On the plan it says 2 eggs (prepared any way) for breakfast each day. This seems like a lot and I worry about high cholesterol. Could we exchange it with something else that won’t spoil the effects required?

I’m on Day 3 of the 12 Day diet, and so far feel great! I’ve cut out my vice: chocolate, I’ve stopped all junk food, sodas, etc and only drink water or green tea. So far I’m using Grapefruit Juice before each of the 3 meals, but by next week aim to use real Grapefruit or juice too.

I’m feeling lighter, I’m sleeping well, I’m more energetic during the day, and don’t go hungry between meals. I haven’t returned to exercise yet due to an injury, but by next week will add exercise to the mix. It’s 5 days a week, 1 hour at a time, so I will maximise my weight loss.

I’ll return here after 12 days to post how it went :)

March 9, 2012 at 9:42 pm
(130) Tweety48 says:

My 26yr old son called me last week and told me to start drinking a glass of white grapefruit juice after every meal. I have lost 5lbs. in one week(20LBS TO GO) my diet has not changed. I still eat the same foods. I have struggled with my weigh for the past year, after an illness. I called him this morning to thank him. I AM AMAZED IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 12, 2012 at 1:48 pm
(131) Amber says:

@EJ, you could always use Egg Beaters for lower cholosteral. I had done this diet before as a starter diet and it has always worked..I lose 10lbs in 12 days and repeat the cycle at least twice just for a boost in weight loss, of course I walk/run on the treadmill or eplipitcal 4 miles a day 5 days a week!

April 26, 2012 at 12:46 am
(132) Sam says:

I went on the grapefruit diet for a week and lost 10lbs. For a couple weeks, I began eating other foods to shake up my diet. Then, for another week, I went back on the grapefruit diet and lost 5 pounds. I’m currently still on my second run with the diet. I lose about 1lb a day.

It works! Try it!

As for eating three meals a day, I’m not even hungry three times a day. Makes me wonder if the sheeple who suggest the “three meals a day” method are THINKING. Are you REALLY hungry three times a day? Come on. Society loves conformers!

April 26, 2012 at 12:49 am
(133) Sam says:

I have a word of advice for you individuals whom are on the grapefruit diet. Do it YOUR way. Screw obeying the diet guidelines.

Also, you can decrease your weight by eating apples and chicken.

I find that I achieve MORE when I do it MY way and NOT the way of society.

Thank you VERY much.

April 29, 2012 at 11:42 pm
(134) nachorooni says:

Rabbi, I have the same problem with the same dirty jews!

May 2, 2012 at 7:49 am
(135) Julienne Mark says:

i started yesterday the grapefruit juice on empty stomach in the morning and at night before i go to sleep. I noticed that in the middle of the night i felt my stomach ache for seconds and gone, probably because i have my monthly period too. Today is the second day of drinking the juice. This morning i checked my scale and it’s the same weight 62 kilos. I used to be thin now i gained so much. I hope to lose weight before 17th of this month. Is it okay to drink grapefruit juice while having monthly period? I want to drink 2 glasses this evening to speed the lost weight.

May 7, 2012 at 3:51 am
(136) mady says:

Hi, all i really get surprise when i read this article about grape fruit diet am 31 yrs old 5.7″ height and my weight is 257lbs my target is to get on 126 lbs i have to start this diet now , i take lots of thing for my weight loss but never try this one, but i didn’t get success i start it and come back for results after a week. thanks for sharing such informative articles.

May 9, 2012 at 3:30 am
(137) julienne mark says:

To Heloris,

May I know what you ate aside from drinking only grapefruit juice at night? I am drinking grapefruit juice first thing in the morning and at night before bedtime but i am not losing even one pound of weight. I control my food intake but seems not working. Please help me. Thank you.

May 13, 2012 at 12:54 am
(138) Blah says:

Grapefruit diet is a joke. This study was funded by Florida Grapefruit and is the only study I know of. Grapefruit contains no fat-burning properties. The grapefruit diet is a low calorie fad diet that doesn’t last and once finished bad habits tend to continue. Eating grapefruit tends to make you feel fuller if eaten prior to a meal, which helps you to eat less. Eat right, exercise and you will lose weight. Energy in/energy out is the only scientific way proven to lose weight. If you like grapefruit, eat it, if you don’t like it, than eat something else.

May 19, 2012 at 6:08 am
(139) Leelee says:

I am going to try this grapefruit diet so keep posted guys I will soon let u know if this works!!!!!!!

June 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm
(140) Kerry says:

After reading everyone’s comments I think this is the diet for me my cupboards r stocked and ready for me to start 2moz.I have always struggled with my weight and after having two children and hitting 30 it’s more of a struggle.I currently weigh 13st and would like to get down to 10.7st I will weigh myself in 10 days and let you know how I do.good luck to everyone else x

July 4, 2012 at 1:28 am
(141) michpdx says:

Another naturopathic student here. I only read the 1st few comments. I just think good job for the woman who cut Pepsi and started drinking the juice. I am on a weight loss journey as well, some people that aren’t may not have the empathy. That is a shame as I am also going to school to be a doc, and often don’t feel people around me have not understanding of some life issues. People need to stop saying/implying that everyone else is uneducated etc. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses. Some of us want to be rocket scientists or something, others just don’t!

As far a studies go, if someone was able to do a study and report on it, then that’s more info for us. As far as whether it works or not, I wouldn’t say no, unless I tried it myself, either an experimental study or on myself. With science there is no final/correct/absolute answer. It is based on hypothesis and lack of proving something wrong. I don’t agree fully, but people’s lives can be saved because of scientific discoveries. (Note: I do disagree with science trying to prove there’s no GOD!)… but I was a breach baby and a medical doctor delivered me by emergency c-section, I may not be here today if not. I drink grapefruit juice and feel bad because of the calories and the struggle I’m having losing the last 7 lbs of weight I need to lose, but I crave the juice. I’ll start juicing it myself and drink it more often and see what happens.

July 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm
(142) Jas says:

Hi, I’m going to try this . I have nothing to lose except a few pounds , hopefully. Some of these comments were quite funny, so thanks for the humour as well. Here goes…..

August 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(143) Rad says:

People who have commented that they would come back with results , I have’nt read about them since they have posted their comments in 2011 ! I want to know if this really works or people dont want to waste their time in updating the results !! As I badly want to loose weight !!
Please update your results guys !!

Heather

August 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm
(144) emmie says:

i read of grapefuit and started drinking it 3 times a day and eating nomary without dieting ,i lost 3kgs in 5 days .it is working

September 24, 2012 at 3:05 am
(145) Jo says:

Can anybody tell me who has actually lost weight if it matters what kind of grapefruit juice red or white you drink? I don’t like the taste of the white wondering if red could be any better?

September 30, 2012 at 1:31 pm
(146) shweta says:

Can we eat tofu if not beef i m vege…I had done this diet before and lost all of a sudden…trying to do today too…

October 5, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(147) cheryl says:

I have been on the grapefruit and egg diet. I have lost 14 pounds in 10 days. I don’t WANT to eat in between meals cause this diet makes you full. I drink coffee, black, and water with lemon or those added flavors. I want to continue this for the full 28 days and the results I have had make me want to continue this as a lifelong change. I can eat any meat as long as it it broiled, boiled or grilled. I use low at Italian dressings on my salads and just feel this is a good change. By the way, I have had two heart attacks in the past and my cholesterol levels have come down to just below 200 for the first time in many years.

November 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm
(148) Janmarie says:

i just started having grapefruit because i was tryin g to cut out sugary drinks and it was in a yard right next to me free of cost. so i replaced all my sweet drinks with grapefruit juice and i lost weight without doing anything else although i try to eat healthy everyday. i just lost weight and was wondering how come and someone told me it was all the grapefruit juice i had been drinking.

December 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(149) Antoinette Smith says:

Hey folks I am a living witness that the grapefruit juice diet works… A friend of my was fat and out of shape and now she is fine and fierce… I just started Monday and I was 186… Today is Saturday and I am 182… My goal is to lose 50lbs so I have 46 more pounds to go… I will get to my desired weight and keep it off!!! The cool thing about this diet is you do it for 12 days and stop for 2… Then repeat all over again!!!

December 8, 2012 at 5:48 pm
(150) Arletta says:

1) Fibre is a way of spelling fiber. I believe it is the difference between English (fibre) and American English (fiber). I could be wrong about that, but, I do know many people from the U.K. spell a great deal of things “wrong” according to people who learned to spell them some other way. It is only wrong, though, if they are in America, attending an American school or working in an American career.

2. No “fibre” person, any other fruit would not do the same. I haven’t even read all of this article (or whatever it’s called) so I don’t know what information is in it, or may be missing; but, what I do know is that grapefruit is something that is highly recommended for certain things related to detoxifying the body. (to be continued)

December 8, 2012 at 5:49 pm
(151) Arletta says:

People with yeast overgrowth find it very beneficial as it actively kills off the yeast. Grapefruit seed extract, to some degree, works better for a quick, effective attack when you really need to start attacking that yeast; but, grapefruit, with or without the peel and seeds, works in a way that makes you feel more healthfully supported by nutrition while you are attacking the yeast.

I have recently read literature which extols the virtues of adding grapefruit to your diet and it is was mostly about how grapefruit really helps to remove waste from your body. Other fruits may also do this, but, grapefruit is good at it in one way, whereas grapes, for instance, are good in another. Grapes primarily affect the blood and bowels more, while grapefruit affects the breakdown of fat and the cleansing of the liver, more.

I can tell you, from experience, that I, as an obese person who has severe issues with cortisol, a low level thyproid imbalance and Fibromyalgia, as well as allergies, greatly benefit from eating even just a grapefruit every now and again. I do lose weight, feel healthier, have better digestion, less pain and I can breathe easier. This does not happen with oranges, lemons, limes, or any other high fiber, high vitamin c, and/or high water fruit.

However, eating oranges, lemons. limes, blueberries, potatoes, celery, spinach and all sorts of other fresh fruits and veggies do help, as well, in other ways. Broccoli helps, too, in some ways -but, unfortunately, it negatively affects the thyroid and makes me more likely to gain weight, as does soy, whereas grapefruits positively affect the thyroid and make it more likely I will lose weight while eating a sensible quantity of healthy food and getting moderate exercise.

Not all foods are equal and grapefruit really does help people with thyroid problems and Fibromyalgia to lose weight – at least some people, when they can get it.

Sorry that you were insulted for spelling fiber “wrong”. Have a lovely day.

December 8, 2012 at 6:01 pm
(152) Arletta says:

Sorry for triple-posting, but, I saw this, posted by Peter:
“There are additional benefits when mixed with apple cider vinegar and/or green tea”
\
I’d love to know more about that. If you have any knowledge, regarding the use of grapefruit /grapefruit juice with green tea and/or apple cider vinegar, and what the added benefits of combining them are, please do tell!

December 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm
(153) kbaby says:

Hi everyone I’ve heard a lot of good things about the GFD so I am going to try it tomorrow so wish me luck and good luck to you all as well i will post again after the first 12 days.

starting wait: 233.6 lbs

December 30, 2012 at 6:10 pm
(154) Alexandria says:

I started the diet about 2 weeks ago, It really works within 4 days I lost 3lbs, I stopped the diet because I heard its caused blood clots with woman taking birth control medicine, but I asked my doctor and she gave me the Ok so Im back at it again I will keep you all posted

P.S I didnt do the diet as it is given I ate whatever I wanted but I did stay away from fried foods !

January 2, 2013 at 11:54 pm
(155) Ann says:

I started drinking grapefruit juice three weeks ago every morning and sometimes in the afternoon and i loss 9lbs.it really works

January 10, 2013 at 11:08 am
(156) Kim says:

Dora:

‘Fibre’ is the Canadian and British spelling style. Other examples include ‘colour’ instead of ‘color.’

February 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(157) elle317 says:

I’ve been eating grapefruit all year due to an awesome sale on it at HT. I’ve re-found my love for GF. Anyway, I really want to lose weight. I started out at 199lbs (Dec/12) and now I’m at 181lbs (Feb/13). I will be eating only grapefruit and spinach for a week. I need to break these “bad-food” binges I sometimes go on and nourish my body with natural food. I’m excited. I will return in 7 days with a weight update. I love to see how this thread has been going on for almost a decade. There most be something to it!

March 17, 2013 at 4:03 am
(158) Torah says:

I used to weigh 150 lbs . I used to eat pretty good , yes junk food the odd time and used to walk and lightly jog daily for an hour and 30 min. But I just culdnt being my wight down not even after all dat walking I did for 3 months! So as of January I started to eat just One grapefruit in the morning and wait an hour before eating breakfast, did this everyday, well still do of course accept now the odd time I wuld eat a grapefruit before retiring. After 2 months I couldn’t believe it when I stepped in the scale! I now weigh 143lbs! So 8 pounds lost! I definitely noticed a loss of appetite as well. I don’t eat large portions like I used to. I honestly can say I feel like a new person, I just feel lighter , more energy, lifted depression and believe me I got a lot to be depressed about! Lol I also eat like 2 bananas a day. :-)

March 17, 2013 at 4:03 am
(159) Torah says:

March 19, 2013 at 1:27 pm
(160) DANIEL says:

3-19-13 I just read this article–and i have been juicing lemons with protein mix and orange juivces–and or apple sauce– it makes a great awesome smoothie–
i am going to switch to grapefruit and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar—with orange juce and /or apple sauce in my juiceing blender–

i need to loose a 150lbs

i have been reading abouit the benefits of juicing lemons –grapefruits–parsely–dillweed–and all the other veggies and fruits–

all seem to be very healthy and good for us-

i will keep you posted on my progress

April 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm
(161) Donna says:

Years ago, I purchased a book called “The Fungus Link” by Doug A. Kaufman. He has several phase diets for your health. There are limited foods you can have in phase one. I lost 3 lbs every day. I got down to a great size and felt wonderful. Several years later I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. I wanted to use Mr. Kaufmann’s diet again but I was on medication that prevented grapefruit. I had to take very high doses of predisone which caused tremendous weight gain. I was just diagnosed with cancer. Since I am now off the medication, I am going to start Phase 1 back tomorrow. I am praying I can knock off 3 lbs. day and feel better. You really need to purchase this book. It has many details about many different diseases that stem from fungus in our bodies. A physician and a nurse assisted with the book. There is a world of interesting information in the book. I promise you will not be disappointed.

April 27, 2013 at 9:58 am
(162) asha ozil says:

how is actually we take grapefruit juice. before the meal or after.
how many grapefruit should we eat at a time.

i really want to try grapefruit regime in correct way

tq for the answer.

May 14, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(163) Lee says:

Cut the grapefruit in half then turn them on the flat side and just cut the top bit of the pith off on both pieces . This makes the grapefruit easier to eat and lies flat in the bowl .

June 23, 2013 at 11:27 pm
(164) Deb says:

Personally I love grapefruit, and its juice. It absolutely does work well for weight loss. My father was on the grapefruit diet back in the 1970′s. It was his Drwho put him on it after his heart attack.He had to lose 50 lbs, in 6 months.He did lose all that weight and kept it off. He also had to quit smoking after 40 years, which he did cold turkey, and never touched another one. All this saved his life, and the beauty of the grapefruit diet was that he could eat everything as normal, but just cut portion sizes. He use to have the acutal 1/2 grapefruit with every meal. He was a much happier man overall. This diet has been around for years. Its too bad graperuit is not rated higher in the Rosedale diet.

August 30, 2013 at 9:53 am
(165) Michele says:

This diet is working people. Eat meat and salad with half of grapefruit b4 every meal and you will see the results. I lost 4 kg in 10 days

October 10, 2013 at 8:26 am
(166) zafar says:

Does it help curing fatty liver

October 18, 2013 at 3:19 pm
(167) Alba says:

Hi guys do you know if you can eat fried sausages and cheese with the GFD, my mum did this diet in the 70′s and lost a couple of stones and that’s what she mostly eat along with the grapefruit but the plans I’ve seen recently don’t mention cheese, sausages or milk, any answers would be welcome ;)

November 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(168) CleveMom says:

I am in my first trimester of pregnancy, and although I am not dieting, I recently added grapefruit juice to my diet for the nutritional benefits and also to control weight gain. I haven’t noticed any difference in my weight, but one biggie for me is that when I have grapefruit juice for breakfast I don’t need my coffee!! Nothing else has ever given me an energy boost like that before, and the couple times I tried to have my coffee anyway, it was just gross to me. So woohoo, there goes my coffee addiction!

January 2, 2014 at 7:34 am
(169) Tony C says:

I learned of the benefits of grapefruit in the daily diet from Tim Ferriss. As an investigator and self-imposed guinea pig, he gets to the root of the claims and learns first hand why things either work or don’t.

Adding grapefruit and removing all other fruit, seem to be working for me personally.

January 8, 2014 at 1:22 am
(170) how to Sing opera says:

Excellent blog here! Also your website loads up very fast!

What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Look at my web site :: <a href=”http://Youtube.com/watch?v=nFkowIj9fis”>how to Sing opera</a>

January 9, 2014 at 1:25 am
(171) peter hawkins says:

I love grapefruit and at 60 and only a few pounds overweight I cannot really comment on the effacacy of it as a diet supplement. However I am well aware of the significant side effects of grapefruit and a large number of drugs. Grapefruit can increase the absorbtion of some drugs leading to many times the expected dose. It can retard the absorbtion of other drugs to the extent of getting no benefit. It is therefore well worth while to check with your pharmacist, or physician and do some internet research to make sure you or not putting your self at significant risk. Deaths have been atttributed to what has been a lethal cocktail of a prescription drug washed down with the morning grapefruit juice!

January 21, 2014 at 6:06 pm
(172) Sophie says:

I read these comments related to health and hear people still talking about using artificial sweeteners as a great, healthy alternative and they are worse from you than natural sugar. Not only have they been linked to things like cancer, the more immediate impact that got me to stop using sweeteners like Splenda was it throws off vital stomach functions – enzymes and bacteria that now more people are understanding the importance of to overall health including metabolism and digestion. Xylitol seems to be the healthiest of all but if you can avoid them and just use natural sweeteners sparingly – honey, agave syrups, etc. you are much better off. Today there’s even an article published showing that people who drink beverages sweetened with artificial sugars like Splenda eat more. I’d recommend people research for themselves but there is tons of evidence how much removing artificial sweeteners can have a significant and positive impact on your health.

February 3, 2014 at 3:33 am
(173) Vishal Patel says:

Here is a site where u can find all type of Pet and Dog Products with best price :- http://petplus.biz/

February 15, 2014 at 3:32 am
(174) akshay kumar pal says:

guys after having grapefruits with fruit and vegetable salad as a part of yur diet do some exercises or join a jim to burn calories. I was 105kg by weight now i am 65kg with six packs.

February 17, 2014 at 1:36 am
(175) Nutritionist from PAKISTAN says:

I recommend 8 months nutrition course:

1st month :

take 4 whole grapefruit daily
(peel off skin) skin is bitter

Leave Bakery items incl Pizza :-)

Leave fried food (Kfc, McDonalds etc)
Go for Subway low calorie sandwiches instead
Leave Junk food Donuts, Sweets
Use Thai Soup
Eat Whole Grain Bread –
(switch from white bread)
Eat Protein Foods ( Indian daal is best)
Use more veggies
Use skimmed milk (not more than 2.5 or 3 % fat)

Use my 1st month plan…. Get Amazed with Results!

Suhaib Abbasi

February 21, 2014 at 3:44 pm
(176) Katie says:

One of our local stores Aldi has 5lb. bags of grapefruit on sale occasionally during winter for $1.50/bag. I stock up and keep the grapefruit in our very cool laundry room in the winter. They do last for 3 weeks. My husband is battling skin cancer and the limenone in citrus is a potent cancer fighter.
Grapefruit has to be hand juiced since the pith is very bitter and just peeling it and putting it thru a twin gear juicer will make it so bitter you can’t stand to drink it. (I’ve done it before!) Hand juicing is pretty fast after I wash them cut them and remove most of the seeds. Citrus yields a lot more juice than carrot juice or juice from greens so, while it is on sale during the winter we are drinking a lot, for breakfast every morning! I put some honey in a 2 cup mason jar and shake it up when I have it full of grapefruit juice. We each drink one of these a day. Since I have started doing this we have lost weight but, we are not doing it for weight loss but better health. Terry has lost 12lbs in 4 weeks and I have lost 8lbs. in the same but, it was after the holidays and we were weighing more than we had all year! I think adding juice cuts your cravings for junk food but, even when I do indulge sometimes I feel better afterward. I think, due to its insulin regulating effect I read about.

February 23, 2014 at 1:13 pm
(177) kinesiology tape says:

I do believe all the ideas you have introduced on your post.
They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Still,
the posts are very brief for starters. Could you please prolong them a little from next time?
Thank you for the post.

March 3, 2014 at 11:55 pm
(178) Radhika Shah says:

Have learned quite a few things from your site. The information is crisp. Would love to visit back. Kind Regards.

March 25, 2014 at 9:19 pm
(179) products says:

I think that what you typed made a great deal of sense. But, think on this,
what if you were to create a killer headline?
I am not saying your content is not good, however suppose you added a post title that
makes people want more? I mean Grapefruit and Weight Loss:
The Grapefruit Diet is Alive and Well! is a little boring.
You should peek at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they
create news titles to grab viewers to open the links.
You might add a video or a related pic or two to grab readers interested about everything’ve written.
Just my opinion, it could bring your posts a little livelier.